URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 782
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Something interesting I noticed"

Posted by TexanGirl on 04-15-04 at 01:42 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and noticed something interesting on this last episode that I haven't seen mentioned on the boards.

I'm curious just how many times the contestants actually perform live for the judges on the night of the competition. The reason is - I noticed that when LaToya finished her song last night she didn't do her usual jerk of the microphone like she's done at the end of almost every other song she sings. However, when they did the re-cap at the end (to give the us the numbers for each person) there was her microphone jerk! So I rewound the tape and, sure enough, the re-cap wasn't from her aired performance. I checked out Jasmine's and it was different, too. (Didn't look at the others because I do actually have somewhat of a life and couldn't sit in front of the TV for an hour comparing each one!)

Anyway, it just makes me think that they must do several performances (at least 2) for the judges and audience and I wonder how they do it when it's a live show? Or maybe they just have each performer do their songs in front of the audience without the judges there before the actual live show...

I know it's a silly little menial thing, but I was just curious if anyone else noticed it!

-- Liz

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Something interesting I noticed"
Posted by ginger on 04-15-04 at 01:44 PM
I read somewhere that the "recap" moments of each song we see are actually taped previously.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

"yup"
Posted by I_AM_HE on 04-15-04 at 01:53 PM
Ricky posted an article from TV Guide about the Top 20 AI secrets here. From that post:

17) On the Tuesday show, the re-cap at the end is actually taken from dress rehersals (they can't edit that fast).

It was already on page 10 or so, no wonder if new posters haven't seen it. Welcome to the boards TexanGirl

JPL, your next American Idol!

"RE: yup"
Posted by grit on 04-15-04 at 02:00 PM
You're too fast for me HE. I knew I shouldn't have run to the bathroom before hitting "Post Message"!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by grit on 04-15-04 at 01:57 PM
There's a dress rehearsal on Monday nights. They tape the dress rehearsal. Then, they put together the recap that you see at the end of the live show on Tuesday because there's not enough time for them to do it that night.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by AugustGirl on 04-15-04 at 02:20 PM
Hi TexanGirl! Welcome to the boards.

We can never have too many Girls around here!

Posted by EnglProf on 04-15-04 at 02:27 PM
I never saw that list-- so I'm really surprised that that's how they do it! Seems to give contestants an unfair advantage/ disadvantage depending on whether a contestant is better with the crowd there and the w/ the added adrenaline, or is more nervous in front of the live audience. I guess nobody really votes based on the recaps, but really. Talk about smoke and mirrors.

Posted by I_AM_HE on 04-15-04 at 02:30 PM
or too many Texans!

Posted by TexanGirl on 04-15-04 at 02:24 PM
Thanks guys! I had thought maybe they were up to something....those tricky American Idol producers taping a dress rehearsal....too smart for TexanGirl.

Sorry I missed the other posts about it!

-- Liz

"Here's the link"
Posted by mistofleas on 04-15-04 at 02:45 PM
...to the whole list of AI Secrets in case your interested.

Welcome to the boards TexanGirl.

--linking since 1892

"RE: Here's the link"
Posted by nailbone on 04-15-04 at 06:01 PM
13) The order is rotated so no one is always first or last, but an up-tempo song is always first and alternate girl/boy.

"Against All Odds" is up-tempo?!?!?

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

"I simply adore Texans..."
Posted by greenmonstah on 04-15-04 at 02:54 PM
I *do*...So please keep posting!

<--- married a Texan

"Diana was REALLY bad!"
Posted by Joyful on 04-15-04 at 03:05 PM
OMG!

I didn't know about the dress rehearsal taping thing as well. Which does not bode well for Diana because the clip they showed at the end was just as off key as her live performance was!!! She either is not completely over her throat problem or she just sucks at singing that song!!!

Posted by smiley on 04-15-04 at 03:15 PM
This is what happened last night with Latoya...

But backstage, when he met Paula at rehearsals, Quentin admitted, "I love them all." Still, it was a good thing that it wasn't live, because after LaToya sang "Somewhere," Quentin said, "I have three words: ef--n power house!" And while Quentin had cleaned it up for TV, the producers decided they couldn't use it and taped it again with Quentin saying, "I have two words: power house."

Apparently the audience booed the censors when they wanted to re tape it.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

Posted by UmmYeah on 04-15-04 at 05:06 PM
wow! thats really cool, i never thought about that!

Posted by nailbone on 04-15-04 at 05:58 PM
Howdy, TexanGirl! Welcome to the boards.

Check your inbox.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

Posted by ginger on 04-15-04 at 06:35 PM
He probably sent you a yellow rose.

Making lame Texas jokes cos I'm jealous -- welcome!

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho