The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-26-04, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-04 AT 03:41 PM (EST)

As the third season lumbers to its conclusion, I wanted to start a thresd in which we could discuss our overall opinions/feelings/raves/rants about this year's show.

AI remains a bloated, hideously-edited, insipid ad-riddled behemoth of a show but here we all are. Every year I say "last year I watch" and then I'm back.

I can't say I wasn't surprised a number of times this year - that was a good thing. I really hated losing some of the surprise bootees, though -- for whatever reason, the loss of Jennifer, in particular, took a lot of the show's zest away from me. Still, Frenchie's boot last year was worse to me because I really felt she was the best, by a long shot, and she never really participated (hear she's great in "Rent").

There are always candidates who I don't "get" who keep moving on but that's pop. The nasty surprise this year was the vitrolic nature with which people dealt with this - death threats?

My short-wish-list would be:
1. MUCH LESS AUDITION CLIPPAGE and reclippage and re-recrappage.
2. Dump Paula now. Randy can stay but on a probationary basis. I would be happy with Clive Davis as a judge; I thought his comments were atypically specific and knowledgeable for a guest judge.
3. Somehow get to a one-vote-per-household method. Or bring back Ted Mack's Applause-O-Meter.

Finally, I do not have a definite feeling about who's going to win tonight (okay, I think Diana will win, although I personally prefer Fantasia, but I don't KNOW). So my final comment is a mild kudo in that there is a shred of suspense left for the finale.

Inviting all and sundry to toss in two cents or more. Inviting Shakes or some worthy apprentice of his to flame the heck out of anyone who says anything about this being fixed, or racist, or a communist plot, etc. etc. Explore a little new ground for me.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 1
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Breezy 05-26-04 2
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... nailbone 05-26-04 27
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Brownroach 05-26-04 31
           Boner!!! Hi BR Breezy 05-27-04 46
               Smooches... Brownroach 05-27-04 49
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... EnglProf 05-26-04 3
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... frisky 05-26-04 4
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 5
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 6
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 7
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 8
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... ginger 05-26-04 9
                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 11
                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 15
                       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Former CBSer 05-27-04 43
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 10
                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 13
   Go Geg6! dajaki 05-26-04 16
       RE: Go Geg6! Pepito 05-26-04 25
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... badger 05-26-04 12
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... TeamJoisey 05-26-04 14
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 19
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... MTW1961 05-26-04 20
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 24
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... MTW1961 05-26-04 17
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geg6 05-26-04 21
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 22
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... dajaki 05-26-04 18
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... shedevil 05-26-04 23
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... welshdude22 05-26-04 26
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 28
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... EnglProf 05-26-04 29
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... shedevil 05-26-04 34
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... rjrabbit 05-27-04 55
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... IslandFever 05-28-04 82
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... hunniebunns 05-26-04 30
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-26-04 32
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... SheeDreems 05-27-04 52
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Thistlethorn 05-27-04 56
 about those audition replays pheeann 05-26-04 33
   RE: the season that was calamityc 05-27-04 36
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... callalilly3000 05-26-04 35
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Icouldnotcareless 05-27-04 37
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Icouldnotcareless 05-27-04 38
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 40
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... SheeDreems 05-27-04 54
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 59
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... seahorse 05-27-04 63
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... So_Opinionated 05-27-04 39
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 41
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... StarryLuna 05-27-04 42
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... seahorse 05-27-04 44
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... HobbsofMI 05-27-04 45
 Judges SnowBunny 05-27-04 47
   RE: Judges seahorse 05-27-04 48
       RE: Judges calamityc 05-27-04 50
           RE: Judges seahorse 05-27-04 51
 Results Shows Devious Weasel 05-27-04 53
   RE: Results Shows ginger 05-27-04 57
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... screech 05-27-04 58
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... JOSHIDOL 05-27-04 60
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... AddisonBunch 05-27-04 79
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Brownroach 05-27-04 61
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... ginger 05-27-04 62
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Brownroach 05-27-04 66
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... StarryLuna 05-27-04 68
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... tig_ger 05-27-04 69
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... ginger 05-27-04 70
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... tig_ger 05-27-04 71
                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Brownroach 05-27-04 72
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Devious Weasel 06-02-04 99
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Shereebie 05-27-04 73
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 76
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... thisgirl8 05-28-04 85
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-28-04 88
                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... udg 05-30-04 91
                       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-30-04 93
                           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... udg 05-30-04 94
                               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-30-04 95
                               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... AMAI 05-30-04 96
                                   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... udg 05-30-04 97
                                       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... AMAI 05-31-04 98
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geekboy 05-27-04 64
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... JOSHIDOL 05-27-04 65
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 77
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... geekboy 05-27-04 80
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-28-04 83
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... JOSHIDOL 05-27-04 67
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... shanana banana 05-27-04 74
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-27-04 78
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... rnabring 05-28-04 87
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... shanana banana 05-27-04 75
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... GinaVendetti 07-26-04 110
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Captain_Savem 05-28-04 81
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-28-04 84
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... ginger 05-28-04 86
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 05-28-04 89
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... lyrker 05-29-04 90
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... Tikirini308 05-30-04 92
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... seahorse 06-04-04 102
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... mistofleas 06-02-04 100
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... unitabackup 06-04-04 101
   RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... leogirl_21 06-05-04 103
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... udg 06-06-04 104
       Blah! callalilly3000 06-06-04 105
       RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... seahorse 06-07-04 106
           RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... callalilly3000 06-07-04 107
               RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... okaychatt 06-10-04 108
 RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Se... kevinwills 07-15-04 109

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Shereebie 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-26-04, 03:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shereebie Click to send private message to Shereebie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Good Lord - I could simply say "What Ginger Said" and that would cover my opinions nicely. *applause* for Ginger!

I agree, most definitely, with LESS RECAP SHOWS. For the love of God, we don't need to see every fricking audition ever. It gets old, tiring, and is mere filler for ratings, and we know it. Yes, let's can Paula, immediately, and get someone up there with a real opinion, who can say more than "Ditto!" The voting really, really needs to be changed - but we all already know that.

I don't mind the judges, for the most part - even when they're biased - because they are doing the job they were hired to do. They are supposed to be biased. They are supposed to make comments that will piss the viewing public off. The complaint about them that I DO have is their inconsistency. Please, next season, let's not tell a 16 year old girl that she's too young for the competition, then when she tries to change her image, tell her she's too old. Make up your minds, already. The judges have a right to change their minds, of course, but giving mixed signals and incoherent advice to the contestants isn't helping anyone. Diana was criticized for one of her songs last night - because she hadn't 'done' any of the things she was singing about. Who gives a hot hell? She's SINGING, not telling everyone her life story. I think the judges tend to focus on things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, especially late in the season, and that's the main thing that irritates me about all 3 of them. (Aside from the fact that Paula's just annoying and that's all there is to it.)

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 03:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
1. Less Recap shows.
2. Replace Paula with Debbie Gibson.
3. Change the voting system.

That's a start.

This season was a waste of TV airwaves.

Can we bring back the gong from the Gong Show too?

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Debbie Gibson? *snort*

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

I *LOVE* the Gong Show!!!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 06:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
She's "Deborah Gibson" now. That's a judg-ish name, don't you think?

"White people with bags are almost certainly involved in the filming of some reality show project." -- the ChillOne (Skiver)

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "Boner!!! Hi BR"
Wasn't Debbie a judge on the AI Juniors? She already has some juding experience.

*whack* for Boner and a *smooch* for BR.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

05-27-04, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "Smooches..."
...for Breezy!

(I don't watch AI, but since the finale is such a big event, I've been enjoying reading everyone's thoughts in the forums this week.)

"White people with bags are almost certainly involved in the filming of some reality show project." -- the ChillOne (Skiver)

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-26-04, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I still remember my tears when they announced that Kelly won. Though Tamyra _had_ been my favorite, by the end of the show Kelly really got me and I hated Justin's insipidness. This was a special AI moment for me.

The feeling of simultaneous joy w/ the winner is what I'm missing this season.

I remember when they picked the final 12 I thought (contrary to what lots of folks seemed to think) that this was going to be a great season. But things promptly went downhill for me and it's been a lose-lose situation ever since.

Since the second half of season one I've been a rapid AI fan. I thought (cheesy though it sounds) that AI was JUST what our country (sorry Canadians ) needed after Sept. 11. It was great to have reality tv working to bring happiness and joy to the contestants and their fans. AI was such a phenomenon then that it was innovative and inspiring.

I think that the show's premise is still good, and I loved the Clay/Kimberly/Reuben duel last season, but this season has really highlighted its potential flaws: not new enough, contestants aren't really good enough (IMO _only_), producers and networks are too greedy and needlessly advertise and stretch shows out, boring us all in the pursuit of the almighty $$.

I'm NOT swearing the next season of the show off, but I'd definitely like to see a hiatus and some revamping. Then maybe we can capture the AI of old-- with all its newness, joy, and true inspiration.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Two things that bugged me:

1. The contestants have grown complacent. LaToya said it herself: "we're all winners." They think they're good enough to get on the show, they'll get further in the industry than by not being on the show. Win or lose. And that seems to be good enough for most of them.

2. The contestants need to learn to respect the audience. I find this bursting out on the stage to sing and yelling "C'mon y'all STAND UP!" to be very disrespectful of your audience. You communicate with the audience through your music. If you've succeeded at that, and the audience is feeling you, then they'll stand up for ya. You have to work for it.

Oh, and get rid of Paula.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Wow, so many intelligent things said already. What do I have to say that is unique? Probably nothing...but here I go.

1) I'm with Ginger. Paula has got to go. She's a total idiot, has nothing constructive to say, and put Leah LaBelle in the final 12 as revenge for something Simon said. Do I need to say anything more?

2) Again, props to Ginger. Randy can stay, but he must have rules. He must refer to contestants by a proper gender term. The first time he calls a female a "dude," he should be gone, immediately.

3) Do something about the voting. I don't much care what it is, as long as power voters will be foiled.

4) The first series of audition shows (to get to the 32) should be all that we are subjected to. Also, no more "good, bad, and ugly" specials. Also, no more recap shows. Also, no "Final 5 Special." A "Final 3 Special" might be acceptable but that is all.

5) Throw out the cretins in the studio audience who jeer what the judges have to say. The TV audience cannot hear what the judge says, the judge is often unable to finish his thought (it's never Paula, so there's no point in putting a "her" in there), and the contestant does not get the benefit of what might be helpful advice.

6) DO NOT EVER subject me, the TV audience, or the poor contestants to any more of those horrible "music video" product placements. If you want the contestants to shill for the commercial sponsors, let them wear patches, hats, whatever for the product. It would be less distracting and less embarrassing.

05-26-04, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shereebie Click to send private message to Shereebie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Ooh, yes! GO Geg GO! I totally agree with your #s 5 and 6.

And Paula, DO SHUT UP when Simon's talking, whether you like what he says or not. He doesn't talk over you and The Dawg over there.

05-26-04, 04:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Well, we could just lump her in with the cretins in the audience and toss her useless A.S.S. out, too. Two birds with one stone!

05-26-04, 04:24 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Sounds good to me! We could replace her with Quentin Tarantino. I thought he did pretty good the week he was a guest judge. Plus, Simon would never try to kiss him, thank God.

05-26-04, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
How about Simon hosts, and Quentin, Clive and Andre 3000 judge.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

05-26-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
RIGHT ON!! Best.idea.ever.

Ginger, you are fricking brilliant.

05-26-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Andre 3000...

Yummy!

Former CBSer 81 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-27-04, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Former%20CBSer Click to send private message to Former%20CBSer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
You have to be kidding about Quenton. What an #####!!!

05-26-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-04 AT 04:32 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-26-04 AT 04:32 PM (EST)

ROFLMAO!

Seriously though, I though Tarantino and Clive Davis were both good guest judges.

Which brings me to...no more guest judges. The few good ones (I can only count three: Neil Sadaka (last year), Quentin Tarantino, and Clive Davis) do not make up for the stupidity of the rest. Not a good enough ratio of good to bad to keep this inane practice. I realize that the producers do this with some artists who would not let their music be used otherwise (can we all say, "Elton John?" I thought we could), who are just the biggest DAWs in the world, and should not be encouraged with any more face time on television than necessary. Go ahead and film them hanging out with the contestants and giving them the benefit of their "wisdom," but do not put them in a judge's seat.

05-26-04, 04:32 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I thought Elton sucked as a judge, but I was okay with his involvement....until he opened his piehole and started telling everyone that the show was racist. I quit caring (and paying any attention to him whatsoever) at that point.

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-26-04, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Go Geg6!"
With Shereebie, I'm seconding #5 and #6.

As for #5, one may not like what Simon says most of the time, but he knows the music business and is usually right. A person I know who was in PR for years working with the likes of Bono says that if these contestants can't take what Simon dishes out, they can't take the music business at all. They and the audience should shut up, listen and learn.

As for #6, the ads are so nauseatingly stupid that I determine to never purchase a product that has been featured in such a way. I'm sure that each AI contestant is muttering under his/her breath a la Nancy Kerrigan, "This is the cheesiest thing I've ever done."

Oh, and get rid of Paula. Bring in Courtney Love instead!

Pepito 587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-26-04, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pepito Click to send private message to Pepito Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Go Geg6!"

>Oh, and get rid of Paula.
> Bring in Courtney Love
>instead!

I would LOVE to see Courtney Love as a judge! If they can't get her full time, as least get her a guest judge.

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
for me, this show was off to a bad start with the endless auditions. now granted, i do get a sick satisfaction from watching people who can sing worse than me. but they really seemed to drag it out endlessly this year. and their emphasis on the "bad" really made me care less about the "good." they gave me no one to cheer for (like clay, for example, last year).

but things really turned ugly during the first hollywood auditions. at that point, the judges selected a whole bunch of folks that were mediocre (to say the least) to continue to the final 30-whatever. several talented individuals were let go (i'm thinking in particular of "scooter girl" and the guy-with-the-side-burns) in exchange for people who had storylines producers thought they could exploit (i'm thinking here of "the brothers," matt, and even john stevens, bless his heart).

in that respect, i do fault the judges, and i think the "strange" votes this season (losing jennifer, losing latoya, keeping john, keeping jasmine) have been a rebellion by viewers against paula, randy, and simon. maybe it is time to shake things up with those three.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-26-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"

These are all great things, and I'm with you.

Add this: No more hiding the real talent in the early rounds. All we got were joke auditions, some middle of the road folks, and a collection of wannabes that the producers KNEW were not already selected for the final 32. So why spend so much "Hollywood" time on Michael McKeown, or Nicole Tieri, for instance?

Did anyone see LaToya before the final 32? Seems ScooterGirl got more exposure. I think it hurt LaToya in the long run because fans hadn't attached themselves to her early in the show.

(For that matter, did anyone really see Fantasia before the final 32?)

And why didn't Cassie LeBeau win the whole thing? Her "Stormy Weather" is still my favorite audition. She only needed 14 notes before they cut her off and moved her to Hollywood. Unfortunately, it seems she could only remember the first 12 words of any song.

P.S. "Ditto" on the Paula thing.

05-26-04, 04:39 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Totally agree, TJ - where the hell was LaToya? By the time she got to the Final 12, I had no idea where she came from, and I'm with you: I think it ruined her, pretty much, for the audience. She was definitely the least 'known' contestant in the Final 12.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-26-04, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I still don't understand why army girl Martha didn't at least make it to Hollywood.

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

Have you given your TiVo a nice, firm handshake today?

05-26-04, 04:53 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Me, too! I thought she was terrific!

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-26-04, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Everyone has such good comments, but I have a couple I haven't seen yet.

First, I enjoyed American Idol probably 60% MORE because of my TiVo, so I would recommend to every viewer to get a TiVo or other DVR! Ability to instantly skip through incessant commercials and product placement videos? Priceless!

Second, I hate the way they extremely truncate the songs to fit in the time slots. Devote more time to the singing and butcher the songs less please, even if you have to extend the early final 12 episodes to 90 minutes.

Judges, voting scandals, and excess clippage - my feelings aren't very strong and you all have covered them well.

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

Have you given your TiVo a nice, firm handshake today?

05-26-04, 04:41 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Oooooohhhh!

