URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 8277
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Jiffy CLUES to end game..."

Posted by Flowerpower1 on 11-14-14 at 08:45 AM
This year Jiffy has made many comments about the game and throughout the game. I thought I would collect them all here so we could put them altogether and possibly come up with some kind of hypothesis....

Episode 1:
*One of the things that I most love about Survivor is that a group of people come together to create their own society and they dictate the rules.
*Sometimes on Survivor, being unlikable can be an asset for getting deeper in the game because people don’t think you will ever win. AKA Goat strategy
*Survivor by necessity requires you to look for any reason to vote someone out. Especially early.
*I am reminded how incredibly difficult it is to get to the end. You have to survive so many different obstacles including not being voted out!

Pre game assessments:
Val/Jeremy: He really liked Val...very competitive with each other
Drew and Alec: Squirrel, one older/younger...can rub people the wrong way...
Jon/Jaclyn: Barbie and Ken: doesn’t think they will play as a couple
Wes/Keith: share passion for firefighting...both good guys, relatable, loves their accents
Missy/Baylor: As much as a friend as a mom...same person, she’s younger than me...Baylor has more life experience, Missy could make some alliances, self deprecating sense of humor...
Twins: on AR, grew up on Sri Lanka, relaxed attitude
John/Julie: enough said already
Josh and Reed: 2 of his favorites, love as out as a gay couple, Josh will assimilate quickly, so likeable...Reed is excitable
Dale/Kelly: Dale divorced and remarried-conflict...

From People Magazine: http://www.people.com/article/new-survivor-season-jeff-probst-san-juan-del-sur

I don't know. Last season's cast was stellar – and many of them were average people.
Point taken. It was a great cast. People like Spencer surprised me and really delivered a good season, and several of them will probably play again. But there are great people in this cast, too. Josh and Jeremy are really sharp players and will be the kingpins of strategy.

TV guide article:

*People came in out of the gate saying, let's let loved ones dominate this game and try to get as deep as we can with as many pairs. So right from the beginning there was a new strategy. 
*And, according to Probst, it's one of the most unpredictable seasons in Survivor history.
*I think it's going to feel refreshing and different 
*Tribes have issues that they have to deal with me about, and they're losing things and wanting to trade for things and running out of things. It was just a constant, daily, 'What? What happened now?"
*About Josh and Reed, JP says: They know what they're doing in the game and I think people are going to enjoy them and — at least out of the gate — root for them." 
*About Keith:  "He didn't know the game at all ... so watching him learn how to play Survivor is fantastic/" 

http://www.tvguide.com/news/jeff-probst-survivor-san-juan-sur-blood-water-john-rocker-1087474.aspx

*This is a very unorthodox season," Probst says. "Some seasons just roll along and you can almost predict it. This season, I couldn't have predicted the way it was going to go. I would have never predicted who was going to win or be in at the end. And I hope that's the same journey that the audience has. Just so many weird things happen. Tribes have issues that they have to deal with me about, and they're losing things and wanting to trade for things and running out of things. It was just a constant, daily, 'What? What happened now?' I think there are a lot of things we haven't seen in a while, and I think the audience is going to enjoy it. I think it's going to feel refreshing and different."
*Dale/Kelly: You have a father/daughter and the father loves the daughter, but the daughter looks at the dad as a liability."
*Jeremy and val: Look for this married couple (he's a firefighter, she's a police officer) to clash early on about their collective Survivor strategy. "Jeremy, it was clear from the beginning, was worried about his wife and wanted to take care of her, and Val couldn't say fast enough, 'Don't worry about me because I'm not going to be worried about you. I'm a cop. I do just fine,'" Probst recalls. "So, that was an interesting relationship. Also their approach to the game — Val considers herself to be a very good reader of people and manipulator of people because she's a cop, and Jeremy comes at it more from a brotherhood."
*Drew/Reed: "the prototype for sibling rivalry," according to Probst. "Drew is the older, cocky , beating his brother up at every occasion. And Alec is looking for an opportunity to shine."

*Josh/Reed: A gay Christian couple from New York (Rocker will love them!), both Josh and Reed are Survivor superfans. "They're very active in their church, but they live a lifestyle that some people in their church don't support," Probst says. "I was really impressed and proud that they wanted to come on our show, endure this adventure, and be honest about who they are in the hopes that it'll help wake people up. ... They know what they're doing in the game and I think people are going to enjoy them and — at least out of the gate — root for them."

*Jon and Jaclyn: The season's eye candy couple, Jon is a Michigan State football player and Jaclyn was named Miss Michigan in 2013. But their time on Survivor won't exactly be a fairytale, Probst cautions. "They're young and loving," Probst describes. "But what's interesting is watching their relationship play out. They're a couple and they love each other, but this game is hard. And, give people enough time together on Survivor, they will argue, no matter how much you love each other. There's an honesty to watching their relationship that I don't recall us ever doing before."

*Missy/Baylor: Missy and Baylor: Missy's 20-year-old daughter Baylor has "done a lot of self-parenting," Probst says. "There's a real clear connection between the two, but it doesn't necessarily appear that it's mother/daughter." But they're definitely a duo to watch. "I think the hardest in Blood vs. Water is for the parent that's playing with a child," Probst says. "And when you're a mom I think it's the hardest of all. I think being a mom with your daughter would be the most difficult position to be in because you birthed her. There is no tighter connection in the world. ... If the only way you can move forward is by getting rid of your child, can you do it? Or do you just fall down on the sword and say, I just can't do it?"

*Keith and Wes: "Keith is one of my favorite new players," Probst says of this father/son team of firefighters from Louisiana. "He didn't know the game at all ... so watching him learn how to play Survivor is fantastic, because he has a way of speaking that you just don't often see on television."

*Natalie and Nadiya: Probst says he was unfamiliar with the Amazing Race "Twinnies" going into the season. "Now that it's over, I'm glad I didn't have any preconceived ideas," he says in retrospect. "I didn't know they were controversial. ... I just thought they were kind of lippy twins who were very colorful and had funny things to say." Not that the sisters tried to hide their prior reality competition experience. "They said in the very first episode, 'What we learned fromAmazing Race is not to judge a book by its cover, because you're going to be wrong a lot. So we're not judging anybody here yet. We're going to wait and see what happens," Probst says. "And then the season starts and oh my God, the game was on."

Entertainment Weekly, JP on Weird Tribal Council Voting...
*Instability usually equals tribe turmoil, which often results in awesome episodes of Survivor! What you’re seeing with Hunahpu happens a lot on Survivor — a tribe dominates in challenges but because they never get to go to tribal they have no idea where the tribe vibe really stands — and when it finally comes, it causes chaos.

*On Jeremy post trade for rice: I think Jeremy was just frustrated in general. He ended up on a tribe of people, some of whom didn’t regard the game in the same way he did. Jeremy is very disciplined. He could have made do on much less and if he had been in charge of that rice from day one they probably wouldn’t be in that situation. But no, I do not see any way they could have survived without making a trade. Zero.

*On Natalie: I’d be watching Natalie like a hawk. She is an experienced competition reality show contestant. Nothing in Survivor is selfless. Ever. Whether it’s because you want to search for an idol or buy some good will or break up an alliance or keep an alliance together or any of the other myriad possibilities — every move in Survivor is game play. The good players (of which Natalie is starting to make a case) endeavor to make every move a win-win.

On Jeremy and Josh: I think you’re right – at this point they are very big threats to win and they are both very savvy and passionate players. But I don’t think they are the only players. I think they will still have to earn their way to the end by getting past some formidable opponents.

*On who do you think was saved because of Julie’s quit: Jeremy. I think it was gonna happen and I think he would have been shocked. So Jeremy was saved, but now his new problem is he lost a very important number.

*On post merge strategic shuffling:
Julie’s quit really throws a wrench into things. There are so many levels of game play — it is imperative that you see everything. If your vision becomes too focused you’re done. The best players will prove themselves through their ability to play this game not based on history, but on what is in front of them in any given moment.

