URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7990
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Jury Speculation Thread"

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-10-12 at 09:28 AM
The path to the end is rapidly unfolding. Here is where we can make a case for any of the remaining DAWS left

I'll start.

Denise received a lot of quotes from others that could be regarded as million dollar quotes. She has survived every TC. She was stellar in pre-merge editing, but she has gotten some doubt cast on her in making it to the end. Especially regarding Abi. She has taken a stance and said that she is firmly on board with the "more deserving, more social and strategic" players to get to the end. So, if she sticks by that, how could she explain away getting rid of her closest ally in the game, Malcolm, if indeed he is booted at F4?

One person that will not vote for Denise is Abi. But, then again, we have seen more outspoken jurors end up voting for their "evil stepsisters". So?

I do think Penner, who sure appears to be the voice of reason in Ponderosa clips, would reward either Malcolm or Denise over Skupin/Lisa. And, I think Kent would, Pete and Artis would, but they could be influenced by Abi, but I don't think they will. And, I think that Malcolm would vote for her too. So, that would be enough.

If Skupin gets there, I think he would get RC's vote and maybe Abi's vote. Maybe Carter's? But, Carter being reunited with Kent means he is capable of being influenced again by Kent. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter go along with Jeff. And, I don't think Kent will vote for the returnee or his little Church Lady friend. I also have some doubt regarding Penner's vote. While he said he would vote for Denise/Malcolm over them in a final, would he really? After all, he is a returner and if Skupin makes it to the end, I could see Penner giving him the nod.

Lisa. The only jury member I think that would vote for her may be Abi. That's it.

Malcolm: Bar none, I think Malcolm would win in a landslide. I think everyone would vote for him. I don't think he has any real enemies on the jury.

So, this could play out in a very close TC, in the end?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Jury Speculation Thread"
Posted by hrh40 on 12-10-12 at 11:30 AM
Before possibly booting Malcolm, Denise has already been inconsistent with her strategy of wanting to play against the best people:

Why did she vote for Carter and not Abi if she wants only to face the best at the end?

She doesn't think Abi can win and yet she didn't vote her out.

Inconsistent.

Posted by dabo on 12-11-12 at 10:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-12 AT 10:29 PM (EST)

Welcome aboard. Every vote off is a group decision, you have to go after the player you think the group will decide they have the best reason to vote off. Once the group decision is made players don't often break the vote plan and expect the group to be pleased.

Besides, she didn't say she actually wanted to be sitting next to the best player at FTC, she said she didn't want to take someone (Abi) to FTC just because she knew she could beat her.

Posted by Bebo on 12-10-12 at 01:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-10-12 AT 01:12 PM (EST)

If Malcolm is in the final 3, he wins. Period. Even against Denise, although the only final 3 that would be interesting would include both Denise and Malcolm.

The important thing to note is that the majority of the jury is Tandang. That tribe went to the merge intact, and if they had stuck together, they would have dominated. I think that those jury members would vote against Lisa and Skupin for 2 reasons: revenge and lack of respect for their gameplay. Skupin also has a strike against him for being a returning player - there was a lot of talk earlier about not letting a returning player win. The only way they'd vote for any of them is if the F3 were Lisa, Skupin, and Abi. At that point, I think they'd vote Skupin.

The remaining jury members are Kalabaw. They'd be influenced by strategy, who they thought played the game at best. They also wouldn't mind having the last laugh on Tandang either, by voting against the original Tandang.

Abi is the only vote that could go any way, since she's cuckoo. If Malcolm is there, she'll vote for him because he was the nicest to her, but she has reasons to vote against all of the others.

Denise would earn respect for being at every tribal council and not getting voted out, and for surviving both the minority tribes pre-merge. Talk about Outlast. She'd also get respect for her challenge strength. Carter, Jeff, and Penner would also vote for her, since they might not have made merge without having her in their pre-merge alliance (before Dana's medivac, there was a male-female even split, and Denise was the swing vote who went with the men).

Unless the F3 from hell (Skupin/Lisa/Abi) were to happen, Malcolm or Denise wins. If they're both there, Malcolm wins. And I don't think the vote will be close unless it's F3 from hell. I just seriously think that such a well-edited season could end with such a pathetic F3, so we're looking at a win for a Matsing.

edited because I hadn't finished a sentence, and it would have been even more confusing if I hadn't fixed it

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-10-12 at 04:13 PM
Just looking at the numbers right now...

Still in the game:
3 Tandang (Skupin, Abi, Lisa)
1 Matsing-Tandang (Malcolm)
1 Matsing-Kalabaw (Denise)

On the jury:
3 former Kalabaw (Kent, Penner, Carter)
3 former Tandang (RC, Pete, Artis)

So if Denise is in the final 3 but Malcolm isn't, we have a jury with 4 original Tandangs, 3 original Kalabaws and 1 original Matsing. Denise would theoretically have an advantage there because any two of Skupin/Lisa/Abi could split the Tandang votes while Denise gets at least three of the other four (except possibly Carter). Artis will not vote for Skupin under any circumstances and possibly Pete too, based on their exit interviews.

Who knows how Carter will feel about someone who called him like a son but still voted him out, and ditto for Penner who had Skupin/Lisa reject his pleas. I believe these rejections counter any argument that might be made against Denise if she should choose to go against Malcolm at F4 as I believe will happen. She could justify the Malcolm vote by saying it's a her-or-him situation as Skupin/Lisa were clearly voting together and she had to go with the safe approach to get herself to the end.

F3 matchups (in my view):

Skupin-Lisa-Abi = Skupin wins
Skupin-Lisa-Denise = Denise wins
Skupin-Lisa-Malcolm = Malcolm wins
Skupin-Abi-Malcolm = Malcolm wins
Skupin-Abi-Denise = Denise wins
Skupin-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm wins
Lisa-Abi-Denise = Denise wins
Lisa-Abi-Malcolm = Malcolm wins
Lisa-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm wins
Abi-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm wins

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 12-10-12 at 09:00 PM
Skupin-Lisa-Abi = Skupin
Skupin-Lisa-Denise = Skupin, possibly Denise
Skupin-Lisa-Malcolm = Malcolm
Skupin-Abi-Malcolm = Malcolm
Skupin-Abi-Denise = Skupin, possibly Denise
Skupin-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm, possibly Denise if vote splits
Lisa-Abi-Denise = Denise
Lisa-Abi-Malcolm = Malcolm
Lisa-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm
Abi-Denise-Malcolm = Malcolm

Best chance to get votes
Malcolm
Skupin
Denise
Lisa
Abi
Least chance to get votes

Posted by michel on 12-10-12 at 08:00 PM
The only F3 that needs discussion is Denise, Lisa and Mike because replacing any of the 3 by Malcolm leads to a win by "Jesus" while dragging Abi into it doesn't change the result.

So, I see:

RC: Mike
Kent: Denise
Artis: Lisa
Pete: Mike
Penner: Mike
Carter: Mike
Malcolm: Denise
Abi: Lisa.

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 12-10-12 at 09:07 PM
In a Mike/Denise/Lisa F3 and granting a jury that will base their votes on the season as it is and not on the FTC, here's what I think will happen:

RC: Almost a lock for Mike
Kent: Most likely Denise, possibly Mike
Artis: Probably Denise, possibly Lisa (i.e., anyone not named Mike)
Pete: Probably Mike, possibly Denise
Penner: Mike, possibly Denise
Carter: Almost a lock for Mike
Malcolm: Almost a lock for Denise
Abi: Almost a lock for Lisa, Mike as backup

So I would guess a close fight between Mike and Denise, probably in a 4-3-1 vote.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-11-12 at 11:03 AM
I am in agreement with michel and Spot.

Artis: Lisa or Denise
Pete: probably Mike, maybe Denise
Penner: Mike
Abi: don't see her voting for Denise or Lisa based on her conflict with them so Mike.

The thing that I find funny is that if either Artis or Pete votes for Denise, then Abi could be deciding vote on the jury. We saw an awful lot of the dissension between Abi and Denise (it was overkill IMO).

Thanks for starting this discussion FloPo!

Posted by tikigirlie on 12-11-12 at 04:13 PM
I agree that this is the only scenario worth discussing. If I had to choose one vote ...

Pete: Denise
Penner: Denise
Abi: Lisa

I'm interested as to why others think Penner would vote for Mike over Denise. I personally think he respects the social and physical aspects of Denise's game. He may have had a F3 deal with Skupin, but I think that's because Penner knew Skupin would not get votes. If he's a "deserving player" jury member, why would he throw his vote to someone who he didn't think would garner enough on his own? He might not be vengeful, but that doesn't mean he would reward Skupin with his vote.

I would be willing to waver on who Pete/Artis/Penner vote for. Those 3 could definitely go in different directions.

Posted by mimo on 12-11-12 at 00:24 AM
Great thread FP!! I feel like I need a spreadsheet!

Here's how I see the jury voting in order of preference among the remaining five players:

RC: Denise, Malcolm, Lisa (I don't see her voting for Mike since he betrayed her -- suspect she's a lock for Denise given the tension with Abi and the wink.)
Jeff K: Denise, Malcolm, Mike (not entirely sure on this one, but I give Denise an edge as she never actually betrayed him and he's spent more time with her)
Artis: Abi, Malcolm, Denise (I don't see him voting for Mike -- and I suspect he's not a big supporter of Lisa even though she was not the cause of the demise of the alliance)
Pete: Abi, Malcolm, Lisa (same argument as Artis, although since he was closer to Abi, he might prefer Lisa to Denise.)
Penner: Denise, Malcolm, Mike (I suspect he'll give Denise the edge given her story)
Carter: Mike, Lisa, Malcolm

Wild cards:
Abi: Malcolm, Mike (her vote will be for a guy)
Denise: Malcolm, Mike
Malcolm: Denise, Mike
Lisa: Mike, Malcolm
Mike: Lisa, Malcolm (although I'm not entirely sure here...)

So I give Malcolm the edge against Denise and any of the others, Denise the edge over Lisa and Mike, and Mike the edge over Lisa and Abi.

"Skupin tweets..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-11-12 at 10:37 PM
Hrmmm.

He sounds rather definite about a re-vote... sounds to me like there will be some extra drama in this season's finale.

"RE: Skupin tweets..."
Posted by dabo on 12-11-12 at 11:11 PM
They can't have a revote on live TV, not after all these months out of the game and airing the entire thing for all to see.

Probst would have to tally the votes, announce the tie, eliminate the player not in the tie if it is an F3 (nine jurists voting between F2 cannot tie). Then the simple solution would be to have the eliminated F3 player who hadn't previously voted go cast a vote to break the tie. But of course that person would know absolutely that whoever got their vote would win. But in Jiffyspeak that would be a revote since the first round of voting had already been concluded. And they would have to show it.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-11-12 at 11:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-12 AT 11:39 PM (EST)

Yeah, if there's a revote, it would only take place while they're all still on the island - the producers just need to check to see if there's a tie or not and have them revote before releasing the cast to pack up and go home.

I think the producers no longer care so much about the illusion that it's a complete mystery who wins while they're still over there and it will only be revealed live. They'll come up with something *if* there's a revote.

Posted by michel on 12-12-12 at 08:25 AM
That is the general consensus but don't forget that during the Micronesia finale (F2, jury of 8) we heard that Probst had a white envelop in case of a tie. We never heard what was in there.

Posted by michel on 12-11-12 at 11:15 PM
Drama? How about stupidity? Why have a 8 person jury in the first place?

F2 with a 7 person jury worked for the first 12 seasons. One of the few things that didn't need fixing...

They should give a vote to the one that received no votes.

Posted by dabo on 12-11-12 at 11:28 PM
Agree. It is, however, a great incentive for not taking a goat to FTC! I mean, can you imagine how irrational and angry Abi would be having to suddenly go cast a vote when only minutes before she had been expecting to wait half a year to find out she was a millionaire?

Posted by michel on 12-12-12 at 08:23 AM
Wouldn't matter because she'd still have to vote.

Posted by toad8098 on 12-12-12 at 12:59 PM
if the first round of voting ends in a tie, I could see it going 3-3-2.

RC: Michael
Jeff: Denise
Pete: Michael
Carter: Michael
Abi: Lisa

would they just make the two people that voted for Lisa re-vote?? Abi would change to Michael & Artis to Denise, thus keeping it a tie at 4-4. Unless they make Lisa the tiebreaker, thus voting for Michael.

Posted by dabo on 12-12-12 at 03:46 PM
It's a wild vote, though, no matter who would have to cast it. The jury goes into FTC prepared to vote, the finalists only to make their cases.

Denise the "sex therapist" (whatever that is) would be screwed in the Denise/Lisa/Skupin F3 scenario, either she casts the tie-breaker or one of the two religion-business Tandang casts the deciding vote. Gosh, golly, "God help me decide this."

Posted by Brownroach on 12-14-12 at 01:36 AM
Wouldn't there be some extra-ultra-mega hype about how "the unthinkable happens in the finale!!!!" if there were going to be an initial tie? Granted a revote would fill up some extra time if required in the episode, but still I am not seeing this happening. It is simply not a good dramatic ending for the show. We have indications that the jury spoke to each other pre-vote, as they have done in the past, and it is always assured there is no tie.

Posted by dabo on 12-14-12 at 01:52 AM
Agree. Skupin answered the question truthfully, the follow-up cynical observation got a response which would not be invalidated.

Posted by Bebo on 12-14-12 at 09:45 AM
Wouldn't there be some extra-ultra-mega hype about how "the unthinkable happens in the finale!!!!" if there were going to be an initial tie?

I took Skupin's comment to mean that the producers had thought of how to handle a tie just in case and went through with it just in case it was needed (probably some sort of revote). With so many seasons past, it would make sense that they'd have a plan to handle the possibility of a tie.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-12-12 at 00:59 AM
FloPo, thanks for starting this thread -- always fun to speculate on jury votes.

Thought this excerpt from Probst's Hollywood Reporter interview might shed some insight to the conversation:

---

THR: Is there anything that surprised you about the final two episodes?

Probst: I think what came across to me in the final episodes is that the people who are there and the cases they make as to why they deserve it really speak to how they played the game. I think when you're watching the finale, you will have a good idea who has won based on what they're saying because they all tell their story, and when they're telling their stories, it's really clear who deserves to win. That isn't always the case. Sometimes people get up there, and they're just a jumbled mess. The people on this final episode, even if it works against them, they tell the truth of how they played the game.

Posted by suzzee on 12-12-12 at 06:36 PM
The people on this final episode, even if it works against them, they tell the truth of how they played the game.

Just a random thought on this statement is that when Probst said Malcolm was a shoe in unless he did something crazy and Malcolm replied that he does crazy things it made me wonder if Malcolm does do or says something crazy and it works against him in the final vote.

Coronation by Tribe

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-12-12 at 07:12 PM
That's certainly possible, but note the key wording there: "The people on this final episode..."

This could fit in with Malcolm being booted in fourth place because I don't see anyone beating him in front of a final jury short of an Amanda-like freeze up and he certainly doesn't project as a type to freeze up in front of the jury.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-13-12 at 02:34 AM
At the 3:25 mark of this new Ponderosa clip, Penner, RC and others talk about who will be the final jury member, etc. Some insight into where the jury members' heads are at:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/O1KS_JFMYVtNA2Cciv9jvVCeC092NhZ0/survivor-philippines-ponderosa-abi-maria-pt-2

Everyone appears to agree that Malcolm is the biggest threat. Penner says that if Denise wins immunity, she should vote out Malcolm and then "she'll be guaranteed the win." Based on this, seems to be a slam dunk!

P.S. Can't recall if it's in this Ponderosa clip or the other one, but Abi hilariously says that Survivor has made her a better person. And RC tells her off and says that Abi is "the most disgusting player to ever play" the game.

Posted by dabo on 12-13-12 at 02:50 AM
TY for bringing that over. Abi is calm throughout, her accent less distinct, she is more articulate and rational than she has previously shown herself to be. RC, per her queen of the Ponderosa campaign, is the irrational and pushy trying to get her own way ultimately frustrated diva here.

Seriously, the other jurists have the same opinion of RC as the players in the game had of Abi, except they have no option of getting rid of her, they have been stuck with her.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-13-12 at 03:45 AM
Hi Dabo, agreed! I liked RC in the game but she needs to get over it all. She's been a bit of a downer in Ponderosa. In the first Abi video, RC won't even say hi when she gets to Ponderosa, but then she can't wait to run over and tell Abi that it was Pete who planted the idol clue.

And what's up with Jeff Kent?!?! It's like he won't socialize or something and tries to hide from the camera. A bit of a party popper.

Great season in general, but pretty boring from a Ponderosa perspective.

P.S. Lest you think Abi's an angel in Ponderosa, you should watch her first Ponderosa clip. I think that's the one where she talks about how she can't believe people didn't like her and how the game made her a better person.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-13-12 at 02:52 AM
P.S. At the end of the Ponderosa clip, Pete, Penner and Carter are laughing about something as they enter the final TC. Could be nothing, but I wonder if it's because someone unexpected (i.e. not Malcolm or Denise, per the discussion in the spec/clip) wins IC???

On a related note, Skupin seems to be hinting on Twitter tonight that he will win more challenges than Malcolm:

2h Michael Skupin ‏@mikeskupin
Individual #Survivor challenge results Skupin 2 wins Malcolm 2 wins Denise 1 win Abi 1 win Lisa 0 wins Who will be the S25 challenge beast?

2h Paul P ‏@hotflesh
@mikeskupin You still have to factor in reward challenges and Malcolm did win the HII.

2h Michael Skupin ‏@mikeskupin
True, I'm just talking flat out individual reward & immunity challenges @hotflesh

Posted by katethegreat on 12-13-12 at 01:44 PM
Squid, I agree that someone unexpected won immunity. The smiles from Penner and Carter seemed to indicate a surprise, to me.

Posted by tikigirlie on 12-13-12 at 12:27 PM
Is there any where that I could find summaries of the Ponderosa clips? They won't show em up here in Canada and I'd like to know what RC's been doing to make everyone hate her! I'd also like to know what Penner's been up to, miss him!

I don't agree that Abi isn't the most disgusting player to ever play the game, I think she's up there but there's room for debate.

Posted by dabo on 12-13-12 at 12:50 PM
I wouldn't say Abi is disgusting but lacking in self-awareness.

RC is basically a control freak. She wants the other players, especially Pete and Abi, to admit Tandang fell apart because they didn't let RC run the game. It's funny because that is really why Pete wanted her high on the boot list and played the clue trick, there was no way he was going to let RC be in charge. So, no one will tell RC what she really wants to hear, and she just can't let it go.

Posted by Belle Book on 12-13-12 at 12:51 PM
Yeah, like Na'Onka. Now I despised that one -- and not simply because she quit! I hated the way she treated Kelly B.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-13-12 at 02:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-12 AT 02:24 PM (EST)

Oops, replied in the wrong place so deleting here.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-13-12 at 02:26 PM
Sorry, Tikigirl, unfortunately I don't know of anywhere to find summaries now. James Barber at Survivor Sucks used to painstakingly transcribe all the Insider and Ponderosa clips, but he hasn't been posting of late.

Re RC: She just won't let up. She's still holding grudges from the game and wants everyone to admit that she was right and they were wrong. Not to say that many of her points aren't valid -- but she's just a little too intense/Type A about it all. She reminds me of Eliza...in both a good (smart and game savvy) and bad (very New York with a neurotic tinge) kind of way. Eliza is a bit more fun, though!

Re Penner: He's been one of the few bright spots in Ponderosa and has lightened the mood and tried to bring people together...but they aren't playing him up as much as I'd think they would or should. Overall it's been very boring in Losers Lodge, and they haven't taken any fun excursions like they usually do. Not sure why. Carter is a nice kid but boring, Kent doesn't appear to want to socialize or even appear on camera anymore, Pete and Artis are pretty boring too and just try to avoid the crossfire of Abi and RC, so there you have it. You're definitely not missing much up in Canada this season!

Posted by dabo on 12-13-12 at 02:41 PM
Kent is just doing time. He's got three meals a day and a bed to sleep on. He's not been interested in what happens in the game, hates going to Tribal, and will think about who to vote for when the time comes.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-13-12 at 03:01 PM
I think there's a little bit of big MLB player ego mixed in too. At least he showed up to greet Abi to Ponderosa.

Posted by dabo on 12-13-12 at 03:58 PM
When Artis arrived at the Ponderosa Kent greeted him. RC just walked away when Artis walked towards her, leaving Kent to show Artis around. Kent is decent enough to the others but just not interested in the game anymore.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-13-12 at 04:06 PM
Jeff Kent is one of the most prickly people you'll ever meet on Earth, and it has nothing to do with him being a baseball player - it's just part of who he is, the ultra-competitive side of him.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2009-01-21/to-jeff-kent-winning-was-singular-pursuit

Posted by television on 12-14-12 at 01:00 AM
Hey, most of the ponderosa clips are searchable on youtube. I live in Canada and that's how I've been watching them every week.

"So anyway"
Posted by dabo on 12-14-12 at 03:04 AM
Getting back to jury spec winner votes:

I don't agree that Malcolm is a shoo-in should he get to FTC. He's been great and definately could win, though he's no Jonathan Penner. But!

Let's examine who he would be up against, 2 of the following 3:

Denise, therapist. Skillset, listening and talking, being good with words and motivating, staying calm and rational.

Lisa, author and inspirational (religious) speaker. And former child actress, which is really irrelevant except she has been adept at playing for applause for a long time, before she was Blair she was a Mouseketeer.

Michael, author and motivational speaker. Oh my heck! And a co-founder of Rhinosoft Interactive, a maker of Christian-based computer software. He tried, seriously, to be the internet version of having a Gideon Bible in every hotel room.

These are some serious competition, they are all good with words. And now that Abi is no longer around to interrupt with her own strategy of not letting anyone talk without Abi interjecting and spinning, it's anyone's game.

So, my vote predictions --

RC: Malcolm (Alt. Denise)

Jeff: Denise (Alt. Malcolm)

Artis: Lisa (Alt. Malcolm)

Pete: Malcolm (Alt. Mike)

Jonathan: Denise (Alt. Lisa)

Carter: Denise (Alt. Lisa)

Abi: Malcolm (Alt. Lisa)

Denise: Malcolm

Lisa: Denise

Mike: Lisa.

"RE: So anyway"
Posted by mimo on 12-16-12 at 11:17 AM
Hi Dabo,

I agree with you. I think Lisa's unnecessary "Tandang strong" comment at TC might actually have done her more harm than good with the jury. Essentially she called all the Kalabaw guys a weaker tribe (I'm sure that went over well with Jeff K in particular) and then reminded her own tribe that despite being a strong tribe, they're all on the jury..... And all this from Denise calling Abi lucky...

Posted by AaronLittleton on 12-16-12 at 10:00 PM
I agree with many others and feel Malcolm will be voted out at final four.
He's most likely to get Fan Favorite (other than Penner) and he'd get the win if he were allowed to face the jury.

I believe the final three will be Michael, Lisa and Denise. Votes will go something like this:

RC: Denise (slight possibility Mike)
Pete: Lisa
Carter: Denise
Abi: Lisa (maybe Denise, for an ironic twist)

That leaves: Denise - 5, Lisa - 3, Michael - 0
(or slight possibility D - 5, L - 2, M - 1)

Either way, Denise wins Survivor Philippines!