URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 976
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"American Idol is Rigged?"

Posted by SeacrestOut on 05-16-04 at 03:18 AM
There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether or not this contest is being manipulated by the producers of the show. I stand firm behind my convictions that there is no way the actual voting results are being changed or manipulated by the producers, but I was just curious as to what the majority of the posters on this site believe.
As the weeks go on and we get closer and closer to crowning the next "American Idol," do you think the producers are rigging the votes this year?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: American Idol is Rigged?"
Posted by Bellcruiser on 05-16-04 at 09:20 AM
I don't think it's rigged, however I do think they have gotten themselves into quite a pickle by allowing people to vote a zillion times apiece. A better way to vote would have been to put it on a website and have the public vote there. I've seen websites that allow you to vote only once from that IP address, so it could have easily been done that way.

Posted by ALIAS on 05-16-04 at 11:42 AM
I think FOX gets off on hearing "..And 20 million people voted" when in reality it's one million voting like 20 times each..LOL

As for it being Rigged..Who knows...I would think they would Rig it for a positive outcome..Rigging against Latoya is kind of stupid. I actually beleive The Producers got rid of John Stevens... Because they couldn't let that tragaty go on any longer...lol

I never beleived in public voting for these shows..Your basicly playing with fire half the time. ALOT of morons and idiots out there who think jasmine is the prettiest and well spend 2 minutes giving her 10-20 votes.

I think they all have to be graded be industry professonals..Simon, Paula an Randy and 3 others...thats 6 people who know what they are doing..The 7th person/tiebreaker should go to the previous weeks loser contestant. If they are serious about finding REAL artists instead of Circus acts then this is the way to go.

Posted by bob_chester on 05-16-04 at 07:01 PM
I disagree
What makes this show popular is the voting. A lot of morons and idiots buy CDs too. I won’t be buying this trash. But I love to watch the show and the reactions.

I question the credentials of the "Professionals” in the show anyway.

Paula is an expert at choreographing not singing. I am not saying she was a bad singer. Dancing, sex and cuteness sold her songs. Voice scan be enhanced when recording you know. Look at Hillary Duff.

Simon he is an executive in England, (Not a talent scout) A pretty ruthless one from what I hear. He has ruined more talent then developed it according to my friends in England. They are glad he is here.

And who the heck is Randy Jackson? Look him up he is a nobody.

Remember these were the people who told us that screaming like a cat (Jennifer Hudson) was good singing. Still people are too stubborn to admit that is was a scam and people continue saying she is talented. LOL This will make history, she might even get a recording contract out of the deal. Then all her fans will be able to get that CD cheap in the $1.99 bin in Kmart. Lol That is going to be so funny.

It is TV entertainment, if people like it they will watch it if not they will change the channel with the remote. There are other shows with so called Professionals.

Stay tuned it is going be more fun as this show finishes.

Posted by wildchickenhunter on 05-17-04 at 10:50 AM
Wasn't Randy Jackson part of the Jackson 5?

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

Posted by nailbone on 05-17-04 at 04:36 PM
*snicker*

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

Posted by Godd3ss on 05-17-04 at 08:59 AM
I agree that the voting is flawed, but why not let everyone vote 50,000 times for the person that the like. I think that they should open it to phone, web, and text messaging. They would probably get more like 100million votes then. This way everyone can get through. They could figure out a way to make it coast sensitive - like only give out the link on the TV or something. If someone wants to take the time to post it somewhere, then so be it. Either that or they need to get a lot more phone lines. I personally could care less. I dont vote - I dont care who wins - I just enjoy watching the show for entertainment value only. I dont listen to the radio and I dont buy CDs - so again, the outcome to me, doesnt matter.

Posted by okaychatt on 05-16-04 at 11:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-04 AT 11:54 AM (EST)

No. If they were, the better singers would still be here, and Jasmine would be gone. That would allow for a nail biting finale like last year's between Ruben and Clay. The judges made it obvious they did not want Jasmine in the finals.

As Simon is always saying, "When you let America vote, you get America's choice."

Agreed - except I'm not convinced a majority of Americans want Jasmine in the finals. I think it's more of an unlimited right to vote for your favorite. Jasmine may have more dedicated fans that vote endlessly. Good for her and good for them. Bad for AI.

Record sales will tell the real story. I doubt her individual fans will buy more than one copy each of her CD when it comes out. Our own front page news on Reality TV World says, " 'American Idol 3' CD sells only 55% of 'Idol 2' units in debut but places #10." That says something is wrong with this season:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=2542

We won't need to watch WB's new Superstar USA. We've already had the experience.

Posted by qwertypie on 05-16-04 at 07:26 PM
We won't need to watch WB's new Superstar USA. We've
already had the experience.

You said it before I could!

La Vida es un Tango!

Posted by okaychatt on 05-16-04 at 09:40 PM
GMTA.

Posted by broodgal on 05-16-04 at 10:06 PM
I doubt the producers got rid of LaToya. I think they wanted a LaToya and Fantasia showdown.

Posted by seahorse on 05-17-04 at 09:28 AM
I am almost positive that the show results are not rigged. It would be very hard to keep it from coming out to the public if the shows results were manipulated in any way. The show does very well in the ratings, it is Fox's highest rated show. Why would they take the chance of harmfing their most successful show, by rigging the votes.

Anyway what is gained by removing a consensus judge's favorite, La Toya, from the show.

Remember this is a popularity contest and the contestant with the most hard core fans (those that will spend two hours hitting redial for their choice to win) will do the best. This is especially true when it takes some effort to get votes counted, ie. there are many busy signals where votes are not counted.

Posted by geg6 on 05-17-04 at 10:36 AM
Apparently, there is serious speculation that AI is being rigged...but not by the producers. I saw report on the Today Show this morning that had serious journalists talking about a conspiracy among Internet gambling sites/users setting up computer calling systems to make numerous votes and tying up the lines. It also discussed the problems with text messaging versus calling in a vote. It seems that there is not enough capacity in the phone system, especially with the computer generated calling by the gambling interests, for REAL callers to get through and that there is a better likelihood of text messagers getting their votes counted than the general public who are more likely to call in votes. This makes much more sense than the idea that the producers would manipulate the vote, because it would be bad for the show if they were and the public found out and because they really do want to get record sales from the winner. I think they must sincerely want a good performer for the winner. But the scum that run the gambling interests are only interested in getting the results they want to keep people gambling.

Posted by Olena on 05-17-04 at 03:38 PM
rigged i think not real blame is on the voters i am proud of were i am from (hawaii) but come on people stupid votes for someone who is not ready to be up there some day she will be but for now she's not.

Posted by nailbone on 05-17-04 at 04:38 PM
Punc.tu.a.tion.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-