The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Persons Unknown."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-07-10, 11:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Persons Unknown."
Interesting.

It's even more interesting because I don't have to wait six seasons for the ending to disappoint me.

So how did the first one get downstairs?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-14-10 1
   RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 06-15-10 2
 RE: Persons Unknown. Loree 06-15-10 3
 RE: Persons Unknown. Glow 06-16-10 4
 RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-21-10 5
 RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 06-22-10 6
   RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-22-10 7
       RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 06-24-10 9
           RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-24-10 11
               RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 06-25-10 14
                   RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-25-10 16
 RE: Persons Unknown. KScott 06-24-10 8
 Escape methods? Estee 06-24-10 10
   RE: Escape methods? michel 06-24-10 12
       RE: Escape methods? Estee 06-25-10 13
           RE: Escape methods? michel 06-25-10 15
 Episode Titles: michel 06-25-10 17
 RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-29-10 18
   RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 06-29-10 19
       RE: Persons Unknown. michel 06-29-10 20
 RE: Persons Unknown. Loree 07-03-10 21
 Nobody gets out alive. Estee 07-06-10 22
   RE: Nobody gets out alive. Tummy 07-06-10 23
       RE: Nobody gets out alive. Estee 07-06-10 24
           RE: Nobody gets out alive. michel 07-06-10 25
               RE: Nobody gets out alive. Estee 07-07-10 26
                   RE: Nobody gets out alive. michel 07-07-10 27
                       RE: Nobody gets out alive. Estee 07-07-10 28
                           RE: Nobody gets out alive. michel 07-07-10 29
 New Episode michel 07-18-10 30
   RE: New Episode Estee 07-18-10 31
       RE: New Episode michel 07-18-10 32
 Getting with the Program. Estee 07-25-10 33
   RE: Getting with the Program. michel 07-25-10 34
       RE: Getting with the Program. Estee 07-25-10 35
           RE: Getting with the Program. michel 07-25-10 36
               RE: Getting with the Program. Estee 07-26-10 37
                   RE: Getting with the Program. michel 07-26-10 38
 Help Wanted michel 08-01-10 39
   RE: Help Wanted Estee 08-01-10 40
       RE: Help Wanted michel 08-01-10 41
 What was That? michel 08-08-10 42
   RE: What was That? Estee 08-09-10 43
       RE: What was That? michel 08-09-10 44
 RE: Persons Unknown. HistoryDetective 08-11-10 45
   RE: Persons Unknown. michel 08-11-10 46
   RE: Persons Unknown. Estee 08-11-10 47
       It gets worse: michel 08-14-10 48
           RE: It gets worse: Estee 08-23-10 51
               RE: It gets worse: michel 08-23-10 52
 Identity michel 08-22-10 49
 Seven Sacrifices michel 08-22-10 50
 A Boatload of Crap michel 08-29-10 53

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

06-14-10, 10:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Persons Unknown."
I'm watching. Not sure but it's an interesting start. "Kill your neighbour and go free". Would you do it? The problem I would have is wondering if the others received the same message but she doesn't seem to worry about it at all.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-15-10, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Persons Unknown."
The characters are having, at best, intermittent attacks of logic. Cutting out the drug packs was the sensible (if most painful possible) move: not comparing notes on the fortunes... well, they're stressed and they're going to do stupid things. (For example, going for an all-out no-hitch sprint right after surgery.) Some of them are going to do very stupid things, possibly on purpose.

There's a couple of major questions in place already, but high on my list is 'What did each fortune really say?' And somewhere above that is 'How did the used car salesman get downstairs before everyone else?'

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-10, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Persons Unknown."
After the first ep I wondered if Moira had an implant too because she never showed her's. But obviously she did too or they would have realized this episode when they were removing each others. And seeing her hiding her hospital bracelet last week we knew she was really a patient. I also wanted to know how the car salesman got out of the hotel before the others. Why doesn't anyone ask him if the elevator worked for him?

They are going to really get sick of Chinese food if they don't get another restaurant opening soon.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-10, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Persons Unknown."
We're watching. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. So far, I spend most of the time wondering where I've seen them all before.

06-21-10, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Persons Unknown."
I just watched the pilot again and what struck me was how the night manager reminded me of Ben: He comes out of nowhere, he acts like he's as much a victim as the hostages, he has that little smile that seems innocent but could denote a very manipulative personality and he got the crap beaten out of him in episode #2. I think the night manager is one of "Them". Could he be their leader?

06-22-10, 06:27 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Persons Unknown."
Okay, credit where it's due: that gas mask twist was the nastiest twist I've seen all summer.

All one day of it.

06-22-10, 07:55 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Persons Unknown."
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-10 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

How often does Janet get knocked unconscious in one day?!!

Speaking of days, any idea on how long they've been at the Hotel? I thought I heard them say they took weeks to dig that tunnel but wasn't sure if it was plural or not.
ETA: Putting that wall inches away from where they planned to start digging vertically was also pretty nasty I thought.

That being said, what gets me is that the hostages know they are being observed yet they keep making their escape plans in front of the cameras and in plain language. Secrecy isn't their forté.

06-24-10, 11:51 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Persons Unknown."
At a guess, they're about to enter their third week -- their third active and awake week, anyway. They would have lost some time prior to entering the hotel: the surgery would have been the work of hours, but the subsequent healing would have taken at least a few days. (What little technology we've seen is in the 'currently possible' category, so figure no cell regeneration -- the tools being used are already in the box.)

A secret escape plan would require finding either somewhere that wasn't covered by the cameras or knocking out a group of them for enough time to create a blackout zone. They have real trouble with the first, and we've seen that there's at least one backup camera for a given interior observation position. Also -- and this is a very big 'also' -- they're likely being observed in real time: I doubt anyone's just checking their footage once a day in advance of the reality show edit. Serious, coordinated attempts to create privacy will draw attention in a hurry. To some degree, they're speaking in public because there's no place which isn't public.

Codes -- well, they'd have to be developed in public. Doubletalk can be analyzed. Joe and Graham know hand signals, but so does anyone who's studied enough military procedure: it's readable.

What the Guests are trying to do isn't just escape: it's 'find an escape which wasn't already planned for'. I doubt they're the first people to stay at Village 3.0: some of these anti-escape responses and measures are logical thought (which would include stopping a dig-out -- Great Escape, anyone?), but a few were probably developed after seeing other people trying to get away. Effectively, they're stuck in a battle-tested program trying to find the last crashworthy loophole in the code -- and, should they locate one, to use it before the whole thing can be rewritten on them.

That last has its own problems. We already know the Sponsors (my name for their captors, drawn purely out of the air) can get people in and out pretty quickly. I wouldn't place bets against shock-and-awe troops being bunkered under the buildings, waiting outside the pain wall -- anywhere they could swarm in and stop things quickly. I also think that's a last resort: mental warfare first, hand-to-hand last. But there's got to be a command center fairly close by -- and the Guests may eventually force it to send a physical response.

Oh, and Janet? As many times as the plot requires.

06-24-10, 06:32 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Persons Unknown."
I was thinking along more simple lines like writing down the plan on a piece of paper and handing it around. Or having 4 of them talk loudly in a circle while 3 stand in the middle and plan by talking softly. Change places and everyone is in on the plan. Something, anything but not broadcast openly what you are about to do which is simply dumb.

Maybe the best way to get out would be to stay quietly in each of their room, not talk at all, become so boring that they are evicted. Then again, we'd evict them first!

06-25-10, 09:56 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Persons Unknown."
The volume trick has two flaws: it can be beaten by current tech -- enough sound enhancement and all has been revealed -- plus the problem with every current plan: you're including the plant. The best you could hope for was to buy a few minutes while the monitor watchers turned up the decibels.

Writing has a better chance to work and it's easier to conceal from the cameras. It just means someone has to think of it first. Of course, we could get non-porous paper which wouldn't absorb ink. Or graphite. Or blood.

06-25-10, 04:16 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Persons Unknown."
The "Plant"... any idea who it is? I think we can rule out Janet, because she is the focus of the show, Joe because he was Janet's target and the gun had real bullets and Charlie because of the revelation or simulation that he killed his wife. I doubt they would portray a Muslim Marine as the plant even if some have noticed major flaws in his uniform. It leaves Tori (too dumb), Bill (too obvious) and Moira (a real possibility). This is a little like finding the mole and wasn't Bill the mole once so maybe obvious isn't bad.

However, I think they are all trapped and the hotel manager is playing the role of Ben for the "Sponsors".

Any ideas on why they are there? Withy Janet's backstory, it could be that they all have someone that wants them out of the way but why the games? I think this is someone's idea of a reality show. They are being filmed for the enjoyment of some rich spectators. They may also be bets placed on what they will do next.

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-24-10, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Persons Unknown."
I like this show, it reminds me of an old twilight zone show where these people woke up went walking around this town and started noticing weird things, like the squirrel in the tree was a toy and no one was around. Then all of the sudden they look up and there is this kid looking at them and it turns out they are his toys and they woke up in this toy town.

Snidget rocks! Friday Night Lights Rules!

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

06-24-10, 12:14 PM (EST)
10. "Escape methods?"
Three which haven't been tried yet, along with why they probably won't work.

Air travel Not realistic. With a lot of work, they might be able to assemble and coat enough fabric for a very small balloon, but they have no helium and rigging a hot-air burner isn't exactly casual work. Hang gliders might be easier if you know what you're doing in the construction, but the buildings aren't that tall and gliding doesn't give you much range at low heights. Still, up and out has to be on someone's mind -- we don't know if the microwave barrier is a wall or a dome. But any air travel they could conceivably put together would be slow -- and very easy to stop.

Microwave shielding I'm surprised Graham hasn't tried this. There's plenty of stuff out there which stops microwaves, some of which might be found in a decently-stocked kitchen. Wrap someone up head-to-toe, and they just might be able to blunder through the barrier. The issue here is that while it's possible, it might just bring them up against the next defense.

Sewers Too classic not to have been stopped during the initial design stage. The town is probably running on a small sealed water recirculation supply with very tiny pipes.

06-24-10, 06:36 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Escape methods?"
Air travel? I think they'd head out west and come back in from the east! Any idea how that happened? Did the driver manage to turn them around or was he fooled? If so, how?
Who was the driver? Charlie, right? I don't see him as the one that is in on it.

06-25-10, 09:51 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Escape methods?"
To keep it within the realm of rough reality, I would have designed the road as a slow, subtle curve -- so gentle that your hands adjust the wheels without your brain really being aware of what's going on. The real exit roads would be concealed by camo barriers and drop-down foliage.

The Sponsors could also disconnect the steering from the wheels: no matter which way you turn, the car goes where the remote wants it to -- but that has to be kept really subtle for a driver not to catch on.

06-25-10, 04:00 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Escape methods?"
I was thinking the road itself was on a large turntable. Or someone turned a donkey wheel and the town just moved!!

06-25-10, 04:25 PM (EST)
17. "Episode Titles:"
These are the titles of the 13 episodes: (Warning: They could be considered spoilers)

1- Pilot
2- The Edge
3- The Way Through
4- Exit One
5- Incoming
6- The Truth
7- Smoke and Steel
8- Saved
9- Static
10- Identify
11- Seven Sacrifices
12- And Then There Was One
13- Shadows in the Cave

Episodes 4 and 5 really suggests that this is all a game and, as someone goes out, one comes in. It also suggests that someone had left just before Janet came in. But then what about the 6 others?

The finale's title is an obvious reference to Plato's allegory so the game must involve perception of reality by the hostages.

06-29-10, 00:06 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Persons Unknown."
The show was moved to 8:00Pm so I missed it. Does anyone have a recap?

06-29-10, 08:14 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Persons Unknown."
This one's workable.

http://www.tv.com/persons-unknown/exit-one/episode/1345374/recap.html

06-29-10, 11:56 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Persons Unknown."
Thank you. Seems like it was a weird episode but it tells us that Joe is the one in on it. I find it illogical that he would agree to be the bait for Janet to go free.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

07-03-10, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Persons Unknown."
"NBC’s ratings loser Person’s Unknown will air on Monday for the last time on July 5, and will move to the Siberia of Saturday at 8pm beginning on July 17."

07-06-10, 08:21 AM (EST)
22. "Nobody gets out alive."
I think it's now safe to say that if anyone does manage to escape, they're going to be hunted down and killed. No witnesses, no personal accounts, no rumors or tales. Just a bunch of corpses dropped off around the world.

Why kill Tori? No, try it this way -- why bring Tori in at all? A strike against her father? Was the point to push her until she broke, then punish her for it? What's the point of any so-called Protocol? What was Janet supposed to do within the twenty minutes they had before dying which would have triggered a release? Or was that test meant for Joe?

The word 'recruitment' keeps hovering at the outside edges of sight: maybe the place is meant to push the inhabitants to the point where they're capable of joining this group. Stockholm Syndrome with extra teeth. But would you want some of these people working for you? Not the baboon...

BTW, I checked: there is a DVD set on the horizon. Let's hope it stays on Amazon's preorder list -- given the way NBC's kicking this around, that might be the only way we ever get our supposed answers.

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-06-10, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
I was disappointed that they killed Tori, not that I really liked Tori but it seemed pointless and almost like they've wasted my time with her storyline.

I do like the addition of Erika. I'd probably like anyone that kicks Neaderthal's butt.

07-06-10, 11:41 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
I'll feel more reassured about Erika when I know what she was executed for. Sentenced to death doesn't mean guilty, but it at least indicates an inability to get a really expensive lawyer.

Tori... I'm going to need a serious explanation as to why we weren't treated to a month-long red herring. Lost syndrome does not make the sufferer fond of relapses.

07-06-10, 10:26 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
But is Tori dead? I'm not taking anything we are shown at face value. I believe that the hostages aren't the only ones being tested. Renbe and Joe must also be on that list.

I'm starting to think that everything the hostages see and do is only happening in their minds. They are somehow interconnected and what we, Tom and Joe see on the monitors are their thoughts. I mean, there's been too many weapons available for no one to have died or even been seriously injured yet. I know Hotel manager guy would have had his legs busted at least if someone as determined to get out of there as Sayid had been there! Also Mr "Prease Eat" would have seen some of his fingers chopped off until he "Prease, Prease" talked.

07-07-10, 06:58 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
LAST EDITED ON 07-07-10 AT 07:01 AM (EST)

I'm still going with 'current tech only', which means the Sponsors would need someone who really resembled Tori to provide the corpse -- and that still odds-om means a murder. ('I'm not really dead' tends to fall apart under autopsy examination.) The hotel manager did seem to heal quickly, though -- but that could be makeup, identical twin, or a very comprehensive health care plan.

But if it's science as we know it, mind control beyond the most basic techniques is out -- and what's happening is more towards conditioning than hallucination.

No one being all that hurt yet? Behold the power of the script!

(With standard irony: ) Watch it, round eyes.

07-07-10, 06:03 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
I think that force field is proof that we aren't dealing with "current tech only". Another reason why I say they are only seeing and doing things in their minds was the scene in the abandoned cabin where Janet told Joe they were still in the Northern Hemisphere because she recognized the stars. Why did we really need to hear that? Lying on the ground of a planetarium would also make you see the Northern sky. The surface of a pod-like structure could also have projections of the night sky.

On another note, the bartender that was asked to turn up the sound of the TV set by Renbe spoke with the same Irish accent that we heard over the phone telling the journalist to drop the story. If it was the same guy then "They" are everywhere! And why did Renbe change his name after abandoning Janet? Did he know that "They" would be after him and hurt his family? Is that why he left them?

You didn't like the "Mr Prease Eat" nickname? Tom was playing such a caricature I didn't mean any disrespect in nicknaming him that way.

07-07-10, 07:22 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
The 'force field' is a reactive burst of microwave radiation triggered by motion sensors. That's not outside what we're currently capable of. (There is some scary stuff out there -- check out a History Channel Future Weapons special. And that's just what they're willing to tell us about.) As for a dome... at this point, it would have to be too big. You could cover the few blocks that make up the town, but you'd have to control the skies and hope nothing military flew over. Anything larger and you're begging for notice.

(Unless the Sponsors control the military. And satellites. Aren't conspiracy theories fun?)

At the same time, they've had too much weather to be underground... Personally, I'd stick them somewhere in northern Canada -- lots of unexplored territory, very little in the way of air travel, easy to isolate.

The bartender's an interesting spot. Assigning people to shadow Renbe's a solid idea: they know he's not pulling his nose away from their grindstone. I don't think he had any advance information on this, though -- too much investigation, and it's hard to be so supremely self-interested as to never warn your family. Or even your ex.

07-07-10, 10:23 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Nobody gets out alive."
I'm thinking Renbe was scared to contact Janet, that it would tip them off.

You wouldn't need to worry about isolation if everything is happening inside a lab.
(The Karma Initiative could be behind this!)

(You make Canada sound so interesting!)

07-18-10, 10:34 AM (EST)
30. "New Episode"
I'm starting to think that the show was moved to Saturday not only because of ratings but because they knew the story was going downhill fast. I found the whole segments with Renbe were horribly directed, the actors not seeming to follow each other, reacting and interacting a moment too late or too soon.

Now, If Erika isn't part of "Them", if they let her in and hadn't planned all this, then they aren't as smart as we think they are. I know Tom was surprised to see her with Ethylene Glycol but I hope those higher up than him knew about it or else it was much too easy for her to unearth the whole thing.

07-18-10, 07:25 PM (EST)
31. "RE: New Episode"
If this was Lost, we could make excuses about Renbe being a carrier of that little-known Dharma tool, Delayed Reaction Gas...

I'm starting to wonder if he's being used as a stalking horse. The car bomb trick was just stupid: if you're that close, you shoot them in the head. But if you make them think they've escaped a trap, motivate them to keep going... Maybe the Sponsors are using Renbe as their means of finding everyone who might be suspicious about what's going on.

I never said it was a good idea.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Figuring out antidotes is easy when you're the poisoner.

Erika can not be part of the Sponsors very easily. Tom's one man: he can't pay full attention to every screen at all times, and I think we can give Erika credit for some sleight-of-hand skills picked up in prison -- how else did the antifreeze get in Joe's food? Smuggling the entire container back to her room, however... that's a strain, and mostly on credibility.

But to have Tom in there as the sole operator makes no sense: one man can be distracted, fooled, or inattentive. (There at least has to be a night shift, right?) So there's a good chance someone's reviewing the feeds off-site -- someone who spotted Erika's action and let her go through with it. It's not as if Joe's in the Sponsors' good books right now, and if they saw her take the poison and the antidote, then they may have been curious as to how far she'd let things go. If Joe died, there goes an operative they didn't want any more. If he lived, then he's really part of the proceedings -- and they can always kill him later. (One of the surprises of the episode was having him in the 'blackmail' photo. Would you release an image of your operative?)
----------------------------------------------------------------
And for short cuts:

Whose side is Mr. Detective on? Did he just let the stalking horse out of the gate?

Are you as sick of The Most Self-Involved Beyotch In Recent (Fiction) TV History as I am?

And wouldn't Janet & Erika make a cute couple?

07-18-10, 09:47 PM (EST)
32. "RE: New Episode"
LAST EDITED ON 07-18-10 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

I'm glad I'm not watching this alone!

"The car bomb trick was just stupid... Maybe the Sponsors are using Renbe as their means of finding everyone who might be suspicious about what's going on."

I find that to be a very interesting theory.

"Erika can not be part of the Sponsors very easily"

Why not? All it could have taken was a fortune cookie saying "Poison Joe with this." But I think Erika's even more involved than this: We know that Joe's job was to gain Janet's trust: The "Sponsors" send them together on the taxi ride. That wasn't Joe's doing.

As soon as Joe overstepped his mission and began to fall for Janet we have this new "hostage" who has made it her mission to watch Janet's back and who has ruined all the trust Joe had built. It can't be a coincidence.

If by the self-involved Beyotch you mean Newspaper lady then I think it's bad writing more than anything. Bad writing, bad acting or bad directing or maybe all 3 which is enough to make us all sick. Can we last 7 more episodes?

07-25-10, 03:13 PM (EST)
33. "Getting with the Program."
You kind of have to admire the Sponsors for their beliefs. Feeling that in today's media culture, a frequent asylum flier, Islamic U.S. soldier, scam artist, wife killer, and single mother could all ascend into positions of power? Now that's a strong belief system. And one which has never heard of FOX News. (Not sure how they're going to promote the legally dead woman.)

So thus perishes Tom. And does so in such a way as to give Joe a tiny amount of trust back with the group -- which immediately leads into the 'was Tom's death set up to get Joe's credibility back?' Wheels within wheels, none of which necessarily have all their gear teeth intermeshing.

My stalking horse theory for Renbe feels like it's starting to bear fruit. 'There's only one person who can help you. I know exactly where she is. And yet my group cannot shut her down. Amazing how that works, isn't it?' Get caught by one party, freed by another -- he's walking in the borders of a shadow play. Don't think about the fact that you keep getting miraculously saved -- just keep moving and never ask who's arranging the miracle.

And as usual for a worldwide all-controlling conspiracy, I have just one question. 'So the giant mess was intentional?'

Note that the files seem to contain accurate information, not lies designed to set them against each other. Maybe the need here is for each person to come with built-in blackmail material.

07-25-10, 04:27 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Getting with the Program."
A secret organization that would kidnap, prep, brainwash and guide people to be in charge of governments and big business sounds a lot like the premise of a Robert Ludlum novel but it doesn't fit here: I could understand using Fairchild and grooming him to become ambassador. Maybe the plan was to have him become secretary of state. But what about the hostages we have here?

What possible plan could Janet fill?
Charlie may have 80 million so he could be a good candidate to infiltrate a given corporation but why kidnap him? They could simply have blackmailed him about his wife's murder.
McNair was a good soldier who went through a terrible experience which is a lot like David Webb's backstory but Webb was trained to become Jason Bourne the assassin. What training is McNair following?
Then there's the insignificant Blackham and the ex-con Erika...

It simply doesn't fit so I believe that's the story the "Sponsors" have fed to their operatives, of which Joe and Tom are the only two we know. Those operatives were probably the ones being prepped for "greater things". I could see Moira being one of those being prepped. She's different than the rest. In fact, I see a possible connection between Moira and the mysterious South American doctor. Could they be one and the same?

I was thinking of your "rat in a maze" theory for Renbe when Fairchild and Mafioso boy wound up both helping him. How can opponents suddenly embrace the same goal? The only possible answers are that they don't have the same goal or, more likely, their opposition was fake all along.

This episode was better than the last but I still hate the way the scenes are cut and now it even happened in town, not only in the outside scenes. We're here, we're there, we have Joe in chains, Joe in jail, Joe at the pain wall but there's no continuity. What I think is lacking is a narrator or at least following the events from someone's point of view. We mostly see what Janet sees but it isn't consistant.

07-25-10, 04:53 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Getting with the Program."
I admit to approaching the ultra-equal opportunity policy of the Sponsors with a little sarcasm: without a total coverup of their backgrounds, most of those currently in town would have a hard time getting onto the national stage. Of those present, Janet seems to have the cleanest past and the best chance of advancing -- so if that's really the plan, the others may be there just to give her dominoes that she can watch fall.

Right now, I think the story of Joe's recruitment -- if he can tell the truth about it -- would be one of the more helpful puzzle pieces. I just don't know if anyone's going to bother telling it.

07-25-10, 09:58 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Getting with the Program."
Joe said he was kidnapped and I think that is the truth so the questions become: When was he kidnapped? He still hasn't changed the original story that he was kidnapped at the same time as the others. Also, when and how was he indoctrinated?

Any thoughts on Moira and why we didn't get to see her file?

07-26-10, 07:39 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Getting with the Program."
Probably because her main secret is already out.

With Joe -- he claims thousands of people have been kidnapped over the years. Some of those were likely turned into recruits. This might make the current internment his second go-round in the system -- possibly even for the same faux town square with anyone kidnapped from North America. (As noted earlier, the Sponsors have been preventing escapes for a while.) So if he was brought in/converted on a first trip and kidnapped into a second one, he probably would have been wondering what the hell he did. 'Refresher course' isn't too likely, and he knew he wasn't on the total outs because Tom would communicate with him.

And yet the Sponsors let his image go out to Tori's father. Showing a known operative as an on-site threat? Letting the ambassador know anyone could be at risk? And that presumes the ambassador has any idea who Joe is...

Too few episodes, too many questions.

07-26-10, 08:15 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Getting with the Program."
Are we the only 2 watching?!

I doubt that all there is to Moira is mental institute patient. We'll see.

I was thinking Joe was kidnapped first, converted during that experience and then simply planted into this new group. As for the picture, I figured it was to prove to Fairchild that his daughter was in trouble so that he had to obey. I'm guessing Fairchild had used Joe in a secret ops previously and knew him as a serious threat.

08-01-10, 12:44 PM (EST)
39. "Help Wanted"
LAST EDITED ON 08-01-10 AT 12:46 PM (EST)

I had been expecting to see some type of examination room with electrodes registering thoughts so that the "Operators" could obtain mind-control. Therefore, seeing what happened to Joe wasn't much of a surprise. Seeing Tori alive wasn't either. What was surprising was to discover that this whole set-up was only to find the right people for the jobs that the organization offers! Isn't there enough unemployment?

The hostages will fit different roles in the program: Joe, the priest, showed he could become a ruthless killer so that made him "the best candidate in years". Tori gave in and accepted her fate so she became a simple orderly. A similar role awaits Bill, probably as the new night manager so that whatsisname can get a promotion and take over for Tom.

I think this episode answered a big question about Renbe's quest. Renbe was being led in a maze for a purpose but we now can assume with a fair amount of confidence that he isn't being led along by the organization but by those who want to stop it. He was led directly to the ex-director despite the fact that the organization had done a lot to get her out of the way. Of course the question of why didn't they kill her keeps me from being certain that Renbe is on the right path instead of being another pawn in this game.

What did Angela do to go from director to throwing feces in a South American jail? Fall in love?! With Fairchild?!!

08-01-10, 07:13 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Help Wanted"
My main question from this episode: 'Who did Joe ##### off?' Because there's a very real argument that he was sent back into the hotel to die.

From all indications, Janet was given the same assignment Joe originally received: kill your neighbor and you're out of here. Joe did as ordered: Janet shot the camera. (Arguably the real reason for Joe's devotion: I must protect that which is better than I was.) Joe was placed as Janet's neighbor -- which means that for Janet to pass that recruitment test, the Sponsors lose one previous operative. (Joe's clothing at the time wasn't exactly screaming bulletproof vest -- and even then, you can never guarantee where you're going to be shot.)

So did someone want Joe dead and provided a very convenient -- not to mention ironic -- method of demise? If so, what was the backup plan? What's happened since that they've decided the only thing to do is reprogram him -- effectively a sort of welcome back into the fold, or (from the previews) just sending out their executioner?

Did the Sponsors believe Janet was going to 'fail' that test all along?

What was surprising was to discover that this whole set-up was only to find the right people for the jobs that the organization offers! Isn't there enough unemployment?

The mind-manipulation techniques are designed to trigger breakdowns: once you break something down, you can try to rebuild it in something more fitting to your targeted image. (See any and every boot camp ever.) So the town as recruitment tool doesn't surprise me. In some ways, it's a roundabout technique -- but it can help when the targets effectively convince themselves to join.

As for unemployment: the Sponsors have the best interests of the world at heart! That means creating jobs!

Geez, man.

08-01-10, 07:51 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Help Wanted"
The order was the same for both Joe and Janet but I think the sponsors' intentions were different for each: Joe was a priest so he shouldn't have killed anyone but he did. Janet is a mother who is worried about her daughter so maybe the odds were that she was going to kill Joe. In that sense, I feel Janet, like Joe before, passed the test. For proof of that, the "Sponsors" continued to test her, sending a cab for her and Joe.

(I still keep on the back-burner, the possibility that this whole charade is about betting on individual's reaction. The "message in a fortune cookie" would fit in well here. There's no greater good, that's just incentive for the game pieces. It's only about bored billionaires having a little fun.)

Or maybe neither Joe or Janet could fail the test: Whatever action they took would determine their place in the organization. If Janet had killed Joe, she'd be the new Joe.

"So did someone want Joe dead and provided a very convenient -- not to mention ironic -- method of demise? If so, what was the backup plan? What's happened since that they've decided the only thing to do is reprogram him -- effectively a sort of welcome back into the fold, or (from the previews) just sending out their executioner?"

Good questions. We'd need to know what happened to him between the time he was designated "best candidate in years" to his return to town. Did he fulfill his missions or did he fail? The exchange between Tom and Joe as they watched the new cargo coming in was pleasant enough. Since there was a long time between the "kill Joe" order and the reprogramming, I think it was simply another mission for Joe. Falling in love was the problem that forced reprogramming.

08-08-10, 01:34 PM (EST)
42. "What was That?"
You'd think that an organization that wants to guide the whole world for its own good would be more than a dozen or so customer service representatives sitting like bots in a little room.

You'd think that an organization that's been shaping the course of events all over the world for over 50 years would be, I don't know...organized!

You'd think that an organization that has operatives all around the world would be able to find a replacement for Tom before all hell broke loose.

You'd think that an organization that wanted to find a level ten candidate to act as their psycho-killer would find a better way than to recruit in the priesthood. Plenty of psycho-killers out there.

You'd think that if Joe wanted to undress Janet, he'd find a better way than to hang her over the edge. Gotta admit, her push-up bra offered her a lot of support!

You'd think that a tough-as-nails ex-con wouldn't admit that an ordinary housewife is the "only one here that they didn't break" and that Janet was tougher than her.

You'd think that, since the town is "still in the Northern Hemisphere" then Renbe and Kat would need to walk for more than one night to go from a South American Jungle to the edge of town. I saw that coming as soon as they started running in the woods but come on!

You'd think that the director of a world leading organization would be able to find a stand-in to sit in jail waiting for Renbe to finally show up rather than leave her cushy office and do it herself.

I'm almost about to give up on this show but since it's only a few more weeks... There's still ways to explain this mess but I'm thinking the answers we were promised weren't necessarily to the questions we have.

Possibilities: - There all being tested, even director lady Angela is a tool for someone higher up. They're all under sedation, their brain waves being monitored, studied, shaped.
- The organization is looking for clone candidates. The new psycho-Joe is really a clone of the old one, the one that fell in love with Janet who was itself a clone of priest-killer Joe. "Jailed-Angela" was a clone gone bad of director lady.
- The script is full of holes.

08-09-10, 03:53 PM (EST)
43. "RE: What was That?"
I kept flashing on a Phil Foglio line put in as an aside to the reader. As best I can remember it, "Every author is entitled to one completely implausible coincidence per story. The writer has decided to cash his in now."

Given that buy-in rate, the entire NBC lineup is now in hock through 2014.

You'd think that an organization that wants to guide the whole world for its own good would be more than a dozen or so customer service representatives sitting like bots in a little room.

Having seen some of the higher personnel in action, I think 'for its own good' is now off the boards.

You'd think that an organization that's been shaping the course of events all over the world for over 50 years would be, I don't know...organized!

So you've never seen a session of Congress?

You'd think that an organization that has operatives all around the world would be able to find a replacement for Tom before all hell broke loose.

Having major trouble with this one. It's like saying that either there's only one person trained to run the town, it's impossible to get people in and out on short notice, or (as you noted) the group is a lot smaller than first thought. If they have the resources, then they should have the personnel -- unless there's some ridiculous skimming going on.

You'd think that an organization that wanted to find a level ten candidate to act as their psycho-killer would find a better way than to recruit in the priesthood. Plenty of psycho-killers out there.

The idea might to be to take someone of strong devotion and loyalty, then twist it so that it's all working for you. Sociopaths tend to go off on their own when things get boring.

You'd think that if Joe wanted to undress Janet, he'd find a better way than to hang her over the edge. Gotta admit, her push-up bra offered her a lot of support!

But if he'd held her out there for eighteen hours and one minute...

You'd think that a tough-as-nails ex-con wouldn't admit that an ordinary housewife is the "only one here that they didn't break" and that Janet was tougher than her.

I can seen Erika as saying it. I don't see her as having the motivation to do so. She's been the least tested within the confines of the town. (Prison experience counted separately.) Unless something's been happening to her just out of sight, this should be a vacation when compared to Death Row.

You'd think that, since the town is "still in the Northern Hemisphere" then Renbe and Kat would need to walk for more than one night to go from a South American Jungle to the edge of town. I saw that coming as soon as they started running in the woods but come on!

Did I say 2014? I meant 2015.

You'd think that the director of a world leading organization would be able to find a stand-in to sit in jail waiting for Renbe to finally show up rather than leave her cushy office and do it herself.

Not much for micromanaging, huh?

- The script is full of holes.

As long as the town doesn't have one in the center. A hole with a big stone cork stuck in it.

08-09-10, 08:50 PM (EST)
44. "RE: What was That?"
Thanks for the laughs!!

I've never seen congress but the "Assemblée Nationale" can also be a riot.

"Sociopaths tend to go off on their own when things get boring."

Ok, that explains why they couldn't find any sociopaths: They all read the script, knew it would be boring and went off on their own.
(Wish Brian had went off on his own during Thailand.)

"The script is full of holes."

"As long as the town doesn't have one in the center. A hole with a big stone cork stuck in it."

You know that I enjoyed the ending of Lost! I don't think this will even come close.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-10, 07:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Persons Unknown."
This was an interesting and promising show for the first couple of episodes.

Now it's just trash.

08-11-10, 08:13 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Persons Unknown."
Ratings have dropped accordingly. It's down to 1M now and, with a 1 week hiatus, there might be only a dozen or so viewers that will get the "answers".

08-11-10, 11:04 AM (EST)
47. "RE: Persons Unknown."
And it didn't even take six seasons to self-compost! (Plus it beat Big Brother's decomposition by a whole two hours.)

I do wonder about NBC's commitment: with hiatus and schedule-switches already having been tried, the last few episodes may wind up online. (Amazon has a release date for the DVD set set to September 7th. It's very optimistically labeled as 'Season One.') This is cheap and paid for, which seems to be the network's only criteria -- but there's still more reruns of Minute To Win It waiting in the wings.

As far as the trash status goes, I'm mostly still watching to see if they can turn this into something that makes sense within their remaining time -- and if they don't, just how badly they blow it. The descent from interesting concept to low camp wasn't the ride I was hoping for, but it's the only one I've got.

And unless I get a $2.99 price tag, commentary/excuses/half-baked explanations on every episode, and a comprehensive map of the spacial warps as an interior fold-out, I'm not getting the DVD.

08-14-10, 06:04 PM (EST)
48. "It gets worse:"
EXCLUSIVE: NBC TO WRAP "PERSONS UNKNOWN" EARLY, SKIPPED EPISODE TO DEBUT ONLINE

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- NBC is cutting its "Persons Unknown" run short by one episode.
Said installment, "Seven Sacrifices," however will turn up online, a network spokesperson has confirmed to the site exclusively.
"Persons Unknown" returns next Saturday, August 21 at 8:00/7:00c with its 10th episode ("Identity"). That week, episode 11 (the aforementioned "Seven Sacrifices") will make its online debut before the show signs off with its two-hour finale ("And Then There Was One"; "Shadows in the Cave") on Saturday, August 28 starting at 8:00/7:00c.

08-23-10, 07:02 AM (EST)
51. "RE: It gets worse:"
And with that, I'm out. This was meant to be a thirteen-chapter novel. If NBC thinks they can rip a section out and still leave the story intact, it says something horrific about the story, the network, or both -- and I don't feel like listening.

When the DVD set comes out, I'll see how the tale flows. But the network has officially annoyed me away from the broadcast. Besides, I hate wrestling with their episode servers. Now there's a poorly-constructed reality...

08-23-10, 10:32 AM (EST)
52. "RE: It gets worse:"
It was fun while it lasted! I'll be posting thoughts on the finale if you want to read.

08-22-10, 02:01 PM (EST)
49. "Identity"
So Joe killed Liam but Liam isn't dead. That sure sounds like what they do and see isn't real, that it's all happening in their mind. (Or that they have cloned these people)

Only results count so the scenarios don't have desired outcomes but are simply for observation and job selection. These people really don't trust the interviewing process!

What is it with everyone's fascination over Janet? Even Liam now wants her. He will soon be in need of re-programmation like Joe. It seems that whateveritis that Janet has is what will bring this whole program to its knees. Powerful stuff.

Learning everyone's back-story reminded me that this is a Lost wannabee with all those conflicts between the hostages and their parents. Moira killed her abusive father and enabling mother? Graham took revenge on his abusive mother? So, I guess the hostages needed the town as much as the town needed them!

With the lock-down in effect, the scenario did a poor job of telling us that Renbe and Kat were in a different town. It should have been more evident, it should have happened in a different episode so that we would have seen the Hostages walking outside while Renbe was looking around. I also have a problem understanding why the bluepeeps all stopped for Mafioso boy and let Renbe's jeep go. Unless they wanted him to go free.

I've been trying to find a link for Seven Sacrifices but nothing is available for viewing outside the States.

08-22-10, 10:59 PM (EST)
50. "Seven Sacrifices"
It was probably the best episode since...the 3rd or 4th?

Freewill is just an illusion!!! Talk about your Lost reference! Also, Liam saying he wanted to be the Sole Survivor had me chuckling!

Janet attending her own funeral was a nice idea and we should have had more original scenes like this one instead of all the junk between Erik/Joe/Janet, Bill/Charlie and Renbe/Kat that plagued most of the mid-season. There was one camera shot of Janet standing over her coffin that was from the same angle as we usually have when looking throught the spy-cams but without the blurry image. Still, it reinforced the idea that everything is happening in their minds. Programmed thoughts rather than actions would still reveal behavior patterns.

Liam's descent from man in charge to stalker to being afraid of intimacy and then trying to hide his failure to the director made for a very good story.

I liked the scene where Renbe explained what happened to the police officer. You could see that he didn't believe it himself but then he gets freed the next day anyway!

So there are at least 27 towns that have been running for decades and they still haven't figured out how to handle someone like Janet? That still seems like an impossible scenario.

Thanks Tribe!

08-29-10, 02:54 AM (EST)
53. "A Boatload of Crap"
Do you want to know how it ended?

The writers all died of shame before they could get to season 2.

The finale was so obviously the season 1 cliffhanger leading to season 2 that it's false advertising to have said all the questions would be answered. I was wondering if I was going to skip an hour of Monday night football to follow "The Event" but thanks NBC, I now know not to waste my time with your programs.

A Summary of sorts:
Janet learned from Liam that there will be only 1 Survivor.
How will they decide who dies, she asks.
They won't, you will kill each other.
Janet doesn't want to play Survivor like Russell, she's a social player who wants everyone to live. Still, they do start killing each other, Moira being the big villain, but it's only to fool the cameras. They fake their own deaths all the way to Joe who poisons Janet. All 6 are put in body bags and are carted off in a van. They open the bags and Graham wrestles with the driver until the van crashes. End of episode 12. Liam's head was blown off at one point but who cares.

The final episode starts with Janet wandering alone on Highway 93. Moira and Erika find themselves in Morocco even if no one turned a donkey wheel while Charlie and Bill are in a stolen mustang driving up route 1. They don't stop even if they cross Renbe and Kat who were stopped on the side of the road with a dead engine. What were they doing there? Story unknown because they had just spent the first hour in Iowa at the head office of the Mansfield Institute which is the Dharma of this show.

Anyway, back to the less trivial stuff and Janet who was saved and brought to a hospital where the Doctor in charge is... wait for it... ta-dam: Angela. Janet escapes, sees Renbe and Kat get captured by blue men, but she manages to get out of the Hospital and into a white light. (No kidding: Janet opens an emergency exit door, sees a flash of white light, walks towards it and... commercial)

Meanwhile, Angela convenes an emergency meeting of the Mansfield Institute's bigwigs. Mr biggestwig, I'll call him "Chief Sitting Bullsh*t" because he has white hair down to the middle of his back and does nothing but sit and complain, tells Angela she has endangered the program. You'd think, finally, we would learn what is the program because only 30 minutes are left but no, Angela saves her job by simply saying trust me. I suppose Chief Sitting Bullsh*t was supposed to be the Jacob of the story but he remains Person Unknown.

Janet finds her way to Mommy dearest's home.
(The white light? No explanations. Are you still expecting answers?)
While Janet goes upstairs to see Megan, Grand-mom receives a phone call from her lifelong friend... wait for it... Angela who demands to get Janet back. Mommy tells Janet to save herself and Megan so Janet drives out in a car and travels all night until she finds a hotel in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you don't see where this is going...

Next morning, Janet wakes up alone in her hotel room, Megan nowhere to be seen. Joe, Renbe and all the other 6 also wake up in separate hotel rooms. Kat is not as lucky: Blue men threw her in a dog cage in the middle of a forest where she sees Fairchild, also in a dog cage telling her that it's over.

Janet finds a key in the bible, walks out and meets Bill, Charlie, Moira, Graham and Erika. Joe gets out of a room but he meets Renbe and 5 newbies. They go down the elevator and are greeted by Tori, the new night manager. Janet and the other 5 are greeeted by Patchie, Angela's latest lackey, who tells them: "Welcome to Level 2". They all look shocked, the camera pans out and we see they are on a freighter in the middle of the ocean. End of story.

Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Thanks Tribe!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •