URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7999
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"S26 Returning Favorites"

Posted by dabo on 12-19-12 at 00:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-12 AT 02:41 AM (EST)

This is a thread to discuss the returning faves * with no source spoilers please * as revealed in this newswire piece:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/survivor-caramoan----fans-vs-favorites-formally-announced-by-cbs-14198.php

I really don't know whose faves these are, only Jiffy would call all of them faves.

If you opened this thread I expect you wanted to know.

So

Here

Goes

Nuffin

---------

Andrea Boehlke (Redemption Island)

John Cochran (South Pacific)

Malcolm Freberg (Philippines)

Brandon Hantz (South Pacific)

Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island)

Corinne Kaplan (Gabon)

Brenda Lowe (Nicaragua)

Dawn Meehan (South Pacific)

Erik Reichenback (Micronesia)

Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island)

We can wait for the actual cast announcement to discuss the Fans.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: S26 Returning Favorites"
Posted by Round Robin on 12-19-12 at 01:35 AM
Lotta wackjobs in that tribe.

Posted by Estee on 12-19-12 at 01:42 AM
"Favorites of who?" would definitely be the dominant question. Count the strategists. Count the major players. -- and you're done. Okay, now just to use up the rest of our time, count the lunatics, nutcases, terminal idiots, uber-beyotches, and complete wastes of space. It'll take a lot longer, even if you don't have to pause for screaming.

(Could be worse. If you believe the rumors -- and I can say this safely now as a total non-spoiler -- we were originally supposed to get Troyzan. )

In the original Half-A.S.Sed, the fans seemed to be cast as a giant raised middle finger towards the viewers. Fair's fair -- this time, the "favorites" are playing that role. Or maybe everyone is: we won't know until we see what MB thinks fans are like this time around. 'People who've never seen the show' is still a given.

What this grouping tells me first and foremost: they're casting for perceived characters more than they are gameplay. It's as if the just-completed season scared them. Four people who just about earned their way into the last episode? Can't let that happen again. Time to carry the crazies, coddle the morons, and ignore the cries of pain from the viewership. Corinne may be the happiest person in the group: for someone who hates the universe, this is a dream tribe. So many targets, so little vocabulary to use on them -- and with Phillip, absolutely no chance that he understands any of it. This season is going to be all about the personality clashes, at least for those who have actual personalities. Come to think of it, the ideal casting model for this group might have been Abi-Maria...

And yes, we have a Hantz. The horse is dead, buried, was dug up by the Chenbot just in time to have it vomit maggots all over her hamster cage, and CBS is still trying to ride the thing. At some point, it would be nice if anyone at the network asked themselves why.

(It's been noted that keeping Bashers and Spoilers separate might be an impossible challenge this season. And how.)

Get ready for...

Survivor: So The Drama

All weeping will be your own.

And possibly Erik's. He's sensitive that way.

Posted by Karchita on 12-29-12 at 10:46 PM
Bravo, Estee! For a truly epic rant. Well said.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-19-12 at 02:16 AM
UGH!!! Hate Cochran and Phillip. Hate Brandon Hantz. I'm sure they'll be pushing Cochran.

The only ones worth seeing again are Malcolm and Brenda and maybe Andrea.

Which one is Erick? Is he the kid who was tricked into giving away his idol? How does he possibly qualify as a favorite??? And Corinne, didn't people hate her?

Posted by dabo on 12-19-12 at 02:46 AM
Erik (have corrected post above). Yes, last man standing in the original FvF.

From what I understand they started with a "second chances" theme and later came to the realization that a whole cast of this sort would just be too damn funny or something.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-19-12 at 06:38 AM
Right, it is well known they were trying to do a Second Chance edition. Andrew Savage was one of the earlier ones called to interview. Everyone on the list arguably made a serious blunder, error, or had some bad luck.

TAR and Survivor have a casting overlap, and TAR already did a 2nd chance season. Then on top of that Survivor has to have its roster of types, including a villain or two or three.

Troyzan was supposedly replaced by Malcolm, as the casting gold they struck last season.

We could try to make a list of what each one did that blew it.

I have NO clue why they brought back Corinne. Jeff did not like her at all. Maybe it's her chance to be less mean.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-19-12 at 06:54 PM
Thanks Dabo and OFG for the background. Second Chances makes a lot more sense with this list vs. Favorites.

Bummed that Andrew Savage didn't make the cut -- I would have liked to see him get another chance.

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-19-12 at 08:44 PM
Andrew Savage

Yes, bar none, I would have been thrilled to see Andrew come back! Who else could, would evoke such a positive reaction?

I really liked Jim Rice, I think he was a gamer, but didn't have a chance when Cochroach betrayed the whole bunch... I'd like to see someone like that get another chance, a gamer.

What about Ace Gordon? I would like to see what he could possibly do?

What about Stephen Fishbach? I wouldn't mind seeing David Murphy again, either. Interesting that I can't think of any other girls that I would like to see come back...

Posted by michel on 12-26-12 at 11:54 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-26-12 AT 11:57 AM (EST)

I have to agree with Ace Gordon, Jim Rice, Stephen and David and I'd add Marty to have 5 men who tried to play the game but got burned one way or another.

For the women, you could easily count Amy O'Hara, Peih Gee Law, Tracy Hughes-Wolfe, Jackie Berg, Laura Morett and Monica Culpepper that have the same credentials.

If we have to see returning players, those would be fun to watch a second time but they are way too level-headed for Jiffy.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-19-12 at 07:09 AM
How They Blew it or had bad luck ... spec

Andrea Boehlke (Redemption Island) ~ Trusted Rob, stuck with Ometepe. Sort of a fave, at least Sucks liked her.

John Cochran (South Pacific) ~ trusted Coach, flipped on his tribe. Not a favorite, unless Cockroach is term of endearment.

Malcolm Freberg (Philippines) ~ let his main ally revert to free agent by not giving her any assurances. A genuine favorite.

Brandon Hantz (South Pacific) ~ gave away immunity (and batsh*t crazy). Hardly a favorite.

Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island) ~ got on wrong side out of the gate, trusted Phillip out of necessity. First boot.

Corinne Kaplan (Gabon) ~ mean to Susie and Sugar, just plain mean. Onion alliance went down with false merge, but Corinne didn't get quite as screwed as Marcus or Charlie. So I think it's mostly her mouth that needs a 2nd chance. Never a favorite in any way.

Brenda Lowe (Nicaragua) ~ supposed mastermind, failed to scramble when she saw her alliance turning on her. Designated hot chick.

Dawn Meehan (South Pacific) ~ Trusted Cochran, didn't report to Savai'i that Cochran might flip IIRC. Favorite.

Erik Reichenback (Micronesia) ~ Gave away immunity, held title of dumbest Survivor move ever once held by James, maybe dethroned by JT. Ironically, a Fan who is now playing a Fave on TV. Very naive first season.

Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island) ~ Hardly needs 2nd chance, got to F3 by acting batsh*t crazy, obnoxious, etc.. Jeff thinks he is entertaining.

Season breakdown: S16 and later only

S 16 Micronesia: 1
S 17 Gabon: 1
S 18 Tocantins 0
S 19 Samoa 0
S 21 Nicaragua: 1
S 22 Redemption Island 3 (all Ometepe)
S23 South Pacific 3 (One Upolu, 2 Savai'i)
S24 One World 0 (Troyzan cut)
S 25 Philippines 1

I think the Fan v. Faves is just some last minute theme they went with as maybe the Second Chance casting made even less sense.

Rumor was that some outrageous demands were made when they started interviews, and Phillip was part of that. Somehow it became a big mess and the original vision didn't pan out ...

"One issue."
Posted by Estee on 12-19-12 at 08:36 AM
Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island) ~ Hardly needs 2nd chance, got to F3 by acting batsh*t crazy

Acting?!?

Let me guess: his very own trailer and a planet to put it on.

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-19-12 at 11:24 AM
The only Favorite I see on that list at all is Malcolm.

This group has more past Survivors that I really disliked: Brenda, Brandon, Corrine, Cochroach, Phillip, Francesca(how could she be a favorite when she was there for 1 episode???) With a group like this I am surprised they didn't bring NaOnka back...gawd!

Dawn and Andrea...I like them, but wasn't impressed by them at all. Would have rather seen Grant back. Dawn...would have rather have seen Jim Rice back. But, these two are ok.

Erik: He could be fun to watch

Malcolm: Clearly, a favorite. I suspect he's going to have a very very hard time playing with the likes of Cochran and Brandon.

Hmmm, maybe Malc will jump to the fans side asap and stand a chance? Who knows.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-19-12 at 07:17 PM
Francesca(how could she be a favorite when she was there for 1 episode???)

Technically, she was around for three episodes I've been re-watching RI over the past few weeks and was pleasantly surprised at Francesca. She was actually pretty likeable out there. But you're absolutely right--three episodes do not make a favorite.

Andrea - What exactly did she do in RI? Not a favorite.

John - I didn't mind Cochran during SP. I thought he was at least memorable.

Malcolm - Favorite.

Brandon - Gods, no.

Francesca - No, see above.

Corinne - Who will actually list down Corinne as a fan favorite?

Brenda - You can definitely make an argument as to why Brenda was cast. She was the femme fatale of her season, and given the way that the casting department lately, I'd say it helps a lot that she's Asian.

Dawn - Between Dawn and Holly, I actually prefer the latter. But yes, a case could definitely be made for her as well.

Erik - He's OK. Not the best choice, but there aren't really a lot of choices after the influx of returning players we've had lately.

Phillip - Big. Huge. Eh. He's there for drama, and that's understandable from a casting standpoint. But favorite? Definitely not.

Posted by suzzee on 12-19-12 at 04:13 PM
I have a hard time seeing alliances forming with the Redemption Islanders Phillip, Andrea, & Francesca or the South Pacific returnees Cochran, Dawn or Hantz. (gasp)

I do see Malcolm and Erik together for some reason. All in all this seems a little shaky to me.

In yo face! Thanks Tribey <[BR>

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 12-19-12 at 07:20 PM
Given his history with success with older women, I wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm seeks Dawn out for an alliance.

I can already see Francesca's eyes rolling every time Phillip speaks. I don't know if there's still bad blood between them, but if there is, expect them to gun for each other right at the first episode.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-19-12 at 06:56 PM
With this cast, I just can't imagine how Jeff could say S26 is going to be as good or better than this past season. Here's hoping the fans are good, and like FloPo mentioned, maybe Malcolm with team up with them and kick some butt!

Posted by Estee on 12-19-12 at 07:35 PM
I just can't imagine how Jeff could say S26 is going to be as good or better than this past season

Money.

Posted by dabo on 12-20-12 at 01:58 AM
OFG gave a great breakdown of how all these second-chancers blew it originally, so these are just my opinions of these returning "faves".

Andrea Boehlke (Redemption Island) - Champion of Redemption Island, or at least the player who won her way back into the game at the end. Inoffensive returnee, I liked her the first time and thought she was one of those players who just never get her game going. Don't mind that she's back, would rather it was Stephanie though.

John Cochran (South Pacific) - Lovable underdog pre-merge, had no road to victory with his original tribe and made a power move at the merge, and then utterly failed to try to follow it up. Not looking forward to this at all.

Malcolm Freberg (Philippines) - Gold. Glad to see him back. Per his exit rounds we didn't get to see his snarky side in the Philippines, I wanna see his snarky side.

Brandon Hantz (South Pacific) - Never wanted to see him again.

Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island) - Likeable enough player who got caught inbetween an alliance-mate who threw her under the bus and an alliance-mate who threw her to the curb, and then she ended up being the first visitor to Redemption Island.

Corinne Kaplan (Gabon) - I'm assuming she's here because Randy already got his second chance.

Brenda Lowe (Nicaragua) - Yeah, Asian eye-candy. She does have personal magnetism but didn't really pay that much attention to the game.

Dawn Meehan (South Pacific) - I did like her, a sensible older player who had the misfortune of being on a tribe which would be ruled by the young and Ozzy-struck.

Erik Reichenback (Micronesia) - Likeable kid, by the time he won himself the crown of making the worst mistake ever it was obvious he wasn't going to win anyway, I've always suspected he just went with it to be memorable.

Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island) - No thanks, never wanted to see him again. He started the game with no clue what the game was about and managed to finish it the same way.

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-26-12 at 10:27 AM
John Cochran (South Pacific) - Lovable underdog pre-merge, had no road to victory with his original tribe and made a power move at the merge, and then utterly failed to try to follow it up. Not looking forward to this at all.

Wow, this is really a contrasting viewpoint of Cochran, at least from mine. Maybe that is why they brought him back?

Loveable underdog: See, I didn't see one thing that made him a loveable underdog...I saw that CBS and Jiffy kept forcing him upon us, and I found him extremely un-loveable. I didn't see anything redeeming about him either.

"Had no road to victory with his original tribe". Totally disagree with this. At first it seemed as though he had no road to victory. But, he was in a tribe with multiple alphas, and if he had played his cards right, he could have made it...perhaps. And, as I recall, Dawn was his ally, and he even got Jim on board with him. And, by the end, he had Ozzy giving him the HII. So, I saw someone that was on the sure road to end game had he remained loyal.

I saw that he was the one that deemed his tribe unworthy and flipped from a tribe where he could have possibly outlasted. He flipped to a tribe where he was on the bottom.

Regardless, he's a very controversial character that I think we can all agree got far too much attention from everyone involved on the show. I really didn't like his sad sack story, and in the end felt that he was more a villain than anyone in his tribe was. Just saying.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-26-12 at 01:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-26-12 AT 01:33 PM (EST)

I see Cochran the same way as Dabo does, except I'm looking forward to seeing if he learned anything at all or if he will play the same way. I think he's smart enough to change his gameplay.

Not a real fan of Cochran either but he really didn't have a chance with Ozzy et al because he was constantly undermined and belittled, he had nothing to gain by sticking it out with his original tribe as he would just have been taken for a ride and then discarded. Jim only saw Cochran as a pawn and was harsh to him. Cochran needed to make a power move to show he was deserving of votes if he got to the end, and the intent was good but execution was poor. That's why I'm intrigued to see if he learned anything as I will always respect someone for trying to make a move instead of just riding along with the majority. Andrea, for example, tried to make a move and fought hard to stay in the game while Ashley and Natalie just sat around all day picking at armpit hair, so I'm happy to see someone like her make it as a returning player over a sheep.

Eta: wouldn't have minded seeing Jim Rice again, either, but Cochran fit the second chances motif better.

Posted by michel on 12-26-12 at 12:23 PM
>Andrea Boehlke (Redemption Island) - Champion
>of Redemption Island, or at
>least the player who won
>her way back into the
>game at the end.
>Inoffensive returnee, I liked her
>the first time and thought
>she was one of those
>players who just never get
>her game going. Don't
>mind that she's back, would
>rather it was Stephanie though.

Totally agree, especially about casting Stephanie in her place.

>John Cochran (South Pacific) - Lovable
>underdog pre-merge, had no road
>to victory with his original
>tribe and made a power
>move at the merge, and
>then utterly failed to try
>to follow it up.
>Not looking forward to this
>at all.

Lovable is much too strong a term but he had this "abandoned puppy" story that got way too much inportance. He thought he was good at this game but failed the first time. It happens so let's see if he learned something. In the same category, I'd have chosen Spencer though.

>Malcolm Freberg (Philippines) - Gold.
>Glad to see him back.
> Per his exit rounds
>we didn't get to see
>his snarky side in the
>Philippines, I wanna see his
>snarky side.

>Brandon Hantz (South Pacific) - Never
>wanted to see him again.

Totally agree on both.
When will CBS realize that the Hantz clan is pestilence? Only if we ignore them so this is the last I'll say on the nephew.

>Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island) - Likeable
>enough player who got caught
>inbetween an alliance-mate who threw
>her under the bus and
>an alliance-mate who threw her
>to the curb, and then
>she ended up being the
>first visitor to Redemption Island.

First boot...A wasted spot. So many better choices could have been made here.

>Corinne Kaplan (Gabon) - I'm assuming
>she's here because Randy already
>got his second chance.

An Insider clip showed Corinne saying that the Marcus-Jacquie connection would be dangerous so she did have some game. I'd like to see her play in a season when the main theme wasn't to turn Sugar into a sweetheart.

>Brenda Lowe (Nicaragua) - Yeah, Asian
>eye-candy. She does have
>personal magnetism but didn't really
>pay that much attention to
>the game.

I can't agree here. She got the boot because she tried to turn the tables on Sash and misread Na'Onka. Who knew that Na'Onka was on a suicide mission that would destroy the season at the same time?

>Dawn Meehan (South Pacific) - I
>did like her, a sensible
>older player who had the
>misfortune of being on a
>tribe which would be ruled
>by the young and Ozzy-struck.

I'm ok with seeing her back but Peih Gee and Tracy would have been slightly better choices.

>Erik Reichenback (Micronesia) - Likeable kid,
>by the time he won
>himself the crown of making
>the worst mistake ever it
>was obvious he wasn't going
>to win anyway, I've always
>suspected he just went with
>it to be memorable.

The best choice of all, I think. There was something wrong with that kid but he was fun.

>Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island) - No
>thanks, never wanted to see
>him again. He started
>the game with no clue
>what the game was about
>and managed to finish it
>the same way.

Well, we knew he'd be back so let's hope he learned something...besides redeeming his edit.

Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

Posted by Estee on 12-26-12 at 03:17 PM
A lot of people would be happier if he'd just learned to change his underwear.

Posted by michel on 12-26-12 at 04:55 PM
Of course he's changed underwear: The old ones were sold on eBay...

Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 12-29-12 at 09:09 AM
These people, with the exception of Malcolm are clearly NOT favorites!

A favorite would be Rupert or Ozzy or Boston Rob. Even Rob Cesternino and Stephen Fishbach. I don't know if I will be able to watch the likes of Cockroach, Francesca, Corrine and Brandon Hantz again - what losers! Malcolm's only salvation will be that he is a Fan of the show and will know these characters from past seasons, and possibly, they will NOT know who he is.

Not looking forward to the casting blunder of S26. Sometimes I think EpMB throws this crap at us to make us want to say goodbye to Survivor for good!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-29-12 at 09:37 PM
Like I said, they weren't originally picked as favorites. It was a second chance edition. I think it may have been all second chancers, and then stuff happened so they added newbies.

I suppose it is hard to make something catchy out of Newbies vs. Obnoxious Screw-ups plus Malcolm -- so it was the lazy way out to make it fans vs. faves v. 2.

There is no way to explain this casting as a true F v F season, and there's no real justification for it at all.

I think they have been saving the real favorites for a true All Stars at maybe S30 and then be done, but who knows if they'll survive that long after this. Jeff is still asking for applications, but I wonder ... by now there should be strong rumors about the next location, as it's only 2-3 months away from filming.

Posted by jasonkola on 12-29-12 at 10:50 PM
This is an interesting returning cast. I can not say any of them would be one of my favorites. I can say I like a few and dislike a few. Even though I always say I do not never want to see one player or another it is fun to have someone to root against. For me this will be Philip and Brandon. I have a few I like which I will be rooting for. These are Andrea, Malcolm, Dawn, Eric and maybe Brenda.
I am not crazy about this returning cast I would have much rather had Troyzan. Something tells me I will be rooting for the fans this season. We will have to wait and see.

Posted by Brownroach on 01-02-13 at 11:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-02-13 AT 11:06 PM (EST)

"Make other plans for Wednesday evenings" - check.

Posted by parathor on 01-09-13 at 03:13 PM
Yeah, like... they should have called it "Fans vs. Villains" or something. And not even the awesome villains! (Fans v. Not-very-bright-villains?)

Swap Malcolm for Colton, Andrea for Abi-Maria, and Dawn with... someone.

Voila.

Posted by michel on 01-09-13 at 06:16 PM
I know that Andrea Boehlke, Malcolm Freberg, Francesca Hogi, Brenda Lowe, Dawn Meehan are the favorites of many viewers.

I also know that Phillip Shepard, John Cochran, Brandon Hantz are Probst's favorites.

That's all they really need to call them Favorites.

On my part, they were mostly boring even if Andrea and Brenda were good looking.

The two I am moderately happy to see again are Erik and Corinne. They weren't boring but I never expected to see either again.

Posted by Round Robin on 01-10-13 at 00:34 AM
Brandon Hantz is a damn wackjob and I'd a hell of a lot rather seen RussHell for a 4th time than Brandon for a 2nd. After Willie going psycho on Big Brother I think JiffyProbe's chances of getting any more Hantzes on Survivor after they get done with S26 are pretty much shot to hell.

"Cast Announcement - Friday"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-10-13 at 07:25 PM
Just got a tweet from TDT saying that the cast is being announced tomorrow. Seems rather unusual to have it on a Friday...

"RE: Cast Announcement - Friday"
Posted by Estee on 01-10-13 at 08:37 PM
Either they're hoping most people will miss seeing the weaklings being used to give this season's Creator's Pet an easy road to the win, or this group is so horrible that they're hoping it'll get lost in the football previews.

...maybe that's more of an and than an or.

"RE: Cast Announcement - Friday"
Posted by kingfish on 01-11-13 at 12:14 PM
It's your fault that we will have to listen to BH's confessionals again. You said the H word.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 01-18-13 at 08:55 PM
I'm going to assume that this cast of fans is about average...a solid C. Like the cast of Redemption Island.

Based on that, let's see how this class of alleged Favorites goes.

Andrea Boehlke (Redemption Island) - I'm not entirely sure what exactly she succeeded at besides snuggling up to Captain Clueless and being voted out twice. But she did make Top 6. C+

John Cochran (South Pacific) - The nerd screwed up the season. Let's see if he learned from his mistakes. A-

Malcolm Freberg (Philippines) - Almost a solid contributor - but serious flaws in his game. Like Ozzy but more humble. A-

Brandon Hantz (South Pacific) - Every time CBS cast a Hantz, it got worse. From Russell I (awesome) to Russell II (still pretty good) to Russell III (a dud with no chance) to born-again Hantz (did one thing right and acted like a dope the rest of the time) to he-who-shall-not-be-named (a dud who flushed his chance down the toilet.) Guessing this one will be even worse. F

Francesca Hogi (Redemption Island) - She got voted out first. That's all I need to know. D

Corinne Kaplan (Gabon) - The Queen of Mean. Of needless mean. Of obnoxious, venomous, total-lack-of-strategy mean. D-

Brenda Lowe (Nicaragua) - Fell apart by trusting a loose cannon. Stuck on a tribe with several. C-

Dawn Meehan (South Pacific) - Tough, but doomed. A lot of potential. Won't get it done on her own. B+

Erik Reichenback (Micronesia) - Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Bonus for irony. Negatives for being an idiot. B-

Phillip Shepard (Redemption Island) - Biggest accomplishments on the island: Pink underwear. Making up words. Mispronouncing names. Bragging about his past in a non-specific way. Dropping the N-word. Getting Ralph to vote for him. D

Average grade: C. I might stick out this season after all.

"It was originally going to be worse."
Posted by Estee on 02-04-13 at 07:35 PM
I just found out (EW) that Shambo and Matt (RI) were asked to be in this case. Both declined.