The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NBC: where suspense is dead."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Biggest Loser Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-24-09, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NBC: where suspense is dead."
Remember when it was a challenge to pick out tiny scraps of information from previews? Some people here go back far enough to remember when a network didn't give out the entire episode in a twenty-second trailer. Weren't those days a lot more interesting than what the peacock's trying to give us now?

How little content does any given episode of BL contain? So little that the essential plotline not only can be captured in a third of a minute -- but the network feels it must be in order to keep anyone watching at all.

Here's the State Of The Spoiling for the upcoming airdate: there are two teenagers on the show. One of them is guaranteed to be removed from the season. Judging from the scenes at the scales, this is probably not due to injury (which would be the only possible suspense left). If only one teen winds up in the bottom two, that's who goes home and all doubt, suspense, and drama are removed from the episode. If they both fall below the yellow line, then we already know who's up for elimination -- turning all attempts to create drama during the workout sequences, weigh-in, and whatever nervous breakdown Bob's going through this week into a completely pointless exercise.

A weight loss competition revolving around completely pointless exercises. I suppose that's meant to be ironic.

To read a book when you know how the story ends before ever touching a page, you have to respect the craftsmanship of the work. You have to. NBC's Department Of Infinite Monkeys never got the memo.

The current master editing model for every NBC reality show: Deal Or No Deal. You may now be sick.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Suspense is dead. Or is it? WhiteHot 01-24-09 1
 RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. aquariaqueen 01-25-09 2
 RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. suzzee 01-25-09 3
   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. zazzy 01-29-09 22
 RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. samboohoo 01-26-09 4
   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Breezy 01-26-09 5
       RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Ahtumbreez 01-26-09 6
       RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Starshine 01-26-09 7
           RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Breezy 01-26-09 8
               RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Starshine 01-26-09 9
                   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Breezy 01-26-09 10
                       RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Starshine 01-26-09 11
                           RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. jbug 01-26-09 12
                               Yes. newsomewayne 01-27-09 14
                           RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Breezy 01-26-09 13
                               RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. newsomewayne 01-27-09 15
                                   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Breezy 01-27-09 16
                                       RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. samboohoo 01-27-09 18
 RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. MKitty 01-27-09 17
   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. Starshine 01-27-09 19
       RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. MKitty 01-27-09 20
   RE: NBC: where suspense is dead. true 01-28-09 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

WhiteHot 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-24-09, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail WhiteHot Click to send private message to WhiteHot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Suspense is dead. Or is it?"
If Orange and Brown team don't fall below together then I guess the arguement is mute.

But I have a sneaky feeling that the twist could be 'Silver team'. The numbers would show that if it were between Orange and Brown then Brown has the numbers to be safe. But Jillian's Green, Black, Yellow and Orange team saved Joelle last week and she might feel gratitude and jump to Jillians 'team', possibly saving Team Orange.

I haven't 'crunched' the numbers, so Im not sure if this is possible. But we all know there's footage we're not shown. Maybe Bob's team made Silver team so ostracized that she jumped ship and teamed with the others. Stranger things have happened.

IM really curious to see what the fallout will be. Bob's team has to be upset that they lost Damien and are stuck with Joelle.

Is this the season that Jillian has the 'villain' players?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-25-09, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Maybe it was just someone's dream.

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-25-09, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Thinking out loud I wonder how many people tune in to BL for the honest to goodness help with their weight issues and how many tune in for the "reality game show" aspect. I never really watched it for the game play side but reading comments from last season's Icky Vicki saga (I didn't watch last season, but I have seen previous and current seasons) I'm sort of glad I missed it.

I blather, what I'm saying is that by "spoiling" the episode in their promos do they take the game play issues off the table and try to turn it into a show about weight management or is that unrealistic. I have noticed that the product placement seems to have ramped up this season as compared to the season before the Vicki one. That could be the price of popularity and unfortunately it's taking some of the shine off things. Game play is probably inevitable in order to keep yourself at camp as long as possible but I would like to see more practical tips other then one has to work out 8 hrs a day or eliminate anything that might be considered unhealthy. I'm looking for a more realistic approach that I can really live with and day long workouts aren't going to be possible IRL. (I need an occasional fast food break, I'm only human)

I don't know, maybe not watching last season has made me notice the change in the show more, something is a bit off for me. I'm thinking I'll keep up with it for the remainder but I'm not sure I'll feel like buying in to the product placement & huckstering for BL products, seems like they're trying too hard or something.

Fear and Loathing Tribe style 2008

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-29-09, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I think the product placement is the same as in year's past. I think we are more tired of it because the set-ups are the same--Bob comes into the kitchen and says "hey, eat this". Jillian hold up a package of gum or talks about water. Bob takes the crew to a Subway or whatever. We're bored because we've seen it before. The good stuff, like the chef showing how to make healthy meals segment spends too much time on other stuff and not enough on the actual meal. And we only get one meal.

I agree with those who complain about the show's pacing and edit. There is certainly lots they could show instead of the repititive "here's what just happened" filler. Like more meal suggestions from the chef! And trying to show that Joelle had a real chance against Helen in the challenge at the end--that was a stupid edit.

And Allison or whatever her name is--her pacing drives me nuts. She pauses after nearly every syllable or phrase. I, too, watch via DVR because I can not stand to watch it live.

I feel like we have even less development of players than in year's past. The show has had so much Joelle focus that is has obscured a lot of the other players.

In the past we have had Jillian do her "what's really behind all of this" discussions with her people--and this time she had motivated Tara, Blane, Mandy. Maybe their partners will bring her some challenges.

Can you imagine if Jillian had gotten Joelle?

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-09, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I agree.

We saw one preview way back before the season started where Daniel made a comment about "hopefully having the biggest weight loss ever." Have we seen him say that on any of the episodes yet? If not, maybe it applies this week, and he goes home.

*smooches Agman*

Breezy 18379 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-09, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
He said that in the first episode.

Here's what I don't get. There has to be a twist. Otherwise what's the problem with who to vote for? Vote off Brown-son and since Brown-dad is still there, he's back the next week anyway.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-09, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
First - I'm saying to Estee that I totally agree with you. I'm tired of having most of the episode pretty much handed to me in a 20 second clip.

Second - I said the same thing to Rob about Brown.

Agman took me to the islands

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-09, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I assumed that if Brown or Black were below the line both teammates would go

01-26-09, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Who's Black?

The previews show that the vote is between Brown-son and Orange-Dan. So not sure what you are trying to say.

01-26-09, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I'm just saying that as two couples (Brown and Black) are still being weighed together and sharing the percentage I had assumed that it would be the Brown team vs Orange-Dan, not just Brown-Son.

I mean if Orange gets kicked out effectively both team members are gone, so I assumed it would be the same for the Brown team.

01-26-09, 04:50 PM (EST)
10. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Orange only has one team member there right now. So no it's between Brown-son and Orange-Dan.

01-26-09, 05:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
LAST EDITED ON 01-26-09 AT 05:04 PM (EST)

I hate to disagree, but.

How is it decided that Brown son is on the block, when his individual weight doesn't decide which team goes below the line?

I'm saying that the vote is going to be between the Brown Team (including Brown son) and Orange team (which is only Dan at the moment)

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-09, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I understand what you're saying.
Forget the previews for a minute.
What if, say, it were the brown and black teams that fell below the line? Would a 'team' go home? or just one of one team?

The brown team is weighing in together. Their combined weight has been what has been counted. So if they fall below the line, they fall as a team; not as an individual. Unless of course they change something if brown or black goes below.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-09, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Yes."
What if, say, it were the brown and black teams that fell below the line? Would a 'team' go home?

Allison said as much during the last couple weigh ins. She said if a team (brown or black) is below the yellow line, then the team is subject to elimination, not a player from that team. This is supported by the fact that each team also votes as a team during the elimination, and does not receive one vote per member.

Fear the reaper.

01-26-09, 08:21 PM (EST)
13. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
As I said there must be a twist, cause otherwise why would the vote between Brown-son and Orange-Dan be hard to decide? The previews tell us it's Brown son so it must go by individual weight, again a twist.

newsomewayne 9065 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-09, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I disagree. It does not have to be a twist. As Allison has said before, if a team is below the yellow line, the team is up for elimination. Previews can say it is between Dan and Brown-son and still be truthful, even if in reality it is between Dan and Brown-team for elimination. Putting the two kids up for elimination makes it more dramatic, than Dan vs. Brown team.

It may be a twist, but it doesn't have to be.

Fear the reaper.

01-27-09, 12:06 PM (EST)
16. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Ok that's true, they can be just ignoring the father. Poor Dad.

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-09, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I think it's misdirection because the previews are only focussing on the two youngest contestants, even though Brown Boy is part of a team.

One of the two youngest people in the house will leave, and these two probably need it more than anyone else.

*smooches Agman*

MKitty 2975 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-27-09, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Yes, I can no longer watch this show "live" as I have to tape it on my PVR and then zoom through all the endless repetition and endless previews. GEe, do we really need to see what is coming up in THREE FRIGGIN MINUTES? Then, do you really need repeat the last minute that we saw, three minutes ago, between commercials, only start over again to only show us 5 minutes, before you go to yet another commericial, spend time showing us the what is coming up in three minutes, then repeat it back again when we come back?? ARGHGHGHGGH. And, yes, don't even get me started on the fact that they blow any suspence for EVERY FREAKIN' show by showing the entire twists and everything the week before in the previews?

Do they think that we are so lame and stupid that we cannot possibly handle any surprises? Why even bother to watch the show at all if they just show us everything? I find now, they try to do that "tricky editing" where they will show facial expressions that don't jive with reality just to throw us off....but now it's like: oh..if they show Bob grimacing, it could have been from two weeks ago and is not necessarily about the weigh in that is happening right now!

Yes, basically, the editors in this show need to be shot and hanged. Epecially the ones who edit and show the previews every five minutes...shot and hanged I say!!!

Whew..okay, rant over. Gee, that felt good to blow off some steam! LOL...

Birthday flowers from Agdude

01-27-09, 03:22 PM (EST)
19. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
Generally some nice person removes the ads for me, however I must agree the editing is a touch irritating.

Something or Other

MKitty 2975 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-27-09, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."

A touch irritating? Oh, Starshine, you are far, far too kind!

Tribe manga'd my mug

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-09, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: NBC: where suspense is dead."
I agree, if I didn't DVR this show I would never be able to watch it. It's almost as bad as The Bachelor. Both of those programs stretch an hours worth of material into 2 hours. If Survivor can have 2 challenges, lots of drama, and a vote off in one hour, so could Biggest Loser.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •