The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How is this Show Still Going?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Bachelor / The Bachelorette Forum (Protected)
Original message

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

02-03-05, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How is this Show Still Going?"
This really isn't a basher post because I am a huge fan of the show and watch every episode of every season. But with the "already-being-discussed-in-other-posts" track record of the relationships this show turns out, it amazes me that viewers (like me) still tune in.

Imagine with me if you will, if the success that is Survivor, ended with a Finale showing the final 2 sitting before a jury who simply could not decide the fate. Finally they agree that no one should get the money, and the season ends with no winner.

Or how about if the Final Apprentice episode showed Donald Trump offering the job to one lucky contestant, only to have the winner say "gee, thanks, but I think I'd rather go apply for another job with another employee."

Then there is The Amazing Race. What if the final teams couldn't find the finish line and decided to just give up and not finish the race?

Any of the scenarios would create ratings disasters for both the shows and the networks. So how is ABC still succesfully turning out seasons of The Bachelor/ette, and suckering viewers (like me) into committing one hour a week to their show, even though we anticipate it is all for naught? Hmmmm.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How is this Show Still Going? Loree 02-03-05 1
   RE: How is this Show Still Going? consise10 02-04-05 2
 RE: How is this Show Still Going? Poncho 02-04-05 3
 RE: How is this Show Still Going? RangeRover 02-04-05 4
   RE: How is this Show Still Going? consise10 02-05-05 5
       RE: How is this Show Still Going? RyrieRae 02-07-05 6
   RE: How is this Show Still Going? munson 02-07-05 7
       RE: How is this Show Still Going? RangeRover 02-07-05 8
           RE: How is this Show Still Going? munson 02-08-05 9
           RE: How is this Show Still Going? consise10 02-08-05 13
   I disagree realitybites 02-08-05 10
       RE: The differences RangeRover 02-08-05 11
           RE: The differences Silverado 02-08-05 12
               RE: The differences consise10 02-08-05 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-03-05, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
I think we all hope for that happy ending. And sometimes it does happen. Not that often on this show. But at least for a few weeks or months they try to make it work. And we continue to think "maybe next time?"

consise10 399 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-04-05, 04:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
Its also the larger than life scenarios Ryrie Rae and Loree,that hook into our imaginations for the ultimate romantic "date", where it can get real serious between two individuals who are supposedly falling in love.It`s also the fact that the Batchelor or Batchelorette is able to `Cheat` with many others and it becomes acceptable in their quest to find the perfect one.
That`s my opinion anyway.What do you reckon?

Poncho 787 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-04-05, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Poncho Click to send private message to Poncho Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
I guess we all secretly never want to give up on the "Happily ever after" ending. Darn people, why can't they just stay together and be happy?

Poncho

RangeRover 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-04-05, 06:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RangeRover Click to send private message to RangeRover Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-04-05 AT 07:27 PM (EST)

This show is one of the most despicable I think next to the Swan.

The entire premise began on a male fantasy by having women compete over him using whatever feminine wiles they could - including sex, looks, whatever in order to snag a man. The same man has the right to have sex, manipulate or exploit the women with absolutely no repurcussions or responsibility.

There is nothing inherently romantic or fantasy-like about the premise, unless you consider not having to work for several weeks, being jetted (on private planes) to exotic locales, staying at 5 star hotels, recieving first class treatments, specialized dates.. that is fantasy. What isn't is the fact that this "courtship" is done on TV and all while in isolation from the real world/friends/family and responsibility, factors that tax and test and MAKE a relationship.

In the weeks of isolation you are also cut off from news/television/music/books any outside stimulation other than when you are with your fellow contestants/rivals or on group dates but again kept away from the general public at every opportunity. You are plied with alcohol and encouraged to literally FIGHT your way into a relationship with someone whom you met by literally entering a lottery or raffle and may or may not have anything in common with once your return in the real world is complete.

When I see and hear women debating and discussing how this is such a milestone in their lives I think you must be projecting the idea that there is somewhere a handsome prince willing to rescue you and do anything for you to make your life complete. A very similiar and equally diabolical message that the Swan does only instead of giving you a man they give you all the requesite surgery to SNARE one.

How sad we have come to allow ourselves to believe that any of these relationships are based on anything more than a foundation of sand. No wonder 99% of them end within a few months of being together. Real relationships take work and do not have the luxury or the excitment that celebrity and television offer. Its seductive, its artificial and its plain wrong.

I know many of you love this show on a fantasy level and that is fine but it is fantasy.. being married for many years, I know that it was by chance we met but it was by work we stay together. But we never met in anything but the glare of real life not the glare of soft TV lighting.

02-05-05, 04:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail consise10 Click to send private message to consise10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
A very well written and thought through post Rangerover.I thank you for that.

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

02-07-05, 06:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
Here here!

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-07-05, 07:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
The entire premise began on a male fantasy by having women compete over him using whatever feminine wiles they could - including sex, looks, whatever in order to snag a man. The same man has the right to have sex, manipulate or exploit the women with absolutely no repurcussions or responsibility.

Hmmm. I don't know. This sounds an awful lot like reality to me.

I'm being facetious, of course, but only somewhat. I've witnessed several women fall all over themselves in just the ways you describe in hopes of snagging *the* guy. You know, the one with a full head of hair, straight teeth (so the kids will be gorgeous) and a bright - and pro$perou$ - future.

02-07-05, 09:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RangeRover Click to send private message to RangeRover Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-07-05 AT 09:02 PM (EST)

Yes and the misfortune of this is the fact that this show takes that concept and exploits it for all its worth. Its simply misogynistic as it appeals to that "type" of woman who is willing to literally whore and humiliate herself in order to find a "man".

I rarely have seen a contestant who has struck me as self confident, articulate, intelligent and realistic. They do not apply or are simply not chosen for the show. Many of the women are very young and the ones over 30, GOD FORBID are on some type of biological clock countdown.

Mike Darnell and Mike Fleiss were Fox's golden twins of reality programming when they came up with the most disgusting display of this concept when they devised "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" That of course if the "millionaire" is one on paper and has a history of domestic abuse and a restraining order. Gosh, if Victoria ever leaves Jonathan maybe they could bring back this show.

We have had Joe Millionaire, For Love or Money and Average Joe to further denigrate and exploit women and those women who are so superficial and shallow that it allows you to have the confirmation that for women its looks and money that attract the babes.

Yet many intelligent and brilliant women who in fact are great "catches" for men go literally ignored. Maureen Dowd recently wrote a column discussing how men of success seem attracted to women of less success in finding a companion. Women who were their peers are not ones they find marriageable. But if she had Pamela Anderson's breasts and Paris Hilton's lacivious appetite well I bet they have no problem.

When you play with stereotypes you get them.

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-08-05, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
Well put. We do not disagree.

I almost qualified my original message with "a certain type of woman" but feared a backlash. Even now, I don't like that word choice. Your first two paragraphs are dead on, IMO.

02-08-05, 10:26 PM (EST)
13. "RE: How is this Show Still Going?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-08-05 AT 10:34 PM (EST)

Hi Rangerover.In reference to your comment about a womans biological clock..I want to know what you thought of Mary Delorado`s performance in The batchelor with Bob Guiney?

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-08-05, 06:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "I disagree"
I actually agree with 98% of what you said, but your first statement:

>This show is one of the most despicable I think next to the
>Swan.

I don't agree with. I am more disgusted by the makeover shows (all of them, not just "The Swan") and the talent shows, because they play with the emotions more cruelly and more people might believe in them.

No horses were harmed in the creation of this post.

02-08-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
11. "RE: The differences"
I think Extreme Makeover and The Swan like the Bachelor are all shows about how the external will make you better. Look better, find a better mate, be hot, be sexy and you are valuable in society. It reinforces the notion that its all based on the superficial and extrinsic vs the intrinsic.

They play primarily to women and are about women and play to the basest and most common stereotypes that women have. They are all about low self esteem and if you can look good, snare a man then see all is right.

Neither deal with the long term social and intellectual and pyschological aspects of how to function in life or in a relationship.

We are often appalled in this country about arranged marriages as the two people are not introduced until about 2 weeks prior to the union. A union arranged by families with what we think has little to do with the choices best for the individual. Yet here were are applauding a woman/man going on a reality show, having a raffle of 25 people and in three weeks dragging this viritual stranger/hostage to your family and pledging to marry them.

The Swan and Extreme Makeover give you a bunch of surgery and send you home believing that its not how you are its how you look and life is perfect. Nice message.

As for talent shows like American Idol. They are nowhere near the level of exploitation and insult. You have to have a real talent to succeed.

They may make you over to an extent as marketing but its no different than anyone who ELECTS or CHOOSES a Hollywood career. And yes it includes massive surgery and a sacrifice of life for the art but its a CHOICE made by as many men or women BUT fundamentally talent still rules when it comes right down to it.

Silverado 89 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

02-08-05, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silverado Click to send private message to Silverado Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The differences"
the difficulty I have wacthing this show-is that the people never last as couples. There has been one example the entire time!

02-08-05, 10:31 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The differences"
I know what you mean,but we shouldn`t expect silver linings and happy ever after, all the time Silverado. That`s totally unrealistic, know what I mean?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •