The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Message Board"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

nofx242 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-18-01, 11:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nofx242 Click to send private message to nofx242 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Message Board"
I think this is so funny, everyone is so scared about posting being a newbie and getting flammed. Whats that, who cares, anytime someone posts on here Shakes the fag comes in and has something to say like he is the master survivor expert. I understand people making up stuff, but if someone comes on here and makes a valid point you bash theam down. Well Im making a point this board sucks, there are plenty of other boards to read and post where people dont act like they are something special. Where every post is something about survivor not somebody bashing on everyone, and the few losers who play follow the leader. Let me give you a clue shakes, Get a Life. Maybe back in your world "this board" your something cool, but in the game called life you are one big loser.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Bye AyatollahKhomeini 03-18-01 1
 RE: Message Board dbjennings 03-19-01 2
 Shake's Razor... IceCat 03-19-01 3
   No justification for the rudeness..... SurvivinDawg 03-19-01 4
       A Well Stated Case Dawg... IceCat 03-19-01 5
           RE: A Well Stated Case Dawg... missalex 03-19-01 6
               RE: A Well Stated Case Dawg... SurvivinDawg 03-19-01 7
                   shakes AyatollahKhomeini 03-19-01 16
                       RE: shakes SurvivorBlows 03-19-01 17
                           RE: shakes IceCat 03-19-01 18
                               RE: shakes Minstrel 03-21-01 36
                           RE: shakes Kokoro 03-19-01 19
 RE: Message Board wendyp 03-19-01 8
   Ditto Riordan 03-19-01 10
       RE: Ditto SurvivinDawg 03-19-01 11
           RE: Ditto Riordan 03-19-01 12
 Watch Out!!! MistyG 03-19-01 9
   RE: Watch Out!!! missalex 03-19-01 13
       RE: Watch Out!!! Cocosette 03-19-01 14
 RE: Message Board wildcamper 03-19-01 15
 "Behind the Music" with Shakes the ... shakes the clown 03-19-01 20
   No way AyatollahKhomeini 03-19-01 21
   RE: "Behind the Music" with Shakes ... missalex 03-19-01 22
   My turn. SurvivinDawg 03-19-01 23
       RE: My turn. Kokoro 03-19-01 25
       misunderstanding shakes the clown 03-19-01 27
   from one of the "third types of new... lather_rinse_repeat 03-19-01 24
       Nothing wrong with fun... AyatollahKhomeini 03-19-01 26
           actually.... lather_rinse_repeat 03-20-01 28
 In the great words of S1's Colleen.... Dreamingofcolleen 03-20-01 29
   RE: Live and Learn OR Don't List... Dalton 03-20-01 30
       RE: Live and Learn OR Don't List... George Tirebiter 03-20-01 34
 RE: Message Board ItzLisa 03-20-01 31
   RE: Message Board Lisapooh 03-20-01 32
 RE: Message Board MadforMadDog 03-20-01 33
 Message Board - The End bondt007 03-20-01 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-18-01, 11:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Bye"
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-01 AT 11:28 PM (EST)

You're right, there are plenty of other boards. Many of them think that good spelling, good grammar, and actually posting a spoiler on the spoiler board are optional, just as you seem to think. Hope you enjoy them. You'll fit right in. Bye.

P.S. I just checked your posting records. You made one serious post (about hearing Jeff Probst talk about a lockbox on Howard Stern) and then have tried to flame shakes the other three times. Before you question what shakes contributes, you should realize that you haven't contributed anything to this board. We won't miss you when you're gone.

dbjennings 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-19-01, 00:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dbjennings Click to send private message to dbjennings Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Message Board"
I'm fairly new here myself (a former lurker from the SS board), but I think that you solved your problem yourself: "There are plenty of other boards to read and post..." I hope you enjoy them.
Nobody here flames without good reason. Sorry you didn't enjoy your time here, but calling other posters names is a waste of board space and my reading time.
To everyone else, I feel guilty for posting this and keeping this thread on the board, but I hate whining. Feel free to flame away...
Now back to our regularly scheduled (and arguable meaningful) analysis.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-01, 05:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Shake's Razor..."
I am definitely a new-comer here. Like many others I was a SS refugee that found SB to a welcome haven. On my first post, Shakes was the first to take me to to task on the validity of a few of my points. I stood my ground and gave some more thought to how I could make my arguments more convincing and posted an even better argument... Occam's Razor is one thing but Shake's Razor is a completely different animal:

Shake's Razor:
If it smells like crap... it probably is crap...
AND... point it out, so that nobody else steps in it!

It is important to call people to task for posting unfiltered drivel. If people choose to really not think about what they are doing and open duplicate posts or unsubstantiated theories or anything else that can just adds to the noise that we have to filter thru, then those people deserve to be given an object lesson of sorts.

If the strength of their ideas brings them back again with a better, more clearly stated argument then so much the better for them and so much the better for us all.

We all come here to try and plead our own versions of the 'truth' and the only fair way to compare those ideas is in an adversarial forum. Shakes performs a valid service in 'shaking' the weak postings apart so that we can see the seams and cracks in them.

Sometimes the seams and cracks are simply poor cosmetics on an otherwise valid core of something useful. If the initial shock of the first 'shake down' of their post causes a newbie to come back with a better stated argument then that valid point has a better chance of being heard. There are lots of other people who quickly rush into give positive reinforcement to help the newbie in this process.

In this way, the forum is like a giant refinery... raw ore comes in the front end and, hopefully , purified metal comes out the other end... If you look at the front end of that refinery, you'll see a great big set of giant metal teeth grinding and pulverizing the raw ore up into little teeny-tiny chunks...

Now... just paint a great big clown face on those giant teeth...

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 06:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "No justification for the rudeness..."
IceCat (and everyone else): I have no problem with the board being policed. But we've seen examples of different ways of doing it. When someone started an "early vote" thread, Aya explained the "rules" and urged us to follow them. We did. Clown, by way of contrast, got ugly, personal, and vilified the poor user, who didn't know that Superman starts vote threads. For that matter, I didn't know, and probably a lot of other newbies didn't either. I'm just glad I didn't start a vote thread: "There, but for the grace of God, go I." I can say this: The effectiveness of the policing of this board has been due to Aya and his tact, NOT due to Clown and his venom.

I've just gotten sick and tired of shakestheclown's attitude that he owns the board and therefore anything he says is okay and is not to be examined or challenged. ***His rudeness is NOT okay, no matter what contributions he's made to the board in the past.*** His excuses that he's being the "bad cop" to Aya's "good cop" won't wash and needed to be challenged, and I did so. There is absolutely NO excuse for the language Clown has used in berating some of these newbies. Aya has accomplished SO MUCH MORE with his non-vilifying explanations.

Furthermore to this point, what I really got into him about was his assertion that something was "proven" when it wasn't and isn't so far. If it is proven later, fine, but it's not now. Hey, we all have opinions, and most of us here have posted some kind of spoiler information, for right or for wrong. But most of us do NOT go around saying "This is proved, this is proved because I said so." etc. etc. And it certainly isn't proved just because Clown said so.

03-19-01, 07:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "A Well Stated Case Dawg..."
Certainly a better stated case than that of the individual who began this thread. If your remarks give Shakes pause for thought about the finer points of his approach, so much the better. None of us are perfect and all of us learn as we go along. The 'police' also need to be policed. Perhaps your remarks may lead to Shakes 'refining' his policing methods a little... maybe a little less of the 'Rodney King Approach' on the newbies wouldn't be a bad thing.

...but make no mistake... I support the idea of keeping the board free of crap!

missalex 35 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-19-01, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail missalex Click to send private message to missalex Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: A Well Stated Case Dawg..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-01 AT 08:57 AM (EST)

I'm new, and to tell you the truth, I'm afraid of posting very much because I think I'll be flamed. I think shakes may be a bit harsh to the new people who don't know very much about these boards (e.g. me). There does have to be a "commander," but he/she doesn't have to be so high above everyone else, and therefore pissing off people. It's stupid that everything needs to be done to shakes's perfection otherwise you get flamed. I like this board crap-free (although I'm probably adding crap right now), but if you see something is crap, just don't read anymore. I hate it when people complain that people are wasting their time, as no one *forced* them to see it. They could stop any time they want.

I think shakes is a good moderator, but he really needs to cut down on the flaming and the feelings that he is so high above everyone and everything he says is correct.

03-19-01, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: A Well Stated Case Dawg..."
missalex, you go ahead and post if you like. Do prepare to have people disagree with your opinion, but that's okay as long as they confine their disagreement to the content of your opinion and don't hit you personally as the author of that opinion.

Just one point: shakestheclown is NOT the moderator of this board, which is why I have such a problem with his attitude and venom towards others. Survivorblows is the moderator of the board. Unless, of course, they're the same person, which I tend to doubt.

03-19-01, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "shakes"
Dawg, I feel uncomfortable entering this discussion, because you have held me up as a model of tact. But the fact is that I think shakes performs a valuable service on these boards, and one that most of us (including me) are not temperamentally capable of taking on.

When this board was set up, we all adopted a flame-free approach. Our working motto was Colleen's statement, "Play fair. Be nice." And, as long as we were dealing with a relatively small number of posters and posts, it was easy to live up to this motto and help people to fit in.

In this atmosphere, shakes was kind of an anomaly. But the fact was, his "flames" were not personal, because you only got flamed for weak logic or fuzzy thinking. At some point, I think shakes has offended everyone on the board, including me. Well, frankly, at some point I've probably offended almost everyone on the board myself. BUT none of us (including new posters and lurkers) want to read a board cluttered with bogus rumors -- if you did, you'd be over on ss.com ezboard.

As interest in Survivor 2 has grown (and as the message boards at ss.com ultimately collapsed under the volume of new posts coming in daily), we have still managed to keep these boards manageable and usable. New posters (like you, Dawg, and hopefully like you too, missalex) have joined the boards and have added to the variety. The old posters who have left (for example, LoudMouthLee and BadAs (aka Typoman), both of whom I miss) have left because of time constraints at work, not because of dissatisfaction with the way SB runs. Contrast that to the problems at ss.com, which I'm sure most of you are aware of.

Part of that is because of the fact that SurvivorBlows, the Webmaster of this board, has created a great physical space for us to play within. But another part of it is because we know ideas presented on this board will be reviewed critically and weaknesses will be pointed out, with a view toward finding the best fit. shakes is a KEY part of this.

To the extent that new people read the board more carefully before they post for fear of being flamed by shakes ... shakes is performing the most important role on the board. Speaking for myself, I first accessed this board during S1 when there was EXACTLY ONE post on it. But I didn't post that entire first day until I saw what types of comments other people were making, their tolerance for my BS, etc. -- if you look in the archives, you'll see that I first posted on the SECOND day of existence of the board, although I had read everything posted to it before making that first post. Now, for whatever reason, it seems that lots of people think that their first post is going to make a HUGE splash. Perhaps they just haven't bothered to read the board; perhaps they think they know more than we do; perhaps they're just enthusiastic. So they start a new thread and post ... drivel.

Dawg, the reason that ONLY shakes posts real flames on this board is that he has taken on the screening function for this drivel, and all the rest of us appreciate that -- even me. Sometimes his judgment does not match mine. But the fact is, this board has not turned into the ss.com ezboard, and we have picked up fabulous new contributors. The board has also not turned into the OLD ss.com board, where everyone flamed posts by a new person unless they were bulletproof. Here, virtually the only flaming is done by shakes.

I don't know how much of what makes this board special is due to shakes, if any, or to me, if any, or to CJ or you or Kokoro or Krautboy or sleeeve or ItzLisa or IceCat or dangerkitty or Minstrel or samiam or colbysincharge or Superman or VampKira or to anyone else here. What I do know is that each of you have your own ideas and opinions, and I value your right to express them and look forward to reading them. I also value the ability to read them free of clutter.

Truce?

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 08:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: shakes"
You folks weren't going to be happy until I brought Colleen back, were you?

(especially you sick little LizLiz fans)

Re: shake... first, who polices shakes -- I do. When I feel shakes (or anyone else) goes over the line, I send them a nasty little email. Occasionally I'll post a public message. Has shakes received a couple of these -- oh sure, just ask him -- but none in the past several weeks. Actually shakes has been pretty great lately, and without his and AK's help, along with that of our "greeters", and our spoiler folks, and all the other regulars (I don't want to leave anyone out) SurvivorBlows wouldn't be what it is today. I haven't had the time lately to police things as much as I'd like, and I appreciate everyone's efforts -- including those BAD MESSAGE alerts.

Without everyone's efforts, I have no doubt SB would have dissolved either the open mindless mess that is SS ezboards or the closed nasty mess that is SS DCForums, and for that I'm thankful. We have a good site here -- to date we've managed to keep a friendly, open place with open registration -- something that is not very easy (just go ask SS... to date they are 0 for 2)

Should people THINK before they post -- sure! ...should they check to see if the topic is already being discussed -- sure! So should newbies do these things before they post -- certainly, anyone should... and if that makes them nervous, then that's fine too, a little stage fright never killed anyone. Anyone -- IN ANYTHING IN LIFE -- who goes into a situation without educating themselves first risks the chance of shooting their mouth off, looking like a fool, and getting told so to their face.

...if you want to shoot from the hip, then yes, you take a chance of shooting your foot off -- and don't come running to SB when you get hurt.

Frankly, what you are seeing here reminds me of the difference that existed between the USENET newsgroups and the AOL chat boards in the early-mid-90's. ...we have a knowledgeable, friendly community, but we hold people to account. This is not the place for 14 year old "Liz is sooo hot" or "my uncle knows the winner" boys (you have to be at least Supe's age for stuff like that )

Re: shakes' posts... I don't think I've seen any of late that were outright uncalled for, and I think he's also doing a good job keeping the profanity down. Shakes has a bit of a special role on this board -- like a cop of sorts, he's keeping the what we used to call the signal-to-noise ratio high (as AK pointed out, you'll notice that beyond shakes, unless a Tamia Scenario develops, everyone else does very little flaming) ...it's a difficult role, and one that can be quickly misunderstood and make him unpopular in some cases, but it's a required role if we're going to keep this place from going the way of SS

(and yes, don't think I haven't wondered if we've gone and Animal-Farmed on ourselves, but I have thought about it, and I don't think that's anywhere near the case)

Someone brought up the idea of starting an FAQ, and I'm up for that, but frankly I don't have the time to get it going, if others want to start it, maybe that's not a bad idea.

03-19-01, 08:55 PM (EST)
18. "RE: shakes"
Well that certainly makes it official!

Maybe we can get back to the business at hand, now.

Minstrel 422 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-21-01, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Minstrel Click to send private message to Minstrel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: shakes"
I second that motion. On to spoiling!!

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-19-01, 10:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: shakes"
<<Someone brought up the idea of starting an FAQ, and I'm up for that>>

I'm not sure that's such a good idea (I mean, when you go to a site, how likely are you to read an FAQ on how to use it?).... but if we do get one, I really hope whomever creates it makes it as simple as possible....and for those who don't believe that an FAQ can be evil, witness the horror of the PlanetSucks FAQ:

http://www.planetsucks.com/faq.html

Ooooh watch out everyone there's a "crack" in the alliance. Yeah, maybe; If crack was slang for millionaire.

Kimmi! Get back here!

wendyp 2081 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wendyp Click to send private message to wendyp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Message Board"
I am new at posting on the board, but one thing that I remember when I post is that I am posting my opinion or something I read. As on the message board and in real life conversation NOT everyone will agree with what you say. Just do not take it personally. I have been corrected by things I have said, as has the new and old posters and not only by Shakes.

If you are that upset and sensitive to someone disagreeing with your post or proving it wrong, then I suggest you go back to your other boards. If you want great arguements both ways on various topics and people that DO NOT post intential wrong info you should stay here.

Riordan 634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-19-01, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Riordan Click to send private message to Riordan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Ditto"
I completely agree. Not meaning to take sides, but the easiest remedy IMHO is for us "newbies" to read up on past posts. Otherwise, it seems as if we are participating in a conversation in which we have no idea of the subject.

I've been reading posts here for months and find most extremely humorous. Shakes especially! If s/he offends, move on to the next topic.

p.s. SurvivorDawg - Sic 'em

former Athens native

03-19-01, 03:32 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Ditto"
>p.s. SurvivorDawg - Sic 'em
>former Athens native

Hee hee. Welcome to the board, Riordan! What do you think? Should we be rooting for that Tennessee Volunteer Tina? SEC all the way with her and Kentucky Joe?

Riordan 634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-19-01, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Riordan Click to send private message to Riordan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ditto"
Thanks for the welcome SD. I wouldn't object to a Southern Belle winning a million. Didn't care much for her backstabbing. I'm grateful that, while she is obviously southern, she isn't coming across quite as poorly as many the media chooses to represent us. Where do they find these people?

I was rooting for Varner. If I had to look at someone every 15 minutes for the next several months, I would have preferred him. I could care less what his sexual preferences are. But, alas, not to be.

And as much as I support the SEC winning ANYTHING, KJ just won't make it I'm afraid. Good luck to him, though.

Ri

MistyG 45 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MistyG Click to send private message to MistyG Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Watch Out!!!"
Don't let the door smack you in the butt on your way out

03-19-01, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail missalex Click to send private message to missalex Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Watch Out!!!"
I definitely think correcting and/or disagreeing someone is fine. It's just the way you say - or type - it. There is a difference between getting down someone's back by getting nasty about it and telling someone nicely to settle down.

I thought shakes was the moderator - sorry - sure seemed that way.

Cocosette 2 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cocosette Click to send private message to Cocosette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Watch Out!!!"
I don't think anyone should feel self concious about posting their opinions. If someone like Shakes feels it is his job to make them look stupid and that's his purpose in life, let him be. Some people need to hide behind a computer to complete their life's dream of feeling superior. Let the guy dream and just smile everytime you read his postings, remember it keeps him off the street and away from innocent people.

wildcamper 38 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wildcamper Click to send private message to wildcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Message Board"
I was an SS refugee and found this a safe home
I was Flammed repeatedly but what do we care???
I got past it. im not in pre-school i dont care
what others think. my points are valid
(many of you have seen this)
and i once had a double post
oh well so sue me
im not scared of u guys
why is nebody else???
neway thats my 2 cents

thinking makes a world of difference

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-19-01, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. ""Behind the Music" with Shakes the Clown"
Alright, since this entire thread is about me I should probably chime in with something....first, I want to thank everybody who came to my defense..as an attorney I know that it always looks better and more credible when someone is defending you and presenting your case for you rather than doing it on your own..so it was nice to sit back and watch you guys do a great job of it.

Now, I thought I would explain a little bit on my philosophy of who gets flamed and what constitutes flamable material...you had to figure a message board psychopath such as myself would actually have a philosophy on the subject

As far as the matter of Newbies, here goes.....

As has been stated several times on this thread, Newbies get flamed for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is the sin of posting a thread about a topic that has already been discussed in great length. Now, we all know that the danger of this is that we end up having multiple threads dedicated to the same subject which has two effects...first, it pushes other important threads off to the rarely seen second page where they are easily forgotten and thus we lose valuable ideas mid-stream. Second, by spreading out a subject onto more than one thread we end up with several disjointed arguments that are tough to follow and rarely get completed.

So, I think we will all agree that multiple threads is a big problem.

Now, there are two ways a Newbie will post in one of these situations, here is the worse of the two:

Title: HUGE SPOILER!!! CHECK THIS OUT

Text: Hi, this is my first post but I've been lurking for quite some time. Check out this huge spoiler about a glitch in the cbs.website I don't know if this means that X and Y are in the final two, but I sure hope not cause I really love V and want her to win.

Any thoughts???

Now, just for a sceond let's examine what this Newbie's motivation is.......they've been lurking for months, so what is so great about this topic that they feel teh need to rush in an make a <HUGE SPOILER> post..are they that concerned about the SB community and their ability to spoil Survivor II that they felt the need to deliver the good news right away for the good of the board. I don't think so. This type of Newbie post is for one reason and one reason only, so the Newbie can make a "big splash" on the board and be hailed by all as a Great spoiler who found an amazing bit of evidence and saved the day for all...these Newbies could care less about spoiling, all they want is credit for finding something.....they never offer up any analysis on existing evidence, no no no, that would actually take time effort and some intelligence.

Even if they weren't flamed, the only times they would ever post would be when they could deliver the big news, without concern for the fact taht we already have heaerd the news from many sources before they showed up.

Contrast that with several of the other Newbies who have showed up recently, such as Ice Cat, Pepe, Krautboy and a handfull of others...these people made their early posts under exisxting threads and started from day one with analysis...they never felt the need to make a hige splash on the board, and through a short string of consistent, well thogh out posts, they have already been accepted along the same lines as any of the veterans...its not about the # of posts you have, its about the amount of thought you put into your posts...it doesn't take many posts to see who's got it, and who doesn't.

So, I don't mind flaming this type of Newbie at all cause for one, they could care less about what we do here and two, in the long run they have nothing to offer to this board.

That's one of the great things about this board, we are all interested in the same thing, and that is runing this god-awful show.....no one here cares about being the person who found the big spoiler...don't get me wrong, we all try to give credit where credit is due, but in the big picture, that "Credit" is not what motivates us...and that is the BIG distinction b/w legitimate posters and posers.

Those types of Newbies are subect to the hottest of flames,and rightly so b/c tghey do the most damage.

The second type of Newbie post in this grouping is the post where a Newbie will post a theory that is already being discussed in a similar thread. This Neewbie is not as bad as the first kind b/c he is not solely here to provide the big spoiler, but he is guilty of vanity in that he tried to make a big splash with his "original" theory...even though we already know the theory backwards and forwards.

A stern lecture is in order regarding the need to read through threads before posting identitcal theories and the danger of multiple threads. Hopefully this will be enough to get the Newbie to give up his vain pursuit and realize that if you have something intelligent and interesting to say, you will get noticed no matter where you post it.

The last group of Newbies is by far the least dangerous:

This Newbie posts theories or gives opinions w/o taking the time to back up those opinion with a logical reason. This flame is not as hot, but a small amount of Newbie hazing usually results in the person coming back with supportive evidence to back up their claims, or they go running to the hills which is perfectly fine b/c who needs someone who can't take even a small amount of criticism.

Now, I know that a lot of this friction started up in the wake of my run-ins last week with Skierdude. the firefights started after a rather harsh flame on Skierdude, but what people need to realize is that the flame in question came after SD had been flamed on 2 separate occasions already, this was in a sense his 3rd strike...taken on its own, his offense did not warrant the level of my venom, but considering how many times he had already been scolded w/o result, the heat needed to be turned up a notch or two. And, I might add, SD has been a model citizen since and has even provided one or two posts that weren't completely useless.

That's all I'm gonna say on the subject, now and forever.

03-19-01, 10:30 PM (EST)
21. "No way"
>you
>had to figure a message
>board psychopath such as myself
>would actually have a philosophy
>on the subject

I don't have anything to add to this well-reasoned post except that there are a number of people on this board whose opinions I particularly respect, and shakes is among them. Psychopaths are not capable of making such logical arguments when putting spoilers together ...

...although they might be Chisox fans. GO TRIBE!

03-19-01, 10:34 PM (EST)
22. "RE: "Behind the Music" with Shakes the Clown"
I definitely understand where you are coming from. I was just saying that instead of having "philosophy" of flaming...perhaps you should have a "philosophy of corrections." Instead of going the whole nine yards and flaming someone, you could just say "please don't do it again." I am pretty sure that would work in most cases, instead of flaming someone...and that person comes to his/her defense...and then you have to explain everything again. That's it.

03-19-01, 10:39 PM (EST)
23. "My turn."
First, I take issue with these comments of Clown's almost to the point of saying he's lying:

>Now, I know that a lot
>of this friction started up
>in the wake of my
>run-ins last week with Skierdude.
> the firefights started after
>a rather harsh flame on
>Skierdude, but what people need
>to realize is that the
>flame in question came after
>SD had been flamed on
>2 separate occasions already, this
>was in a sense his
>3rd strike...taken on its own,
>his offense did not warrant
>the level of my venom,
>but considering how many times
>he had already been scolded
>w/o result, the heat needed
>to be turned up a
>notch or two. And,
>I might add, SD has
>been a model citizen since
>and has even provided one
>or two posts that weren't
>completely useless.

First, others might have flamed me, but my comments to Clown came after he flamed OTHERS, not me. I took up for them, and I am glad I did. The only personal flame towards me I can remember prior to all this was from Survivorblows himself (none from clown, despite his statement above), and I replied (in so many words) that he didn't have to get personal.
Second, if Clown wishes to delude himself that HIS flaming has caused me to post differently, then let him go ahead and delude himself. I'm here to say that nothing HE has done has made me a "model citizen" etc. etc.

>That's all I'm gonna say on
>the subject, now and forever.

You've said this before on two separate occasions, Clown. You've lied both times; you're still responding. Third strike to come? Time will tell.

Enough of that: Okay, this is what I really hit the "Reply" button to say. I also address Aya's and Survivorblows' earlier messages in stating this:

I still maintain that there is NO excuse for the extremely vile, venomous, personal, and derogatory language that Shakestheclown used towards several people that were new and didn't yet know the "rules." I maintain that NO MATTER WHAT his previous contributions have been, it DOES NOT JUSTIFY the language he used. I have stated and still maintain that AYA, NOT CLOWN, achieved far greater results with far more tactful messages. I maintain that the language Clown has used is not needed nor has ever been needed. I maintain that Clown owes several people on this board an apology for the language he used, but obviously none has been nor apparently will be forthcoming. I maintain that Clown's excuse of being a "bad cop" vis-a-vis Aya's "good cop" role is just that, an excuse, and still does not justify the language Clown has used. I maintain that Clown's "role" as a policeman of this board is not only not made clear to anyone, but that few people are going to accept a cop who beats people as a means of enforcing the law. See Rodney King. I maintain that Survivorblows is the moderator, and therefore the "cop" on this board. I maintain that Clown has come across to me and to others as acting as if HE (not Survivorblows) owns this board and can lord it over the rest of us, which is absolutely not true.

I just don't accept these rationales and "explanations" trying to excuse Clown's conduct and language, and it creates a very bad impression of this board that others, including the moderator, would try to defend and excuse such conduct. This is all I have to say about it.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-19-01, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: My turn."
<<Second, if Clown wishes to delude himself that HIS flaming has caused me to post differently, then let him go ahead and delude himself. I'm here to say that nothing HE has done has made me a "model citizen" etc. etc.>>

No it hasn't, but it has made it so that most of your recent posts are flames or long "Why I hate Shakes" essays. If you have that much of a problem with Shakes ignore him, 'cause he's not going anywhere. That also applies to the clown.

Please, nobody else post here if all you're going to say is "oh yeah I agree Dawg" or "Shakes is the best dewd!" This thread is just dragging now and it seems to be going right back where it started....Maybe we need a therapy board? ^-^

Ooooh watch out everyone there's a "crack" in the alliance. Yeah, maybe; If crack was slang for millionaire.

Kimmi! Get back here!

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 11:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "misunderstanding"
Survivordawg, you misunderstood my last post....here, take a look:

This is what I said:

>>Now, I know that a lot
>>of this friction started up
>>in the wake of my
>>run-ins last week with Skierdude.
>> the firefights started after
>>a rather harsh flame on
>>Skierdude, but what people need
>>to realize is that the
>>flame in question came after
>>SD had been flamed on
>>2 separate occasions already, this
>>was in a sense his
>>3rd strike...taken on its own,
>>his offense did not warrant
>>the level of my venom,
>>but considering how many times
>>he had already been scolded
>>w/o result, the heat needed
>>to be turned up a
>>notch or two. And,
>>I might add, SD has
>>been a model citizen since
>>and has even provided one
>>or two posts that weren't
>>completely useless.

And here is how you replied:

>
>First, others might have flamed me,
>but my comments to Clown
>came after he flamed OTHERS,
>not me. I took
>up for them, and I
>am glad I did.
>The only personal flame towards
>me I can remember prior
>to all this was from
>Survivorblows himself (none from clown,
>despite his statement above), and
>I replied (in so many
>words) that he didn't have
>to get personal.
>Second, if Clown wishes to delude
>himself that HIS flaming has
>caused me to post differently,
>then let him go ahead
>and delude himself. I'm
>here to say that nothing
>HE has done has made
>me a "model citizen" etc.
>etc.
>

....."SD" as in "SkierDude"..I thought that it was pretty clear from the body of the paragraph that I was refering to Skeirdude when I said that he had become a model citizen....look at that, you're so full of anti-Shakes rage that you can't even see straight.

>>That's all I'm gonna say on
>>the subject, now and forever.
>
>You've said this before on two
>separate occasions, Clown. You've
>lied both times; you're still
>responding. Third strike to
>come? Time will tell.