Good one, MTW! Love the whole idea of actually having them sing the actual song, not a 30 second clip or whatever. Sometimes, the contestant has so "made the song his/her own" that they're done singing the little blurb of it that is allowed before I have any idea what song they are actually singing.

05-26-04, 04:45 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
*applause* for MTW - absolutely. Let them sing the entire song. We can learn a lot more about the finalists' talent by listening to them sing one entire song than snippets of two or three.

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
And about the audition shows: Obviously the producers want to show some of the really bad for entertainment purposes. However, many of the truly awful (Scat Girl, anyone?) are radio station decoys, sent in to showcase amazingly hideous renditions for the express purpose of being on TV. It should be clear to producers/audition staff who these people are and get them out immediately. None of us are stupid enough to believe that some of these people take themselves and the AI audition process seriously. They just take up space and force me to click the channel changer on my remote.

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-26-04, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Ginger you have said just about everything that I wanted to say, especially about Jennifer.My main suggestion is:
make the results show (with the exception of the last one) 30 minutes long, period. If they cut out the crap, that would give them time to get the results done and have a guest singer, an hour is just too long.

welshdude22 3 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail welshdude22 Click to send private message to welshdude22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Hey Guys!

I am new on here, from Wales in the UK, and I thought I would give my views on the series, as the final isnt shown here until Friday.

First of all I would like to address the race issues that have been predominant throughout the series.

American Idol and its voters are not racist, it is the most politically correct show ever!

I will address this now:

In AI1, the final comprised of a white mail and a white female- politically correct and not sexist.

In AI2, the final comprised of a black man and a white man- policitcally correct and non racist

In AI3 the final comprises of a black girl and a white girl- once again politically correct and non racist.

Over here we have Pop Idol, we have had two series so far, the first one being the one that made Idol popular around the world and caused countries such as America, Canada and Australia buy the programme to be able to broadcast it. Pop Idol is also very politically correct.

In series 1, the final was between 2 guys, 1 being straight and one being gay, and the gay guy won- politically correct and non homophobic.

In series 2, the final was between a guy and a girl with the girl being seriously overweight- she won- politically correct and non biased towards slim people.

The people who say American Idol is racist-Elton John included- should really go find something better to do.

Anyway my thoughts on the final 2 of AI3:

Diana clearly has the best voice. I think Fantasia is every talented, but I dont think she can sing as well as Diana can. I think Fantasia overuses the "yeah yeah's" but you all knew that already. It also seems that she only has one vocal register- when she belts out notes, it doesnt sound like she is belting them out, it seems sometimes that she is screeching them. Diana on the other hand switches from her lower register (which i admit needs some work on) and her higher one, and with this she belts out notes suberbly.

The best singer in the competition was blatantly Latoya- she was superb and had she been in the final with Diana, I would be very stuck on who to vote for!

I have read reviews and its obvious the judges are favouring Fantasia. Ive also read stuff about people saying Diana hasnt been through the experience that Fantasia has, so she couldnt sing that song as good. Oh please!!! Give me a break haha! Just coz Fantasia has a kid, she is more experienced in her life and we are to praise her for it? I dont think so.

So I guess you are pretty close to watching the results show guys!!! I hope Diana wins, but then again, these shows have a knack for the best singers losing.

In our Pop Idol second series this year, the best singer (a guy called Chris Hide) came fourth, just like the best singer of the final twelve came this year on AI3 (Latoya). But its all down to popularity I suppose.

So as the show draws near, good luck Diana and Fantasia, and may the best singer win!

05-26-04, 05:48 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Hi Welshdude!

Yep, the results show will be airing here in a little more than three hours, I believe.

Read a rumor elsewhere that according to Ryan Seacrest, there were over 50 million votes cast and there's a 1% difference in votes between the two girls.

Should be a great Finale!

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-26-04, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I just read on this board somewhere that Nigel Whosits-- one of the producers said today that the vote wasn't as close as last year. Seem to be contradicting rumors floating about. I'd be surprised if the vote wasn't close. I guess we'll find out soon enough-- THAT IS UNLESS Ryan farts it up again this year!

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
It was said on Ryan's show today that the votes were seperated by 1 percent. So the rest of the rumors are just rumors.

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-27-04, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Welcome welshdude22! I Love the UK and we have your country to thank for our AI!

"In AI1, the final comprised of a white mail and a white female- politically correct and not sexist."

Actually Justin's father is African American so he's half black.
I think Diana's biological father is black too. But you're absolutely right. I don't believe there's any racism when it comes to AI. It's unfortunate that when something happens that we don't like, we search for an explanation and some people (not everyone) look to racism as a possible answer. Racism does exist in our world, unfortunately, but not with AI IMO.

We unfortunately don't get Pop Idol in the US. The only thing I've seen of the other Idol winners across the world is the ones who competed in the World Idol. (Except for the ones who made appearances on AI.) Idol has become a sensation in many countries around the world. It gives each of us a chance to celebrate the talent of our countrymen and women and share in their success.

Today I'm just feeling a great sense of pride in all of the talent of the AI contestants. While watching LaToya and George perform last night I couldn't help but think how lucky we are to have so much talent in this country. Was it a shame that Jennifer didn't make it further, yes. Did Camille, John Stevens and Jasmine get further than their talent warranted, IMO yes. Is Paula too nice, she used to be but she's gotten a lot better and gave a thumbs down to several performances this year. Do I want to see her go, personally no but, I understand why some do. Was this season frustrating, yes. Did we see real talent, absolutely!

My only wishes are:
1) that AI quit all the commercials disguised as performance clips or videos
2) enough of the extended boot night shows and endless repeats of bad auditions promising new footage.
3) Take more time and put in more effort on the top 12 CD. This is the first year I haven't bought the CD cause it sounded slapped together for the most part.

Yes AI brings in a lot of money but the patience of the American Idol fans is wearing thin. AI's blatant attempts to squeeze every last dollar they can out of us needs to stop.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-28-04, 03:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IslandFever Click to send private message to IslandFever Click to check IP address of the poster
82. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Welshdude, actually Justin from AI1 is black. Mariah Careyish black but still black.

hunniebunns 119 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-26-04, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hunniebunns Click to send private message to hunniebunns Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
*If they cut out the crap, that would give them time to get the results done and have a guest singer, an hour is just too long.*

You're absolutely right,but if we did that, we wouldn't get to hear Seacrap say "after the break" 47 times....and we all love that, right?

I have to say that Ginger & SheDevil, you sumed it up for me. I cannot stand all the cheesy video product endorsements, the endless commercials and especially the "This is your life" segments they run contiually now.

05-26-04, 06:21 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Yep, I read that too, Engl. So either the votes were really close, or they weren't close. I don't know which. *snort*

SheeDreems 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-27-04, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SheeDreems Click to send private message to SheeDreems Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I personally saw that interview with Nigel Lythgow and he said both things in one sentence. He said the vote was less then 1% apart but not as close as last year - which goes to show you how very close last year's contest must have been. So it is no rumor, Nigel said both things - Ryan was correct. He is the Executive Producer of the show and everyone's boss - he gets the information first. He should know if anyone does.

Thistlethorn 115 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Thistlethorn Click to send private message to Thistlethorn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
If the votes last night were really at 65 million then a 1% difference is 650,000. Last year I believe there were only around 20 million votes yielding a 1% difference of 200,000 votes. Therefore, last year's voting could have been closer in number of votes but higher in percentage difference meaning that they are both right. QED

pheeann 101 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pheeann Click to send private message to pheeann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "about those audition replays"
As long as there are sweeps, as long as there are Nielsen's, as long as they keep pulling in the numbers, you can count on seeing the auditions and whatever fluff filler (yes, the dood from down under can be considered "fluff filler") they can put in their time slots. This won't change.

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-27-04, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: the season that was"
pheeann: May I just say I appreciate your post. If some lowly AI production assistant ever reads these boards they will at least see that some of the viewers know they are being manipulated and why. And you are right, as long as the numbers are there, they will keep overstuffing the season like a big ole jelly roll.
Changes I would like to see?
1. Constructive criticism from the judges. Telling a contestant they need work on lower register, they went flat, etc..even comments about improving their image are fair game. Showing obvious favoritism or making them apologize for their age is not.
2. They are making enough money, spend the bucks to get contemporary songs the contestants can relate to.
3. Let the audience pick one wild card.
4. Offer to replace Paula with Whitney Houston (I'll bet she needs a job).

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-04, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
As a huge fan of last years season, I was very, very disappointed in this season.

The first thing that ticked me off was the comments the judges made in the first week of finals. "This is the best season so far" I totally disagree. Most of the contestents did not even come close to last season. The only three people that came close to the talent, are Laytoya, Fantasia, and Jennifer. Three people out of twelve, does not make this the best season ever.
Two of the three were voted out. Ridiculous!

Second, all of the racial issues. OMG, I didn't like the fact that Jennifer and Latoya were voted out, but, to blame it on racial issues, again Ridiculous! It seems to me that people have to blame it on something, and that seems to be the best thing to blame it on. If those two girls sucked, race would not even come into play. They had the same fan base, they are of similar sound, and talent, and their fans competed with each other, plain and simple.

The final two. These two young ladies are NOT the best of the twelve. I would have even picked Amy over Diana, and Latoya over Fantasia, and Jennifer over Fantasia.

I think everyone forgets that this is a reality show, and we all take this way to seriously. Whomever wins, I will be happy for them, but I won't purchase their CD's.

Icouldnotcareless 9 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 01:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Icouldnotcareless Click to send private message to Icouldnotcareless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
There was so much potential at the beginning...Then the contestants started to fall apart.

Ditch Paula...enuff of the cryptic comments.

The Diana should have never been in the final.

Jennifer went too early but she didnt belong in the final.

Amy went too early.

Jasmine over LaToya really put the whole "American Idol" in perspective. They need a new voting method. Maybe vote contestants off instead.

The best thing about Season 3 is not having to hear John Stevens sing "I Believe". Dodged a bullet on that one.

Icouldnotcareless 9 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 01:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Icouldnotcareless Click to send private message to Icouldnotcareless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
But what I hated most about Season 3 was waiting for the Final vote to see if the least talented contestant would win.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-27-04, 06:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"But what I hated most about Season 3 was waiting for the Final vote to see if the least talented contestant would win. "

I know. Once I figured out the contest was about power voting for the odds makers, I chose my bootees differently.

SheeDreems 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-27-04, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SheeDreems Click to send private message to SheeDreems Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 02:47 PM (EST)

I agree with one thing you said. Amy Adams was one of the best singers in this competition. Her voice was fabulous. Her problem was her Celion Dion/Whitney Houston song selections all the time which didn't allow the public to see her dimension. She tore it up and owned the night on Country night. She was just starting to let the public know what all she could do.

The entertainment media went beserk when she was voted off and JPL, John Stevens and Camile Velasco stayed. It was as bad as when Jennifer Hudson was voted off but people have short memories. I may be alone in this but Jennifer was not my favorite person. She had a horrible attitude and didn't start singing well until the last 3 weeks she was there (well, in my opinion 2 out of her last 3 performances). She had the benefits of working with Barry Manilow, Elton John and weeks more working with the AI Vocal coaches and extra stage experience. Amy was singing better then Jennifer when she was voted off without all those benefits. Just think how great Amy would have been with all the benefits Jennifer received had Amy been able to stay. IMO, Amy's pink hair didn't help her any. Too Cindy Lauperish, too 80ish and the public couldn't connect with it. I heard however that the other contestants loved her to pieces.

I think the teeny boppers really ruined AI3 this year. They kept singers on the show that should have been long gone and allowed really good singers to leave way before their time. There is no way in heck JPL should have ever been in the top 10. I do think Camile and John Stevens can sing (though they have limitations) and for that matter so can Matt. I have heard Matt on other shows since he left AI and that guy really does have a great voice. But JPL, give me a break. Did you see Simon and Paula last night when all 12 contestants were singing. JPL's eyes were as big as saucers, he looked like a big doofus - also, note, he did not sing a single note alone,like many of the others did. Simon and Paula couldn't keep a staight face and watch him. I heard an interview with Simon and he said he just couldn't watch him without laughing. So one of my rants is the fact that JPL is even in the top 12 to begin with much less the top 10.

I agree with one of the posters that said they let many great singers in the original 32 go to keep lesser talented singers for whatever reason. There was a girl that sang Summertime in her audition better than Fantasia - they sent her home. I swore for the longest time that they sent the wrong room home. Why in the world would they have kept the Roman Brothers. My gosh, they should be so embarrassed by that.

The judges were all over the place too, especially where the wild cards were concerned. The voting was simply nuts this year too. Someone explain to me why Katie Weber was not in this top 12 competition. She arguably had one of the better voices in the entire competition - also, where was Lisa Lueschner and Susy Vulaca. All 3 of these women should have been in the top 12 over Camile Velasco, John Peter Lewis, Leah LaBelle, Jasmine Trias (I liked Jasmine but the only song she really sang well was Inseperable),and Matt Rogers.

The teeny boppers almost ruined AI3 this year. They didn't give a hoot about talent just that "he's hot", "he's cool", "he's sexy", "I want to kiss him", "he's adorable". He can't sing a lick, but he's adorable and he does a good Elvis - that whole fiasco was totally ridiculous and hurt many talented singers and for heaven's sake some adults were involved in that too, not many thank goodness!!!!

I really liked La Toya at first but somewhere along the line she became cold and complacent and her songs were the same week after week. She became conceited just as Jennifer was. I watched her facial experssions whenever she was told she was in the bottom 3. However, La Toya showed much more class when she was ousted in her interviews then Jennifer did. Jennifer showed she didn't deserve to be the American Idol after she was ousted in her interviews. She complained about everything and was so ungracious. She was so ungracious in fact, that it caused Simon to make a statement the following week when John Stevens was ousted about how much class he had and that other contestants leaving should take a few lessons from John instead of showing no class (paraphashing). He was refering to Jennifer. She was mouthing off all over the place. The producers finally had to rein her in. I knew I had a good reason other then her singing for not liking her. She had talent and it was really beginning to show towards the end. I thought the week she was voted off she owned the night with her Barry Manilow song, Weekend In New England, I loved it and voted for her, but truth is Jennifer never really did have a large fan base. Only once did she get the most votes and that was the week she sang Circle Of Life - she was unbelieveable that night. However, she was way to inconsistant, she had been in the bottom 3 - at least 3 times. She was not a very likable person and after watching many of her interviews after she was ousted she showed why she was not liked. She did give a few interviews that were decent but not many. Sorry folks but you did say I could rant. I just got angry when I read that garbage about racism. Jennifer got voted off because people just didn't like her not because she was black. Fantasia didn't win on the black vote alone. It took millions of white voters to give her the title, I just get so tired of the racism BS. It's like Nigel Lythgow, the Executive Producer of AI said, it was ok when 7 white people were voted off first - noone cried racism then or whenever 3 white people were in the bottom 3 - noone cried racism. But the first black gets ousted or there are 3 blacks in the bottom 3 and you hear cries of racism. It is ridiculous. People like who they like.

AI needs to find a better way to control this teeny bopper voting. Especially, when they are voting for things other then talent. But first and foremost they need to find a better way to make sure the best talent gets to the top 12 and penalize the judges like Paula for playing games - like putting Leah LaBelle in the top 12 instead of Susy Vulaca just to spite Simon. How childish that was. When I sit here and type this knowing Katie Weber, Lisa Lueschner, and Susy Vulaca wasn't even in the top 12 with their dynamite voices and the likes of JPL, Camile Velasco, John Stevens, etc. were, I just have to shake my head and ask myself - do they really want the best they can find in this competition??? Or do they get rid of the ones they think will give the one they want to win the most trouble - I am not the only one that has thought this. They have agendas of their own. I love Fantasia - it took me awhile but I have come to love her. George was my favorite and still is but Fantasia can sing -sometimes she does screech however. Diana never screeches or shouts no matter what Simon tries to get the public to think. They have been saying since the Final 12 started on all the interview shows that Fantasia was the one they wanted to win. All 3 of them. Well, Fantasia won. No, I am not implying anything here. But it does seem extremely odd to me that on every single show they have been interviewed on - when asked who they thought would win - all 3 said Fantasia everytime. Also, they very seldom gave her any negetive comments. They keep saying she owned the night on Tuesday....well go back and listen to the tape. She screeched through many of the songs. It was like she had a cold and couldn't reach the notes and was forcing them out. But they went out of their way to point out Diana's mistake. Only Simon gave Fantasia a negative comment that night on a song I thought she did great on. Anyway - they can and do manipulate the vote and I think that should stop as well. Only helpful comments should be allowed, something they can go back and work on. Not comments to manipulate the masses. Some people wait to see what the judges think before they have an opinion of their own. That is not right of the judges.

