URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7535
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Thread to Restore Sanity"

Posted by dabo on 11-05-10 at 01:34 PM
Rated E for Everyone. Editing threaders only, lurkers, non-spoilers, full-bore-spoilers, analyzers, speculators, this one's for everyone. If you don't yet know your ABCs get your Mommy to read it to you, you're welcome here too.

So, a couple of rules for this thread are in order.

1. No Spoiling. This isn't the thread for that.

2. No Fighting. This is a thread for conversation, maybe some healthy debate, it is not an invitation to square off and go 15 rounds. Disagreements may arise, try to keep it civil and respectful, there is no reason to be disagreeable.

The topic of this thread is the Spoiler Forum itself. There are divisions among the forum users that are causing stress and frustration and anxiety and maybe a few pimples. Can we find a way to just peacefully co-exist, can't everyone who wants to enjoy themselves here just find a way to get along? Stuff like that.

In my view all of these forums are for one thing, for us to have fun with. Spoiling is a fun pastime. I am responsible for how I have fun and use these forums, you are responsible for how you do it. Getting in each other's way should not be anyone's intent, anyone with a confrontational attitude towards fellow posters around here you need to run a diagnostic and fix that programming, okay.

But getting in each other's way unintentionally is a problem where no one is to blame, it happens. No one is really at fault. No matter what we do it may continue to happen, but maybe not so much. Do we need to change things, how we do things? If so, how do we do it?

Okay, Veruca's editing thread is a great example of a thread having a topic, of spoiling in that topic being limited to the purpose of the thread. It's simple to understand, it is about analyzing the editing of what we've seen in the episodes after the fact, sometimes projecting from what we've been shown some things like what are so-and-so's chances of winning this game without undergoing a frontal lobotamy. Before the first episode airs we gather information there about the players, who they are and where they're from and what Jeff had to say about them before filming began and such. Once the first episode airs it is all about after-the-fact studies of what has aired.

Simple, easy to get, we all get it even if we may use different wording to get it by. Bingo, we have an example of a thread for a specific purpose and limited spoiling. And it is valuable and can be a spoiling tool for everyone.

We can do it!

But then there are things like Vidcap threads which serve conjoined purposes, straight analysis of visual evidence from promos, content story analysis of where the story is going. These threads have tremendous value for speculators who just want to get the visual evidence of, say, who ends up on what tribe because of the switch. But source spoilers can gleen information there valuable to their putting together the pieces of the puzzle they are playing with. Neither side is wrong but we have a problem because unintentionally we are interfering with each other having fun. Speculators are frustrated because they don't want the source spoiling stuff, source spoilers are frustrated trying to censor themselves when really they don't want to because they are in the hunt. Is there a solution, if so what's the answer.

Perhaps Vidcap threads can be sectioned somehow, visuals only section and jigsaw story section (lousy name, we can certainly do better). Or we may want to consider having threads that are marked Speculation Only, Spoiling Only, Limited Spoiling, Analysis Only. I hope it doesn't really have to get that complicated but a well organized forum for the demands of the time is a worthy goal.

Oh, and source spoiling people, can we get you all to agree to just one thing, please. You don't really know anything except what someone says happened/is going to happen. It is all really a guessing game. And nonsource spoiling people, you need to understand that as well. No matter how they word it, all that the source spoiling people really know is what someone said, nothing else. There are no assurances, it is all a guessing game.

Spoiling is for fun, however anyone chooses to do it. It is also a collaborative effort of everyone involved, even those people you may choose to ignore. That includes missy and whoever may be the telephone game sources for what missy says. As best as possible we need to all get along and remember that the real enemy, if you even need one, is MB.

If spoiling proves anything other than it just being a fun pastime, this is what it proves: Betting on events after they have occured is stupid. Not that the people placing the bets are stupid, the people running the betting parlors are.

Which brings me to the voting thread. For my own sanity I cannot take running the betting parlor that seriously, it's just for fun. Some of the threads here are supposed to be for everyone, like voting, like the EC thread during the blackout period, that's the way it is.

So, let's have a conversation, a discussion here, let's figure it out. Are there problems I haven't identified, please elaborate. Play nice.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Thread to Restore Sanity"
Posted by Slider on 11-05-10 at 04:19 PM
Great idea Dabo!

I did not mean to step on anyone's toes in the vidcap thread when I commented that I did not want to know the next two boots, I was just surprised that it was put in that thread. This year I have tried to be spoiler free and did not expect spoiling in that thread, as it usually is mainly based on speculation, maybe spoilers about rewards. I have not read any threads which say "warning, spoilers".

While I know we are in the spoiler forum, I think we all agree that there are different kinds of spoiling. In the past, I loved to read it all. The past couple of seasons have not been as enjoyable for me because it has been all laid out in advance. I personally miss the old days where we looked at clues and had bits and pieces of information. However, it is what it is.

As Veruca's thread is spoiler free, I guess I thought all threads without a warning were spoiler free. Whatever you all decide is fine with me, but I agree with Dabo that it would be good to have further guidelines.

That said, I love this forum and appreciate all the time and effort put in by everyone.

Slider

Posted by kiki_k on 11-05-10 at 04:41 PM
It was my fault. I didn't think about the fact that I was giving up sourced spoiler info -- I was just trying to show that person X had to win IC at F11 if the sourced spoilers were true.
And, I've been lurking here for the past several seasons because of work & have only started posting this season because work is slow, so I'm not "used" to thinking about these things. As I've already said, I'll try to be more careful.

Posted by Slider on 11-05-10 at 06:19 PM
Hey, no problem! Not much was revealed. In past seasons, before everything was spoiled, I enjoyed knowing a few facts. Also, we never know if facts are true or not, so we may still be surprised!

Posted by dabo on 11-05-10 at 07:52 PM
Thank you. For the record, some credit for this should go to OFG as well, this thread is something of a spin-off from her Protocol thread. We both felt that the conversation needed to become all-inclusive.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 00:18 AM
>>> As Veruca's thread is spoiler free, I guess I thought all threads without a warning were spoiler free.

Her thread has been the one topic in the forum where spoilers are off limits. It's an exception, rather than the rule.

Posted by Corvis on 11-07-10 at 10:13 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-10 AT 10:37 AM (EST)

I think if we're going to have this discussion, we need to be open to all the ideas and not use "the past" as a reason to go in a particular direction. Perhaps Veruca's thread could be used a model going forward rather than an exception. Or we could do two completely separate forums as I suggested below.

"Previous topic"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 01:20 AM
Here is a link to the original topic. When I get a minute, I'll copy over some comments that were already contributed, minus any spoilers of course. The topic really only had spoilers in the lead post and my sig line. A nice result of that topic was that several self-described lurkers came into posting mode.

Spoiler Forum Protocol, Pt 1

I'm all for getting along and playing nicely. As far as carving out the Spoiler forum as a playground that serves those who don't want to read Spoilers, I have a big problem with it, because it makes it a chore to spoil in it.

I have no problem with Veruca's topic, but it was supposed to be an exception.

The way I have always looked at Survivor Blows' Survivor playground is this: there are 3 forums, not counting Games, and each of these forums serves a certain demographic. Some people post in all the forums, others in one or two.

Of these three, the Spoiler forum has always served those who want to know what happens before the show airs. That's the basic conversation. As such, if it bothers you to know what is going to happen, this probably isn't the forum for you.

The vidcaps you see here are available in their "pure" form on SurvivorFever and SurvivorPhoenix, if you don't want to read spoiling analysis that has too much information. People who want to figure out the episode using promo caps can do it unspoiled by going to the original sites where they're posted.

After two lightly spoiled seasons with Gabon and Tocantins, the extensive information that came out during Samoa was a drastic change. Out of courtesy, the boot list topics were supplied with warnings. Unfortunately, the courtesy backfired, as we now have the situation where people complain if Vidcaps, SOTS, etc.. have spoilers in them.

I would like to go back to the way it was -- no more warnings, no restrictions on what people say when voting. I am tired of the spoiler forum as a place where knowledge is censored and people are scolded for sharing it.

Over at Sucks, the standing warning for people who complain about spoilers in the Spoiler forum goes like this: if you persist, you will receive an unlabeled PM from the admin containing the boot list (or something major if there's no boot list).

I really hate that I even have a reason to compare Sucks to this board, but honestly, there's been more tolerance there than here lately. How backwards is that?

The problem I see with the spoiler forum at present is that some folks want a forum for pure spec and analysis, and there isn't one. Whether we get one depends on the mods. I think it's very difficult for spoiled and unspoiled to work side by side in the same forum, and dysfunctional. Most boards don't attempt it.

I hope that these conversations might lead to a clarification of the guidelines here, if nothing else. We've been kind of winging it the last three seasons.

"RE: Previous topic"
Posted by michel on 11-07-10 at 01:10 PM
Dabo, I applaud your efforts. You put yourself in the middle of a conflict in which I played a part and are doing a great job reuniting us. That is a tough job.

OFG, I totally agree with you and I also applaud your "To each his own" from a similar thread in Fanatics. It should be that way...except it only works in theory.

In practice? Do you realize I was spoiled inside THIS thread? I thought it was safe to enter but now I know something I didn't really want to know. I don't want to spoil anyone else so I'll use hidden text. Scroll over if you want to see what I mean;

I know now that Marty will win immunity next week because Kiki wrote: "I didn't think about the fact that I was giving up sourced spoiler info -- I was just trying to show that person X had to win IC at F11 if the sourced spoilers were true."
Who else but Marty HAS to win IC? No worry Kiki, it isn't a big deal, just an example of how wicked a spoiled information can be.

Yes, I could go to Survivorfever or survivorphoenix for the vidcaps but I'd only see the caps and miss the discussions. How often have juicy details been discovered by an accumulation of individual observations. I couldn't do that on my own and I do like to have an idea of what will hapen. Not be told what IS.

I hate censorship but it doesn't have to be seen that way. If you want it to be "to each his own" then all that is needed is respect. By that I mean asking what is the subject of the thread.

For an example in vidcaps, suppose we are trying to figure out which tribe wins immunity and a poster writes: "Judging from this vidcap Team Blue has a nice lead and here you see two Blue peeps smiling so Team Blue must win immunity."
Now, imagine this as reply: "Missyae says Team Blue goes to TC so Team Yellow must win IC." I'd ask how is that vidcap analysis? The second poster didn't respect the intent of the thread. If he knows, good for him. To each his own would be to give the others a chance to figure it out or even to be wrong. Making a wrong prediction isn't a disease that needs to be cured.

You have replied to some of my editing analysis posts but I can't let myself read them. No matter how hard you'd be trying to block out information from the source, I'd see your comments as facts, not speculation. I wasn't trying to start a war when I said I wouldn't be reading your posts, just explaining what I had to do for it to be "to each his own."

"RE: Previous topic"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 07:09 PM
michel, just FYI, you weren't spoiled. That conclusion you put in spoiler font was incorrect and even the interpretation of the sentence was off. So don't feel spoiled.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-07-10 at 04:25 AM
Long time lurker (Season 6) and new poster (this season).

I prefer to focus on what is rather than what was. Which appears to be the intention of this thread... how to best go about the spoiler forum from here on out.

As I've understood it, the spoiler forum encompasses both sourced spoilers and spec spoilers. There have been seasons that have leaned toward more of one than the other. I personally like spec spoiling. It's just more fun to me. And honestly it's really the only reason why I come on here (and why I'm writing this post I love Veruca's thread and enjoy when there are other threads that have posters engaging in how to break down what we are given for the next episode to determine what's going to happen.

It seems that source spoilers are more apt to read all topics, as a sourced spoiler has more of a chance of determining the actual outcome as it comes from a source. Therefore, for them, info in specs-like thread wouldn't really hinder that. Whereas spec spoilers are more likely to be (many times unwantedly) influenced by sourced spoilers , as they come across as more than just conjecture. From what I gather, spec spoilers would prefer to figure it out, do the "spoiling" rather than be told, therefore they would be less apt to read all topics. This is, to me, what I predominantly see "spoiling" as, although I understand there is sourced spoiling. Sourced spoiling is merely on the periphery, for me. Dare I bring logic into this, but wouldn't it be logical for spec spoilers to know which threads are source spoiled. And if it mattered to source spoilers (although I don't think it does) then they could know which ones are spec spoiled too.

If what I perceive is an accurate account of what this forum is about, and if the posters in this forum truly wanted to be harmonious, it would seem that it would most sensible to simply identify which threads are specs and which are sourced. I mean is that too much of an imposition for people to follow. Those who want to read both, read both. Those who want to read specs only, read specs only. Those who want to read sources only, read sourcess only. Seems simple to me, and harmonious

For the record, I no longer believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, but I don't feel the need to mention it (or the source that spoiled it for me)at any holiday gatherings ;) Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I was just being considerate.

At any rate, thanks for hearing my opinion, and to Dabo for opening up this thread for us to have this discussion. There are varying views, and I think it's awesome that they can all be heard!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 04:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-10 AT 05:00 AM (EST)

The problem with what you ask, is that your post shows that you have little if any sense of what people like myself who use all the material do, or what we find useful, or what we need to work productively. I guess that makes it easy to say do this and that, no problem.

I would ask to have the term "source spoiler" stricken from the conversation in reference to people, because it's insulting. I am not a "source spoiler." I'm a spoiler. I use a variety of methods to do that, of which one is to factor in what people are saying who have sources.

Actually the intention of this topic was requested to be a continuation of my original topic only without spoilers in it. That topic dealt with all the problems it is causing to spoilers to have to tiptoe around speculators. It was not a topic on how to keep the spoilers segregated in boxes. Perhaps I should start that topic, pt 2.

ETA -- I will do that. Carry on. Clearly I'm really upset by this, and I know dabo doesn't want that, so I'll bow out.

Posted by Corvis on 11-07-10 at 10:36 AM
Hi, friend. First of all, I am really sorry this whole thing is so upsetting for you. I absolutely take your point that spoilers who use sources do fun speculating stuff that takes skill and get that the "source spoiler" term would feel insulting because of the implication that there's no skill involved in what you do. So I won't use it.

For me, the best part of spoiling - and the whole reason this started - was to figure out the boot. That's the way I measure spoiling success. When there is a sourced boot list out there, in my view, 90% of the fun is gone immediately. I realize spoilers who use sources would say the percentage is a lot different. And that's cool.

I am of the opinion (and I know this is no surprise to you, OFG )that spoilers who use sources and spoilers who don't can't really work together effectively. There's an imbalance of information that makes it impossible for the two groups to work together.

I think the only way to do this is to leave the Spoilers forum as a place where all spoilers are welcome and create a "Speculators" forum where all tools except for sources are used. And (sadly) ask my friends the spoilers who use sources to stay out of that forum. Of course, there may not be enough of the spoilers who don't use sources to keep such a forum going. Which is why I pretty much just accepted that I don't get to have fun spoiling anymore.

And I don't know what is even possible as I don't know what the people who run this place are willing to do.

(Oh and for the record, because I went to the interview thread in here hoping to just get a link and inadvertently read two of the final three's names (I blame no one but myself), I gave up on not being source spoiled this season. I know the whole Final Three now. *sigh*)

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-07-10 at 03:46 PM
I've suggested a Spec thread before too -- that's what Sucks does and it appears to work. What would need to be done to get that going here? And are there enough posters for each of the different sections?

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 07:17 PM
It's entirely up to SurvivorBlows and the mods whether there would be a Spec forum, but I would love to see it. It does work on Sucks. I too don't think "lite spoiling" and "by all means possible spoiling" work side by side if the lite spoiling folks are adamant about not seeing information.

I have other spoiling I want to do besides the boot and I am not very focused on identifying the winner. As one of some 20,000 people who play the fantasy game, that stuff is a minor component of doing well in the game. Perhaps that's why I'm not interested in messing around with wrong answers. The game is very unforgiving with respect to making mistakes.

I used to be happy to get the boot and the immunity and reward, but after all these seasons I am more about figuring out the whole story of the episode. Honestly, even with all the spoilers out there, that is still difficult and the success rate is 50/50 or less.

Posted by michel on 11-07-10 at 07:59 PM
I wouldn't say it works on Sucks. Their biggest spec thread, "Edgic", is full of arguments about whether so and so is actually spoiled and if they are using ghosties to make attacks on others. Even Stephen of Tocantins, gets flamed when he posts there. The thread is almost unreadable because of those arguments.

Being like Sucks wouldn't restore sanity!

Posted by Corvis on 11-07-10 at 08:33 PM
You know, I'm not one to take offense easily, and I'm really not offended by your comment. But one would think someone who was so sensitive to be called a "source spoiler" would realize that "lite spoiler" could just as easily, if not more so, come across as insulting. I took great pains to make sure the terms I used were neutral and then you go ahead and use "lite spoiler."

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 09:10 PM
sorry, I picked that up from someone who termed his preference as spoiling "light" that I had just read - and now I can't find that post. It wasn't my term.

But point noted. The reason I object to source spoiler as a description of a group is that I and others don't confine ourselves to that one type of information. We use all evidence available, and if there is no sourced spoiler, we spoil based on what we have.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 09:50 PM
found the post, it was on my "unspoiled topic"

"I agree with Snidget in that I like what you might call "light" spoiling: speculation, logic, analysis, working from information that is publicly released in previews, vidcaps, promos, teasers.

Because that was self-described, I did not see the characterization as derogatory, and the types of processes and materials covers the list very well of what people like who want to avoid missyae stuff. So I repeated it ...

but objection noted ... maybe you and michel and Aaron can brainstorm a term. What you do is not pure speculation; it's spoiling like what they also do in MESS (except other spoilers are allowed to be mentioned there, just not used as proof).

Posted by michel on 11-07-10 at 10:37 PM
Terms don't really bother me but I'd love to be called a detective!

(Ok, that's a plug for my summary Maybe after reading it you'd call me the Dementalist but that would be ok)

Posted by dabo on 11-07-10 at 07:46 PM
Excellent post, Aaron! What was was. What is is. It may be too late to salvage this season, hope not. The question is:

Where do we go from here?

What I hope we can achieve is, simply, consensus. It doesn't matter really which option we go with, but we do need consensus. We can leave things as they are understanding that nothing is perfect and no one is doing anything wrong and let's all just have fun if that is the consensus. We can ask for a Speculation Forum if that is the consensus, and maybe Webby will give us one and maybe not, and if he does it may be a great success or it may be flavor of the month. Or we can explore options that we have here at Blows that aren't available elsewhere, get organized, reorganized, employ those DC Scripts programming options that aren't possible with Yuku. However it works out, and this thread is going pretty well so far, as many people as possible should pipe in. Consensus cannot be dictated, at least not without some authority to enforce the dictate. Consensus can only really be achieved with all of us individually agreeing to come together.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-09-10 at 03:18 AM
Thanks Dabo!

I appreciate the opportunity to be able to share my opinion and be part of the consensus. I'm glad I shared here!

It really does appear that the Spoiler section has expanded in some way (isn't it natural for things to grow and evolve?) I was trying to get across (for lack of a less linear explanation) that on one side of the spectrum there is "spec" spoiling and on the other there is "source" spoiling. Some people, actually many of the more frequent well-versed posters on here, I believe like to cover the whole gamut of the spectrum. Kudos to them! Other's may like to chill on one side of the spectrum or the either. Neither right or wrong, just is.

Those who view it all may not see a need for identifying the two, or separating forums for the two, but it's respectful to be open to hearing that some may desire this. For to them, it may be a matter of simply enjoying the passtime of contributing to the forum without reading more info than they wish to know.

If any changes would be inconvenient for those who aren't already inconvienced, I get it. No need to rock the applecart. I've already felt inconvienced doing only "spec" spoiling, but I can remain so. I would imagine we are all savvy enough to monitor this on our own. I know I can continue to do so, as I have not yet been "source" spoiled this season.

But since it has been brought up, if there can be something done structurely, based on consensus, that would make this all easier, I'd say go for it.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-07-10 at 10:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-10 AT 10:26 PM (EST)

In response to the comments that the past of the forum doesn't matter so much as where it's going, I can't say I agree.

First, there are enough people who have been here for a decade, or at least years, that the past of the forum certainly does matter.

Second, it is not a democracy, and no one asked us to build consensus. The forum has certain guidelines. Looking to the past for what has been acceptable is my way of looking at what the guidelines allow -- as no one in blue has suggested the guidelines are up for grabs.

That said, I hope it is useful for the clashes to be brought up in a topic, so that the mods can decide if they want to make changes.

My feelings based on a view of how this forum has evolved:
back in S2 it was very chaotic, with new topics springing up constantly. Over the seasons, the forum became a tightly run ship, with a certain number of topics started regularly each week - a place of order.

While I wouldn't mind having one spec topic that was long-running and spoiler free, if the forum were to go to duplicate topics, spoiled and unspoiled, oh wait, it already has, and that's why I started a topic! It's such a clunky way to go, that I wouldn't want to bother with it any more. I only started this conversation because it was down to either something gives or I just leave.

Posted by Oingo on 11-08-10 at 07:05 AM
Ah, on that we agree, OFG. Only my viewpoint is that if I can't see my favorite features in source-spoiler free format, I would just leave. Banishment to a single thread does not make for an interesting forum and certainly does not engage one in the community.

If we were to turn it around and say that source spoilers would only be allowed in one segregated thread and all the other fine features here -- vidcaps, network clue/preview, insider transcripts, voting, blog review, day-after review and yes even SOTS had to remain free of source-spoilers -- I think that would probably not work for a segment of the population here.

Similarly, having to stay penned up in just one thread does not work for a different segment of the population here.

I'm working on the assumption that we value both segments. I think we all do, yes?

Though it may be "clunky", the only way to serve both demographics is to have a number of duplicate topics or features of equal quality. Otherwise, it's sort of like saying, "you can't have what you want in my forum, and you can't have it in yours, either." If the group is not willing to tolerate some duplication -- which could really be segregated into a separate speculation section for organization and clarity -- we are essentially choosing to say goodbye to one or the other segments of our community. I don't put it that way to be combative. It just seems like simple logic to me.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 00:11 AM
This is an interesting comment:

>Banishment to a single thread
>does not make for an
>interesting forum and certainly does
>not engage one in the
>community.
>
>If we were to turn it
>around and say that source
>spoilers would only be allowed
>in one segregated thread and
>all the other fine features
>here -- vidcaps, network clue/preview,
>insider transcripts, voting, blog review,
>day-after review and yes even
>SOTS had to remain free
>of source-spoilers -- I think
>that would probably not work
>for a segment of the
>population here.

I understand what you are saying, but it seems rather ironic. Do you not realize that what you put as a hypothetical is how it's been this season? That's exactly how it's been, all those things you call fine features have been source spoiler free, and thats why I'm so unhappy at the segregation that's been in force.

Whatever happened this last week or so was just testing to the waters to see if "we" could possibly just speak -- not even freely -- just make a pertinent reference. The answer was NO. I've been banished all season and forced for the most part to work in a huge long unwieldy topic, except for some that Krautboy started, which have warnings plastered all over them.

Posted by mimo on 11-09-10 at 06:50 PM
OFG from your posts you seem rather frustrated and I suspect that your frustration may have to do with the tone of some of the comments. Please don't go into hiding as I think you are very much a valued member of this community. I've enjoyed reading your posts and to the extent I end up reading something I didn't want to know, I can only blame myself. (It is the spoilers forum after all.) That said, I feel that level of information out there on these most recent seasons is a bit too detailed for my own personal enoyment. I would appreciate having a few areas where certain detailed information is not discussed, but defer to the opinions of the long-time spoilers.

From my perspective, I have been seeing some fingerpointing--although I'm not going to point out by whom . I don't think it's helping the level of discourse and I wish people would just play nicely in the sandbox. I guess I'm just trying to say, I hear you and I sympathize. Please don't leave us.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 07:13 PM
Thanks, mimo, that was very nice. You are right, I am frustrated, have been frustrated. I think of a season as a whole mystery, not a week by week mystery, and that is the way of looking at it that interests me. I do understand that is not so for everyone. I don't know how to fix the problem. I do know that the way it's been going is not working for me, and is not fun any more.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-09-10 at 03:26 AM
"I'm working on the assumption that we value both segments. I think we all do, yes?"

I do, Oingo!

Thanks for sharing, and for finding the words to shed light on how there is a similar perspective from either vantage point. Which brings us back around to the logical idea of getting a consensus

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 04:18 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-10 AT 06:51 AM (EST)

>>> I'm working on the assumption that we value both segments. I think we all do, yes?

Some of us want to make this about valuing people. I enjoy the company here, but there are many forums at RTVW for people to mingle. Survivor Spoilers was conceived used to be as a forum for spoiling EPM's show, and I liked that about it.

"The Spoiler Forum"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-08-10 at 01:51 AM
As I understand it, the "Survivor Spoiler Forum" exists so the discussion of spoilers can occur in a place that can be avoided if one chooses not to be spoiled.

Those who come here to read the discussions, do so at their own risk. Those who post in this forum can not be blamed for including information others choose not to see, and should not be expected to censor themselves while trying to have fun spoiling the show.

Overall, our spoiling community has been very courteous and respectful of each other, as we have tried to accomodate both the spoiled and unspoiled who wish to participate in this forum.

I would like to propose that the burden of being unspoiled in the Spoilers Forum falls on the unspoiled poster and reader. Those who would like a spoiler free thread in the Spoiler Forum should make their request clear in the Subject line and in the header of their post. At the same time, those of us who are spoiled would respect those threads and avoid posting any information deemed to be "sourced".

This would apply to Veruca's editing thread, the Vote thread and the East Coast Thread.

It should not be necessary to post a SPOILER ALERT in the Spoiler Forum, rather it should be required to request the courtesy of a SPOILER FREE ZONE in the Spoiler Forum.

I'm sure the spoilers here at SBlows would make every attempt to accommodate our unspoiled friends, and continue to enjoy Survivor together where possible

Krautboy

"RE: The Spoiler Forum"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 04:01 AM
I agree 100% and I would have no problem with these three accommodations.

End of the Innocence

Posted by Georjanna on 11-08-10 at 04:09 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-10 AT 04:34 AM (EST)

KB,

As evidenced by the fact that I have been one of West Virginia's seven or so Republicans for over 45 long and lonely years, I am a fervent advocate of checks and balances. I don't think that - over time - any person or process performs well in an atmosphere of unrelieved uniformity. Or, put another way: I’ve never understood what the dickens everyone has against anarchy, anyway …

That said:

For several Seasons, we have been fortunate to have reliable sourced spoilers available to us. But, just as that hasn't always been the case, it may not always be the case. For instance:

Within the past week, because he was misinformed, Missyae was forced to retract some of the S22 information that he had earlier offered.

So I think that it would be wise of us to continue to develop and nurture multiple approaches to the task of spoiling Survivor. And because I think that the independent analysis of their subject matter can be compromised by the inclusion of sourced spoilers, I would prefer that two of this Forum's most frequently cited and broadly acclaimed analytical methodologies/threads - Editing and Vidcaps – be available in sourced-spoiler-free formats. But, because I consider diversity to be a good – stimulating and fun – thing, I would also more than welcome the presence of alternative Vidcap and Editing threads that encourage the inclusion of sourced information.

However, I think that the format of a thread is a call that most appropriately rests - not with an opinion poll - but with that thread's author. So, I agree, very whole-heartedly, with you: I don't think that an author of a thread posted in the Spoiling Forum should ever be expected/required to give notice to the reader that its content is pursuant to the Forum's reason for being. But, it appears to me that we are blessed with more than enough bandwidth to also accommodate threads by authors who prefer that the task at hand be approached sans a particular – or sans several particular – spoiling methods. And who say so – up front. As in a simple header that reads:

The author welcomes the participation of all. However, he/she does request that you not post or reference sourced spoilers in this thread. Thank you.

I also think, though, that the expression of that preference should never carry with it the unrealistic expectation that the author's wishes will always be the reader's command or the inference that contributions to the thread by any Forum member is – by virtue of his/her presumed state of spoiling - inappropriate. There is, in a public forum, no practical way to police - and no polite way to say - "shut up!"

In short: I, too, think that a limited number of civil requests is a much more efficient means of accommodating our broad range of talents than is a sea of - “Caution! There is salt in this ocean!” - warnings. And your suggestions are certainly far more palatable than the decree of a diaspora.

Thank you for making them.

Posted by LFJ on 11-08-10 at 10:17 AM
"...Anarchy?" Hmmm. Now there's an interesting "Topic".

This discussion has gone around and around, snaking its way through multiple threads, and is, slowly but surely, making its way back to the beginning.

I think the original problem began with Vidcaps. FWIW, I agree that Vidcaps should have no "Sourced Spoilers" as everyone likes to LOOK AT THE PICTURES (human nature). Veruca's thread is sacred territory, and why take the time/trouble to write/ read the SOTS or Vote when you already know the outcome?

In and of themselves, "Sourced Spoilers" are not the problem. The problem is the proclivity of the Posters to make comments on threads that will spoil (sorry) the fun for lots of other people. I DO think the "Sourced Spoilers" should have some kind of warning. I am not sure why that is soooo hard.

OFG, I would think that you, of all people, would sympathize with the attitude of the "Un-Sourced Spoilers" feelings on this subject. I remember one season when you were watching weather forecasts and calculating rainfall to determine whether Survivors could be dehydrated. I was always amazed by the sheer volume of information you contributed to the Editing and Vidcaps, and none of it was "Sourced". I would purposely read your posts to see what you had come up with, along with those of other prolific posters, some of whom, I might point out, seem to have gone missing recently.

Again, take it FWIW. I admist to being a more casusal observer than the rest of you involved in this discussion.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 07:08 PM
>>> I think the original problem began with Vidcaps. FWIW, I agree that Vidcaps should have no "Sourced Spoilers" as everyone likes to LOOK AT THE PICTURES (human nature).

No, the problem has surfaced in other topics. The vidcaps thing was just a timely example.

>>> Why take the time/trouble to write/ read the SOTS or Vote when you already know the outcome?

I've yet to see a week that we knew everything. I rarely vote when everyone knows the boot. Actually I stopped voting regularly years ago, because when I played spoiler island, people would make picks based on my vote. At that time, long ago, when the sourced picks came out after the game lockdown, amazingly enough, people all too often copied my vote for purposes of games, so I stopped doing it.

>>> In and of themselves, "Sourced Spoilers" are not the problem. The problem is the proclivity of the Posters to make comments on threads that will spoil (sorry) the fun for lots of other people. I DO think the "Sourced Spoilers" should have some kind of warning. I am not sure why that is soooo hard.

Well, it is. We are not used to the sourced spoilers being segregated. We are used to being able to work in all the topics other than the Editing.

>>> OFG, I would think that you, of all people, would sympathize with the attitude of the "Un-Sourced Spoilers" feelings on this subject. I remember one season when you were watching weather forecasts and calculating rainfall to determine whether Survivors could be dehydrated. I was always amazed by the sheer volume of information you contributed to the Editing and Vidcaps, and none of it was "Sourced". I would purposely read your posts to see what you had come up with, along with those of other prolific posters, some of whom, I might point out, seem to have gone missing recently.

I don't understand the point. There is no group of Source-only spoilers here. We all do whatever it takes to figure it out, whether to research weather or put on our hip waders and slog through Sucks.

What I don't sympathize with is people who want to stay pure so that they can have a track record for picking based on editing, trying to shape the rest of the forum.

Maybe we should look at Veruca's behavior as a model. Many moons ago, she announced that she was going to stay unspoiled, and because of that, she would NOT BE READING other topics. Not the interviews, the vidcaps, the blog, the voting, the clues, nada.

Veruca would never dream of asking the rest of the topics to stay spoiler free in order to help her stay unspoiled. She knew what she needed to do, and that was to not read anything but her own topic.

Posted by michel on 11-08-10 at 08:32 PM

>What I don't sympathize with is
>people who want to stay
>pure so that they can
>have a track record for
>picking based on editing, trying
>to shape the rest of
>the forum.

If this is addressed to me (and it sure looks that way because there's practically no one else posting in the editing thread at the moment), I'll have you note that I never said anything about any other thread than the editing. Knowledge from Source Spoiler was being passed as analysis so I called it for what it was.

The rest of the forum, I enter or not at my own risk. In THIS thread, I simply mentioned that vidcap analysis should be...vidcap analysis but I didn't demand anything, just suggested.
BTW, I don't give a damn about track records, I do it for fun.

As for the effort of writing a warning, I think it's much worse to have a season wasted than to write a simple warning.

>Maybe we should look at Veruca's
>behavior as a model.
>Many moons ago, she announced
>that she was going to
>stay unspoiled, and because of
>that, she would NOT BE
>READING other topics. Not
>the interviews, the vidcaps, the
>blog, the voting, the clues,
>nada.

But that was her choice. Are you imposing it on others? Anyway, that's what I've had to do this season. (And when I announced I wouldn't be reading your posts, you jumped all over me!!!!)

Still, I should point out that this does't quite match with "to Each his Own"?
Georgianna had a great post that should be read again.

Posted by Georjanna on 11-13-10 at 00:59 AM
Thank you for noticing, Michel.

G

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-13-10 at 02:23 AM
What I was saying about Veruca was that she realized it was an exception to ask for an unspoiled topic of her own. She realized that she was the exception. She had no intention of opening the door to people complaining about spoilers in the forum because they had gotten used to having an unspoiled topic and then wanted to expand territory.

This whole debate is not centered on you, michel. You don't seem to realize that. It's about complaints that have been made in topics other than editing, topics you don't even seem to read. So how could you understand where I'm coming from?

Posted by michel on 11-13-10 at 04:19 AM
>This whole debate is not centered on you,
>michel. You don't seem to realize that.
>It's about complaints that have been made
>in topics other than editing, topics
>you don't even seem to read.
>So how could you understand where I'm coming from?

I was ONLY refering to this previouscomment you made:

>What I don't sympathize with is
>people who want to stay
>pure so that they can
>have a track record for
>picking based on editing, trying
>to shape the rest of
>the forum.

Funny, I had quoted it to make it clear which topic I was refering to. That IS the editing thread.

Posted by Rayne on 11-16-10 at 03:20 PM
Michel I believe you are the root of all this. I know I will get told about this but I believe in calling a spade a spade - I find your posts to be argumentative and condescending towards other posters.

Posted by dabo on 11-16-10 at 04:17 PM
LOL! I don't know if you are referring to something specific in this subthread or to things overall. In my view, re. things overall, the tensions have built for over a year, and missy or source spoilers in general aren't the sole cause of that, but I tend to view specific examples of those tensions boiling up as symptoms of the problem.

In some cases, yes, specific posting styles may be contributing factors as well. Michel is a valuable contributor but sometimes argumentative, and prone sometimes to making comments about other posters. That sort of thing should be avoided, if only because it tends to take threads off topic. It hasn't been helpful to have Veruca's thread go off topic in that way, obviously, but I have tried to view such matters as symptomatic.

Some things are better handled by PMs to the parties concerned, unpleasant as that may become, or even by alerts to the administration as a last resort (they are busy enough).

Or we could have designated controversy threads I suppose.

Posted by michel on 11-17-10 at 06:51 PM
Welcome to the boards Rayne and thank you for noticing me!
PS: I think many would get offended at being called a spade.

Dabo, the comments based on spoilers is what took things off topic in Veruca's thread. We've argued a few times but I think I have always respected you. If anything offended you, it must have been a misunderstanding because I never meant to do that.

As for PMs, I got a very pleasant exhange with one poster and we buried the hatchet but my Peace offers by PM to another one have been ignored.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-17-10 at 09:17 PM
>>> my Peace offers by PM to another one have been ignored.

It was a nice offer (only one), but it required a thoughtful answer. At the time I received it, my grandson was going into a scary and long surgery. My whole family was a little absorbed with all that was going on.

As I said below, you never know what's going on in the life of someone when you send a PM, don't assume they have nothing to do but send a reply. By the time I was able to give it my attention, you had jumped on me in Veruca's topic, and after that silliness, I decided there was no point in trying to communicate. And judging by your last post, you still can't let it go.

I like discussions, but at some point our discussions became nothing but arguments. I don't care for discussing if every point is 100% rejected and we never get anywhere. We may as well just ignore each other.

Posted by michel on 11-17-10 at 10:43 PM
I do hope your grandson has had a complete recovery or that he is well on the way.

At the time, we were exchanging 2 or 3 messages a day in the public forum so a peace offer by PM did seem like the right thing to do.

"By the time I was able to give it my attention, you had jumped on me in Veruca's topic"

Time stamps give this story: You posted in Veruca's thread on the 12th at 8:00AM (a very detailed, time comsumming post by the way and after I sent my peace offer) The post where I explained I saw it as a spoiler to Dabo was on the 15th at 9:00AM. I don't think my response or its timing constitute jumping on someone. It wasn't meant that way; I was just calling it as I saw it.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-18-10 at 10:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-10 AT 05:52 AM (EST)

Here is why I find it hard to work anything out with you. I explained to you from my perspective some of what was going on with me in not answering your PM. I told Corvis more or less the same, and we were able to agree that life hands us bigger challenges than fighting over a word or phrase in a post about a TV show.

When I explained it to you, you did respond with the appropriate good wishes, but then you went and hunted up time stamps to refute my perspective as bogus. I cannot even explain my own reasons without you arguing that my take on my own motives cannot be right.

Lastly, you cannot even acknowledge that it is NOT REASONABLE for you to first say you will NOT read any of my posts and then you DO read my post and you complain about what you see.

I did not break Veruca's guidelines. I've asked her if I did and she said not at all. It is her topic, so why can't you simply ignore my posts as you promised you would, and stop complaining that I'm breaking YOUR rules when it is HER topic?

ETA remove personal information that was OT. This whole thing is not worth arguing about. I am done with it.

Posted by michel on 11-19-10 at 00:16 AM
Look, I wanted to end this a long time ago. We are arguing over a simple television program but you make accusations that I do not appreciate.

I used time stamps to show that I didn't "Jump all over you" as was your accusation. The words I used also are far from jumping on someone.

A simple acknowledgment that you had received my PM would have done wonders and that could have been in the public forum. Note that it was out of respect that I did not mention who I had sent the peace offer to.

I can't avoid your posts when you put the subject in the title.

The tradition of the editing thread is "no spoilers allowed". The very definition of Speculation requires that one doesn't know what will happen. Writing "Shannon is dead" after episode 1, to me, was certainly based on spoiler information. The unanimous vote in Dabo's thread was proof.

I've enjoyed Survivor for 20 seasons and there are very few seasons left so having one spoiled is really not fun for me. That's why I've avoided all the other threads besides Veruca's. That's why I haven't made any demands regarding those threads. Writing SOTS used to be one of my favorite things to do but I can't do that with so much info out there. I would appreciate it if people who know don't reveal members of the F3 or make boot "predictions" in the only speculation thread we have.

I'm glad to hear that your grandson is doing well. That's the only truly important thing.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-19-10 at 00:27 AM
>>> The tradition of the editing thread is "no spoilers allowed". The very definition of Speculation requires that one doesn't know what will happen.

Look michel, I asked Veruca about it. She told me very clearly that the only thing not to go in the topic is a direct source spoiler. She told me that she has always expected that people posting in it are not only spoiled but influenced by what they know, and she welcomes their contributions.

She told me she was very surprised to see the controversy about the Shannon comment, as it certainly didn't bother her to see my posts and Squids. The controversy is what bothered her.

I cannot believe you are still going off about Episode 2 stuff.

You do not get to be the arbiter of what happens in Veruca's topic, not for me. She does.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-19-10 at 00:54 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-10 AT 05:47 AM (EST)

>>> I can't avoid your posts when you put the subject in the title.

Yes you can. There are thousands of people who can't be bothered to read through my posts, and you could be one of them.

The title was "Revisiting Veruca's Comments on (Player's Name). That is NOT a spoiler! The only reason I redact the name here is because you keep repeating that it is one. In the context of that topic with no one making a fuss about it, it was nothing but an indication that I found Veruca's comments worth revisiting.

You did not need to read my thoughts in the post and I had every expectation that you would not read them, if you were honest in what you said about avoiding them.
"OFG, Squid and Belle, I’m sorry but I won’t be reading your posts."

If you cannot be taken at your word, that is not my problem.

Posted by michel on 11-19-10 at 08:48 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-10 AT 08:48 PM (EST)

It's always fun to start the weekend with good material to read.

I enjoyed reading this:

>"You did not need to read
>my thoughts in the post and I
>had every expectation that you
>would not read them, if you
>were honest in what you said
>about avoiding them.
>If you cannot be taken at your
>word, that is not my problem."

Because I remembered that you had written:

>I don't care for discussing
>if every point is 100% rejected
>and we never get anywhere.
>We may as well just ignore
>each other."

You wrote that 3 replies ago! Seems we can't resist each other! I had made that promise to no one but myself so I asked myself if it was time to break that promise and myself agreed.
But I am confused: You were upset when I said I wouldn’t read your posts and now you seem upset that I did read one. Which is it?

This one gave me even more pleasure:

>"The title was "Revisiting
>Veruca's Comments on (Player's Name).
>That is NOT a spoiler!"

Censoring the player's name is a wonderful way of proving my point. You know it’s a spoiler so you had to remove the name from this thread. Or are you going to swear that “player name” isn’t part of the F3?

Now, this:
>“I cannot believe you are still
>going off about Episode 2 stuff.”

I am still on episode 2 because I didn’t break my promise earlier. I avoided your responses to my posts after episodes 4, 6 and 7. Your persistence is admirable. Did you have fun writing I was wrong about Alina and Brenda? I told you I don’t mind being wrong, I mind being spoiled. I’ll read those posts after the season.

As for Veruca, I don’t know her personally but I feel she wouldn’t want to be an arbiter. Anyway, original posters, even Veruca, don’t own their threads. It is an open forum and only the moderators are arbiters. I never gave orders. I only said what I would do and that was to avoid reading your posts in response to my editing thoughts. I can certainly decide what I can or can’t do.
(Actually, I have not read a single direct response of yours to my editing thoughts; your F3 spoiler was in response to a whole curl of posts. You probably meant it mostly for me but I don’t want to be too presumptuous!).

Est-ce un adieu ou un au revoir?

"Stop Now"
Posted by dabo on 11-19-10 at 09:50 PM
Swearing the player isn't F3 would be just as much of a spoiler as swearing the player is F3, this argument is over as of now.

Posted by dabo on 11-18-10 at 02:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-18-10 AT 02:15 AM (EST)

As I said above, I have been regarding various things as symptoms of a problem that has been growing for over a year, indicative of tensions on the forum. The incidents on Veruca's thread among them.

In the first instance you determined for yourself to no longer read posts on that thread from certain posters. As a decision for yourself you are entitled to read or not read anything you want, well and fine. You then elected to post on that thread about that decision, naming those whose posts you would no longer be reading. In terms of the focus of that thread that was entirely off topic and served no useful purpose.

I do not know that you had any motive in posting that; the generous view is that you wanted to inform those posters why you would not be responding to their posts (which could be done by other means), the ungenerous view is that you wished to affect how others reading that thread would view those posters and their posts, the middle view is that you just didn't think about it and there was no motive. In any event, some dozens of posts then resulted which could be deleted from that thread without losing anything in terms of discussions and observations about the editing of the show. I hated to see that thread go off topic in that manner. But it was symptomatic of systemic tension, in my view. We've all been getting a bit distressed.

Posted by michel on 11-18-10 at 07:37 PM
>In terms of the focus of
>that thread that was entirely
>off topic and served no useful purpose."

The purpose was to say to those who knew what was going to happen that they could present their knowledge as speculation if they wanted but I wouldn't be buying. As for how it would affect other readers, I was thinking of those who venture into spoilers only for the editing thread and hate spoilers.

"I hated to see that
>thread go off topic in
>that manner."

I hated it also but I was attacked for stating my position.

Posted by dabo on 11-08-10 at 01:47 PM
The Vote Thread has an advisory already. Spoiling isn't banned there, spoilers are expected, but it is requested that spoiling be limited to the week in question. That's not a rule, it is a request. If anyone has any suggestions about how that might be reworded for more clarity, great, I'm open to suggestions.

"Spoiler Free Zones"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-08-10 at 04:40 PM
Spoiling should be expected in the Spoiler Forum, but if the unspoiled want to create a discussion thread as a "Spoiler Free Zone", they should be welcome to do so. However, to be effective, it should be labled clearly, with the expectations for that thread clearly outlined up front. I'm sure the spoilers will do their best to respect that request within that thread.

Again, the burden of remaining unspoiled within the Spoiler Forum falls on the unspoiled. They should be responsible for creating and identifying their "safe havens" within this Forum. We spoilers will, of course, do the best we can to accommodate them.

Krautboy

"Vidcap Threads"
Posted by dabo on 11-08-10 at 01:31 PM
Hey, see what I did there! This post off the main post has a sub-heading subject, this sub-section could be devoted entirely to a topical vidcap threads discussion. That is an example of one of the things we can do here at Blows, how we can take advantage of the threaded programming here, employ an option we have here that isn't available on other sites. Nothing against those sites but wading through page after page of sequentially arranged posts is not condusive to certain types of sanely organized discussions. I'll get back to this.

Okay, consensus. Consensus is basically just a general agreement or understanding about how things are, how we do things. We've had that in the past and we need to get back to having that. That's what I meant by consensus. It doesn't have to be formalized as a contract or anything, the consensus we had before resulted from evolution in the forum as much as from having some guidelines about comportment from AyaK and Webby.

The past is important, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. It formed us here. Blows went from a very chaotic spoiling site to a very organized spoiling site, it took intent and discipline and some investment in rules, making it work, to do that. And it doesn't have to be complicated; it just has to be understood, and we each have to have the discipline to follow it.

Krautboy has some good suggestion above, some easy things to do and be organized and disciplined. Spoiler warnings in a spoiler forum were always a bit insane, it is after all a spoiler forum. Want a Speculation Only thread each week, that could work, just make it clear it is the weekly Speculation Only thread. We could actually have a few more definitions and hopefully not get too complicated. Veruca's editing threads are actually Analysis threads, we stay on topic in those threads because we understand it is about the editing, what we've already seen. Are there more breakdowns we could consider?

Okay, back to vidcap threads! With the sub-headings we can break weekly vidcap threads into two sections without having to have duplicate threads. How could we work it? Good question. Whoever starts the thread could then immediately post one sub-heading, Visual Analysis Only Section. And then post another sub-heading, Full-On Spoiling Below This Point! Yeah, you might want to come up with a better way of saying that. Anyway, done this way everyone would be able to open the vidcap threads and get what they want from them, it just takes the discipline to make it work.

Would this be too complicated? Well, actually, yes, it might be; and it is not a model of how every thread could be done. With just one promo it could work fairly easily, but more promos come out each week and other visuals, photos, are released each week. So, yes, it could be too unweildy to really work. Maybe we could try it for a week or two and see how it goes, see if it can work, find out what other bugs there may be in the prototypes.

And I'll be honest with you here about something: My least favorite solution is a Speculation Forum. I like having everything organized, I really do, but I also like having it all here where I can find it. But that's me and, hey, that's on the table for discussion as well.

"RE: Vidcap Threads"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 06:34 PM
It would be way too complicated, dabo. Please don't even go there with a compartmentalized Vidcap topic. We can't even keep it organized as to the different promos and challenges.

There seems to be a misconception floating around that there are vidcap spoilers and there are spoilers who read sources, and that if we run out of sources, we'll have turned away the pool of people who do non-sourced analysis.

This doesn't bear up under scrutiny. Look at who is doing the heavy lifting in the vidcap topic. All people who also read sources. These are the people doing the analysis, but being told to censor their thought process.

A complaint was made by someone who did not make any contribution to the analysis, who was only reading. That is ridiculous. People here are spoiling for the sake of the process and the results, not performing a public service to non-contributors. Readers are WELCOME as long as they don't tell people what they can and can't say!

Posted by Oingo on 11-08-10 at 07:49 PM
Well I thought it was a great idea.

"That is ridiculous." Hmm, so much for the respectful environment we all say we like so much.

"Readers are WELCOME" uh, maybe not so much.

I won't be missing much anyway. I've had to stop reading many of the threads and some people who were otherwise interesting. Whatever.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 07:56 PM
Sorry, I respect the poster and welcome everybody. But I think it is wrong to stand outside a group of people who are doing work, and say "do this work" because I like it but "don't add this to the work" because I don"t want to see it." I would never do that if I wanted to go unspoiled, thus I labeled it ridiculous that we even need to address it.

I'd like to see some comments from people who actually work on the vidcaps as to the functionality of the proposal. Is that so odd?

Again, I refer everyone to Veruca as a model of the person who decides to go unspoiled, who contributes to the community, and who never complains about what people do outside of her own insulated corner.

Posted by dabo on 11-08-10 at 10:30 PM
Thank you. OFG and I are old friends here at Blows, we know we can still be friends at the end of the day. She knows I am somewhat literally minded and took no offense.

I don't think it is ridiculous but I do realize it would be clunky. The people who have started vidcap threads can tell you first hand, it is a clunky process posting all those vidcaps, and it replicates every time there is a new promo or batch of photos to bring over. Duplicate vidcap threads wouldn't be any less clunky in that respect.

So, I see an advantage in keeping it to one vidcap thread a week with a discipline for strict visual analysis in one section and open spoiling in another section. That is a more complicated way of doing it, and it very well could prove to be too complicated to sustain.

Anyway, a blanket thank you shout-out to all the people who post vidcap threads, that is a lot of work. Every single time.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 11:00 PM
It is indeed work, and I thank FlowerPower for being there so consistently, and Squid for picking it up when FloPo isn't around. Three cheers!

The reason I am cynical about the partition idea is I've already seen on threads like the missyae topic how convoluted and hard to follow the topics get when people try to organize sections.

If I balk at separate conversations, it may be because I already follow 5 or 6 separate conversations about Survivor, follow and contribute, not to mention emails. That can't be helped from board to board, but to have fractured discourse going on within one topic and one forum seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Posted by michel on 11-08-10 at 08:54 PM
>"Look at who is doing the heavy
>lifting in the vidcap topic.
>All people who also read sources."

Maybe, just maybe, vidcappers are only those that are aware of Missyae's spoiling because others know not to enter there anymore. If this community was in full growth, I'd understand but, as far as I can tell, the number of posters has greatly decreased over the years so maybe something is wrong.

For some reason, I was reminded of Clay's funniest moment.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 10:53 PM
>>> Maybe, just maybe, vidcappers are only those that are aware of Missyae's spoiling because others know not to enter there anymore.

I don't think so. This is week 9 and everyone who knows stuff has been quiet until now, and there hasn't been anything remotely like a boot list discussed there.

Some people haven't been enjoying the casting.

There's another group of people who love to spoil and play the fantasy games. They know they cannot be competitive unless they choose to seek out all the knowledge, so maybe they decide not to play, and choosing not to play dampens their interest in doing the spoiling. Or they don't want to spoil knowing that a bunch of people know the outcome already and it seems not so worthwhile as it used to.

Those people are discouraged because very thorough spoilers exist, not so much that they exist in certain topics.

Posted by Corvis on 11-09-10 at 12:05 PM
Um, I haven't gone to the vidcap threads because I was afraid of seeing source spoilers so I don't contribute to figuring vidcaps out. I can't imagine I'm the only one. To say that the only people who do vidcap analysis is the spoilers who use sources is to ignore the fact that there hasn't been a safe place for spoilers who don't use sources to do vidcap analysis. Now maybe the vidcap thread is a safe one - I don't know but I certainly can't count on it.

I would love a vidcap thread that was clear of sources. But I'm just one person and would never think of trying to remake this board into something just for me.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-09-10 at 12:26 PM
Hi Corvis: It seems to me that Vidcap analysis is a spoiling area that is pretty easy to do without involving sourced spoilers. It is much more objective in nature and involves less speculation than other areas.

Why don't we just try it next week as a "Sourced-Spoiler Free Zone" and see how it works?

Start the thread, label it clearly, outlining the expectations for posters, and let's give it a shot!

Krautboy

Posted by Brownroach on 11-09-10 at 01:16 PM
Ditto this. I don't see why source spoilers would need to be referenced in the vidcap analysis. The thread by nature has a very narrow focus: What can we determine from these images?

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-09-10 at 01:31 PM
I think for the most part, vidcaps are safe to go into, if you don't mind knowing that week's boot...although I assume I may see something I don't want to know yet... For example, last week, someone wrote some missy info about more than this week.

Is there a white-out feature -- i don't know what you call it -- where you have to highlight the blank area to see the text??
Would missy-spoiled people be willing to use that feature in vidcaps if they want to make comments about longer-term spoils?? Then you only need 1 thread.

Posted by dabo on 11-09-10 at 02:25 PM
hidden text. scroll over this post to find the hidden text.
Here's Waldo!
Just put in square bracket "font color="dddddd"
then text of message
then in square brackets "/font"
Here's Carmen!
You can click on "reply with quotes" on any post to see the coding (if any) used in that post. but not in locked threads of course

Posted by Corvis on 11-10-10 at 10:02 AM
I wouldn't want to know the week's boot and would stay out of the vidcap thread if that was going to to discussed there. I imagine there are others who feel the same way.

Posted by Corvis on 11-10-10 at 10:14 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 11:39 AM (EST)

It would only work if people didn't reference source spoilers in those threads. OFG, for one, is arguing that that is impossible. And below, rachel said it'd be okay if you don't mind knowing the boot for that week. I would mind.

(And for me, it's moot for the rest of this season anyway because I inadvertently saw 2 of the Final 3 for this season in the interview thread - my fault - don't blame anyone else - this is the spoiler forum).

Honestly, while I would like to come to consensus, I don't think that's possible. OFG is too determined to make this a place where sources are discussed in all threads (except Veruca's) and fighting with her about it is really unpleasant for me. After this season, I'll most likely leave again and even avoid innocuous threads like the interview one from now on.

"Counter Proposal"
Posted by dabo on 11-10-10 at 11:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 11:09 AM (EST)

And I'm sure many peoples' heads just exploded. I mean: How can anyone possibly know what it is that someone else doesn't want to know?

Vidcaps are useful for trying to pick out certain things, like who ends up on what tribe after a switch. But promos are source spoilers really, they just happen to come from CBS and have a different context from missy spoilers and so on.

So, instead of trying to readjust the vidcap threads, how about we have weekly Speculation Threads but they can include vidcaps for purely visual analysis? Those threads could be sub-sectioned, other things could be included, like if I continue doing the confessional counts I wouldn't mind copying those into the Spec threads as well. Some weeks these threads might be clunkier than other weeks, perhaps, but we could give it a try and see how it works.

Then the problems are

1) What should be included in those threads, ie. what should the sub-sections be?

2) Who is going to do the work to bring what material into those threads? It really isn't fair to expect FloPo or Squid to duplicate their efforts if they don't want to volunteer to do it, and it is work.

Let's do appreciate the work that has to go into things, by the way. It isn't just vidcaps that are work, SOTS are work, the effort put into the editing thread is work, this stuff takes some dedication and determination every week.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-10-10 at 12:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 12:28 PM (EST)

Corvis, I just read through the last three vidcap threads, and there is no mention of the spoiled boot in any of them. Not one mention. So I don't know where rachel got the idea that there are boot spoilers in the vidcap threads.

The only inclusion of a source spoiler was regarding this week's immunity winner, but, as has been pointed out, that was spoilable from the vidcaps anyway. One direct quote from missyae was posted in the Ep 7 thread but it merely pointed out that the promos were showing two challenges and said the reward would be horseback riding.

Everything else was entirely about the content of the images and what could be discerned from them. No boot spoilers, no challenge winner spoilers, just vidcap analysis.

So if people as a matter of course are refraining from mentioning spoilers in the vidcap thread without even (apparently) thinking about it, I don't see why it can't continue to be done in general practice and out of courtesy to those who want to remain unsourced. Krautboy thinks it's feasible, and so do I.

(edited to re-add the rest of my original post, which for some reason disappeared in transit.)

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-10-10 at 01:29 PM
Hi BR, one of the (minor) boot spoilers were apparently edited out after a poster reacted to reading it. Someone's final placement was inadvertently mentioned to help solidify a point that was made in the thread.

Posted by Corvis on 11-10-10 at 01:34 PM
Hi Brownroach,

This exchange below in my mind shows that talking about source spoilers, namely missyae, does happen in the vidcap thread. Before editing, kiki posted the next 2 boots. And then OFG says quite clearly who the episode 10 boot will be.

I want to be extra-clear that I am not mad at anyone for doing that. It's the spoiler forum. I get that.

Maybe this week was an aberration, but as OFG says in that thread:

"It is the spoiler forum. Is there something in the guidelines that says no long term spoilers in the vidcaps topic?"

The answer to her question is, of course, no.

Corvis

I have removed the names of the Survivors people are talking about in the part of the thread I copy and pasted below so folks won't be spoiled reading it. But if you want to be extra careful, don't read any further.

kiki_k 829 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"
11-04-10, 05:33 PM (EST)

2. "RE: Ep 8 Vidcaps"

LAST EDITED ON 11-04-10 AT 08:17 PM (EST)

I'm pretty sure missyae said XXXX wins one IC -- I'm pretty sure this is the one XXXX wins.

eta: to take out boot list spoilers.

Slider 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"
11-04-10, 07:05 PM (EST)

6. "RE: Ep 8 Vidcaps"

Hey,TMI. Not all of us in this thread want to know the next 2 boots.

Outfrontgirl 5288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"
11-04-10, 09:29 PM (EST)

8. "RE: Ep 8 Vidcaps"

It is the spoiler forum. Is there something in the guidelines that says no long term spoilers in the vidcaps topic?

We know from spoilers that XXXX wins an immunity before YYYY goes, and XXXX hasn't won one yet.

We also know that ZZZZ gets booted next time.

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-10-10 at 02:12 PM
BR!!! I can't believe you doubted me!!
(Insert DRAMA here)

ha ha ~~ just kidding!! ;) ;)

Happy SURVIVOR Day everyone!!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 04:48 PM
I absolutely admit to putting the spoiler back in that kiki edited out after the complaint. That is, I never saw kiki's post prior to editing, but I gathered that's what she mentioned. My point was that in this case the spoiler gave us a framework and was useful in conjunction with the vidcaps.

I have been watching what I say in the Vidcaps topic, and that wouldn't have been posted by me if not that the complaint didn't have a guideline to stand on, and it irritated me.

Posted by Corvis on 11-10-10 at 05:11 PM
"I have been watching what I say in the Vidcaps topic, and that wouldn't have been posted by me if not that the complaint didn't have a guideline to stand on, and it irritated me."

Just wanted to emphasize this statement for everyone as a reason why the nice idea of a vidcap thread with no mention of sources just won't work. If you irritate OFG, watch out, she'll spoil the upcoming boots whether you like it or not.

And this is not whining. She has every right to do what she did, according to the rules of the forum. And I'm sure she'll continue to do it.

Especially if you irritate her.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 09:33 PM
No, if there's an actual consensus among the group not to post spoilers there, I'll respect that. What irritated me was having someone with 15 posts, who doesn't contribute, coming out of the woodwork and telling kiki it was TMI -- when there was NO rule and NO consensus, and kiki's post totally belonged in the context as confirmation of the vidcap analysis.

One of my issues with this idea about vidcaps, is that the kind of additional ground we could spoil will be left unsleuthed. Sure we will get information A. But we are not allowed to add Sourced Information B to A, which could get us to C. Some people may enjoy stopping at A, but I'm playing for C.

There's a Dr. Seuss book about that, I think it's called On Beyond Zebra, about not wanting to stop at Z.

Posted by michel on 11-10-10 at 10:42 PM
>>Sure we
>will get information A.
>But we are not allowed
>to add Sourced Information B
>to A, which could get
>us to C.

OFG, you know that there is no one preventing you from using Information B. If B is common knowledge among those reading Missyea then, knowing A, there should be no need to repeat Information B in the thread containing A to get to C.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-11-10 at 02:00 AM
The collective process needs for all the available information to be on the table, michel, if it's to go as far as it can.

You are wrong about this in part because you don't know what it's like to have to remember stuff from a topic that long and unorganized. You have this idea of common knowledge. Some is well remembered, some half-remembered, some slips out of people's awareness.

I sure don't sit down and review that topic with my morning coffee.

See, the thing that bugs me is when someone who doesn't even look in these topics makes assumptions of what's there and what people know. If you haven't been reading, you have no idea, because it's in a very different format than any season before now.

Posted by michel on 11-11-10 at 08:48 AM
Sorry to bug you but the "collective" process isn't going to be helped by telling someone who doesn't want to know. They aren't part of he collective. Info A could just as easily be lifted from the vidcap thread and brought to the thread that has info B to get to C. Why does B have to be brought to A? I don't need to read a thread to use logic.

And, again, I know that there's nothing to prevent your way of proceeding, that it's the way the forum is set up. I just mentioned this because Dabo asked for suggestions. Suggestions aren't meant to bug anyone especially when there's no way to enforce them.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-10-10 at 05:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 05:49 PM (EST)

Okay, sorry for the mistake, I didn’t see the post with the boots before it was edited. Also, in counting back I missed the previous vidcap thread (also labeled Episode 8) because I was confused by the episode numbers.

*** we interrupt this post to point out that both this week and last week were labeled Episode 8 on the forum. Tonight’s ep is actually Episode 9 ***

So I went through the vidcap threads all the way to Episode 1. Out of a total of 267 vidcap thread posts, only 4 posts referred to missyae spoilers (I am excluding the two posts in this week's thread for this discussion), each in a different week's thread. One included the Ep's boot, which was apparently deleted later; one included a non-specific longevity spoiler and a game-related spoiler; one included the week’s IC winners; and one, which I mentioned above, spoiled that there would be two challenges and also the horseback riding reward.

In no case was there further discussion of the missyae info in the vidcap thread; it was confined to a single post. And, the info did not add to the vidcap discussion in a way that its absence would have made a difference (imo).

4 out of 267 is less than 2% of the posts. If 98+% of the time people aren’t referring to or discussing source spoilers in the vidcap thread anyway, is it really such an inconvenience to not do it at all?

I wrote the above in response to what Corvis said but since ofg posted in the interim I would like to address her comments too, though it may have to wait until later as I am a bit swamped. But, quickly -- yes the vidcap analysis was always supposed to help spoil the current week's boot, and that needn't and shouldn't change.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 09:44 PM
wow, I appreciate you doing that research, BR.

>>> 4 out of 267 is less than 2% of the posts. If 98+% of the time people aren’t referring to or discussing source spoilers in the vidcap thread anyway, is it really such an inconvenience to not do it at all?

Well, the numbers are skewed, because the lack of reference and discussion is a direct outcome of responding to disapproval. There's no way to know what the conversation would be like without the disapproval.

For example, I spoil with another group where I would say 100% of the topics make reference to spoilers as an organic part of the conversation, because no one there is going to have a fit. So yes, I have to completely change the way I express my thinking in order to frame it for the situation here, and I got sick of it because it wasn't fun, so that's why I started the conversation.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 05:01 PM
OK, I just caught up with this subsection. The problem with the vidcap topic for someone who doesn't want to know THIS week's boot, is that whether or not there are source spoilers mentioned, it's always been a focus of that topic to try to spoil the coming episode.

Going way back to the old OFG theory (if I may mention some history), that was nothing more than looking at who was featured and not featured in the promos and speculating on the boot. The vidcap topic has never been only about challenges; we use it in conjunction with the teasers and other info to spoil the ongoing week, and every so often to spoil future episodes when we get some footage.

Now it is true that the vidcap evidence will almost never show us, straight out, who is leaving, but the discussion is pointed at getting there.

This is true for people who want to do what Snidget and Oingo have termed "light" spoiling, going week by week, which would include CTGirl's preferred level of spoiling. I cannot see it ever being suitable for people who want to sit down and watch the episode with no clue about who's going home.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-08-10 at 08:07 PM
First thank you Dabo for starting this thread. I have been aware and have appreciated the little things you have done this season to try to make the Survivor forums fun again. We are in a tough situation because we all have different ideas – and no one is wrong – and it’s hard to come to a consensus. However, I feel I need to put my opinion in because I don’t just want to disappear. I think I am speaking for some of the people who have already stopped spoiling because I am about to follow that route.

To use LFJ’s analogy – the missy spoilers have created a virus in the spoiler forum. I don’t want to blame the people who follow them because it is common knowledge and they have a right to use that knowledge in spoiling but it has changed the tenor of the forum. I used to be a hardcore spoiler and now I don’t enjoy it at all and my participation has dropped off. I don’t care what the protocol was 10 years ago. Missy’s spoilers have changed the playing field and we need new rules to play by. My vote goes to making certain threads source spoiler free and to label threads where source spoiling is welcome.

I especially think sourced spoilers should not be allowed in vidcap threads. It makes us lazy; maybe someday missy will be wrong! It also keeps the people who are only trying to go week-by-week in spoiling from sharing in the fun. It’s too late to change this season, but at the minimum (if we have the same amount of spoilage for Russell vs. Rob) I would like to see threads labeled whether they were spoiler vs. speculation. A speculation forum would be great, but I know it takes a while for a new forum to be created and I don’t think there are enough people like me left to warrant it. A personal example of a recent experience I had in the vidcap thread. I misread a post (it was in reply to someone else, and I thought it was in reply to me) saying that it didn’t matter what *** had on in trying to see if *** was wearing the immunity necklace because missy already told us that *** had won immunity. I was trying to have a little vidcap fun but the sourced spoilers had already moved on. The reason why they’re doing all the heavy lifting is because there is nothing left for the non-source spoiled people left to do. The people who are following missy’s every word are driving other people away. Blows is not the same forum that it used to be. It seems to me that the pro-sourced spoilers are creating an all or nothing scenario and I’d like to see some compromise.

Posted by dabo on 11-08-10 at 10:42 PM
Thank you. I sometimes think I am the only one left with a healthy distrust of source spoilers. Missy has a good track record but so what, Zenyatta lost her last race, no one's perfect. And they aren't all coming from missy anyway.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-08-10 at 10:43 PM
I think you misread that post, CT, because I was the one who said it didn't matter if we could see the necklace clearly. However, what I said was not that it didn't matter because of the spoiler. I said it didn't matter because we had a clear view of everyone but that person at TC and could see *** was the only one who could be wearing it, by process of elimination.

Someone else added that there was a corroborating spoiler, but no one disparaged the vidcap analysis. I am sure everyone here enjoys a good vidcap spoiler. Mind you, I saw that shot on my TV when "next time" aired -- on my TV I could see very well that only one person could be wearing the necklace, and I didn't need vidcaps to know. CBS threw that one at us in high def wide shot of Tribal Council.

I do get frustrated by the limitations, because for one thing, the stuff I want spoiled doesn't get solved. I have numerous questions about what will happen next episode, that we could go after if people weren't unwilling to know the basic spoilers we have.

We need to present what we know in order to get more of the picture. I really want to know what happens on the episode. We haven't even come close to figuring out the teasers for this week.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-09-10 at 03:49 AM
Thanks CTgirl, wonderful post. Most worthy on a thread entitled to restore sanity I believe your words are providing an antidote!

Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-08-10 at 11:10 PM
Hello! I've been totally spoiled the last 2 seasons, and this season, I've been trying to not be "missy" spoiled. I said earlier about the SOTS, that I don't mind being spoiled for that week, but knowing the long-term boot list/final 3 at this point -- well, just trying not to... I feel like a newbie that shouldn't have a vote, but I'm one that has stopped reading a lot of stuff because I've seen info I didn't want to see, and I "don't go because I don't want to know"!

A speculation thread would be nice; However, I originally did seek out spoilers; I enjoy spoilers; So I assume I'll seek them out again. I have enjoyed spoilers that are figured out by people on this forum -- you know, seeing an immunity necklace around someone's neck or something like that; Just hearing a list from missy isn't as exciting to me at the moment...

So if no spec thread, how about having a vidcap thread with NO COMMENTS, then have two comments threads (yes, 3 threads for each week; perhaps too much...) One comment thread for missy spoiled people; and one for spec analysis? The problem is, for non-spoiled people, some comments made by missy spoiled people share too much -- they might not say exactly so-&-so is in the final 3 or something like that, but they hint, or agree with someone's spec, or give too much away when you read-between-the-lines, knowing the writer is missy spoiled....if you follow that?!?

Thanks to you all for all you do!! Rachel.

Posted by dabo on 11-09-10 at 01:26 AM
Welcome. You have a very good point, the voice-overs and dialogs aren't needed for the pure visual analysis of what is shown in vidcaps/photos. Or not shown, as in so-and-so is obviously not wearing the II in this TC shot. That stuff is very valuable in other respects, it is necessary to bring that material over as well. This is something FloPo and Squid should brainstorm about, since they've been doing the chores of bringing the stuff over.

Sometimes SEG/CBS do pull some weird editing stunts. Earlier this season, before the switch, there was a very confusing gang of five set promo'ed, and even when the episode aired it wasn't clear what portions were Benry-attended and what were Sash-attended. Since dialog can be lifted and inserted, it's just a very odd and difficult thing to analyze. In confessionals, as well, it is sometimes obvious that a bit here was lifted from some other time and inserted.

Posted by LFJ on 11-09-10 at 10:29 AM
It has been inferred that READERS are not so welcome - I am not sure if that applies to opinions, or what? But, I will overlook that inference and say "CTGirl!" Nice to see a familiar "face" and have your input. You are right.

To Dabo: Yes. Thank you for trying to unravel this knot. That being said, the more I read, the more I see that several people have weighed in to say that they don't want to be "Source Spoilere(d)", and feel things were more fun - much more congenial, if you will, when some of the contributors were not slogging through all of missy's posts and bringing them over to this forum. That is not to imply that they have done so indiscriminately. or that they have done so without consideration. Nor, that the posts are not welcomed by some of the community.

In general, that leads me to this point. A strong and stubbornly held belief that is not completely based in reality can be very misleading and hard to discern. Confabulation can be very difficult to spot, IOW, but it is a great defense mechanism and often used to manipulate situations. It makes a "show" of reason where no reason exists.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-09-10 at 12:12 PM
Survivor Message Board Forums Conferences Moderator Forum Information

Survivor Fanatic Forum
For those fans who truly LIKE THE SHOW and care who wins the $1,000,000.

NOTE: Do not post any spoilers here -- they will be deleted and your account will be deactivated!

Survivor Basher Forum
This board is for those who came here because the show "blows" and would like a place to bash it

Survivor Spoilers Forum
Exclusively for the discussion of possible Survivor spoilers and their speculation

Krautboy

Posted by LFJ on 11-09-10 at 12:33 PM
"Survivor Spoilers Forum
Exclusively for the discussion of possible Survivor spoilers and their speculation"

The inclusion of the word "speculation" suggeste the Forum provides for threads that are precisely for that purpose. The introduction of "Sourced Spoilers" into threads intended for speculation effectively terminates speculation. The two may be mutually exclusive, or incompatible at least. Just a thought.

Posted by dabo on 11-09-10 at 02:38 PM
Yes, speculation and spoiling have always been combined into this single forum. And even if we were to have a Speculation forum speculation would still be part of the spoiler forum.

I am not opposed to a Speculation forum being created here, but I will be honest and say that is not what I would prefer. If that is a result of all this, okay, I'll get behind it and let's all do the work to make it work.

Speculation in general, though, is just a term that encompasses pretty much everything that isn't a leak, a source.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 06:41 PM
There is a difference between speculation that is spoiler free and speculation about the spoilers. The possessive "their" in this clause clearly shows that speculation is to be about the spoilers.

the discussion of possible Survivor spoilers and their speculation

The use of "and" clearly shows it is not EITHER Spoilers OR Speculation. There is no language that excludes spoilers in any way. It is Spoilers PLUS any speculation that is productive regarding the spoilers.

This is a recognized rule of engagement on various forums. For example, The Fuselage for LOST had a forum for pure speculation that was Spoiler Free, and a Spoiler forum where speculation was only allowed if it was clearly tied to a spoiler.

Survivor Sucks has a Spec only forum, and in the Spoiler forum, all spec is to be based on a spoiler or Anti will delete the post.

Blows has always discouraged pure speculation in this forum. There used to be a resident flame-thrower to get rid of it. Obviously, vidcaps and promos and interviews which had the wherewithal to spoil the show were considered valid spoilers, and speculation analyzing these spoilers flourished.

As time went on, analyzing a player's "edit" gained enough recognition that it wasn't tossed as pure speculation. Corvis pioneered confessional analysis as spoiling. And so forth.

In sum, this forum has always been for spoilers, and anything that one can defend as being a useful spoiler has been allowed, along with spoiler-related speculation. It is not a Speculation forum!

If the mods want a speculation forum or if they decree that source spoilers need to be brought in wearing the HazMat suits and signs, that is their call.

Posted by michel on 11-09-10 at 09:15 PM
"the discussion of possible Survivor spoilers and their speculation"

That is exactly why I do not make any demands on spoiler free zones outside the editing thread.

BUT, it has also been a long standing rule of thumb that 1 thread for 1 spoiler.

In other words: Missyae spoilers should be in the missyae thread, vidcaps spoilers in the vidcap thread. That enables one to get as much or as little info as one wants. Too bad that discipline gets equated to effort or that winning a game becomes more important than respecting your neighbour.

FWIW, Vidcaps are only spoilers because of CBS' laziness. They really are promos and therefore are a way to make people like the show, make them fanatics. Imagine if we'd bring vidcaps and our experts to Fanatics!!!!

"Blows has always discouraged pure speculation in this forum. There used to be a resident flame-thrower to get rid of it."

I'd enjoy Shakes' return!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 10:56 PM
well, we agree on part of this, anyhow, michel

I agree that promos should not be spoilers, but as I learned with LOST and I think you saw as well, some fans turn off the TV before seeing the "next week." How they avoid ads during the week I don't know, but the far end of Fanatics spectrum could be promo-free. I'm not sure; I've never posted there other than this little bit this season.

As far as I know, there is no 1 thread 1 spoiler rule of thump on Blows. That is a Sucks guideline. The rule here is not to duplicate topics, and the practice has evolved into minimizing the number of discussions while still having separate topics for media, print teasers, vidcaps, SOTS, votes, ECST, and topics that don't fit under the umbrella of the episode topics.

I would think you would know this, as you post at Sucks, but the one spoiler one topic rule isn't to prevent info from bleeding over. Not at all, and there is plenty of cross-discussion and comparison of spoilers.

The rule is for any person who claims to have a legit spoiler, to man up and start a topic, and to risk getting the topic locked and the poster banned if it is bogus. It is also a courtesy to other people with their own topics of their own spoilers, not to horn in on their place in the sun. The rule has absolutely nothing to do with protecting people from seeing information. There is no protection in Spoilers there, and until Veruca's topic came along, there was never any protection here.

>>> Too bad that discipline gets equated to effort or that winning a game becomes more important than respecting your neighbour.

I never said that. You are misinterpreting me.
btw, I do respect my unspoiled neighbors. Those would be the other forums, Bashers and Fanatics. I have never shown any lack of discipline and spoiled those forums. I object to the no spoilers in Spoilers Forum on principle. Look at the guidelines on suitable content for this forum.

But I don't think you need to, because you know as well I do what they say.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 06:58 PM
Of course Readers are welcome to say what they enjoy and don't enjoy, and how this forum serves them. What I ask readers to consider is whether it is right for spectators to dictate to people who are working, how to do their work. Whether it is right to say that's not much trouble, etc.. when they have never stood in the shoes.

This story comes to mind:
The Little Red Hen
Feel free to volunteer to write a SOTS or bring vidcaps over or collect the interviews or summarize the Insider, or post the weekly clues, volunteer to post the weekly vote topic. Contribute to the serious analysis week in and week out.

Until such point, while you have every right to say what you like and don't like about reading the forum, I don't think you have earned the right to tell the people who contribute the content to the forum how they should do it.

Posted by LFJ on 11-09-10 at 08:53 PM
"What I ask readers to consider is whether it is right for spectators to dictate to people who are working, how to do their work. Whether it is right to say that's not much trouble, etc.. when they have never stood in the shoes."

Who has done this? Up to this point, just about everyone has engaged in civil discourse, without making any demands or dictating anything. Suggestions and comments have been made, questions asked - is that demanding and dictatorial? I suppose that depends on your perspective. Debate is healthy, and believe it or not, sometimes leads to improvment.

I cannot help but point out that during this "discussion" the adjectives "working", "sloshing" and "heavy lifting" have been used to describe spoiling. It doesn't sound like much fun.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 09:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-10 AT 10:29 PM (EST)

The grunt work isn't fun, LFJ. It's kind of tedious. Is there a reward for the effort? Generally, yes, and that's why we do it.

Yes, the suggestions seem demanding even if those demanding don't see it as such. Do this work for us, provide content but censor yourself for our reading preferences. Make duplicate topics if you want to be able to use a topic that you start the way you would like to use it. Do twice the work while we read.

I never said there was anything wrong with debate.

ed to fix typo and shorten post.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-09-10 at 10:34 PM
Great post, LFJ!

I agree that this has been civil discourse.

Although, there may appear to be someone who has been overtly disagreeable, having overlooked part of Dabo's original request:

"2. No Fighting. This is a thread for conversation, maybe some healthy debate, it is not an invitation to square off and go 15 rounds. Disagreements may arise, try to keep it civil and respectful, there is no reason to be disagreeable."

But I will leave that for Dabo to decide, as this is Dabo's thread. A great one at that!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 11:05 PM
Please see my post #63, Aaron. dabo took on posting this as a continuation of a discussion I started. There can only be one topic per area of discussion, so that is why I am in a sense not feeling bound by dabo's rules, as they weren't part of the rules of Part One.

Obviously I feel bound not to exercise heavy sarcasm, flaming, name-calling, and so forth. I have found other posts here to be disagreeable, including the one you just made, as you put a label on me, i.e. you described me as "overtly disagreeable" -- which is making it personal.

I disagree vigorously with the idea that the Spoiler forum should be revamped to accommodate people who don't want to read spoilers, and despite the mandate dabo put on this topic to reach consensus, as I said I started this conversation, and I don't believe consensus is a reasonable goal in this particular situation. I base my disbelief on ten years of experience with watching this debate play out on various boards. I have never seen a Spoiler forum operate healthily and harmoniously with a restriction on sourced spoilers.

Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-10-10 at 06:07 PM
Hi OFG,

Should I ask you personally that you not shoot down my opinion each time I post something in a thread that asked my opinion? I really didn't think it was necessary. Even despite the first time I posted in this thread, although your response was personally picking apart my opinion. Maybe I misunderstood your comment in stating "I'll bow out now" in Post #8, so I didn't initially respond to you. But you now have 25 or so posts in this thread, and many of those posts are in quick response to rebuke someone's opinion. (I'm not labeling you, just simply stating it as I would see it) How respectful is this?

My perception is that this is Dabo's thread, and that's just how I see it. I'm really not in need to be convinced otherwise, so I'm not exactly sure why you would take it upon yourself to do so. I haven't read the aforementioned 'other' thread, nor do I have intentions of doing so. Something that I am witnessing here is that anyone can spend their time telling me or anyone else that something is otherwise, but that is not going to make it so. Or make the sky orange, or a fish a tree-swinging monkey, or Madonna, Tori Amos.

I'm happy to watch a show in which I can speculate about an editor's manipulation of these castaways, and I'm happy to see others spoil what the outcomes may be. I'm also happy to share my thoughts in "the thread to restore sanity" because I was asked to contribute. And I'm happy to make references to other posters BEHAVIOR when I perceive them to be lacking accordance to the lead poster's request. And I'm posting this now, because I'm still happy to do so.

But please, please, please can I ask you to respect my opinion? Can I ask that you not respond to my post by saying things like, I labeled you "Miss Lacking accordance", or saying "How dare you call Dabo mr Lead Poster - I think that term should be stricken from the history of the whole history" - truly, it's insulting. It feels attacking and disrepectful (note: what I am saying here is, I feel attacked and disrespected - no other insinuation to be inferred. What I state here, right now, is not about you, but about me and my feelings and my thoughts about them)

The ironic thing is that I hear you. I really hear you, and I agree with lots of your perspective. But the delivery, oh the delivery...

Just like on the show, we've all seen the loudest players, with repetetive insisting arguments, but that just doesn't make what they say automatically become what is, just because one's behavior is loud, repetitive and insistent, doesn't make something so.

All I can assess is what I see, and I'm likely to share it when given the opportunity.

Thanks again to Dabo for that opportunity, and for anybody who can even resonate slightly to what I'm stating here and trying to get across.

And more importantly than all this, I'm looking forward to the new ep tonight!

Posted by Brownroach on 11-09-10 at 02:39 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-10 AT 02:42 PM (EST)

You have a very good point, the voice-overs and dialogs aren't needed for the pure visual analysis of what is shown in vidcaps/photos. Or not shown, as in so-and-so is obviously not wearing the II in this TC shot. That stuff is very valuable in other respects, it is necessary to bring that material over as well. This is something FloPo and Squid should brainstorm about, since they've been doing the chores of bringing the stuff over.

I don't think rachel meant not to post the voiceover and transcript, I think her idea was that people would not respond to the initial thread containing the vidcaps, but two secondary threads would be created for responses.

(I don't think multiple threads or multiple thread sections are necessary, though; as I said above I don't see why source spoilers can't easily be kept out of the vidcap analysis thread.)

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-09-10 at 07:24 PM
Before I take off to do other stuff (yay for you guys), I want to clarify why I'm taking such a large part in this topic. It's because I started the conversation. At the point where dabo felt we needed a spoiler-free version, I happened to get sick, and I asked dabo if he would continue the conversation, if it could not wait until I felt better. But I expected that Part II would continue to address the concerns I laid out in Part I, which were shared by a number of people, and so far it has not.

Shile I know that some of you have read Pt I (LFJ, Oingo), because you commented in it, no one on the source free side has acknowledged any of the pro-spoiler comments that were made in the original discussion. Not one of you has addressed them.

I took the time to copy over the topic into a spoiler-free version, and I would like to hear responses to the feelings expressed there, because this is supposed to be all one conversation.

Spoiler Forum Protocol

I presume that dabo did not link Part I because a spoiler-free version didn't exist when he put the topic up.

End of the Innocence

Posted by michel on 11-09-10 at 11:04 PM
"no one on the source free side has acknowledged any of the pro-spoiler comments that were made in the original discussion. Not one of you has addressed them."

Pro-spoiler posters are probably telling me (and others like me) not to read their posts which would be quite ironic. This all started because I said I wouldn't read posts by people with knowledge of spoilers!

I'd wish you'd ackowledge that your comments in the editing thread spoiled episode #2 for me then us two would get passed this. I hate war. Can we make peace?

"IMPOSSIBLE"
Posted by Round Robin on 11-10-10 at 04:06 AM
I've read the vast majority of the posts in the topics on this issue, and I think if we're trying to reach consensus or compromise we're trying to do the impossible. I've been on various forums for the last 10 years and change, and trust me when I say that most of the time when issues on how the forums are run come up, it is almost universally impossible to find a solution that everybody can live with, and what usually happens is that the posters who are unhappiest with the "solution" leave, some of them being among the popular posters, then those who stayed get unhappy because some of their favorite posters are gone, and the activity level drops and the forum is a lot less fun. Yes, the missyae-type spoilers of these last 3 seasons have changed this forum, but the rules have been the same for so long that people have gotten used to them and some people aren't going to accept any big changes. You're going to have unhappy people no matter what you do or don't do, and I think in the long run it would cause the fewest posters to leave if things were left as is except that topics can be labeled where appropriate. But making people walk on eggshells when they're doing something that is supposed to be fun is no solution at all.

"I Agree"
Posted by michel on 11-10-10 at 08:43 AM
I'm with you on this so I don't know why you think I'm the one that makes people walk on eggshells. My only comments came in the Editing thread, the thread in which spoilers agreed to leave spoiler-free. So, when they wrote "Shannon is dead" or "Shannon is like Ben" after episode #1, which was obviously from inside information, I had to say something.

I don't read the other threads. I didn't start the protocol threads. I only made suggestions that would have worked well with what Krautboy and Georgianna posted.

Posted by Flowerpower on 11-10-10 at 10:45 AM
To quote Krautboy:

I would like to propose that the burden of being unspoiled in the Spoilers Forum falls on the unspoiled poster and reader. Those who would like a spoiler free thread in the Spoiler Forum should make their request clear in the Subject line and in the header of their post. At the same time, those of us who are spoiled would respect those threads and avoid posting any information deemed to be "sourced".

This would apply to Veruca's editing thread, the Vote thread and the East Coast Thread.

It should not be necessary to post a SPOILER ALERT in the Spoiler Forum, rather it should be required to request the courtesy of a SPOILER FREE ZONE in the Spoiler Forum.

I have to say that I appreciate a thread where all can voice their thoughts and opinions and to make constructive suggestions. Thanks to OFG and Dabo for starting these threads. With that said, I have to reiterate that Missyae and folks like her/him have indeed changed the way we spoil the show. We do not have the luxury of speculating by deduction and logic alone anymore. Alot of us thrived on that, but with Missyae and others, that is getting harder and harder to manage. Like it or not. Our boards have attracted a respectful following and the format of them worked extremely well.

We have to make some decisions regarding how to accomodate the majority of folks around here. I hate to see such discord among friends/members. I really think the spoiler forum should stay as it is. If you don't want to know, or be exposed to things than you enter at your own risk. In order to attract folks that do know, and want to spoil, we need to welcome them to our boards, just as we would anyone else. I solidly feel there is a need where sourced spoilers can feel free to come and comment on all aspects of the show. From them, there comes much to speculate about.

I agree if people who want to stay away from sourced spoilers want to come into the spoiler forum, than it should be up to them to make their request known in the title of their thread, just as Krautboy suggests. The fanatics thread does note that there are to be no spoilers there. So, we either need to change that so folks can speculate based on information that has already aired, or create a new FORUM for speculation without sourced spoilers. The third alternative would be to keep it as it is, but to require the folks that don't want to know sourced spoilers to print it in the title of the thread, as Krautboy suggests.

Here is how it boils down for me with regard to accommodating everyone. We really have 3 choices:

1. AS Krautboy suggests, keep the forums as they are but require folks that don't want any sourced spoiler knowledge to state this in their headings of their thread topics.

2. Change the rules of the current Survivor Fanatics Forum to accomodate non-sourced spoiling and speculation

3. Keep the current forums as they are but create a new Speculation Forum to discuss all non sourced spoilers and speculation. (Personally, I am not opposed to this kind of forum and I think it would be popular. It could definately fill in the blanks for all spoilers. Would it be a bit redundant? Yes, but all the better to figure it all out, no?

Just my two cents. Don't want to see anyone walk away!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 05:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 06:18 PM (EST)

It's so nice to see you back here, FlowerPower. As always your words are thoughtful and wise.

I apologize to all for being so short in fuse yesterday. I don't apologize for the content, just for the tone. I had a writing assignment to do (MESS GUT), and the back and forth here was making it impossible for me to focus unless I quickly got a response off my chest.

I will be candid and admit that I resent that it is even necessary to spend valuable energy on straightening this out. It seems to me that people want something that is not provided for in the structure of the forums, and instead of living with that or petitioning the mods to have their needs met -- they are trying to unofficially change the whole organization of what has been a model of a smooth-running Spoiler forum.

Specifically, people are making others feel guilty, feel like kill-joys, and feel discourteous to others for simply using the forum as it was set up to be used.

*and this is not pointed at michel, who avoids topics outside of Editing*
PS. It is not pointed at anyone in particular. The comments about discourtesy come from a number of voices.

Posted by michel on 11-10-10 at 08:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 08:19 PM (EST)

">*and this is not pointed at michel,
>who avoids topics outside of Editing*"

Thank you for that OFG. I think we understand each other even if we have differing opinions.

FP, you wrote:

"I agree if people who want to stay away from sourced spoilers want to come into the spoiler forum, than it should be up to them to make their request known in the title of their thread, just as Krautboy suggests"

I also like the suggestion but it only solves the threads that those people start.

Also, you wrote:

"With that said, I have to reiterate that Missyae and folks like her/him have indeed changed the way we spoil the show. We do not have the luxury of speculating by deduction and logic alone anymore."

I'd say we were lucky for a while (something like S13 to S18) not to have so much info given to us but we did have other missyaes before. I've been going to the archives of Palau when Biancaxxx, Callmecrazee and especially Mersaydeez had sources. Here's a link to episode #4 web promo analysis:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=5768&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes#4

104 posts and no one complained that there was a source spoiler in the vidcaps thread. What changed? I'd say two main things: The amount of spoiled material and competition between boards.

Back then, we had a thread that compiled who each board was picking for the week's boot. Scarlett did the compilation for a while.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=5779&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes

No one complained about the source spoiler in the vidcaps because the source spoiler left a lot to speculate about. Mersaydeez mostly said that Koror would make up the whole jury except for Steph. That still didn't tell us the weekly boot or even that Koror would dominate the way they did because peeps were speculating that a switch could enable Koror to vote out the Ulong members than would be coming over.

This page contains the Mersaydeez spoiler and a juicy nugget from Bianca.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID2&mm=5475&archive=yes

I haven't followed the Missyae spoilers but it seems that most of the info is there, that everyone knows the boots and the F3. And the competition between boards is non-existant. That's why I made suggestions (note I made them AFTER it was opened for debate) but no demands. We've outgrown the stage where we felt we had to outspoil Sucks!

My main point would be that it isn't necessary for someone to blurt out "Missyae said Joe is leaving this week". Those who know, already know, those who didn't, didn't want to know. Now, I understand that knowing Joe is leaving could lead to more info but it can be brought up without direct reference. Yes, it takes discipline but, according to BR's count, we usually are pretty good at it. I don't risk going there anymore but I think we are mostly alright. We just need to have some respect for those who share the threads.

ETA: Enjoy the show tonight. I know I will because I have no idea who is going home!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-10-10 at 10:14 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 10:21 PM (EST)

For the record, and there is no possible spoiler in this post --
missyae did not spoil the F3 and refused to confirm another person's claim. In fact, missyae pretty much refused to confirm the finish of anyone but Wendy, Jimmy J, Jimmy T in advance. The focus was on pre-merge and post-merge and how to round out those lists, and it took weeks to work it out.

The F3 got spoiled by a one hit wonder I'd never heard of before. I think the reason people started believing in this jerk was that Anti didn't lock and vanish his posts, which would surely have happened if it were a bogus spoiler.

Missyae is taking a lot more heat for spoiling the season than is deserved.
Last season, SurvivorsUnite blew the whole wad on the boot list for S20, while missyae had it and planned to sit on it until the show aired, and then to go week by week. missyae's model of a fun spoiler is Snewser, but other people keep popping in and spoiling things so that the release can't be dripped out.

Likewise, in S19, missyae started with the next week, at about week 3 I think, hinting no more than a week or two in advance, which only helped stimulate the debate. But that SU guy who spoiled 20 came along and posted two of the F3 and spoiled that they were all Foa Foa. Then he promised to come back with the 3rd name (Mick) but didn't, so people were clamoring for it and missyae filled something in, but not all of it.

Even so, we did not know how Shambo, Brett, and Jaison finished until we were rather close to the Finale. Many thought Shambo would be F4.

So really, if you want to be irate with someone, try SU. He has no self-control about it, and I imagine if he knew all about S22 it would all be posted. Whereas missyae went for putting out a few cast members and then Ep 1 (and then found out the source fed him bogus info). And then immediately set it straight.

Where missyae has been doing extra thorough spoiling is lots of info about dynamics and alliances, and a fair amount about some challenges as the episode draws near.

"Vidcap Analysis...Common Ground"
Posted by Krautboy on 11-10-10 at 05:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-10-10 AT 06:02 PM (EST)

This is a duplicate post from the other thread on this subject:

I think everyone would agree that spoiling was much more fun before the days of Sourced Spoilers, but we've tried to adapt and make the best of it. Some chose to go unspoiled, others accepted the information and changed the focus of their spoiling efforts.

It seems to me that Vidcap Analysis is a common ground where both camps can come together and enjoy a more traditional kind of spoiling. Back in the day, Vidcap Analysis was all we had and formed the foundation for the speculation with which we filled in the holes.

I still think it can't hurt to try spoiling together, as we try to identify places where CBS slipped up and let out perhaps more information than intended. It would take a little discipline and courtesy, but it could still be fun if we agree to focus on the vidcaps and refrain from discussing information obtained by other means.

Those who want to take the clues gleened from the vidcap analysis
and combine it with sourced spoilers can do so in the other threads that are not a "Spoiler Free Zone".

This way we all benefit from each others observations, without driving away the very people we want to enjoy the show with.

If we can get this to work in the Vidcap Thread, then we may be able to find other common ground, where the spoiled and unspoiled can enjoy the show together.

I'd like to volunteer, (if it's OK with FloPo) to start next weeks vidcap thread as a "Spoiler Free Zone", and I hope as many of you as possible, will participate in this experiment.

Krautboy

"RE: Vidcap Analysis...Common Ground"
Posted by dabo on 11-10-10 at 10:57 PM
Yes, do that. It's Yoda time, either do or do not, there is no try.

Posted by mimo on 11-11-10 at 12:11 PM
Krautboy--thanks for doing this. It seems like bringing the vidcaps over would be time consuming, so I have utmost respect for those that are willing to put in the work (although I don't always state out my thanks FloPo and team!!!)

I think the idea of whoever starts a thread indicating that they would prefer no sourced spoilers be referenced in that thread is a good one. It puts the onus on the thread starter--and to my thinking, if someone has put the effort into starting a thread, I would defer to their wishes as to what should be discussed.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-11-10 at 08:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-10 AT 08:34 PM (EST)

I know you did this for the right reasons, Krautboy, but I feel like spoilers just took two steps back. How did we go from no future episode spoilers to no current spoilers? I read that topic this morning and it was both funny how bad it is and frustrating.

I see people who know perfectly well what happened, posting as if they don't, and trying to walk the line between spoiling and saying something that is flat out wrong and they know it.

The editing topic is far more subjective, and people who are spoiled can make observations, but for people who know for a fact what the vidcaps are showing to pretend that they don't just so that a few other people can be in blissful ignorance is just bizarre. I know that I'm not going to participate in that charade.

Restore sanity? At this point I feel like I'm walking in a crazy nightmare.

Posted by michel on 11-11-10 at 09:56 PM
A nightmare? No matter how much we like it (or love to hate it) Survivor is still only a television program.

I wanted to point to this exchange:

I wrote:
>>> Maybe, just maybe, vidcappers are only those that are aware of Missyae's spoiling because others know not to enter there anymore.

You replied:
"I don't think so. This is week 9 and everyone who knows stuff has been quiet until now, and there hasn't been anything remotely like a boot list discussed there.

Some people haven't been enjoying the casting.

There's another group of people who love to spoil and play the fantasy games. They know they cannot be competitive unless they choose to seek out all the knowledge, so maybe they decide not to play, and choosing not to play dampens their interest in doing the spoiling. Or they don't want to spoil knowing that a bunch of people know the outcome already and it seems not so worthwhile as it used to.

Those people are discouraged because very thorough spoilers exist, not so much that they exist in certain topics."

Look at episode #8's thread and only 9 posts had been made on day 1. This week, we have 24 and counting. I'd say more people are having fun and that's the goal of the program AND spoiling. If Na'Onka is lying dead in the shelter, the way she died or who killed her (I already said it was Hantz...or Dan!) can be discussed ad nauseam in any of the other threads.

Posted by Georjanna on 11-12-10 at 09:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-10 AT 01:03 AM (EST)

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the interim results of the ongoing discussion(s) addressing the Forum's environment, but it seems to me that - for the moment - they are:

1. Given that its Administrators have made no statement to the contrary, the Forum's mandate remains '(The) Survivor Spoilers Forum (is) exclusively for the discussion of possible Survivor spoilers and their speculation.'

Note: I agree with OFG's interpretation of the language.

2. Given the endorsement of a wide spectrum of the Forum's participants who, in turn, represent a wide range of spoiling interests, the following proposal(s) submitted by Krautboy have - for the moment - become a de facto working agreement:

"I would like to propose that the burden of being unspoiled in the Spoilers Forum falls on the unspoiled poster and reader. Those who would like a spoiler free thread in the Spoiler Forum should make their request clear in the Subject line and in the header of their post. At the same time, those of us who are spoiled would respect those threads and avoid posting any information deemed to be "sourced".

I'm sure the spoilers here at SBlows would make every attempt to accommodate our unspoiled friends, and continue to enjoy Survivor together where possible ...

Spoiling should be expected in the Spoiler Forum, but if the unspoiled want to create a discussion thread as a "Spoiler Free Zone", they should be welcome to do so. However, to be effective, it should be labled clearly, with the expectations for that thread clearly outlined up front. I'm sure the spoilers will do their best to respect that request within that thread.

Again, the burden of remaining unspoiled within the Spoiler Forum falls on the unspoiled. They should be responsible for creating and identifying their "safe havens" within this Forum. We spoilers will, of course, do the best we can to accommodate them."

3. As an experiment, Krautboy later authored a Vidcap thread and requested that it be a Spoiler Free Zone.

4. Applied to the twenty-six threads that have hosted activity from November 1st to date, the product of that working agreement is that the authors of the following twelve threads - in essence, five recurring threads - have requested (or would have requested) that sourced spoiler content be restricted to comments germane to the current Episode only (in the Voting, ECS and SOTS threads) or be omitted entirely. Forum members can now access (or could have accessed) any of the twelve without fear of encountering inappropriate (to the thread) sourced material:

a. Discussion of Spoiler Forum Protocol: Spoiler Free Version
b. The Thread to Restore Sanity

c. The Players, The Game, The Editing - Survivor Nicaragua

d. EP10 Vidcaps ***Spoiler Free Zone***
e. Ep 9 Vidcaps
f. Ep. 8 "Company Will be Arriving Soon", Vidcaps

g. SurvivorBlowsTribe, Time To Vote: S21 ep9
h. SurvivorBlowsTribe, Time To Vote: S21 ep8

i. S21 Nicaragua Episode #9 ECST
j. S21 Nicaragua Episode #8 ECST

k. SOTS Ep 8 Company Will Be Arriving Soon
l. S21 Nicaragua: State Of The Spoiling Calendar & Sign-Ups

And in the absence of any request by the author that their spoiling content be restricted to any degree, the following fourteen threads are now expected to contain (or would have been expected to contain) sourced material and their authors/ contributors are not now required to post (or would not have been required to post) any warning to that effect. Nor should they now expect to encounter (nor should they have expected to encounter) within those threads any criticism of their choice to include sourced content in their discussion of the topic:

a. Spoiler Forum Protocol? Warning! Here Be Source Spoilers!

b. Ep 9 Title "Stuck in the Middle" and Clues
c. Ep 8 Title "Running the Camp" and Clues

d. Quick question....POSSIBLE SPOILER INFO

e. Jury Vote Speculation

f. Any 1st episode "winner" quotes?
g. S21 Editing Topic for the Thoroughly Spoiled

h. S21 RTVW and other post-game interviews
i. Jeff Probst says ...
j. Ponderosa Clips

k. Episode 9 Insider clips
l. Ep 8 Insider Clips

m. Missyae Spoilers Survivor 21 (Part 2)
n. missyae & other source spoilers S22 -- Rob vs. Russell

I would really be interested in hearing other opinions regarding 'where we are'.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-13-10 at 00:59 AM
Thank you Georgianna for taking the time to make a summary and list of topics. At 99 posts, that was much needed. I'm not clear on what if anything was agreed upon as a way to go forward, but you certainly cover Krautboy's proposal well.

Posted by michel on 11-13-10 at 11:19 AM
Georgianna, from my point of view we are nowhere good because it sure looks like OFG spoiled one member of the F3 inside the editing thread.

Posted by Georjanna on 11-16-10 at 00:14 AM
Ah, Michel!

I am but a mere Sagittarius. Blindly optimistic. Careless. Impractical. Naïve. A Don Quixote of the first order.

But even I know better than to go a'tilting in the quaking middle ground between a Pisces and an Aries ...

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-16-10 at 06:41 PM
>>>I am but a mere Sagittarius. Blindly optimistic. Careless. Impractical. Naïve. A Don Quixote of the first order. But even I know better than to go a'tilting in the quaking middle ground between a Pisces and an Aries ...
>

You're funny and wise, Georgianna,
While I may play a Ram by virtue of the Sun, and a breezy twin by virtue of Ascendant, my sun's ruler (Mars) and the Moon inhabit the sign of the Scorpion. Or Eagle, as it were. And really, it's best to stay impersonal in a joust with this combo, because any fight that gets personal wakes the Scorpion, and it's best to let that critter lie.

There's a message in my sig photo but I doubt many see it because I had to crop the original photo so much to get the size standard.

Posted by Krautboy on 11-13-10 at 12:59 PM
Georgianna: Thank you for the impartial summary. I think that is exactly where we are right now.

We have a plan than can work if executed with courtesy and self restraint. No doubt we will encounter the occasional slip up due to the vast amount of source spoiled information out there this season. It's not a perfect world, and we have not yet achieved world peace, but we are at the negotiating table abd we all seem to have good intentions.

If we continue to try and execute the working agreement Georgianna describes above, we can identify it's strengths and flaws, and refine it as needed, so that by the time we get to S22 we have a working agreement that most can live with.

Krautboy

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-13-10 at 05:58 PM
I'm sorry to have to disagree with you, Krautboy, because I respect you and your thinking so much.

I think that your original statement made perfect sense, and I supported it.

However, the vidcap topic is one of the staples of the weekly conversation. As far as I'm concerned, making it source free hobbles the conversation.

I don't care if people want to make a source free topic for vidcaps and speculation, and label it as you suggested, with a request, which I would honor, and I don't see why that couldn't have been done. Is there no one in the source free group who knows how to post vidcaps? I doubt that.

I believe your original stance was right, and I'm sorry that you changed your mind. I certainly won't be participating in that topic, and I would ask that the regular vidcaps topic be restored now as we still have 4 or 5 episodes before S22.

In my "spoiled topic," the following posters indicated that anywhere in the Spoiler forum should be an appropriate place for any kind of Spoiler, other than the Editing topic: kircon, samboohoo, GOOU, Travelor, Emydi, Rayne, marebear, Nightsky, Squid, ReefHopr, Smoochie, Lolly, Grit, chez, RoundRobin (in the order they posted). You did as well.

I hear talk about consensus, but I don't see those voices in this topic going "hear hear" to the new system.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-14-10 at 01:31 AM
Hello. I'm not an active member of the spoiler community, but I do read some of the threads, and do enjoy the spoiling process. At the moment, I am partially source-spoiled: I know the boot list, the final three, and some of the reasons behind the next few boots. However, since the pro-/anti-source spoiler discussion started, I have intentionally tried (and so far, succeeded) to refrain from looking at the sourced threads.

I do respect and understand both sides of the argument, and would not like to see anyone go: not OFG, who has contributed immensely to the spoiling community, or the lurkers like me, who want to try to actively participate but can't because we don't want to know everything about the season.

That said, I agree with OFG on her above post, if only for one major reason: the source-spoiled people now have no place to discuss vidcaps. Yeah, yeah, I know. They could just start their own thread and discuss there, but the thing is, tradition may be hard to let go of. People are used to the vidcaps thread being a place where they can discuss anything--spoilers and speculation alike.

Now, as for my suggestion: why don't we just create a weekly "Speculations Only" thread, where we can discuss everything in one place (vidcaps, clues, etc). The discussion for all of these are bound to bleed over anyway, and really, we don't have to post all the vidcaps as well. We can just provide a link to the gallery containing all the pictures, and just bring over the ones we want to discuss.

Personally, I think it's a possible "everybody happy" solution (but then again, it's my suggestion ). Think of it as the Speculation version of the Editing thread--source-spoiled people can come in (heck, they're WELCOME to come in and discuss with us), but with a bit more restraint on the information that they release.

Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if some things might not have made sense. English isn't my first language. I really hope, though, that we can all learn to compromise and get along again. It has been rather difficult to see people that I like and respect bickering over spoilers.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-14-10 at 02:03 AM
Thank you, and your English seems terrific to me. I would like that solution,, but then one would expect me to like it. Also I would stay out of the Speculation topic. I don't need to be in every topic.

To me, there is a group that wants to be SAFE and insulated. Well, doesn't it make more sense to create a one stop safe place for yourselves and hang out there and do your thing, than to make everyone else in the room not talk about stuff? <shrug>

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 11-14-10 at 03:29 AM
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I think people were afraid of factions being formed between the non-spoiled vs. the thoroughly spoiled people.

In my opinion, this doesn't have to be the case at all. There shouldn't be warning signs for people to "Stay out! You have inside information!" If source-spoiled people can respect VerucaSalt's topic and "rephrase" their information to exclude source spoilers, why not in another thread--another exception thread, so to speak.

I'm sure that the current Vidcaps thread has people who are spoiled about the next episode, and that's fine. To me, they're not "playing dumb" or "playing along" or intentionally posting the wrong information to try and mislead. Posting "as if I didn't know" is different from posting "well, this is what I know so I'll post something completely opposite from it".

Mostly, though, my concern is this: will we have enough people to carry on a decent Speculations thread if none of the source-spoiled people decide to not participate? I know I probably won't be posting every single week.

Posted by kiki_k on 11-14-10 at 03:58 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-10 AT 04:02 AM (EST)

I'm repeating my 2 cents here in this thread:

The only workable solution, imo, is that in the Spoilers Forum, everyone should assume that there will be spoilers in the threads UNLESS the thread is marked "Speculation Only" or "Spoiler Free Zone" (Veruca's awesome editing thread is known to be speculation only and does not need to be labled as such). Anyone can start a thread here (if they are registered) so the person who starts the thread gets to decide if the thread is to be spoiler-free and, obviously, subsequent posters will respect that. This way the burden is on those who do not want to be spoiled to start & label threads that are spoiler free because the fact that there are people who read threads in the spoilers forum and want to remain unspoiled should not be the responsibility of those who come to the spoilers forum to be spoiled.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 12:45 PM
Dabo, one other suggestion that I want to throw out is that perhaps the weekly "live" episode thread is a good place where everyone in our community (i.e. source spoiled AND non-source spoiled and even Fanatics) can come together.

To me, the "live" thread is a good place where we can all joke around, share initial impressions on edit and game play, and debrief that night's episode. (Check out Snidget's guideline at the beginning of this week's thread, which was nicely worded.) I know for me some weeks it's hard to participate, esp. with work and the switch to Wed. night, but it could be a lot of fun and go a long way in rekindling a feeling of "one" community.

Posted by michel on 11-14-10 at 02:55 PM
Estee used to open a chat room after the episode and that was fun. (things are usually fun when Estee is around)

Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-14-10 at 02:59 PM
Yes, I was still a lurker in those days but I recall it being a lot of fun. Maybe we need to PM Estee and others and see if they would spearhead it (if there is enough interest).

"Musical Interlude"
Posted by dabo on 11-15-10 at 04:16 PM
Let's all take a few minutes and rock 'n' roll.

http://www.youtube.com/user/toasteroven427#p/u/100/Mcj_hZmCnBk

This isn't an easy process but it has gone well to this point, I'll be back later to get things moving along. Let's not let this all distract from enjoying ourselves, though.

"RE: Musical Interlude"
Posted by AaronLittleton on 11-15-10 at 09:20 PM
Sweet, Dabo!

Thanks again for starting this thread!
...and now for posting some entertainment

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-15-10 at 10:15 PM
This was always one of my favorite songs (Dylan's version). I first saw Dylan and the Band perform it at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in December 1965. (I was 13, but I'd already hand typed all of Dylan's lyrics by taking notes off my record albums, I was that much of a Dylan geek.)

I cannot say I aspire to play either Ezra Pound or T.S. Eliot. I'd rather be a lovely mermaid.

Posted by michel on 11-15-10 at 10:31 PM
Thanks for the interlude dabo but I'm not sure that version will restore sanity!

I propose this in honor of Fabio's strategy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4X7W4FYCSg

"Deception" from Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool". (Deception? Who knew Miles could have been good at Survivor? )

Posted by Brownroach on 11-16-10 at 03:51 PM
I didn't know you were a jazz fan.

I think "Cool Jerk" might better illustrate the dichotomies of Fabio's strategy.

Posted by michel on 11-16-10 at 07:30 PM
Cool Jerks? Maybe that would work but there are much bigger jerks than him.

Ever come to the Montreal Jazz Fest? Best event of the year for me.

Posted by Brownroach on 11-18-10 at 00:58 AM
But he is playing the role of "jerk" while remaining "cool," that was my point.

Have not been to a Jazz Festival in a long time and never to Montreal's. I generally prefer jazz in a club setting.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-16-10 at 06:36 AM
I always enjoy musical interludes, dabo ...
I have many favorites for restoring my sanity, but here's an ode to rock and roll:

Mohammed's Radio
Jackson Browne & Warren Zevon Live 1976

and here's one for my mood:

Renegade
"we were hopelessly outnumbered, it was a lost cause all along ..."

"Next Step"
Posted by dabo on 11-16-10 at 11:50 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 03:46 PM (EST)

Hope everyone enjoyed the musical interlude. Yeah, it wasn't HIghway 61, not even my favorite cover, but still a good tune. And I love the smiley face spinning on the turntable, had to have it! Hey, and we got some cool Miles Davis, Jackson Brown and Warren Zevon, good stuff. Thank you's, michel and OFG.

So, what next? The trial vicdap thread was a tremendous success in terms of a lot of people did have fun. And it got big!

Hey, we have two Recrap threads right now, one for spoiling and one for speculation! Courtesy of Round Robin and rachelOH63. Excellent! There is going to be a recap next week it seems, so we have something of a break, let's use it. KB's idea of people who want Spec threads starting them, establishing the topic and the parameters for the conversation, seems to have taken root. Good, good, let's get to work.

Let's first get over the idea that these are duplicate threads. No, they are topically similar threads for different conversations. The standard of one topic/one thread we have here, that should still apply; we don't want for example a dozen recap threads for a dozen recap discussions, it's too chaotic without guiding disciplines for concurrent but different conversations.

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that vidcap aren't source, for example. If you think about it, the stuff from CBS is source spoiling, it is just a source of a different color. But I'm rambling. All the CBS stuff is the same to me, and that seemed to be something brought out in the vidcap thread however anyone chooses to think about it.

What problems can we identify? I would propose that we use the Spec Recap thread as the only Spec thread of the week, this coming week, see what all the different things might be for Spec threads. Stats, you want stats? I can copy over the confessionals tally into that thread, not a problem. Would this be okay with rachel? She started the thread, after all. The experimental all spec dump into one thread doesn't even have to last the whole week, it is just something we could use to identify needs, the control group as it were.

Okay?

There may well be another problem, or issue if you will, come up rather quickly. Over the years manning the helm on vote threads I've learned a few things in regards to CBS. They do like to telegraph (ie. spoil) certain things. They can get tricky but I no longer worry much about things like when there will be merges, switches, or medical evacuations. Whatever the reasons for their thinking, eh, let's just let them keep thinking that way, nothing we can do about it anyway. Bad stuff, especially medical evacuations, they want their audiance ready, prepped for it as it were.

Recaps, not so much. The promo at the end of episode 10 may well be the promo for episode 11, not the recap itself. They'll get around to prepping people for the recap later on, but the past couple of years or so they don't do it right away, they go ahead and promo the next actual episode two weeks away. So, we're back to vidcaps. If that is what they do should those vidcaps go into rachel's recap thread?

My suggestion is that, yes, let's do that, it will help drive the more general focus of that thread which we can use moving forward. And we could have a regular vidcap thread started as well. Mull it over, what do you think? Rachel, you started the thread, this alright with you?

Any other ideas? Let's hear them.

"RE: Next Step"
Posted by rachelOH63 on 11-16-10 at 04:45 PM
I am good with anything. I just started that recap thread so no one else saw what i saw...didn't want more drama!! ;)

No need to ask me. I was just hoping I didn't get yelled at for starting that thread!!

Posted by Round Robin on 11-17-10 at 01:50 AM
Shouldn't be any drama. This is called the Spoiler Forum, so one should automatically assume that any thread here will contain spoilers unless it is explicitly labeled a spoiler-free zone.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-16-10 at 07:22 PM
>>> The trial vicdap thread was a tremendous success in terms of a lot of people did have fun. And it got big!

OK, but for record, for me it was the worst week ever. Far from being fun, having the vidcap topic taken away ruined the spoiling across the board -- for me.

That topic was 91 posts long, and of all those posts only one held an observation that somewhat advanced my existing perception of the week, or at least was an interesting reinforcement of my spec, and that was Krautboy's post #81, which would have easily been part of a topic that allowed sources.

There is stuff I could have posted that would have fueled discussion and maybe taken the topic onto working out some new ground, that didn't get covered.

I appreciated Karchita sharing her volcano vacation photos, but I didn't include those posts as informative to me because I've been expecting a Cerro Negro volcano surfing reward and been on top of the company's blogsite for over two months (not from missyae, from a friend who's awesome at scouting location stuff), so as soon as I saw the preview I knew what that was about, and it was obviously the reward, not the challenge, so not too much to be said about that other than share the info about where it is and what they do for those who like location info (which I do).

This last week made it very evident that it doesn't work for everyone to ride on the same bus when you're going different directions. Obviously the bus made one group of people happy, but it left me feeling emotionally drained with this board. One problem with being in my position is that the people who don't participate in source spoilers cannot possibly appreciate how much goes into it; also they don't know where the spoilers leave off, what is still a mystery. They get caught up in discussing stuff that is already known by lots of people, so it is not interesting.

Imagine sitting in with a group this last week that was discussing whether there would be a merge and whether Alina or Marty would win. You're sitting there knowing that the merge is over, and both of them already got voted off, but you're not allowed to ruin the group fun by pointing that out. Would you really enjoy joining that discussion? That's how it was for me.

I would like to have a regular vidcaps topic where we can bring in all pertinent knowledge. No one needs to spam the Final 3, but some known pertinent future events should be allowed -- for example known alliances that form.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-17-10 at 00:41 AM
I think this is dying down, but I wanted to respond to this:

>>> Some things are better handled by PMs to the parties concerned, unpleasant as that may become.

My feeling is that both PM and email are private areas where you should not go to confront someone. I enable those functions so as to meet people, exchange OT info and remarks, and exchange positive thoughts. If I started getting negative PM's, I would have to disable all that. Corvis and I worked out our differences, including our different take on using PMs, so this is not directed at anyone specific.

Trying to sort things out by PM may feel like you're just pulling someone over at a party to talk to them alone, but when you send a criticism, reproach, or challenge, you are sending something negative at a person who is working or at home, whatever, you don't know. Maybe someone is sick, or dying, or getting fired, or in the middle of a fight -- and you are walking into that and making an issue about message board dynamics, but possibly saying things that make the person feel really sad or mad.

It's not OK to do that. The other main board that I post on, Tripadvisor, forbids any use of PMs to harass a user, and violation is subject to banning. That seems a good policy to me. Now if someone asks you to PM them and you choose to do it, that's different. I'm talking about firing one off because you're disgruntled.

I know that dabo means well, but honestly, none of us should be suggesting that other people's private communications are fair game for hostilities to play out.

"Agree"
Posted by dabo on 11-17-10 at 01:51 AM
I didn't mean that confrontations or accusations or whatever should be taken to PMs, expressed myself poorly and imprecisely there. PMs over a concern, a possibly unpleasant subject, can and should be done politely or not at all. It is better to ask questions than point fingers.

Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 11-17-10 at 07:07 PM
IMHO -- Spoilers is Spoilers! This is the place to SPOIL! Now if we have some one like Missyae, than I do think we should keep them in a clearly-labeled thread. However, I know that there are a group of us who really enjoy speculating about who will win RC, IC, etc., so I am of the opinion that we might benefit from a "Speculation-only" forum. Several years ago we spun off the "Games" Forum. I think we can do the same for a "speculation" forum. For me, I don't like having the boot list. I enjoy the speculation and "sleuthing" each week.

Posted by dabo on 11-18-10 at 02:10 AM
Well, I for one am looking forward to picking apart the vidcaps from this week's promo. sure looks like we're in for... The NaOnka Show!

Posted by Round Robin on 11-18-10 at 03:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-18-10 AT 04:13 AM (EST)

Which we probably won't see for 2 weeks as TV Guide says next week is a recrap. But that's what it looks like all right. If there are fresh "antics" we haven't previously heard about, they may throw more gasoline on the fire, no pun intended, and eventually precipitate critical events not yet shown.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-18-10 at 06:11 PM
I thought we were going to have a regular vidcap topic this week and a spec topic for those who want to avoid knowing anything.

I have to say this is the make or break week for me. If the place to discuss vidcaps from the spoiled perspective is the missyae ghetto -- then tell me now so that I can delete my Blows bookmark and never look back.

Posted by dabo on 11-18-10 at 06:15 PM
My fault. I should have PMed FloPo and Squid to make sure we were all on the same page, just didn't think of it.

Have started a vidcap thread now for total spoiling, please keep a watch on it.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-18-10 at 07:14 PM
Thank you so much, dabo!

I wonder, this Episode 10 thing is driving me nuts, is there a way to repost as Episode 11 and get the misnumbered topic locked or deleted? Regardless of what the recrap is called (I vote for Recrap) -- LAST week was Ep 10 and it is confusing to have a second one.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-18-10 at 09:16 PM
Another thank you to dabo for the new topic and deleting the old one. Now we can spoil Week ELEVEN. *cue scene from Spinal Tap*

Posted by Brownroach on 11-18-10 at 11:24 PM
Thank you for being the butler, we'd all be helpless to start our own threads without you. You're a treasure.

Now would you please serve the soup, before it gets cold?

Posted by Tummy on 11-22-10 at 12:53 PM
I just stumbled in from a post that Corvis posted over in Fanatics. Have y'all found your sanity yet?

I'm not sure what all the whoopla is about. If your here in Spoilers you should be prepared to be spoiled. I've left as it's not fun anymore since complete lists are floating around any and everywhere. I don't trust any of you hooligans.

I don't have faith in humankind and even if somethings listed as Specualtion I'm not sure I would believe that Source wasn't involved. That's why I've left Spoilers. And while I'm not having as much fun as back in the good ol' days of pure speculation, I'm having more fun watching than the last few seasons.

Carry on and margaritas are on dabo!