URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7716
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"S23 EP2 Boot Discussion"

Posted by Krautboy on 09-19-11 at 00:27 AM
FlowerPower has made a strong argument for the Maypole Challenge to be the EP2 IC. Her vidcap analysis of that challenge appears to have spotted the II at the finish of the puzzle phase, as the Savaii tribe is the first to reach the finish mat.

The editing and previews for this week have focused on Cochran’s redemption and his reinventing himself, while Brandon realizes he must reveal his secret identity.

Since it appears Upolu is going to TC, Brandon will be edited as a target…he was not completely honest with his tribe, and he is a Hantz…two strikes against him.

The Intro footage reveals two future challenges, not yet identified. One of them may be the RC for EP2, but the strength challenge showing Brandon an Albert may be from EP3. The point is, it appears that Brandon may be edited as a target, but ultimately survives the TC vote.

During EP1, Coach talked about the power of a five person alliance. His alliance did not include Christine. He also identified Christine as a threat and labled her as boot number one. She referred to Coach as temporary and vocalized her plan to get rid of him early., She was also was noticed sneaking off looking for the HII. The ground work was laid for her boot in EP2, with Brandon being edited as the boot decoy this week.

Christine leads the list of boot candidates for EP2…

Who else should we consider?

Krautboy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: S23 EP2 Boot Discussion"
Posted by dabo on 09-19-11 at 01:23 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-11 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

While Upolu seems to have a solid 5 alliance, a lot isn't known about some of them yet thanks to the focus early on Coach and Brandon. There are some rifts. Brandon has a self-created distance from Mikayla. Rick isn't impressed with the Dragonslayer eccentricities but does respect that Coach has experience surviving in the wild. Albert is an unrevealed character for the most part, but he is another coach. Edna and Coach connected after the first challenge but she was someow not included in the 5 alliance. While Christine came out right off the bat as having no governor switch on what she says, and separated herself from group effort by obviously hunting for the HII. That leaves

Stacey. The mortician hasn't integrated with the group very well yet from what we've seen, though in her profession it should be expected she has a certain amount of tact in dealing with people under difficult circumstances. Sophie was presented as an unpleasant character, opinionated, and then someone who just missed the clue.

In Savaii group identity was achieved only because Ozzy realized Semhar wasn't politicking as he'd advised her to do, and apparantly used his sway with some people to just make it a unanimous decision that. The rift in Savaii is harder to dissect, but it will eventually come to a confrontation between Jim and Ozzy, as they both have different concepts of what constitutes a strong tribe. And Ozzy is still influenced by wanting the hot girls around despite his previous experience with Amanda and Parvati.

Savaii divides as the 90210 crew and the zeroes, but some of the 90212s aren't yet defined enough, Whitney could yet shift things to the zeroes.

ETA: oops. TY, Pepe.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-19-11 at 05:42 AM

>Sophie. The mortician hasn't integrated
>with the group very well
>yet from what we've seen,
>though in her profession it
>should be expected she has
>a certain amount of tact
>in dealing with people under
>difficult circumstances. Sophie was
>presented as an unpleasant character,
>opinionated, and then someone who
>just missed the clue.

That's Stacey. Sophie is the one who spoke Russian to Coach.

I think Stacey should be our primary boot candidate from Upolu. She was edited as being a clueless player in the premiere with her statement that she wouldn't know what a clue is if she saw it, and then she completely whiffed on it while looking in the exact place where the clue was! We were shown Stacey missing out on this for a reason.

I think Christine's zeal to find the HII was shown for a reason as I'm sure everyone else also searched for it -- she'll find it or play a big role in finding it. Once that is over with, I agree she's not likely long for the game after that, kind of like Kristine in last season.

My early boot prediction: Stacey.

Posted by tribephyl on 09-19-11 at 05:49 AM
I would say we should consider all of those outside of the Dragonslayer 5 as possible boot candidates.

(However, I should note that "alliances revealed do not last" is an EPMB staple... so at least by endgame these 5 should be dissolved. But I still think, for their 1st TC, these 5 will stick together.)

So, as Boot-Targets we have; Edna, Christine, Stacey and Mikayla.

Christine and Mikayla have been verbal targets of Coach and of Brandon. (Beside the Coach VS Brandon rhetoric of this weeks promos. Total red herring, by the way.)
Edna is one of Coach's "fans" and Stacey is seemingly "self-reliant". (My own "", by the way.)

IMO, and in order of boot-potential:
Christine
Mikayla
Stacey
Edna

Posted by Flowerpower on 09-19-11 at 07:27 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Krautboy! I'm seeing eye to eye with Pepe this week. Christine is the number one boot target, as identified by Coach, narrator of Upolu. She spoke her mind and called them "temporary players", and she went off when everyone was building the shelter to look for the HIi, and they all noticed it. Then the next day she had another confessional regarding the HII. Her sole confessionals are wrapped up in the HII.

I believe that she will indeed find it, just like Kristina did. Jiffy told us someone will find it this week. If she finds it, they have to target someone else as well. Stacey, not Sophie , has had 2 confessionals. One said that she's going to be nosey, and the other told us she's non-observant. Bad traits for Survivor. She'll be the other target. If Christine has the idol and plays it, Stacey is toast. If she doesn't play it, Christine is toast. This is the scenario that I am leaning toward.

In response to Tribe, Edna has befriended Coach, when others turned their backs. So she should be okay. Mikayla has been spotted in her bathing suit in one of the future challenges....

Now, theoretically the water challenge as seen in the Intro thread could occur for RC in ep 2. So, we don't know if the shots of Mikayla in her bathing suit are indeed from ep 2. But, I also have to wonder why they would consider letting Brandon direct the boot target when Mikayla is the strongest female on the tribe, and Brandon has disclosed that his last name is Hantz...food for thought.

Posted by Belle Book on 09-19-11 at 08:22 PM
Although Mikayla has been a verbal target of Brandon, Mikayla played a big role in their Immunity Challenge win. Therefore, I think she's more safe than Stacey, though not as safe as Edna.

My ranking of the boot targets (according to boot potential):

Christine (unless she finds the Hidden Immunity Idol),
Stacey (moves up if Christine finds the HII),
Mikayla (Brandon doesn't like her much) &
Edna (a fan of Coach and could get in the alliance).

Posted by Flowerpower on 09-19-11 at 09:50 PM
You know if we suppose that there is only one challenge in Episode 2, then we have vidcap evidence of all of these Survivors lasting beyond episode 2...

Savaii: Ozzy, Dawn, Jim, Keith
Upolu: Brandon, Albert, Mikayla, Sophie

Leaving our boot pool: Coach, Stacey, Christine, Rick, Edna, Papa Bear, Cochran, Elyse, Whitney.

I would dare to say that Coach and Cochran are most likely safe as well. We are down to Stacey, Christine, Rick, Edna, Papa Bear, Elyse, and Whitney.

Posted by Blind Freddy on 09-20-11 at 01:03 AM
Don't forget Whitney's tube sock chal pics...that should make her safe for E2 as well if there is only one chal in E2.

Posted by Flowerpower on 09-20-11 at 06:31 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-11 AT 07:19 AM (EST)

Freddy? Huh? What tube sock challenge pic?

Are you talking about these pics?

I was thinking that one was from the beginning of the maypole challenge. Look at the belts they are wearing, they are all red...I thought those tubes that they untie and put on were at the start of the maypole challenge.

I could be wrong, could they possibly be from an upcoming challenge?

Posted by Blind Freddy on 09-20-11 at 12:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-11 AT 12:50 PM (EST)

Yes FlowerPower those are the Whitney pics I was ref'ing.

Though Whitney is dressed the same/similiar to the Maypole chal, it appears in the Maypole chal that they are already 'belted' up at the start of the chal and in position awaiting JP's "Go". For instance, Whitney has her hands on her hips in one of the Maypole pics w/everyone just standing there in position. So why would Whitney be hurrying to untie a 'belt' in these separate promo pics?

It has been speced elsewhere that maybe the red props are the same as in the Ozzy-Branden body board chal pics. I thought as much at first as well..but not so much now...idunno. Whitney is in 'land chal clothes'/jeans and not a swimsuit.

In any event whether part of the Ozzy-Branden chal or not...they seem to be from a future chal. Unless this is a stage 3 of the Maypole...but that has no other support at this time.

For ref here is the Whitney 'Tube Sock chal' (that's what I'm calling it at the moment) in SloMo. Note that Whitney apparently unties the end of the red sleeve (or 'tubesock' if you will)...(note: loose rope 'ties' are seen) and removes a red prop from a red 'sleeve'.

So I don't think this is part of the Maypole chal(unless as a yet unseen/determined portion/stage3 of the chal). But that's just my best guess at the moment.

Edit to add...Also Whitney has her hair pony-tailed in the Maypole scene and it's untied/free flowing in the 'tubesock' chal...more evidence it's not the same timeframe.

Posted by Flowerpower on 09-20-11 at 02:11 PM
Wow, Freddy, that slow-mo was great. It really shows the setting. I agree, this is not the May Pole challenge, so must be one in the future. Since she is in her full clothing, I can't help but wonder if this could be the RC for ep 2. If it's not, and there is only one challenge in ep 2, then we have footage of IC's for ep 3, 4, and now 5...that's alot for the future!

Thanks

Posted by Krautboy on 09-20-11 at 03:54 PM
Kona's time stamps of the press photos for EP2, suggest a 2-day cycle with the MaypoleChallenge on Day5...in otherwords, it appears that the Challenge this week is combined RC/IC. In that case Upolo appears to be going to TC.

Krautboy

Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 09-19-11 at 11:07 PM
Krautboy,

You covered all of the bases, except ... you forgot to mention that Jiffy has told us in the "Tout.com" video that someone will find the Hidden Immunity Idol.

I'm thinking that that someone will be from Upolo. The only person really searching for it is Christine. I also believe she is first on the Target list with this tribe, and if she doesn't find the Idol, she will indeed be sent packing. If she does find the Idol, than, I'm not sure who it will be.

I'm not sure who is in the Coach 5 Alliance - can anyone help me here?

P.S. I'll have the S.O.T.S. up by tomorrow afternoon, although, everything has really already been given to us in the vidcaps and clues.

Posted by Brownroach on 09-20-11 at 00:10 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-11 AT 00:15 AM (EST)

The ostensible Coach 5 alliance is Coach, Sophie, Rick, Albert and Brandon. That is the group that was seen bonding at camp.

However, Coach also has an ostensible bond with Edna, who was not in that group. So mostly it is Christine, Stacey and Mikayla who are on the fringes at the moment.

"Does someone get idoled?"
Posted by Krautboy on 09-20-11 at 04:53 PM
Last week Christine was edited as a target and logical boot after her comments about the "Temporary Players" and her efforts to sneak away and search for the HII.

This week Jeff told us that someone will find an Idol, so it seems logical to assume that Christine will find the idol and use it to protect herself at TC.

The question is will she keep it hidden or will she reveal it before the vote. Or does she confide in Stacy who then rats her out at TC, resulting in an explosive TC?

If she keeps it hidden, draws all the votes and then votes for someone else, her vote is the only one to count sending someone unexpected to Redemption Island...

We know from future challenge pics that Brandon, Albert, Mikayla and Sophie are safe this week, but Stacy, Coach, Edna and Rick could all become the victim of an Idol bounce if Christine's vote went to them.

I know Stacy seems like the logical boot, but if the Idol comes into play, anything can happen....

Krautboy

"RE: Does someone get idoled?"
Posted by dabo on 09-20-11 at 04:57 PM
Christine's target would have to be Coach, i think, unless she plays smart and targets a challenge liability while playing the redemption card to smooth things over with Coach.

"RE: Does someone get idoled?"
Posted by Brownroach on 09-20-11 at 05:05 PM
I'm not really thinking it's Christine who finds the idol.

I think the business with Christine and the idol was meant to serve Coach's edit. He noted Christine's remark that he was a "temporary player" and saw her looking for the idol and he marked her as his first target. Christine said she didn't think she needed the idol but wanted it anyway.

It would be ironic if someone else on Ulolu found it and Christine got booted this week.

But we should also consider that someone on Savaii might find an idol, since if they win the IC or RC/IC, they will get a clue.

"OR??"
Posted by dabo on 09-20-11 at 10:43 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-11 AT 10:43 PM (EST)

Before the HII is found there is political clout in finding the HII clue. If Brandon were to find the clue -- he is, after all, a Hantz -- and share the clue with Coach, Albert, Sophie and Rick, his Hantz problem becomes a non-issue at least in the short term. Any one of the five finds the clue, keeps it from the Edna, Christine and Stacey, they have zero chance of finding the HII.

"RE: OR??"
Posted by Brownroach on 09-21-11 at 00:29 AM
Well we've been told only that someone finds an idol, not that they found it with a clue. I'm pretty sure it's not Brandon who finds the idol because the blurbs imply he's still going to be on the hot seat at TC --or at the very least it would suggest he didn't share that detail if he did find it.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-21-11 at 02:27 AM
I think someone on Savai'i is likely to find it. Jeff doesn't say use it. Christine would need to use it. (yes, Jeff might not say it even if it happened.)

S will win the challenge and have a clue.

I think maybe the clue is planted after a tribe wins, as a variation on put it in the RC fruit basket? No RC's, instead they sneak a clue into camp before the players return from the challenge.

Because of a lot of teaser action for Upolu, I think this one may be the red tribe, as they don't usually focus on only one tribe. Jeff's TOUT record is still TBD.

Posted by Brownroach on 09-21-11 at 10:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-21-11 AT 11:19 AM (EST)

I thought of that too, they almost always balance the teasers between the tribes, and without the HII teaser there is nothing for Savaii.

They probably put an HII in Savaii's camp already. They don't seem averse to people finding idols without having a clue to go on first, and I get the feeling it's going to be found by accident at some point before the challenge.

Posted by dabo on 09-21-11 at 11:42 AM
>I think maybe the clue is
>planted after a tribe wins,
>as a variation on put
>it in the RC fruit
>basket? No RC's, instead
>they sneak a clue into
>camp before the players return
>from the challenge.

Yes, you're right, that probably is how they do it! That would give someone with good tracking skills an edge in finding the clue once the tribe is back home, looking for signs of recent disturbance. But they need to get at it quickly before the whole area gets tramped over by the rest of the tribe. Rick, Brandon and Coach may have those skills but missed their opportunity. Will Ozzy and Papa Bear grab the window of opportunity?

"Boot candidates"
Posted by Flowerpower on 09-21-11 at 08:54 AM
Well, now that we know that Savaii is winning the combined RC/IC (thanks to the press image time stamps we know it is one challenge) we can really narrow down the candidates.

With vidcap evidence from future challenges/episodes of Brandon, Sophie, Mikayla and Albert that leaves Coach, Rick, Edna, Christine, Stacey.

Of those that aren't seen in the future, Coach and Rick SHOULD be safe as they are in the Stargazer 5 alliance. But, let's make a case for each of them as well. Coach: Edited as in trouble with his tribe right out of the gait. Needed to really woo them and he was shown doing just that. Shown helping Rick, Brandon, Edna, etc. Edna and Sophie told us he had experience and that he was great in guiding them in building the shelter. He was quoted as wanting to win every challenge, and they did. Shown hugging Rick after the chopping portion. Jiffy notes in the promo, "Coach's tribe won". I'd say Coach is sitting pretty. He's in an alliance built on day 1 with 5 strong, the majority. The ONLY way he leaves is if he's idolled out. Don't see it happening. Risk: Minimal

Rick: Rick also had a very positive edit in the first ep. He was heard in the first confessionals. Then again in the beginning mocking the Dragon Slayer. But, later we see him bonding with Coach while building the shelter, forming an alliance, and then in the challenge. So, despite his first impression, he's bonding with Coach. He was not bossy, lazy, or obnoxious. He showed that he is a strong competitor in the challenges, he proved his challenge worth. Someone pointed out that he was shown in the challenge directing from atop the crates...but here is Albert shown directing from atop as well...

Clearly, he proved his challenge worth last week, and he's in the Stargazer 5 alliance. I'd say the only way Rick is going is if he's idolled out as well. Risk: Minimal

Edna: Edited to be a Coach sympathizer. Waited for him when his entire tribe turned their backs. Confessional about how well Coach did "coaching" them in building the shelter. Seen with Coach in the preview promo when talking to Brandon. Risk: should be safe. See no reason for her to get idolled.

That brings us to Christine and Stacey.

Christine: Opened her mouth right at the beginning and pegged the returnees as "temporary players". She has alienated Coach, one of her tribemates, immediately, which marks her as a target by him. Then she seemed the most brazen when they got to the camp, directing conversation away from Coach...seems like an alpha female type to me, so far. Then, when all of your tribe mates are working on the shelter, you go off and hunt for the idol, and everyone notices and talks about it. That's a great way to alienate yourself from all of the others.

She had 2 confessionals and they were wrapped up in the idol. Could mean that she is the most likely to find the idol, and that is her story, OR, it could just emphasize the fact that she is not a team player, she can't hold her tongue, and she's insecure and overly aggressive. She is NOT in the stargazer 5 alliance. She can't hold her tongue, and she appears to NOT be a team player. Coach identified her as target number one. Krautboy is right, episode one laid the ground work for her boot in episode 2.

The misdirection clue states, The discovery of an Immunity Idol gives one castaway an early advantage in the game. So whoever finds the idol will live to see another episode, most likely. Someone noted that since the Savaii's are going to win the challenge, they will receive a clue, albeit the clue is that there is a hidden clue at your camp. Really anyone could indeed find the idol at either of the camps. Christine's only story may be what we've already been shown, that she was desperate to find the idol, even at the point of alienating herself from the rest of her tribe.

Risk: Most at risk

Stacey: By process of elimination, Stacey has to be considered. She is not in the Stargazer 5 alliance. She's on the wrong side of the numbers. The editing in the first episode was very negative. She got a first confessional, this may have been so the audience could get to know her a bit before her exit. Her second confessional noted that she probably couldn't find the HII if it was right in front of her, and yes, that's what happened. Another very negative edit, she's not observant. Doesn't bode well for her longevity in the show.

While Christine has been labeled as target number one, if Christine were to find the idol, and the others suspected, than someone would have to be the secondary target. We know it wouldn't be Mikayla (she's seen in the future), it most likely wouldn't be Edna, that leaves Stacey. IF Stacey is our boot, then it's because she is the secondary target when they suspect that Christine has the idol, AND Christine plays it. Risk: At risk

The choice of boot candidate will come down to one thing. Do you believe that Christine finds the idol or not?

By the end of the challenge, EVERYONE will have the clue....that a HII clue is hidden at your camp somewhere. So Christine has a 1/9 shot at finding it. And, she could feasibly just stumble onto the HII itself, and bypass the clue as well. She is the one that go the HII confessionals in ep 1. It is a logical jump to think she will be the one that finds it.

OTOH, she was the one that spoke out against Coach in front of them and everyone. That is reason enough to target her, when you are Coach. She got the idol confessionals because that was the story, she chose to go off and look for them in a way that created attention on herself. The confessionals could be her story, she didn't think she needed it, but why not look. Could turn out ironic, because she DID need it.

I think it is a logical choice to go with either Christine or Stacey as the boot candidate for ep 2.

"RE: Boot candidates"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-21-11 at 06:11 PM
I love this analysis, FP, I am behind you on the boot candidates now. Sure seems to repeat 22 where Francesca and Kristina became immediate outcasts by opposing the returning player. Boring pattern.

I am not so sure about this:

Someone noted that since the Savaii's are going to win the challenge, they will receive a clue, albeit the clue is that there is a hidden clue at your camp.

As I said above, I don't think the clues are all pre-buried. The idols are pre-hidden, but the clues will arrive with each challenge win, and each clue will be more specific than the last, as in prior seasons.

The clue is meant to be not terribly hard to find, but they have probably tried to hide the idols better than that, such that the clue is genuinely helpful.

Remember how hard it was for Kelly and Alina to find the idol in 21, even with clue, and it took Dr. Jill to find the Espada idol with the clue.

btw, the way Brenda found the HII that Na Onka took was she watched where there were cameramen stationed and knew they were waiting to get the "finding" shot. That's how she found the Medallion of Power as well.