Post Josh boot:

*With Exile, I loved what we got early with the cross pollination of relationships and I love where it’s going to head now that we’re in the individual part of the game. It will definitely have an impact on how the season plays out.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Impressions....so far"
Posted by Flowerpower1 on 11-14-14 at 11:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-14 AT 11:35 AM (EST)

Episode 1: Here is what he said, and here is how it panned out...
*One of the things that I most love about Survivor is that a group of people come together to create their own society and they dictate the rules.
*Sometimes on Survivor, being unlikable can be an asset for getting deeper in the game because people don’t think you will ever win. AKA Goat strategy Jiffy tells us this so can we assume that one of the final players will be a goat? Possible goats: Baylor, Keith? At least in the eyes of the players...
*Survivor by necessity requires you to look for any reason to vote someone out. Especially early. This came to pass this season....especially with the first boot, when Dale threw the target on Nadiya.
*I am reminded how incredibly difficult it is to get to the end. You have to survive so many different obstacles including not being voted out! This makes me think that the top contenders will get voted out somehow...aka Jeremy and Josh. Josh has already been removed...

Drew and Alec: Squirrel, one older/younger...can rub people the wrong way...they both rub people the wrong way so both will fall way short....Drew is already out, Alec is almost done.

Jon/Jaclyn: Barbie and Ken: doesn’t think they will play as a couple...This is interesting, but as a pre game assessment it's hard to use this. This past week I really didn't see them argue like we have been led to believe that they will, so I have to assume that more arguing will be coming...

Missy/Baylor: As much as a friend as a mom...same person, she’s younger than me...Baylor has more life experience, Missy could make some alliances, self deprecating sense of humor...insightful...came in as "friends" but now Missy gets to be the mom. Insight into Missy's personality that we may not see...

Josh and Reed: 2 of his favorites, love as out as a gay couple, Josh will assimilate quickly, so likeable...Reed is excitable This also panned out, so I have to wonder how "pre-game" these assessments were? Josh did assimilate early, and from post game interviews it seemed that Reed caused all sorts of drama...

All of the following clips together...

Josh and Jeremy are really sharp players and will be the kingpins of strategy.
*at this point they are very big threats to win and they are both very savvy and passionate players. But I don’t think they are the only players. I think they will still have to earn their way to the end by getting past some formidable opponents.

Couple the above with these clips:
*This is a very unorthodox season
*Some seasons just roll along and you can almost predict it. This season, I couldn't have predicted the way it was going to go. I would have never predicted who was going to win or be in at the end.
*There are so many levels of game play — it is imperative that you see everything. If your vision becomes too focused you’re done. The best players will prove themselves through their ability to play this game not based on history, but on what is in front of them in any given moment.

All of this together makes me think that the leaders will not win this game. Clearly the 2 leaders, players of the game could be considered Jeremy and Josh. We know that Josh is already out.

The last part hits home that you need to roll with the drama that is in front of you, you have to adapt to the changes the game brings at any given moment. So the players that show they are adaptable, are the ones that will most likely win.

So far the only people that have shown they will go against the grain are Jon and Jaclyn. They were willing to cut Jeremy and Missy loose. Then, the next week, they were shown to continue to adapt to the changing situation and make a different choice.

Someone else that is adapting well to the changes of the game I think is Natalie. She is anticipating the events and making moves to solidify her position, she's giving her self multiple options to an end.

If Reed can cause enough havoc and play some of these players, then his arc could really start to take off. It will really be interesting to see his story unfold without Josh at this point.

"RE: Impressions....so far"
Posted by suzzee on 11-14-14 at 11:45 AM
A Reed arc? That's intriguing! Production has borrowed Chenbot's "Expect the unexpected" for this season then.

This should be an interesting thresd...

I should be watched....closely.

"RE: Jiffy CLUES to end game..."
Posted by suzzee on 11-14-14 at 11:37 AM
Awesome idea to put these early assessments in one place. I hope everyone will throw in their two cents here.

Drew and Alec: Squirrel, one older/younger...can rub people the wrong way...

When Jiffy says "can" I guess we should try to define what would rub people the wrong way. Arrogance comes to mind first and here we have it even with Alec portrayed early as the younger more thoughtful one. But Alec is still quality goat material and someone will want to use his vote so he may stay. I wonder though, if this non-fan survivors will use the goat strategy. Jeremy being the only strategist left after Josh's walk this week.

Jon/Jaclyn: Barbie and Ken: doesn’t think they will play as a couple

What would have made him think that? What made him coin the "Barbie & Ken" nickname to them. Their looks probably but the Barbie & Ken dolls, in their world are an inseparable couple. Or did he do that to dismiss them or was that just misdirection on his part because as things have worked out for mid-game they are a highly sought after pair.

Wes/Keith: share passion for firefighting...both good guys, relatable, loves their accents

Translation: They'll be around but neither have much game beyond supporting players.

John/Julie: enough said already

Translation: Not long for the game, D list celebrity value but a not serious game players.

It's interesting to try to translate Jiffy-speak into longevity for the players. Reed being "excitable" was something we are just now getting a look at. Since it wasn't seen early on he turned out to have some longevity. Now that we're seeing his nature can he be long for the game? Probably not.

The twinnies "relaxed attitude" could read as experience counts but it was Nadia's non-relaxed attitude that got her out. The conflicted relationship between Kelly & Dale was old news in their lives, I think now that Dale is a realist without much of a filter and that was Kelly's reservation with having him as her loved one.

Josh and Jeremy are really sharp players and will be the kingpins of strategy.

Yes they are/were, so we're to assume that there won't be someone else stepping into Josh's strategic shoes and Jeremy will be the kingpin? I don't think this automatically makes him the winner but I was hoping to see a lot of back and forth moves between the two of them.

I should be watched....closely.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-14-14 at 12:00 PM
I'm sure even the people in Jeremy's alliance are aware of Jeremy's threat-ness, and will want to get him out before much longer. I don't see how he will get to F3 without an immunity run.

Posted by chemig902 on 11-14-14 at 05:15 PM
Hi all it's been a few seasons since I've been able to post here. Someone posted during the original BvW about seeing Tyson's name listed every week on the Guide function description of weekly episodes. I checked, and it was there every week. Last season I looked and it was Tony Vlachos every week. Since the player named this season is still in the game, it's looking good for a three-in-a-row indicator. Looking at these clues, it reinforces that this person may, indeed, be the winner. If so, it will makes this one of the most interesting and unorthodox seasons ever.

Posted by tribephyl on 11-14-14 at 07:05 PM
Welcome aboard, chemig and I hate to do this to ya' but...
The guide posts name in alphabetical order, until that person is booted. Tyson Apostol was first all the way through.
However, Spencer Bledsoe was the name that came up first for the majority of last season. And as far as I can tell Natalie is the first one for this season.
I am interested in where you are getting this info, perhaps your guide is different. And what name it is telling you.

Posted by chemig902 on 11-14-14 at 07:59 PM
The Guide on my cable service lists Cast: Jeff Probst, Contestant Name. It is one contestant each season and they have been Tyson Apostale, Tony Vlachos (definitely not first alphabetically) and one name from the current season. It is not Natalie. I am usually not able to watch Survivor on live TV, so I see the listing every time I go to my DVR. It is the same name every week, and there is never a list--always Jeff and a single name. BTW, I have been busy the past few Friday nights and had to record TAR. The cast list for that show is Phil Koeghan and a single contestant name. In that case, it is one half of my favorite pair, so I am hoping it is indeed CBS getting careless with information. As far as Survivor, the person listed would not be anywhere on my list of possible winners.

Posted by tribephyl on 11-14-14 at 11:28 PM
First, Why are you being so secretive about the name?
Second, Any hint at your cable provider? I used to have Cox but often checked with zap2it and TVGuideonline, I now have Comcast with Xfinity. TVGuide online often has a condensed list of the cast included (alphabetically by last name) with the usual pre-show mis-direction but have yet to see Comcast/Xfinity do so.

In your case, I would be very surprised if it ended up working out again. I seriously doubt anyone at CBS would be getting lazy and feeding the winners name as the "only" cast member.

Posted by chemig902 on 11-15-14 at 07:09 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-14 AT 07:11 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-15-14 AT 07:10 AM (EST)

I have Verizon FIOS. A year ago I thought Tyson was listed because he was the first alphabetically. And, coincidentally, he won. Last season, I thought it was because Tony was over the top and had the most face time. In this case, unless there is something big coming, there is no logical reason I can think of for this listing.

The player listed is Alec Christy.

And given the current Jiffy clues, there are a few scenarios where I could see this happening. And, Alec is definitely a difficult character to find a winning edit for.

"Alec Christy..."
Posted by Flowerpower1 on 11-15-14 at 11:32 AM
Wow, chemig! Nice to have you back here! If Alec Christy turns out to be the winner this season, your discovery will be epic! I really would say his edit makes him a very long shot! But, fun to speculate about! Thanks for posting...

Posted by tribephyl on 11-15-14 at 07:57 PM
Thanks for the answers. We all come here to share information and it's kinda hard to wrap my brain around a bunch of hints.

I went looking and it is obvious the version of verizon's listings is different per region, that and when checking other listings very few of them listed a cast at all, while 2 had Jeff Probst and one of those had a cast list of 4 with Natalie leading, Alec next, Jeremy then Reed.
Another one that listed 3 cast members but started with Alec, then Jeremy and Reed.

But again, I doubt that the guide is going to be using a source and even if they did that they would post the winner's name every week until the end.
I just don't see a chance in heck that Alec would end up winning this game. I shudder at the thought of the final 3 if Alec is the winner. Who could he possibly win against?
However, if Alec does win, I will eat Francesca's rock. And you all heard me say it.

Posted by Outsider32 on 11-16-14 at 04:15 AM
Did the guide post list Cochran every week for Caramoan?

Posted by chemig902 on 11-16-14 at 10:06 AM
>Did the guide post list Cochran
>every week for Caramoan?

I have no idea. I only looked during BvW when someone posted about Tyson's name and, it may have been jokingly, questioning whether CBS was spoiling the winner.

Posted by chemig902 on 11-16-14 at 10:21 AM

>I just don't see a chance
>in heck that Alec would
>end up winning this game.
>I shudder at the thought
>of the final 3 if
>Alec is the winner. Who
>could he possibly win against?

Well....if it's an F3, he COULD win against an intact couple. Reed and Josh won't vote for Jon, Jaclyn, Missy or Baylor for going against the couples alliance. Wes and Keith would probably do the same. That's 4 votes. If they are not allowed to discuss votes at Ponderosa, votes could be split remaining votes between the couple. In an F3 with Keith and Was (a LOOOOONG shot F3) "the worst thing in Survivor history" might come back to haunt Keith.

Also, go back and look at the footage of the chauvinistic "boys" while Jon was on EI. Many people hear looked at the behavior and saw various ways Alec could be the boot. Only Jaclyn came out and said (to Jon) "I don't like the boys anymore." Baylor gets irritated by Alec's behavior, but still frames their relationship as "Big Brother/Little Sister." And not one single player even mentioned Alec as a possible boot. Also, he was the lone single in the "couples alliance"and he never looked concerned when his alliance kept bringing up "eliminating the singles one by one." There may be some social dynamics that CNS is not showing us.

On a personal note, I think this is interesting after 2 seasons where the winner's name was listed. But, I would be dreading an Alec win and am secretly hoping that it was just a randomly chosen name from the cast. As I said in the original post, the TAR listing also only includes a single name (but it is from one of the pairs that has been spoiled as F3).

"Jon's stock rises..."
Posted by Flowerpower1 on 11-19-14 at 10:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-14 AT 10:31 PM (EST)

wrong thread...sorry...

"RE: Jon's stock rises..."
Posted by Outsider32 on 11-19-14 at 11:26 PM
Jon and Jac just pulled a Dawn I don't see how they win. But who knows, Missy's looking more and more it.