URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 940
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Finding it hard to stay excited"

Posted by grit on 05-11-04 at 09:44 AM
I think of reality shows like accidents on the highway - no matter how gruesome, you just gotta slow down to look. No matter how cr@ppy reality shows get, I'm pretty loyal and stick with them until the end (I submit as evidence: A.S.S. and the vomit-fest that was Rob's proposal to Amber).

But I'm finding it harder and harder to be loyal to AI. The producers have already set up LaToya to be the winner. Why should I bother watching?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Finding it hard to stay excited"
Posted by Breezy on 05-11-04 at 10:01 AM
I'll keep watching, only because 24 doesn't come on til 9.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-11-04 at 10:05 AM
I agree with you 100%. The funny part is they know most of American knows this and they are trying now to trick you into believing that Latoya may not win but its in the bag.
I heard someone mention yesterday on the radio that if you really think about it, how did these 12 finalist make a whole CD when they supposedly only knew they were in and the next week 1 of them got voted out. It can take weeks or months to make a CD
Also, the day after the winner is announced her song will begin playing on most radio stations across America, so these stations would have to had an advanced copy...
It seems that the winner is picked well in advance and they go from there.

"No"
Posted by AyaK on 05-11-04 at 10:47 AM
The reason CDs take so long is that the arrangements. With the Idol CDs, the arrangements are done. Recording vocals takes two days max.

As for the "next day" question, look at Nashville Star -- the producers made songs with EACH of the final three, since they didn't know who would win. The winner's song got released, but the losers' songs were also available for download at Walmart.com:

I Meant To by Brad Cotter (winner)

That Girl Inside My Head by George Canyon (second)

Georgia on a Fast Train by Matt Lindahl (third)

As you can see, Sony had also prepared covers for each of the singles.

For Idol 1, both Kelly and Justin recorded 'A Moment Like This.'

For Idol 2, the two finalists recorded targeted songs: Clay's 'This Is the Night' and Ruben's 'Flying Without Wings,' since RCA had decided to sign both of them.

Who knows which way Simon Fuller will go with Idol 3? Perhaps only Simon Fuller himself.

"RE: No"
Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-11-04 at 11:54 AM
Thanks for that info.
One thing I can say is I think Nashville Star is on the up and up especially when it comes to voting. They let the judges send someone home and also the public.
The host never pushes any one contestant and those judges neer seem to jump on one contestants badwagon and stay there the whole season.

Posted by Mistral on 05-11-04 at 10:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing! This is my first season of watching AI, so I thought I'd give it a try. And while I was enjoying it in the beginning, I'm pretty bored by now. Let's face it, I don't vote, I would never buy an American Idol CD -- this is just a bashfest for the fam and I.

Now that Survivor is over, I'm just marking time to TAR5. And I kinda actually enjoyed the Survivor barf-fest. Better than any of the bachelor proposals, that's fer shure!

"The problem is the contestants"
Posted by PagongRatEater on 05-11-04 at 10:53 AM
They just aren't very likeable OR if they're likeable they're bad. That's my theory as the why JPL and John Stevens lasted so long in this competition. I just have not gotten attached to anyone in this show. Last year the final 3 were all great singers with great personalities. This year the final 4 are just not.

Latoya is good but she has no personality, she is just not interesting. Jasmine and Diana have great POTENTIAL, but could have done with more seasoning before coming on a show like this. And 'Tasia just rubs me the totally wrong way.

It's ain't the show, it's the people.

Posted by shedevil on 05-11-04 at 02:55 PM
I stopped voting when Jennifer left because she was the only one that really stood out for me. I only watch the show now to get a good laugh out of Jasmine's bad singing and the occasional good song by Fantasia. I really don't care who wins now. If "America's Next Top Model" was still on I'd stick to watching that instead.

Posted by ginger on 05-11-04 at 04:24 PM
There's a Top Model special on tonight, following the continued adventures of the girls.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-11-04 at 03:28 PM
It is almost making you look forward to "Big Brother"

Posted by shedevil on 05-11-04 at 04:20 PM
Hey joshidol, have you heard about the WB's spoof show on "American Idol"? It's called "Superstar USA" and it starts on May 17th. They are going to keep all of the bad singers and lose the good ones, while telling the bad ones how good they are. It's another one of those "the jokes on you" reality shows.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 09:58 AM
Hey Shedevil..
I saw that commercial and thought it was funny.
After this year's American Idol shows, it won't be hard for them to pull off that stunt.
Hey will we be seeing more of William Hung and John Stevens??

Posted by shedevil on 05-12-04 at 05:47 PM
I think William, Jasmine, Leah and John Stevens should definitley apply. They'd fit right in with the rest of the bad singers, they'd have a better shot of winning that competition.

Posted by RealityAddict on 05-11-04 at 04:37 PM
Hey joshidol...I actually DO look forward to Big Brother...ha ha ha!

And PagongRatEater (your sig pic is freaking me out) I agree with you about the final 4 not being very likeable. I was really into last season and genuinely liked the final contestants. Maybe the show has just gotten too ~so so~

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-11-04 at 04:42 PM
Right back at ya, Realityaddict!!!! July 6th.

Posted by RealityAddict on 05-11-04 at 04:47 PM
I was JUST on the BB boards trying to find out when the next season starts...thanks JI.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-11-04 at 05:05 PM
Anytime......

Posted by idlegossip on 05-12-04 at 00:53 AM
Reality Addict,

Your sig pic is a riot. Is it a little guy who has had too much to drink, or a little guy who NEEDS a drink?

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

Posted by RealityAddict on 05-12-04 at 11:08 AM
Thanks idlegossip! I think he might be a stick figure of Rerun from What's Happenin! (he's just missing suspenders)

Posted by okaychatt on 05-11-04 at 07:39 PM
I'm in the same boat, Grit, and it's sinking fast. The remaining contestants do not inspire much passion in me. The only one I can't live with winning is Jasmine. Getting her voted off is all I care about at this point.

I think La Toya will win, but I don't really care.

This is only my second season of AI. Last year's final few weeks were a hoot, but this year - BLAH!

Posted by callalilly3000 on 05-11-04 at 07:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-04 AT 09:53 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-11-04 AT 08:27 PM (EST)

I only watch this season, because I am curious to whom the winner might be. I have no passion for any of the contestents. I haven't all season. I loved watching last season, I would get up and applaud at the great performances, with Ruben, Clay and Kim L. I stood up and applauded alot.

This season has been a joke, and has had more poor performances than good. Even the top contestents have had off nights. I don't recall Ruben ever singing poorly. He was very worthy of winning. Another thing I loved about last season, was I truly didn't care who won, because I loved the final three.

This season I don't care who wins, because I don't care for any one. I will not buy the CD of any contestant that might win.

(edited, well just because)

"Been excited here since week three of the semi-finals!"
Posted by kerawal on 05-11-04 at 11:42 PM
After tonight's show especially, I don't think they are setting up Latoya to win (if anyone at all).
Plus, the judges are there to help America decide, otherwise they would not be there.
I do think there is extraneous drama added to the show, but I do not believe this is indicitive of the final vote tally.
As much as I would love to see Latoya win, I think her chances are getting slimmer.
This Diana resurgent has scared me.
As good as she can "stay on pitch" and hold a high note, I believe she is not AI material, yet there is a high probability of Diana making the final 2 which slightly mirrors Simon's comments to her tonight (disco).

"RE: Been excited here since week three of the semi-finals!"
Posted by shedevil on 05-12-04 at 00:08 AM
I think that if Diana, Jasmine or Latoya wins it will be just another nail in the coffin of AI. If Fantasia doesn't win, it's over. (It may be over anyway).

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 10:01 AM
I agree Shedevil.
I like Fantasia.
There is just something about Diana that rubs me the wrong way. After last night, she seems so fake and she has beady eyes.
Her mother looks so mean to.
Grant it, she is a good singer for her age but there are times like in the first song she screamed.

Posted by calamityc on 05-12-04 at 01:49 AM
I tend to think from Simon's constant "boring" comments to LaToya that the judge's preference is likely:
1. Fantasia
2. LaToya
3. Diana
But Diana has had two good weeks in a row and I think the judges are seeing the possibility she will edge out one of the two favorites. Not much chance for Jasmine after this week's performance, but who might Diana edge out?
As a side note, I was surprised the ladies had any trouble at all with disco night. Latin night, yes. Big band night, yes. Was disco really so long ago that it is like big band music to these girls? Aaack! Yes it was that long ago!

Posted by Karennz on 05-12-04 at 08:02 AM
Isn't it interesting that the judges' (generally blase) comments about LaToya during the show are completely opposite of what they said earlier in the day on "Extra." Did you watch that?

All three were asked point-blank whom they thought would win the competition. Without hesitatation they all responded "LaToya."

Fine by me, since I've loved her from the beginning and I *do* hope she wins. But I think EVERYTHING at this point is a set-up. The producers want to keep us confused so that we'll keep watching until the very last minute. Why? Ratings, my daahhling. It's all about the ratings.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 10:05 AM
Simon made the comment a few weeks ago that the final 2 will be Diana and Latoya, thats pretty obvius since they have been praising Diana so much.
I have no respect for this show anymnore, it is fixed and they put who they want.
Ever since It was confirmed they made George change his song selections at the last minute becasue he was blowing people away in rehearsal, I have no respect for this show.
they push who they want ultimately to win and they will get that person.
Week after wek Simon has said the same things about Diana and now all of a sudden he is praising her, whats changed???

Posted by archon on 05-12-04 at 12:05 PM
Josh...

Where did you hear that bit about George changing his songs?

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 12:41 PM
This woman Donna who is a celebrity writer out of Syracuse New York said the producers made George change his songs. he had first picked "Unforgettable" and "Minnie the Moocher"
They told him they were not good fits. She said people who were at rehearsals said George was blowing people away with his rendition of Unforgettable.
George then confirmed the producers made him change his song selection when he did his interview with TV guide.
That is why if they are not tampering with votes they are manipulating reactions. I guess if George had gotten up there and blew American away with Unforgettable, then he would have gotten the lesss then 200 votes that separated he and Jasmine. They wanted an all female final 4.
Believe me, whoever they have picked out will be who wins.
Look at last year, even Simon said in his book that Kimberly Locke sang better then Ruben the last 3 weeks of the competition but did we ever hear them tell her that???????

Posted by okaychatt on 05-12-04 at 02:55 PM
<This woman Donna who is a celebrity writer out of Syracuse New York >

Do you have an online source for her paper or magazine? I'd like to read the article.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 03:17 PM
I read her column on another forum but she gave her email address and it is dlturtle@earthlink.net. She can tell you where to find it, in the meantime if I can I will post it.
She says that many people want her to investigate but she does not have enough solid evidence and the producers of American Idol won't talk to her.

Posted by pheeann on 05-12-04 at 03:12 PM
That's too bad, if it's true. I like George, and I think he would have done both songs well. And "Minnie the Moocher" would have been totally in sync with Big Band, unlike some of the other songs chosen!

"Doesn't matter which wins"
Posted by AZ_Leo on 05-12-04 at 12:28 PM
They already have the contracts inked and ready to be signed for those the producers want. It won't matter if one of the judges favorites wins or not. Just take a look at what happened to nonwinners from previous seasons.

I don't watch it but based on what I read on the boards (which is where the real entertainment in this show lies) I would be tempted to vote Jasmine. The other three have their careers made now. Her only chance is to win this competition.

Besides, I would love to see what Simon and his label do if they find themselves having to promote Jasmine. That's an American Idol spinoff I might actually watch.

"RE: Doesn't matter which wins"
Posted by calamityc on 05-12-04 at 12:55 PM
Still finding it hard to be excited, but not hard to be amused thanks to AZ's last paragraph above!
I'm not too worried about Jasmine. If Camille already had opportunities waiting for her when she returned home, just imagine the reception for Jasmine. Her dreams were bigger than local celebrity, but she will have that as a consolation.

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 02:47 PM
On another Forum they claim they have the result totals and they said Latoya is actually going home tonight.
If you remember in Season 1, Tamyra Grey went home and Nikki McKibben stayed.
If this is true then maybe Latoya decided not to sign their contract like Tamyra said. She actually said you do better if you do not win the title.
After Latoya's comments last night, it could be possible.
Maybe hawaiians do each have 5 phones, Jasmine herself said that they all bought new phones in her family and she power votes for herself.
Wow if this turns out to be true, we may have another Pearl harbor on our hands. What controversy, but you know what they said in the past 2 weeks their ratings have slipped, they had huge ratings the week of the Johnny/Jennifer scandal.
I would actually think with Latoya's personality she would not want to win this competition, you realize all the talk shows she would have to go on...
Think about it, had Jasmine gone last week and George stayed, it would not have been that big of a controversy if George won and Latoya stayed, no racist issue of course and George was a decent singer.. So the behind closed doors meeting last week was to decide to send George home instead of Jasmine to save Jasmine to this week and send Latoya.
Controversy=ratings.
Its a longshot but if Jasmine stays tonight, how else would they explain this??

Posted by okaychatt on 05-12-04 at 02:53 PM
<After Latoya's comments last night, it could be possible>

Do you mean something La Toya said or the judges' comments? I don't remember her saying anything, but I did leave the room for ice cream..........(One must have her priorities straight.)

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 02:57 PM
Yea Latoya said at this point in the contest, everyone is a winnder and will go on to I think she may have said get a record deal. Simon actually knocked the comment when I think it was Fantasia who came out and he said that Latoya should not be thinking like that at this point.
Strange to me, she may want to go out, who knows she may be getting tons of deals elsewhere I think the only thing you have to do is not put a record out before they do.

"Agreed and Disagree"
Posted by Fishercat on 05-12-04 at 03:00 PM
I also found it to be very boring and hard to stay with recently (Barely watched it this week), but for a completely different reason. These are arguably 4 of the Top 6 voices out of the 12 (Jennifer and George the other two, which I'll get to), but it seems that it is sort of cookie cutter, namely that they are all girls that have powerful voices and can do both styles of songs. That isn't a bad thing and that is the prototype you want, but it is incredibly boring to hear LaToya, then LaToya with a bigger attitude and some mild differences (Fantasia), a younger LaToya with more of a performer in her with a slightly lesser voice (Diana), and then Jasmine who I think is clearly #6 on my power rankings.

As bad as John Stevens was, I watched for him since he was different, he was a good break between the powerhouses. To a lesser extent, George was the male performer who made a nice break between the Big 4, and Jennifer had arguably the strongest voice in the competition along with the flair for the drmaatic. Those 3 were great buffers for the group of 4 remaining. Once Camille got booted, then we had my favorite group of the season. Then subsequently, Jennifer, John, and George went goodbye, and we were left with 4 similar if not equal singers. Big whoop.

"RE: Agreed and Disagree"
Posted by JOSHIDOL on 05-12-04 at 03:04 PM
Great synopsis on this. I totally agree.
If in fact they do tamper with the voting, why on earth would they come up with these results???

"Now I'm excited!"
Posted by grit on 05-13-04 at 10:31 AM
Don't worry - Latoya's going to get a contract. I just objected to Simon force-feeding us viewers that Latoya should - and would - win. Which is why the show got so boring.

IMO, out of the three remaining finalists, Fantasia should win.

But a Jasmine or Diana win would make for really entertaining TV.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.