The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ratings for Kid Nation"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Kid Nation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Sunny_Bunny 5596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-28-07, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ratings for Kid Nation"
I thought you might all like to see how the show is faring ratings wise. Looks like the Taylor epic has captured new viewers.

Premier: 7.01 million viewers
Sept. 26: 7.6 million
Oct. 3: 7.51 million
Oct. 10: 7.01 million
Oct. 17: 7.41 million
Oct. 24: 8.03 million (which is pretty good when you consider that the ratings went up on a night when they had to compete with Game 1 of the world series)

numbers can be found here.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Yarr *gle* foonermints 10-28-07 1
 RE: Ratings for Kid Nation mattben 10-28-07 2
   RE: Ratings for Kid Nation Snidget 10-29-07 3
       summary writing mattben 10-29-07 4
           RE: summary writing Snidget 10-29-07 5
               RE: summary writing mattben 10-29-07 6
       RE: Ratings for Kid Nation syren 10-29-07 7
           RE: Ratings for Kid Nation Snidget 10-29-07 8
               RE: Ratings for Kid Nation foonermints 10-29-07 9
               RE: Ratings for Kid Nation syren 10-31-07 10
 RE: Ratings for Kid Nation SurvivaBear 11-01-07 11
   RE: Ratings for Kid Nation SurvivaBear 11-01-07 12
 This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation Sunny_Bunny 11-02-07 13
   RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... Sunny_Bunny 11-10-07 14
       RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... michel 11-11-07 15
           RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... true 11-11-07 16
               RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... Sunny_Bunny 11-12-07 17
                   RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... mattben 11-12-07 18
                       RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... Sunny_Bunny 11-13-07 20
           RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nati... joeyshox 11-13-07 19
 RE: Ratings for Kid Nation Sunny_Bunny 11-16-07 21
 Last weeks ratings - Sunny_Bunny 11-24-07 22
 RE: Ratings for Kid Nation Agman2 01-15-16 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

foonermints 13218 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-07, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Yarr *gle*"
Good!
Fishing Bird doesn't want the Vista Edition!

Fishing Bird has dial up. I wonder what Ben is doing?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

mattben 1265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-28-07, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mattben Click to send private message to mattben Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
LAST EDITED ON 10-28-07 AT 08:51 PM (EST)

That is an impressive rise against the Series. I'm liking the show's (and the kids') editorial growth, though not necessarily its politically correct subject matter of the week approach.

Maybe I'll finally write my long-promised summary this week.

Just to please Estee.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-07, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
{soapbox}If I may pontificate for a moment.

It isn't just about pleasing Estee, IMO. As someone that lurked here a long time primarily to read the summaries they are, again IMO, am important part of this website/community. I see it as a big responsibility and I know that if I fall through and do not produce a summary when I say I am I will be letting down a heck of a lot more people than just whomever happens to be organizing the summary sign-up thread.

One of the reasons for having people say they will write a summary and have them demonstrate they will keep that commitment on one of the "minor" shows before getting to do one over on TAR or Survivor is about the number of people, both those who post and those who just read, that you will be letting down. Showing that you can, in fact, follow through before being given an opportunity to do a Survivor or TAR summary is a reasonable prerequisite, again IMO.

For me sometime during the season of some show maybe doing a summary somewhere along the line doesn't really say much about you actually pulling through and doing a summary when you are given a specific week. Even if your summary writing is amazing, that you can't or won't do one when you say you will means you don't deserve a slot.
{/soapbox}

Back to the ratings. I do think it is a good show, but usually my taste in shows doesn't seem to be shared by a lot of people as many of the shows I like tend to get canceled. It is nice to see this show do well. I'm a bit concerned about how additional seasons would turn out (and if it grows during the season there usually are more seasons), or how many twists they'd have to put in place to keep some amount of freshness. All too often the added twists are way too lame for me.

Haunted by Tribe!

10-29-07, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mattben Click to send private message to mattben Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "summary writing"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-07 AT 11:47 AM (EST)

Snidget, in my defense there is no "official summary" schedule or roster for this show. I thought and mentioned about writing for ep. 1, but didn't get inspired. The only obligation to folks here was, well, zero. Just to my desire to be a DAW.

I'm an experienced writer and do produce on deadline when called upon. Methinks this show doesn't lend itself to a heavy snark factor in a summary -- more to VerucaSalt's type of analysis. It just doesn't look right to rag on kids who are trying.

Ratings:

I imagine the producers are imagining how to get a season two plotted. I haven't even investigated how many shows they have scheduled for this season. The ratings are good enough for them to be picked up, assuming they can get past child-labor, endangerment, and out of school complaints.

It seems difficult to me to replicate the freshness of the pioneering Bonanza City concept. They probably need a change of locale while still keeping the self-contained, self-sufficient civil organism idea. The kids' interactions will be different but similar, and I too worry about a descent into "twists" and "never before ..." things. This show doesn't have the complexity of Survivor's social and challenge dynamics. It's more about watching them interact and mature while dealing with benign "real adult world" responsibilities.

Maybe they could do "On The Lot" season 2 (or On The Stage Broadway), dividing their "districts" into different production and business elements. Run a campground, farm, fair, or amusement park. How do you design challenges into such a theme?

The big problem, I think, is keeping the danger element as close to zero as possible.

10-29-07, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: summary writing"
As someone who has run a summary schedule for a season the constant tease (even though there is no official summary for this show) is just something that would make me very wary about your always wanting to sign up, but never actually doing what needs to be done to get a slot.

The "joke", that is what it feels like to me, is getting kinda old and IMO it is time to either poop or get off the pot. My frustration with "joke" is what prompted the soapbox.

Some shows are more snarktastic than others and this having kids would effect how one does the summary, but the maybe I will if I might ever feel inspired just doesn't make me feel good about ever getting a summary slot. I would never know if you ever intended to follow through and I would want that slot to someone who actually wants one and cares about doing a good job of it.

I think changing the "town" could work to keep it fresh without having to go too twisty. You could do a "colony" rather than a frontier town or something like that, but there are a limited number of these sorts of things that might work. You get a similar here you are with all your supplies now make it work sort of set up out of that fairly easily. Having a different time period could lend to a different set of challenges that could work as well.

Haunted by Tribe!

10-29-07, 06:24 PM (EST)
6. "RE: summary writing"
Well, I won't toss out a thought about writing such a serious thing as a summary w/o intending to follow through again. Point taken.

Let's see what I produce for this Wednesday.

Would summarizing Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men count?

I almost know most of their names by now.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-07, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
Also to mention, when the summary was mentioned, wasn't it also noted that it was to be able to be considered for a survivor summary?

I know those are a big deal, and I would think that even though there was not a deadline or anything, or an official sign up thread, just saying you are going to do one and then never doing it could throw you out of the running for the very serious Survivor summaries.

10-29-07, 07:19 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
Oh gosh I seem to have overdone the serious thing.

Just I realize there are actual human beings out there and I know that when a summary doesn't arrive it matters to people. It may not seem like much to break one's word to a bunch of pixels on a screen. I think sometimes it is all too easy to forget there are actual people out there, not just disembodied screen names.

Haunted by Tribe!

If any of you are disembodied screen names I'm sorry if I insulted you by inferring you aren't as important as real people.

foonermints 13218 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-07, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
»If any of you are disembodied screen names I'm sorry if I insulted you by inferring you aren't as important as real people«

Good. That keeps me from floating away in a huff.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-07, 07:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
I was agreeing with you, and I wanted to mention the seriousness that some people take the Survivor summaries.

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-01-07, 03:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
I am glad that it is getting decent ratings, but I hope they do not ruin the second season. I concur with those that say using a different time period/historical setting would be sufficient. It may be fun to do a sci-fi/post-apocalyptic setting. j/k

Beware the Bear

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-01-07, 03:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
Some suggestions would be:

* a farm setting
* a medieval setting
* a woodsy, log cabin setting
* a Depression era setting with newsie costumes

They should probably avoid the whole lost desert island scenario, as it has been done to death. They should also avoid major changes in the way of twists. New challenges, changing the council rules or the manner of awarding the gold star - all fine, but don't totally change the game.

