The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Production: Claps & Slaps"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-18-13, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Production: Claps & Slaps"
For notes on leg construction, task design, course layout, camera work, and the other elements which go into the actual assembly of the Race. (This is not for commenting on Racer actions unless said actions were directly caused, influenced, or sabotaged by Production.) It's sort of a behind-the-scenes GUFU with occasional positive notes, and it's one thread per season. Sort of like how it's one mandatory departure point for the course. Again.

So for starters...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Bora Bora Estee 02-18-13 1
   RE: Bora Bora samboohoo 02-18-13 2
       RE: Bora Bora PepeLePew13 02-18-13 3
 RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Molaholic 02-18-13 4
 RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Belle Book 02-18-13 5
 RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Colonel Zoidberg 02-20-13 6
 Bora Bora II Estee 02-25-13 7
   RE: Bora Bora II Starshine 02-25-13 8
   RE: Bora Bora II Molaholic 02-25-13 9
   RE: Bora Bora II Belle Book 02-25-13 10
   RE: Bora Bora II jbug 02-25-13 11
       ??? Estee 02-25-13 12
       RE: Bora Bora II PepeLePew13 02-25-13 14
           RE: Bora Bora II jbug 02-25-13 15
           RE: Bora Bora II featherfish81 02-28-13 16
               RE: Bora Bora II jbug 02-28-13 17
                   RE: Bora Bora II featherfish81 03-05-13 23
   RE: Bora Bora II udg 02-25-13 13
 New Zealand Estee 03-04-13 18
   RE: New Zealand udg 03-04-13 19
   RE: New Zealand jbug 03-04-13 20
       RE: New Zealand Estee 03-04-13 22
   Dashed Teamsters Starshine 03-04-13 21
   RE: New Zealand Colonel Zoidberg 03-06-13 24
 Bali. Estee 03-11-13 25
   RE: Bali. Belle Book 03-11-13 26
   RE: Bali. samboohoo 03-12-13 27
       RE: Bali. udg 03-12-13 28
 RE: Production: Claps & Slaps vennui 03-17-13 29
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Georjanna 03-18-13 30
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps PsychoKitty 03-18-13 31
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Starshine 03-18-13 32
   Vietnam Estee 03-18-13 33
       RE: Vietnam Belle Book 03-18-13 38
       RE: Vietnam KwietOne 03-23-13 41
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps jbug 03-18-13 34
       RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Estee 03-18-13 35
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps jbug 03-18-13 36
       RE: Production: Claps & Slaps jbug 03-18-13 37
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps qwertypie 03-19-13 39
   RE: Production: Claps & Slaps Molaholic 03-19-13 40
 Botswana Estee 03-25-13 42
   RE: Botswana PepeLePew13 03-25-13 43
   RE: Botswana Belle Book 03-25-13 44
   RE: Botswana Molaholic 03-25-13 45
       RE: Botswana BrassFan 03-26-13 46
           RE: Botswana udg 03-26-13 47
               RE: Botswana Molaholic 03-29-13 48
                   RE: Botswana kidflash212 03-30-13 49
 Botswana II Estee 04-01-13 50
   RE: Botswana II udg 04-01-13 51
   RE: Botswana II Molaholic 04-03-13 52
 Switzerland Estee 04-15-13 53
   RE: Switzerland Max Headroom 04-15-13 54
       RE: Switzerland Estee 04-15-13 55
       RE: Switzerland featherfish81 04-15-13 56
           RE: Switzerland olathejoe 04-16-13 57
 Berlin Estee 04-22-13 58
   RE: Berlin Max Headroom 04-22-13 59
   RE: Berlin Molaholic 04-22-13 60
       RE: Berlin Estee 04-22-13 61
           RE: Berlin olathejoe 04-22-13 62
               RE: Berlin jbug 04-22-13 63
               RE: Berlin PepeLePew13 04-22-13 64
                   RE: Berlin Snidget 04-22-13 65
                       RE: Berlin CTgirl 04-22-13 67
                           RE: Berlin PepeLePew13 04-23-13 68
                   RE: Berlin BrassFan 04-23-13 71
               RE: Berlin featherfish81 04-22-13 66
   RE: Berlin qwertypie 04-23-13 69
       RE: Berlin CTgirl 04-23-13 70
 Scotland Estee 04-29-13 72
   RE: Scotland kidflash212 04-29-13 73
   RE: Scotland Max Headroom 04-29-13 74
   RE: Scotland Starshine 04-29-13 75
   RE: Scotland Molaholic 04-29-13 76
       RE: Scotland kidflash212 04-29-13 77
           RE: Scotland Belle Book 04-29-13 78
               RE: Scotland PepeLePew13 04-29-13 79
 Finale IanQuentin 05-07-13 80
   RE: Finale kidflash212 05-07-13 81
       RE: Finale olathejoe 05-08-13 85
           RE: Finale kidflash212 05-11-13 86
   RE: Finale Estee 05-08-13 82
       RE: Finale stlouisfan76 05-08-13 83
   RE: Finale Molaholic 05-08-13 84

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-18-13, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Bora Bora"
Slap Oh, look: we're leaving from Los Angeles again. And gee, it's the Griffith Observatory. I crushed a werewolf between the closing doors of the telescope dome there once. Oh, the memories.

Slap The double Express Pass. TAR is, at its heart, a meritocracy with a serious luck factor: you generally travel on skill and pray not to get the wrong cab. Encouraging alliances or just trying to keep a weak team on the course in order to knock a stronger one turns this into something more MB-like, and that's not coming across as a positive.

Clap For new territory: give us countries we haven't been to before, and the landscape here is striking. Bonus points for the freefall shots of the island, which made me want to book a flight there in mid-episoe.

Slap First time on the Race that one person has taken a skydive while their partner went out to meet them at the landing point? Seriously? How very short your memory is.

SLAP The sandcastle Roadblock. Tasks of this nature are always randomizers that depend more on luck than skill, so it eliminated the flight gap. The fastidious need to rebuild castles added still more time and made sure the entire field would have an equal theoretical chance at frustration: potentially amusing for normal weather, but not in that climate. As KidFlash said, they were begging for a heatstroke victim. For hours on end. And when a task leads to a triple quit in the name of what those teams thought was strategy, you may have gone too far.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-13, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Bora Bora"
I'm torn on the slap for the sandcastle roadblock. When the first teams arrived, they had to start from the beginning. The rebuilding, IMO, made everything equal because those that arrived on the second plane didn't have the ability to eliminate the smashed castles and thus they had to start from the beginning.

Perhaps providing some kind of tenting or even putting them under umbrellas would have been the way to go.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-13, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Bora Bora"
A win-win may have been to offer a misting spray every 15 minutes or so - light enough not to soak the beach, but enough to cool off the contestants and also provide a bit of dampness to make it easier to build sandcastles that will stick together.

But I agree, I would have liked to see them offer some kind of tenting or a cool-down station to run into where needed.

I'll echo the !SLAP! on the two express passes idea. That's an inordinate amount of power to give to one team in my opinion.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

02-18-13, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
CLAP TAR is back.

CLAP Tandem skyjumping from a helicopter.

SLAP Yes, the sandcastles task was unrelenting -- particularly this soon in the race.

Other than that, not much else to say. I'm taking a "wait-and-see" position on the bonus Express Pass feature.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-18-13, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
LAST EDITED ON 02-18-13 AT 02:23 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-18-13 AT 02:23 PM (EST)

Clap:: Although teams have flown from Los Angeles too many times, having the starting point at Griffith Observatory was a definite plus for me since I have some interest in astronomy. Besides, it made more sense to fly west from LA than to fly east!

Clap:: Going to Bora Bora! I would've died to go somewhere tropical!

Wait and See: The Double Express Pass. It's too early to tell whether it's a bad idea or not.

Slap: The Sandcastle Roadblock. Or to be more specific, the conditions under which the people out on the sand labored. Had their teammates been able to run out and provide some shade, three teams wouldn't have been as strongly tempted to quit.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-13, 05:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
Slap The canoes. So right at the end, it all comes down to "Does my canoe capsize?"

Clap The double roadblock, with one playing to fear and the other to brutality.

Clap The destination. Any time they go someplace new, it's a clap. Even if it doesn't work. Hopefully they skip India entirely.

Right hook Los Angeles AGAAAAAAAAAAAIN????!?!?!?!

02-25-13, 09:20 AM (EST)
7. "Bora Bora II"
Slap A giant bunch point at the start of the leg. While staying in the same country. Seriously? Look, I understand that the Detour tasks had to be done in daylight, but it's not as if Pit Stops are evenly divisible by twelve any more: just put the departure time closer to sunrise. This was regrouping for the sake of regrouping, and you knew it. All this arguably does is make quitting into a stronger option: why finish the task when the next start will equalize the field anyway?

Clap This is a very photogenic nation.

Clap Special bonus cinematography mention for the underwater work, some of which was suitable for framing.

Slap Consecutive search tasks. Why?

No Hand Movement Just curious: is there any section on the application reading "Are you hydrophobic? Y/N"? If so, is there a yearly quota for teams who don't circle the Y?

No Hand Movement For some reason, this came across as a very low-activity leg. It just didn't feel as if the teams did that much. Take out the initial unknown travel time on the water taxis and this part of the course might have required an hour and a half to complete.

Slap And everyone received an instant safety course on how to operate the waterski without killing themselves or those around them -- right?

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-25-13, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Bora Bora II"
Clap - Underwater dining! For those teams with an issue with deep water the setting up a table task seemed like a good option, and at least it wasn't another search task.

Slap - On the other hand everything else was

Clap - It really was very beautiful

Slap - But it felt like a nothing episode, OK the four hour teams caught up, but still it was a bit meh

02-25-13, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Bora Bora II"
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 11:03 AM (EST)

CLAP -- Ditto on the fantastic scenery.

SLAP -- Ditto on the consecutive search tasks.

CLAP -- Connected to the above mentioned bunch point slap, but thank you for not boring us with a plethora of meaningless departure times.

02-25-13, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Bora Bora II"
They might have put it closer to sunrise had the last two teams not taken the penalty. Otherwise, I'd agree with the Slap.

Clap: Bora Bora is so pretty! I'd love to vacation there sometime!

Clap: The underwater footage was awesome!

Minor Slap: Two consecutive search tasks. At least the second one was part of a Detour.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

02-25-13, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Bora Bora II"
Clap: The views from above; absolutely breathtaking!
(& am I the only one to see the huge shark?)

02-25-13, 01:30 PM (EST)
12. "???"
Katie's not that big...

02-25-13, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Bora Bora II"
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-13 AT 09:39 AM (EST)

Did you mean this scene?

This was the only thing I could remember seeing, and I was discussing this episode earlier with a student, and she asked whether the rays seen in the trunk detour were in any way dangerous. I told her that my experience that rays like those aren't dangerous or they wouldn't have let the contestants swim around there. I brought up whether anyone had seen a shark or not, and they said they didn't. So I 'dispatched' a learner to take a look at the video and see if she could find any. The above scene was the only thing that resembled a shark - and my first thought was that it was the shadow of the helicopter above filming the scene.

Did a quick look online:
Black tip reef sharks are no danger to humans. No known incidents in French Polynesia with sharks or rays (especially in the lagoon of Bora Bora).

02-25-13, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Bora Bora II"
that's the one

and yes it could be the shadow of the helicopter;
but in motion, it really looked like a shark with wiggly tail & all!

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-28-13, 02:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Bora Bora II"
From my (limited) experience diving...

I hadn't seen the "shark" the first time, and now that I see the screenshot I'm pretty sure it's the shadow from the helicopter. The tail is too skinny to be a shark, though I suppose an expert could come along and tell us all about a species that has a really skinny tail like that. Plus, I think the water's too shallow for a shark that large. Sorry to be the spoiler.

And yes, reef sharks are small and aren't a danger to humans. Rays generally aren't either, though if you startle them sting rays can react and sting you with the barbs on their tail. It's usually not fatal, unless they sting you in a vulnerable spot (which is what happened to Steve Irwin.)

02-28-13, 12:54 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Bora Bora II"

03-05-13, 01:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Bora Bora II"
I know, I know...Like I said, I'm sorry

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-25-13, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Bora Bora II"
Slap Excessive bunch point manipulation.

Slap Actual content? This episode was basically, go to ocean, come back to shore, the end.

No Hand Movement The search task was optional.

Clap The table setting task was awesome. Beautiful on the screen and totally different from anything any contestant deals with IRL.

03-04-13, 09:31 AM (EST)
18. "New Zealand"
Clap Slower than a Congressional compromise! More pointless than a Vatican press release! Able to discard actual results faster than Faux News! It's Suuuuuuperleg! Yes, it's Superleg, that usually-unwelcome visitor from prior seasons which may have actually turned up in time to (believe it or not) save the day! And how does it do this, even accidentally? By taking the bad idea that is the Alliance Pass' attempt to keep weaker teams on the course and completely negating any effect it had on the actual results. So much for the freebie. (Bonus points for David & Connor not expecting it -- there was no reaction to the dreaded 'team to arrive.') Serendipity rocks. It rocks out loud.

Slap How many bunch points do we need at the start of one leg? Regroup at the first airport, slight reshuffle in the second, and then regroup again and set a new order at the campsite. And the lighting at said campsite made it look as if the first teams there might have arrived within the stated Hours Of Operation, which would have meant they should have been allowed to take the tour. Way to even out the field again -- and again -- and again.

Slap Bad Detour design. We've seen this kind of driving course before; adding a wrong-side clutch and wheel plus cumulative timing didn't do much to freshen it up. And as for the other branch -- sure, now we're counting on another species to desire suicide at speed. Let me know how that works out. It's a small miracle anyone tried that side at all.

Clap New Zealand scenery: still not a bad idea. But why are we not dropping by Phil's house? I want to see his lawn. And I want to see it after all the teams have run across it.

Hand Vibrating From Effort To Control Fist Now: close your eyes and imagine the public reaction if the twins had still been on the course when we hit that Roadblock.

...right.

03-04-13, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: New Zealand"
Clap: Location, location, location. This place is just as pretty as the last! I know they can't keep it up all season, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Slap: What was the point of the shepherds & dogs at the Roadblock?

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!

03-04-13, 05:32 PM (EST)
20. "RE: New Zealand"
We want to see how many traveling gnomes Phil has on his lawn.

03-04-13, 06:44 PM (EST)
22. "RE: New Zealand"
*awards point*

03-04-13, 06:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Dashed Teamsters"
Ehow say Through most of recorded history, people, whether walking, riding animals or driving vehicles, have travelled on the left side of the road. Much of the lore behind that fact is sketchy, but the practice dates back to the ancient Roman Empire.

Excuses excuses

Clap - New Zealand really is beautiful

Clap - Tarring and feathering the competitors, dashed good idea

Slap - Yes I get it, you both had cancer, but the first five minutes of the show were dedicated to that, and then it got another reprise, and another, enough already!

No movement - This keep racing seems more sensible so far, the winners of the leg have won a prize (and are hopefully going home) if the last placed team goes home I will like the idea, if not then it sits with the US and Oz versions of the Intersection as a very bad idea.

Slap - New Zealanders are known for being very nice, I'm not sure if some of the judges on the car course weren't a little too nice, I'm sure I saw one team go through with 83 seconds, and another seemed a little erm slow to have qualified.

Slap - I suppose if you wanted a prize then the express pass was a sensible move, otherwise it was a complete waste of time.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings

03-06-13, 05:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: New Zealand"
close your eyes and imagine the public reaction if the twins had still been on the course when we hit that Roadblock.

Forgive my ignorance, but...why?

Clap Excellent location. Possible future site of a vacation in the future for that leg alone.

Clap The Detour half involving the POS stick-shift cars and cones. It looked like drag racing meeting the American driver's test.

Slap The other half of the Detour sucked.

Withheld Slap I thought for sure this would be a U-Turn leg based on the proximity of the Detour options. Glad to see it wasn't.

No hand movement The overall absurdity of the "shemozzle race" was amusing and a col thing to do, but it looked kind of poorly organized.

Right hook If Dave and Conner were going to quit, they would have quit by now. Don't even start with the whole "will they or won't they?" spiel. The only things bumping them off are elimination or further injury.

Flying suplex So Team Mullet screwed up with their choice of flight and are required to pay for it what...what exactly?

03-11-13, 07:14 AM (EST)
25. "Bali."
For once, this gets to be a clap-happy leg.

Clap For having a jump that big which didn't turn into a reset bunch point. I was expecting all the teams to be on the same flight. (Probably happened by accident, but let's clap anyway.)

Clap The streak of jaw-dropping scenery goes on.

Slap W.C. Fields had this part right. Was there any guarantee that the monkey wouldn't run off with the coconut? Remove the clue and throw it deep into the park? Get acquainted with a Racer, up close, personal, and with fangs? Work with animals in this kind of setting and you're begging for disaster. The fact that you didn't get one doesn't change your having begged for it.

ClapGood job by the editing team on this episode during the final segments with their fast switches and attention to sun position. For a while, it really felt like any one of six teams could potentially have wound up in last place.

Clap ''To the standards of the judges' tasks are always chancy, but this one had a definitive model to work from. With that said, some of the releases seemed a little -- charitable -- but at least the teams knew exactly what they were supposed to be building.

Special mini-Clap to Casting for getting a country singer team which wasn't terrified of other faiths. What a pleasant change of pace.

03-11-13, 12:02 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Bali."
The monkeys were probably trained not to run off with the coconut, throw the clue deep into the park, or attack a Racer by the usual means -- food for not doing any of the above. Therefore, I'd give that task a minor Slap. Of course, if Tammy & Victor were having to deal with monkeys, Tammy would have done a fine job. She had lots of practice with Victor.

I'd give Claps to the same things that you did, Estee.

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-13, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Bali."
Clap: To Phil for not eliminating the last team the first time they brought the wrong surfboard. I thought it was funny and cruel all at the same time to let them continue.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

03-12-13, 12:28 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Bali."
"No, you may not look at the answer. Go find the right board yourself."

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!
It would have made me nervous that it was a NEL, except that CBS.com spoiled it for me when I went there to watch the episode.

vennui 694 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-17-13, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vennui Click to send private message to vennui Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
Slap. Probably politically incorrect . But the political dance disturbed me. I still remember the Vietnam war. I graduated in 1973 and the war was was a big part of my teenaged years. I had no problem visiting Vietnam , but the content of the dance was a little too pointed for me. Perhaps, I am the only one who this bothered.

Georjanna 1170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-18-13, 00:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
LAST EDITED ON 03-18-13 AT 00:41 AM (EST)

No, you were not the only one. I was saddened, offended and deeply angered by the crude and inflammatory message imposed upon a group of Americans left with little or no opportunity for either protest or rebuttal.

The relationship between the United States and Vietnam is filled with complexities and passions over which the best of men and women vehemently and honorably differ.

But this thing tonight reminded of nothing so much as it did of those vignettes of American soldiers or sailors sitting silent, defenseless and motionless in front of their North Vietnamese captors while the latter intoned a litany of their 'war crimes'.

I turned it off.

Edited to Add: And lest the point be somehow missed, there was the shattered B52 to drive it home.

G

PsychoKitty 678 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-18-13, 03:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PsychoKitty Click to send private message to PsychoKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
I was disturbed by the optimistic simplistic song and dance because it was being done by the young people and they were being indoctrinated into communism. They were putting such a naive jolly spin to it. I thought it was really weird to have Americans watch it, but it is their national song (unfortunately). So I wasn't thinking about the song as being offensive (which I certainly understand that for you it was), I was thinking about it being weird and uninformed but very sadly their way of looking at the world for now . . . An interesting slice of culture.

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

03-18-13, 04:14 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
I know how you feel, I've taken the tourist bus trip round Boston which was one long anti British tirade.

On the other hand it does seem odd that the producers should choose something like this as a task.

03-18-13, 09:12 AM (EST)
33. "Vietnam"
This will not be a happy leg.

Slap So are we honoring the crew of the B52 that went down, or are we celebrating the fact that they crashed? As with Vennui's note above, there are people who stand ready to take any reminder of the war as a personal affront, and there are those in Vietnam who will make sure it is a personal affront. I'm hardly expecting the relationship to be sister cities and Thanks For The Agent Orange, but there's just too much waiting to go wrong here.

Yes, I'm very aware that the same thing can be invoked on the States when the course goes through Hiroshima. And then some.

Slap The purpose of Vietnamese food: to make the locals realize how desperately they need to get out of the country as soon as they taste anything else... can't call that on Production? Okay, so how about this one: the soup branch was an open invitation to theft by the merchants. We saw a bit of Ugly Easterners last night: fingers on the scale, hand over the wrong items to the witless fools, rip them off and if they want to complain about it, good luck finding someone who'll care. It gets worse if the teams were paying for the stuff out of their own leg money, giving the chess piece haulers a financial advantage later in the course. Don't give non-participants that much influence over the race.

Slap The chess piece placement was partially a war of attrition, giving later-arriving teams a small edge in searching through a smaller field. If you have to replace the sandcastles, then someone should have been keeping the number of costumed extras constant.

Slap Standards of performance for the bamboo dance were... oh, right: we never heard or saw any. Thanks.

Clap For not dangling food in front of the shark by turning this into a double elimination leg. (As opposed to your Wednesday night sibling, which is still at the point of encouraging mental breakdowns for extra drama and casts people who'll make sure they get a few.) My only question heading into the mat was 'Speed Bump or not?', and leaving it out was appropriate.

Slap Hours. Of. Non. Operation. Did we really need a giant bunch point at the end of a giant bunch point? No. Did we get one? Naturally. And why? No one knows.

03-18-13, 12:10 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Vietnam"
I have one main Slap and one Clap. Most of the other slaps you gave didn't really bother me, Estee:

Slap: The patriotic dance task. It would probably have seemed insulting to Vietnam vets who had to watch the dance. On the other hand, the kids were singing in Vietnamese, so I doubt anyone on the Race who were old enough to remember the Vietnam War or take part in it would have understood the song.

Could Go Either Way: The B-52 memorial. I think that Production intended to honor the crew that went down, but the Vietnamese might not agree.

Clap: The fact that it wasn't a double elimination leg once Dave & Connor wisely chose to withdraw.

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-23-13, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Vietnam"
Looks like CBS is under fire.

http://radio.woai.com/pages/pp_joepags.html?article=11091395

03-18-13, 09:12 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
I thought it very odd too that they would use this.
I wondered if there was any interpretation for the racers? Maybe they had no idea what was being said.
I was a teenager & young adult during Vietnam too. DH served in Vietnam; as did my BIL and others of the community. It is not a fond memory for any of us.

The words of the song were not about being proud of their country. It was an indoctrination.
"Listen to it often enough and you will start believing it" kinda thing.

03-18-13, 09:45 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
'Land of the free, home of the brave.'

Every national anthem is like that.

Be fair: at least theirs can actually be, y'know, sung.

03-18-13, 10:17 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
Maybe that wasn't the National Anthem after all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_South_Vietnam

Youth of Vietnam, arise! And at our Country's call
Single in heart let us open the way; let us keep in mind
Our millenary history. From North to South, brothers,
Let us unite. Our young hearts are crystal pure;
Unsparing of our ardent blood, let our efforts increase.
No danger, no obstacle can hold us back.
Despite a thousand trials our courage is unshaken.
On this new road our eyes embrace the horizon,
Our soaring youthful spirit is undauntable.
Youth of Vietnam, to the very end! this we resolve.
To give ourselves completely, this we vow.
Forward together for a glorious life,
Remember we are the generation of the Lac-Hong.

Oh citizens! Our country has reached the day of liberation
Of one heart we go forth, sacrificing ourselves with no regrets
For the future of the people, advance into battle
Let us make this land eternally strong
Should our bodies be left on the battlefields
The nation will be avenged with our crimson blood
The Race in times of crisis will be rescued
We the People remain resolute in our hearts and minds
Courageously we will fight such that everywhere
The Glory of the Vietnamese resounds for eternity
Oh citizens! Hasten to offer yourselves under the flag!
Oh citizens! Hasten to defend this land
Escape from destruction, and bask our Race in glory
Be forever worthy of the Lạc Hồng descendants!

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/nationalanthemslyrics/vietnamnationalanthemlyrics.html
Soldiers of Vietnam, we go forward,

With the one will to save our Fatherland,

Our hurried steps are sounding on the long and arduous road.

Our flag, red with the blood of victory, bears the spirit of our country.

The distant rumbling of the guns mingles with our marching song.

The path to glory passes over the bodies of our foes.

Overcoming all hardships, together we build our resistance bases.

Ceaselessly for the people's cause let us struggle,

Let us hasten to the battlefield!

Forward! All together advancing!

Our Vietnam is strong, eternal.

Soldiers of Vietnam, we go forward!

The gold star of our flag in the wind

Leading our people, our native land, out of misery and suffering.

Let us join our efforts in the fight for the building of a new life.

Let us stand up and break our chains.

For too long have we swallowed our hatred.

Let us keep ready for all sacrifices and our life will be radiant.

Ceaselessly for the people's cause let us struggle,

Let us hasten to the battlefield!

Forward! All together advancing!

Our Vietnam is strong, eternal.

These are not the words I remember.
Trying to find those we saw last night.

03-18-13, 10:22 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
I found it:

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/tv/bal-amazing-race-recap-vietnam-or-bust-20130318,0,459682,full.story

Vietnam Communist party is glorious

The light is guiding us to victory

Long live independence and freedom of our nation

Our land does not forget the truth in your name

Vietnam, we are going to the century of light

Socialism is growing more beautiful with time

Follow the party's step, be loyal, be pure

Although the path has been muddy with rain and dusty with sun

Vietnam, spring has come!

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-13, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
SLAP - Whoever allowed Phil to the mat wearing his pajama shirt.
Shallow, but it had to be said.

03-19-13, 11:28 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Production: Claps & Slaps"
In many ways, I agree. I'm close to the same age as vennui (Class of '75) so many of my memories of that time would be similar. Same feelings about visiting the B-52 site. Both events stuck me as on the far side of comfortable.

However, a good friend & colleague of mine was born in Vietnam, coming to the US at age 9 in 1980. He still remembers hiding in the forest during bombing raids and classroom lectures on the brilliance of Ho Chi Min. (He doesn't watch TAR so had no input on the content.)

On the positive side, the Pho adventure was brilliant.

03-25-13, 10:47 AM (EST)
42. "Botswana"
I can't seem to get out of neutral this week.

No hand movement Easier to apologize after than see what you might be doing wrong before, isn't it?

No hand movement Some attempt was made to treat the bushmen with dignity. Part of the sabotage made against that attempt was done by the bushmen. The species is the same all over -- jokes behind the backs of foreigners included.

Slap Not a whole lot of purpose to that Roadblock as far as Racer actions were concerned. Dig a hole for a variable duration to an unknown depth, then sit back and watch. Unless you personally enjoy hand flapping on the Olympic level, all we got was a very incomplete lesson in African plains survival. The scorpion is your best friend? Why? Oops, time for more hysterics: look it up yourself.

No hand movement The Detour wasn't as unbalanced as it might have appeared on first glance: it's strength and reflexes versus intelligence and manual dexterity: just go wherever you're more comfortable. We're just used to seeing people not make fire, typically three days later in the week.

No hand movement I will do you the favor of assuming there was a plan in place should the visiting Americans continue to admire an approaching lion as if it was a particularly fine piece of animation. And that it wasn't 'Leave her there to find out for herself and whatever happens, keep filming.'

03-25-13, 12:25 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Botswana"
Clap - some of the scenes were reminiscent of 'The Gods Must Be Crazy', one of my all-time favourite movies, especially the part where a N!xau-lookalike jumped up into the tree upon seeing a lion, while leaving one of the country singers to fend for herself. I suppose that passes for entertainment around there, watching furriners potentially get eaten.

Some of the locals certainly looked like relatives of the late N!xau.

03-25-13, 01:56 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Botswana"
I'm assuming the fire is strength and reflexes. In which case, I would've gone with intelligence and manual dexterity -- in other words, Fowl.

Which reminds me -- you know you've watched too much Survivor when you take one look at the Detour options and go with Fowl because you know making fire from nothing is hard just from watching too many Survivor contestants struggle with it!

03-25-13, 06:49 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Botswana"
SLAP - What was with the Travel Agent Guard?

CLAP - Kalahari Bushmen in the Range Rovers. Priceless.

Comment - I'll reserve the term "no hand movement" to our dear hostess' use. However, the apology struck me as genuine and somewhat unusual because they said "...were offensive..." rather then the standard "...may have been offensive...". By saying it this way, EPBvM admitted he was wrong, and probably knew he was wrong from the beginning.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-13, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Botswana"
>SLAP - What was with the
>Travel Agent Guard?

I assumed he was part of the task of solving the destination clue...sort of a safeguard to ensure that teams didn't buy tickets to Brazil or something...

03-26-13, 06:12 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Botswana"
Slap - ensuring that no teams bought tickets to Brazil or something.

03-29-13, 12:51 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Botswana"
Which brings to mind -- has a team ever gone to the wrong country? I mean actually bought tickets and flew -- I know teams have "thought" wrong but were rescued at the last minute.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-13, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Botswana"
I believe it did happen in the first or second season.

04-01-13, 09:31 AM (EST)
50. "Botswana II"
*!SLAP!* Are you willing to bet your life that you got all the crocodiles out and away from the river before that Fast Forward hit? Not their lives. Yours. The Wednesday competition just lost a player: don't be so eager to match that record.

Slap For those wondering why Caroline & Jennifer couldn't split up at the police station: it's a course rule. If they're not separated by a Roadblock, teammates must stay within a certain distance (typically less than fifty yards) of each other at all times. This was clearly a case where an exception needed to be made. If not for the helpfulness and honesty of a local, they could have wound up eliminated by an invisible bungee cord.

No Hand Movement However, adherence to local traffic laws is a problem belonging strictly to the Racers. Revenue-raising speed traps aren't friendly in any jurisdiction, but ticketed teams are in no way the fault of Production. (There is a question of why immediate payment had to be made and not, say, after Pit Stop check-in, but the teams really had no way of knowing whether they'd jump nations mid-leg. And the government might not travel-clear anyone with an active fine.)

Clap Racers driving themselves. Oh, the hilarity. My, the number of people who can't follow or take direction. Gee, that poor wounded telephone pole.

Slap Arguably poor editing during the transit delay sequences. The early suggestions had teams being hung up for something that could have been hours: catch-up time showed others barely halfway across the river, if that. It had reached the point where I was almost expecting an All Night Long makeup: it may have been about twenty minutes.

Clap Animal antics which didn't risk fatalities. It took me a while to decide where to place the donkey branch of the Detour, but I'll give you this one in the name of comedy: the only thing harder than making a donkey cooperate is getting an honest edit out of a reality producer. Credit is also given for allowing the normally-sitting Racer to lightly participate in the Roadblock by turning them into waterborne goat restraints, as it probably saved a few goat lives --

-- from crocodile attack.

04-01-13, 02:48 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Botswana II"
No hand movement: Being stuck at the police station. The copper told them the amount in local currency, and they brought US dollars to the station. They could have saved themselves time and worry by following directions.

04-03-13, 03:22 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Botswana II"
CLAP More marvelous scenery.

SLAP We see one team's trials and tribulations with the local constabulary, but another is just in-and-out (the tail fender boo-boo was post cops).

CLAP Ditto to the goat-minder application. (and double ditto to the goat that peed...)

SLAP Quintuple ditto to the lets-swim-with-crocs adventure.

>>missing siggie<<

04-15-13, 10:44 AM (EST)
53. "Switzerland"
Slap Forget the gnome. This entire *#$%@$! @#$% of an episode was actually brought to you by Swiss Rail: We're Going Somewhere, But The Next Four Segments Aren't. Alfred Hitchcock presents: Teams On A Train. And then another train. Followed by yet another train. And then there may have been some more trains, but by that point, the only person still interested was Sheldon Cooper. So many shots of semi-lit tunnel interiors, you'll swear you're playing Half-Life and alien ambush? Would have been a mercy. Is this an hour of CBS airtime or a loading screen? Apparently it's both. Because thrilling scenes of being stuck in airports just weren't thrilling enough any more. Whoever laid out the course for this leg should be forced to travel it for the amount of real time it took in subjective. See you in thirteen years.

Slap The Switchback was mostly a failure. The snow arguably added too great a degree of ascent difficulty: teams shouldn't be at risk of injury just from approaching a task. And then it slowed everything up on the way back down. Losing the local audience took out the rest of the flavor, and all we had left was bland snow and chilled cheese.

Slap Um... Detour, anyone? Oh, wait: had to squeeze in another fifty-eight tunnel shots. Gee, someone's got a Freudian problem.

No Hand Movement There's a certain degree of accomplishment to a tunnel and observation port carved into a mountain, or would have been if we hadn't seen the first part fifty-seven times before getting there.

Clap Nothing can screw up the local scenery.

The local outdoor scenery.

No, this does not mean exterior shots of the train.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-13, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Switzerland"
What a poorly-designed leg.

Slap Bunch points. Bunch on the flight to Switzerland. Bunch at the rail station. Miss your train connection? No problem, there's another bunch point waiting for the messenger to deliver the clue. And still more train bunching afterwards.

Slap Linear leg with few passing opportunities. In addition to the many bunch points, teams had to line up for the high-altitude traverse. (Joey and Meghan got stuck behind slower-than-molasses Wynona.) And the rolling cheese task also had built-in queueing, as Katie held up the line for everyone to climb the snow-covered mountain.

Slap Insufficient equipment for cheese task. Couldn't they have provided safer/proper footwear for mountain climbing in knee-deep snow?

Slap No detour.

Slap Arbitrary penalty to Chuck and Wynona for cheese rolling. Though I won't miss watching them, that was an arbitrary philimination.

Token golf clap Beautiful alpine scenery.

04-15-13, 04:30 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Switzerland"
Ironically, in game design, this kind of player ferrying is known as railroading.

04-15-13, 05:25 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Switzerland"
I was wondering about that traverse - why did Meghan and Joey have to wait for Wynona? Once the other teams were finished the other path would have been free, and they should have been able to use it.

olathejoe 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-16-13, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
57. "RE: Switzerland"
I'm not positive and wasn't paying that close attention, but I'm guessing there were X number of nomes at each traverse point, and the others were takens so they had to wait for Wynnona.

04-22-13, 08:04 AM (EST)
58. "Berlin"
Clap And never was an Hours Of Operation sign to be seen. All Night Long legs: the cure for too many bloody trains. Grab more coffee and keep moving.

No Hand Movement On the one hand, teams driving themselves in a completely unfamiliar city is just entertaining. On the other, you know the leg winner prizes have become predictable when teams start calling them off in advance upon seeing their overly promoted vehicle. Maybe it's time to get a car curse.

Clap Not providing a model for the model train Detour branch allowed the teams to not only exercise their creativity, but screw themselves over in new and exciting ways. (Minor subtraction for not bringing in some Gomez Addams sound effects.) The goal was also simple enough not to require a judge: get all the way around the track once -- and so didn't suffer from the subjectivity of other tasks.

Slap At some point, teams presented with a question to answer should be forced to not get the answer from those around them. Say, immediate passage for knowing it yourself and a twenty-minute penalty if you had to ask bystanders? Idiocy needs a price.

Slap Utterly predictable NEL.

No Hand Movement The only challenge which seemed to be involved in the post-editing Roadblock was testing the Racer's tolerance for new things. The actual labyrinth seemed to come down to stumbling forward and remembering to look up. This isn't a Slap due to the vaguely interesting setting, but still -- really linear.

04-22-13, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Berlin"
Slap Major edit fail-- if the clue required the teams to travel to Dresden by train, why did we see a Lufthansa jet taxiing up to an airport jetway?

Slap Remind me why the teams went to Dresden? To pick up their Ford Fusions for the drive to Berlin?

Slap Apparently knowledge of basic history isn't part of pre-Race talent screening.

Clap Both detour choices in Berlin highlighted quirky things about the city and area.

04-22-13, 10:12 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Berlin"
LAST EDITED ON 04-22-13 AT 10:28 AM (EST)

Slap Dresden and Berlin -- two cities with a lot of history behind them. Why not have Mr. Voice Over give us a little lesson? (Other than the five second clips of Kennedy and Reagan that is).

No hand movement I don't have the techie know-how to post a screen capture, but I'm sure we had a brief glance at a screen with answer choices -- the question on "Who said 'Tear down this wall!'" -- and one of the choices was "The Brandenberg Gate in Berlin".

son of No Hand Movement The Ford Sync™ system has voice recognition -- so why not accept a verbal answer?

Clap A museum of letters. (with an accompanying tap on the wrist to the Hockey Boyz for apparently abandoning their neon letters on the streets of Berlin).

eta one more Slap Just what was that Native Greeter "wearing"?

Seana did another one.

04-22-13, 10:53 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Berlin"
It looked like a portable food serving cart. I didn't get a good look at what was in it, but the offside glance made the contents seem vaguely pretzelish.

04-22-13, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: Berlin"
I believe it was a tray of frankfurters and buns. Didn't notice if the inventory changed as more teams checked in.

Don't know if this is a slap/clap or NHM, but how the heck did the hockey brother lose his back pack on the train? Seems to me there are a limited number of suspects and they are all locked in.....so keep searching and get the train conductor involved. Obviously it's not as importent now as when the race started, but I just thought it was weird, especially with all the cameras running.

04-22-13, 02:54 PM (EST)
63. "RE: Berlin"
I agree Joe.
but I guess maybe the cameramen go to sleep too.

04-22-13, 02:55 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Berlin"
Yeah I wondered about that as well. I think Bates may have realized after a while that he left it back at the ticket counter or on the station platform before leaving ... but there was no mention about a passport situation, so it seems they had their passports stashed on themselves. Bates seems to be the very easy-going type who would shrug off a loss of a backpack without going into histrionics like 80% of other racers would.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-13, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
65. "RE: Berlin"
I wonder if he just forgot where he put it.

I thought they did one of those "if only the idiot would look at the spot where the camera is pointed as I have carefully framed the clue box dead center shots" aimed at a backpack in one of the overhead racks.

But I could have been reading too much into the shot of the backpacks on the rack.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-13, 11:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
67. "RE: Berlin"
I thought the same thing when they panned over the backpacks in the rack.

04-23-13, 01:45 AM (EST)
68. "RE: Berlin"
Ah, I must have missed that panning over with the camera while I was looking down typing on the keyboard at a certain moment during the East Coast spoiler thread!

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-13, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "RE: Berlin"
>but there was no mention about a
>passport situation, so it seems
>they had their passports stashed
>on themselves.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I heard him say that he still had his passport, so he was ok.

04-22-13, 10:49 PM (EST)
66. "RE: Berlin"
The train didn't look like an express, so I think it had stopped and they probably assumed the person who took it left.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-13, 01:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
69. "RE: Berlin"
MAJOR SLAP UPSIDE THE HEAD - Ford. STOP WRECKING MY SHOWS WITH YOUR STUPID PRODUCT PLACEMENT!!! Really, what was the purpose of the "Tear down this wall!" quote if there was no time penalty for not knowing it?

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-13, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
70. "RE: Berlin"
Because having a car that can ask you trivia questions is a must!

04-29-13, 07:21 AM (EST)
72. "Scotland"
Clap Well, this took forever. What kept you?

Clap Not the worst possible tour of the area, with several locations visited, no Hours Of Operation signs, and the Ford commercial was limited to the episode's outset. We moved around, teams drove themselves, and got to look at more than a single airport parking lot. Decent course design for the overall leg.

Slap So not only do we have to make the haggis and eat the haggis, but we have to listen to a poem about the haggis. It's a wonder no one's ever declared genocidal war on Scotland just to wipe out the cuisine.

Slap A double U-Turn on this leg is basically allowing the front of the pack to name their poison for the finals.

Slap Oh, the many fascinating places we went. Oh, the zero seconds of screen time dedicated to telling the viewers why those places were important. Shall we have some more haggis poem instead? We shall? Lovely.

Slap Bagpipes? I'm sorry, but when did this turn into Torture The Viewership week and move to NBC?

Cuisine. Cuisine and music. Arm the nukes.

04-29-13, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
73. "RE: Scotland"
Clap - the overall editing has not been as obviously pointing to the winning team as last season.

Slap - for giving us some of the blandest yet somehow still unlikable teams ever.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

04-29-13, 01:06 PM (EST)
74. "RE: Scotland"
Clap More beautiful scenery. This has definitely been the most photogenic season ever.

Clap As long as the driving environment is reasonably safe, I'm always a fan of teams driving themselves around, as it eliminates the taxi lottery.

No hand movement Cash prizes for winning a leg? Guess the producers are running short on giveaway sponsors after 22 seasons.

Slap Not a fan of the U-Turn. Especially not a fan of the double U-Turn. Make it stop!

Slap For an entire cast of weak teams. If there's another all-star season, none of these teams make the list.

04-29-13, 03:34 PM (EST)
75. "RE: Scotland"
Clap - Haggis, Whisky, the Pipes and Rabbie Burns can there be anything better in life? Sadly Haggis is Illegal in the USA so you cannot try the food of the Gods

Clap - Sticking to the Lowlands, it's beautiful but often gets overlooked

Just for Estee

O ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak the low road,
An' I'll be in Scotland afore ye;
But me and me true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomon'

04-29-13, 03:42 PM (EST)
76. "RE: Scotland"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-13 AT 03:48 PM (EST)

CLAP with an accompanying high-five to our brother from across the pond Yes, Pipes, Whisky, and Haggis make for a wonderful event. (Oh, and Robbie Burns -- learned about him from the knee of my maternal grandfather -- born in Dundee.)

SLAP Should have seen more adventures of driving on the wrong side of the road.

CLAP Finally -- a native greeter gets some decent screen time.

SLAP Count me in with the anti-Double U-Turn crowd.

CLAP Wearing of the kilts -- and I know what a true Scotsman wears 'neath one.

Zounds! Agman dos’t make sig!

04-29-13, 05:15 PM (EST)
77. "RE: Scotland"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-13 AT 05:20 PM (EST)

Was Jekyll and Hyde originally written in Scotland? And that was more Phantom of the Opera makeup.

04-29-13, 07:10 PM (EST)
78. "RE: Scotland"
The author was Robert Louis Stevenson and I think he was Scottish, but I'm not sure.

04-29-13, 07:21 PM (EST)
79. "RE: Scotland"
Aye, he's an Edinburgh native, and he wrote Jekyll and Hyde a few years before he moved down to the South Pacific for his final years.

IanQuentin 101 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-07-13, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IanQuentin Click to send private message to IanQuentin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
80. "Finale"
I always liked reading these, but haven't seen any for the finale yet. Guess I'll start.

Clap New Final Destination city. Or at least Washington D.C. being a final city of any Amazing Race was new to me.

Clap I liked the whole thing with the "I Have A Dream" clue, particularly the person who came over as teams were getting there giving them a nice bit of history.

No Comment With the various bits of famous US history in this race (Vietnam, JFK, Reagan, MLK, etc), I'm surprised that the final memory task didn't have something to do with that.

Clap The entire Tray It portion of the detour. Great TV. Much better to watch than Spray It.

No Comment I've been to that area of Washington D.C. and several of those locations are within a couple of miles of each other. I would have liked to have seen the racers be forced to travel on foot at least once between destinations, so that taxi lottery doesn't overly control a team's fate.

Slap If you can't swap letters in Font Follies once you pick them up in Germany without starting over, you shouldn't be able to swap the server/preparer jobs for Tray It in Ireland without starting over.

SLAP A search task based on pure luck on the final leg? Ugh. I did like the switchback, but it was far too arbitrary for a final leg.

Wishful Thinking I hope in one race, the racers start out the final leg having to hand over all of their possessions and notes, except their money. Everybody keeps notes now. Part of the fun of the final legs were watching teams trying to remember stuff.

05-07-13, 05:06 PM (EST)
81. "RE: Finale"
I was waiting for Estee to begin this, I am glad someone did.

Northern Ireland

Clap - The Tray It detour was great. A bit of history, physically challenging and a mental puzzle to figure out. All Detours should be so well designed.

Slap - It didn't affect the outcome but why was the guy at the bog site allowed to tell Jennifer what she was doing wrong? This is the first time I have ever seen that on the Race, usually once a team member starts a task, the locals at the venue stand silently while watching the racers do things wrong.

Clap - The Pit Stop was beautiful.

Washington D.C.

SLAP!! - a big slap for a poorly designed final leg. Very little room for teams to change position - it was station to station without a really challenging task to stump any of the teams. This is the leg for one million dollars, it should be the hardest.

Slap - At Nationals stadium, there was only one zip line which means teams would exit in the exact order they arrived. There should be an opportunity to move up.

Slap - Since production knows all the teams take comprehensive notes awaiting the final leg, they should account for that and surprise them.

Slap - The briefcase task could very easily be manipulated to allow the producers to decide who gets their briefcase and when.

Clap - Washington DC was a great choice for the Finale.

Overall

Clap - the locations this season were better than they have been for several seasons. This was a return to the way it was in the beginning where the destinations made you want to book a trip.

A Light Tap - This season's teams were a little dull but I did appreciate that they seemed like average people not rejects from other reality shows.

Check Into The Boards - Anthony & Bates, you just won The Amazing Race and a million dollars, you could show a little more enthusiasm.

05-08-13, 04:44 PM (EST)
85. "RE: Finale"
I believe I saw three lines across the top of the stadium and assumed they were there in case all three teams were there a the same time. I already deleted it off the dvr, but I'm pretty sure there were three. If there was only one line I assume they would have to take a shot and if they missed, the next team would get a shot and so on.

05-11-13, 10:40 AM (EST)
86. "RE: Finale"
At first I thought the same but I hit rewind and looked - only one zip line. I thought maybe they planned to have teams switch if two teams were there together but then it seemed to me that for safety reasons they wouldn't constantly be unbuckling and rebuckling the racer.

05-08-13, 12:12 PM (EST)
82. "RE: Finale"
I had trouble with the DVR and didn't see the entire episode: I didn't want to go guessing at the full structure. Thanks for launching this.

Agreed on the wishful thinking. 'You took notes? Fine. Now we'll do the same.'

stlouisfan76 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-08-13, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stlouisfan76 Click to send private message to stlouisfan76 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
83. "RE: Finale"
Claps - the locations this year were spectacular. The photos were awesome - loved them all.

Claps - this season's contestants (with a couple of exceptions)- they ran the race well. There were no truly ugly incidents AND, most importantly, seemed to be much more respectful to the residents from the various countries.

Claps - the winners - nice humble guys.

Slaps - way too many bunching points

Claps - Caroline & Jennifer, usually I want to hate on beautiful blondes as airheads or narcissistic - they were neither. They had a great time and are true friends and it showed.

Claps - Washington DC as the final destination. What a nice way to end.

Slaps - the Detour of finding a "spy". While I am happy the hockey brothers won - it was way to random and felt like it could be manipulated towards one team.

SLAPS - that silly "meet the President" thing. The racers get excited and then the stupid picture - ugh!!!

Overall it was a great season - can't wait for it to return.

05-08-13, 01:29 PM (EST)
84. "RE: Finale"
Clap Location - Location - Location. I've been to several of those spots in DC, including the MLK site and Mt. Vernon. (Plus the starting line at Griffith Observatory).

Slap Timing. The Titanic adventure should have been last year. 101st anniversary celebrations are just weird.

High Five & Fist Pump To earlier posters for comments on history, switchback, and note taking.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •