The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"It's not about the money"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

iwannabearealitystar 592 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-09-05, 01:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail iwannabearealitystar Click to send private message to iwannabearealitystar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"It's not about the money"
Much speculation this season that Rob hooked up with Amber for her million, but I doubt this is the case. Stranger things have happened, but it's realy not that simple.

First of all, a million isn't really a million. By the time the government takes their share it's more like 400,000. Obviously, that's nothing to sneeze at, but, depending on what kind of person you are, that $ can set you up for life or you can blow it really quick. If Amber is smart (and, contrary to what many others think, I believe she is) that money was invested and used to her advantage, not Robs. Whatever she chooses to share or not share with him is up to her. Assuming this is the case (that she invested a portion of the money), a decent advisor wouldn't allow her to squander it based on her fiances whims. Not to mention, again, if she's smart (see above) there's probably a pre-nup. Bottom line, there was/is never any guarantee Rob would "cash in". Besides, he got close to 6 figures, after taxes, for coming in second.

There was also specualtion that they had to wait to marry due to a rule stating that contestants can't share the prize. I don't think this makes much of a a difference. Most people wait a little while before they marry anyway, plus if they were negotiating a wedding and a TAR apperance, they were going to hold out for the best deal, if they were going to get one (which they eventually did). Sharing the prize isn't with another contestant isn't the same as getting married to someone you fell in love with on the show. It's not like she's going to write him a a big check.

There was also never any real guarantee the engagement was going to lead to a wedding anyway (see: Wilbanks, Jennifer).
In which case, Rob still gets nothing.

They treat each other very nicely on the show, and I believe that he does care for her as a person. They just "met cute". I don't know why it's hard for some people to believe that he loves her for her--and not b/c she won some cash.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: It's not about the money RealityMom 05-09-05 1
 RE: It's not about the money Dakota 05-09-05 2
   RE: It's not about the money RealityMom 05-09-05 3
   RE: It's not about the money CouchTater 05-10-05 4
       RE: It's not about the money trudy 05-10-05 5
       RE: It's not about the money drtantalum 05-10-05 6
           RE: It's not about the money protagonist 05-10-05 7
           RE: It's not about the money Dakota 05-10-05 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: It's not about the money"
I'm hoping that tomorrow night there'll be a fairy tale ending to what I think is a true love match. If you think back to the way Rob talked about Amber during his confessionals in All-Stars, his face definitely had the look of a man with a major crush that deepened into much more. He'd speak of her beauty and how to him, the win was the girl and the money- he wanted both. His love for Amber is what cost him the million. I think several members of the jury- certainly Lex and Kathy- didn't vote for Amber but against Rob. I can still see Rob going over to Lex and saying "Save my girl". I think the money is a bonus but he considers the real prize is Amber.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-09-05, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: It's not about the money"
Can't imagine they'd still be together if it wasn't the real thing--loooooove. The million Amber won and the TV proposal from Rob probably got them both a lot of magazine and tv deals, more than a single survivor. Amber hosted a Survivor special, we saw them on a magazine cover, etc. So there's more to this twosome than the million that Amber won. And that's probably one of the reasons they're intent on winning TAR. Rob also really enjoys this reality tv, competitive thing. And Amber will go with him anywhere. I do not hope they win this. Rob's attitude towards the competition in Survivor, Survivor All Stars and now TAR, is that he is not only willing to lie and backstab his way to the finish line (often necessary in this reality tv thing), but to him that's part of the fun. He loves conning and scamming the competition and then laughing at how dumb they are. His frequent insults about his competition, while thumping his chest and patting himself on the back is not something I admire in anyone. But he is smart, he is athletic, he is focused and definitely entertaining.
As a couple, I believe their feelings for each other are real. Whether it will outlast their extended 15 minutes, no one knows.
And I'd love to see Ethan and Jenna on TAR sometime soon. Even Rupert and someone. That would be kewl. I like the cross-RTV show thing we're seeing.
Would anyone else like to see Simon on Survivor? How about Omarosa? Perhaps we need another dream team thread.
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-05, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: It's not about the money"
Hi, Dakota,
I thought it would be fun to have unique pairings on a future TAR, so I started a "What if" thread on the TAR fanatics board. It's on page 3 now but I'd love to see some more couples. I think that Jenna and Ethan would be great together. Ethan is one of my all-time favorites. The list I started was for couples that have had explosive relationships in the past but for the show to be good, there would also have to be a balance of couples who have good relationships from the beginning.

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-10-05, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: It's not about the money"
>>>The million Amber won and the TV proposal from Rob probably got them both a lot of magazine and TV deals, more than a single survivor. Amber hosted a Survivor special; we saw them on a magazine cover, etc. So there's more to this twosome than the million that Amber won. And that's probably one of the reasons they're intent on winning TAR. Rob also really enjoys this reality TV, competitive thing. And Amber will go with him anywhere.<<<

I'm really curious to see what will happen with them when their 15 min. are over. I hope they will stay together, but the foundation of their relationship so far is rooted in reality TV and not the real world. If Rob is addicted to the rush of reality TV games he might go through withdrawal. He certainly can't act out all of that lying, scheming, gloating, and knocking others in the real world. People tell him to go shove it.

I think it will be interesting though to see what happens. Maybe they will try another reality TV show to keep it going. Fear Factor anyone?

What do you guys think?

trudy 171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-10-05, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trudy Click to send private message to trudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: It's not about the money"
"the foundation of their relationship so far is rooted in reality TV and not the real world"

I think (but since I don't know them personally I really don't know) that their relationship might be more closely tied to trust. In A$$ they actually had to totally trust each other and no one else - that could be a pretty exceptional relationship bond. Again in TAR it seems they are content to trust each other and stay at arms length emotionally from the other racers because they have learned to do that from Survivor. It's a winning strategy but I'm sure it takes a little practical experience. Rob seems to be totally crazy about Amber, he even shuts up and agrees when she speaks, I found that telling. Some people are just meant to be together and they might be happy to be away from the cameras soon so they can actually go out and lead their life.

drtantalum 36 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-10-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drtantalum Click to send private message to drtantalum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: It's not about the money"
>but the foundation of
>their relationship so far is
>rooted in reality TV and
>not the real world.

No offense but how the heck do you know what the foundation of their relationship is? Yeah they met on a reality TV show and the contrived nature of the circumstance of the game. However, it was not even a contrived circumstance trying to end up in marriage like the Bachelor/Bachelorette. This appears to have just happened and blossomed...it isn't much different than any other relationship. you meet someone, quite often unexpectedly, you hit it off nearly immediately, spend many hours together over a short span of time together and it progresses from there.

protagonist 101 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-10-05, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail protagonist Click to send private message to protagonist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: It's not about the money"
I don't think he is with her for the money. Still don't want them to win though.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-10-05, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: It's not about the money"
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-05 AT 04:24 PM (EST)

While I can't read CouchTater's mind, I took that to mean that's how they met, fell in love, got engaged. While still enjoying their 15 minutes from Survivor, they're now on TAR. So reality tv has played a major part in their relationship and is still very much a part of their lives. And the point is valid that the lying, scheming, hard-nosed competition stuff isn't typical in everyday life -- and Rob obviously thrives on it. When their reality tv fame fades, they will have to adjust to life out of the limelight.
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •