The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The difference between men and women"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Average Joe Forum (Protected)
Original message

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-22-03, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The difference between men and women"
Interesting comment from the producer as to why there won't be an Average Jane show: "Looks are fourth and fifth down the list (for women)." "Sense of humor and having a job and being intelligent comes way above that. The men on the other hand . . . you ask them what they're looking for in a woman, nine out of 10 times, looks is the first thing. Men are more `lookist,' if you will."

Bullroar. Just take a look at this one and how her eyes brightened when the (relatively) good looking guys walked in. And think back to high school. Who got laid more often, the class clown or the jock? Do famous comedians have beautiful women hanging off their arms? Did Albert Einstein have groupies?

Men aren't more 'lookist', they're just more honest.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The difference between boys and wom... CyberCooties 11-22-03 1
   RE: The difference between boys and... ladro 11-23-03 2
 RE: The difference between men and ... Ra_8secs 11-24-03 3
   RE: The difference between men and ... JustMe2001M 11-24-03 4
       RE: The difference between men and ... Fraz 11-24-03 5
           RE: The difference between men and ... bell83 11-24-03 6
           RE: The difference between men and ... Tiger Lily 11-25-03 7
               Why blame "them"? RollDdice 12-02-03 20
                   RE: Why blame "them"? JustMe2001M 12-10-03 22
                       RE: Why blame "them"? RollDdice 12-10-03 24
                           RE: Why blame "them"? JustMe2001M 12-10-03 25
                               RE: Why blame "them"? RollDdice 12-10-03 26
                                   RE: Why blame "them"? JustMe2001M 12-10-03 27
                                       RE: Why blame "them"? RollDdice 12-12-03 29
                   Hey, RollD is on a Roll CyberCooties 12-12-03 31
                       The Age of the Old Folks... RollDdice 12-16-03 35
                           RE: The Age of the Old Bloakes... CyberCooties 12-16-03 36
 RE: The difference between men and ... ValleyGirl 11-25-03 8
   RE: The difference between men and ... escapedude 11-25-03 9
       RE: The difference between producer... CyberCooties 11-28-03 12
 RE: The difference between men and ... oncor1 11-25-03 10
   RE: The difference between men and ... bell83 11-25-03 11
       RE: The difference between men and ... CyberCooties 11-29-03 13
           RE: The difference between men and ... bell83 11-29-03 14
               RE: The difference between men and ... CyberCooties 11-30-03 15
                   RE: The difference between men and ... bell83 12-01-03 16
       RE: The difference between men and ... ego 12-02-03 17
           RE: The difference between men and ... heracane 12-02-03 18
 RE: The difference between men and ... ValleyGirl 12-02-03 19
 RE: The difference between men and ... ladro 12-10-03 21
   RE: The difference between men and ... RollDdice 12-10-03 23
       RE: The difference between men and ... escapedude 12-12-03 28
           RE: The difference between men and ... RollDdice 12-12-03 30
               RE: The difference between men and ... ego 12-12-03 32
                   RE: The difference between men and ... JustMe2001M 12-12-03 33
 RE: The difference between men and ... mandi827 12-16-03 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CyberCooties 162 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-22-03, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CyberCooties Click to send private message to CyberCooties Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The difference between boys and women"
Shows you how stupid the producer is. Assuming he's right (not) an Average Jane show would still be interesting to watch. It's just his solitary opinion anyway - he cutting off his own penis to spite his face in trying to summarize a whole demongraphic like this.

Who got laid more often? Hard to tell, but my guess would be the geeks did. We just didn't have to justify ourselves by broadcasting our sex life in the High School Grapevine.

Remember what they say? The ones who talk only about sex are the ones who really aren't gettin' any.

Ew! CyberCooties!

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-23-03, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The difference between boys and women"
<<Who got laid more often? Hard to tell, but my guess would be the geeks did. We just didn't have to justify ourselves by broadcasting our sex life in the High School Grapevine.>> yea, right.<heavy sarcasm>

There is some truth to what the producer says, but I think his comments were mostly politically correct avoidance of the real reason. The real reason being that viewers would not want to watch an average Jane being turned on then turned down by some hot guy. In the 'Bachelor' format the women who get turned down are by most standards very attractive and desirable, although the viewer may feel sympathy for those women when they get turned down, it is not the same as the pity that would be felt for an average Jane. I think the pity factor would turn off a lot of viewers. And, no I don't think that the pity factor in Average Joe is as big as it would be in Average Jane.

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-03, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ra_8secs Click to send private message to Ra_8secs Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The difference between men and women"
This is an interesting issue you pose, Fast Eddie.

In real life, I think it comes down to intelligence and maturity.

The dumb and ignorant young buck goes for looks and hot sex, not looking to the future. "Will you still love me, will you still need me, when I'm 64."

The wiser guy evaulates the contract of marriage and the prospects of expected children.

Of course, the main question is: Is this short-term fun or long-term.

But this is TV. TV demographics and ratings come into it. Unlike Joe Millionaire, where everyone is pretty or handsome or both, the concept of Average Joe/Jane disdains "eye candy." Not likely to get the ratings, unless they can really work up the interactive dynamics.

-- Ra, as fast as light

JustMe2001M 162 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-03, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustMe2001M Click to send private message to JustMe2001M Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The difference between men and women"
So in the case of these Average Joe participants, Joe Millionaire, Bachelor...etc....it's revised to "Will you still love me, will you still need me, if my IQ is 64"?

Fraz 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-24-03, 11:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fraz Click to send private message to Fraz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I don't think men and women are all that different in how they view each other. As Melana showed, women like eye candy, just like guys do. And while we all want someone we find attractive, the importance of "perfect beauty" diminishes with conversation.

I've heard guys say that they wish the gorgeous woman had just kept her mouth shut! I think that a cute guy looks less attractive when it's clear he is stupid.

Do I think an Average Jane show would succeed? Probably not. Why are older actors like Harrison Ford still getting heartthrob roles, but older actresses get Grandma roles?

I hope I'm coherent.

bell83 134 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-03, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bell83 Click to send private message to bell83 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The difference between men and women"
the "average jane" show would only work 1 way. the producers would have to find, 1st of all an INTELLIGENT good looking guy. then the average janes would have to actually be average looking (not hideous) and very intelligent and charming. also, the "model-types" would have to be clearly either idiots or sluts. i think it actually could work as long as there would be no female equivalents of poor little Dennis!!

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

11-25-03, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Why are older actors like Harrison Ford still getting heartthrob roles, but older actresses get Grandma roles?

This is a very good point. But I've always heard people say (and I don't necessarily agree, but it seems to be a popular opinion) that men age better- grow more distinguished- while women grow more matronly. And that might be the reason.

The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

RollDdice 5949 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-02-03, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Why blame "them"?"
In this arguement, people always blame "them"; producers, networks, casting directors, film studios or ...my favorite... society for older men being seen as sex symbols while older women aren't.

The truth is we as an audience decide who is bankable and who isn't. Every woman who finds Sean Connery or Harrison Ford sexy and a comparably aged woman too old or uninteresting keeps the practice alive. Studios get their information from surveys, test screenings, and of course, the box office.

Now you can indignantly say, "Nobody asked me!" while you flip through your US, People or TeenBeat magazines while watching Dawson's Creek, Paradise Hotel and Average Joe tapes, but you're just proving the point.

If there were frenzied and long-termed sales of Betty White, Bea Arthur and Angela Landsbury movies, then you might see a change. But be careful what you wish for!

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Will Age Badly

12-10-03, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustMe2001M Click to send private message to JustMe2001M Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Bea Arthur..........whew, don't get me started.....

12-10-03, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RollDdice Click to send private message to RollDdice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
Maybe there's a Bea Arthur support group you can attend so you don't lose your Golden Girls Anonymous 1 year chip.

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Loves Betty White

12-10-03, 02:29 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
That was a chip? Yuck....I thought it was just old.

12-10-03, 05:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
You think the chip is old, you should see Bea Arthur's guacamole!

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Wants Lil

12-10-03, 05:37 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
Heard she got that removed.

12-12-03, 06:53 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Why blame "them"?"
She had a "guac-ectomy"? I hadn't heard. She should look less green now.

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Will Never Sink His Teeth Into Victory

12-12-03, 09:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CyberCooties Click to send private message to CyberCooties Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "Hey, RollD is on a Roll"
Can you say meeeeoooww!

Ew! CyberCooties!

12-16-03, 01:48 PM (EST)
35. "The Age of the Old Folks..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

People can stop moaning about no roles for older women now.

1. Something's Gotta Give stars Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton (60's and 50's respectfully). Number 1 at the box office.
2. Cate Blanchett is no youngster in Missing.
3. upcoming Calendar Girls features older "sexy" ladies who raise money by posing nude *gasp* for a calendar.

Hope nobody gets trampled rushing for those movie tickets.

My Reality Raffle Ticket!

12-16-03, 10:09 PM (EST)
36. "RE: The Age of the Old Bloakes..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 10:09 PM (EST)

Moaning? Moaning! Oooo, m o a n i n g....

Nice sig pic, all by yourself at those post menopausal movies?

Ew! Post Men O'pausal Satire!

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-25-03, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I think we are more similar than we'd like to admit.
I think both girls and guys like to look, some are better at it than others and don't get caught, and/or don't admit to it for fear of being labelled. A sense of humour is wonderful, so is a great mind, but unfortunately to carry a 10-12 week reality tv show you also gotta have looks.

Valley Girl
"I'll never kiss and tell....."

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-25-03, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I dont think the average jane concept would work..There is too much of a double standard like this in Hollywood for this to fly..Generally speaking men are most into looks as opposed to women but i do believe the producer here is not giving the real reason..

11-28-03, 07:12 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The difference between producers and lab rats"
The producer is an idiot. Have you seen some super models without their make-up on, they can be pretty nondescript. I'd love for them to find someone like that who is plain jane throughout most of the show, then glammed up for the last episode.

Hold me hostage,
and make me talk dirty!
Kiss the screen....
and release!

oncor1 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-25-03, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oncor1 Click to send private message to oncor1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Couldn't agree more. What women say has to be interpreted into the "King's" english. Women aren't into looks as long as the guy is at least a 7. Anyone below that is beneath notice, or at least consideration. Guys below 7 are viewed as losers, not as eligible men. Once you understand that, then it makes more sense when women say they are not into looks (among men they consider eligible). Yeah, I'm not into looks either, if I'm allowed to define eligible women as those candidates under serious consideration by Playboy.

Why not a Average Jane show......maybe because the producers know that guys wouldn't watch. Okay, there are not many guys watching the current show....but if Melena were average looking, that audience would drop off the face...... The reason is simple....it's a dating show, not an action show. Guys won't watch that stuff unless there is someone cute on board. The TV networks all realize this. If they want a women only audience, it's easy to do. Women love to watch this stuff because it's about relationships. They don't mind comparing and complaining about the participants. Guys aren't that interested in this stuff, so another hook is needed. That's the best part of "The Bachelor". The show is stupid, but the women are attractive. "The Bachelorette" isn't as good because there is only one woman and if you don't like her.....

11-25-03, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bell83 Click to send private message to bell83 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I agree that there have to be attractive women to pull the show. i am a female, i'm not gay, or bisexual but i'd much rather be watching a group of attractive girls like on the Bachelor. not because i'm turned on by them or anything but i look at them and think things like "oh i wonder what my hair would look done like that" or "i wonder where she got that dress". Besides the cat fights are great to watch. Men aren't so dramatic!!

11-29-03, 07:50 PM (EST)
13. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I think men are dramatic. They just show it differently than women do:

1. The wrestling match on FLOM2.
2. The egg on Marc's head.
3. John's tear ducts (actually just like a woman and that's OK)
4. Joe's confession that size does matter.

Ew! CyberCooties!

11-29-03, 11:21 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Guys just aren't backstabbers as much as women. i'm not trying to say guys don't fight, but cat fights are so much more vicious and entertaining!!

11-30-03, 03:34 AM (EST)
15. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Cat fights more entertaining, true! When guys get into dog fights, it's just butt ugly.

Ew! CyberBooties!

12-01-03, 00:14 AM (EST)
16. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Nice pics, how do you do that???

ego 100 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ego Click to send private message to ego Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The difference between men and women"
if they had an average jane show. and put on 8 girls with great bodies and 'ugly' faces, vs. 8 really gorgeous girls around 200+lbs who do you think the guy would end up with? (granted they didn't bring in some skinny gorgeous girls in the last episodes)

heracane 52 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-02-03, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heracane Click to send private message to heracane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Probably the girl with the butter face.

I am 195 pounds 5'8 and have NO problem with men hitting on me, good looking ones, average ones... etc.. I really don't think 200 pounds automatically means FAT. I am a size 14.. "average " american woman is 5'4 size 14.. I got a good four inches on average

what am i rambling about?

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-02-03, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The difference between men and women"
What's that old saying, "Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone"!
Valley Girl
"Diets work well for people who need them, but honey if you can get a man without one then why bother....."

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-03, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The difference between men and women"
LAST EDITED ON 12-10-03 AT 02:19 PM (EST)

I would like to add to my previous comments. Imagine the backlash if a hot looking guy was in Mel's position and he choose the 'pretty girl' over the average girl with the great personality . He would be getting death threats now.

edited to correct 'treats' to 'threats'. (j&h on my keyboard ave a tendency to stick)

12-10-03, 02:11 PM (EST)
23. "RE: The difference between men and women"
Is a "death treat" like a crap basket?

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Sinks

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-12-03, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: The difference between men and women"
>>>>>>>>I am 195 pounds 5'8 and have NO problem with men hitting on me, good looking ones, average ones... etc.. I really don't think 200 pounds automatically means FAT. I am a size 14.. "average " american woman is 5'4 size 14.. I got a good four inches on average
>>>>>>>>>>
You must live in Alaska..

12-12-03, 07:14 PM (EST)
30. "RE: The difference between men and women"
As someone who watches what he eats and works out let me say respectfully that it is common knowledge that most people in American are "fat", bordering on "obese".

The fact that a size 14 at 5'4" is average does not make it attractive, healthy or acceptable. It just means that if you stop 10 people on the street, the majority of them will be overweight.

The current trend of making obesity acceptable and coming up with PC words to describe an unhealthy situation will only make it worse. ("Rubenesque" means that someone eats too many Ruben triple decker sandwiches. And don't even get me started on "BBW".)

I weigh more than I want to, but a)I'm working on it and b)I'm not lying to myself. MHO

Survivor 7: Jon Drinks and Osten Was Skinny and Weak

ego 100 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-03, 11:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ego Click to send private message to ego Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: The difference between men and women"
what's a bbw?

i think it depends on the woman too with the size 14. i know alot of big boned girls (im not kidding about the bones) that have wider hips and can't fit into anything under a size 12 and they aren't fat.

same goes if you are muscular. i have always had really muscular thighs and my pants fit weird. so i have to go with a larger size and when i sit it looks like i have a penis cuz i have this bunched up material lump. OY THE PAIN!

12-12-03, 11:49 PM (EST)
33. "RE: The difference between men and women"
So that's the secret......

mandi827 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-16-03, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mandi827 Click to send private message to mandi827 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: The difference between men and women"
I agree with you men are more honest, women want to be nice and say things to let guys down but say"its not you, it is me". I am somewhat the average jane. Yes I am pretty and walk in a bar all the boys look at me but the minute some hotty walks in I am done. But lucky enough in my town, those who know me think I am gorgeous because my personality and after knowing my "hottie" girlfriends thinks they are ugly because of their personality. Just like the song "If you wanna be happy the rest of your life, never make apretty women your wife"

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •