URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 970
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"American Idol"

Posted by Twilite43 on 05-14-04 at 10:12 AM
The voting system for American Idol must be changed if the show wants to have continued success. It appears that America is voting for certain people for every reason other than talent; this is not fair for the truly talented who fully deserve to be voted through each week. Letting the public vote more than once for one person is not only un-democratic, it makes the voting process an inaccurate sham, and it is ruining credibility of the show.

Cases in Point:

American Idol 1 -- Tamyra Gray was clearly more talented than Justin Guarini, and she should have vied for the title alongside Kelly Clarkson. But, she was voted off, and Justin stayed until the end, most likely because of his looks and personality. He was good, but he was not the singer that Tamyra was.

Americn Idol 2 -- Clay Aiken may have not looked like an American Idol, but not one contestant's voice in AI2 compared to his; Clay was obviously born to be on stage. But, he was voted off, and only by the grace of the judges (who can recognize real talent where obviously the public can't), Clay was brought back. Although Ruben Studdard won the title, Clay Aiken was the true American Idol of season 2. He was by far the better singer and performer, and the public must feel the same or Clay would NOT be more famous than the title holder is today.

And that brings us to AI3, which makes it even more clear that the voting system for this show is so very flawed. LaToya London, Jennifer Hudson and Fantasia Barrino were the three best singers throughout most of this competition. Yet, the two with the best voices are gone, leaving Fantasia (a very good singer, but not as good as LaToya & Jennifer), Diana (a good singer who can excel one day), and Jasmine (at best only a mediocre karaoke singer who DOES NOT belong in the Top 3).

I am so disgusted that I can barely bring myself to watch the final episodes of season 3. If Jasmine Trias wins the title, I will never watch American Idol again. The voting population in America is well on its way to ruining this show and what it's really supposed to be about-- TALENT.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: American Idol"
Posted by Bebo on 05-14-04 at 10:20 AM
Welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to read the community guidelines - there's a link at the top of the page.

Since the voting is already being discussed on numerous threads, I'm locking this as a duplicate and encouraging you to join in the existing discussions.