Beware the Bear

11-02-07, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
Well, this week saw a drop in the ratings, but it dropped for the other shows as well. While CBS won the night as a whole, ABCs Pushing up Daisies" beat Kid Nation's 8pm time slot.

Oct. 24: 8.03 million (which is pretty good when you consider that the ratings went up on a night when they had to compete with Game 1 of the world series)
Oct. 31: 7.86 million

Ratings can be viewed here.

11-10-07, 05:54 PM (EST)
14. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
Ratings dropped for cbs this week, it came in second overall - KN took a significant dip.

Nov. 7: 6.70M to 7.16M

View Ratings

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-07, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
That's the Taylor fans who left!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-07, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
I guess that I'm not the only one who thought Taylor carried this show. Deal with it!

11-12-07, 01:38 AM (EST)
17. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-07 AT 01:38 AM (EST)

I do think you are both on to something. Taylor as the villain works because she has such a strong personality. Divad as a villain isn't working because while she is annoying she doesn't have the "it" factor Taylor has.

This week there are elections again. Hopefully some will return to watch to see who ends up on the Council.

11-12-07, 05:59 PM (EST)
18. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-07 AT 06:00 PM (EST)

Divad doesn't make a bad villain because she lacks some cute and volatile IT factor. It's because she didn't do villainous things. Taking food from the kitchen and enhancing it isn't evil, it's creatively industrious. It's not like she stole from the general store. Working hard, getting injured by scalding grease with no show of comfort from others, and not being appreciated for your efforts isn't evil, it's just disrespectful by the other kids.

They'll find an antagonist soon.

11-13-07, 05:06 PM (EST)
20. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
That "it" factor does not necessarily mean "cute" Matt. "It" is that thing that makes an audience (and people around you in RL) gravitate toward you. Audiences didn't tune in to watch Taylor because she is beautiful, (although she is) they tuned in because of her forceful personality. It may be bratty, but you watch her to see what is going to come out of mouth next. Also, she may be a brat, but she is not without friends in Bonanza city.

Divad does not posses that certain something that makes an audience warm up to her nor does she seem to have people rallying around her in the town. I'm not saying she's being disrespected by the other kids, (overturning her stand definitely was) but if she has to nominate herself for the gold star and no one else is even considering her - then something is lacking in her people skills and the kids are not warming to her.

You are right though; she isn't evil, but then neither is Taylor.

joeyshox 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-13-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail joeyshox Click to send private message to joeyshox Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: This weeks Ratings for Kid Nation"
Agreed...the show jumped the shark when Taylor's feature left the show and the ratings are now tanking as a result!

However, I think her visability will start to increase again as her edit on the show turns around and she wins gold star on the finale!

11-16-07, 09:34 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
CBS came in first again for Wed. night, largely due to a huge group who tuned into watch Criminal Minds. However, Kid Nation was beaten in it's time slot by Pushing Daisies on ABC.

It will be interesting to see if the holiday lowers the viewing, or if the election will bring some viewers back to see certain council members get their just desserts.

Nov. 14: 6.70 to 7.53M

Ratings can be found here.

11-24-07, 11:41 AM (EST)
22. "Last weeks ratings - "
There was a slight rise this week, but not enough to affect the share. (4.3) Considering that Wednesday night was the big Thanksgiving travel rush, the show did pretty good, although for the 8pm time slot they were slightly beaten out by Pushing Daisies on ABC.

Oct. 24: 8.03 million
Nov. 14: 6.70 to 7.53M
Nov. 21: 7.42M to 7.78M

As ususal, ratings can be found here

Agman2 1585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-15-16, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Ratings for Kid Nation"
I just love your posts sunnybunny! Gets off soapbox!!!!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •