URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 916
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Will next season suck?"

Posted by TARugh on 03-20-05 at 11:50 AM
Ah, TAR season 8. Ready to start sucking the moment TAR 7 is complete. Teams of 4. Families. Kids aged 12. Outlook does not look bright. I don't see this as being exciting at all. I view it to become confusing, with weak challenges that children can handle. Don't get me wrong: I love children. Just not on TAR.

Does somebody have a different outlook? Please - let me know if I should look forward to TAR8, or if TAR8 will truly be a waste?

(Reference: Family Fear factor with Kids.)

"Little Cletus...stop you're crying. Finish the challenge where you eat 2 bowls of Cheerios."

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Will next season suck?"
Posted by volsfan on 03-20-05 at 04:11 PM
At first I thought it would be terrible. However, I will give it a try. One thing that I think WOULD be interesting is if they send two of the group of four one way and the other two another. Allowing both groups perform a portion of each task.

I don't think they could have more than 5 groups of 4 though...at that it is going to be confusing. It takes me 3-4 shows to get used to a new Survivor season.

I wonder if the group of 4 teams will be more on a treasure hunt than an actual race competiting in competitions like we are seeing now.

I will wait and see how it looks before judging.

Posted by watermelon on 03-21-05 at 04:02 AM
I will wait and see before I pronounce judgement. Having worked with kids in the past, I'm often amazed how intelligent and tenacious and brave they can be - we adults too often don't give them enough credit. Yes, some challenges will be out of bounds for kids, eg some things may have a minimum height requirement... but I think there may also be challenges that kids excel in that adults may find difficult. The trick to not making it an obvious imbalance for teams with kids is to have some sort of age limit, eg 12?

Posted by TARugh on 03-21-05 at 03:57 PM
I hope you're right. I'm still a tad pessimistic though. Since it is a family affair though, it would be interesting to see some very dysfunctional families out there

You know what would be a neat idea? A TAR with teams that have NO pre-existing relationship. And throw some real evil twists that will surely be a must-see:

1. A Muslim and a Jew
2. An American and a North Korean
3. A Harvard graduate and a high school dropout
4. Two people who don't speak the same language
5. Simon and Paula from American Idol
6. A right wing and a left wing
7. A human and a duck
8. Somebody who doesn't bathe with somebody with tourettes syndrome

Paula...it is your turn to do the road block. Must I be the only educated one of us two?

Posted by Femme on 03-21-05 at 04:06 PM
From what I read, it isn't just a "traditional" family format. There might be teams with a husband and wife and each of their mothers, or a gay couple and their kids, or something like that.

Think Family Feud, with all sorts of les-traditional relationships.

And, for that, I am excited to see what they will do with this.

Femme

i she be your girlfriend

Posted by LibraRising on 03-21-05 at 05:45 PM
If that's the case, it will be a lot better than I expected.

My fear is we're going to see a bunch of pushy stage moms and dads who make Jonathan look like Ward Cleaver. Those of you who don't like Susan: Can you imagine the type of DAW-projecting parents this could potentially attract? I just keep picturing insane guy from Vermont on that Bravo show about stage parents(wasn't his name Nutter or something like that?).

On the other hand, I don't want to see a watered-down, endless version of Family Double Dare, either.

But I'll give it a chance. We can't fear change, I guess.

Posted by Femme on 03-21-05 at 05:59 PM
My fear is we're going to see a bunch of pushy stage moms and dads

Ugh. I hadn't even considered that. Bleh.

Posted by phdhelp on 03-21-05 at 07:58 PM
I think that talent has gone down hill anyway. Hence Boston being able to talk other teams to quit the task. TAR's 1 2 and 3 had a way beter set of teams. Guess thats the way things go. Now for Children I wish it was lower than 12 and my son and I would have Applied with whomever eles I could get. My son is nine is over five feet tall over 180 pounds benches over 80 pounds, cuts grass and is a real go getter on an ATV and dirt bike. I would match him against most 12 year olds in fact he has taken on some high school boys in sports and held his own. All in all though TAR is trying to hard to be all things to all People and is not concentrating on the race.

Posted by 712 on 03-22-05 at 04:46 AM
I'm actually looking forward to it. I think it will be an interesting change of pace... we have had 3 races air in the span of less than a year (TAR5-7), and can't help but feel that we've been a tad bit spoiled because of this. I mean, that's more "Survivor"s than we get in a year! I think a "special edition" race between normal races will help to alleviate any race burnout that might occur before the next "real" race airs.

That is all.

Posted by watermelon on 03-22-05 at 09:24 AM
In terms of a special edition race, a REAL celebrity race (ie not previous Racers) with any proceeds earned being donated to charity instead of the winners actually winning cash might be fun. I think the Queer Eye dudes would be entertaining...