URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 908
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Being Human - BBC"

Posted by Tummy on 04-13-11 at 01:14 PM
Whatever will Being Human - America do now that the real Aidan Turner is gone from the BBC show of the same name? I mean they have followed the same script minus the character development.

Will they kill off Aidan Turner since Aidan Turner's John Mitchell is dead? (confusing isn't it? )

I admit, I cried. I cried ugly. I love the BBC version, not so much the American version, but it's just not going to be the same without Mitchell. Damn that Peter Jackson and his damn Hobbits!

Floating my cares away with Agman - 2011

Table of contents
  • RE: Being Human - BBC,Estee, 01:28 PM, 04-13-11
    • RE: Being Human - BBC,Tummy, 03:13 PM, 04-13-11
      • RE: Being Human - BBC,CTgirl, 10:57 PM, 04-14-11
        • RE: Being Human - BBC,CTgirl, 01:04 PM, 04-15-11
        • RE: Being Human - BBC,Tummy, 05:44 PM, 05-11-11
        • RE: Being Human - BBC,Estee, 01:21 PM, 05-12-11
  • US Season 2 premieres January.,Estee, 02:08 PM, 11-18-11
    • The horror renews 1/16.,Estee, 01:59 PM, 01-11-12
    • Episode #1.,Estee, 11:35 AM, 01-17-12
      • RE: Episode #1.,Tummy, 10:14 AM, 01-18-12
  • Oh...,Estee, 01:01 PM, 01-31-12
    • RE: Oh...,Tummy, 06:55 PM, 02-01-12
  • It's as true as it was last year.,Estee, 03:42 PM, 02-07-12
  • Renewed for Season #3.,Estee, 08:44 PM, 02-09-12
    • RE: Renewed for Season #3.,Starshine, 07:23 AM, 02-10-12
      • RE: Renewed for Season #3.,Estee, 11:43 AM, 02-10-12
      • RE: Renewed for Season #3.,Tummy, 05:42 PM, 03-05-12
  • Menage a murder.,Estee, 03:32 PM, 02-14-12
  • Uninvited.,Estee, 07:46 AM, 03-06-12
  • A new national holiday.,Estee, 09:01 AM, 04-03-12
  • Season #2 finale.,Estee, 05:49 AM, 04-10-12
    • RE: Season #2 finale.,CTgirl, 08:18 PM, 05-15-12
      • Let's find out.,Estee, 05:44 PM, 01-10-13
  • Minor spoilers.,Estee, 10:35 AM, 01-14-13
  • Premiere.,Estee, 11:46 AM, 01-15-13
    • RE: Premiere.,batts, 00:49 AM, 01-21-13
      • RE: Premiere.,Estee, 09:49 AM, 01-21-13
  • It's not a bug, it's a feature!,Estee, 10:51 AM, 01-22-13
    • RE: It's not a bug, it's a feature!,batts, 03:43 AM, 02-05-13
  • RE: Being Human - BBC,batts, 02:16 AM, 03-14-13
    • RE: Being Human - BBC,CTgirl, 12:09 PM, 03-14-13

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Being Human - BBC"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 01:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-11 AT 01:38 PM (EST)

minus the character development.

*mutter*

They've got some time before they have to worry about it: if they keep following the rough storyline (minus a few script mistakes from the original -- 'back through the door' comes to mind), it'll be a season or two before they have to adapt it. Or they could just go the Office route and strike out for new shores. For now, I'm just glad we've got a confirmed second season to worry about it in. And it's not as if the British writers haven't used 'and here he is, back in a completely different body!' before...

On this side of the pond, I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Nora -- at least as far as Joshwolf's reaction to her (the sniff from under the door) in the season finale goes -- and their chances for future children. Why she lost the fetus was fairly simple: it shifted when Josh did. Either it was too fragile to survive the process either/or (and this is the potentially interesting bit) her body couldn't handle the revised demands of an altered passenger. Her reaction in the hallway could be filed in either category, plus the possibility of some internal damage.

Originally, I'd hoped for the usual two fleeting seconds that Joshwolf's 'oh, it's you' sniff meant there was a little bit of him in there somewhere -- at least enough to only test the air instead of testing the door. But then we saw the scratches -- and it flipped into 'oh, it's my just-created offspring. Can't kill that one... how you doin'?' The hallmark of the series: no matter how bad things currently are, there's always another layer of torture waiting below you.

But if Nora has been infected/converted -- should she and Josh conceive again, then she'll shift at the same time the fetus does: pregnant humanform with a human fetus to pregnant wolf with a future cub. That could potentially mean not miscarrying -- and the idea of a werewolf baby may be too good for the writers to pass up, at least for the three weeks of show time before someone kidnaps the kid to use as a future slave.

Posted by Tummy on 04-13-11 at 03:13 PM
I'm going to have to try to watch the American version again and see if I can't get over my aversion to it.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-14-11 at 10:57 PM
I have just watched the entire season of the Syfy version this week and I really liked it. I do like Josh and Annie better than Aidan (and isn't Aidan supposed to be the star of the show?!) I am psyched for season two. They really are three tortured souls aren't they.

What is it Tummy that you don't like about the new version? I haven't seen the BBC one yet or is it just that they were too similar and of course the second time around won't be as good as the first?

Posted by CTgirl on 04-15-11 at 01:04 PM
Oh and I forgot to say that after watching a season of Mark Pellegrino as Bishop, that Jacob was definitely bad (and creepy too)!

I was happy to see him die.

Posted by Tummy on 05-11-11 at 05:44 PM
Honestly, I think it's just comparing the characters and character development to the original. And to be fair, the BBC version has had a little while to develop. And you're right, the storyline has followed such a similar path that it's like watching a re-run but with characters I'm not invested in.

Posted by Estee on 05-12-11 at 01:21 PM
They really are three tortured souls aren't they.

One of my favorite lines from TVTropes: "Watching this show is a little like watching a train wreck full of little children that manages to spiral into an orphanage and explode a pound full of cute, fluffy bunnies."

"US Season 2 premieres January."
Posted by Estee on 11-18-11 at 02:08 PM
My Season #1 set arrived in the mail this morning and that notice was on the cover sticker. Brace yourselves: things are somehow going to find ways to become still worse...

"The horror renews 1/16."
Posted by Estee on 01-11-12 at 01:59 PM
Monday night. I've already braced myself.

The theme this year is supposed to be 'The more human you try to be, the more monstrous you become'. Which may just say something about what the base species is in the first place...

"Episode #1."
Posted by Estee on 01-17-12 at 11:35 AM
On what will probably be the season's one and only bright side, at least now Nora can see and hear the person she's trying to talk to.

There was a bit of Idiot Ball communication failure last night -- 'It's been a month and I can't bring up the possibility that you infected me with the werewolf syndrome. But I have found new and interesting excuses for having sex' -- plus the suspense moment at the end really doesn't work when you show a season preview cell right after it. And it's very easy to read Mother's promise to free Aidan from all other vampires as 'Once I'm done with you, I will cut your head off', which makes you wonder if he has...

Overall, though, a decent start to the season. Sally's reunion trip had a good balance between comedy and pathos: the class shallow twit's even better at being dead than everyone else... And where does the relationship between two werewolves go from here? Who is Aidan being asked to serve as the power behind the throne? How many seconds will it take for the assassination attempt to come out? And how much worse can everyone's lives get?

I can answer that last one: much.

"RE: Episode #1."
Posted by Tummy on 01-18-12 at 10:14 AM
I watched the Season One marathon and then the premiere of Season Two yesterday.

Still having trouble liking the American version because of the BBC version. I just like Annie and Nina more than Sally and Nora. Plus the fact that I already know these storylines. Maybe when they catch up to the BBC timeline it'll be more interesting. Although I do think they are going to tweak Aidan's story towards a longer shelf life over Mitch's.

"Oh..."
Posted by Estee on 01-31-12 at 01:01 PM
...that Julia.

*wince*

And apparently Josh is a lot more strong-willed than we ever thought: try to catch him stalking prey...

Still, the question of the episode may have just become 'What do we do about Aidan's meal tickets?' I'm guessing his type of vampire can't survive on animal blood or he would have been going that route before this: those supplies just about have to be less guarded and in a city the size of Boston, there's more than enough strays and ferals to live on. He can't get an easy promotion and be given the code: his mind control powers barely function. finding work at another hospital takes time and the more blood he grabs there, the better his odds of their declaring lockdown too. As he seems to be the only cold turkey vampire in existence, there's no thriving market in black market blood bags... Problems all around and no ready solutions.

And I don't trust Reincarnation Nurse. She may just be using ghost energy to heal the babies while dissipating the spirit's consciousness -- although whether she knows it becomes a disturbing issue. If ghosts are just medical fodder, then any one will do and she wouldn't have rejected Sally -- but if she honestly feels she's giving both parties a second chance...

"RE: Oh..."
Posted by Tummy on 02-01-12 at 06:55 PM
I'm liking that they're verying away from some of the BBC storylines. BBC starts this month I think, but so many of the characters have left or are leaving that it won't be the same show.

"It's as true as it was last year."
Posted by Estee on 02-07-12 at 03:42 PM
The single worst part about vampire sex is being the one who has to clean up afterwards.

Better tackle this one by character...

Aidan: 'And in the event of my absence, the part of your blood doll will be filled by a sudden realization of your monstrosity.'

Somehow, I never pictured him as someone who would produce another vampire voluntarily -- but as he's said, we didn't know him back then and the Aidan of the 30s is, put mildly, not a particularly nice guy. Last season he got to work on his daddy issues and this season he gets to work on -- his daddy issues, only from the position of the dad. Is it any coincidence that the central power in the current problem is named Mother?

By the way, is that mobster going to stay down? Rebecca proved some time can pass between death and undeath, so they may be treating him as an 'we'll get around to it' issue. I doubt he'll take the treatment well...

Josh: Okay -- purebreds. This brings up last season's question of two werewolves having children and the mother shifting when the fetus does. If that's what happened here, then we're looking at the results. Or are Conner and Ren members of whatever the original werewolf bloodline is -- the Family Zero for the curse vector? If Josh's brains kick in before it's too late, he'll have a few questions about genealogy.

(And for the record, that was in fact the most pitiful lab in the history of mad science.)

Putting aside the upcoming deadly issue of 'Humanity is a skin we're trying to shed' until it threatens to induce fatalities, Josh's central problem in any medical exams is that at the moment he most needs to study the rapidly emerging data, he's providing it. What's needed here is a medical professional they can trust to watch all four changing and isolate the common factors. Of course, we now know someone who fits the bill -- but she doesn't know what Josh is, and the next entry probably means she's about to have her own problems...

Sally: Her season's arc theme doesn't seem to be temptation as much as it is jealousy. Whatever you have, she wants. Especially if she can't have it -- and as a ghost, the things she can't have include pretty much everything. I think she's reached the point where she'll be running on pure green fuel: whatever you've got, I take for myself, and it's only right because I was cheated of my chance to have it the first time and for having given up my door, I am that much more entitled than you. It's easy to see her running wild with body jumps to the point where she tackles a roommate because hey, she's never been a vampire or werewolf before. (Assuming this is even possible.) We know Ms. Hospital Awkward Of 2012 can block a takeover, but if Sally becomes jealous enough there, that old standby poltergeist power is still on tap.

We've seen what happens when Sally loses it. We're starting to get hints at the nightmare of Aidan being out of control. All we need now is for Josh to officially form a pack and we'll be at the core of despair a few episodes early.

Hooray for It Gets Worse, the official trope of the show!

By the way, what are the odds that a decent security system tracked whose card opened that door?

"Renewed for Season #3."
Posted by Estee on 02-09-12 at 08:44 PM
Yay! It's increasingly unlikely that the current season will end with everyone dead!

...okay, Aidan and Sally were dead going in. You know what I meant.

"RE: Renewed for Season #3."
Posted by Starshine on 02-10-12 at 07:23 AM
?

Just watched ep 1 of Series 4 so there may be more to come than you think.

Just as an aside if you like Being Human then you might enjoy Misfits which is broadcast on Hulu in the US

Posted by Estee on 02-10-12 at 11:43 AM
The U.S. edition is slowly separating itself from the British storylines. (Part of this is the aversion of British Brevity: with thirteen episodes per season to work with, they need more plot points to work with.) By the time this version finishes its third season, it could wind up as a completely different species.

Most of the Misfits DVDs over here require a region-free player and Hulu is, frankly, a pain in the rear. I'm waiting for something I can actually work with.

Posted by Tummy on 03-05-12 at 05:42 PM
I am not liking Series 4. I don't like that they killed Nina off-season and George was gone in the first episode. I'll keeping watching because Annie has always been my fav, but I'm really not liking the storyline this year.

I applaud them for continuing on when they lost 3/4's of their main cast. I'd like Annie to travel to the States.

"Menage a murder."
Posted by Estee on 02-14-12 at 03:32 PM
What I don't want to see next week or at any point during the season: a retcon that places another werewolf at the massacre instead of Nora. Let that be her: she was there, she killed, and now everyone has to deal with the consequences. Not that it'll do much good in court... Wonder if the siblings have a lawyer on retainer. And if that party is in the know. Or in the family.

Meanwhile, we now know something about what happened at the hotel, if not just how much might have been setup as a test to fail. I don't like Henry's return -- the TVTrope you might want there would normally be censored here, but they did spend some time setting this up -- and don't think he'll add much of anything to the plot. Aidan's torment, yes. Plot, no.

As for Sally, it's safe to say the universe is sending her a message. Now if she could only figure out what that is...

(Note that the Reaper could have gotten her immediately after knocking her out of the body, when she was at her weakest with no real defense. We don't have evidence that it's completely hostile.)

"Uninvited."
Posted by Estee on 03-06-12 at 07:46 AM
Oh, ow...

"A new national holiday."
Posted by Estee on 04-03-12 at 09:01 AM
April 2nd was clearly Torture Everybody Day.

Sally, you've sent a dozen souls to an eternity of torture!

Josh, your once-and-future fiancee' was just killed in front of you because she was reacting to your change!

Aidan, you in fact do not know how to fix her! And of the trio, you got off the easiest!

Next week is going to be exceptionally ugly. And presumably depressing.

"Season #2 finale."
Posted by Estee on 04-10-12 at 05:49 AM
I think we broke the It Got Worse meter.

Three showdowns.

One total failure.

One about-to-be failure.

One you-can't-imagine-how-bad-this-is failure.

I'd applaud, but I'm sure there's something out there which feeds on it.

"RE: Season #2 finale."
Posted by CTgirl on 05-15-12 at 08:18 PM
As much as I like this show, it's not the kind of story where you can sit down and watch a marathon. I just finished two weeks of watching one show a day and it got increasingly uncomfortable to view as the season went on. Talk about your tortured souls!

Can It Get Worse Next Season?! I'll tune in to see.

"Let's find out."
Posted by Estee on 01-10-13 at 05:44 PM
I will be watching a marathon over the weekend, courtesy of my just-arrived Season #2 set -- getting my depression meter ready for Season #3, which premieres Monday. Although we're going to need a few pressings of the Escape Button in order to get anyone in it. Aidan buried, Josh in a gunfight, and Sally is presumed to be Lady Not Appearing In This Episode. I'm not sure who can be extricated from their mostly self-imposed nightmare first.

Better get a shovel.

"Minor spoilers."
Posted by Estee on 01-14-13 at 10:35 AM
* The third season picks up fifteen months after the last scene in the second. When we open, Aidan is still in the ground and Sally is still in Limbo.

* Conner and Brin's father will appear, looking to find out what happened to his kids.

* A mortician will become involved in Sally's story arc.

And that's all I've got. Security on this thing is tight.

"Premiere."
Posted by Estee on 01-15-13 at 11:46 AM
Okay. So we started with a vampire, werewolf, and wraith. Then we met a human whose soul (in her opinion) had fused with that of a ghost. And now we've got a mage. I swear, if Sally's quasi-revived corpse starts causing mental problems in every normal human who meets her while Boston slowly warps into an urban wasteland, I am out of here.
------------------------------------------
I accept the Vampire Virus as Aidan's big arc theme for the season, but -- killing off Mother and (as far as we know) most of the ruling council? That feels like too big a press of the Reset Button as far as enemies are concerned. What, there's so many new problems this year that the old one didn't have room to hang around?

Of course there are! But that never stopped anyone before!
-------------------------------------------
So much for trusting myths: killing your maker as a werewolf only affects the immediate link in the chain. I'll be very curious to see if Josh can still perceive ghosts at all: this might be more remission than cure. And regardless, I'm predicting he's back to status quo by the end of the season. The only question is who gets to do it to him. A quasi-revived Ray? Nora? Someone new? And is he stupid enough to arrange it himself out of desperation or love?
About this resurrection effect... well, that'll have to wait. I sense major catches ahead, though. And if Sally wants to get everyone out whom she banished as the Reaper -- lot of hearts required, isn't it? I'm guessing that storyline's about to go back burner.
Hallucinated Bishop is funniest Bishop.

"RE: Premiere."
Posted by batts on 01-21-13 at 00:49 AM
I'm watching. Don't think I'm going to like Sally draggin someone elses psycheee around.

My sentiments: Is there such a thing as too much storyline that just goes nowhere?

"RE: Premiere."
Posted by Estee on 01-21-13 at 09:49 AM
Every soap opera ever.

I'm willing to give them some leeway because they were trying to wrap up all the loose ends from last season while kicking in everything for this one all at once: it makes for a very crowded hour. This truck may need some time for all wheels to start spinning, let along getting into gear. Hopefully we're seeing something progress-like by Episode Three.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Posted by Estee on 01-22-13 at 10:51 AM
You see, this way, anyone who even remotely suspects you might have been resurrected won't last long enough to figure out such magic exists! The masquerade is self-maintaining!

"RE: It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Posted by batts on 02-05-13 at 03:43 AM
Tonights episode... I don't feel medicated unless I see some transformations... or biting or something...

Posted by batts on 03-14-13 at 02:16 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-13 AT 02:22 AM (EST)

The antidote for Aiden... Werewolf blood?
The cure for Sally's ghost disease... Eating live mice?

Is it me or did this show go WAY off track?
Oh, it's prolly me. How I expect a show with Vampires werewolfies, and ghosts to be more realistic, I don't know...

My favorite vampire was always played by Johnathon Frid (RIP),
Barnabas Collins.

Posted by CTgirl on 03-14-13 at 12:09 PM
I haven't watched any of this season yet - I am waiting for a week when most of my shows are on hiatus. But I agree with you on Barnabus Collins! <3