URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 8
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Kid Nation Episode #2 East Coast Update Thread."

Posted by Estee on 09-26-07 at 04:21 PM
No chickens were killed in the making of these commercials.

...wait...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Kid Nation Episode #2 East Coast Update Thread."
Posted by Estee on 09-26-07 at 07:57 PM
So I'm guessing we're all recording this and watching ABC...

Posted by Snidget on 09-26-07 at 08:40 PM
It is like a ghost town in here, I thought someone would be posting during the show...
show...
show...

Posted by Snidget on 09-26-07 at 09:20 PM
I know she is just a kid, but I'm really starting to despise pageant girl.

Posted by StarryLuna on 09-26-07 at 09:27 PM
Ditto. I really wanted her team to lose tonight and/or see her get overthrown and kicked off the council.

Notice that even though green keeps losing, their members are the ones winning the stars?

Siggy by tribe

Posted by Snidget on 09-26-07 at 09:39 PM
They are the ones working the hardest and doing what it takes to keep the town running.

Posted by mistyrose52 on 09-26-07 at 10:29 PM
I came here so I wouldn't have to watch the ending! LOL. I mean, the show is THAT bad tonight! Was hoping someone here posted what happened so I could spare myself 15 more minutes of torture.

Talk about cheezy! 'How can I not smile when I have all these wonderful people here with me??', says little Red Riding Hood. Give me a break! Who really talks like that? Tell me that these counsellors were NOT prompted before they were put on this show!

As far as killing the chickens-hubby and I did our fair share when we were raising them, but to sit and watch it going on on TV, I have to say: YUCK! Especially with small children around, and hearing them say how sick it made them. THAT made me very sad. Even Survivor doesn't seem to go into quite as much detail as this show did tonight, IMHO. I personally felt some exploitation going on-in any case, it didn't feel right to me.

I hope this show finishes up earlier than expected and becomes history (in a non-existant way) really soon. Even though I HAVE heard many jr. highers stating that they LOVE it-who knows?

At this point-since I TiVo DWTS dance off show, this would be a nice evening to grab a good book. Not much else to do.....Can't say much for anything else on during that time slot!

Posted by geg6 on 09-27-07 at 08:52 AM
I couldn't disagree with you more!

I'm loving this show. What a bunch of smart, self-confident kids! While you're right that a lot of these kids seem suspiciously very well spoken and level-headed, I'm pretty sure that's the kind of kid you'd look for if you were producing this show. It's not an easy thing to do this as an adult (witness Survivor), let alone kids. I think they've done pretty damn well considering the types of possible behavior you could see. They usually make good, collective decisions.

The Beauty Queen is irritating beyond belief. But she's not stupid and, despite her completely inflated image of herself, has some leadership qualities that haven't been completely subsumed to her gigantic ego. She needs taken down a peg or two, for sure.

I've worked with young adult college students for 20 years and I just wish that they all had the self-sufficiency and confidence these kids do. I think they are fine and entertaining kids. And that's saying quite a bit since I'm not known as a big fan of kids.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

Posted by syren on 09-27-07 at 10:54 AM
I completely agree. I love this show, and while the chicken thing was a bit on the ewww factor it is nothing my parents did not do at the same age. And while it made them sick doing it, they sure weren't sick while they were eating it.

Jared is by far my favorite. The pageant girl better get it together because lacking the willingness to do your part will only get you so far.

If the other teams were smart they would take that you can just starve comment and apply it right back, stop doing their work, do yours and make enough food for the people who are actually doing it. Stop paying them, as they are not working, and stop cleaning the dishes that they have used. Eventually they should get hungry and want a clean dish to eat off of.

Posted by CTgirl on 09-27-07 at 11:57 AM
I agree with you both. At the end of the hour, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This episode was better than the first.

I enjoyed the chicken killing in an ew, perverse kind of way. I'd never seen it done before. I did think, I'm glad Jimmy isn't seeing this!

We saw Jared just enough this week for entertainment value: "to kill or not to kill" and the cluck, cluck jokes were funny.

Taylor's prima donna moments bugged me no end. Is it wrong to root against a 10-year-old?! The tension with her, the yellow team and the community and the green-team's losing streak has set up some good stories. I loved the stuffed animal day care bit. You forget how many kids that age still sleep with a stuffed animals and these little girls found a way (I think) to cope with being away from home. Very cute!

surfkitty sig shop 2007

Posted by michel on 09-27-07 at 12:58 PM
Jared is the main reason I didn't turn off the TV. The kid's a blast!!

Sophia and Micheal have strong but positive personalities. Good for them.

Poor Kimmi, I mean Emily, more chicken slaughter.

What were the names of those girls with the stuffed animal daycare? It was a cute scene.

I don't want to bash a 10 year old so I listen to Taylor and imagine she'll be the winner of "Survivor #36" by using Jenna Morasca's "strategy"!

Besides Mike, who does sound "rehearsed", the other 2 council members had a very quiet episode. That's two in a row for the other guy on the council. When do we get to see his story?

Greg, at 15, is just old enough that I can say the bully couldn't pretend to be helpful very long. I hope he saw how close he was to the gold star and that it teaches him that persevering one more "week" could've done it.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 09-27-07 at 07:40 PM
"Poor Kimmi, I mean Emily, more chicken slaughter."

Weren't you amazed that she would actually attend the slaughter? I was rooting for her too, until she decided to hide in the chicken coup to get out of doing another job.

"What were the names of those girls with the stuffed animal daycare? It was a cute scene."

I don't know their names, but it was a very clever way to get out of real work. LOL

I do have a bone to pick with whoever wrote the "previously on" segment though -- Sophia did NOT beg for money. She took the initiative, and sold her self as "entertainment" to get that bike.

Posted by SherpaDave on 09-27-07 at 01:30 PM
I'm curious about this. Does anyone know what it takes for a change in the council to occur? I can't remember the name of the boy on the yellow team who's so angry about the way Taylor is handling things, but he'd seem to be an excellent choice to replace her (assuming a replacement would have to come from the same team).

Posted by byoffer on 09-27-07 at 03:54 PM
Good question Dave.

Does the Council get to impose "laws"? If the yellow team is not doing their job, can they get fired/demoted? Can their pay be withheld?

The Council was set by the producers, and not by any election. While I don't think an election would have necessarily yielded the best council (since it takes time to get to know people and the producers wanted a council from the start) it may be time to have an election to change this. Do you think that is why the host keeps asking at the town meeting if the kids are happy? Is he prodding for an election?

Personally, I think something like an election will need to happen. Otherwise the show will stagnate. It's not like there is an end-game to the whole thing.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 09-27-07 at 07:42 PM
I wish I still had last weeks tape, because I think the not-Jeffy host did say something cryptic to the council about things being liable to change.

Posted by syren on 09-27-07 at 08:16 PM
Yep, he did. I do not have the exact quote, but he did refer that it could change, and to not get to comfortable.

Posted by foonermints on 09-28-07 at 00:42 AM
»It's not like there is an end-game to the whole thing«

Yarrr! Then who be the KidNation Master?

Gold Stars! I must have 'e more Gold Stars!

Posted by KeithFan on 09-27-07 at 09:55 AM
Me? I'm just quietly waiting for someone to pull out the conch. Then the real fun can begin.

Posted by batts on 09-27-07 at 06:48 PM
Ewww. I'm surprised those kids didn't get physically ill. The first (and only) time I tried to 'clean' a pheasant, when I was 11 years old, I ran out of the garage, into the yard, wretching and gagging, with my brother and dad laughing at me.
I guess it's just me, and my weak stomach.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Greg kid looks like the bully (Scott Vargas) on 'A Christmas Story'?

Posted by mattben on 09-29-07 at 10:40 AM
I'm still redrafting my unofficial summary. Have to update it to ep. 3, now, I guess.

Give me some motivation, like a gold star.

"Here You Go"
Posted by foonermints on 09-29-07 at 01:21 PM

foonermints always showing enthusiasmus.