URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 908
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I Hate Quitters!"

Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 10:20 AM
Strategy, schmategy!

Deana, Meredith & Rob... YOU QUIT! Plain and simple.

Quitters never win and winners never quit! I hope none of you win the race!

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I Hate Quitters!"
Posted by Seana on 03-16-05 at 10:30 AM
I'm with you! This bugged me last season with Hayden. I hate the quitting! (And I reserve some venom for that American Idol guy who quit too.) Really, are we just going to do a quit-and-penalty thing when the going gets tough for the rest of the game? It's just wrong.

Posted by joatmon on 03-16-05 at 10:53 AM
You can call it quitting if you want but it is really about continuing the race as fast as possible. If the rules allow for this to happen without completing the task then so be it. It is not the fault of the racers that the rules allow this.
In TAR the only advantage to being first is you may get a prize. The racers know they will all be bunched up again soon and can plan accordingly. All you need to do is avoid being last.
The strategy worked for those that took advantage of the rule change and I can’t see anything wrong with it.

Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 10:54 AM
I thought it was a brilliant move on Rob's part. He's one of the shrewdest players the game has ever had. He knows exactly what he is doing. He didn't break any rules, calculated the move to his advantage, and took the penalty. Because of it, they went from first to fifth place. They are not about coming in first, they are about not getting eliminated. Quitting was risky but only Rob can turn it to his advantage.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by ElroyJetson on 03-16-05 at 01:12 PM
I'm with you Tahj

Posted by arturbars on 03-16-05 at 10:58 AM
Afterall - they did not quit the show... They just took a detour around the challange, it's all within the rules.

I do agree that i am ashamed of Rob for not finishing the meat however, he is a big guy - common toughen up and do it...

"Ummm..."
Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 11:11 AM
Isn't this the "bashers" forum?

Not that there's anything wrong with praising teams here on "bashers".

Just thought I'd give a place to discuss for those of us who don't adore Rob for quitting and convincing others to quit as a strategy.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

"RE: Ummm..."
Posted by Surveysez on 03-16-05 at 11:16 AM

>'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom! And Quitter Hater! Quitters never win and winners never quit!

Um - you're gonna need a bigger tag line space.

I child proofed my house and they still get in.

"RE: Ummm..."
Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 12:48 PM
*snort*

Just for you!

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom! Oh... and... I hate quitters!

Posted by Dizwiz on 03-16-05 at 11:13 AM
>Quitters never win and winners never quit!

Didn't Mike and Carol Brady say that? Gotta love the Brady advice!

Oh yeah....*stalk*

Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 11:16 AM
*snort*

I have no idea where it came from. Some cliches just never get old I guess!

*smooch* to Diz!

Posted by Urban_Kitten on 03-16-05 at 12:00 PM
Let's not give the Brady's too much credit - I mean, Mike was an architect and they had 1 bathroom for 6 kids!

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.
(Bad kitty! Why don't you use the cat box? I put new litter in it.)

Posted by Dizwiz on 03-16-05 at 12:18 PM
LOL, never mind the fact the said bathroom had no toilet!

Posted by Seana on 03-16-05 at 12:05 PM
Actually, a quick question, since the penalty period starts when the next team arrives at the roadblock, does that mean that Debbie/Bianca couldn't quit? Or would their penalty have begun right away. Not that there would have been any advantage in it, just hypothetically speaking.

Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 12:23 PM
I think their penalty would have begun right away.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 12:46 PM
Yeah you're probably right. I was wondering this myself too and I think there was no other way to do it.

I could see how Phil might go out there before the 4 hours is up to eliminate them (because they were the last place team... wait isn't that what happened when Marshall & Lance quit in TAR 5?

Posted by J Slice on 03-16-05 at 12:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-05 AT 12:28 PM (EST)

Quitting a challenge has ruined.this.game.

PERIOD.

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

Posted by ginger on 03-16-05 at 12:33 PM
I thought it was brill, at least for Rawb, but I was wondering what the producers thought of it, too. Bet they build in some kind of anti-quit subparagraph to the rules for next season.

Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 01:32 PM
Nah it hasn't Slice! It just shakes things up a bit and make the Race more interesting. It's not like it's gonna happen every time.

Moves courtesy of Syren
Besides, the producers blew it on this challenge. FOUR lbs of meat!

Posted by Drive My Car on 03-16-05 at 01:38 PM
Four pounds of meat was near impossible for most people.
Normal cuts of meat would have been just as hard.

Posted by Oscirus on 03-16-05 at 12:47 PM
Was it a brilliant move convincing deana to quit with him? yep

Is Rob and the rest of that trio wusses for pulling that card? definately.

they need to go back to imposing 24 hour penalties on teams that wuss out.

Thank you for giving me honor in hat form.

Posted by TechNoir on 03-16-05 at 01:00 PM
They reduced the penalty so that they could have harder challenges. And it worked.

"Fear is just another word for ignorance." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted by Urban_Kitten on 03-16-05 at 01:22 PM
>They reduced the penalty so that they could have harder challenges. And it worked. >

But that doesn't make sense! - vereyone will quite and just sit on their asses for 4 hours while they watch the last team or 2 bust their hump to complete - which is what happened. I'm all for tougher challenges but don't make the escape route easier.
Wankers! Cheaters!! Losers!!!!

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 01:36 PM
There are probably very few situations where that could happen or where many teams will be willing to do that. It happened to work out that way this time.

Nobody cheated.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by Surveysez on 03-16-05 at 01:41 PM
If the loving friends had not gotten lost, and had been one of the teams that started a quitter's 4 hour penalty, I'm betting there would have been a different team eliminated last night. The way she undid her pants and got down to eating as soon as they got there says a four hour penalty would have been a mistake for a quitter. I'd be surprised if it took her over 2 hours to hork that down. It was just the quitters' luck that they were so far behind cause of a driving error.

I don't think a roadblock normally takes over four hours, so with that penalty time in mind, if team A quits, then team B comes in and completes the roadblock in 2 hours, then suddenly team B is 2 hours ahead. This was just a challenge that took a long time to complete. Rob knew they were safe as soon as another team quit, but the others were taking a chance on arrival times.

I child proofed my house and they still get in.

Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 01:50 PM
Unless Rob somehow knew how far behind the other teams were.

Also, he said there was no way he could lose once he got another team involved, but that's not necessarily true, is it. If they had had some kind of problem getting to the pit stop, the other teams could have passed them up.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by Surveysez on 03-16-05 at 01:52 PM
Yes, you are right. He was not safe when another team quit, just ahead of them, which is really all any team can hope to be during the race. But an error getting to the pit stop could have changed things.

I knew that, I was just thinking they were safe in that they were middle pack.

Posted by foonermints on 03-16-05 at 01:42 PM
I'm with you! I hated Rob anyway. He's slimey, like an eel.

It makes the people who follow him eel food. Even worse.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-16-05 at 01:55 PM
But I'll be shocked if anyone else had the same reaction as me,
because I channelled Pink Floyd and thought,

"YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT!"

I don't mind that they quit, because I have a healthy
appreciation of anyone who can work the system to his/her
advantage.

Romber's just another brick in the wall. Heheh.

Posted by ARnutz on 03-16-05 at 02:05 PM
"YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT!"

LMAO! I hope those teams didn't get any pudding (or Dulche le Leche, for that matter) at the pitstop!

Punish them! Withold their dessert!

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-17-05 at 07:23 PM
I'd want to quit if I didn't get any dessert, either.

Some hope that Romber get their "just desserts". I'm not one of them.

"Pink Floyd"
Posted by samboohoo on 03-16-05 at 03:07 PM
Actually, I thought that would be a good title for the summary.

Crowned by Pooh. Decorated by Syren

"RE: Pink Floyd"
Posted by BriarRosie on 03-17-05 at 07:25 PM
What exactly would you call the title? Pink Floyd? Or the
"You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!"?

Any way you say it, I'd think it'd be a fun addition to the summary.

Posted by watermelon on 03-16-05 at 02:00 PM
I didn't appreciate how episode 3 played out either. I admit that Rob was smart in manipulating the rules to suit him... I'm sure he could have seen from how everyone was struggling, that eating those 4 pounds of meat would have taken at least a couple of hours. However, there has to be something wrong with a challenge when taking a penalty takes less time to complete than actually doing the task! Patrick and Bianca finished their challenges - they deserve to be in the race much more than Rob/Amber, Meredith/Gretchen or Ray/Deanna. The penalty should have been longer... not necessarily 24hours... it doesn't have even have to be a fixed length of time for the penalty... maybe take the average time taken to finish the challenge by all the other competitors and add another 2 hours on top of that. Or, alternatively, like what some other people have said, there should have been less meat. Kidneys, intestines, salivary glands and blood sausages are gross enough without having to force yourself to go through 4 pounds of it!

"also..."
Posted by watermelon on 03-16-05 at 02:06 PM
oh... and I also wanted to mention, had Susan/Patrick and Debbianca not got lost, Meredith/Gretchen and Ray/Deanna may not have get to the roadblock before them, and they may well have lost coz they wouldn't have the luxury of quitting. I highly doubt they would have finished the challenge, even with the pressure of other teams' presence.

"RE: also..."
Posted by Tahj on 03-16-05 at 02:23 PM
You're probably right, it would have been a whole different outcome.

I'm just LMAO, though, at Rob. I'll bet even the producers didn't know what they were in for when they chose Rob and Amber as one of the teams. They probably grossly underestimated how sly he could be. My guess is they are loving it.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by joatmon on 03-16-05 at 05:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-05 AT 06:30 PM (EST)

Watermelon

>>>there has to be something wrong with a challenge when taking a penalty takes less time to complete than actually doing the task!<<<
I don't believe anyone can argue with this logic. IMO this is a flaw in the game/race.

>>>Patrick and Bianca finished their challenges - they deserve to be in the race much more than Rob/Amber, Meredith/Gretchen or Ray/Deanna<<<
Emotionally you're probably correct but this is a race and D/B finished last and no racers ahead of them broke the rules. D/B do not deserve to be in the race.
I don't think the rule needs to be changed. I think the roadblocks need to be thought out better. I read a while ago that someone travels the entire route and trys all the roadblocks/detours etc. to make sure that they can be done by every one of the racers. If they did this they should have known that it was very difficult and took quite awhile to complete.

Posted by Oscirus on 03-16-05 at 07:27 PM
I don't think the show was counting on having wusses on their show who would wimp out at their first real sign of difficulty.

Posted by cahaya on 03-16-05 at 02:39 PM
Here's my take on all this:

1. Robber (he stole the 'ber' from Amber's name) has added quite a lot of intrigue into the Race. He managed to convince Deana to quit and Ray & Deana in turn managed to convince Meredith to quit. Robber's strategy could have seriously backfired if no other team had taken up his offer to jointly quit and the last two teams (Susan & Patrick and Debbie & Bianca) weren't so far behind. I think the issue here is not who quit, but who did the scheming. A last note: The Boston Red Sox did not quit, not even being a run down in the 8th inning in the 4th game in an 0-3 series. Take off that cap, put on a Yankees cap and roll over, dude! You're a disgrace to the Bosox spirit that rose out of last year's pennant race and world series.

2. Ray & Deana wussed out and took a great risk in succumbing to Robber's advice. They could have well finished last place. What's worse is that they managed to convince Meredith to quit, and had the last two teams not been so far behind, we would have found our dear, would'nt-hurt-a-fly senior citizens out of the race. For shame, Ray!

3. Honestly, I think Meredith was wise to pass up on four pounds of high-cholesterol red meat for his own sake, even if it meant taking the great risk of finishing in last place and being eliminated. Four pounds of meat is unhealthy for anyone, but far more so for someone of Meredith's age. Anyway, I have a notion this will be Meredith and Gretchen's last week (or next to last week) on TAR, so let's give them a break.

Finally, ill deeds have a way of returning back to their perpetrators (perv-a-traitors), and I have a notion it'll cost Am & Robber that 1 mill they're willing to sell their soul to the devil for.

"cahaya" (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

Posted by nailbone on 03-16-05 at 02:42 PM
So it's OK for Meredith to "pass up" on eating all that meat, but Rob is a "quitter" and "a disgrace to the Bosox spirit" for doing the same thing.

Right.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Posted by cahaya on 03-16-05 at 03:03 PM
What I hate more than quitters, are quitters who encourage others to quit.

Posted by bystander on 03-16-05 at 03:35 PM
I think the penalty for quitting should be you have to wait until the last team finishes the task. That way you really put yourself in jeopardy if there is a lag between teams (which there really isn't on this season with all the bunching)

Posted by nailbone on 03-16-05 at 03:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-05 AT 03:53 PM (EST)

What I hate more than quitters, are quitters who encourage others to quit.

But do you hate the quitters that quit because they are encouraged to quit the most?

Cuz they're quitters AND morons.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by cahaya on 03-16-05 at 04:47 PM
As I was watching the show, my very first impression was that the real moron is the guy who came up with the idea of TAR racers eating four pounds of meat in one sitting. This moron should quit his/her job. This roadblock task was, shall we say, in poor taste.

"Love this Roadblock and...I Hate Quitters too!"
Posted by momotoo on 03-17-05 at 02:13 AM
>As I was watching the show,
>my very first impression was
>that the real moron is
>the guy who came up
>with the idea of TAR
>racers eating four pounds of
>meat in one sitting.
>This moron should quit his/her
>job. This roadblock task was,
>shall we say, in poor
>taste.

Now why would someone come up with such an idea (and the producers to even OK it) if it cannot be physically/humanly completed/done ? Ron did it. Brian did it. And so did those who didn't quit. It was a roadblock that the producers knew would take a much longer time to complete than any other types of roadblock (remember the carviar, the fish soup, the egg ?). Now tell me you haven't been to a barbeque outing where you'd just eat and eat and eat in a span of, what, 3 or 4 hours ? I know I can chow down those meats if you give me half a day ! But of course, this was a race, so the trick prolly was to break up the meats into little teeny weeny bite sizes and slowly work them into your tummy...like what Patrick did. Clever.

And didn't Phil say that these meats are considered delicacies or specialties for the locals ? Granted, we were not told if the locals normally eat 4 lbs in one sitting, but I have watched enough food/travel shows to know that there are such huge meals in certain parts of the world.

"RE: Love this Roadblock and...I Hate Quitters too!"
Posted by cahaya on 03-17-05 at 02:23 PM
Good points there about how people can eat a lot over a day-long picnic. Four pounds is equivalent to what you'd find in 16 quarter-pounder burgers. There's a steakhouse I've heard about that offers a 48-oz (3-lb) steak meal for free if you can finish it within an hour. Few people do.

Why I think these food binge roadblocks are in bad taste is simply because many of the contestants end up being physically sick after taking in far more food than what's good for the body. Even too much water can be fatal. The other thing about the food binge roadblock is that they really don't teach the viewer much about the local cousine/fare.

Perhaps some viewers might find it even more exciting to see teams arrive in some place like VietNam, where the cousine could easily include dog, rat, or cockroaches. Let's find more interesting roadblocks, TAR producers!

"cahaya"

"RE: Love this Roadblock and...I Hate Quitters too!"
Posted by okaychatt on 03-19-05 at 11:23 AM
<are such huge meals in certain parts of the world

There probably are, but I doubt pails are set out for vomiting.

I guess the producers don't think about the feelings of the Hungarian restaurant owner or the people that prepared their country's delicacies for the racers. I think it's a bit of an insult to have people getting sick on what you consider a delicacy.

I wonder if the people preparing the food realize what is about to happen.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Posted by dirob on 03-17-05 at 01:06 AM
LMAO! Good one nailbone! (and the earlier response too!)

i'll be looking out for your posts from now on when you find contradictions and double-standards!

and as for "quitting"...i'd rather use the term "taking the penalty". there are so many kinds of games where players are still in the game even if they take the penalty.

and TAR is one of them.

Posted by cahaya on 03-17-05 at 02:10 PM
> and as for "quitting"...i'd rather use the term "taking the penalty"

There's a double standard right there. ARnutz said it correctly from the beginning, a "quitter" is a quitter. "Penalties" in any sport or game are there to encourage fair play and discourage foul play. One TAR team in particular encourages foul play, even to the extent of encouraging it from other teams. Is this what we want to watch in TAR? This depends on who the viewer is.

"cahaya"

Posted by dirob on 03-17-05 at 04:23 PM
>> and as for "quitting"...i'd rather use the term "taking the penalty"
>
>There's a double standard right there.

Oooooo....k, i'm not sure where the double standard is in my statement. But let me get back to that in a bit.

> ARnutz said it correctly
>from the beginning, a "quitter"
>is a quitter.

I admit that English is my 2nd language so my usual definition or synonym for "Quit" is to "Stop". BUT I also know that there is a negative connotation to the word quit. (Thus all the hate.) Though doesn't quitting ALSO connote a non-continuance of whatever action was stopped? And wouldn't that mean that since the 3 teams who quit shouldn't be in the race anymore? Like if you quit your job, you don't have that job anymore?

Ok ok before you accuse me of splitting hairs, please allow me to get to my other point. I mentioned "taking the penalty" as my way of seeing what happened in the roadblock because that is the result of not doing the task or in Phil's words, "not able to complete the task". The 3 teams decided that they couldn't complete the task thus they take the penalty as a consequence. In other games it's similar. Take poker for example. if you have a bad hand and you don't think you have a chance to win, you fold and the penalty is losing the money that you placed on the table. (Ok, that may have been a really lame analogy but that's the best one i can come up with right now at 5am...)

>"Penalties"
>in any sport or
>game are there to encourage
>fair play and discourage foul
>play. One TAR team
>in particular encourages foul play,
>even to the extent of
>encouraging it from other teams.

Yes, I totally agree with your definition of penalty in the context of sports, games or contests, but i'm not too sure about your definition of foul play. By standard definition, a "foul" (noun) is any action that goes against the written set of rules for that particular sport/game/contest. I'm sure you've been reading the boards and a whole lot of people who openly despise Romber as a person or how he plays have admitted that he was well within the rules. So if he hasn't broken any of the rules, he hasn't commited any fouls. He's playing by the rules and turning them inside and out. He understands them and analyzes them so he has an edge over the other players. Coaches and Quarterbacks in football do this all the time to exploit weaknesses in other teams or to make up for their own shortcomings. So using the rules to your advantage shouldn't be seen as foul play.

As to encouraging other teams to commit foul play-ok let's assume for the moment that you're right and they are using foul play, i disagree. They didn't encourage anyone. I'm lucky enough to have 2 channels air TAR on 2 different timeslots (live in the morning and replays at night) and a cable station that plays the episode 4 times during that day so i've watched the episode more than a couple of times now. Rob never suggested or openly tell Deana or Meredith that they should quit. All he said was "I don't think you can do it". The words "you should quit too" weren't uttered. (I can see a litany of "that part was edited out" coming right at me soon!) What followed next was a discussion of the rules regarding the penalty if you couldn't complete the task. That's when they decided to take the penalty too. (You live in malaysia right? I'm sure you have the AXN channel over there and there'll be replays this coming sunday afternoon and tues night. Check it out.)

Psychological warfare, yes. Encouraging foul play, i don't think so. It's like trash-talking that you see in the NBA, NFL, NHL, hell even in 9-Ball billiard competitions! Again well within the rules and definitely a part of EVERY game in this planet. And that's why they coined the term "Gamesmanship."

> Is this what we
>want to watch in
>TAR? This depends on
>who the viewer is.

And this viewer says, "Hell yeah I wanna watch this on TAR!" It's fun and it puts a smile on my face. Let the gamesmanship begin! And continue!
>
hiya "cahaya"!

Posted by nailbone on 03-17-05 at 05:00 PM
Correct on all counts, dirob ('cept that Romber refers both Rob and Amber as a team). And the poker analogy is spot on. Rob folded that particular hand, and lost the four hours, in favor of a better hand (not having to eat that stuff and still not being eliminated).

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by cahaya on 03-18-05 at 00:00 AM
Hiya, dirob,

>I admit that English is my 2nd language so my usual definition or synonym for "Quit" is to "Stop".

See later in this thread, with ARnutz' complete definition!

> Take poker for example. if you have a bad hand and you don't think you have a chance to win, you fold and the penalty is losing the money that you placed on the table. (Ok, that may have been a really lame analogy but that's the best one i can come up with right now at 5am...)

Actually, a pretty good analogy. I do agree that the quit move and strategy to convince other teams to do the same was a gambit (chess strategy) or finesse (bridge strategy) of its own.

I'll give Rob credit for introducing strategy to the game. Combine this with his persuasive skills that could probably talk the weak-minded (including foreign bus drivers and taxi drivers!) into doing just about anything he asks. My gripe is that I think he is being manipulative to the extent that goes beyond what I'd consider 'fair play' in TAR (Survivor is another matter), even if he is playing 'within the rules'.

>I'm lucky enough to have 2 channels air TAR on 2 different timeslots.

Likewise. Here in Malaysia it shows at 8 p.m. (that's about 8 a.m. EST after it has been shown in the U.S.), and then aired again at midnight and several times. Like you, I usually view it at least a second time with the benefit of hindsight. CBS also does a summary post that's worth reading if you missed out on the quotes.

> Rob never suggested or openly tell Deana or Meredith that they should quit. All he said was "I don't think you can do it". The words "you should quit too" weren't uttered. (I can see a litany of "that part was edited out".

Well, that's the problem in making any judgments about any of the teams, really. We're shown a very small slice of what really happens, and that slice is chosen for us by producers who have commercial profit from entertainment interests in mind. Maybe later, I'll start a thread on this issue.

>> Is this what we want to watch in TAR? This depends on who the viewer is.

>And this viewer says, "Hell yeah I wanna watch this on TAR!" It's fun and it puts a smile on my face. Let the gamesmanship begin! And continue!

I'll smile with you, even if I disagree. As you can tell from this and other threads, there is a wide range of opinion on this issue. I'll say this, though -- Rob's moves have injected some excitement to what could have been a boring TAR season, whether you love or hate the way he plays the game. It will be fun to see Rob get his just desserts, if it comes to that, as other teams wise up (and they'd better or they wont Survive!).

>hiya "cahaya"!

backatcha, "dirob"!

"Quitter question"
Posted by DearAbby on 03-16-05 at 03:47 PM
After a team member quit, would s/he have been allowed to change her/his mind and try to finish the 4 lbs. of meat?

"RE: Quitter question"
Posted by nailbone on 03-16-05 at 03:54 PM
I'm thinking they haven't officially quit on a task until they move on and do the next task (or pit stop).

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by cahaya on 03-17-05 at 02:34 PM
I couldn't find an 'unofficial' TAR rulebook online, but it's either what you say or it's from the time they officially say "I quit" and the penalty clock starts running. It would be interesting to know which is actually true, given that a team might later realize they'd end up in last place unless they returned to the task. Had Susan & Patrick and Debbie and Bianca not got lost for so long, Meredith & Gretchen could have easily been eliminated if they had to wait out the entire penalty period without being able to return to the task.

"cahaya"

Posted by nailbone on 03-17-05 at 03:21 PM
I'm still thinking that they haven't officially quit until the time runs out and they start the next task, and that even if the penalty clock starts running, they can say "Oh, OK, I'll just do the roadblock" and finish the roadblock without penalty.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by Oscirus on 03-18-05 at 08:47 AM
Supposedly according to the insider Patrick had quit but was just pretending to do the task to fake the girls out at least that what was said over there on sucks.

"uhm, people blinded by hatred for Rob...."
Posted by shakes the clown on 03-17-05 at 04:35 PM
...Rob didn't quit. Its a race, the only thing you can do that would qualify as "quitting" is to remove yourself from the RACE, not removing yourself from a challenge!

Using strategy at a roadblock to create an advantage for your team is a GOOD move, no matter how it is accomplished.

If you are too stupid to see that then you are either truly dumb or just so anti-Rob that anything he does will be construed negatively by you.

If this show was called Amazing Challenges and each show the winner of the challenge won that stage of the race then you would have a point, but the point of this show is to not be last at the pit stop and Rob accomplished that with plenty of time to spare. how does that qualify as quitting???

It doesn't!

"RE: uhm, people blinded by hatred for Rob...."
Posted by dirob on 03-17-05 at 04:46 PM
FINALLY!

A sane voice amidst all the madness in here! Thanks for Shaking some sense into this discussion! (I kinda said the same thing above to cahaya but you beat me to it! )

Props to ya!

Posted by nailbone on 03-17-05 at 05:03 PM
A sane voice

Holey carp!! Shakes is now a "sane voice"?!?!? It truly is the beginning of the end of the world!!! Armageddon, here we come!!

New from Sigs by Syren!!

No offense to you, dirob. You and Shakes and I think alike on this one. You have to know Shakes to understand my comments above.

Posted by dirob on 03-18-05 at 02:18 AM
none taken actually. i laughed at my computer screen. (i'm doin that a lot now...) i completely got it, given my scant knowledge of both of you.

I also look forward to his messages. Even if i'm not interested in the discussion thread, i still scan the entries lookin out for shakes.

yeah i agree, we'd all probably get along...over copious amounts of alcohol and stimulants!

Posted by Robotext on 03-17-05 at 05:01 PM
Smart strategy on Rob's part, but still seems like a flaw in the system. I think those teams that quit...er um...failed to complete the task...should have been put into their own category by say making them all wait (no matter when they stopped the task) a certain time limit (perhaps 2 hours) after the last team successfully completes the task. This way it turns into a race between those teams at the end. I think this rewards those teams that completed the grueling task, yet still makes it possible for them to get eliminated if they get completely lost afterwards (a seemingly common occurrence in the last episode) and are passed by one of the "uncompleted task" teams.

By the way, this is bashers right? So people can go ahead and pour the hate on ol'Boston Rob as long as they do not insult other posters.

Where is the love? That is why we have fanatics!

Posted by nailbone on 03-17-05 at 05:16 PM
Bash away. But I think the Clown is saying to separate the gameplay bashing from the "I hate Rob" bashing.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by Robotext on 03-17-05 at 05:30 PM
Why the distinction? As long as its not the same person repeating the same thing over and over again (some Rupert rants come to mind) everything should be fair game (okay, except for race or sexual preference rants).

All those who hate Romber (or just Rob) speak up!

Let's extend this thread...

Posted by LibraRising on 03-17-05 at 09:01 PM
Arf!

Anti-Rob since 2002.

Posted by Snidget on 03-17-05 at 05:13 PM
Even though I agree with the "however you want to use, bend and abuse the rules to stay in the game, go for it crowd"...

I still found myself refering to Boston Rob as "OstenRob" all day.

Must need more drugs...or less drugs...one of the two.

Posted by nailbone on 03-17-05 at 05:33 PM
Maybe just different drugs.

Rob didn't quit the game like Osten did. He just avoided a challenge. And it didn't cost him or his team anything.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by samiam on 03-17-05 at 07:27 PM
According to the rules, when faced with a challenge, a team may do two things: 1) perform the challenge; 2) avoid the challenge and take a four-hour penalty. Rob took option 2. I'm not really sure what the problem with this is, other than none of the other morons who've participated in this "race" managed to think of this as a strategic advantage yet.

Think of it as a fast forward, only backwards.

"it is you blinded by your rob love "
Posted by Oscirus on 03-17-05 at 07:24 PM
How is quitting a challenge because you don't feel like it not quitting?
Yes the move after was smart but he definately quit.

Posted by ARnutz on 03-17-05 at 10:06 PM
Hi shakes! Welcome to my thread!

If you don't complete a task, it is quitting. Deana, Meredith and Rob are all quitters!

quit < kwit >

~ verb

2. transitive and intransitive verb stop doing something: to stop doing something, especially something bad or irritating

quit·ter < kwíttər > (plural quit·ters)

~ noun

somebody who gives up: somebody who gives up easily ( informal )

Was Rob's move a brilliant strategy? No. Was it dumb luck? Yes.

~ He quit the task with no guarantee that another team would quit too. Instead he got lucky that he was able to convince, not one, but two other teams to quit.

~ He had no knowledge of how far back the lost teams were. Again he got lucky that they were so far behind.

If this did not work, then people would be on here calling him an idiot because he was eliminated or whatever.

FYI: I am not blinded by hatred for Rob. I liked him until he did this. I have never watched Survivor and I thought this team was doing great in the previous legs.

Guess that makes me dumb!

Also, I can't fault him for playing by the rules and figuring out what would work to keep them in the game.

I have, however, lost a lot of respect for all three of these quitters.

I can't believe this thread turned into "The Love/Hate Rob Thread"!

What about the other quitters people???? Where's the hatred for Meredith and Deana???

C'mon people... the god-like a$$ clown has spoken!

Posted by nailbone on 03-18-05 at 10:14 AM
~ He quit the task with no guarantee that another team would quit too. Instead he got lucky that he was able to convince, not one, but two other teams to quit.

And I think that if he hadn't gotten the other teams to quit like he did, he would have gone ahead and done the challenge.

~ He had no knowledge of how far back the lost teams were. Again he got lucky that they were so far behind.

Didn't matter. He only needed one team behind him to quit with him. Even if the next team in was just a few minutes later, that's a few minutes headstart he'd have on the teams he convinced to quit with him.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Posted by ARnutz on 03-18-05 at 02:11 PM
You are right, he may have completed the challenge if nobody else quit, but he would have delayed his own completion by using the time to strategize.

... and yes, he only needed one other team to quit to insure he wasn't last.

As I said, I can't fault him for trying and it did work, but it was a huge risk.

I just have less respect for the man because he chose to give up and I also feel the same about Deana & Meredith!

... again, I'm not anti-Rob, I'm anti-quitters.

*waves* to Boner!

Posted by nailbone on 03-18-05 at 02:57 PM

New from Sigs by Syren!!

*waves back* to Nutzie!

Posted by tvgeek401 on 03-17-05 at 11:01 PM
But didn't Rob quit first and then come up with a solution to his problem?

I agree that it was a good (and risky) strategy to get other teams to quit, too, but he was the first one to throw in the towel on that challenge. Argue with me all you want, but he QUIT the challenge. He agrees with me. I believe I heard the words 'I quit' come out of his mouth, did I not?

He used the quit option to his advantage, which is good strategically, but he still quit. I may hate Rob, but I never said he wasn't a smart player. It's pretty impressive to give up and still manage to get top five.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!

Posted by watermelon on 03-18-05 at 05:59 AM
Yes on all accounts:
1. He quit, and THEN Ray and Deanna came along, he saw Deanna struggling and used that to his advantage. THEN, it was Ray/Deanna who convinced Meredith/Gretchen to quit also. Smart on Rob's part? Yes. Quitter? Yes also.

2. Yes, he did admit, "I quit, I'm done, I can't do it, there's no way I'm gonna be able to finish it" - the useless wimp!

"RE: uhm, people blinded by hatred for..."
Posted by Robotext on 03-18-05 at 05:08 PM
2. Amber probably would not agree.

I still think this is a rules problem. The last thing I want is these knuckleheads to get it in their heads that they can quit challenges and still avoid elimination. That would definitely not be beneficial for the game, and I hope none of these three teams win at the end over a team that actually completed all of the tasks!

Hey look, I actually did this without even mentioning...

"No"
Posted by FesterFan1 on 03-19-05 at 07:00 PM
But didn't Rob quit first and then come up with a solution to his problem?

No, he didn't. He asked Amber what happens if he couldn't finish the task. Amber told him there would be a 4-hour penalty from the time the next team arrived. Rob then did the math. 4 teams had yet to arrive. The meant he only had to convince one team to quit after he did in order to guarantee not being eliminated. Looking around at how everyone was struggling, he knew it wouldn't take much to convince someone else to quit. Then he decided to take the penalty.

Ray and Deana arrived shortly thereafter, and it took Rob all of 2 minutes to convince Deana to quit. Not brilliant strategy/scheming? If it isn't, then brilliance doesn't exist in this race.

People want to reinvent history to make it "lucky" that Rob was successful in his strategy.

Fester

"RE: No"
Posted by udg on 03-20-05 at 04:47 PM
Deana had given up before Rob came over to con her. The only thing Rob did was convince her that giving up on the task didn't necessarily mean losing the leg. He did it to cover his own butt, but the fact is, she already believed that she couldn't do it, and believing it is often 99% of the battle.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004
As soon as you say, "I can't!" it becomes true.

"Amen"
Posted by FesterFan1 on 03-19-05 at 06:49 PM
You got a gripe about how that episode went down? Take it up with Bert Van Munstram (or whatever the hell his name is) not Rob. All Rob did was assess his situation and make the only logical decision he could've made.

Like Shakes said, "quitting" means willfully leaving the game not a challenge. What Rob did was strategy, plain and simple. In short, he turned a Roadblock into a Detour: "a choice between two tasks, each with their own pros and cons".

Fester
Shakes is wicked smaht.

"RE: Amen"
Posted by Oscirus on 03-22-05 at 12:33 PM
Your boy quit because he didn't think he could do the task. You can mess with the definition all day however he still did quit regardless of what it was that he failed to do. Just because he didn't leave the game doesn't make him any less of a quitter.

"RE: Amen"
Posted by tvgeek401 on 03-22-05 at 08:34 PM
hear, hear.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!
Huzzah to Oscirus!

Posted by phdhelp on 03-17-05 at 09:33 PM
Ok First I will start by saying it should be 4 hours from the next teams completion on the task and not when the arrive. This gives a full four hour penalty. Second Boton is taking all of my ideas. At work I am pure evil and would have been a good match against him

Posted by ARnutz on 03-17-05 at 10:09 PM
Welcome to the boards!

At work I am pure evil and would have been a good match against him

Well, you'll fit in nicely around here!

Quitters never win and winners never quit!

Posted by GameOver3 on 03-17-05 at 11:55 PM
You do not have to quit the entire show to be a quitter.

Lets look back at Shawna in Survivor: Amazon. She quit when she begged her tribe to vote her off. But, she was not voted off because they decided to keep Joanna. Shawna is still a quitter in the books of many people, including me. Her tribemates trapped her in a game where she had quit and given up.

Rob quit the task, he is a quitter. But, because of how luck turned out, he is still in the race, but is a quitter because he quit and gave up on the task. Same for Meredith and Deana. Quitters who lucked out and were not eliminated.

Posted by joatmon on 03-18-05 at 05:00 PM
Since it is now obvious that it is possible to remain in the race and not complete a roadblock then the roadblock becomes optional. Because of this all the roadblocks will be optional in the future. In most cases completing the roadblock will be the best option.
I don’t know about you but when I am faced with options I consider them all. Rob obviously decided that not completing the roadblock was better for him. If it hadn’t worked out he would have looked pretty stupid but it worked.
Now go look up optional, I don’t believe the dictionary defines one of the options as quitting.

Posted by Ruthless on 03-18-05 at 05:24 PM
While I don't like the idea of those who fail to finish a task being allowed to finish in the race ahead of those who completed the task, the rules allowed them to quit the roadblock and take the penalty.

In most roadblocks, a 4 hour penalty would probably have been more than enough time lost to put the quitting team out of the race. In this case, because two teams were so far behind and the roadblock took some teams a long time to complete, the quitters were able to stay ahead of the rest of the pack.

Should the 4 hour penalty be reviewed for future races? Should it be longer, say 6 hours? Should it be a requirement that they sit at the roadblock until the last team completes it and then they can leave with them, or should they wait say another half hour? This would make it fairer for the later teams who complete the roadblock. But then what if the last time to arrive decides to not do the roadblock, are they allowed to leave at the same time as the other quitters, or should they receive a time penalty?

I haven't seen this episode, or the TAR6 Hayden/Aaron quitting one yet either, but my understanding of it from recaps is that Hayden and Rebecca were both having difficulty completing the roadblock. The time for leaving the site was fast approaching, and Hayden thought if neither of them found it, they would both have to quit, both would get the 4 hour penalty, but whoever got to the pitstop first would not be eliminated as both would have earned the same penalty. She figured that if it came to a footrace to the pitstop, she and Aaron would be able to beat Rebecca and Adam. As it turned out, Rebecca found the lock at the very last minute, so only Hayden and Aaron were left to complete the roadblock. But they didn't really quit, they had no option. The last gondola was leaving soon, they couldn't stay at the site any longer, and coming back the next day (12 hours later) to finish was not an option. They didn't quit as such, time simply ran out for them.

Even though Hayden was talking about quitting, she was saying it from a strategic point of view - being able to outrun the other team to the pitstop, much the same as Rob would have been thinking. Okay, if I quit, I have to wait 4 hours after the next team gets here. There's still quite a few teams left, some of them will have difficulty completing the roadblock, so I'll quit, take my penalty, not make myself sick, and still be in good shape to get to the pitstop quickly, unlike the others, who will be full from eating all this.

The others no doubt followed this train of thought as well, and in the end it paid off for them. It wasn't cheating, it was using the rules to your best advantage. Smart thinking.

Posted by louislam on 03-19-05 at 02:04 AM
I agree with ARnutz. I think that those 3 teams who quitted only got luck to stay in the race, since they didn't know Susan/Patrick and Debbie/Bianca were so far behind, so I don't think quitting is a brilliant move.

And I also think that if (i) Rob couldn't get other teams to quit, (ii) Susan/Patrick and Debbie/Bianca were not far behind, and finally making himself being eliminated, many posters would bash him like they did on Hayden. Personally, I think Hayden's move was not bad, since she had tried to do the roadblock for 4 hours and it was very likely that she and Rebecca couldn't finish the task before 7pm, so the only option she got was to arrive the pitstop first and took the penalty first. However, Rebecca got the luck to open the lock in last minute (no one could predict this would happen), so there was nothing Hayden could do then. What Hayden did was really a strategy but didn't work out, and no one seemed to realize that.

Also, I think if you quit a task and take the penalty, you could not change your decision later. So if Rob couldn't persuade others to quit, he couldn't go back to the roadblock again. But I think he was very confident to persuade others since he had few alliances and he seemed to be the leader.

The Amazing Race Fan from Hong Kong!

Posted by okaychatt on 03-19-05 at 11:17 AM
<YOU QUIT! Plain and simple

Nutz - We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

Yeah, Rob quit, but he had a plan, and it worked.

If I knew I could get out of eating something that would make me vomit, I'd use whatever means that came to hand.

If I could think of a way to keep my body as fit as possible for the next leg of the race, I'd use it.

Rob made the rules work for him. Plain and simple.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

"IN MY OPINION..."
Posted by kittykat_08 on 04-01-05 at 01:19 AM
okay they quit the challenge. they didnt win the leg. there. but it didnt bother me that they quit or that romber came in first in the next leg. it was strategy and we just have to deal.
its not that they dont deserve to win because the rules allow it ( but ofcourse with a consequence, and they dealt with the consequence so all is fair) so im okay if one of them wins.

they paid the price for quit and if one of them still wins TAR then that team really does deserve to win.