URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 973
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Survivor Scandal - are those words redundant?"

Posted by Ronnet on 02-20-02 at 11:24 AM
Rumors rumors rumors....

Survivor: Africa champ Ethan Zohn may want to hold off on cashing his $1 million check! Internet scuttlebutt has it that an alleged mistake in one of the last Immunity Challenges may have drastically altered the game's outcome. See, when asked which female player has no body piercings, Kim J. won by answering "Kelly." Turns out, when Lex answered "Lindsay," he may also have been right! Hence, the ultimate voting would've been thrown off dramatically. Web wags say this led Survivor to quietly pay monetary settlements to two of the contestants. Numerous calls to CBS have not been returned.

<giggle>

http://www.tvguide.com/newsgossip/inthenews/020220.asp#B

Go Jamaica!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Lindsey w/ tongue stud?"
Posted by Komodo on 02-20-02 at 11:54 AM
Somebody on one of the boards posted a picture of Lindsey sticking her tongue out to reveal a very prominent tongue stud. I seem to recall that myself. If this is true, how come that doesn't count as a piercing?

Anyhow, does anyone have a copy of the episode where they drank the cow's blood? I hate to put you through that ordeal again, but it might be dispositive.

"Sounds about right to me"
Posted by Weems on 02-20-02 at 12:09 PM
Ronnet, good find.
It sounds like it has a lot of truth to it because Jeff Probst was counting on the fact that all the information he had gathered about the Survivors was absolutely correct. Maybe they were embarrassed about their piercings and didn't want to talk about them until they found out it was important.

Komodo, tongue piercing is the most painful type of piercing to get. Lindsey doesn't seem like the type to me to endure that kind of piercing, but I could see her getting a belly button piercing.

I like this story because Lex got some extra money and Ethan was shown to be a questionable winner.

"RE: Sounds about right to me"
Posted by heymikey on 02-20-02 at 10:47 PM
>>> I like this story because Lex got some extra money and Ethan was shown to be a questionable winner.

Totally agree with you. Ethan never really deserved to win. Lex should have won!

"RE: Sounds about right to me"
Posted by Weems on 02-21-02 at 10:54 AM
>Totally agree with you. Ethan
>never really deserved to win.
> Lex should have won!

HeyMikey, I like it. We see eye to eye on this one.
If anyone can explain what Ethan did to win besides do an impression of Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There" please tell me.

On the other hand, Lex was well liked and a camp leader, a fighter to the end, and did everything he could to win everything in sight. Lex deserved the money more.

"I'm confused now"
Posted by dabo on 02-20-02 at 12:04 PM
Does this mean that Kelly is not a virgin or that Lindsey is? Ethan should just sleep with them both to protect his winnings.

"RE: Survivor Scandal - are those words redundant?"
Posted by FesterFan1 on 02-20-02 at 01:45 PM
Jeez! What the hell has happened to common-sense officiating this year. First the fumble-that-"wasn't"-a-fumble, then skate-gate '02, and now this?!

dabo? Where's dabo? I want to retroactively change my S3 gufu of the year award vote to the genius(es) who wrote the questions for that challenge. How hard is this job, really? Here's an idea, why not just stay away from questions that have ANY GRAY AREA WHATSOEVER. What, there wasn't enough info in the dossiers? Hell, Greg's "pick-a-number game" would have been a better choice than that question.

That's it, I'm going to start watching the WWF. At least I know that's fixed going in.

Fester

"LOL Fester!"
Posted by dabo on 02-20-02 at 02:35 PM
And change of vote noted.

Honestly, I don't know how this scandal really got going, but it is one of the most laffable deserves to be bashed scandals ever to hit Survivor. Earlier we heard that the debate was raging because Kelly had had her naval pierced while in high school or something; I suppose the flame-fanners eventually realized that her piercing had closed and the question was worded in present-tense-only, so they had to find some other way to keep it alive. Not that I'm knocking Roni for reporting it, especially since here on bashers is where it belongs. Thank you, Roni!

There's no real controversy here that I can find, let's just laff at the flame-fanners and have a good time with it.

And it was a dumb question anyway.

Posted by dangerkitty on 02-20-02 at 02:18 PM
Lindsey did so have a piercing, she was pierced in the ass by a tick.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-20-02 at 02:42 PM
>Lindsey did so have a piercing, she was pierced in the
>ass by a tick.

LOL very true... I think she was also pierced in the brain, how else to explain the vacuous moments and one-liners she uttered in the show?

I also think she had a pierced tampon/liner/whatever on that first day in Africa.

Posted by landruajm on 02-26-02 at 09:20 PM
OOF! DK, I totally love you when you make me snort water through my nose.

So much more than a sentient computer.

Posted by Bebo on 02-20-02 at 02:40 PM
Sounds like they settled it, though, since they paid Tom and Lex the 2nd place prize money:

SURVIVOR SCANDAL: A CBS spokesperson confirms that Survivor: Africa producers committed a major gaffe during the second-to-last Immunity Challenge that may have altered the show's outcome — leading the network to pay three contestants as second-place winners. Here's the scoop: When asked which female player has no body piercings, Kim J. won by answering "Kelly." Turns out, when Lex answered "Lindsay," he also was right! As a result, CBS awarded $100,000 each to runner-ups Lex and Tom. The first and second-place winners — runner-up Kim J. and $1 million champ Ethan Zohn — will keep their winnings. "It was an honest mistake," the rep tells TV Guide Online, "and the producers feel horrible."

TV Guide has updated the text since this was first posted to include the outcome.

Bebo

"Thanks, Bebo, and Thanks Again, Roni"
Posted by dabo on 02-20-02 at 03:28 PM
Guess I spoke too soon in the above post. Oh well, it happens. Stoopid writers on S3 should have checked their facts, or just come up with a better question. And, yeah!, Tom can buy some more goats and Lex can buy some more tattoos! Or maybe they can combine their windfall and buy some tattooed goats somewhere!

Posted by AyaK on 02-20-02 at 03:57 PM
Here is an article (with the missing details) about this blunder from today's zap2it.com:

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?24010

'Survivor' Snafu Leads to Payout for Two Players
Wed, Feb 20, 2002 11:45 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - A goof-up by the producers on the set of "Survivor: Africa" has led to two contestants being $100,000 richer and fans wondering who really should have won the reality-based show's $1 million grand prize.

The mistake happened during the show's next-to-last challenge, when the show's four final contestants, Ethan, Kim, Lex and Tom, were quizzed about their knowledge of their fellow players in an attempt to gain immunity from being voted out of the game. After a close competition between Lex and Kim, Kim won immunity by getting the most questions right -- or did she?

The show's host, Jeff Probst, asked the question "Which female survivor does not have anything pierced, including her ears?" The web site AllYourTV.com revealed that there were, in fact, two correct answers to the question -- although only one answer was given credit at the time. While Kim's choice, Kelly, was accepted as the correct answer, Lex's choice, Lindsey, was also correct.

Kim's immunity kept her in the game, leading to the ouster of Tom that evening and Lex during the following Tribal Council. While Kim didn't end up winning the game, there remains some doubt whether Ethan could have won the $1 million if Lex had won immunity after the quiz.

CBS has offered Lex and Tom a $100,000 cash settlement to make up for the mistake, which reportedly was not discovered until after the episode aired in January. The amount is the same as was awarded to Kim for making it to second place.

"This was a screw-up, not a scandal," a "Survivor" spokesman tells the New York Post. "It was an honest mistake and the producers dealt with it right after they became aware of the situation."

All I can say is this: I'd hate to be the production assistant responsible for the screwed-up question!

Posted by dangerkitty on 02-20-02 at 04:52 PM
>All I can say is this:
>I'd hate to be the
>production assistant responsible for the
>screwed-up question!

You mean former production assistant, don't you?

"A challenge for the SB peeps"
Posted by Weems on 02-20-02 at 04:59 PM
Anybody care to figure out WHAT Kelly and Lindsay got pierced?

I've heard tongue piercings are the most painful and bloody of all the piercings and I can't see Lindsay doing it like Komodo suggested. Is she tougher than I'm guessing.

Are we talking pierced ears or something much more sinister?

"Here's the pic"
Posted by Komodo on 02-20-02 at 06:13 PM
or at least its URL:

www.cis.umassd.edu/~u_mjaegle/images/mike&lindsey-tongue.jpg

Whether it's legit, or even her, I dunno.

Meanwhile, imagine Burnett these days, frothing and spewing at this situation. Finally he knows what it feels like to watch this frickin' show...

"RE: Here's the pic"
Posted by Weems on 02-21-02 at 02:57 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-21-02 AT 03:04 PM (EST)

Komodo, that doesn't look like Lindsay to me and that isn't how she spells her name either. That girl looks a little too chunky to be Lindsay.
I picture Lindsay as more of the pierced belly button type.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 02-21-02 at 03:16 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-21-02 AT 03:17 AM (EST)

IMHO, Ethan would still have won the game.

1) KimJ might have won tiebreaker on FComrades; no change.

2) ASSUME Lex won, he MIGHT have booted Tom by that point.

3) Assume that the 3 Musketeers booted the woman; Tom would have definitely lost the Final IC by falling off the perch.

4) If Lex had beaten Ethan at the Final IC (which he technically did)--I believe he would have taken Ethan to the Finals.
He was worried about Tom's popularity and Tom had been revealed as trying to get Lex voted off.

5) Ethan would have beaten Lex, although it would have been closer. Remember, the one who wins the car never gets to win two cars--Survivor RC jinx.

Outcome: At best Tom gets 3rd and Lex gets 2nd, so Lex got paid what he fully deserved (good!) and Tom made out like a bandit, as per usual. As for Kim, she didn't get overpaid because she did hang in there for that last excruciating IC. Plus she could very likely have beaten Lex on the tiebreaker, as per 1) above.

I think Ethan's check is safe from a recall.

I agree with everyone who said it was a stoopid bloody question.

Posted by VampKira on 02-21-02 at 07:51 AM
ROTFLMMFAO!!!

Wowie! WTG Roni! This is the first time I have heard anything about this.. Not surprising though since I get no TV in the woods, and all my mom watches are soaps.

I had to laugh out loud because the first thing I thought of was the Colby/Liz plate thingy.

I wonder what little contro S4 will bring?

even the smiley's aren't safe

Posted by anotherkim on 02-21-02 at 02:01 PM
Man, can you imaginge the ass chewing someone got for that? Yeouch!

It was a dumb question to begin with and if I were Tom or Lex I would be in an attorney's office tomorrow spending my $100K suing them. What a supreme fudge-up. Incredible.

Posted by Dakota on 02-21-02 at 03:54 PM
I would imagine that kind of error won't occur again at Camp Burnett. MB prefers scandals like beef jerky, Greg/Colleen--Did They Do It?, and the infamous finger-wagging battle of veggie girl v. steroid woooman. He also seems to like the "gay" angle, throwing it in each time to see who blinks. But I have one thing to say to WEEMS, who is still battling with the fact that Ethan won: GET OVER IT, WEEMS! HE WON CHALLENGES, HE WON ALLIES, HE DIDN'T CUT ANYONE'S THROAT OR FALL INTO A FIRE. HE WON! (And he's hot. Sizzling hot with that million.) So, Weems, I repeat: G-E-T O-V-E-R I-T!!!!!!!!!!! Whew! I feel better now. See y'all in a week, and let's not forget the preview show (Sunday?). Please check your local listings.

Posted by ms_peligrosa on 02-21-02 at 04:54 PM
My First Post- How exciting!
No one is asking the obvious here: Lindsay was at the immunity challenge. If she did indeed have no piercings, why didn't she say something then?
I agree that even if Lex did win the challenge(highly unlikely), he wouldn't have won S3. I only know of one person on the jury who liked him- Brandon.
I heard Lex on a local radio show this morning and he was acting like they stole $900,000 and all the fame from him.
DREAM ON PSYCHO!

"Lindsey was not at the TC--"
Posted by anotherkim on 02-22-02 at 11:09 AM
she was not a member of the jury, so she would not have heard the question.

"RE: Lindsey was not at the TC--"
Posted by dabo on 02-22-02 at 11:26 AM
Logically neither Silas nor Lindsey should have been an answer to any of the questions, Silas never knew Tom or Lex, Lindsey never knew Ethan or Kim J. If Lex had been thinking he should have understood that. The writers screwed up by not checking their facts as they should have. It was a dumb question. I really have to wonder what Lex's gut is telling him these days.

Posted by VampKira on 02-22-02 at 11:25 AM
My First Post- How exciting!

Wecome to SurvivorBlows, ms. peligrosa! The fun is about to begin again. Glad you joined in!

even the smiley's aren't safe.

Posted by Ronnet on 02-21-02 at 05:48 PM

ah Dakota, your panda is so cute!!!!

<hope he doesn't eat ants>

Go Jamaica!

Posted by Dakota on 02-22-02 at 10:57 PM
Chimps and gorillas get ants and stuff on sticks and eat them. Pandas just chew on the bamboo.
Welcome Ms. Peligrosa! (That's Ms. Danger in English for those of you who don't know--so watch yourselves!)

Posted by Weems on 02-25-02 at 11:18 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-02 AT 11:21 AM (EST)

>ah Dakota, your panda is so cute!!!!

Be careful Ronnet. Pandas are dangerous. If you put a steak on your head, they'll bite you. Don't be fooled by their cuteness.

Ever since I've become an alien I've had a real appetite for pandas. They taste just like chicken.

"Ethan must return the check"
Posted by Weems on 02-25-02 at 11:31 AM
>But I have one thing to say
>to WEEMS, who is still
>battling with the fact that
>Ethan won: GET OVER IT, WEEMS!

____Dakota, justice will not be done until Ethan returns his ill gotten gains. He only won by default because peeps forgot he was there. He blended into the dirt gray scenery so well that his camouflage made him invisible.

That panda sure does look delicious. I can just taste it dipped in sweet and sour sauce now (panda tastes just like chicken).