URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 9
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Gold Star is too ambiguous"

Posted by MizJazmine on 09-27-07 at 11:14 AM
I'm not liking how people are being picked for the gold star. Last night really rubbed me the wrong way because I don't think it's wrong to want the "gold star" and to work for it, and I think that's what the kid did who DIDN'T get it. I thought he worked hard for it and that's not a bad thing. I didn't care for what I felt was the "smugness" of the other kid, "I'm not doing things to just get a gold star". So what? That means what? That he's better? I don't think so. There's something going on with the kids on the council and they should be rotated or ousted 'cuz that gold star is just too much power for 1 group of people to have all the time.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Gold Star is too ambiguous"
Posted by jbug on 09-27-07 at 12:10 PM
I only saw bits and pieces last night, but.....

I think that is a lot to put on just 4 kids.
However, the one older boy who thought he should have gotten it - and copped an attitude when he didn't? In the first episode he was a jerk - grafiti all over town, picking on the littlier kids. It was only after he found there was a reward for good labor, etc. that he turned around.
So for that reason, I'm glad he didn't get it last night. Maybe next week - but he'll probably pull some stunt now that'll keep the council from ever giving it to him.

SurfKitten Siggie Shop 2007

Posted by Blambo on 09-27-07 at 12:39 PM
While I do think the entire premise of the 'gold star' is shaky, I actually sort of thought they made the "right" decision last night.
There is nothing necessarily wrong with someone working harder just because they realize there is something attached to it - hard work helps no matter what --- But if that is the case I kind of figure let the bully kid take 3 more days of "working hard" and THEN give him the star. The kid they gave it to has sort of been shown as a consistent leader/speaker, etc. I felt like the kids actually made pretty good judgement.
However the pouting and talk of "revenge" after not giving the star at the end made it a sort of annoying contrived thing. No way do these kids actually act like this. And i really want to like this show.

Posted by Molaholic on 09-27-07 at 01:05 PM
No way do these kids actually act like this. And i really want to like this show

Sorry, but this sounds a lot like the kids I deal with every day.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 09-27-07 at 07:30 PM
Blambo, welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately, I also deal with kids just like him every day.

Posted by mattben on 09-29-07 at 10:30 AM
Ditto

Posted by geg6 on 09-27-07 at 01:08 PM
I seem to be spending my time in this forum disagreeing with people. How shocking! LOL!

And in this case, I must disagree again. Michael, the young man who got it last night, was the right choice. He has been shown to be a hard worker and to have leadership abilities in both shows. He was doing it long before anyone knew about any sort of reward. He was right to say that he did what he did for the good of the whole regardless of the whole "gold star" thing.

Greg, however, only got motivated to get the star. Do you honestly think he'd have continued that behavior once he got it? And from the previews, it looks like he's quite the sore loser. Even though Michael gave him props and the council mentioned that a lot of people were deserving. They were awarding Michael on the basis of consistency of performance over time. I think that is exactly the way to make the decision. I'd be disappointed if they made it any other way.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 09-27-07 at 07:34 PM
I'm weighing in with Geg on this one.

Michael has been a rock since the beginning, and a continuous voice of reason. Add to this the fact that he keeps this attitude when he's on the GREEN team, who has ended up on the bottom of the caste system, and he's bloody amazing -- and deserving.

Some of the "adults" on Survivor could learn a lot from this boy.

Oh, and who's with me on hoping for a revolt against the beauty queen?

Posted by mysticwolf on 09-29-07 at 07:45 PM
Agree. Including the comment that, once Greg won it I'm not sure if he'd continue to work hard. This is a kid that needs a wake-up call. Three days of hard work + 3 days of behaving like a jerk do not equal 6 days of hard work and leadership. I do think that, if he can figure this out and get over his idea of being a "victim" (thereby permitting him, in his mind, to victimize others), he could easily win one later in the show.

I also agree that the "beauty queen" needs to be removed from any leadership role, whatsoever. Each town council they ask how they think the coucil is doing. I'm wondering if they don't hold elections at some point farther down the line - once all the kids have had a chance to get to know each other. If they do, I think she'll be replaced in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't it be poetic justice if she had to take the place (the team place) of whoever replaced her? 'cause I have a feeling Michael or Sophia (both green) would be the leading candidates for her position.

Agman made me a pack.

Posted by Memaw on 10-01-07 at 09:00 AM
>Some of the "adults" on Survivor
>could learn a lot from this boy.

I totally Agree!

Posted by michel on 09-27-07 at 01:11 PM
There are plenty to say against the way the Gold Star is handled on the show but the one thing that I thought was right was who won it. Like Sophia, Micheal has been a laborer since the start and a positive influence. We saw how the green team, led by those two, started doing more than their share of the work. Greg did work harder but his past actions had to be weighed in.

In week #1 the choice was between Sophia and Micheal while week #2 was between Micheal and Greg. I think the council got it right. There is something to be learned about perseverance and, if Greg never won a star, I hope he saw how close he was last night while watching.

Posted by skyhoneybear on 09-27-07 at 03:09 PM
Everyone aleady said this, but I wanted to "Bump" it a little bit. I said the same thing to my boyfriend last night. Let Greg work two weeks in a row, then give him the gold star.

Sky "watching kid nation instead of top model" honeybear

Created by PhoenixMons

Posted by rasslinmomma on 09-27-07 at 04:15 PM
I agree that Michael was a great choice for the star this week. He not only works hard, but also works to keep the peace, and has been shown openly supporting the other members of the "nation".

I'm more concerned the council will neglect the efforts of the younger kids. I'm sure many of the kids on the show are working just as hard as Sophia, Michael, and even Greg this week. It seems that the star has gone to folks that show the most leadership ability. I can't see the younger ones rising to that level simply due to their lack of experience --- how many modern 9 year olds do you know that can meal plan for 40, or slaughter livestock? They may work just as hard at their assigned tasks and help out others, but I suspect it will be overlooked.

Posted by Tahj on 09-27-07 at 05:02 PM
Yeah, I agree about so many being overlooked. The older kids will almost always overshadow the younger. The show's creators should have done something to make earning the award a little more fair, like multiple awards by age group or an award for a kid in each section or something like that.

Tribe rocked my sig!

Posted by MizJazmine on 09-27-07 at 09:45 PM
>I'm more concerned the council will
>neglect the efforts of the
>younger kids. I'm sure
>many of the kids on
>the show are working just
>as hard as Sophia, Michael,
>and even Greg this week.
> It seems that the
>star has gone to folks
>that show the most leadership
>ability. I can't see
>the younger ones rising to
>that level simply due to
>their lack of experience ---
>how many modern 9 year
>olds do you know that
>can meal plan for 40,
>or slaughter livestock? They
>may work just as hard
>at their assigned tasks and
>help out others, but I
>suspect it will be overlooked.
>
>
See this in part is what I'm feeling too. To me if they're only picking people who they think are like themselves then what does that mean for everybody else who is not, especially the younger kids.

Posted by Tahj on 09-27-07 at 05:04 PM
To me the difference between the two was attitude and maturity.

Michael has a good attitude and is quite mature. Gregg doesn't and isn't.

Tribe rocked my sig!

Posted by MizJazmine on 09-27-07 at 09:39 PM
Okay...I can see there's a consensus here about who got the gold star this week. I had "kinda" watched the first show, but I didn't know that the kid who didn't get it was the same person who had did the graffiti or that he had bullied other kids soooo I guess he does have some growing to do BUT I'm still not liking the way this thing is awarded. What does it mean for the little girl who didn't want the chickens killed, actually protested twice, and raised her hand that she doesn't like "this" council. Is she not even considered now because of her convictions and actions? What about the council member who threatened her and told her he would string her up the second time she was protesting? The council just has too much power to me and there doesn't seem to be a consistant real standard for giving the gold star. It just seems too subjective to me.

Posted by SherpaDave on 09-27-07 at 10:35 PM
Considering that last week they awarded the gold star to the only person who stood up to say she didn't approve of the way the council was working, I'd say they've been pretty level-headed about it. At least so far.

Posted by geg6 on 09-28-07 at 08:38 AM
Not only do I agree with what Sherps said, but I would think that one of the major learning experiences happening here is the decision-making process, as in how to make good decisions when the situation is subjective. I think it's good the producers didn't put too many rules for the gold star in place. Most of life's decisions are subjective. Those who are most successful in life make the best decisions in such situations. This is a part of education that, IMHO, is completely lacking in our whole NCLB educational environment and the helicopter parenting phenomenon. I'm happy to see kids getting the opportunity to risk and to fail, to struggle and to succeed.

We need kids to get more of these types of creative decision-making experiences, not make it ever more easy for them to not take responsibility.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

Posted by Memaw on 09-28-07 at 09:49 AM
It's all about learning what life is all about (making decisions) and it will teach them how life is sometimes just not fair!

All decisions have consequences. And that consequence can only be a "bad" one or a "good" one, depending on the choice a person makes. And then, no matter what the choice that is made, life continues to go on.

I admire the kid on the council who at such a very young age was able to see the potential conflict between "pride" and "being a "team member" within the town. Was the kid who wanted the star this past week really doing the things he was to make the town a better place for all, or was he doing them only to hopefully benefit "himself?"

I'm happy to see who did get the gold star this week. In my opinion, I was rooting for him the first time around. That kid's got a pretty good head on his shoulders too.

Posted by MizJazmine on 09-29-07 at 02:19 PM
>It's all about learning what life
>is all about (making decisions)
>and it will teach them
>how life is sometimes just
>not fair!
>
>All decisions have consequences. And
>that consequence can only be
>a "bad" one or a
>"good" one, depending on the
>choice a person makes. And
>then, no matter what the
>choice that is made, life
>continues to go on.
>
Oh I agree with you here and I do understand the lesson of intent & motives BUT I'm not really liking that particular kid on the council or that little beauty queen one who doesn't do dishes! So yes there is conflict for me in terms of WHO is giving the star vs. who is getting it. From what it sounds like the kids who are getting the star have more on the ball than maybe the ones giving it. Which I do think is gonna be one of the conflicts that arise...hopefully! lol

Posted by mattben on 09-29-07 at 10:36 AM
I'm with geg6 on this, and SunnyBunny.

Both Sophia and Michael have shown selflessness in their work and community efforts. The big bully was putting out his butchering skills for show. More bravado. If he keeps it up, maybe he can win again.

The Town Council is amusingly like most town councils: a mix of inept, incompetent, talented, and good hearted.

Who's to say, like IC in Survivor, one can't win the gold star every session? Become a 4 star general.

Posted by MizJazmine on 09-29-07 at 04:06 PM
>The Town Council is amusingly like
>most town councils: a mix
>of inept, incompetent, talented, and
>good hearted.
>

LOL! Now ain't that the truth! It's kinda funny that it hasn't dawned on them yet that as the givers of the gold star that they're not able to get it within the context of the "system" that they now have. It's gonna be interesting to see when they're on the other side of that gold star and if the gold star can actually be awarded more than once to the same person.

I'm kinda wondering if all the kids even understand the significance of the gold star. The kid who didn't get the gold star understood the significance of it and that was a big part of his motivation be it right or wrong. The problem was that he didn't have the good character & maturity to go along with that motivation. But I wonder how big of a part the gold star is gonna play in the evolution of this "nation" or will it even?

I guess I'm still having a problem with this ideal of "selflessness". I don't think a kid should have to be altruistic. I think that's a catch 22. I do think there can be win-win and that be okay. I guess I haven't really changed my position have I LOL! I guess I still don't feel that there's anything wrong with working for a reward. What he brought to the table benefitted the community. Why he brought it to the table would have benefitted himself. I don't see the wrong in that. The only conflict as pointed out up thread was his character.

If there had been no prior "negatives" (including character, integrity, & maturity) on the part of this other kid and his motivation was out of need for money for college as he stated, are people saying that his belief of "win-win" is wrong?

Posted by Estee on 09-29-07 at 04:08 PM
I'm with geg6 on this, and SunnyBunny.

And thus the world ends.

Posted by Memaw on 10-01-07 at 09:03 AM
>thus the world ends.....

But the sky's not falling on my end of the world, yet.
Maybe that's why I can't seem to find Chicken Little over here. He's on your end of the world...

Today's a new day, let us rejoice and be glad in it. There always seems to be something new on the horizon.

Can't wait to see the next episode!

"Eeek!"
Posted by foonermints on 10-01-07 at 02:29 PM
»We need kids to get more of these types of creative decision-making experiences«

I agree with Geg also. On this and other topics.

"It's a small world after all"
*cue lyrics and sound*

*evil smile*

Posted by PhoenixMons on 10-01-07 at 04:00 PM
I think either Michael or Greg would have been the *right* choice. I like Michael, but I like Greg, too. I don't see Greg as this big bully...I think he's getting that edit because of the conflict with the red council kid (yeah, the grafitti was stupid, but he is after all, 15). I don't think his efforts were just for the gold star, either. He did a lot in the first week in terms of work, too. But, Michael is probably the more obvious choice this week since he was so close to getting it last week, too. His parents should be very proud of him - he's got a great head on his shoulders and is a natural leader.

Speaking of leadership, I'd love to see some reshuffling of council folk cause for the most part, the current ones are annoying. The only council member I really like is the green chick (forget her name). She seems to be doing a great job with all aspects of leadership. Kudos to her! The red kid annoys the crap outta me. He is SO holier-than-thou and he was really the instigator in the incident with Greg - he got in Greg's face and then got all pisy when Greg returned the favor...puh-lease. When the kids were first setting out for whatever-the-damn-city's-name-is, he was just walking along side the others ordering them around. And then there's Taylor (yet another kid giving pageants a bad name). I think she's done a decent job for a kid of only 10, but she needs to get over herself for a minute. The blue kid hss been pretty invisible, so no real opinion of him yet.

I really like this show and think these kids are fantastic. I think adults could learn a lot from kids when it comes to coming together for the greater good. Seems these kids only took a few days to figure that out!

I'd have loved to be a part of something like this as a kid. I hope the show doesn't get canned early!

Posted by mattben on 10-02-07 at 10:45 PM
The dusty little town (street layout looks so much like Pleasantville) is Bonanza. Like we needed more Western clues. I'm still waiting for a branding iron or a burning map of the Ponderosa.

I'd like to see the town council get changed up, too. We don't know what happens if the town says "no" to the lone adult's question about whether they're happy with it. Maybe any given district can vote for a new TC member. (I think they're divided w/ a TC person for each district.)

As in all reality tv, edits rule.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 11-02-07 at 05:59 PM
Other than the first show, I haven't watched KN on a regular basis.
The girl who was "awarded" the first GS, I didn't think deserved it. So, the "awarders" thought she worked hard? I saw many others working just as hard. Even harder. Without her rotten attitude.

Posted by mattben on 11-02-07 at 07:22 PM
You could relive it by reading my summary.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 11-09-07 at 02:21 PM
Actually, it was episode "101" I referred to. It took a lot of digging, all the way to the offial website MB, to find the first gold star winner's name, Sophia.
The "town counsel" considered her a "hard worke"? If copping a "better-and-smarter-than-everyone-else" attitude and constantly complaining counts as "hard work", I guess that star was hers, hands down.
And, Sophia's phone call home, to a waiting mother in a kitchen already filled with a full camera crew, made the award process look contrived. And, rigged.

Posted by dabo on 11-13-07 at 11:48 AM
I don't believe those scenes with the kids on the antique "working" phone and the family at home on the phone are filmed at the same time.

Cute as this show is, an awful lot of it seems staged to me.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 11-13-07 at 04:46 PM
They appear to be filmed simultaneously.

Posted by tidefan1987 on 11-14-07 at 11:42 AM
>They appear to be filmed simultaneously.
>

I think the town counsel has it narrowed down to 2 at least a day ahead of the town meeting and they send camara crews to both houses and when they announce the winner the go into the house of the winner to film that call being made. It would be very simple to do.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 11-19-07 at 03:42 PM
That's what I figured.

Posted by Agman2 on 01-15-16 at 05:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-15-16 AT 05:39 PM (EST)

I'm still waiting on my gold star. It's been a little over 8 years now!