URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 755
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What about Gina she is my new fave"

Posted by rotkapchen on 03-28-07 at 02:32 PM
I do not see any threads for Gina so thought I would start one. Hate this board though you never know when you will get locked. I personally find it a bit annoying about this board. However, I digress....

Gina was so great last night. This is the first time I have ever followed AI. Just nothing else better on TV right now, so therefore I watch this show.

I would like to see some chat about Gina. After last night if she keeps it up, I think she might have a shot.

opinions anyone?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What about Gina she is my new fave"
Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 03-28-07 at 02:46 PM
First of all I hate that this is the first year you are watching AI cause its a craptastic season. Should have tuned in last year...it rocked.

Second, easy enough not to get locked...just read the rules and follow them. Simple!

Third, in this ho-hum bunch Gina is one of my top peeps. (I'm not gonna save favs because that would infer that I actually care about these people this year, which I don't.) She's not a diva and that puts her up ahead of others in my book.

Stick around and have fun!

A Tribe Original!

Posted by bob_chester on 03-28-07 at 02:56 PM
Last year was so boring, this group is much more interesting IMHO. Gina is a babe

"RE: What about Gina she is my new fave - thanks"
Posted by rotkapchen on 03-28-07 at 03:03 PM
Thank you for the nice comments. I am not sure why this show never interested me before and now it does. At least it gives me something to talk to my niece about, she loves it but she is in the right age group.

She is smarter than all those other 13 year olds, she said she does not like Sanjaya!

Posted by bob_chester on 03-28-07 at 02:54 PM
I wit you she is hot.

Posted by FlowerChild on 03-28-07 at 03:06 PM
I really like Gina too...she's high on my list....and darn it if her performance wasn't the one performance I missed last night!! I'll have to search for a clip....

i hate it when my threads get locked. my thread wasn't a duplicate. so whatever.

Posted by priestdi on 03-28-07 at 03:50 PM
yeah I'm with you. she got 10 pts in my book just for singing Chrissie.

and I also agree about the locked threads -- at least in some cases.

I'm still upset, on some level, about a thread I made last year on a subject I cared deeply about. it was locked, and when I protested I got a stern warning about respecting the mods.

I do respect the mods. I am one myself, elsewhere.

I can't even remember the specifics of the thread, but it had something to do with a behind-the-scenes injustice that had been done to somebody -- Constantine I think. I guess that I was supposed to talk about on some pre-existing Con thread? or maybe the thread about that episode? But I was upset about the underlying principles, about the ethics of the producers and the way they run the show. And I wanted to spark a discussion about that.

Golly, watch me type. lol. It guess it really did upset me.

All that said, I think this one is safe! It's the first for Gina, right?

And thanks for making it.

Posted by priestdi on 03-28-07 at 04:37 PM
well since I just realized I've been "warned" on another thread for more bad behavior, I'm now paranoid that I'll be banned for expressing this last opinion as well.

I had no idea, when I wrote this, that I'd meanwhile had my first warning of the new season already on record.

so my apologies if I inadvertantly offended anyone.

Posted by AyaK on 03-28-07 at 05:04 PM
Apology accepted. The warning doesn't go away, though. Now please stay on topic...

Posted by Snidget on 03-28-07 at 04:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-07 AT 04:57 PM (EST)

*looks down*

I've been loving Gina for awhile. Glad to have you aboard.

*points up*
the underlined words "complete guidelines" up at the top in the fine print are your friends. Read them, love them.

Post enough and you'll eventually start a duplicate thread. I'm guilty of it a time or two myself.

You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Back to Gina.

I love that she isn't just just another Diva. This season there are too many that are the same for me so anyone that stands out from the crowd a bit (in a good way) is getting my support.

"I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!" Tom Lehrer

Posted by dragonflies on 03-29-07 at 07:17 AM
Welcome rotkapchen! You'll soon find this is a fun place to hang around in, and that those guidelines everyone mentions up at the top of the page are here for a reason.

Include me in the "I like Gina" camp. She is fresh, different and much more contemporary than the divas. Is she the best singer, no, but I like her anyway. although not as much as Blake

Posted by Wasabi on 03-29-07 at 07:58 AM
Acknowledging Melinda's and Lakisha's superior vocal abilities, I find myself rooting more each week for Gina and Jordin. Do I think Gina can win it – no, but I do hope she outlasts most of the guys and Haley. For her to do well in this competition, she needs to pick softer songs and add rocker's edge to them. If my memory doesn't fail me, Constantine and Chris were voted off after their hard-rock performances that don't have a more general appeal. So, props to Gina and I hope she stays within the realm of this week's performance as I thought it was the best performance of the night.

Posted by bullzeye on 03-29-07 at 08:20 AM
I have liked Gina since the auditions, when it was revealed that she made it as far as the Hollywood round last season, but did not make the cut.

I really like the fact (as others have pointed out), that she stands out from the rest with a unique style and "go for it" attitude. I also like the fact that she seems to genuinely listen to advice and adjust accordingly. Others who will remain unmentioned, are coasting (and becoming a bit of a bore), while she seems to grow with each performance. And, with all the distactions going on (Sanjaya), that says a lot.

Posted by LisaPles on 03-29-07 at 12:00 PM
Gina blew me away Tuesday night. I was so happy for her that she had her moment on stage when it all came together.
I was so excited that the crowd went nuts for her! She nailed it!

Posted by mistyrose52 on 03-30-07 at 08:47 AM
Yes, indeed! Gina is growing fast and furiously!! I'm starting to split my meager votes between her and Jordin-love them both, and really do think either of them could make it to the finals!!

I think America may just get tired of hearing all the 'diva talk', epecially from Randy, who makes it known that the others are just drivvel, in his opinion.

Gina, if you see this-ROCK ON, CHICKEE-YOU ARE ON FIRE!!!

Posted by JohnMc on 04-06-07 at 12:09 PM
I just want to say that I will miss Gina. I would have put her going out at somewhere between 4 and 6, not 9!

She's also unique - I love the whole rocker chick thing she has.

I hope she gets a record deal or some additional exposure. I think she can add to her edge (but not in an Antonella Barba way) and really get more mileage out of her image. Maybe like a Pat Benetar meets Pink kind of way.

Good luck, Gina!!!

I wish I had voted for you this week, but I was out Tuesday night. I voted for you last week, though!

Posted by agman on 04-06-07 at 12:30 PM
With Gina gone, I have less an less to look forward to. She was my favorite in the group. While I never thought she would win, I liked her style and she was fun to watch. There's no one like her left.
A snidget original

Posted by bullzeye on 04-06-07 at 12:39 PM
I am already on record as to my disappointment that Gina was voted off, especially with the likes of Phil, Haley and Sanjaya still around.

That said, I was quite disappointed with her performance on Tuesday. She moved away from her normal style and I found it quite boring. I think if she would have stuck to her rocker roots, she would have gone further.

A birthday present from Tribe

Posted by agman on 04-06-07 at 01:08 PM

>
>That said, I was quite disappointed
>with her performance on Tuesday.
>She moved away from her
>normal style and I found
>it quite boring. I
>think if she would have
>stuck to her rocker roots,
>she would have gone further.
>Although I'm not sure which song she could have sung on Tony Bennet week that would have lent itself to her rocker style. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with his songs. Your'e right though, It wasn't the same Gina on Tuesday.
>

A snidget original

Posted by Snidget on 04-06-07 at 03:00 PM
I dunno what of the songs available would be good for rocking out to.

It can be tough to know when to do something really different so you aren't boring and when to make it your style the best you can to please the fan base.

I think people just didn't want controlled from Gina. I think people liked her best when she was a bit out of control.

I think had she done the same song with some "rocker irony" styling to it even that song would have worked. Other girls could do it as vulnerable, but I think for her, with her fan base that may not have been the best way to go.

Heck even if it had been more fully emotional like it was on Wednesday night it might have been enough to keep her in.

"I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top."
- An English Professor

Posted by Crazie on 04-06-07 at 08:18 PM
I"m going to get a lot of hisses for this, but I didn't/don't like Gina. I'm glad that she is gone. The reason for not liking her was not because she doesn't have talent (she does), but because she is a snob. She is full of herself, and from the way she acted towards other girls during Hollywood week. I gathered her to be a very unkind person.

Posted by priestdi on 04-06-07 at 08:30 PM

but that doesn't fit with how upset the others were when she was kicked this week.

I learned seasons ago to not trust the way the editing depicts people in the hollywood rounds.

they totally ruined Kimberly Caldwell's chances in season 2 by making her look like a ##### to Julia in Hollywood.

Posted by priestdi on 04-06-07 at 08:31 PM
oh for g**'s sake.

that obscenity was bi#ch.

Posted by Crazie on 04-06-07 at 08:40 PM
>
>but that doesn't fit with how
>upset the others were when
>she was kicked this week.
>
>
>I learned seasons ago to not
>trust the way the editing
>depicts people in the hollywood
>rounds.
>
>they totally ruined Kimberly Caldwell's chances
>in season 2 by making
>her look like a #####
>to Julia in Hollywood.

well yeah I understand how the fans could be disappointed. I'm sorry that their idol didn't make it. As for the editing. The editors didn't put the words in Gina's mouth. Gina did. Editors just caught it on tape.

Posted by agman on 04-06-07 at 09:08 PM

>well yeah I understand how the
>fans could be disappointed. I'm
>sorry that their idol didn't
>make it. As for the
>editing. The editors didn't put
>the words in Gina's mouth.
>Gina did. Editors just caught
>it on tape.
What did she say? I missed alot of the Hollywood part of the show so I missed some of that. One thing I have found on this board is that it doesn't matter who you like or dislike on the show, someone will disagree. I was taken to school because I made the comment about disliking Sanjaya! I happen to like Gina but not everybody does(My wife can't stand her!) Welcome to the boards Crazie!

A snidget original

Posted by Crazie on 04-06-07 at 09:29 PM
>
>>well yeah I understand how the
>>fans could be disappointed. I'm
>>sorry that their idol didn't
>>make it. As for the
>>editing. The editors didn't put
>>the words in Gina's mouth.
>>Gina did. Editors just caught
>>it on tape.
>What did she say? I
>missed alot of the Hollywood
>part of the show so
>I missed some of that.
> One thing I have
>found on this board is
>that it doesn't matter who
>you like or dislike on
>the show, someone will disagree.
> I was taken to
>school because I made the
>comment about disliking Sanjaya!
>I happen to like Gina
>but not everybody does(My wife
>can't stand her!) Welcome to
>the boards Crazie!
>
>
> A snidget
>original

Well when they seperated into the group thing. There was a girl from Colombia that had made it and there was kind of a language barrier problem going on, and Gina just acted like a wench and said some mean hateful comments. I dunno her whole persona just came off really not appealing to me. Yeah I understand that. If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. I will never degrade anyone for liking someone though. I will however state my opinion in a tactful manner. Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

Posted by agman on 04-06-07 at 09:40 PM
>
>
>Well when they seperated into the
>group thing. There was a
>girl from Colombia that had
>made it and there was
>kind of a language barrier
>problem going on, and Gina
>just acted like a wench
>and said some mean hateful
>comments. I dunno her whole
>persona just came off really
>not appealing to me. Yeah
>I understand that. If we
>all liked the same things
>it would be a boring
>world. I will never degrade
>anyone for liking someone though.
>I will however state my
>opinion in a tactful manner.
>Thanks for the welcome. I'm
>glad to be here.

Maybe I'm glad I didn't see it. I think that would have put me off a bit too.

A snidget original

Posted by priestdi on 04-07-07 at 03:44 PM

wow, I totally don't remember that.

it would have put me off too, if I'd interpreted it the same way.

if there were an easy to find that on-line somewhere (and we know it's probably out there somewhere!) I'd like to see it.

Posted by priestdi on 04-07-07 at 06:02 PM
I really am trying to find this. I struck out on YouTube, now I'm looking for written accounts.

it was Perla, I guess?

"Meanwhile, Gina Glocksen (aka Callie O'Malley) is stuck with Perla in her group. Tempers flare because Perla has limited singing range. And her bubbly personality doesn't help her when she sings off-key."

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/02/14/american-idol-hollywood-round/

then part of a very very very long blog on the episode:

"Midnight, they head to the hotel for the total social breakdown that makes Hollywood so much fun. Another group is Gina, Perla, and girls named Melissa and Jessica, one of whom is the lonelygirl one. Gina complains that "one of us" isn't as talented as the others with harmonies, and that bothers her, and we see her trying to teach Perla the basics of music. Gina Don't Lie, dog. I know she comes off a little harsh, but I've liked her since last year, and I always like the harsh professional girl every year on group night, so I'm fine with all of this. "

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/articles/content/a12827/index-7.html

oh and then this is a continuation, from the same blog, on the next page ....

"0330, Gina and her group trying to get Perla together. At some point I think Perla suggests that they switch songs, and lonelygirl15 almost spits on her. She's like, "I have it down! Lyrics, harmonies, choreography! The only reason I am awake is because you are an idiot!" Perla is not feeling this, doesn't understand that she's the problem, because that's how you end up with a Perla: the ongoing feeling that she's not the problem, when in fact most of the time I imagine that she is. It's a vicious cycle. Gina's like, "Perla. When we all stop and stare at you, you get mad. When you ask for help or to tell you when you're off, we try, and you get mad. You are full of #####, sweetheart, and I'm at a loss." Perla denies, denies, denies. She's like literally too dumb to even have this simple conversation. Gina finally just laughs into the camera: "We're not...going to be friends, after tomorrow." I was over Perla about a minute after the first time I saw her, so congratulations on getting up to speed, Gina."

And then go here to read the long recounting of the actual group performance. I'd totally forgotten about all this.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/articles/content/a12827/index-9.html

this is the punchline:

"Perla does her level best to, I guess, screw up the harmonies as horribly as possible. Why not just tell her to stay quiet on those parts? Anyway, Simon detects that she is the problem and tells her she's the only one of the four that is going home today."

"I'd forgotten about that..."
Posted by udg on 04-07-07 at 11:42 PM
Honestly, it didn't come across to me as Gina being mean so much as Gina being down to business, and after several hours of practice and the entire group trying to help one person get with the program, everyone getting frustrated with Perla.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"RE: I'd forgotten about that..."
Posted by Crazie on 04-11-07 at 06:43 PM
>Honestly, it didn't come across to
>me as Gina being mean
>so much as Gina being
>down to business, and after
>several hours of practice and
>the entire group trying to
>help one person get with
>the program, everyone getting frustrated
>with Perla.
>
>
>Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop
>Shop 2004

>

I see what your saying, but being business minded is also using tact to get a point across. What Gina chose to do in problem solving is a quick way to chaos.

"RE: I'd forgotten about that..."
Posted by udg on 04-11-07 at 08:18 PM
You can only say something "nicely" to an obtuse person so many times before "being nice" becomes foolish.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"gina on leno"
Posted by priestdi on 04-07-07 at 04:38 PM

cute. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ly-Pb85_iA

"RE: gina on leno"
Posted by sharnina on 04-08-07 at 09:45 PM
That? was funny.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose. Must See TV

"RE: gina on leno"
Posted by agman on 04-09-07 at 03:56 PM
That was cool. LMAO