URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 774
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"My feelings on Jordin Sparks"

Posted by geekboy on 04-24-07 at 02:36 PM
If you are a regular reader of this board, you will already know that I'm not the biggest Jordin Sparks fan. I will not deny that the girl can sing, but I've always said that there is something about her that bothers me. I believe I may have finally figured it out.

Again, I will be the first to say the girl has the pipes, but ever since her audition, something hasn't sat right with me. Initially, i thought perhaps it was the 'stage parent' syndrome and the fact taht I don't like parents who push a child in a certain direction. Jordin has been on American Juniors, America's Most Talented Kids, a slew of smaller competions, and now Idol. I have no proof that they are pushing her into this, but....its a gut feeling.

But I think what really doesn't sit right with me is how Jordin may not be "right" for Idol in terms of being the winner. When i see Jordin sing, I can't help but picture her as being the perfect recording artist for Disney. To me, she would fit right in with "High School Musical", Hillary Duff, The Cheetah Girls, and all the others that are currently HUGE for Disney. I can't see her really crossing over and having mass appeal for the young and the adult markets.

She has talent. She can sing. But is she truly the best person, and the right style of singer, to be the American Idol?

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: My feelings on Jordin Sparks"
Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 04-25-07 at 02:51 PM
Last week, when she sang "Broken Wing"' I thought she ranked right up there with Melinda. But, last night was definitely not AI caliber. That pitchy, screamy performance was one of her worst. IMO, she wouldn't have the mass appeal among the adult market that Melinda would.

Posted by Glow on 04-25-07 at 03:08 PM
Good gravy. I just typed out this big long post about Jordin and then I deleted it. It was basically this long rambling post about why I don't care about her and it was so long it made it look like I did.

When I believe she cares, I'll care. Until then? I don't.

Posted by finallytyping on 04-26-07 at 01:25 AM
Jordin really got pissy when LaKisha was helping her
dry her tears at the end of the show. Funny...up to that
point I thought LaKisha was the diva. I'm rethinking that
one.

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 04-26-07 at 09:07 AM
Heh, I was wondering if anyone else saw Jordin "snatch" the tissue out of Lakisha's hand. It was a very pronounced "snatch".

Snidget Mommyfied me!

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 04-26-07 at 01:22 PM
Let me add that, having seen how capable Jordin is of giving a hideously overdone performance and getting major pimpage from the judges, I'm afraid that this will only encourages her down that road. If her next performance reflects this, her market will be very limited.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-26-07 at 03:56 PM
There has been something about Jordin that I haven't liked since the beginning. I haven't been overwhelmed with her performances and I finally figured out that I just don't like her attitude. I find her extremely precocious. When I mentioned that to my almost 17-year old son, he said, "I can't stand her. She's too cocky." She is the ultimate diva this year! Will the teeny-boppers buy a CD of hers? I have no idea.

I didn't see the snatch, but I'm not surprised.

Posted by bullzeye on 04-26-07 at 11:58 PM
I didn't see the snatch, but I'm not surprised.

Pardon?

A birthday present from Tribe

Posted by CTgirl on 04-27-07 at 10:06 AM
hee hee, I knew I should have rephrased that!

Posted by Capn2patch on 04-27-07 at 07:45 PM
Watching DWTS bullzeye?

Posted by bullzeye on 04-29-07 at 06:22 PM
No - did I miss something of interest?

A birthday present from Tribe

Posted by agman on 04-29-07 at 05:14 PM
>I didn't see the snatch, but
>I'm not surprised.

Excuse me????????????

90 percent of life is half mental

Posted by geekboy on 04-26-07 at 05:09 PM
Let me just say that I am SO happy there are others that feel the same way as me. I didn't like her after her audition. It was an immediate feeling for me.

My wife happens to disagree with me, as do a few colleagues. I thought it was just me, but i'm glad I made this post.

geekboy

Posted by Corvis on 04-26-07 at 05:47 PM
I like Jordin quite a bit actually. I think she has an amazing amount of talent and incredible control for one so young. She did mess up her last performance, but when you look at all the weeks, she's been consistently good.

"But is she truly the best person, and the right style of singer, to be the American Idol?"

This is an interesting question because the answer is going to be different for most people, I think. My choice every year would be a rocker like Chris Daughtry. (I miss Rock Star...)But what is an American Idol? Can it be someone unique like Blake? Sure, Taylor won. Can it be a belter like Melinda? Sure, Fantasia won. Can it be a pretty young girl like Jordin? Sure, Kelly (who had just turned 20 at the time) won. I think one thing they all have in common is that they can sing and America liked them. A lot.

Posted by singmeasong on 04-26-07 at 07:49 PM
I have always "liked" Jordin. I just have never thought she was the best. Personally, I thought her earlier weeks were better than the last 4 (save one) when the Judges started drooling over her. Each week I ask my wife if I am missing something because I thought they were just O.K. I was laughing so hard when Randy said she had one of the best performances EVER on AI...that was not even on my radar of best performances (not even that night)and she totally blew a couple of notes (IMO). As I sit here typing this I cannot even remember the name of the song...SIMON SIMON I count on you to point out atleast the bad note. Again...she is a very good singer but please judges drop the fluff. I do not always agree with the judges but Jordin's
"the chosen one" pressing by the Judges is really getting old.

Posted by geekboy on 04-26-07 at 10:07 PM
I agree - Randy's statement about it being THE.BEST.PERFORMANCE.ON.IDOL.EVER was insane. Off the top of my head....

* Kelly's "I Surrender" while having a cold/flu/whatever
* Clay's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
* Fantasia's "Summertime" and "I Believe"
* Carrie's "Alone"
* Bo's acapella "In A Dream"
* Taylor's "Something"

Oh well...as I always say, what do we know?

geekboy

Posted by Fishercat on 05-09-07 at 03:56 PM
Personally, I don't even think that were her best performance this season (I preferred "I Who Have Nothing"), nevermind ever.

Posted by tamarama on 04-27-07 at 02:28 PM
It took me until this week to get there, but I'm fully on board with you GB.

Which makes the pimping even MORE infuriating.

Right now I'd rather see Phil or Lakisha win than Jordin or Chris -- only because the judges have become sooooooo much more blatant in their wish for Chris & Jordin to succeed.

I don't like being told what to think. Yes, judges, give us your opinions - and we may be influenced by them - but don't lie or exaggerate hoping we're too dumb to see through it.

Posted by agman on 04-30-07 at 00:19 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-07 AT 00:34 AM (EST)

Geekboy, I know you and I disagreed over Sanjaya, but I think you are spot-on in your assessment of Jordin.............
I really think Jordin is overrated. She looks good with this group but I'm not sure how she would do in a stronger cast. And yes, I agree, there is something about the way she carries herself that puts me off. She just seems to have this attitude. As I said I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly.

90 percent of life is half mental

Posted by finallytyping on 05-09-07 at 01:27 AM
Uh oh, Jordin was caught on camera making an ugly
face again. Amazing how in a mere matter of seconds her
cheshire cat grin magically reappeared. Very well coached.

Posted by Fishercat on 05-09-07 at 04:07 PM
She may just be the most "Idol Trained" contestant ever, which is saying a lot, and that could be a lot of what you all are seeing.

Look at this resume from 2004-2005

Jordin Brianna Sparks

Born: 12/22/89 Phoenix, Arizona

Parents: Phillippi and Jodi Sparks

Sibling: Brother, PJ, age 12

School: Sandra Day O'Conner High School, Phoenix, AZ

Church: Calvary Community Church, Phoenix, AZ

Hobbies and interests: reading, writing, drawing, softball, basketball, acting, singing.

Happiest moments: "Making my first CD and getting my
braces off !"

Awards And Experience

Phoenix Valley Youth Theater 2002:

Parts in The Wiz and Cinderella

Arizona State Fair:

Coca Cola Rising Star 2002

Concert, Wallace and Ladmo Stage, 2003

Mr. Lucky’s Western Club, Glendale, Arizona:

Family Night Talent Show Five-time 1st Place FINALS Winner, 2003

Frequent guest vocalist, 2004

TV Auditions:

Apollo Theater, 2003

CBS - Star Search, 2003

NBC - America's Most Talented Kid, 2003

FOX - American Juniors, 2003

PAX - America’s Most Talented Kids, 2004

National Anthem Soloist:

Arizona State University basketball and baseball games, 2003-2004

Wells Fargo Holiday Invitational Basketball Tournament, 2003

Phoenix Suns basketball game, America West Arena, Phoenix, AZ 2004

Pat Tillman Memorial at Sun Devil Stadium, 2004

Arizona Cardinals football game, Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ 2004

Christian Events:

Hebrew's Coffee Shop, Phoenix, AZ, Christmas Concert, 2003

National Quartet Convention, Louisville, KY, 5th place soloist, 2003

Calvary Community Church, frequent soloist & Easter and Christmas soloist

Frequent soloist for out of state churches, 2003-2004

Pure excrement Youth Rally/Joe White, No. Phoenix Baptist, soloist, 2004

Extreme Faith's Christian Music Showcase, guest soloist, 2004

Tostito's Fiesta Bowl FCA Prayer Breakfast, soloist, Dec. 2004

Coffee Shop Concerts:

It’s A Grind, Glendale, AZ, show

Hebrews Coffee Shop, Phoenix, AZ, show

City Events Featured Soloist:

Glendale Youth Fest 2003: Teen Talent Show, 1st Place

Concert Under the Stars, Phoenix 2003

Scottsdale Lights It Up, July 4 celebration, Rawhide Old West Town, 2003

Glendale’s Ultimate Challenge 2004, Glendale, Arizona

Glendale’s Family Night, 2004

Recordings:

For Now recorded at Rosewood Studios, Tyler, TX, September 2003

Live At Mr. Lucky's, recorded April 2004

Gospel Music Association:

GMA Academy, Washington, D.C., Feb. 2004: Country/Southern Gospel First Place Winner and Overall Spotlight Winner

Music in the Rockies, National Finals Southern Gospel Second Place Winner, Estes Cafe performer, Estes Park, CO, Aug. 2004

Country Thunder USA:

Young Guns Second Place Winner, 2004

Main Stage and Miller Stage performance sets (Backed by J. David Sloan and Western Bred), Country Thunder 2004

TV & Radio:

ABC TV/Good Morning Arizona, soloist and interview, 2004-2005

KMLE Country Radio, Phoenix, AZ, interview with Stu Evans, 2004

Cox Cable TV, Country Thunder program, 2004

AZ FOX News, Dec. 2004

PAX TV/America’s Most Talented Kids (Winner) Jan. 23 & 28, 2005

KFLR, Family Life Radio, with Bruce Thurman, January 2005

Other Special Events:

Proof Is In The Pudding Talent Winner, Cooperstown, Dec. 2004

Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding Show, soloist, Dec. 18, 2004

With all that training and experience up to 2005, you have perhaps the one with the most stage presence ever, at least for someone this young. She had met the judges in a meet-and-greet type of thing prior to the competition. Maybe that's the thing that keeps rubbing off on people: like many of the child-stars on Disney, she was pimped out as a child to this kind of environment...

Posted by geekboy on 05-09-07 at 05:29 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.

You've made my point. At 17, and with a 'resume' like this...it just doesn't sit right with me for a competition like Idol.

Can you say 'stage mom and dad'?

At 17, she should be more interested in learning to drive, getting her first kiss, finishing high school, etc.

Something just hasn't set right with me since her audition. She's got the talent...its just HER that doesn't sit right with me. I know i have a hard time putting it into words, and for that I apologize.

geekboy

Posted by memzoo48 on 05-09-07 at 10:31 PM
>
>Pure excrement Youth Rally/Joe White, No.
>Phoenix Baptist, soloist, 2004
>

Say wha?! Was that a test to see if we'd read the whole thing?

Posted by agman on 05-09-07 at 10:40 PM
IF you read the whole thing then it must have worked
I can't read that much, she gonna have to either put pictures in it, or come out with the movie lol

Posted by jbug on 05-09-07 at 04:22 PM
I think Jordan may be the one to win. I lvoe her voice. She usually does a great job whatever song she chooses.
That's just me tho.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by agman on 05-12-07 at 07:55 PM
I think to make the final, she will have to show that she is head and shoulders more talented and Charismatic than Blake. I'm not sure she can do that.....but I'll be sure and check the archives...(just kidding)

I know everything, except the things I don't know

Posted by jbug on 05-23-07 at 09:59 AM
So I posted a few weeks ago that I thought Jordin will win and I gotta say, I HOPE I'm right.
Blake is OK, but just doesn't have the vocals that Jordin has. What a voice on that girl!
She just seems sorta sweet & innocent now (like I remember Carrie Underwood). I just hope the 'business' doesn't get the best of any of them.

GO JORDIN!

Agman Special

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 05-24-07 at 03:21 PM
Melinda was consistently better than Jordin, but has had far more professional singing experience. While her performances on Idol Gives Back and Bon Jovi Night were overdone and shrieky, Jordin proved herself, on Country Night, far more capable of great singing than Blake.

Posted by jbug on 05-24-07 at 04:01 PM
Hi YankeeDD,
I don't know what a lot of peeps have against Jordin. yes, she's young, but what's wrong with that? She'll learn the "performance" part of the business as she gets into it.

As for Blake? To me, he just had a few too many quirky habits. Like it looked strange to me the way he was always looking over his right shoulder. Guess he was "looking" at the band, but it was odd to me. He'll prolly still do well tho.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
Look at YOU! DAW #200!

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 05-25-07 at 03:01 PM
I found the beat-boxing his most irritating quirk. To the extent that I often had to mute him.

"Singer's reply to Geek..."
Posted by singer on 06-27-07 at 05:37 PM
I think that she is talented, but not more talented than Melinda. I do not believe that she deserved to be in the finals. I do believe that in about 5 years, she can become a great singing star.

--Singer

"RE: Singer's reply to Geek..."
Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 07-20-07 at 03:33 PM
I, too, found Melinda far more talented than Jordin. And, a much more pleasant listening experience. I never had to listen to her with my finger poised over the mute button. But, several times, I had to mute Jordin's shrieky performanced.