The judges say one week that La Toya has the best voice ever in the competiton then in another tells Fantasia she is the best they have ever had in any of the competitions - they wanted her to win so badly and were way to obvious about it - it makes one feel bad for the other contestants waiting in the wings - it doesn't seem quite right somehow. They did it week after week after week too.

Sorry, for the novel, I have a lot to rant about and this only touches the surface, lol. But I will stop here, after all, it is only a TV show - one that drew me in way too far. I just feel I saw a lot of unfairness this year as I did last but it was worse this year and the teeny bopper voting almost ruined the entire experience for me. JPL staying when really talented people were getting ousted was really sickening. Leah, JPL, Camile (because of her stage freight) should have been the first 3 to go.

05-27-04, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"after watching many of her interviews after she was ousted she showed why she was not liked."

Hi SheeDreams.

What all did Jennifer do or say after she was ousted that showed why she was not liked?

I only saw a couple of interviews (ET), but she was gracious.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Hi SheeDreems, you almost have a novel writen here.

I guess this is the reason AI is so popular, many people have a strong opinion on who is the best, who is the worst, is the show 'rigged" etc. and even if viewers say the will quit watching if their favorite is voted out, they usually return for more.

So_Opinionated 177 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 02:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Opinionated Click to send private message to So_Opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Great thread subject Ginger...KUDOS

Now for my opinion...

1. Change the voting method is a must. There is no doubt a problem.
2. GET RID OF PAULA and Randy..she is useless and he is incomprehensibile. In short, neither one says a DAMN thing. If you notice in the auditions Randy doesn't have a true opinion until Simon says what he feels. Paula is a joke. Bring back Clive, Quentin T. or some new talented people. I would love to see Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis as judges.
3. The Wed result show should take as much time as it does to present the Lotto numbers. Start it at 7:50 and tell us by 8:00. These 30 minutes and 1 hours shows for 20 seconds of information is a waste of time.
4. I don't know about everyone else BUT I don't need to see auditions from every fricking city. Do a complilation of the auditions over two weeks. We'll get a few good laughs and see some of the talent being moved forward. The over done recap and audition shows is too much. Fox is trying to milk this but it will soon backfire when people get too much of it. Example- the last 7 days of the competition.
5. Allow each judge one override vote. To prevent the craziness of the best being in the bottom three, allow each judge a veto vote. They may or may nt need to use it but it will be available.
6. Stop all the talking back from the contestants. These kids are NOT paying their dues to the industry and need to learn to hold their tongues. They are only as special as the undiscovered talent in the local karaoke bar. The fact that they are bypassing the hard life of gaining recognition and making it in the entertainment industry needs to humble them. As the young mother stated on Showbiz Moms. you're cute But you're not that cute. You may have talent but you're not all that so sit down, shut up and acccept the constructive critcism.

7. And for my final OPINION....DRUM ROLL...........

HAVE EACH CONTESTANT PERFORM BEHIND A CURTAIN CONCEALING THEIR RACE. THEN WE WOULD NOT DEAL YEAR AFTER YEAR WITH THE RACE ISSUE COMING UP.

Boy I feel better, so relieved. I needed that Ginger.

YES, I said it, because I'm So Opinionated

05-27-04, 07:04 AM (EST)
41. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"allow each judge a veto vote"

Oh, I like that one, but it could present a problem if each judge didn't agree with the bottom three choices. Then, no one would be in the bottom three.

If a judge were to veto the votes, would that judge get to pick his/her choice as a replacement?

I've thought for a long time that the judges should have more say to keep things on the up and up, but am not sure what the exact rules should be to keep things fair for all.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-27-04, 07:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I think you summed it up best, Ginger! I did not think this season was anywhere as good as the previous season, and I really do not agree with Simon's statement that Fantasia is the best singer they've ever had. I still get goosebumps when I see a clip from season 1 of Kelly singing "A Moment Like This." That was her winning moment, without a doubt. Even last night, I enjoyed Kelly's performances much more than the finalists.

I'd definitely like to see more GOOD performances during the initial auditions. Let's face it, this season went to hell in a handbasket when William Hung got a record contract.

Other ideas for replacing Paula - Tone Loc or Vitamin C from Superstar USA! They're funny and I'd like to see what they'd say when they're not joking or lying.

"No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves."

05-27-04, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
A few minor things that irritated me was that the contestants sang so many duplicate songs. Once they sing a song it should be off limits for that season. On the final show we heard 3 repeats and the new song for the first single twice. That is ridiculous.

Additionally, how many times did we hear the new "I Believe" song. Let them make singles after the show is complete.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
How about no more theme music nights and let them sing their own written songs or style of stongs? See if they have talent besides singing.

SnowBunny 79 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SnowBunny Click to send private message to SnowBunny Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "Judges"
I sighed when Randy finally said something of substance to Diana, but unfortunately it came in the last performance of the season. Instead of, "Dude, it just wasn't dude ... I dunno, it was just alright ..." or the tired "It was a little pitchy", he actually said something comprehensible about her troubles in the lower register. Thank you for finally bringing something to the table, Randy. A little late for Diana, but maybe you will remember this one for next season.

Paula seemed to offer more constructive criticism to those auditioning in the first shows who had no chance to make it to the final 12, than she did to those who may have actually had a shot at the gold. What happened to her mid-season that she stopped saying anything of value other than "you look so pretty tonight"? Was she like this in seasons 1 and 2?

It doesn't surprise me at all that Simon indicated in the finale results show that he believes he is the only judge who knows what he's doing. If you get past all the boos from the audience and the cries from Paula cutting him off all the time, he actually has something of value to offer more often than not.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that the judges have a "scoring" system, for a variety of reasons (not really their role at this point in the show, and it would be cheesy anyway). But, at least work it out with them please. These people know what makes it in the business, and what appeals to an audience. They must have something more to offer.

05-27-04, 11:03 AM (EST)
48. "RE: Judges"
On the few occasions when Randy gave his opion after Simon, His response was that I gotta agree with Simon on this one as if he did not have a mind of his own. Paula just does not want to hurt anybodys feelings

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-27-04, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: Judges"
(Loving your new sigpic)! I am wondering if they cast the judges as they would in a scripted show. The Mean One, the Nice One and the Comic Relief One?

05-27-04, 12:03 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Judges"
Thanks on the sigpic. RollDdice created it for me.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "Results Shows"
I understand they need to fill at a minimum a half hour. So do this.

Open - Intro Contestants

Previous Night Recap - Don't do the go down the line one by one thing, do a film clip showing what they sang and what the judges said. Then, when that's done:

Announce Final Three

Break

Each of the Final Three sings

Break

Announce Person Going Home - (DON'T SEND ANYONE BACK)

Montage - Loser Sings Again

Close

05-27-04, 02:51 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Results Shows"
Works for me. Unless it's Nailbone performing; he can sing an encore.

I did want to mention that they finally toned down the stupid forced bickering between Simon and Seacrest by this season's end; I do appreciate that.

screech 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail screech Click to send private message to screech Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I feel that Fantasia does have a slight talent for stage presence, (although anyone could bob like chicken on stage), however, I think that it is EXTREMELY sad that we Americans have voted an un-wed, teenage mother as an "American Idol". What is this world coming to? Are we now accepting that this status is acceptable in order to become an idol?

Personally, her voice sends chills up my spine like finger nails on a chalkboard. I wouldn't spend one penny or one second of my time listening to her either scream or screech a sound out! I am so confused on what the Americans that voted for her heard, I may need to get my hearing checked!

The extreme talent within this season of American Idol was Latoya London, who is MARRIED with children! She deserved it more then anyone there! Sorry Latoya, we voted for you! I know we will be hearing from you very soon, only on the radio this time! Everyone knows you will make it much farther then Fansatia every will, one Macy Gray is enough.

I do have a gut feeling that this show is becoming fixed! Did anyone hear or see the final vote numbers, besides the producers?

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I am not criticizing anything you said about Fantasia but lets face it how many celebrities lead lives that anyone should be looking up to as idols.
I personally believe after watching this show now for the past 3 seasons and paying extra attention this year, I believe the judges pick a winner before the season starts, they pick them out of the auditions and that is the person who they mod around the show.
If you notice, the person always starts off slow in the beginning of the season but at the end they can do no wrong.
Even in the cae of Diana, week after week she took major abuse from the judges including Quentin Tarantino, what changed about her singing that then made the judges think she was so great???
Simon'a article in New York Times stated he did not think Latoya had the personlity to win and the last week she was on when she commented about being a winner he said he knew she was gone.
I remmember seeing Fox's commercial the week before Latoya left and it stated 'IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHO WILL WIN, DON'T COUNT ON IT". that week Latoya went home.
This season was all about controversy and the producers have the discretion to do what they want. I truly believe now, Fantasia was chosen by them from the start and the master plan was put into effect.
I still refuse to believe that FAntasia, Jennifer and Latoya all ended in the bottom 3 that week and if you noticed, why was it the week Latoya left once again Fantasia was in the Bottom 2 with her??
I still refuse to believe that Jasmine was raking in all those votes from Hawaii, Hawaii the whole state has a population of 1.5 million and you mean to tell me week after week she was not voted off. Come on, I heard even Hawaiians were not voting for her??
The saddest part of it all was last night how they paraded all those well some wannabe celebrities in to say how much they watch the show and they Tivo it, etc. etc. Most of the stars were on Fox network. How many stars are actually tuning in to this stuff?
All water under the bridge now and the only solution I can give anyone if they are disatisfied is to not watch.
Although next year, we are now guaranteed a white male singer.

AddisonBunch 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AddisonBunch Click to send private message to AddisonBunch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
79. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"

>Although next year, we are now
>guaranteed a white male singer.
>

Or an Asian transgender.

*grin

05-27-04, 03:21 PM (EST)
61. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Fantasia does have a slight talent for stage presence

Okay, this phrase made me laugh. Doesn't one either have stage presence or not have it? How can you have a "slight talent" for it?

05-27-04, 03:30 PM (EST)
62. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 03:31 PM (EST)

"however, I think that it is EXTREMELY sad that we Americans have voted an un-wed, teenage mother as an "American Idol". What is this world coming to? Are we now accepting that this status is acceptable in order to become an idol?"

I'll go you one further. I think it should be a requirement.

My talented illegitimate daughter and I thank you, Mr. Quayle.

05-27-04, 04:46 PM (EST)
66. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
And I'm loving you for that, Ginger.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-27-04, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
68. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Ginger, you are SOOOOO my American Idol! *smooches*

"No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves."

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-27-04, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
69. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
however, I think that it is EXTREMELY sad that we Americans have voted an un-wed, teenage mother as an "American Idol". What is this world coming to? Are we now accepting that this status is acceptable in order to become an idol?"

I'll go you one further. I think it should be a requirement.

Ginger, don't you think that your requirement is a tad bit sexist? If there are guys out there who have knocked up one or more chicks, don't you think they could also be considered?

*hearts* Ginger

05-27-04, 05:14 PM (EST)
70. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I can definitely envision Clay at "Mommy and Me."

You know, I was chatting with Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston about this at lunch, and I definitely think moral value judgments are important when identifying pop stars.

Britney says "fer sure" to that, too.

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-27-04, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
You know, I was chatting with Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston about this at lunch, and I definitely think moral value judgments are important when identifying pop stars.

It seems that there is consensus in the pop star community. You know, when I was discussing this with Michael Jackson, he totally got on his moral high horse about how he waited until he was married to be a father.

A Kyngsladye Original

05-27-04, 05:44 PM (EST)
72. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I have Joni Mitchell on the phone right now, and -- wait one sec -- she says...basically the same thing, and that's why she put her daughter up for adoption.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-04, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
99. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I think for guys the minimum requirement should be having knocked up three chicks and being married to none of them.

05-27-04, 05:57 PM (EST)
73. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"I think that it is EXTREMELY sad that we Americans have voted an un-wed, teenage mother as an "American Idol". What is this world coming to? Are we now accepting that this status is acceptable in order to become an idol?"

Well, dammit - no wonder I didn't win. I had my daughter at 19, too - so America thought I was unacceptable! But, but....I AM your American Idol!! I AM!!

Sheesh. What she's done in her personal life is none of anyone's business. Period.

05-27-04, 08:07 PM (EST)
76. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
The focus is not that Fantasia had a child out of wedlock. The story has to do with her perseverance to provide that child with everything she needs.

During ET tonight, Fantasia said that she had sacrificed three whole months away from her child in order to compete. It's obvious that little girl is her number one priority in life. I admire that.

I also like Fantasia's remark that she will always have to return home. She is grounded in family, church, and community. Those qualities are important. We all make mistakes, and some are whoppers. It's what we do about them that counts.

Fantasia seems to take a head on approach to life. I doubt she spends much time putting conditions on what kind of behavior is acceptable to her regarding other people. She's focused on doing her own best with the resources she has. She's tending to her family and working hard to achieve the best for them.

Now THAT's a story!

thisgirl8 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-28-04, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thisgirl8 Click to send private message to thisgirl8 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
85. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
>The focus is not that Fantasia
>had a child out of
>wedlock. The story has
>to do with her perseverance
>to provide that child with
>everything she needs.
>
>During ET tonight, Fantasia said that
>she had sacrificed three whole
>months away from her child
>in order to compete.
>It's obvious that little girl
>is her number one priority
>in life. I admire
>that.
>

Actually, if Fantasia's daughter WAS her #1 priority, she wouldn't have left her for 3 months to follow her dream.

True she is trying to make a better life for her and her daughter, but it came at the expense of her daughter. That is not admirable.

05-28-04, 10:05 PM (EST)
88. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"trying to make a better life for her and her daughter, but it came at the expense of her daughter. That is not admirable."

Ok. You're right. She should have not even tried to make a better life for her daughter. She should have stayed in whatever low paying job she had and paid for her "SIN" for the rest of her life. How DARE she dream about a lucrative career in music? Oh my.

And I am shocked, SHOCKED! that Fantasia insisted on seeing her daughter as often as she did while performing. That was a VERY irresponsible thing. We won't mention how selfish, as well.

Oh yeah, and the fact that the little girl had to stay in the care of her obviously loving grandmother - well, need I say more?! Worse fate never befell a child.

okaychatt - Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-04, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
91. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Whoa! The question is, do the ends justify the means? Does the recording contract and the (potentially) "better life" that comes with it justify leaving her daughter for 3 months? It doesn't for me. I understand why it might for someone else.

And, will the new life of an American Idol Winner really allow her to spend any more time with her daughter than she did as an AI Contestant? Sometimes, a "better life" really isn't better for the child. I used to be an administrative assistant to a CFO of a bank. She worked 60-80 hours per week in the office, plus spent time working from home. Sure, she was making a buttload of money, but I wouldn't argue that it made her kids' lives better than they would have been if she'd only worked 40 hours a week making a regular middle class wage - quite the opposite as far as I could see. How many kids out there would gladly give up all the money and STUFF that comes with it in exchange for more time with their mom &/or dad?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

05-30-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
93. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Fantasia has much love for her child. The little girl's grandmother has much love for the child. Many loving mothers manage to work full time and still be great moms. I think Fantasia is one of those.

Fantasia is grounded in her church, her family, and community. Her priorities are straight.

Let's just agree to disagree on this and move on.

05-30-04, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
94. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I'm not even sure that I really disagree with you so much as I can totally see the other side of the argument. Babies don't understand "Mommy/Daddy has to leave you for a short while to make life better in the long run." They just can't.

05-30-04, 03:08 PM (EST)
95. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
""Mommy/Daddy has to leave you for a short while to make life better in the long run." They just can't."

True. But they do understand love and care from a grandmother. The baby has consistent and steady love and attention from her family.

I think Fantasia will see to it that her baby has the best, and that includes lots of quality time with herself.

If you disagree, so be it.

okaychatt - out.

AMAI 1254 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-04, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AMAI Click to send private message to AMAI Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
96. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Three months? Not enough to admonish her over, especially given how it worked out. And it's not like she never saw the child - we saw that she was there, a number of times.

3 years, maybe I'd be agreeing with you, but not 3 months. I think the means used to achieve the end are worthy. It's hardly like she went out robbing banks in order to provide for her child. I don't understand the moral outrage here.

05-30-04, 06:10 PM (EST)
97. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I'm not sure if you meant to reply to me or not. I'm not "morally outraged." I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I can see both sides of the issue. My husband is in the military. He has to go out of town, sometimes for more than a month at a time. (We've been fortunate that he's never had to leave for a truly extended period.) I'm a stay at home mom. I'm the primary care giver for our children, whether my husband is home or not. That doesn't change the fact that it totally sucks that he has to be away from them! If I could change the situation, I would.

There are people out there who choose to pursue their own interests at the expense of their children (the Nutter dad comes to mind). There are people who chose to make a temporary sacrifice for the long term benefit of their children. I couldn't tell you which one Fantasia is, based solely on the tiny snippet of her life I've seen via AI. I hope it all works out to the benefit of her baby girl. My feeling is that, at the very least, her intentions are good.

AMAI 1254 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-04, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AMAI Click to send private message to AMAI Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
98. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-04 AT 05:15 PM (EST)

Actually, udg, I realize I may have been responding to thisgirl8, whose post rather got my back up:

Actually, if Fantasia's daughter WAS her #1 priority, she wouldn't have left her for 3 months to follow her dream.

True she is trying to make a better life for her and her daughter, but it came at the expense of her daughter. That is not admirable.

My apologies if you felt attacked. You do seem to be trying to see both sides.

However, I must say that I don't see Fantasia's decision to enter the contest as constituting a sacrifice. She made an investment of a rather short period of time which has paid off handsomely, for her personal fulfillment, and for her ability to provide for herself and her child. Both are equally important. An unhappy person is not a good parent.

Fantasia was unable to spend as many hours per day with her child as usual, but I don't agree that it should be characterized as a sacrifice, but rather as a cost. Perhaps it's hard to understand, since most people don't understand the difference.

Also, in this particular instance, Fantasia's absence was not the exact same as a parent going out of town or out of country to work, since little Zion was (1) able to visit and (2) able to see her mommy on TV.

I think Fantasia entered the situation with the right intention and that it was a worthwhile endeavor for her. There was no sacrifice here. It may have been a high price, but to call it a sacrifice would mean she would rather have spent the time with her daughter than win the contest.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-27-04, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
64. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Final thoughts on the season as i think of them as typing...

* I said Fantasia should win after the wildcard show. I was right again, as i also said this about Kelley the first season. I was one off with picking Clay on season 2, but in the end, he's "won".

* I thought the final 12 this season was the weakest bunch so far over all 3 seasons.

* I do not want to see any changes in the judges. I think those three MAKE this show, and i don't want to see Paula go, or randy, or least of all Simon. They are hte show.

* I have no problem with teh age requirements.

* Jennifer/LaToya booting - get over it. There was no racism, there is no conspiracy, their being voted off is due to simply stupidity and sympathy voting.

* If there was racism, how did Fantasia win?!

* Eliminate the God-awful themes. i'd like to see the contestants pick songs each week, 'nuff said. People like Jon Stevens should be able to go with their strengths.

* Voting is fine as-is. You can't correct for a nation's mass-stupidity.

* Keep the Wednesday show to 30 minutes.

* Ditch the "Final 5" and "Final 3" specials.

* Ditch the guest judges, they're worthless. Although, i did like Quentin Tarentino and finally someone didn't just clap and say they all did well. He actually had an opinion.

* Ditch the God-awful promo group songs

* "Seacrest Out" must go also

* Try to get a winner's first single to be something other than the cliche'd "I Won American Idol, I Did It And Reached My Dream' song. Three is enough.

enough for now. Bring on Big Brother.

geekboy

05-27-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
65. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
July 6th. Geekboy!!!!!!!!
Maybe the house will have a few singers.
Hey, now thats an idea for a show. You can stick all the losers of American Idol into the Big Brother house and see how long they can last.

05-27-04, 08:11 PM (EST)
77. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"Voting is fine as-is. You can't correct for a nation's mass-stupidity."

If that were the case, I'd agree.

From what I can glean, a good part of the problem is the odds makers power voting. They're betting on the least favored singer to win, and are fixing the show.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-27-04, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
80. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
my answer to that is simple.

Odds makers have a right to state what THEY FEEL the odds are, but i would venture a guess that the people voting based on these odds are in the minority and therefore have minimal effect on the overall outcome.

That only leads back to my claim of nationwide stupidity in voting, and i would extend that and claim that a majority of the stupid ones are under the age of 20.

geekboy

05-28-04, 09:46 AM (EST)
83. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"but i would venture a guess that the people voting based on these odds are in the minority and therefore have minimal effect on the overall outcome."

I am also conjecturing, but the odds makers have the money and uncaring greed to set up a lot of power votes to increase their odds on a huge return if the least likely horse wins.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

05-27-04, 04:49 PM (EST)
67. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
In think they need to scale back the show, go more to the format of Season 1. 10 finalists, in what looked to be a tv studio to me.
did you see that spectacle last night? the only thing missing was Bush's phone call to Fantasia after she won..
I think they went a bit over the edge.
Now I see why these people think they are bonafide stars, talent are not.
If they don't want to replace Paula then someone needs to sit her down and tell her or show her how dumb she sometimes comes across on camera.
The things she says are stupid half the time.
Its always the same, "you look beautiful", "my how you have grown". then the tears, gee, year afer year its the same. Toughen her up some.
Randy, just teach him how to speak English, that may help.
Also, one requirement of the contestants, that they wear the proper undergarmets or better yet just make sure they wear undergarments.

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
74. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 07:19 PM (EST)

I think all these judgemental people on this and other threads with regard to Fantasia's unwed mother status are absolutely hilarious. I'm so glad that everyone who has critized Fantasia for that has made no mistakes in their lives. It's wonderful to be so perfect!!!

What should Fantasia do --- crawl under a rock and cry? Hide herself away because she made a mistake?? I'd prefer to see girls like her continue to try to better themselves and their situations, not just accept a fatalistic view that they are trash forever now because they made a mistake (I am assuming Fantasia's baby was the result of an unplanned pregnancy here.) I think of the mistakes I have made in my life, and how much better (ha-ha) my self-esteem would be if everyone simply slammed the door in my face and told me I was a loser forever now because of one choice I made. How wonderful to never get a second chance! <gag>

Furthermore, are we now holding American Idols up to different standards than other celebrities?? How many movie/TV stars have lives that are worth emulating? I didn't realize that being a celebrity now requires a morals clause. I guess Hollywood is about to lose 90 percent of its celebrities. And who decides "morals" anyway? If you found out that Diana Degarmo had an abortion, would that be okay?? Or would she be trash too because she chose to end a pregnancy instead of continue it?? When did this become the Holy Roller singing competition?

Jeez, louise.....................

05-27-04, 08:19 PM (EST)
78. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"I think of the mistakes I have made in my life, and how much better (ha-ha) my self-esteem would be if everyone simply slammed the door in my face and told me I was a loser forever now because of one choice I made."

Right ON!!! My philosophy is that I've got so much to work on in my own life that I have no time or business making judgements on others. Life should be more about working toward unconditional love than looking for faults in other people in order to feel better about myself. In my opinion, making judgements is a sign that an individual is needy in self esteem. I've been there myself, and I was not a happy camper.

I'm not perfect, and I have a way to go. But at least I am making progress instead of getting tripped up over things other people do that I have no control over.

rnabring 54 desperate attention whore postings

05-28-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rnabring Click to send private message to rnabring Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
87. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
100% agreed Shannon Banana...

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. (and if you have no idea what that means...wake up...and you were probably one of the people judging her personal actions and choices).

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings

05-27-04, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
75. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-04 AT 07:29 PM (EST)

Now, that I'm done on my Fantasia rant <smile>, here are some ways to improve the show.

1. Paula must SHUT UP whenever Simon speaks. Simon is allowed to have an opinion too and usually his is the only honest one, although Randy was better this year. Also, Paula must be forced to give real critiques --- telling contestants they look beautiful should be banned from her vocabulary.

2. Stop with the hour long vote-off shows. A half hour is bad enough, but a zillion "after the break!" announcements is enough to drive anyone mental. I agree with the person who said that TIVO saved their life this year on watching --- I too taped most AI shows and then started watching it either halfway through or once it was over and it allowed me to FF past all the irritating "breaks."

3. Stop with the ridiculous singing montages where all the Idols act goofy in some stupid video. They're nothing short of embarassing.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Either institute an Anti-Voter phone line for each contestant so we can vote for the contestant we most think should be kicked off every week -- that should have some balancing effect against your "yes" votes -- or else change the voting so that you're not phoning in for your favorite contestant, but the contestant you think is the worst and should be kicked off. Even though that could get "stacked" too just like the votes get stacked in favor of particular contestants, I'll bet it would be a lot more evened out that way.

GinaVendetti 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-26-04, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GinaVendetti Click to send private message to GinaVendetti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
110. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I love you Shanana u always read my mind.

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-28-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
81. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"

You guys are better than me because I can't watch this show. After I saw Will Hung or whatever his name is do his classic rendition of "She Bang! She Bang!" I was done, I knew this was going to end badly. However, I do have an idea as far as voting(off) people a la Last Comic Standing. Why don't the contestants vote for one person who they think they can "sing better than", and the person with the most votes gets to chose from one of the people who thinks they can sing better than them, and those two have a sing-off? Give the crowd those little button chosing thingies located next to each seat, let them chose the winner, and voila! Problem solved...

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004 All Rights Reserved Biiaatch!

05-28-04, 09:48 AM (EST)
84. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"Give the crowd those little button chosing thingies located next to each seat, let them chose the winner, and voila! Problem solved..."

But, but, but then I couldn't vote, and everyone is entitled to my opinion! :-P

05-28-04, 12:25 PM (EST)
86. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"

Not to mention the golden opportunity to send an AT&T TEXT MESSAGE! On your AT&T PHONE, KIDS!

Would prefer it if audience buttons, when pushed, would produce minor electrical shocks on the stage. Might galvinize those pitchy contestants.

05-28-04, 10:08 PM (EST)
89. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
"audience buttons, when pushed, would produce minor electrical shocks on the stage. Might galvinize those pitchy contestants."

Well it would certainly provide motivation to sing in key! HA!

lyrker 203 desperate attention whore postings

05-29-04, 00:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lyrker Click to send private message to lyrker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
90. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Considering who won, I hope this ends the 'American Idol is racist' foo next year...

"Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be."
- Jeremy Schwartz

Tikirini308 9 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-04, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tikirini308 Click to send private message to Tikirini308 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
92. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
My suggestions for upcoming AI's.

I was tired of the judges, mostly Simon, telling the 16 year old contestants that they were too young and not experienced enough to be in the competition. HELLO! who put all the sixteen year old in the competition? THE JUDGES DID! Maybe they should raise the minimum to 18 years old.

Randy needs to speak like a grown man and not a teenager. Get rid of the dawgs and dudes.

Paula need to speak intelligently. Stop telling them how pretty they are. And stop telling them that they made that song "their own". Give them accurate criticism and raves, not stupid fluff. Makes her look like a baffoon.

NO MORE 1 hour recap shows.

I also think that the pre-judges, the ones that preview the contestants before Simon, Randy and Paula get to hear them, do a pretty crappy job. And I don't mean the really bad ones that they pick for ratings. If the judges thought that they had the best contestants this year out of all three years, we're in trouble. I think some of them are tone deaf.

06-04-04, 04:45 PM (EST)
102. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I agree with you. We will wait to see what happens.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-04, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
100. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-04 AT 05:18 PM (EST)

--actually missed the finale

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-04, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
101. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
And another 2 cents....

I'm generally one of those "I'll never watch again" folks but what lures me back in are the auditions and the hilarity that ensues (look no further than William Hung for a great example).

I love it when these jaded judges roll over the WHOLE floor laughing (like when Paula suggested a bad singer sing another song and he chose CRAZY) - it's totally worth it, at least this part of the shows.

But, you get hooked via the old "wow, I like this person, I'll just watch to see how far she makes it" and then WHAMO, they got you (although to my credit I did not watch the majority of season 2, I think it was because of Clay Aiken or one of my faves were voted off first thing, can't remember).

Anyway, season 3 was something to do and my sweetie and I had a few belly busters of our own watching the show's auditions, etc. (was there really anything else on at that time anyway?).

I thought a good to reasonable job was done (for the final 12) up to the point of JPL being picked by the audience (to me it was a William Hung Jr. thing all over again). But, I wasn't concerned (I thought he would improve).

In summary for the year, I would have to say....

1. The voting system is totally bogus or flawed. I think 4 judges and a consolidation of an audience vote for the 5th should be put into place. And, that vote should be for the worst singer.

2. Although I know that Ryan Seacrap is only doing his job, he still annoys me (and it doesn't help that he's even on the commercials for AI) so I would like to see him removed to a more "on location" position, like "and now for a live report from China, it's Ryan") and I would like to see Paula removed from the judging post and put on as a co-host (however, judging by how she has done on other programs for reporting/hosting she should probablly be dumped all together). Paula's now empty slot and the new judge position would be filled by established singers or industry professionals.

3. BS cutesy segments - gone. Quickie 5 second this is so-and-so singing with established star - gone (replaced with more detailed, longer behind the scenes info).

4. Voting results are revealed at the start of the next show for the following week.

5. All stylists will be fired and removed from the set as well as the country. Blue Jean clothing will be permanently banned.

leogirl_21 371 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-04, 06:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leogirl_21 Click to send private message to leogirl_21 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
103. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I am probably the only one to think this but this season was very blah.

06-06-04, 06:40 AM (EST)
104. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
You're definitely NOT the only one. Last season, I didn't miss an episode. If I couldn't watch when it was on, I recorded it! I would re-watch with DH sometimes. DH actually made an effort to watch, even!

This time, I don't think I watched an entire episode the whole season! I'd turn it on most nights, but I'd be in and out of the room, and I'd frequently miss the beginning or turn it off before it was over. My husband probably didn't watch an entire hour for the whole season combined. By the end, I didn't even care who won.

"Google what? Weaselwolves?" ~Frisky

06-06-04, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
105. "Blah!"
You are not the only one. May I join you in the "Blah" comment.

I was really excited about this season, but at about the mid point, I lost interest.

Especially with all the racist talk, the "Three Divas", etc. It wasn't a great season to me. I didn't care for anyone really.

Last year, I couldn't wait to watch. I counted the days until Tuesday. My sis and I would talk on the phone the whole hour or two, discussing the contestants. She stopped watching this year, no phones calls. We lost the passion. By the end, I didn't care who won. It just didn't matter.

Last season when it was over. I was sad. This year, nothing.

Good luck to Fantasia, and Diana.. but I won't be running out to purchase their CD's.

An Official Kittyloaf Sig

06-07-04, 04:40 PM (EST)
106. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Somebody was watching because ratings were up approximately 15% for the year.

ŠSlice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

06-07-04, 07:18 PM (EST)
107. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
I said my sister didn't watch anymore. I watched. I just didn't find it as exciting as I did last season. In the end, it truly didn't matter to me who won.

I'll watch next season too. I just hope it's a little more exciting to me.

An Official Kittyloaf Sig

06-10-04, 05:01 AM (EST)
108. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
" just hope it's a little more exciting to me"

Ohhhhhhh - MAYBE they'll have a final ten that can sing in key, ALL the time. Now there's a concept!

okaychatt -Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

kevinwills 1 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-04, 11:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kevinwills Click to send private message to kevinwills Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
109. "RE: Look Back (in anger?) - The Season in Review"
Interesting article about Idol V4.0 and how they "fix" what may or may not be broken...

http://www.imusicians.com/columns/article5.php

Don't know much about the site, or the guy who wrote it, but there's a point or two in there I haven't seen raised elsewhere. I think the site is new - there's not a ton of content there yet beyond this article.

cya
kev

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •