URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 957
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Happy Boys get help from the producers"

Posted by msquared on 04-06-05 at 08:11 AM
The producers bent the rules for the Happy Boys.

When their LandRover got a flat, becuase they ran over something, they should have had to change the tire. Instead they get a new LandRover.

msquared

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Happy Boys get help from the producers"
Posted by ftaok on 04-06-05 at 08:41 AM
I agree with you as well regarding the second replacement truck. The only thing I could think of was that the producers felt that it would have been unsafe to jack the truck up on that type of road (e.g. very sandy and not paved). Although, with the proper tools, it could be done safely.

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-05 at 08:45 AM
WTF was that? I actually yelled at the TV last night, "the rules state that a vehicle replacement will be given if the breakdown is no fault of the racers." Hello?

They could have changed that tire and should have, there was wood laying around they could use under the jack.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. Sigpic by Syren.

Posted by Oscirus on 04-06-05 at 09:01 AM
Its no worse than the produers providing a replacement vehicle for the brothers who were driving like maniacs last week and flipped their vehicle. If ya do for one you got to do for all

Thank you for giving me honor in hat form.

Posted by bostonrobfan on 04-06-05 at 10:51 AM
Then Lynn and Alex should have had to wait forever for the replacement vehicles, just like the brothers did!

Posted by kvasir79 on 04-07-05 at 04:56 AM
how do you know they didn't?

Posted by trudy on 04-06-05 at 09:16 AM
I was pretty ticked when I saw them get another vehicle just for a flat tire. There was a spare tire clearly visible on the back of the Land Rover, they should have changed the tire. Why does this rate a new vehicle when we have seen people siphon gas out of diesel fuel vehicles etc without assistance from production? If it was unsafe to spend time outside the vehicle then the whole roadblock was unsafe considering they had to get out and move the tree limbs so what could the reasoning be?

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-06-05 at 09:24 AM
See it was their fault that they put reg in a diesel truck...but I do think they should have changed the tire.

created by Syren

Posted by trudy on 04-06-05 at 09:33 AM
You're right about the fault issue with the gas, my bad. But we've seen other vehicles break down and seen other teams fix them, I'm sure of that though I can't point out who or when. Why, if it wasn't L/A's fault didn't they send in a crew to simply change the tire then? Why pop up with a different vehicle? It just annoyed the crap out of me. I bet if it was any other team we would have seen an attempt at them changing it. I can picture Ron, Meredith, Rob, B/G, well actually EVERY other team changing their own tire instead of waiting for a new vehicle.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-06-05 at 10:17 AM
Yep....where is the replacment bus or taxi when it breaks down....I think I said back with the boats that it was the first time we were given that they get a replacement vehicle but no time speach but I think they should make sure they are up to task because it could cost a team with no fault to their own.

created by Syren

Posted by watermelon on 04-07-05 at 01:10 PM
I can't back this up coz I can't remember when Phil last gave his "if a vehicle breaks down through no fault of their own, teams will be allocated a replacement vehicle but will receive no time credits" speech, but I'm sure he's given it in the past because when I watched the boat episode and Phil started his speech, I found I was able to mouth the words right along with him, virtually word for word! I do have a knack for remembering things pretty much word for word after hearing/reading/seeing them only once, but how could I do that if I hadn't heard it at least once before? Unfortunately, my memory is not good enough and I can't tell you exactly when I last heard it apart from the boating episode

Posted by Cleveland Guy on 04-06-05 at 09:33 AM
I found it more convienent how quickly those replacement cars seem to have come.

It was a 21 mile drive into the bush - did they have extra cars ever 3-5 miles just incase?

Posted by ftaok on 04-06-05 at 09:45 AM
>I found it more convienent how
>quickly those replacement cars seem
>to have come.
>
>It was a 21 mile drive
>into the bush - did
>they have extra cars ever
>3-5 miles just incase?

I posted this in another forum.

I think they had extra/spare trucks following each team in the event of an accident. I bet the producers probably felt like they had dodged a bullet on the previous accident with the brothers and wanted to err on the side of safety.

If you watch closely, when Lynn/Alex were finishing up the Roadblock, you can see another white truck in the background. I don't think that Meredith/Gretchen had made it back to the Roadblock yet and the Bros were way behind. So who was in the truck? I surmise that they had extra trucks follow relatively closely to each team just in case something happened.

Posted by Seana on 04-06-05 at 10:11 AM
Your extra truck theory is interesting. I'll pay attention in upcoming weeks for other clues.

I must also chime in as not understanding why L/A didn't have to change a stupid tire. *I* can change a tire, for crying out loud. They didn't need a whole new vehicle, just like the brothers didn't need whole new bikes.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-06-05 at 10:18 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 10:20 AM (EST)

Yea...where was the brothers replacement bike....why was not one provided to them? What happen if a raft popped? Would it be a Charlie Brown ep with Snoopy and Woodstock winning because they made a sail?

created by Syren

Posted by BoyWndr on 04-06-05 at 10:18 AM
At the risk of repeating what everyone else has already said, I too must express my annoyance about the boys receiving a new vehicle just becasue of a flat tire. However, despite waiting for TWO replacement vehicles, they still managed to come in 4th. It gives an indication of how far behind the old folks and the brothers actually were.

"Golly, The batcomputer is none too frisky today, Batman." - Robin, The Boy Wonder

Posted by trudy on 04-06-05 at 10:28 AM
It seems the "replacement vehicle" was right on their tail though. I wish I knew how much time elapsed between their call for a vehicle and the vehicle showing up. If indeed the producers have closed the gap significantly then breakdowns become a non issue in the future, just jump in the vehicle behind you and no time lost at all.

The bike tire is a good example of how screwed up this was. Maybe they should call B/G back in from the pool and give them back the time they lost there. Better yet, have L/A carry the LR through the rest of the roadblock on their backs.

Posted by nailbone on 04-06-05 at 11:22 AM
Well, FWIW, on the Early Show this morning, B&G said that they were hours behind the other teams, and in fact never saw another team the entire day.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Posted by drtantalum on 04-06-05 at 11:37 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 11:38 AM (EST)

How long did they spend at that other water tower!!!! Wasn't there only an hour or so separating all teams at the beginning of the leg. It seemed a pretty straight forward leg to have lost any sort of time. And two teams had to add 18 miles of driving to go back and forth from the roadblock to the pitstop.

Posted by trigirl on 04-06-05 at 12:41 PM
There were minutes separating them at the beginning of the leg (I think 10 minutes). They must have spent a long time at the first water tower.

Sad to see them go, but this was their chance with everyone else making mistakes.

Posted by drtantalum on 04-07-05 at 05:47 AM
Well based on the extra clips show last night it looks like they also got themselves in a bit of a car bind again. They lost the bumper. Don't know if they got stuck or anything.

Still while the roadblock was easy I like to see a straightforward leg every now and then where the order you finished the previous leg does indeed matter unless you run a perfect leg....which they didn't.

Posted by TerriBlue on 04-06-05 at 03:06 PM
Someone on TWOP pointed this out and I think it's a good guess.

L&A may have had the rules bent for them because they were in hazardous conditions. There were wild animals running all over the place and although they don't usually attack, the producers probably don't want their asses sued off. Remember when that elephant looked like it was going to charge at Brian and Greg? So the crew may have told racers not to get out for anything and just sit tight until a new vehicle arrives. Changing a tire in the middle of safari land may just have been too risky. That would explain why Lynn and Alex didn't even bother about changing the tire, but immediately called for a back-up

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-06-05 at 03:30 PM
If that is so....WEAK!....have a car following with sharp shooters.

created by Syren

Posted by Tahj on 04-06-05 at 05:15 PM
If that is so....WEAK!....have a car following with sharp shooters.

You're kidding about the sharp shooters, I hope.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by TerriBlue on 04-06-05 at 05:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 05:25 PM (EST)

I hope so too. The animals shouldn't be shot at just because the producers want to avoid a lawsuit. There are also several endangered species and contries have strict laws about killing them

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-06-05 at 07:16 PM
Yes, I am joking....but I'm sure there are ways to protect them if they got out of the car...I just gave the very extream way to protect them.

created by Syren

"Huh? But..."
Posted by Breezy on 04-06-05 at 03:33 PM
the roadblock called for them to get out of their cars. So how can they say getting out of the car to hook up the tow strap is ok, but don't get out of the car to change a flat?

"RE: Huh? But..."
Posted by TerriBlue on 04-06-05 at 05:28 PM
The course was set up very specifically - markers and logs and everything, so the production crew probably groomed and fenced off the roadblock course. They would have to fence off the course to make sure no animals are going to come along and interfere with the log placements

Posted by MasterTech on 04-06-05 at 06:07 PM
L/A's safety seems to be the only logical explanation for their getting a replacement vehicle for a mere flat tire, as I know in at least one other instance a team got a flat and did NOT receive a new car (Ken and Gerard in season 3(?) got a flat in their Mercedes SUV driving through Bavaria... and drove on it until they shredded the tire LOL. They eventually pulled into a service station for repairs.

Posted by trudy on 04-06-05 at 08:35 PM
The safety issue would fly with me except, didn't they show them hanging around outside the vehicle anyways while they waited? I seem to recall Lynn fanning himself with something. Also, who could predict how long they would take to remove roadblocks - certainly they had to remain out of the vehicle to do that. Was there a time limit for that? For their safety? Hey, if there was a loose canon bull elephant do you think you are safe in a LR? lol.

Nah, I'm not buying the safety thing.

Posted by dajaki on 04-06-05 at 08:52 PM
Don't forget that two fat Jewish guys from New York (TAR5) also changed a tire.

"If it was fenced off..."
Posted by Breezy on 04-07-05 at 08:01 AM
then where is your argument for the safey issue? They were safe and should have changed the tire.

"RE: If it was fenced off..."
Posted by TerriBlue on 04-07-05 at 02:47 PM
I said the log pulling area was probably fenced off, not the entire course leading up to the log pulling area. If they'd fenced off the entire road leading up to the log area, finding it would have been a no brainer and that clearly wasn't the case.

"RE: If it was fenced off..."
Posted by Breezy on 04-07-05 at 03:45 PM
Were the Happy Boys even to the log pulling yet?

No brainer? Did you notice all the red ribbons leading their way? It was a no brainer.

Posted by kvasir79 on 04-07-05 at 06:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, i'm a big L/A fan. I got to say it'd been easier for Lynn to lose HIS spare tire than to actually change a flat tire on a Land Rover even if his life depends on it.

Posted by packrat on 04-07-05 at 02:17 PM
IMO, the boys have been getting help from almost the beginning. In the spear throwing, Lynn wasn't even a full spear length away from the bag. In the milking, the cup wasn't filled to the top. I really liked these 2 when the race started, but I'm sick of their 'Holier than Thou' attitude. That remark made by Alex at the beginning of this past leg about the other teams playing dirty, but they play an honest clean game, just that they are sneaky, was really a stupid remark. You aren't playing an honest game if you are playing sneaky. They are getting away with things that the straight couples wouldn't.

Posted by TerriBlue on 04-07-05 at 03:20 PM
If the producers favored them, they would have gotten a prize for coming in first

I think Alex's comment about an honest game, just sneaky was supposed to be funny. Unfortunately, it fell flat. This whole season has been full of teams saying stupid remarks that they think are funny, but aren't. First Ray, then Rob and now Lynn and Alex

Posted by kvasir79 on 04-07-05 at 04:07 PM
er.... Romber is the str8 couple that's getting away with everything.

Posted by packrat on 04-07-05 at 04:58 PM
I knew this would end up being a 'let's bash Romber' thread.

Posted by bostonrobfan on 04-07-05 at 05:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-07-05 AT 05:08 PM (EST)

Romber hasn't done anything wrong to be able to 'get away' with anything. Rob was the right distance away in the spear throwing task.

Romber is the team that fixes problems (like traffic jams and broken down vehicles). The Happy Boys just whine about how unfair it is that they have a broken vehicle and stand around waiting for the producers to help them.

Posted by TerriBlue on 04-07-05 at 05:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-07-05 AT 05:45 PM (EST)

Well to borrow an excuse that Rob and Amber fans seem to be very fond of - if they aren't breaking any rules and they've figured out a way to make the game work for them, why not take advantage?