URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 939
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Time to go back to the original format"

Posted by LenYJr on 08-06-06 at 10:26 PM
Now that we've had 6 seasons of "Survivor in a House", it is now time to go back to the original format?

Is the popularity of the show enough to warrant going back to public votes, etc.? The general public is no doubt completely unaware of the rules from BB2 on (Head of Household, etc.).

A friend from the UK has shown me some of their BB and I can tell you that not only is it more interesting since the players CANNOT DISCUSS NOMINATIONS, EVER, you actually get to know them better as people rather than parts of an alliance. The total unpredictability (those nominated 1 week are completely ignored the next) makes it very exciting.

It puts more pressure on the production to generate situations though games, etc to create conflict, but even the design of the house - all mirrors & clear walls, everyone in 1 bedroom - is set up to do that.

time to go back to basics?

LenYJR

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Time to go back to the original format"
Posted by Bob Tomato on 08-06-06 at 11:09 PM
It was a different show in season one. You watched the cast interact with each other and talk about their lives and families. Now almost all of the interaction you see is geared toward the game and strategy and all that. You don't know anything about anyone's life outside the house or whether they like country music or spaghetti or anything.

I liked the old format better because you watched real people living in an odd environment. Now it is watching people play a game, which I find less interesting.

Somehow I still watch it anyway.

Posted by Buggy on 08-07-06 at 01:17 AM
Big Brother is a popular show in many countries all over the world. It was popular before it came to the U.S.
The original format didn't seem to attract as many viewers in the USA as it has in other places. That is why the format of the game was tweeked here, to it's present form.

I think when the houseguests are strangers you get more of the "get to know eachother" conversations. Because this season is All-Stars and they have met, if not made friends before the game started, we don't get as much of that as we do most seasons.

I think the problem with the pubic vote evictions, at least in the first season here in the States, was that the least, 'out there' people were the ones who stayed. The most boring houseguests stayed the longest.
There is an interesting interview on Jokers with Josh from season one ( Erika's longtime boyfriend) where he talks about this subject. He says that he started holding back because he saw that the lowkey players weren't heing voted out by the viewers.

I tried to watch the first season of BB, it bored me , so I stopped watching after the the first couple episodes.
I've been an avid watcher since season 2, when they took out the viewer as a part of the game.
I think the game is best played within the house. That is my opinion.
I also think that because other countries can show more on TV than the US can , it adds a dymanic that American TV can't match.
Other places can show nudity and language that we can't.

I like the currant format of the game with viewers as observers, not particiants, but that is just my opinion.

Posted by brvnkrz on 08-07-06 at 08:48 AM
>I think the problem with the
>pubic vote evictions,

Hey now, I realize that this may not be family programming but realllllly, Buggy.

Posted by nailbone on 08-07-06 at 04:50 PM
*snort*

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by brvnkrz on 08-07-06 at 08:52 AM
Although I will always watch Big Brother, I find that it is like a lot of these shows. The first season is new and exciting and then people start to understand the game. And then like you said, it becomes about the game and the game only. And I can't blame the contestants. they are there to play a game so they will see what has worked in the past.
But I also agree with Buggy, in that these players already knew each other so personal interaction isn't needed as much.
Personally, I didn't like that America voted. I prefer the format that they have now with the houseguests voting.

A wonderful Tribe original

Posted by AshLanie on 08-07-06 at 10:16 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-07-06 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

>Now that we've had 6 seasons
>of "Survivor in a House",
>it is now time to
>go back to the original
>format?
>
>Is the popularity of the show
>enough to warrant going back
>to public votes, etc.?
>The general public is no
>doubt completely unaware of the
>rules from BB2 on (Head
>of Household, etc.).
>
>A friend from the UK has
>shown me some of their
>BB and I can tell
>you that not only is
>it more interesting since the
>players CANNOT DISCUSS NOMINATIONS, EVER,
>you actually get to know
>them better as people rather
>than parts of an alliance.
> The total unpredictability (those
>nominated 1 week are completely
>ignored the next) makes it
>very exciting.
>
>It puts more pressure on the
>production to generate situations though
>games, etc to create conflict,
>but even the design of
>the house - all mirrors
>& clear walls, everyone in
>1 bedroom - is set
>up to do that.
>
>time to go back to basics?
>
>
>LenYJR

Nods in agreement.

I watched season one and if not mistaken besides what you typed about it the houseguests had to earn money for the buying of food. Money could be lost from what had been earned also. Leaving less money for food.

Even though the houseguests of season one were still bored at times they still had to do *chores* etc.

The problem I see this year is these people aren't really Allstars to begin with, with the exception of one, Will, who won his season. And per his own words he came on cause of Boogie and to promote his businesses and practice.

You got one in the top twenty (Ivette) who made it to second place last season yet the producers didn't see fit to have her enter? Shakes head.

(And before anyone bashes me I don't care for Ivette but if one is to have an allstar *team* then they should be winners and or runnerups not ones that got voted out in the 5th week like James did last year).

I dropped the live feeds because got tired of the over aged teens complaining about their life in the house and didn't even bother to watch last night's (Sunday) show.

Will bide my time til Survivor is on once again...bummer they don't have live feeds for that show...

Posted by Captain_Savem on 08-07-06 at 04:43 PM
I couldn't disagree more. For one, there's just no way to guarantee a fair vote (or as fair as possible) if you leave it up to the public. So whoever has the fans with the most bots will usually win, and like you mentioned in BBUK, those people wouldn't be nominated again for a long time. Also, having the public vote would completely take away the strategery and double-dealing that's the cause of most of the meltdowns and fights.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, yo.
MySpace

Posted by brvnkrz on 08-07-06 at 04:51 PM
I agree. I really don't like any of the shows that have the public voting.

Posted by Bebo on 08-07-06 at 04:57 PM
*groans*

I can just see it now...BB Bashers overflowing with viewers complaining about the rigged voting...

"*raises hand*"
Posted by brvnkrz on 08-07-06 at 05:01 PM
I would be first in line.

Posted by AZ_Leo on 08-08-06 at 08:20 PM
Overall I agree with those who don't want to go back to letting the public vote, especially unlimited voting. I have never liked any of those shows, mainly because I don't seem to have the same taste as the rest of the public.

However, as this is allstars, it could be fun if for one week there is no HOH and the public got to make the nominations with no chance for POV, then let the hamsters figure out who to vote.

A tribephyl original

Posted by brvnkrz on 08-08-06 at 08:25 PM
Okay, i admit that I do like this idea. But only for one week.

Posted by AZ_Leo on 08-08-06 at 08:32 PM
To be really diabolical, BB should tell the hamsters on the live show on Thurs that no HOH, the public will nominate, then let them squirm wondering who will be chosen until at least Tue or Wed of the following week. The live feed people might finally have something interesting to watch (such as Marc spontaneously combusting over whether the public likes him or not).

And yes, only one week and the final decision of who goes is theirs not the public.

A tribephyl original