The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8325 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-24-01, 02:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
LAST EDITED ON 06-26-01 AT 00:59 AM (EST)

Emerging from the doorway, a boy. Looks fourteen, is sixteen. A month-old driver's license is in his right hip pocket, sandwiched between a photo of his girlfriend (looks seventeen, is fifteen, no driver's license yet; coincidentally, she's been his girlfriend for a month and will be until she herself turns sixteen) and a condom he'll not use for another two years, but will admire often, almost as often as the driver's license.
He has just attended a college seminar on the politics of feminism, a course his sister dearly loves, but which he did not understand. Nevertheless, he is in high spirits; attending the course was his sister's price for teaching him how to drive stick shift.
Her car is (of course) a Volkswagen Bug, a car she bought with one hundred dollars of waitressing tips. Last summer, it had taken her around the country to an impressive number of Grateful Dead shows; now, it takes her to abortion clinics around the state, where she takes part in counter-demonstrations. A dancing bears decal, a remnant from her deadhead days, is in the rear window, just underneath a campus parking sticker. On the rear bumper are two stickers. One reads, "Meat is Murder," the other, "Pro-Clinton Pro-Choice."
He is eager to start his lesson. She suggests a parking lot by the Safeway they tore down, drives them there. She explains the clutch and the gears to him and notes that Bugs are best to learn on because they're the hardest. "Once you can drive a Bug, you can drive anything," she says. Her mouth is smiling as she says this, but her eyes are not. He notices, finds it odd, because her eyes have always been unusually expressive. He doesn't comment on it, though; he wants to take the wheel.
They switch seats and he turns the ignition, puts the car in gear, pops the clutch, and stalls as the car jerks forward. "Shit," she says, and he apologizes, but she just shakes her head and explains the balance needed between the gas and the clutch.
He nods and starts the car again after putting it in neutral. This time, he revs it too high and the car peels out as he lets out the clutch. "Shit," she says again, and again he apologizes, and again she shakes her head and offers new instructions.
For about an hour, it goes like this: he, making mistakes, she, saying "shit" and correcting him. Finally, he is driving smoothly, shifting well (though not perfectly) and yet she says "shit" again. And it finally dawns on him that his driving has nothing to do with her saying "shit."
He looks over at her and is surprised to see her crying. Tears are running off the tip of her nose. He stops the car and he, too, says, "Shit."
"Yup," she says. "Shit."
And he says, "Don't cry."
And she says, "I'll cry if I God damned want to."
"Okay," he says, and they sit, completely quiet but for the occasional sound of a tear hitting the seat.
A long time. He thinks he'll turn seventeen before they speak again.
Finally, she looks at him and says, "Guess what?"
And he's about to say "what?" but he decides to make a joke. Widening his eyes, he says, "You're pregnant."
But she doesn't laugh. She just looks at him and says, "Shit."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson unknownsurvivor 06-25-01 1
 RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson Survivorchick 06-25-01 2
   RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson SherpaDave 06-26-01 3
       RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson mistofleas 06-26-01 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

unknownsurvivor 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

06-25-01, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unknownsurvivor Click to send private message to unknownsurvivor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
very good dave I had a freind whos sister was big in the anti-abortion thing and we were joking around with her one day and made the joke that she was pregnate and she got the most lost look on her face and then started crying. She was pregnate and had not told her parents yet and was just getting ready to go off to collage.

Unknownsurvivor

Survivorchick 1161 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-25-01, 09:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorchick Click to send private message to Survivorchick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
Good story Dave
But I'm confused. There are three typos in the first four lines. When I noticed this, I checked the name of the poster again. Yep - it's Sherpadave alright. Hmmm... I don't get it. I thought there must be some sort of significance. As I noticed additional typos throughout the story, I became more puzzled. I KNOW that you would never unintentionally leave so many typos in your text. Still, I just don't understand their relevance to the story. Could you explain this to me?

Survivorchick

SherpaDave 8325 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-01, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
Um... it was late? I was writing an episode? I was stressed? Yeah, yeah, that's it.

Gawd, how humiliating.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-01, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC(CW) Driving Lesson"
LAST EDITED ON 06-26-01 AT 10:26 AM (EST)

Thank goodness... now at least I know you're human and not a spelling cyborg!!
I like the story Dave...brother/sister relationships are a good topic because there are so many dynamic's involved. Your male character sounds like a great guy. Did you base him on you?

--thinks Sherpa is one talented dude

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •