The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rob learned how to play from season one."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

joatmon 68 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

07-13-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail joatmon Click to send private message to joatmon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rob learned how to play from season one."
After watching the first two episodes of season one it occured to me that there were a lot of similarities to Rob's play and what I was watching. One team begs a cab driver to kick out another team(and they actually got out), still another team makes an alliance then plans on breaking it, but also wants to keep using it to their advantage.

It doesn't seem like much of a family show yet. No complaining about that, it makes it more interesting, but there were some who complained Rob's play caused problems with watching TAR as a family. They must have started watching after season one.

Kevin

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rob learned how to play from se... Cleveland Guy 07-14-05 1
 RE: Rob learned how to play from se... RBA 07-17-05 2
   RE: Rob learned how to play from se... Earl Colby Pottinger 07-17-05 3
   RE: Rob learned how to play from se... newsomewayne 07-18-05 4
       RE: Rob learned how to play from se... DonnaLynn 07-23-05 5
 Being honest Femme 07-23-05 6
   RE: Being honest maggiebob 07-24-05 7
       RE: Being honest Femme 07-24-05 8
           RE: Being honest maggiebob 07-24-05 9
               RE: Being honest PepeLePew13 07-24-05 10
                   RE: Being honest maggiebob 07-24-05 12
                       RE: Being honest PepeLePew13 07-24-05 13
                       RE: Being honest ARnutz 07-24-05 14
           RE: Being honest CattyChat 07-24-05 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cleveland Guy 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-14-05, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleveland%20Guy Click to send private message to Cleveland%20Guy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rob learned how to play from season one."
I Agree.

Team Guido was plenty dirty, but there was no standard set yet.

I'm not going to say they did anything "wrong", but their play was far from clean, and if they were in later seasons like Romber, I'm sure they would have come up with other ideas as well.

The teams that play the game the best, are always labeled as the dirty teams, and while I didn't like Team Guido, for it being the first season, they played the game pretty well (Minus a BIG mistake in episode 9)

RBA 129 desperate attention whore postings

07-17-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RBA Click to send private message to RBA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rob learned how to play from season one."
LAST EDITED ON 07-17-05 AT 11:20 AM (EST)

I agree completely. I don't remember what season I started watching the Amazing Race, but all those you condemn Romber for "dirty tactics" and this has always been a "family show" are dead wrong.

There has been competitive game play since season 1 and it continued through all the seasons. Some of it has been pretty nasty.

The Guidos may take the cake.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-17-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rob learned how to play from season one."
Well I was surprised with how bad they were the last couple of seasons of TAR has spoiled me it seems. None of the remaining players are ones I would love to move in next door. The Lawyers would not be bad but we probably never become friends, the rest no thanks.

Maybe if I was twenty years younger the Frat boys as they will throw some wild and loud parties, but not at my present age.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-18-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rob learned how to play from season one."
Damn! They took the cake, too!?! I knew they played dirty, but geez.

The gwee-toes, imho, are the worst/best? villians so far. It was so conflicting watching them, because you want them to lose, but you know the show won't be as good without them. Some, like Jonathan, you just want gone. Not from the show, but from the planet.

Never delay the ending of a meeting or the beginning of a cocktail hour.

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-23-05, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rob learned how to play from season one."
>Some, like
>Jonathan, you just want gone.
> Not from the show,
>but from the planet.

I'll chip in $100 to get him on a Russian Space Ship...

--Donna :~)

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-23-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Being honest"
I have to say that I loved, loved, loved Rob's antics, and truly thought him clever and even rooted for he and Amber to win.

My rationale was that I really appreciated someone who showed up to play.

However, that must not be entirely true, for I do not respect the Guidos and their playstyle. I admire their ingenuity and creativity, and I do admire that they recognized what this game was before anyone else, but when they lied to the camera about what happened at the blocked airport gate (lied so effectively that I remain certain that they had even convinced themselves) I had nothing but hate for them

I just thought it interesting that I can defend Rob and Amber, yet despise Bill and Joe.

maggiebob 189 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-05, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail maggiebob Click to send private message to maggiebob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Being honest"
>
>I just thought it interesting that
>I can defend Rob and
>Amber, yet despise Bill and
>Joe.

I think that is interesting too, since Rob lied about so many more things than Bill and Joe. Rob lied to himself, the camera, and everyone else when he said he did not bribe the security guard at the train station not to give the other teams information about bus routes and timetables. He then justified stealing one team's cab after that team accused them (correctly) of lying about it. Don't kid yourself...Rob was every bit as low down and dirty as Team Guido...he just wasn't a middle-aged dorky gay man, and perhaps that makes him more palatable to a cross-section of the population.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-24-05, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Being honest"
Don't kid yourself... <...>he just wasn't a middle-aged dorky gay man,

Funny, middle-aged dorky gay men are usually my preferance to smarmy, conceited brat frat boys.

Rob was every bit as low down and dirty as Team Guido...

The difference, I think, was that Rob lied about what he did, but didn't really play the victim. He justified taking the cab, sure, but that's lightyears better than what Joe and Bill did after their little episode with "fuzzy memory."

The Guidos played up their "victimhood" to other contestants and to the camera, deflecting the accusations made against them by casting doubt onto The Festers. They had convinced themselves that they were the victims in that situation (that they themselves created) and then made accusations about the Festers being violent. They even had the puppydog eyes and the whole, "I'm just uncomfortable with that level of violence" soundbite.

It was as bad as what Ghandia did to that other contestant on Survivor several seasons ago. She messed up (as did the Guidos) and instead of sugarcoating the truth to make it more palatable, or plain old misremembering the situation, she made accusations about that other man that made him out to be a sexual predator. Just as making a man out to be a sexual aggressor is horrible, you also don't make someone of a different race than yourself out to be a racist (when the allegations are untrue) and you don't make a straight man appear homophobic and violent because you happen to be gay.

It was a cheap shot. Calling someone a liar, like Rob did, not so terrible. Calling someone violent while using your puppy dog eyes to convey something much more sinister than you are willing to say with actual words? Reprehensible.

I should have just not said anything. I feel really affronted by "Don't kid yourself" in your message. That stings a little, particularly when I was trying to be frank.

07-24-05, 04:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail maggiebob Click to send private message to maggiebob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Being honest"

>I should have just not said
>anything. I feel really affronted
>by "Don't kid yourself" in
>your message. That stings a
>little, particularly when I was
>trying to be frank.

Please don't feel affronted...I didn't mean to offend. I just don't think what the Guidos did was any worse than what Rob did throughout the season. Honestly if I had seen the first season of Amazing Race when it first aired I'm not sure I would have continued to watch, because it seemed to me that being a horrible person (as the Guidos were) was being rewarded. I definitely would not have continued to watch had the Guidos won. Just as I would have never watched another season had Rob and Amber won. The reality show genre makes it okay to be a horrible person if it means that you will get a million dollars in the end. Both the Guidos and Rob totally bought into that and that is what makes me dislike them. I don't think one is any better or worse than the other...they both were slimy and underhanded and really detracted from what I think is the spirit of AR.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-05, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Being honest"
Keep in mind the power of editing. Who's to say that Rob & Brennan didn't do slimy things of their own, or maybe Uchenna & Joyce (other than the airport thing in the final episode)?

Editing allows the producers to frame a storyline -- they know who has won and who didn't, so they can try to make the winners look better by focussing on their positive game qualities and make the also-rans look like villains. Flo was allowed to be edited as a whiny beyotch and it was still palatable to accept her team as a winner because of Zach's incredible patience and game skill that caused his team to win the race. Kendra had diarrhea of the mouth when it came to Africa, but with the Jonathan editing and later the Hayden editing, she came off smelling like a rose by comparison.

We've heard over and over that Victoria was just as bad as Jonathan in TAR6 (other contestants say this, too) but the editors went to work on Jonathan (deservedly so) but didn't make Victoria look so bad. Why? I don't know, you'd have to ask the editors, but they had a storyline in mind and maybe they were repulsed in particular with Jonathan's physical approach so they decided to do a hatchet job on him.

So... the Guidos were allowed to be edited the way they were because the producers knew they would be finishing third. If the Guidos had won, we'd probably have seen the airport fiasco with the Festers edited in a different way to favour the Guidos more. They'd have been edited in a more resourceful way and less in a confrontational, pathetic way.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

07-24-05, 01:18 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Being honest"
>Keep in mind the power of
>editing.

I am so sick of hearing that it is all about the editing. If you did not say or do something slimy, it could not be edited in. Who cares whether the other teams did or didn't do something that could be considered slimy? We are not talking about them - we are talking about the fact that the Guidos and Rob were slimy. The editing did not make them slimy...they made themselves slimy. And although I have not seen the entire seasons with Flo and Kendra I think they were both pretty despicable as well. Kendra NEVER came off smelling like a rose in my book - in fact when it became clear that they would win I turned the show off and didn't watch because I could not stomach such an unkind person being rewarded for her unkindness. I'm still not sure I'll continue to watch AR, but I definitely would not have continued to watch had Rob and Amber won right after a season where someone like Kendra won.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Being honest"
LAST EDITED ON 07-24-05 AT 01:43 PM (EST)

Like it or not, it IS about editing for the most part. There are hours and hours of footage for each team that are being snipped into 40 minutes total for each episode. There have been posters who have had behind-the-scenes experience who say there are a lot of stuff that are intentionally left out or scenes have been edited in that aren't in chronological order to create an impression of slimy behaviour when it actually didn't happen. More than a few contestants on TAR and Survivor have appeared on the Early Show and remarked "I was surprised by the editing because it didn't happen that way."

There are people out there who swear that Rob and Amber are great, down-to-earth people but we don't see that for the most part because the editors love editing them in a slimy way -- it worked as the proof is in the record number of viewers tuning in to watch TAR7. We all have our own warts and less than perfect behaviour but it can be greatly enhanced through the powers of editing. We have caught instances where sentences said by contestants were spliced in and words taken out to enhance a situation. You can choose to disagree with this (and have every right to do so), however it's been proven to happen on several shows including TAR and Survivor.

Here's an example. Chip and Kim stiffed a taxi driver at one point, but because the editors had made them look good over and over, viewers shrugged it off for the most part even though what they had done was probably slimy. By comparison, other teams who had also stiffed a driver or squabbled over the cost of a taxi ride were raked over the coals because they had already been edited negatively and it was 'another strike against them'.

Let's face it, it's virtually impossible to go through a race for 30 days or however long it is and be filmed 24/7 without saying one cross word or being caught in some less than ideal situation -- but for some teams, the editors have chosen to completely leave such situations out and for other teams, they leave them all in.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-05, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Being honest"
I'll echo Pepe's post about editing. There have been numerous contestants who have said (on the Early Show, in articles and whatnot) that their comments were taken out of context. It is the producers job to provide us entertainment, to make us love some teams and hate others. It keeps us talking and tuning in to see what happens next. Let's face it, if every team is really nice and lines up at the clueboxes in orderly fashion and performs the tasks without showing their frustrations, then it would be boring and shows like this would never be watched.

Turning the table, there must be times when even the nicest appearing teams face frustration and say bad things! I am a really patient person, I very rarely use vulgar language and I would enjoy the experience of this show, but I know myself and when the stress of travelling, language barriers and sleep deprivation combined with physical tasks got to be too much, I could certainly see myself blurting out things that aren't things I would usually say, calling other teams bad things and perhaps even cursing out of frustration! Just as editing can made a devil of someone, it could also make an angel of someone! I guarantee those teams that looked wonderful to the viewer had their fair share of bad stuff that was edited out.

Kendra NEVER came off smelling like a rose in my book - in fact when it became clear that they would win I turned the show off and didn't watch...

This was only clear to me when there was approximately 10 minutes left in the season finale when we saw Freddy & Kendra leave the pizzaria in Chicago and Kris & Jon were just arriving ... or maybe it was absolutely clear when Kris & Jon were stuck waiting for the train at the entrance to Ping Tom park, but that was what, 5 minutes before the season was over? It's not as if we could tell that Kendra was going to win in any earlier episode.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-24-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Being honest"
You hit the nail right on the head, Femme.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •