URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7540
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"EP10 Vidcaps ***Spoiler Free Zone***"

Posted by Krautboy on 11-11-10 at 04:16 AM
***Attention: This discussion thread is a “SPOILER-FREE ZONE” ! ***

Please limit your discussion to observations made about the events depicted in the Vidcaps and your analysis of those observations. Feel free to include speculation of how the outcome of those events might affect this week’s episode, if those conclusions can be drawn from the vidcap analysis, but refrain from speculating about future events, not depicted in these vidcaps.

This is an experiment to see if the Vidcap Thread can function as a common ground where the Unspoiled and Spoiled can co-habitate in the Spoiler Forum.

Thanks for your cooperation and courtesy!

Here are this weeks promo vidcaps, coutesy of Survivor Fever:

Transcript:

Jeff Probst: Next time on Survivor...

Benry: Oh my God, this is unfreakingbelievable.

Holly: Words can't explain, I don't know what to say...

Chase: I don't know what to say.

Benry: Oh my God.

Holly: Oh my God, you guys, I'm going to cry.

Benry : This is the day from hell.

Krautboy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: EP10 Vidcaps ***Spoiler Free Zone***"
Posted by kiki_k on 11-11-10 at 04:42 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 04:44 AM (EST)

Well, I'll put my toe in first, since I unintentionally caused the brouhaha in last week's vidcap thread.

These vidcaps tell us almost nothing -- doesn't seem to be a RC or an IC challenge. Obviously, the only thing we can get from them is something bad & unexpected happens or it wouldn't be being described as "unfreakingbelievable" and "the day from hell."

That's all I got.

eta: obviously, that's not all I got. I do think there is a mistake in the transcript. It has Chase saying "I don't know what to say." But I don't see Chase in the vidcaps. Was it a voice over by him, or are you sure it wasn't Benry saying it?

Posted by Brownroach on 11-11-10 at 12:07 PM
I assume SFever labeled who is saying what, but yes the attribution to Chase looks likely to be an error.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-11-10 at 04:46 AM
A few observations to get things started...

Everyone is wearing their buffs in these shots and have a strap over their shoulders...is that their water bottle strap?

They appear to be looking down at the ground at whatever is so upsetting to them.

Those seen in the vidcaps include Benry, Brenda, Holly, Sash and Dan. Not seen are Jud, NaOnka, Jane, Chase, and Kelly S.

Krautboy

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-11-10 at 08:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 08:55 AM (EST)

Well, you are right in that it doesn't give us much to go on. But, there is one thing that we can speculate and it works well this week because there are very few survivors seen. Can we deduce that one of them is our boot, and maybe even the boot decoy a la the OFG Theory? Really we see only 5 survivors....Holly, Brenda, Benry, Sash, and Dan. That's a good head start.

As to what they could be reacting to. Clearly, something horrible has happened. I suspect they most likely have some camp drama, as they had in Australia when the water flooded their camp. Perhaps when they return their camp is in ruins and their food is all gone....rising surf, rain storm, howler monkey ravages it, bear ravages it, NaOnka ravages it?

Or, they come across some kind of dead or dying animal?

ETA: Perhaps there are only 5 of them because the rest of the tribe has gone and won reward? We could possibly be seeing the losing group returning after the RC. Just a thought?

Posted by Corvis on 11-11-10 at 10:09 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-10 AT 10:33 AM (EST)

I had the same thought that these are the losers of the reward challenge.

My guess is their camp has been destroyed - perhaps by a storm? Was there a lot of rain during these three days? I know someone who used to check into that sort of thing, but I can't remember if she ever spoiled at Blows!

One thing I think we can rule out is that anyone is hurt. No one is acting like someone is hurt - i.e. getting down on the ground to see if they can help. They all look to be very helpless and overwhelmed with what has happened.

Hopefully, we'll get some challenge vidcaps in other promos.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-11-10 at 10:23 AM
I'm glad I haven't followed all the spoilers this season .

Just a quick thought, though--if it were a storm or a flood, shouldn't they be wet? I doubt the challenge area would be that far away from camp to not be affected by a storm strong enough to destroy their camp.

Posted by Corvis on 11-11-10 at 10:56 AM
Good point!

Perhaps FloPo's idea above about the camp being ravaged by animals (or Naonka...) is correct.

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-11-10 at 11:11 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 11:14 AM (EST)

if it were a storm or a flood, shouldn't they be wet?

Well, actually, not necessarily....they are in the rain forest, and how many times in a flash storm does it pour in one spot and less than a mile away it doesn't rain a drop? So, I don't necessarily think they need to be wet. Or, the flooding could have been due to high tidal waters. Perhaps this is a very wet three day cycle and it all adds up to a really high tide. Remember, the first night Alina was at Ponderosa she noted how heavy the rains were and that it was early in the day and looked like it was going to rain all day. And, I do recall that Jeff Probst noted that it was the rainy season in Guatemala....so, food for thought...

ETA:

Benry's confessional here is in front of water....you can clearly see it in the background. This makes me really believe the catastrophe is because of flooding and their camp is no longer. They will have to start from scratch, most likely.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-11-10 at 11:43 AM
Doesn't the water in the background looks alot like the spot where Jane does her fishing? Isn't that right near their camp?

Benry is no longer wearing his buff, so this is probably a little later after he returns to camp an is interviewed about whatever it is that happened.

Krautboy

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-11-10 at 11:58 AM
Yes, I think you are right, KB. It does look like where Jane does her fishing. Definitely, it is later when he is giving his confessional. And he's still very disturbed...

Posted by samboohoo on 11-11-10 at 12:40 PM
I just saw Alina's Ponderosa clip where she talked about the rain. I noted to myself that there was no mention of rain at all in last night's episode, post Alina's boot. Sometimes they often show us the storms, the rains, etc.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"Returning to camp?"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-11-10 at 12:21 PM

From EP9 Promo

From Ep10 Promo

The background vegetation looks very similiar in these two vidcaps. So we might conclude that both shots are taken at their camp...or should we conclude that the same vegetation is pervasive in that area?

Krautboy

"RE: Returning to camp?"
Posted by dabo on 11-11-10 at 12:36 PM
Yes. Camp Espada/Camp Hell, the worst things happen there. The vegetation is adapted to endure the weather disaters of an unstable location; deep roots, creepers, etc.

Posted by vince3 on 11-11-10 at 12:40 PM
Question: At this camp, were all of the branches bare earlier in the season? If not, and the Survivors didn't do it themselves... maybe whatever caused them to go bare happened to the camp?

Posted by dabo on 11-11-10 at 01:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

Interesting question. It was runoff. A lot of rain upland means a lot of water trying to make it down to the sea. That disaster could have undermined some areas created a time delayed potential for sinkholes and groundslides.

The effect on the vegetation would be what? We can't discount the effect of the survivors sourcing the area for food and material, or of later weather on that site (rains, winds) also having an impact.

Posted by Booted on 11-11-10 at 04:49 PM
We have never seen where animals come into camp and destroy things. Maybe it was destroyed by animals.

I agree that this is the losing group from the reward.

Boot Ed

Posted by Travelor on 11-11-10 at 05:11 PM
In talking about the vegetation, in the top several photos of this post it appears that most of the trees are bare except for a few bits of greenery here and there. However, in the picture with Benry there is a lot of greenery.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-11-10 at 05:29 PM
The Benry pic is apparently during a confessional, which is probably away from camp to protect his privacy during the interview...

Krautboy

Posted by Corvis on 11-11-10 at 05:40 PM
I think Benry is kind of key in figuring this out. I re-watched the promo. He almost seems guilty in the video, with his hands running through his hair and then covering his face. Like he did something wrong. Could he have screwed up with the fire? He was supposed to put it out before the challenge, but he didn't and it got away from the fire pit and burned the shelter or something?

Wasn't there a season a long time ago (Amazon with Crazy Matthew?) where someone burned down part of the camp? Or am I just making that up? All of these seasons tend to run together...

Posted by michel on 11-11-10 at 06:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 07:00 PM (EST)

Amazon yes, but it was Butch, not Matt, who had gathered a lot of firewood and put it next to the shelter.
http://www.averdata.net/~locbaseb/funny/21.htm

If it was a fire, they wouldn't be looking so intently at the ground; the whole structure would be destroyed. I think something happened to their supplies. Flood? Howler Monkeys? That would be funny considering the Survivors went to find the monkeys' food.

The main thing this tells us is who loses reward. Jud, Chase, and Jane being together at reward would not be good for Sash and Brenda. Chase and Jane will certainly ask Jud what happened with the vote. Nay and Kelly could also help compare notes.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-11-10 at 07:02 PM
It was Butch in Amazon. I forget exactly how he did it but the fire caused extensive damage. It was late in the game, when there were only maybe five still in it.

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:22 AM
He stored firewood under the shelter to keep it dry. It was too close to the fire and when everyone was away for a challenge, the campfire caught the wood and then the shelter on fire.

At least, that's what I remember.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by mimo on 11-11-10 at 07:14 PM
it almost looks like benry is going to get physically sick in one of those pictures. and is holly meant to be looking at benry? why so much focus on benry?

Posted by beaglemaster on 11-11-10 at 07:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 07:46 PM (EST)

I played it over several times and just after Holly says "I think I'm going to cry" Benry says" I didn't...oh...Oh My God"
That "I didn't" Sounded to me like whatever happened, Benry felt responsable in some way. Like "I didn't mean for this to happen, I'm soooo sorry." or "I didn't think it would turn out to be this bad, we all make mistakes."

Posted by beaglemaster on 11-11-10 at 08:06 PM
I also noticed everyone seem to be looking at one central location on the ground except Brenda raises her eyes to look off past whatever is on the ground to something at eye level. Just at the end you see Ben's turns his gaze kind of scanning the ground to his right and left.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-11-10 at 10:07 PM
The clues for this week are out and CBS spoils itself on what happens. I won't mention it here in case people still want to try to figure it out based on these vidcaps. See the Clues thread if you want to know. (The web promo will probably show it, now that the CBS Clues have spilled the beans.)

"CBS Clues?"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-12-10 at 00:07 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-10 AT 00:08 AM (EST)

Squid: I haven't seen the CBS clues yet, but if CBS spoils it and it's in the public domain, it's fair game to mention hin this thread.

After all we are still trying to spoil the show, but in this thread we're trying to do it without sourced spoilers. CBS clues are fair game for both the spoiled and unspoiled.

What does CBS say?

Krautboy

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-11-10 at 10:54 PM
P.S. Beaglemaster, great catch on the 3 keys in last week's challenge!

"CBS Clues"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-12-10 at 00:13 AM
Corvis: Great speculation...CBS seems to confirm your theory:

"Stuck in the Middle" — The tribe suffers a devastating blow when they find the camp in ashes after a fire, and the loyalty of an alliance is put to the test as Libertad heads to tribal council, on SURVIVOR: NICARAGUA, Wednesday, Nov. 17 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Krautboy

"RE: CBS Clues"
Posted by Flowerpower on 11-12-10 at 08:34 AM
WoooHooooo Corvis! Good job!

Poor Benry....now, will the tribe hold it against him?

Posted by michel on 11-12-10 at 08:45 AM
Way to go Corvis.
Will we get the same build-up that led to Butch burning the Jacaré shelter? This season really needs some laughs.

Posted by Corvis on 11-12-10 at 10:10 AM
Well, look at that! Heh.

That was fun. Thanks for starting this thread, Krautboy.

Posted by michel on 11-13-10 at 07:02 PM
Looking at the episode again, maybe they did some build-up to the fire:

Is Brenda the one that puts too much firewood next to the shelter?

I also saw a shot of Kelly lying on the ground next to the fire so it could be that she asks for the fire to be placed closer to the shelter so that they wouldn't be so cold at night.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-13-10 at 10:42 PM
If those big treasure chests get anywhere near the fire, they're toast! I'm surprised the full web promo isn't up yet -- isn't it usually posted by now?

"5 sec promo/fire shots "
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-13-10 at 11:19 PM
Looks like the full web promo still isn't available yet, but here are some fire shots that Survivor Fever has posted. They're labeled as being from a 5-sec promo. Thanks SF!

-----------

Hard to tell for sure from the angle, but from the last couple vidcaps it appear that the fire is getting really really close to the shelter. If they just lose the chests and their contents (and whatever was immediately around the campfire) that would be bad enough, but if they lose part/all of their shelter, that would be awful. A few questions that come to mind:

- I'm wondering if someone who knows how to do timestamps could help us figure out the timing of the "fire raging" vidcaps vs. the timing of Brenda, Holly, etc. coming back to find the damage. At least if they catch the fire at this point, it looks like they could save some/all of the shelter...but if they come back significantly later, a lot more damage might be done vs. what we see here.

- Those 2 big chests were from the merge feast, right? Or was it a prior La Flor reward? Regardless, looks like whatever food, spices, etc. that were inside are going to be ruined. (Nay will really go bonkers if her flour and tortillas are toast!)

- Will whoever was on "fire duty" be blamed? And I wonder if this will warrant an emergency visit from Jeff to camp? I don't recall what happened the last time there was a fire/flood.

- Does tarp burn? Certainly clothing items would, right?

- The big bucket thing with the fire wood doesn't appear to have caught fire yet, so maybe it will be contained? And isn't that red cube thing from the last IC/memory challenge? What's it doing there? Maybe Brenda got to keep it as a memento since she won?

Hopefully the full web promo will be up soon to give us more to work with, but still enough to chew on for now!

"RE: 5 sec promo/fire shots "
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-13-10 at 11:28 PM
P.S. So comparing these new promo shots with the vidcaps Michel posted above of the chests by the tree, it does appear that the chests were moved away from the tree and closer to shelter/fire. (Harder to tell if the campfire itself was moved or not.)

Posted by kiki_k on 11-13-10 at 11:42 PM
Some answers:

Tarp can def. burn -- it is just treated fabric -- usually with polyethylene (like plastic) or vinyl -- def. burnable, so yes, if the tarp catches fire they will lose it.

And yes, that def. is the cube from the memory game IC -- I think you are right that Brenda got to keep it as a memento.

Fire duty people blamed? Most likely -- this isn't a crowd who likes to take responsibilty for anything and I'm sure they will be looking for a scapegoat. Whoever put the wood on the fire last will "come under fire" (no pun intended) and whoever left the crates so close to the fire will too, I'm sure. IMO, the focus on Benry leads me to believe (since we haven't really seen much of him this entire season) that he shared in the fire and/or moving crates duty. (I would contend that it was everyone's fault for not noticing the fire was too big before they left and/or that the crates were too close to the fire before they left, but that's just me).

They had one Sears crate, which had fishing gear in it, and they had a chest from the merge that had food in it. I imagine since the both crates are on fire everything in them will burn. I bet people are hoping NaOnka still has flour buried in the woods.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-13-10 at 11:55 PM
Ha! Would be hilarious if Nay is suddenly a "hero" for hiding food in the woods because that's all that's left. Seriously, though, if all their rice and food is burned, would CBS give them more? Or is it their tough luck?

If their fishing gear is in one of those chests and they lose it, that would be bad. And Jane might not have a purpose anymore .

Posted by kiki_k on 11-14-10 at 00:26 AM
That's what I was thinking -- she goes from theif to hero! LOL

BTW -- I'm obssessing over the tarp question you asked but I just thought about something -- depending on what the fabric is treated with, some tarps may be treated with "fire resistant" material, but that would only mean that the tarp would melt instead of burn. So no matter what kind of tarp they have, it can be destroyed in the fire.

Posted by Georjanna on 11-14-10 at 00:55 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-10 AT 01:00 AM (EST)

Seriously, though, if all their rice and food is burned, would CBS give them more? Or is it their tough luck?

Well, unless the fire was re-created for our entertainment, a CBS/SEG film crew very probably watched passively as it burned out of control in the first place. So, I'd opt for "tough luck" ...

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 01:08 AM
Yep, that's what I figured, G. Isn't that why Tina went into the flood/river to rescue the rice in Season 2? But I thought I vaguely recalled another season where they got more rations, but maybe I'm dreaming! Regardless, if all the food and possibly the shelter are gone this time, there will definitely be hell to pay! And they still have over 10 days to go, so that's a loooong time to be without rice. Rewards will suddenly become a lot more important.

Wonder if anyone will have a chance to do something heroic this time? Probably not if they come back and the fire has already done its damage. But it would be cool if they get back while it's still blazing and someone saves the shelter. (Although doesn't appear so from their expressions -- they're just standing there in total disbelief.)

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-14-10 at 01:44 AM
Hi Squid, in S2, IIRC, the tarp-for-food exchange wasn't because the food was washed away by the flood. It was because Barramundi ate too much that they eventually ran out of food. They gave up their tarp and Colby's Texas flag for extra rice. The flood came later, which washed away their newly acquired rice, but that was recovered by Tina.

Posted by Georjanna on 11-14-10 at 01:59 AM
Squid,

I've learned the hard way that very often CBS and I are obviously not speaking the same language, but it would appear from the text ...

The tribe suffers a devastating blow when they find the camp in ashes after a fire ... ...

that everything is over but the shoutin' when they return. So no heroics. And it sounds as though the damage is widespread. So, quite possibly, no rice.

But I do think that your point is a good one: ten days is a "loooong" time to be without it. And I'm trying to remember if they received more of the staple after Crystal spilled so much of it during Gabon ... ?

Too, it seems to me that there was something about the corn during Guatemala ... ?

G

Posted by beaglemaster on 11-14-10 at 12:02 PM
from the pics it is obvious the wind is blowing the flames toward the shelter. Rewatching the next time on survivor vid, the wind seems calm, no leaves, branches or any of the castaways clothing is moving. So I think the fire is probably over when they get there. Ben is crouched down and is looking at the ground fairly close to him. If it was still burning I don't thimk he would get that close.

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:38 AM
I wonder at what point a fire crew would step in to prevent a fire from spreading into the forest and growing out of control.

If the shelter were burnt, I think they would be looking at it as well as the ground. It looks like they are only looking at the camp fire area and their food and whatever else is in those chests is the main loss. However, we may not be shown the part when the look at their shelter and take in that loss.

I also wonder if Marty, who we know was the main camp cook, normally was the one to make sure the fire was safely contained and combustibles were well away from it when they left camp.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-13-10 at 11:56 PM
You can tell from the photo below that it must be windy, as we see the flames blowing toward the camp. IMHO, that camp is toast. I think when they return from the RC, that all they are finding is the remains of their camp, most likely still smoking. I think they've probably lost it all.

I wonder if they try and go and find the old original La Flor site. I know if I were out there, that I sure would. I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to do that, as they are most likely left with nothing.

Interesting those shots of Brenda collecting wood and then by the fire....

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 00:20 AM
Good point, FP -- does look really windy. And if you compare this shot to the last vidcap in the "pic in pic" shots below, you can see it's spread even further.

P.S. Excellent idea to go find the old La Flor camp...wonder if anyone will think of that?! Or maybe Jeff will bring it up at TC if they don't think of it themselves?

Posted by michel on 11-14-10 at 12:33 PM
Squid, that is indeed the cube from the memory challenge but that red one wasn't Brenda's:

If you look at the last two pictures, you see another, darker cube on the bottom right.

Besides hunger, boredom is the main problem of the castaways but Survivor doesn't really want us to know about how bored their players are. The Survivors probably brought back their cubes not as momentos but rather to have them to play games.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 02:56 PM
Good catch Michel! I didn't realize they'd let them take challenge items back to camp. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe they were given a "sample" cube with treemail as a teaser, but that would probably give away too much about the challenge.

P.S. I don't see the other darker cube you mentioned....do you mean the blue square with the La Flor item on it in the lower right corner? I thought that was a barrel from the barrel challenge. (Which, come to think of it, seems to confirm that they've been bringing back other challenge items over time!)

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-14-10 at 08:01 PM
just watched a "fantasy" video on cbs and a red cube is given with tree mail. you were correct!

"Pic in pic promo"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-13-10 at 11:49 PM
Here are some "pic in pic" vidcaps courtesy of Survivor Fever:

Transcript:

Announcer: Survivors surf down the face of a volcano and hang on for a do or die challenge.
---------

So Reward = surfing on a volcano. Looks like someone (with yellowish hair? Purple Kelly?) has a wipeout.

Challenge = hanging on a rope by the pool where Fabio peed. Can we tell if it's RC or IC? Seems more like an individual challenge.

Definitely seems like arm strength would be important for this challenge. Brenda's arms are bent (vs. others have their arms straight) -- not sure if that's a bad sign? Also, it kinda looks like Dan is ready to drop out in the first few challenge shots, which wouldn't be surprising. Ben looks fierce/determined in his closeup shots.

"RE: Pic in pic promo"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 00:16 AM

Who has a hat like this? As I recall it's Chase but need to go back to old vidcaps to confirm.

I was thinking this wipeout shot was maybe Purple Kelly? Although it could be the same person in the hat?

KB and others noted above that we only see Brenda, Sash, Holly, Dan and Ben in the fire shots....so that leaves Chase, Kelly, Nay, Jane and Jud as possible team reward winners? If indeed it's Chase and Kelly in these shots, that would be some confirmation.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 00:23 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-10 AT 00:33 AM (EST)

Looks like it is Chase in the hat on the volcano reward. I think he's wearing it backwards.

P.S. Duh, I didn't need to go digging for this old photo because Chase is wearing the hat in this week's challenge shots by the pool!

Posted by kiki_k on 11-14-10 at 00:32 AM
Def. looks like Chase in the hat to me and it *has* to be Purple Kelly based on hair color -- Holly's hair is blond, but short & it isn't the same shade as Jane's -- so by process of elimination I think it is Kelly.

The pics over the water have to be IC because it doesn't look like teams (and we can assume the RC is teams because Survivor has been doing that lately -- although I preferred the individual RCs with the winner picking 2 or 3 to join him/her --made for more drama, but that's another post). Since the winner is usually feautered in the promo, I'd say Benry wins it. Brenda is def. struggling & Dan is about to drop out (as you noted).

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 00:39 AM
Based on that last arm strength/endurance challenge (with the spear), you would think that Jane and Jud would both potentially do well in this IC. I would throw Brenda (surfboarder) and Chase and Benry as those having a good shot too.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 01:14 AM
P.S. Just googled volcano surfing in Nicaragua and found this -- looks like it could be the place, since they're wearing the exact same orange uniforms:

http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2009/05/volcano-surfing-in-nicaragua.html

Looks like fun, but not when you're tired and hungry. Personally I'd rather have a more relaxing reward with lots of food .

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-14-10 at 01:48 AM
I would think the reward would include a "huge feast", a "huge picnic", or a "huge barbecue".

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-14-10 at 09:14 AM
Great find, Squid! Yes, I think that most likely a large picnic of some kind will be included in the deal, and maybe even some alcohol. Fabio should be loving life with this reward, it will be fun to see him in action.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 04:24 PM
Yes, the surfer dude should excel at this -- can't wait!

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 02:13 PM

Found this different vidcap on TDT -- bringing it over since the focus is a bit sharper. Also, you can see Dan's hand clearly off the rope, so looks like he definitely drops out early. (Ha, no surprises here but just confirming)

Also, looks like Jane's elbows are bent kinda like Brenda's, vs. others who are using the "straight arm" approach. I'm not sure if this necessarily means they're in trouble. Brenda and Jane seem like the two (of the women) who would do the best in this challenge.

Can we tell anything based on who is leaning farther back vs. who is closer to the posts?

Also, TDT says this appears to be similar to a Samoa challenge where Jaison won because he had the 2-knot advantage that he "purchased" at the auction. Here's a description I found on Wikipedia of that challenge, just in case it's helpful:

With one hand, the castaways would hang on to a rope with several knots tied into it. The rope would be tied to one end of a heavy log. The other end of the log would be connected to a pivot point on a platform that the castaways would stand on. The castaways would start at the knot closest to the end of the log. Every three minutes, they would change hands and move one knot further down the rope. This would increase the angle of the log at the pivot point and increase the weight that the castaways would have to hold. The castaway who held on to the rope the longest would win.

You can definitely see a bunch of knots in the part of Benry's rope that is hanging down, so I guess this one is similar. Does anyone else remember the Samoa challenge? What kind of people do well? I.e., is it not just arm strength but also if you're heavy your working against your own weight?

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 02:18 PM
Do you guys think the colors on the post mean anything? I.e. does each person get their own color? That would seem to confirm that this is IC/individual challenge.

But I see Chase with yellow and then Jane (or someone) with green...and then is there another yellow post to the right of that? If they're all just yellow and green, would that mean this is a team challenge/RC? Doesn't seem to make sense but just wanted to throw it out there as a possibility.

Posted by michel on 11-14-10 at 03:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-10 AT 03:11 PM (EST)

Squid, thisis Survivor's own recap of the challenge:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/recaps/1912/recaps.php?season=19

"...The object of the challenge is to hold on to that log for as long as they can. To keep it fair, the logs weight as much as the person holding them. Every three minutes they will switch hands and move one knot lower on the rope, which will dramatically increase the weight pulling on their arm. When they can no longer hold onto the rope, the log will drop, and that person is out of the challenge. The last person standing wins immunity. At the Auction, Jaison won a significant advantage in the challenge... Jaison can move up two knots on the rope, which will significantly reduce the tension and amount of weight he is holding.

At the start of the challenge, everyone appears to have everything under control... After nine minutes, Jaison chooses to use his advantage and move up two knots on the rope. This puts Jaison at only the second knot while everyone else is on the fourth knot. After twenty-one minutes, the log is now extremely heavy. Shambo is the first person to drop out of the challenge, followed by Russell. “I got a Charlie Horse in my forearm and that was it,” he says. After twenty-four minutes, the castaways move down to their last position in which they have no knot to hold onto. Jaison, on the other hand, does have a knot and will never feel all of the weight of the log. Monica drops her log, immediately followed by John, who gives up. Brett drops his log, followed by Mick and Natalie. The final battle is between Dave and Jaison. Jaison begins to slip, but ultimately beats out Dave, whose rope slips through his hands. Jaison wins immunity, guaranteeing him a one in eight shot at the million-dollar prize."

So, they were holding on with 1 hand and had to switch which could hurt those who have a weaker side. Natalie did very well and Dave, not a muscular guy at all, would have won without Jaison's advantage. Brett didn't try to win.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 03:31 PM
Thanks, so this does not appear to be exactly the same thing because the posts this time are stationary and upright vs. on an angle. Although I'm terrible at figuring out the mechanics of this kind of thing, so maybe it's really the same kind of dynamic? Visuals always help me so I dug up this shot of the from Samoa:

So if Natalie and Dave did well last time, then I guess the muscular guys don't necessarily have an advantage. Also note that last time each person had their own colored post. I wish we could see more of the posts in the vidcaps because all I see are 2 yellow and 1 green.

"Volcano boarding"
Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:12 AM
A couple of things.

First: “Announcer: Survivors surf down the face of a volcano and hang on for a do or die challenge."

I interpret this as the volcano surfing is the challenge, not the reward.

Second, and this is exciting ... I’m a volcano boarding veteran. I have done this very thing. Now, really, how cool is that? As some of you may recall, I vacationed in Nicaragua last December, and this activity was on the must-do list.

There are several companies that take groups boarding, but this is who we went with. They’re Aussies and they were great.

The hike up takes about 45 minutes and is straight up a steep slope the whole way. We went late in the afternoon, when that side of the mountain was in the shade, but in earlier in the day there would be no shade and the sun would be brutal. This shot is of the safety talk. The ride down is very steep and long and over very jagged stones. You sit, not stand. I think they stood in the beginning, but now everyone sits. You have almost no control over where you go or how fast you go, especially if you get going fast. There were five of us in our group and one wipeout, and she tumbled four or five times. I was filming her when it happened and it looked bad, but she was ok, just shook up. I took it slow, but even so caught some air when I let it rip towards the end. Next time I would let it rip a lot sooner.

That’s the board. Your feet go on the blue block, your butt on the opposite end, and the little rope thing is what you hang on to between your knees. Gloves would be nice to have, but are not standard issue.

Prepared for take off. It’s really steep. See the truck parked at the bottom?

Here we are heading down. There’s a better view of the truck. We took off at the same time. I’m the slow poke in the foreground. DH is the speed demon disappearing in the distance.

This activity takes place on Cerro Negro, a cinder cone just south of Leon, which is a very long way from where the camps are on the coast, south of San Juan del Sur. It’s almost at the opposite end of the country. I’m not sure how they manage to travel there because it could easily take 4-5 hours using ground transportation. It isn’t that far, but the highways are all two lane and things move slowly. They must have flown the cast there in a helicopter and if it is a reward, it may be an overnight reward. But I am thinking that this is a challenge and the fastest wins, and if so, I would be extremely surprised if there were not many people wiping out. The tour company has a speed gun and keeps a tally of the fastest times posted in their office, but I don’t remember what they were.

Here’s their promo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnqcm1GOMsY

Our group only had five people, including myself and DH. That group in the video is huge. They no longer tell you to use your hands at all. There were too many injuries, I think.

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Volcano boarding"
Posted by dabo on 11-15-10 at 02:20 AM
You have almost no control over where you go or how fast you go, especially if you get going fast.

Sounds like Na.

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:24 AM
LOL. Or maybe:

You have almost no control over what you say or how crazy you are, especially when you are guilty as heck about something.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-15-10 at 03:01 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-10 AT 03:24 AM (EST)

Karchita, this is so cool that you've done this and have expertise! And your photos are just glorious -- love 'em.

P.S. Just brought over the new vidcaps below and didn't see any mention of the surfing being a challenge...I still think it's more likely to be a reward, but see what you think.

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 01:30 PM
Thanks! Yes, the new promo clarifies that the volcanoe boarding isn't the 'do or die' challenge; it's the dopes on ropes challenge for immunity. I felt getting down that mountain was do or die, though, lol, but they're talking about the game of Survivor.

So I don't know. It would make sense as a reward for sure. They did zip lining the last time, and due to the distance from their camp, it could very well be an overnight reward. I know that I sure needed a shower after the boarding, so that could even be part of the reward.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-15-10 at 08:48 AM
Awesome post, Karchita! Very enlightening as well. This could be a challenge, that would be really cool. It looks like we see Chase, and I think it's Fabio that is wiping out. My money would be on Fabio to win. Thanks for sharing!

fp

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 01:57 PM
Here's one more picture, in case anybody thinks the coveralls aren't necessary or those rocks wouldn't hurt you:

It looks like they broke out some shiny new jumpsuits for the Survivors. Ours had been down the mountain a few times already .

Bouquet by c2p

"Web Promo"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 10:44 PM
The web promo is finally up and it's good:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/video/?pid=zC5YK3d9UPhJARebWjtyuWFOmQ2_m9L1&nrd=1

Will try to bring over the vidcaps later tonight.

"RE: Web Promo"
Posted by CTgirl on 11-14-10 at 11:07 PM
That link didn't work for me, but this one did:
http://tinyurl.com/25oq3nq

Thanks for posting the video. I saw a shorter version of it during The Amazing Race, but it cut off before Chase says that he's stuck in the middle.
It shows more of the IC - should have some good vidcaps to look at! It's an exciting promo!

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-14-10 at 11:47 PM
Looks like Sash was behind Jane and Kelly was behind Brenda, so those two are out of the IC. And I think Dan was falling in. That's all I could catch.

And Chase is the one "stuck in the middle" - between Sash, Brenda, Kelly, and Nay -- vs. -- Benry, Fabio, Holly, Dan, and Jane, I'm guessing....

"Web promo vidcaps"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-15-10 at 03:22 AM
Courtesy of Survivor Fever:

Transcript:

Announcer: Wednesday, the Survivors are scrambling.

<scenes of volcanic surfing>

Benry : Getting rid of Sash and Brenda is number one on my list.

Holly : I'm keeping my eye on Chase.

Brenda : Benry, Fabio...it's only a matter of time before they go.

Chase : I'm stuck in the middle of two alliances again.

Announcer: A do or die for immunity.

Jeff Probst: Don't you dare give up on this challenge.

Benry : Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Announcer: Disaster strikes the Survivor camp.

Benry: Oh my God.

Holly: You guys, I'm gonna cry.

Announcer: Will it destroy everything?

--------

Working late so no time to analyze these...have fun spoiling!

"RE: Web promo vidcaps"
Posted by kiki_k on 11-15-10 at 07:31 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-10 AT 07:34 AM (EST)

In the first IC promo, upthread, I wrote that I thought Benry could be the winner because he was featured prominently. In this longer one, both Jane & Benry are featured prominently. Is it possible that Jane could pull off a win here? I don't know -- she did well in the first IC after merge that called for upper body strength, and she may have an advantage over Benry because of body weight. I'm torn now between the two of them. I'm still leaning Benry though, because he also has some shots that are not the challenge shots and we don't see Jane at all except in the challenge.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-15-10 at 11:20 AM
Just thinking out loud here: Benry seems like the logical next boot candidate for Brenda/Sash (physical threat, out of the loop on the Marty vote, Chase doesn't trust him, etc.), so he's probably feeling it's "do or die" for him and that could be why he's featured so heavily in the promos. But is it misdirection?

P.S. on IC: Gotta like Jane's chances based on the last arm endurance challenge, and I just noticed in the SOTS that Flo Po is going with Jane as the IC winner, so that's good enough for me .

Posted by kiki_k on 11-15-10 at 05:11 PM
Agreed -- FloPo is the master at judging challenge winners based on vidcaps, heck, I was trying to use her theory on who is prominently displayed to judge the winner myself -- so I'm with Jane winning now.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-15-10 at 01:41 PM
If everything is already burned by the time they get back to camp, how are they going to show the fire during the episode? (I assume they are going to show at least part of it since they have it in the preview).

Will they cut back and forth from the progress of the RC to the progress of the camp going up in flames? That would be kind of fun.

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:19 PM
Maybe they'll show the flames after the challenge, when the losers are walking back to camp, so we know what they are headed for.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Brownroach on 11-15-10 at 05:07 PM
I won't be specific, but missyae said there is something they do before leaving camp for the RC that contributes to the fire causing so much damage. I expect we will see that as the set-up (while ominous music plays on the soundtrack).

Posted by kingfish on 11-15-10 at 07:57 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-15-10 AT 11:04 PM (EST)

Posted by suzzee on 11-17-10 at 11:21 AM
In the shots of Brenda tending the fire the crates are behind her by the tree. When they're burning they are by the shelter.

Is the something they do before leaving camp to move the crates between the fire and the shelter? The wind would do the rest.

A Tribe masterpiece

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-15-10 at 02:09 PM
For the IC, it doesn't look like Benry is looking down the row, to JANE...It looks like he is looking passed the spot where Jane would be...So if it is down to Benry and someone, I don't think it is Jane...

Posted by Krautboy on 11-15-10 at 05:11 PM

In this shot Benry looks wet (water droplets on his chin and hair), dejected and concerned...could this be after losing the IC and walking back to camp? During the challenge he is wearing his buff and shirt, but if he falls into the pool because loses the challenge, he may remove the wet clothes and buff for the walk back to camp.

Krautboy

Posted by kiki_k on 11-15-10 at 08:44 PM
OOOH! Good catch KB!! I bet that is Benry after the IC and you are right -- he doesn't look like how I would expect someone who won IC to look.

Posted by michel on 11-15-10 at 11:21 PM
Nice catch KB.

I don't know who wins but if we put these two pictures together:

we can definitely eliminate Kelly (no sh*t Sherlock!) and Sash.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-15-10 at 11:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 01:38 AM (EST)

I was looking at the picture of Jane, Sash and Kelly too, but came the the conclusion that it must be a composite photo of three different shots.

The other picture has 5 posts, five ropes and five contestants, with Jane between Benry and Chase, but without any of those pictured eliminated yet. Sash, Brenda, Holly, Kelly and Jud are apparently out of the frame to the left of Dan.

The other possibility is that there are several "heats", but that is not normally the case in this type of endurance challenge.

Edited to add:

After some additional consideration, I think Michel is correct.

The picture of Sash, Jane and Kelly confused me because of the telephoto effect that compressed the depth of field and makes it appear that Kelly is much closer to Jane than she really is.

In the other picture a sixth post is visible just above Jane's head; apparently the post to which NaOnka's rope is tied. The post between Benry and Jane is where Sash was, but he has apparently already dropped out of the challenge.

This picture from SFever, shows two empty posts between, Brenda and Dan, one of which is where Kelly was in the other shot. Kelly has already dropped out in this shot, along with Holly. We can see Brenda and to her left is Jud (notice his yellow shorts in the corner).

So the order is apparently NaOnka, Benry, Sash, Jane, Chase, Dan, Kelly, Holly, Brenda and Jud.
Sash, Kelly and Holly appear to be the first three out of the challenge.

Krautboy

Posted by Zeek on 11-16-10 at 00:24 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 00:25 AM (EST)

Hi All

I'm a very long time lurker. This thread feels like several seasons ago, when one could try to figure out (without sourced spoilers) what was going on. Which I've missed over the years. So Kudos for setting up this thread.

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-16-10 at 10:23 AM
I agree! (See my post #64)!!

Posted by Krautboy on 11-16-10 at 01:27 PM
Well done Rachel! Looks like we've all reached consensus.

Krautboy

Posted by beaglemaster on 11-16-10 at 03:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 04:05 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 04:04 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 03:57 PM (EST)

d>
>After some additional consideration, I think
>Michel is correct.
>
>The picture of Sash, Jane and
>Kelly confused me because of
>the telephoto effect that compressed
>the depth of field and
>makes it appear that Kelly
>is much closer to Jane
>than she really is.
>
>In the other picture a sixth
>post is visible just above
>Jane's head; apparently the post
>to which NaOnka's rope is
>tied. The post between Benry
>and Jane is where Sash
>was, but he has apparently
>already dropped out of the
>challenge.
>
>This picture from SFever, shows two
>empty posts between, Brenda and
>Dan, one of which is
>where Kelly was in the
>other shot. Kelly has already
>dropped out in this shot,
>along with Holly. We can
>see Brenda and to her
>left is Jud (notice his
>yellow shorts in the corner).
>
>
>
>So the order is apparently NaOnka,
>Benry, Sash, Jane, Chase, Dan,
>Kelly, Holly, Brenda and Jud.
>
>Sash, Kelly and Holly appear to
>be the first three out
>of the challenge.
>
>
>Krautboy

Just a random thought here but don't they usualy throw out in this kind of challenge a few food rewards for dropping out early? I mean dosn't it seem a bit odd that Dan outlast Sash and Holly. Kelly was crying last week that she was HUNGRY! I'm leaning toward a scenario where Jeff offering things like cookies and milk, SPLASH and Kelly hits the water. Burger and frys... Sash hits the water. Holly dives for pizza. Whacha think? Plausable?

Oh! and I just remembered none of them went on reward and if the rice and other foods in camp burned up I'm sure they are just starving.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-16-10 at 04:11 PM
In the other picture a sixth post is visible just above Jane's head; apparently the post to which NaOnka's rope is tied. The post between Benry and Jane is where Sash was, but he has apparently already dropped out of the challenge.

You can also see the lower part of Naonka's post in front of Benry's leg. And you can see that the rope is slack coming off the post after Jane's, so it couldn't be Benry's.

"EP10 Press Photos"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-16-10 at 11:03 PM
Here are a few last minute shots that confirm some of the speculation...

Krautboy

"RE: EP10 Press Photos"
Posted by dabo on 11-17-10 at 02:03 AM
Well, with his bad knee, I have to give credit to the producers for giving Dan a challenge he cannot possibly win when the reward is something which could send him to the hospital. MB must have been in a rare nonsadistic mood that day.

"RE: EP10 Press Photos"
Posted by Karchita on 11-17-10 at 03:23 AM
That reward could send anyone to the hospital or even the morgue, so I don't know about MB taking a day off.

My knees aren't so young and happy anymore, and the volcano boarding wasn't especially hard on them, although if you attempt to slow down by using your feet (which is the only way to do it), it would be easy to wrench a knee, healthy or not. Usually it's hiking down a mountain that bothers people's knees, but the beauty of the boarding is there is none of that.

Bouquet by c2p