The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sirviver 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-23-01, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sirviver Click to send private message to sirviver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
In Survivor 1 Gervise is portrayed as a "lazy, slacker, NON-hard working, black ( or african american) man." In Survivor 2 Nick is portrayed as a ""lazy, slacker, NON-hard working, black (african american) man." My question is 1: are they really like this or 2: is MB deliberately showing us a raciest and stereotypical white man's image of a black (african american)man. In fact I don’t believe that Nick is going to win because of the way MB has been portraying him. MB wants someone WHO HE THINKS is interesting and eye catching to win, NOT someone who he’s been EDITING and showing to look like a “lazy, slacker, NON-hard working, black (african american) man." If MB is really doing the last one, then he's more of a bastered then I ever imagined.
In S1 Gervise said he deliberately stayed in the background but he also admitted that he did some work. Even Gretchen and Jenna said that Gervise did work. But because of MB’s editing, we never saw him lift a finger. MB portrayed Gervise as a lazy black man. In S2 Nick is being portrayed in the exact same way…a lazy black man. If I was Gervise or Nick I would be outraged at how MB is portraying the black men.
(forgive me for not being politically correct but I honestly don’t know the politically correct terms this week)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why Nick won't win...the same r... Jewels 03-25-01 1
   RE: Why Nick won't win...the same r... Outfrontgirl 03-25-01 2
       RE: Why Nick won't win...the same r... Krautboy 03-25-01 3
 RE: Why Nick won't win...the same r... Play2Survive 03-25-01 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jewels 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-25-01, 01:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jewels Click to send private message to Jewels Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
If you read th Survivor 2 field guide MB says that one day the slacker Will be the winner. I think that people liked Gervase last season and that maybe MB wanted to recreate hin in Nick. I think that we still have something left to see g=from Nick before he is voted off.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-01, 01:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
I also think this nasty stereotype is being deliberately perpetuated and it does offend me. Once with the lazy African-American was bad enough, but the "lazy" was balanced with charm and humor, and there were some interviews with Gervase where he seemed to take delight in getting away with not making as much physical contribution but by being an entertainer. There is an appeal to that character.

In Nick's case, I think the editing's been very unfair in that we're given little or no insight into Nick. We've had no interviews with him about the tasks he does or doesn't do; we saw him take an early dive in the perch IC, (which was actually terrific strategy even if he hadn't been sick, as he knew the strong were the targets that week).

We know from Nick's bio that he must be ambitious and energetic.
MB used Jeff to set up the "lazy Nick" stereotype and Jeff has stated in his recent interview he was really sorry that was used and that Nick and all the Kuchas worked hard every day. Nick's making furniture for Kucha and a kitchen was neat, even if Jeff chose to mock it, and functional. Everyone wanted to live at Kucha camp when the merge came.

Yet as soon as a spoiler comes out about someone not doing their part, most people think it's Nick as he is the ONLY person who's been called lazy this season. Not only is Nick being stuck with the lazy stereotype, but the "heart of darkness" indecipherable black man image. Oh, and he gets shown making one joke and it's about black sexuality. Give me a break.

I really hope Survivor 3 elects to have some ethnic diversity and to better reflect the make-up of the real world.

I'm still hoping MB's keeping Nick vague is in service of some kind of surprise in the plot, but that won't excuse the repeated stereotyping, IMHO.

Sorry to rant, but it bugs me. I'm glad it came up on a thread.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-25-01, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
In the Survivor 2 Field Guide, under Nick's pschological profile, he is described as both "HARDWORKING" and a "TEAM PLAYER". Only the editing has shown him being described as lazy by his tribe mates. That was several episodes ago. He was also descibed as spending too much time building furniture for the camp. Is that "lazy"?

I think the "Nick is lazy" episode was just MB trying to mislead us during that episode so that he could throw in his surprise twist at TC. MB just used the available footage and comments to achieve the dramatic effect he was after.

Play2Survive 270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-25-01, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Play2Survive Click to send private message to Play2Survive Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why Nick won't win...the same reason Gervise didn't win...."
I have to say a couple things here.

First, this discussion has nothing to do with Spoliers, so it really belongs on another conference board.

Secondly, it's a waste of time to compare Nick (introverted, scholarly) with Gervase (fun-loving, class clown). They're just so different.

Let's focus on legitimate spoilers please. Thanks.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •