The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-21-04, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
Fair Use quoted from his latest column on ESPN.com's Page 2. Hopefully this actually belongs under general discussion, as he's more or less talking about the field and show as a whole. More or less...

'OK, here's my final take on "American Idol."

Yeah, final. I'm through. I'm not watching it ever again and I think you know why.

What is wrong with America that LaToya London would get voted off? I've heard all sorts of stories about the voting and how it might be affected by people who bet on it. And if that's the case, then that's pretty disappointing. That's how we're trying to make some money? Betting on "American Idol"?

Jennifer Hudson was voted off last month and she's still talking about the storm that knocked out power in Chicago so her "fans" couldn't watch and couldn't vote.

Seriously, they need to fix this voting thing. I don't know how, but it's not working. Why don't they let the public get it down to the final five and let the judges pick? What are they there for anyway?

They could use the system TV networks use when they blackout a game. Wherever you're from -- those votes don't count for you. They're blacked out.

The people left can't even sing. It's not just looks. Looks don't do a thing when you're trying to listen in your car.

Clay Aiken, Kelly Clarkson and Ruben Studdard: they can all sing. But Diana DeGarmo and Fantasia Barrino? I would never listen to those two.

Hey, love him or hate him, maybe they should let Simon make all the picks.

What do I care? I'm done with it -- forever.'

Interesting idea on blacking out votes from the contestant's home regions. No one's ever going to do it, but it's an interesting idea.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A few final words from John Kru... geekboy 05-21-04 1
   RE: A few final words from John Kru... JOSHIDOL 05-21-04 2
       RE: A few final words from John Kru... seahorse 05-21-04 3
           RE: A few final words from John Kru... Fishercat 05-21-04 4
       Hmm, DontGetMeStarted 05-22-04 6
           Welcome to the Forums! Fishercat 05-22-04 7
               Thanks for the welcome! DontGetMeStarted 05-22-04 8
 RE: A few final words from John Kru... Fishercat 05-21-04 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-21-04, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
Get over it, there is NO conspiracy. This program follows the votes of America, and stupid people do stupid things sometimes. You add up pity votes, backlash votes, and all that crap and you get unexpected results. Get over it, its America messing it up not FOX.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-21-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
I don't necessarily agree with you about it not being Fox's fault. It is becoming quite obvious to people who have watched the show for 3 seasons that the winners are picked in advance. Nobody can explain as yet how the outcome is usually in who Fox chooses but maybe one day it will.
It all boils down to once again in the rules the last line says "American Idol has the right to change any rules or procedures up to the discretion of the producers without notice". Now I even asked someone in the legal business and tehy said that with that statement Fox has the right to do whatever they want with the tally of the votes and they cannot be held liable for it.
So saying American has it wrong may not be exactly right.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-21-04, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
These conspiracy theories are unbelievable. There is no way Fox is going to risk "fixing" the results. The ratings are too high for them to ever take that chance. They would kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

American Idol would die if it came out the results were "fixed" just like the night time quiz shows in the 1950's when it became known that popular contestants were given answers up front to keep them on the show.

What incentive would Fox have to purposely put Fantasia and Diana in the finals, over say Jennifer and La Toya.

If they really wanted to maximize ratings then they would have made Jasmine one of the finalists because then everyone would watch the final to see what would happen and the ratings would go through the roof.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-21-04, 07:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
Although I agree with the general message (that voting is not rigged), I have to respond to this...

"What incentive would Fox have to purposely put Fantasia and Diana in the finals, over say Jennifer and La Toya."

Fantasia and Diana, when push comes to shove, have only two major points in common, they both have above average performer values and they are both from the southeast. Otherwise, we have the high school phenom v. the attitude-driven Gospel singer, which applies to a lot of markets (The prevalent teeny-bopper market, possibly the Gospel/Soul market, the pop music market, the contemporary market, etc.).

In comparison to LaToya and Jennifer (for instance), who are very similar in style and only share a couple noticeable differences. Both are "diva" type powerhouses and both can sing the power ballads. Jennifer has a stronger voice and LaToya is more of a performer. Overall, I think they would apply to similar markets, which only hurts American Idol.

If I were to ever (God forbid) see an American Idol concert, I'd be more likely to buy a ticket if I could see a more diverse crowd more often. If I would prevalently see the "Big 3" (Fantasia, LaToya, Jennifer), and then have the rest be a supporting cast, then I wouldn't see the show.

Diversity creates a happy crowd.

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-22-04, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Hmm,"
It is becoming quite
>obvious to people who have
>watched the show for 3
>seasons that the winners are
>picked in advance. Nobody can
>explain as yet how the
>outcome is usually in who
>Fox chooses but maybe one
>day it will.

Hi, I've been lurking for over a year...

It seems to me that the obviousness comes out AFTER we know who the 'winners' are, then it seems that (whomever) was 'shining' from the beginning. You know the saying hindsight is always 20/20. For example if you look back at old episodes of FRIENDS it seems now that the Monica/Chandler pairing was being set up way back when, but the producers state that they didn't even consider it until the season before they got together at that wedding.

The reality of it is that it's called Chemistry, and sometimes talented people have it and sometimes not so talented people have it and it overshadows the lack of talent (ex: IMO- Madonna) my point is that when you look back after all of the blah contestants, the few with chemistry (or 'connection') shines through.

I don't think it's (just) the editing button showing us manufactured bits, think back to Kim Caldwell, a case where they tried to make her shine and she just had bad chemistry. Blah! And William Hung has it. That's funny when you think about it!

Anyway jmo.

05-22-04, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Welcome to the Forums!"
Have a great time here, but lurking around for that long, I am willing to be you know the basics.

I think you make a really interesting (but true) point on the chemistry, and although I think they are editing it to make it easier for the people they want to win, you may be right. People have to feel a connection to the singers.
---
<== A Missionhockey21 creation

DontGetMeStarted 880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-22-04, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DontGetMeStarted Click to send private message to DontGetMeStarted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Thanks for the welcome!"
Yeah, that connection is just 'there', what's cool about the connection (I think) is that it's really arbitrary, I mean can you imagine William Hung being the most popular kid in school? Yet he connects with people somehow. It's very interesting.

I have to admit that I have never read the posting guidelines (I guess that's on my list now..!) but I have seen the comments that have been referred over to them .....

05-21-04, 07:27 PM (EST)
5. "RE: A few final words from John Kruk -- and blacking out phone calls from the hometowns?"
Although Kruk can be sort of a tool when it comes to baseball arguments (Jarrod Washburn is a CY possibility with his 4.5+ ERA since he has 7 wins, gimme a break), he has a credible point here. It works very similar to a regionalizing vote that I touted and stole from World Idol, namely split the country into x number of geographic and population based groups and give points based on the votes from each region.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •