The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Interesting article from the New York Times"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-23-04, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karennz Click to send private message to Karennz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Interesting article from the New York Times"
There actually were two articles about American Idol in today's paper. The main article discussed the voting system, which has been talked to death on this forum. However, some comments buried in the story were much more interesting. There are some fairly incriminating comments about why/how some less-talented singers got through this year. The article puts much of the blame on the three judges. Here's an excerpt:

Perhaps no one should be shocked that race is as complicated a matter on "American Idol" as it is in, well, America. Some of the criticism has been hyperbolic, or at least reductive. According to one racial conspiracy theory, Ms. London's fall was blamed on the mysterious popularity of Jasmine Trias. But Ms. Trias, who is Hawaiian, is also a woman of color — she's Asian-American.

As for the judges, they might have lowered their standards in order to assemble a group with the widest possible audience appeal. Specifically, they picked John Stevens and Jon Peter Lewis to be among the pool of contestants. These two cute, nerdy white boys were out of their league even in the earliest auditions. Mr. Stevens forgot the words to his song and received a withering lecture from Mr. Cowell; Mr. Jackson told Mr. Lewis he sounded "cartoonish." Yet both were chosen for the semifinals.

Their value was clear: they attracted girls, particularly the young girls who are likely to watch, vote and buy. The fact that Mr. Lewis and Mr. Stevens made it past the try-outs based solely on their looks might be what caused "American Idol" to cease being the show it's supposed to be.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Interesting article from the Ne... shedevil 05-23-04 1
   RE: Interesting article from the Ne... rjrabbit 05-23-04 2
       RE: Interesting article from the Ne... shedevil 05-25-04 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-23-04, 09:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Interesting article from the New York Times"
I have to disagree about JPL and John Stevens being there for their "looks", if that was the case, then why wouldn't they have kept that super-hot average singing, blonde hottie that sang to Paula in the auditions? Now that would get girls to watch and vote. I also think that JPL is a good singer.

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-23-04, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Interesting article from the New York Times"
Thanks for bringing the article to our attention Karennz.

Good point shedevil, that guy would have gotten lots of votes just on his looks but he didn't take the competition seriously at all (deciding to chase the bikini model instead). I wonder if he'll be back next year to tryout again?

I do however agree partially with the article. My DH and I could not figure out how John Stevens made it to the top 32 when he performed so poorly in LA. He forgot the words and sucked big time. I could not figure out why he got through to the top 32 after screwing up so bad.

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-25-04, 05:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Interesting article from the New York Times"
I wondered how John Stevens got through also, but I personally don't think he's cute, so I can't believe that would be reason he got through. I think it was because he was different, but different isn't always a good thing. He proved that.You mean the model who has a mouth that you could drive a car into? It reminds me of one of my favorite Oasis songs "into my big mouth, you could fly a plane".

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •