URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 774
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Can Beau be any more Flaming?"

Posted by bacon on 08-24-05 at 10:17 AM
I really think he sat down and read a manual on how to be stereotypically gay. He somehow manages to pack every single cliche into everything he does. Whether it's the wild arm jestures, the rolling eyes, the limp hand, the pink shirts, the way he jumps up and down when excited, Beau seems to have that act nailed down cold.

What I'm trying to say is that I've never met a gay male who acted like this. Most I know don't fall under the "Jack from Will and Grace" type character. They mostly fall under the "normal human population" mode like everyone else does. I'm telling you, Beau is straight and playing a character. He did it just to get on the show. I have other wild theories that I'll be sharing with you all in the future.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Can Beau be any more Flaming?"
Posted by ARnutz on 08-24-05 at 10:24 AM
*snort*

Maybe he went to The Jack McFarland School of Acting before being cast on Big Brother!!!

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005
I look forward to your other wild theories.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 08-24-05 at 10:31 AM
Yup! Beau was quite find for the casting department. I don't think that I have once thought of him as the "black token" (a la Marvin) this season. He's just the "gay token."

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

Posted by Johnthemascot on 08-24-05 at 10:37 AM
"What I'm trying to say is that I've never met a gay male who acted like this. "

I have.

And that what makes things interesting and great about this world.. diversity.

If everyone was the same, it would be quite boring.

Some people will take pleasure in putting down flamy guys in order to try and boost the people's image of gay people, when in reality, the way to boost that image is for the people to realize that there is as much diversity in the gay community as there is in the straight one.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 08-24-05 at 10:49 AM
I completely agree, but some viewers will not reach this conclusion because Beau is the only gay guy in the house. There's no "mainstream" (for lack of a better word --- and I refuse to use the inaccurate "masculine" or the self-loathing "straight acting") gay guy in the house to provide balance. So, as Beau prances around, he merely confirms stereotypes of gay people foor viewers who have never been exposed to gay folk in real life.

Beau has no responsibility to be a mouthpiece for gay rights by acting like James or Crappy to "fit in." His only responsibility is to be himself, no matter how uncomfortable that might make certain viewers at home. It's unfortunate that in being himself, some people will take him as "the" example of a monolithic gay community instead of realizing he is just an individual.

journal

Nelly as I want to be!

Posted by Estee on 08-24-05 at 10:58 AM
There's a monolithic gay community?

*flashes on image of gay people dancing around a mysterious black stone rectangle, waving batons and blowing kisses at it*

That can't be right.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 08-24-05 at 11:33 AM
What's next? Are you going to reveal our secret handshake too?

journal

Posted by Estee on 08-24-05 at 11:37 AM
Not until The Smoking Gun raises their bid to five digits and takes two of them out from behind the decimal point. Besides, the last time I tried the secret handshake, I couldn't straighten my wrist for a week. :p

Posted by Estee on 08-24-05 at 10:38 AM
Did you know Brandon wrote that manual? I found it on Amazon for $4.99. They pay me.

Posted by J Slice on 08-24-05 at 06:31 PM
Sort-of-interesting story:

A friend and I went to the Survivor: Marquesas finale in Central Park a few years back. We also had tickets for the afterparty. On the way over to the bar, I spotted Brandon... and asked him politely if he could sign my pass. He did. And then took out a smoke... which I lit.

He thanked me kindly and was most amusing at the afterparty.

J Slice - more awesome than you since '84

Posted by LibraRising on 08-25-05 at 11:01 AM
I always thought Brandon was cute and could potentially be charming in person.

Beau? Not so much.

A kyngsladye/IceCat masterpiece.

Posted by J Slice on 08-25-05 at 12:13 PM
You can't be charming if you have all the personality of a deck chair.

J Slice
Actually, those are sort of fun...

Posted by LibraRising on 08-25-05 at 02:05 PM
Besides, I'm missing something essential for Beau to be interested in me.

A kyngsladye/IceCat masterpiece.