URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 800
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I got to see Doug Wilson this weekend"

Posted by weltek on 03-08-04 at 10:06 AM
I don't care what Bebo says-I.HEART.DOUG! The attitude and graying hair just do it for me, what can I say.

He was at the Madison Home Show & did a fun Q&A session. Did you know he's dating (possibly engaged) to that girl from the presidential room episode (where he flirted lots)? She now works for him, also and was there. Wonder what that age difference is.

He sang, he made some good jokes and was very candid about a lot of things.

He and Hilde are best of friends. He defended her wacky ideas.

His new apartment is very modeled after the "Don't Box Me In" design he'd done in a bedroom on TS. It was his favorite room he'd done on TS.

The room he was least happy with: The foot room, although that episode was a lot of fun.

He wishes people wouldn't waste TS time if they already know what they want done in their room. Pay a designer. And he dislikes it when neighbors only voice what the owners want. The idea of the show is for the neighbors to do what THEY want to the room.

Vern is no longer with the show. *sniffle*

Ty is his favorite carpenter because he "gets" what the show is about-part room makeover, part acting it up for tv.

Doug has no interest in leaving TS-it's his "home"

He thinks the spinoffs (family, boys v. girls) are diluting the original show.

There are about staff people at each episode from the producers to desiners, to assistants, to homeowners.

TS cast Doug as "the opposite" of Frank - so he plays up the part.

And ceiling fans? Laurie's new house has ones in almost every room. The irony.

He made reference to the fact that producers want people who are great in front of the camera-talkative & such. So if you are sending in a TS tape-make note of that.

Hm, can't think of other specifics right now.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I got to see Doug Wilson this weekend"
Posted by mtopaz on 03-08-04 at 02:51 PM
Thanks Weltek - lots of interesting tidbits! Now I need to look up the episode with the presidential room. I can't recall it right now, but I think I've seen nearly every episode.

Posted by weltek on 03-08-04 at 03:51 PM
Twas a little living room with ugly yellow-gold/navy/white vertical striped curtains. Very White House-esque. The girl is a cutie.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 03-08-04 at 04:02 PM
Good for him - they were doing some major flirting.

Posted by smiley on 03-09-04 at 07:56 AM
OMH I remember that show! I was wondering if they really connected or it was just an act for the show. Guess I know now LOL

He is kinda cute

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

Posted by ginger on 03-12-04 at 04:39 PM
I remember that too. Don't you like it when you're right?

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by Swami on 03-08-04 at 06:25 PM
I agree the spinoffs are diluting TS. Every now and then I turn on something called Trading Spaces and it's full of (not) cute kids & other stuff I was not expecting.

Trying to remember the Boxed In Room...

"Pictures: Boxed in & the girlfriend"
Posted by weltek on 03-09-04 at 10:20 AM
The room had green earth tone squares painted allover the wall. It was a very nice bedroom with nice furniture. I remember the team in the room argued with Doug about the bed placement. Oooh, lookie, I found a pic: http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/episode/season3/episode_06.html

And if you are wondering about the girlfriend, I found a pic!
http://www.davemackey.com/trading/season4/01/min-11th.htm

"RE: Pictures: Boxed in & the girlfriend"
Posted by Swami on 03-09-04 at 11:09 AM
Thanks for the links, Weltek. I remember the show where he met Erin very well because it was right here in Minneapolis! The local paper ran a fairly lengthy story on it, and mentioned all the flirting, but they never did a follow-up (that I noticed anyway) to say these two were still dating!

I think Doug is great, but I still wouldn't let him do my house, LOL. I wonder... now that he has somebody "special" in his life maybe he won't get into those brown geometric moods where he really trashes peoples' space!

Posted by RealityRyan on 03-08-04 at 06:52 PM
Doug has a... a girlfriend? Woah, gaydar was WAY off on that one... who knew that a flaming-esque interior decorator with a lisp and great fashion sense actually had a girlfriend...

Kathy must win !!! Down with THE RUPERT!
I heart America's Next Top Model

Posted by AugustGirl on 03-08-04 at 07:04 PM
Great info Weltek. Thanks for the scoop. I'll miss Vern. And Doug is dating that girl? I guess the kiss they shared on screen was more than just a gag for the camera! I hope they are very happy.

a JSlice original. isn't she something?

Posted by weltek on 03-09-04 at 10:11 AM
The actual question someone asked was if all the flirting was for real or if it was just for ratings. He answered by introducing her (Erin, I think, is her name?) and the two of them bantered a bit about it all. It was cute.

Posted by true on 03-10-04 at 04:22 PM
Lucky Duck!

Glad you got to see him, Weltek. I *heart* Doug, and other than a very few klunkers, I love his designs too! I agree with him about the HO's who take it too seriously. Puhleeeze.

I feared Vern would move on. *sniff*

Posted by kelli_blue on 03-16-04 at 07:56 PM
Thanks SO much for the Doug update! I just LOVE him on TS and think he's cocky, arrogant, funny and hot!! I'm SO jealous he's taken...although so am I. Oh well!!