.....as is now clear from the "misunderstanding" I never was addressing YOU in that post, and the only reason I am now is to clear up a misunderstanding on your part. I'll not address the rest of your assertions, just wanted to clear up a little error in simple reading comprehension.

lather_rinse_repeat 7 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-01, 10:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lather_rinse_repeat Click to send private message to lather_rinse_repeat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "from one of the "third types of newbies""
I think some people are taking themselves just a *little bit* too seriously here. Or else I didn't realize that this was a forum for testing the soundness and validity of arguments.

I too am a victim of shakes. Once I posted what I thought was a 'make a prediction' type thread. I did, admittedly without too much thought put into it - but hey, not a lot of thought is put into these shows. Shakes seemed to take particular offense. Turns out that my prediction was way off and I suppose that justifies shakes abuse. But based on the way he/she/it? runs rampant on these boards, I too thought shakes was the moderator. I have been reluctant to post since - not because I can't take criticism, but because I refuse to waste my time dissecting imploding ethical theories as represented by the cameramans decision to keep filming instead of helping the burning man or starting tomes on the voting psychology of kucha, etc. etc.

Hell, I was just trying to have a little fun.

03-19-01, 11:26 PM (EST)
26. "Nothing wrong with fun..."
BUT it's not a spoiler board item; it's a fanatics or basher board item. If you LIKE the show, it's probably a fanatics board item; if you don't, it's definitely a basher board item...

Let's be honest here. There is INTENDED to be a different mindset between the boards. Spoilers are serious! The people who post here REALLY want to figure the show out and then throw it back in MB's face. Heck, I think I have -- but I'm not so confident that I want to pull a CAPSLOCK yet (for those new posters out there, CAPSLOCK was a college student named Corrie Sloot (really!) from (I think) Guelph, ON who came up with the Gervase-X theory in Survivor 1 ... that swept North America ... but proved to be wrong).

Fanatics love the show or some of the characters. Bashers want to ridicule the show or some of the characters. It is possible to have fun on either board ... in fact, it's required! Some of our better posters hang out on those boards exclusively and don't come over here except in emergencies, because (like you, l_r_r) they would rather just have fun than have to be serious about this show. Hope this advise helps.

lather_rinse_repeat 7 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-01, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lather_rinse_repeat Click to send private message to lather_rinse_repeat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "actually...."
my run in occured on the Temptation Island board, no such structure existed there - but your point is well taken.

Dreamingofcolleen 73 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-20-01, 02:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dreamingofcolleen Click to send private message to Dreamingofcolleen Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "In the great words of S1's Colleen..."
Play nice, be fair. And this message is a good reminder to us all.

Dalton 1271 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-20-01, 06:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dalton Click to send private message to Dalton Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Live and Learn OR Don't Listen and Leave......."
LAST EDITED ON 03-20-01 AT 06:36 AM (EST)

Live, Learn and Stay OR Don't Listen and Leave.

We have (almost) all been flamed by Shakes The Clown at some
point here on Spoilers or on one of the other forums which ALL TOGETHER make up the Wonderland that SurvivorBlows has created
with the help of people like AK and Shakes.

That is beside the point completely. The point is all of
us oldtimers read your post, read Shake's flame....then we
sit back and wait to see how you "react", "cope", "deal" with
the way things ARE here.

If you get over it, get around it and/or just go with it....
you will be fine here on Spoilers and Welcomed on other
Forums like Bashers. ICECAT is a wonderful example in
this thread of a newbie who understands "go with it".

I sincerely urge the other newbies who have posted in this
thread (and future newbies who may read this) to wake up to the fact that:

....after AyaK comes in and makes one of his amazingly patient explanations about the way things ARE--Dawg didn't get it--and
AD still had to repeat it 3 times over.

....then the da MAN, SurvivorBlows.com WEBMASTER comes in an
says what's what; because he OWNS these Boards and any of
us can wake up tomorrow morning and find our Account has
been Cancelled!! WebMaster runs all the forums--his word
alone is the RULE. Best thee read and comply with the
WebMaster or you will disappear down the rabbit hole of
other unworthy souls that have come before and are now
long since forgotten.

You are pretty much left with a choice to Live and Learn
or Don't Listen and Leave. Pick you catagory; the choice
is entirely yours. Go find another board or fit in here.

The following is only for SurvivinDawg ---- You started your
"Shakes Bashing" in another thread a day or so ago. Today
you dragged it over into this new thread and repeated it
all a second time I guess expecting some support from other
newbies.
Dawg you refused to listen to AK and if that wasn't bad enough
you committed the unpardonable sin of refusing to listen to
the WebMaster. You are SO hell bent on bashing Shakes that
you are ignoring plain old common sense.

Dawg, I say this with no joy, you have unwittingly proved a
great example for other newbies to NOT FOLLOW. After being
given more chances than a cat has lives....you choose to NOT Listen; in fact you continued to sink further in the depths
of Shakes Bashing.

Make no mistake...Bashing the Clown....is not an activity that
will be tolerated by many of the people who love SurvivorBlows and are pretty damn proud of our resident Clown (THE BEST Summary Writer on the internet).

By making it clear today that you have no intention of
listening to ANYONE; you proved that all you're really after
is wanting to continue your lame temper tantrums against Shakes! You have crossed the line. The best thing is just Leave now under your own steam.

Fair warning Dawg -- maybe, just maybe, you can hang on here
but you have certainly lost the respect of many. An apology
from you would, at this point, be only a first step.

Final warning Dawg -- if you can't control your nasty attitude
and rotten comments about Shakes and the way this Board operates
......do us all a favor; leave now!!!

Dalton

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-20-01, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Live and Learn OR Don't Listen and Leave......."
I probably can't add anything to what Dalton and other astute colleagues have already said, but after wading through this morass, I can't help myself.

Normally wouldn't have bothered with a thread that started out as this one did, but what the hay--it's a slow week, between St. Paddy's and rerunsville. The original post struck me as thoroughly pointless tamia/heinz57/ferrealguy crap--and I can't believe no one has bothered to point out the mental deficiency of this nitwit. . . "flammers," indeed?! The ballsy, confrontational mouthiness alone should have earned the wrath of the best of our FLAMERS (catch the difference, noxious1?)! You people are so much more patient with this type than I would be. . .

The second thing that took me aback was the concept that shakes is apt to flame anyone and everyone. Either that is inaccurate, or I've just been a very good girl. . . Or perhaps I had the common sense to lurk here long enough to scope out the general feel for the place before I dove in? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the differences between the boards--and the fact that "Spoilers" is for the hard-core deductive types. I personally hardly ever post here--but I do take advantage of all the hard work (or compulsive sickness ) from the likes of CJ, AK, shakes, et al; helps to make a halfway intelligent vote, if nothing else. I like to have a clue as to what to look for in each week's episode, but I have too much other junk in my life to spend that kind of time researching--and why duplicate the effort?

For newbies wanting to test the waters, why not choose the OT board, where the standards are rather lax and people can really cut loose? Or join in a thread on the Bashers board? Or if you really LOVE this fodder (God help you), go to Fanatics.

Many of the laments I've read here from insulted newbies make a point of relating how they've actually lurked for a while (even a GREAT while)--which, if true, would've saved them a lot of grief. If you'd made any effort to digest while lurking, you would have "gotten" it. An FAQ might be a fine idea, but these are the same types who wouldn't "get" that, either!

Sorry if this place is run too logically for some of you, but for the rest of us, it's a haven from whatever other slipshod outifts are out there catering to any high school dropout looking for attention. Every site does NOT have to cater to the lowest common denominator! Some of us have a huge appreciation for the maturity and intellectual superiority displayed by many people here AND the fact that it's not an exclusive club--anyone with a willingness to play nice is welcome to join in, provided they observe some simple conventions. (Though I suppose it doesn't fall neatly under the heading of "niceness," there is an overall sense of anarchy here, and it does help if you don't have a thin skin. . . The wit is often biting!)

Most of all, I'm irritated to find this kind of topic in the Spoilers board, and I'm hoping it won't be long before the thread will fall out of sight. Since everyone seems to have gotten a load off their chests, is it possible to ignore it so that it WILL disappear (fer cryin' out loud!)? I am proof of how hard it is to ignore an asshole, but that's the best way to discourage them.

Everything you know IS wrong!
GT

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-01, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ItzLisa Click to send private message to ItzLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Message Board"
You know, it's not as if Shakes goes around flaming people left and right. He IS nice to plenty of people on this board. It's just that if someone steps out of line or says something TOTALLY inane (kind of like YOUR post, come to think of it!), then they get flamed. He doesn't lurk around looking for an excuse. Normally, AK or Superman tries to reasonably deal with the poster in question. But if that doesn't work out - that's when a poster gets flamed by Shakes. You may call this the "Good Cop/Bad Cop" method - fine... point is, it works. This place is not like OTHER BOARDS where you get flamed just for saying "Hi, I'm new here..." The people here are generally friendly and considerate, Shakes included. The flames come only when deserved, and many times, after the second time around when AK and Superman weren't successful.

Try posting elsewhere. You'll be missed about as much as a toothache.

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about???

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-01, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Message Board"
LAST EDITED ON 03-20-01 AT 11:49 AM (EST)

Bring us your torch; the tribe has spoken.

MadforMadDog 48 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-01, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MadforMadDog Click to send private message to MadforMadDog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Message Board"
Is this a spoiler? I must have missed the relevance of this post towards trying to figure out survivior.

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-01, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "Message Board - The End"
Very good, Mad Dog. I've been flamed, but who cares... learn and move on. I think most people have had their say, so, in the words of Shakes, like 'em or hate 'em, let the thread DIE. Time for some spoiler talk.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •