The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

auburnsportzfan 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-27-04, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail auburnsportzfan Click to send private message to auburnsportzfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Which Idol winner/significant challenger will have had the most and least success (please explain reason for choices) at say, the 5 yr mark in their career. I ask this because I believe career logevity will tell the true Idol Winner. My choices are as follows:

Most Success: Fantasia - retro-style singer that will bring back memories for older individuals and provide something different for the young ones. Current popular artist/producers who are eager to work with her.

Least Success: Clay - Even though currently doing very well, I believe he is the, "Flavor of the Month". Michael Bolton comes to mind when I think of Clay. A white Contemporary/Pop male vocalist who burst onto the scene only to eventualy fade away and later be ridaculed. The track record for such an artist is not in his favor ( Michael Bolton, Ricky Martin, Kenny Loggins, etc..)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I would like to pose a question... ALIAS 05-27-04 1
 RE: I would like to pose a question... nailbone 05-27-04 2
 RE: I would like to pose a question... Pepito 05-27-04 3
   RE: I would like to pose a question... seahorse 05-27-04 4
 RE: I would like to pose a question... buff10000 05-27-04 5
   RE: I would like to pose a question... cheri26158 05-28-04 6
       RE: I would like to pose a question... Pepito 05-28-04 7
           RE: I would like to pose a question... cheri26158 05-29-04 9
 RE: I would like to pose a question... callalilly3000 05-29-04 8
 RE: I would like to pose a question... FlattFan 05-29-04 10
 RE: I would like to pose a question... steppingrazor42 05-29-04 11
   RE: I would like to pose a question... Karennz 05-30-04 12
 RE: I would like to pose a question... dirtysouth 05-31-04 13
   I don't get the Macy Gray compariso... DontGetMeStarted 05-31-04 14
 RE: I would like to pose a question... geekboy 06-01-04 15
   RE: I would like to pose a question... callalilly3000 06-01-04 16
       RE: I would like to pose a question... rnabring 06-02-04 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ALIAS 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-27-04, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ALIAS Click to send private message to ALIAS Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 03:14 PM (EST)

Not sure a long sucess is possible for anyone...The way everyone gets chewed up and spit out in the pop world i doubt anyone discovered a Whitney houston or Madonna, Michaul Jackson, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey... Those artists sold over 20 millions albums and were out there at a time when there was something original about pop music...Nothing original about pop music anymore.

Fantasia i think might be one of the worst...Think Macy Gray here !!!

Ruben has the only shot to really develop a career...Sticking with Soul/RB ( Luther Vandross, Brian McKnight Style) will keep him in the business long..If Ruben has a Shot to Dump Simon and Sign with Quincey Jones..He better take it.

In all Honesty...All the "Idol" cd's coming out in 2004 will be in the burgain section by the winter when they release the "Very merry Idol Christmas"!!! Also...Rehab is in the Future for people like Clay and Kelly !!!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-27-04, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 03:49 PM (EST)

It's all in the marketing, and finding a niche. Ruben and Clay both can do well in their niche, but not as a mainstream act.

Fantasia is new and unusual, but Macy Gray does come to mind. I think she'll put on a GREAT concert, but radio play won't come across as well.

I think Kelly has the best chance for long-term success, if handled right, because she has more range and versatility than the rest and can adapt to changing styles with the market.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-27-04, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
I think Kelly, Tamyra, Clay, Ruben, Diana and Fantasia will all have long and successful careers, barring any personal actions or (bad) decisions that they may choice to make.

The least likely to succeed is Justin. Second least likely to succeed is Kim L.

Justin is nowhere land right now, which can be a difficult place to climb out of.

Kim L. doesn't seem to be one that will take on a true understanding of the business and herself, or to work hard enough in the right way, and to allow herself to be managed in the right way, to be a long term success, despite her talent.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-27-04, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
I think Justin already had his 15 minutes of fame.

buff10000 22 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buff10000 Click to send private message to buff10000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
The most successful based on her talent, good looks and class will be Latoya London. She was definately the best of this year's competition and possibly of the best ever.

The least successful will probably be Ruben, who's CD's are already on the $1.99 shelf however, it could be Fantasia because she has limited talent and personality along with a bad attitude. Fantasia will be a lounge performer in 5 years, mark my words. Unless of course Simon keeps hyping her.

cheri26158 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-28-04, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cheri26158 Click to send private message to cheri26158 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-04 AT 08:26 PM (EST)

cheri

I have seen this written over and over. Fantasia and her limited talent. I suppose Elton John, Simon, Randy, Paula, Barry Manilow, Gloria Estephan etc... don't know what they are talking about when they say she is a rare talent. My guess is she may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I think you will see her achieve heights of success not even seen yet by one of the AI contestants.

Ruben's album Soul is not in the 1.99 section yet. It is still selling strong. But I have seen Clay's for 4.99 at the drug store. Ruben has his audience. I think he has the R and B sound. Unless one is into R and B, one may not see it.

Latoya London is a great singer and I think she can gain success if she doesn't come across as the ice queen to her audience. That is why she was voted off Pf AI. She was absolutely beautiful, great voice, mature and proper. But her proper doesn't seem to connect with everyone.

Clay is a Wow personality. His 13 year olds will be living for a long time. I like this kid for his spunk and camera ready savvy. Dianna Digarmo has this too. She is gracious. I expect she will have a lovely career due to that as well.

Kelly great talent and one of my favoite voices but she has seemed to fall off the face of the earth lately. After Miss Independent, I thought that she was just going to take the world by storm. Instead at the height of this release, she left World Idol early after she learned she didn't win. Maybe she has gotten too full of herself.

Just a few thoughts. cheers and good memorial weekend to everyone.

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-04, 08:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
> But I have seen
>Clay's for 4.99 at the
>drug store.

Actually, that's just his single (only 2 songs on it...) that you in the drug store for $4.99...

cheri26158 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-29-04, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cheri26158 Click to send private message to cheri26158 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Thanks pepito, I didn't pick it up. I thought it was odd to be in a CVS. I had never seen CD's there. now 4.99 for two songs.. YIKes! haha. I like Clay I could see buying it. thanks and cheers.

cheri

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-04, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
To be honest, I really don't think any one from AI is going to have real staying power.

I love Clay to death, and I hope he is around for a long time, but, I don't see him reinvented himself over the years. You can't keep putting out the same type of music over and over, and expect the public to keep on buying it. Granted, he has only released the one CD, but can he do something different? That is the question, and if he does, will he be just as successful.

I think all of the AI people have one thing in common. That is AI itself. As long as that show stays on the air, we will continue to hear the names, Ruben, Kelly, Clay, Tamrya, Fantasia. But when it's over, will we continue to hear from them, or will they fade away? In other words, right now, they all have AI to fall back on, but when the show is over, will they be over too?

People are funny, they love one singing sensation one minute, and the next minute your a has been.

So, it really remains to be seen doesn't it? I wish them all long and happy careers, and as long as they put out top notch music, I will purchase their CD's.

FlattFan 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-29-04, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FlattFan Click to send private message to FlattFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
I dissagree.

I think the most success would be Josh Gracin from AI2. Because he's going a differnt route than all the others. Country music has staying power as it is becoming increasginly more popular. Country music is the most popular music in the United States. Josh does it well, and has a large fan base.

Ruben could also be very successful, if he markets himself the right way. There is a void to be filled, Ruben can fill it.. if he chooses. If he doesn't its down the tubes for Ruben.

Diana DeGarmo could have staying power. I think if she waits a little while, until after the tour at least to throw anything at people. She'll have good timeing, people will miss her and she can spice things up. She has an amazing voice, I think Diana could go far.

The least success I believe would go to Fantasia. Macy Gray happened already, I think she'll have one hit, and die down.

Justin Guarini will have no more sucess he is done.

Clay Aiken will die down, and that will be all from him.

K Lo will be a one hit wonder. She could do good with her album, but that will probably be it.

steppingrazor42 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-29-04, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail steppingrazor42 Click to send private message to steppingrazor42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Kim L. definitely will be the one hit wonder.

Clay: will die out eventually his only chance is to move on to Broadway or something.

Josh G.: Will gain a faithful following in the country community.

Kim Caldwell: Eek! when is her "rock" CD coming out? I don't want to even go there.

I think all of the winners have the ability to have a successfull career, it's what they do with the fame. I'm scared that people will only see them as American Idols, and in 5-6 years they'll have a difficult time breaking out of the stereotype.
Tamyra seems to be pretty well rounded, she has tons of potential as long as a strong wind doesn't blow her out to sea!

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-30-04, 06:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karennz Click to send private message to Karennz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
This conversation makes me smile.

I remember YEARS ago when people debated over who would have the longer, more successful career: Elton John or John Denver. The hands-down concensus was that Elton John would burn out in a few years while John Denver's popularity would last nearly forever.

But look what happened. Even before his death, John Denver's popularity was waning. Seems as though most of his exposure came through his involvement in issues related to the environment.

My point being, who knows for sure who will be around in the years to come? As someone else said, the public is fickle.

It also depends on which of these performers is able to continually re-invent himself/herself. You won't stick around for long if you can't figure out how to give the public what it wants.

dirtysouth 21 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-04, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dirtysouth Click to send private message to dirtysouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
I dont see the similiarities between Macy Gray and Fantasia unlike everyone else. Macy Gray sounds like her voice is hoarse and she sings folk type songs. Fantasia actually has a wider vocal range and does not have to sound raspy ie "Summertime". She reminds me more of Mary J. Blige. Someone who has been around forever and has shown the ability to express trials and tribulations in her songs. Thinking Grammy awards(I think) performance of "No more Drama". And her voice has a raspiness to it as well.

I think Fantasia has the versatility to perform a wide range of songs. You dont have that in any of the other contestants. They all can wale, but they can be catagorized specifically. I can see Fantasia doing Hip-hop/R&B, Gospel, Pop, and I can picture her on a Shrek 3 soundtrack for all of you who think she has a cartoon voice. I can see her bringing a Grammy audience full of stars to tears. Maybe it is just me.

I think they all have the upper hand on your normal artists. We have gotten to know them personally and have divested interest in there successes. Is there any other artists out there you can say that about?

-Handcrafted by RollDdice
-Leaders are like Eagles..they don't flock..you find them one at a time-

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-31-04, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "I don't get the Macy Gray comparison either"
She sounds more like Janice Joplin than Macy Gray to me.
as ever though,- jmo.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-01-04, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Bar none, the most successful AI contestant is Clay and this is simply because he is out there working his ##### off day and night and he deserves the success he's seen. Unlike others in this thread, i don't see him fizzling anytime soon. I think Clive Davis and Simon are correct in that Clay is at the head of an emerging return of the solo male crooner genre right there with Michael Buble, Josh Grobin, etc.

Unlike the others, he made the CD he wanted to make and actually had the cajones to stand up to the powers that be and say 'No, i want to make this CD.' and teh sales and success prove he knows what the hell he's doing.

He's had back-to-back record breaking cd-single sales.

He's recording songs for an upcoming Disney DVD (i believe its Disney).

He's recording a Christmas album.

He's had a successful tour with Kelley, and is now out on his own solo tour.

I believe he's already working on the followup to 'Measure of a Man'.

Following Clay, i hope Kelley Clarkson makes a true 'Kelley' CD on her followup. She's got the pipes and the talent. I have high hopes for Fantasia too since her versatility and talent is enormous. I just hope she doesn't fall into the R&B one-size-fits-all pool of obscurity. She has more to offer than that.

geekboy

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-04, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
It wasn't that I thought Clay would be over quickly.

What I was trying to say, was that people are fickle, funny really, about who they like one minute, and how they change their minds about that person over night.

I adore Clay, and I want him to have a nice long career, and after reading your post, I think he might. You gave perfect examples of his success. I wish him all the luck in the world!

By the way, very good post!

rnabring 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

06-02-04, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rnabring Click to send private message to rnabring Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: I would like to pose a question to everyone..."
Order of success (of a randomly selected few):

Top 3
1) Fantasia
2) LaToya
3) Kelly

Mediocre
4) Josh (unfortunately...unless he's the one with B.O. that was mentioned on Ryan Seacrest's show yesterday)
5) Clay
6) Ruben

Bad careers...bad.
7) Kim L.
8) Kim C.
9) Who cares...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •