The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Variations on a theme?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

bookwomanblue 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-10-06, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bookwomanblue Click to send private message to bookwomanblue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Variations on a theme?"
After listening to Kelly's story today, it struck me that almost all of the women in the house this year have got the same basic story. Parental abandonment, addiction of one form or another, abuse, etc etc......I feel as if I'm listening to the same basic story with different embellishments. One of the things that first attracted me to this show was the diversity of the housemates. Now it seems that they try their best to find women that have the same issues. IMO it makes the show much more boring. Anyone else think so?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Variations on a theme? Baxtera 02-10-06 1
   RE: Variations on a theme? bookwomanblue 02-10-06 4
       RE: Variations on a theme? EMTBGRL 02-10-06 12
   RE: Variations on a theme? MizJazmine 02-11-06 16
 RE: Variations on a theme? toyota73 02-10-06 2
 RE: Variations on a theme? crazygroupiegirl 02-10-06 3
   RE: Variations on a theme? JessicaRN 02-10-06 5
       RE: Variations on a theme? Baxtera 02-10-06 6
           RE: Variations on a theme? snowflake2 02-10-06 7
               RE: Variations on a theme? bookwomanblue 02-10-06 8
                   RE: Variations on a theme? OklaBlue 02-10-06 10
               RE: Variations on a theme? JessicaRN 02-10-06 9
                   RE: Variations on a theme? Baxtera 02-10-06 11
                       RE: Variations on a theme? OklaBlue 02-10-06 13
                       RE: Variations on a theme? lovemydogdude 02-10-06 14
                           RE: Variations on a theme? OklaBlue 02-10-06 15
                               RE: Variations on a theme? lovemydogdude 02-11-06 18
                               RE: Variations on a theme? snowflake2 02-12-06 19
               RE: Variations on a theme? MLP4evr 02-11-06 17
                   RE: Variations on a theme? SOFANinGA 02-12-06 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-10-06, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
I'm just wondering if we'll ever get any guests that are there with problems that SO is really capable and qualified to deal with and not canidates for serious therapy which by definiton Rhonda and IV both admit they are not certified or educated to provide.

When this last guest was introduced I started to question my own purpose in watching. The topics this show is taking on are becoming more Jerry Springer like every day and sadly the integrity with which these guests real issues are dealt with is only slightly higher than Springer's zoo pack. Rhonda locking people in cages, boxes, etc. hardly seems like it's much above Jerry these days.

I was hoping the new guest would be someone who would bring some balance to the show by having a more achievable goal. Instead we have another canidate in need of real serious therapy handed over to two women neither who has the training or background to give her what she needs. I'm saddened by her story but I'm truly asking myself how I can watch these women obviously brought on because their stories are sensational and with the reality that neither IV or Rhonda are qualified to deal with their issues.

Foolish me but I am starting to realize that SO must have hired some of Springer's cast offs to produce and write the show. I foolishly thought this was a show designed to help women with a specific achievable goal to change their lives do so. I didn't realize this was supposed to be a chance to teach pych students every where what not to do with their future patients.

02-10-06, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bookwomanblue Click to send private message to bookwomanblue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Variations on a theme?"

I
>foolishly thought this was a
>show designed to help women
>with a specific achievable goal
>to change their lives do
>so. I didn't realize
>this was supposed to be
>a chance to teach pych
>students every where what not
>to do with their future
>patients.

I agree with you that this was the original purpose of the show. Once MaryEllen Bunim died, the purpose changed dramatically. It began last season, imo, and has gotten worse this year with every housemate.

I never thought I'd long for the days of Teresa's financial problems or Amy's job search!

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-10-06, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
or Sinae learning to become independant, which I could relate to as I watched my friend Scott going through the same thing. I can't imagine what going blind would be like...and although I didn't like Sinae all the time, her issues seemed to be something concrete that could be dealt with in the SOH and supported by other women, LC's and professionals TRAINED to help the blind become independant. I rooted for Sinae. Yeah! You got back to the SOH by bus! You did it! You did it! Concrete. She's in college now. Good for her. The new ones? What's to root for? Tupperware party successes and crappy art pictures? nothing of "substance." Seriously lacking in Season 3 imho

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-11-06, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Baxtera...wow...I hear ya. SO is on my chopping block. I don't think I will be watching another season. For me it's just not healthy and I don't like the way I "feel" watching this show and my participation. It doesn't feel good. Like I've said before, I've always thought the concept was beautiful but the reality is so far from that. Too bad, IMO they could have had one powerful show. It's sad because I think women deserve better, and in watching then reflecting on it - I deserve better.

toyota73 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-10-06, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toyota73 Click to send private message to toyota73 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Yes, I agree. I haven't heard new Kelly's show yet as it hasn't aired here yet...but the themes do seem to be the same. They should put a lesbian on the show and mix it up a bit and watch the sparks fly and the back stabbing begin all over again! They're all too nice right now...

crazygroupiegirl 46 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-10-06, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail crazygroupiegirl Click to send private message to crazygroupiegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
I think the only story that has been different was Jessica's because her mom never chose to abandon her. She died in a plane crash by terrorists.

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-10-06, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Remember the first season of women. Their goals were measurable and attainable. For instance: Hannah wanted to become an auctioneer, Karen a costume designer, Brenda - a new career path after divorce, Rain - to get off welfare, Susan - to find her father, Kimberlyn - to get her driver's license. They were not always all successful, but it was easy to see how there was a definite plan that built towards achieving their goals. I'm not sure how anyone can measure when a person has achieved their goal of "being authentic", "fully connecting", or "being a woman of honor." How do you know when you are "done"?

02-10-06, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Exactly how do you know when you achieved such undefined goals?

I also question the ethics of the techniques and the qualifications of life coaches to providing therapy to women with real needs for therapy and not just coaching on how to reinvent themselves or to find a new career path, or a new approach to their lives. These issues seem like SO is becoming the Dr. Phil house without a panel of Dr. Phil's. I realize Dr. Stan is there but he isn't the guiding force of the show and it does seem like Rhonda and IV cross the therapy lines more and more.

I find myself longing for someone who wants a new career, wants to move across country and relocate, something anything achievable.

snowflake2 1499 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-10-06, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snowflake2 Click to send private message to snowflake2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
I agree...the show has moved far away from women working towards concrete ACHIEVABLE goals that LC's are equipped to handle. Now it's trying to be psychotherapy. It makes me miss the days of goals such as "Get off of welfare", "Learn to drive", "Find a job", "Find my father", etc.

I don't know if the change is due to the death of the producer or if it has to do with Iyanla replacing Rana, with a more "mystical" sense of life coaching, or some combination of the two.

I am also sick of how they keep adding "goals" for the women along the way. By the time a woman is ready to get pushed out of the SO House, her typical "goal list" looks like this:

"I need to:

---lose weight

---diagnose & treat all my medical conditions

---find a job/career change/start a business

---find a husband/boyfriend (or alternately, if she already has one, to get rid of him)

---find my Daddy

---have a "fierce conversation" with my mother

---handle my finances

---learn to flirt

---reconnect with my sister

---learn how to have friends

---get rid of all addictions

---make plans to relocate

---learn to love myself

---be happy la la la

Isn't any one of these goals enough to handle over a couple of months' time?? There are way too many goals going on at once now, and these women are graduating without making any significant progress.

02-10-06, 03:14 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
You have a point, snowflake, that I hadn't taken into account. You are most likely right about part of the change being due to Iyanla's influence. Even with Dr Stan on board, I think this show has truly wandered into very dangerous territory with houseguests like Kim, Christie and probably Kelly. These three women have had such damaging lives and need so much intense therapy, I really worry what will happen to them once they are out of the house.

If the show does come back next year, I hope they go back to the original concept. The first season of SO was unique and truly uplifting. I haven't felt uplifted by anyone's progress this year, except maybe TJ. And then I was primarily happy because TJ got out of there without any permanent damage being done!

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-06, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
You guys have said it all, right on the mark!

I don't want SO to return like it is this season. The original idea, with the women who had attainable specific goals was better, IMO. And they were on track to providing for themselves and their families. Not fitting into an IV "Universe".

Once you have yourself and your family taken care of, then you can move out into the world and do something more "universal".

It's like young marrieds who want to start with everything their parents have. The parents have worked a lifetime to get what they have! Build a foundation, then the house.

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-06, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
That is a really good point Snowflake that I hadn't quite put together before. Jill, for instance, came in to loose weight and is now on Iyanla's favorite mission of finding a long-lost father. I understand that issues are often related, but it's beginning to seem like one day, out of the blue, it is announced that they will graduate and the only thing that has happened after all of these months is that more issues are now opened and unresolved then when they arrived.

02-10-06, 03:59 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
It is strange how they come in with one focus and it seems whether they choose to or not they are put on entirely different programs of action based on the whims of the coaches.

I really do worry about the danger that Rhonda and IV could be doing to some of these women if these issues are real and not faked for tv. I can't imagine how they are possibly equipped to handle therapy situations and looking at the stuff they put TJ who was rather strong through it scares me to think about what they could do to these other women.

02-10-06, 06:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
A new series: "SURVIVOR - Starting Over House"

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-06, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-06 AT 06:56 PM (EST)

I agree that the women all have similarities but there's still quite a variation IMO. I think life is full of alot of women with similar problems and it doesn't surprise me that many of them could relate to one another...Especially with the complex issues they're dealing with this season. I agree that they could have chosen to cast these women in this order for this very purpose.

I feel your pain y'all Yes it seems the house has taken an unethical turn. These HG's are dealing with very serious problems that will need much more than a couple months of crackerjack counceling. The SOH was more respectable when they tackled issues that they could handle. Now that they're dealing with such fragile women we have even higher expectations of them..and they're failing miserably. AND..at the same time they've increased their dramatics significantly..and the whole supposed purpose of the house seems lost in the rubble.

I think I'm going to stop watching LOL I'm hooked and they know it..are they making these changes to get the Jerry Springer viewers too and increase their ratings? They already had US hooked..now they want it all!? I've found myself actually slowly giving into their new concept, watching the show with high hopes for the women while looking for all the things that drive me crazy...and then coming here to b!tch about them LOL

02-10-06, 06:59 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-06 AT 07:00 PM (EST)

You make a good point on the amount of time the LC has to deal with these major problems. Looks like about 6 to 8 or 10 weeks max. They are in late October at the moment. Jill's letter to Dad was dated Oct 18. The roses are still in full max bloom outside the house as we saw today, but it is chilly enough for hoodies. Late Oct.

Not sure when they start up, probably August. But the show viewing season is Oct-May.

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-06, 01:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Seems like they're staying more like 3 months now. This season they're staying longer than usual right? (they'd need to in order to even get close to dealing with some of these issues) I'm curious what the average time of stay was thought to be before this season? (I only started watching at the end of last season so I don't have much to compare it to.)

snowflake2 1499 desperate attention whore postings

02-12-06, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snowflake2 Click to send private message to snowflake2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-06 AT 11:53 AM (EST)

OklaBlue wrote: <<Not sure when they start up, probably August. But the show viewing season is Oct-May.>>
--------------------------------------------------------------
The new season started very early in September. (Sept. 9th, I think.) They would have to start up way before August, since they like to be about three months ahead of viewing.

And considering that the show started in the beginning of September, it's ridiculous IMO that there's STILL an original HG in the house, and that Lisa only left last week. They've let some of the original women stay WAY too long. Then by the end of the season, they'll probably be rushing women out of there, like last year.

MLP4evr 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-11-06, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MLP4evr Click to send private message to MLP4evr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
Yep, my felings exactly. I only started watching last season, so I don't really know what it was like, but it seems like the show, as much as I truly love it, is tackling increasingly nebulous, widespread, general life issues. It seems like all I hear on the show is "trust yourself", "be honest", "fight for your life", etc. over and over and over again, no matter what the situation.

Maybe the producers would benefit from restructuring the way the women start out in the house: each woman could come in with ONE narrow, specific task or challenge that is standing in between her and her future. If deeper life issues present themselves in relation to acheiving this task/challenge, then those issues become their steps.

Also, does anyone else feel like many (or perhaps all) of the women on the show are coming from relatively bourgois, middle class lifestyles? I suppose Christina was an exception, and maybe Jill.

SOFANinGA 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-12-06, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOFANinGA Click to send private message to SOFANinGA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Variations on a theme?"
I feel like the Woman on the show are from the bourgeois middle class lifestyles. But I think that's when most (not all)lower to middle age woman say they are looking within themselves. Whether it be the kids are out of the house, work isn't where they had hoped to be at this stage of the game, or some woman have stayed in unfulfilling relationships. I think most woman have asked themselves the question, "is that all their is" once or twice in their lives..... it takes guts not to be ambivilant in any situation.
But in the earlier SO house the casting were more different in that the woman were not only representing different age groups, they had very different hangable goals. I liked the earlier years too..........maybe it is time the show ran it's course?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •