URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 7465
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Jeff Probst says ..."

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-17-10 at 01:48 AM
A topic for Jeff's comments ...

Jeff Probst on the Early Show

Brenda is a bit of a black widow (whatever that means)
They shouldn't let Kelly B (the amputee) get near the finals
They will be wet
They will be hungry (not much to forage)
He hardly mentioned anyone else except the two Jimmy's, so maybe one of these two girls wins. You know, maybe he just cut to the chase for once.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Jeff Probst says ..."
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-17-10 at 02:03 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-17-10 AT 02:04 AM (EST)

Dalton Ross's interview

Watch the contestant video interviews at bottom of the column. Dalton interviews, but Jeff makes comments such as revealing his "man crush" on Jimmy Johnson and his lack of faith in Alina's staying power.

Excerpt with Jeff quotes:
"The younger La Flor tribe features Survivor‘s second amputee contestant, Kelly Bruno, who lost her right leg to a birth defect when she was six-months old (Survivor: Vanuatu also featured a contestant with an artificial limb, Chad Crittenden). “We don’t really look at Kelly as ‘let’s do another amputee,”’ Jeff Probst told EW.com while on location during filming. “When Kelly came in, it wasn’t that she had an artificial limb. It was that she was so charismatic. I hope Kelly lasts a long time because that’s somebody I would want in my foxhole with me.”

The old versus young division is not the only twist this season. At the very opening, Probst will reveal to the contestants a brand new item: the Medallion of Power. The Medallion can be used by a tribe to give itself an advantage in an immunity challenge, but once used, it goes over to the other tribe to use when it sees fit. “The Medallion of Power is designed to give you power at challenges,” explains Probst. “And our job is to make sure that the advantage is enough to tempt you — not so much that it’s a landslide, but enough that you go, ‘I’m not sure we should take it. Maybe we should, maybe we shouldn’t.’”

Also, expect fewer hidden immunity idols to be played on Survivor: Nicaragua, or at least expect them to be a bit harder to find. “This season we have made changes to the hidden immunity idol,” says Probst “The only way you’re gonna find it is to decipher these cryptic visual clues. So it’s a bit like a visual riddle, and the audience will get to play along. And the first set of four clues is very difficult. The next set will be a little easier, and then by the third set, you should find it.”

Q: Who out here needs to prove you wrong in this cast?
JP: "Alina, I'm curious about Alina. I'd like to see Alina prove me wrong, cuz right now she feels a little cheerleady to me -- not gonna lie, but, she's a young girl."

Posted by Krautboy on 08-17-10 at 10:51 AM
Hi OFG! This will be a great resource. Thanks for getting it organized.

Sounds like Jeff is confirming our spec about Alina not doing very well. Last season we saw that Jeff was often very direct with his comments and rarely did he mislead us. Not looking good for Alina...

Krautboy

Posted by michel on 08-19-10 at 10:38 PM
I don't know about this season. Not only is the season going to be spoiled but this cast looks dumber than usual. Everyone wants to be like Boston Rob, Parvati or JT but will probably be like Dave or Timber Tina.

The only 3 that impressed me on their videos were Marty, Kelly B and Tyrone. That last dude reminds me of Bobdawg. He probalby won't last any longer but I hope they don't hide him as much.

**Please don't tell me what happens to these folks. I don't want to know. I just want to share impressions.**

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-19-10 at 10:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-19-10 AT 11:01 PM (EST)

I liked Marty. It will be interesting to see how Mill Valley/Marin energy mixes with the mactor energy. I am ambivalent about Marinites because of so much exposure to them. My grandparents and dad were Marinites before it turned into CEO, yuppy, New Age land, and I lived there for most of the 80's. There are superficial people side by side with very creative people. Marty seems like a solid guy. However, just by virtue of what he's achieved, as a Yahoo exec, he probably has quite a powerful vibe.

I think Marty could be a leader of his tribe, but if he's down by numbers at any point he will be a natural target.

I like Tyrone, but I think when they do the "lone black male" casting and the person is also a streetwise character, that it's a challenge for that player not to be isolated socially. He seems like someone who would have a low tolerance for BS.

Kelly B -- hard not to be touched hearing how her father died in Haiti. So tragic for her.

Oddly, I liked Jud. I have a soft spot for surfer skate rats, and I liked that he said he swims better than Ozzy, and compares himself to Ozzy. It sounds like he'll play the game with a certain amount of joy at being there, as Ozzy did. I also like his strategy of hiding his brain behind the "rad" and "dude" lingo.

I think I'm supposed to like Brenda, but to me she was just a cheerleader type, and that's not my deal, so before I like her I'll need to see more from her.

I liked Chase. He also lost his father.
Ben strikes me as someone who is ready to be the cold calculating guy of the group, so he interests me, if only because someone needs to play hard.

Shannon, oh great, another Lafayette LA boy. He will be different from the other young ones in that he got married at 19, married pregnant girlfriend, has three kids to support, and is not from La-la land. Maybe he will have James' social skills.

Posted by Belle Book on 08-20-10 at 04:49 PM
And Kelly B. has a handicap. I think I'll like her but if the Final 3 is composed of La Flor people then they'd be crazy to let her anywhere near the finals.

Chase's losing his father also makes me think I'll sympathize with him. Problem is -- this might make him a "jury threat" -- and we know what happens to most jury threats.

Posted by michel on 08-20-10 at 06:04 PM
Hadn,t heard that about Kelly. I liked her mainly for the way she expresses herself. She seems calm and smart.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-20-10 at 06:53 PM
Kelly's father did humanitarian work. As bad luck would have it, he was in Haiti on a mission when the quake hit, his hotel collapsed, and he died. Just awful.

"Jeff Probst says ...in TV Guide"
Posted by Krautboy on 08-25-10 at 07:15 PM
Posted by TDB at Sucks..."Probably nothing, but in the latest TV Guide Magazine (August 30-September 12), they have an article on the new season and Probst's Picks."

Probst's Picks are:

Chase: "He's my favorite going in. He lost his father, he's fighting with his dad's spirit, and it's the first thing he's ever really done just for himself."

Jimmy T.: "I think he's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I like guys who aren't afraid to speak up."

Kelly B.: " going to have a big moral dilemma: 'Can we really vote out the girl with the artificial leg?' Well, you better, because she could win it!"

Tyrone: "He's been in stressful situations, he's had to make quick decisions, and he's a huge athlete."

Jill: "Jill's a dark horse to win this game. She's sharp, really observant, and I don't think you're going to get much past her."

Last season Jeff's comments were very telling, so he may once again be shooting straight with us...

Krautboy

"RE: Jeff Probst says ...in TV Guide"
Posted by Flowerpower on 08-26-10 at 08:22 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-26-10 AT 08:22 AM (EST)

I really like Jeff's assessments. Interesting to note that 3 of the 5 are from the older tribe. Looks like they did choose some interesting characters this season. They have alot of successful folks on this time. It will be interesting to note how many could be classified as alphas. And, we all know that in a season of mostly leaders, it's a follower that should win...

"RE: Jeff Probst says ...in TV Guide"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-30-10 at 08:53 AM
Chase is the only one of Jeff's picks with any shot whatsoever. Go Chase! I like him.

"TV Guide Article"
Posted by Flowerpower on 08-28-10 at 07:43 AM
Here is the article written for TV Guide that Krautboy referred to. This was posted at Survivor Fever....

Outwit, Outplay, Outlive!
Led by an ex-NFL coach, a team of older players blitzes their youthful rivals on Survivor

Rob Moynihan - TV Guide Magazine

Huddled under the jungle canopy on Nicaragua's Pacific coast, a burly Massachusetts fisherman, a dog trainer from the South and a former Yahoo! executive gather around a fire pit for the pep talk of their lives. In the middle of the half-circle sits legendary former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson, whose famously coiffed hair - which he admits will "get messed up sooner rather than latter" - has met its match under the Central American heat and humidity. It's the day before Survivor: Nicaragua's first immunity challenge, and the coach is in his element, presenting his imaginary playbook to his tribe of misfits, ready to do battle with their much younger and arguably more fit competitors. Little do they know that this season of Survivor was specially designed with the older underdogs in mind.

"Finding the old tribe is what kick-started this idea because we don't often get this many good older people." says host Jeff Probst, who's entreating his 21st season of snuffing torches. "We actually have a tribe that's strong enough that they can compete and colorful enough that the audience will root for them."

The colors definitely shine brighter on the older Espada tribe (Spanish word for "sword"), with ages ranging from 41 to 67. Donning a cowboy hat and boots, Wendy DeSmidt-Kohlhoff, a 48 year-old retired Army officer from Fromberg, Montana, openly admits to having some unique dietary habits. "I do like to eat roadkill!" she exclaims proudly. And Dan Lembo, a 63 year-old real-estate executive from Watermill, New York, who goes by the nickname "Mr. Connected", looks like a displaced Sopranos extra on the bug-infested beaches. "I'm smart, I'm conniving and if I didn't have an ego, I wouldn't be here," he admits in a thick Brooklyn accent. The Survivor producers realized that in order for the battle-of-the-ages twist to succeed, they needed to tweak one of the core aspects of the game: the challenges.

"It's way less physical this season, so there will be no wrestling on the beach," Probst says. "Our challenge department has come up with some inventive ideas that are fair, still take skill and still take strategy. They're going to be the kind of things you think would be fun to do." Adding to the toned-down challenges is the new Medallion of Power, which will give the tribe a distinct advantage in an immunity challenge. But once a tribe plays the Medallion, the option of power is given to the other tribe to use in the next competition.

Even with the spotlight on Espada, the younger La Flor tribe (Spanish for "the flower") contains some formidable players sprinkled into the usual batch of wannabe actors and models. Brenda Lowe, a spunky 27 year-old paddleboard company owner and ex-Miami Dolphins cheerleader, wants to "go out there and show people what a girl can do." Shannon Elkins, an arrogant 30 year-old pest control company owner from Lafayette, Louisiana, thinks his good looks and charm will proudly represent the South. ("Russell was the king, but he was ugly!") But the tribe makes a controversial decision regarding the Medallion of Power in the opening minutes of the game, "an early sign that the young tribe is quite cocky," Probst says. "In most cases on Survivor, I would still say that the youth probably have an advantage, but with this group, I think the older people do."

Back at the Espada camp, Johnson finishes his strategy session as the castaways place their hands on top of each other in the center of the huddle and let out a cheer of unity. Tomorrow, Johnson will move from the sidelines into the middle of the field and try to lead his team to victory, seemingly unconcerned with the generation gap he's facing. "For someone my age, I'm in as good a condition as I can get. The only thing I'm in it for is the adventure. "

"Cast assessment"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-10-10 at 02:05 AM
Jeff Analyzes the Cast

In terms of who could get to the end and win the vote, he mentions Chase and Jimmy J, Other mention of who could get to the end: Jud and Benry (if they don't realize he's a snake).

Players he sees who have to overcome early impressions quickly:
Danny, Holly, Wendy, Yve, Na Onka
That's four members of Espada that he doesn't think have good odds and could be early targets.

Shannon - needs to pay attention or he'll be the merge boot.
Kelly B - threat factor of sympathy.
Tyrone - scary looking, but gentle.
Sash has huge chip on shoulder.
Kelly S - young, Barbie looks, smart but not observant enough for end game.
Alina - charming and naive, compares to Amber in the Outback.
Jud - Jeff Spiccoli

Likes a lot: Chase, Jill, Jud, Marty, Jimmy T, Brenda, Jimmy J.

Dark horse mention: Benry
Dumb move nominee: Marty, because he's a game player

Jane must be seriously UTR because he forgot to mention her.

"RE: Cast assessment"
Posted by Georjanna on 09-10-10 at 03:03 PM
Jane must be seriously UTR because he forgot to mention her.

It's difficult to imagine that Jane was 'forgotten', initially, during the promotion's filming and then throughout the editing and website production process.

So, I would love to hear the backstory ...

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-10-10 at 07:50 AM
a quick interview where Jeff says the older men argue and try to take each other out and are dysfunctional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rwa30DJYpc

thanks to guatemalafanfic for linking this at MESS.

Posted by dabo on 09-13-10 at 01:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-10 AT 09:26 PM (EST)

Just thought I'd get a complete transcription down from this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupB_SrDACQ&feature=related

Jill is one of my favorites going in. As a doctor she's really observant, and she just has a sense about her that "I'll figure it out."

Jud is a favorite for me, he cracks me up. You'll ask Jud "So hey tell me about your up-bringing" and he'll say, "Well, when I was little.. huh huh, I was just thinking about how much I like apples." Jud reminds me of Jeff from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Jud could "dude" his way all the way to the end.

I think when people see that Kelly (B) has an artificial limb it will confuse a lot of people emotionally. There's going to be an instant sympathetic (reaction). Then there's also the wow look how well she runs. Then there's, "Oh, my God, she could win."

Tyrone is a guy that if looks could kill I'd be dead. But then he opens his mouth and you realize he's a really gentle guy. Captain in the fire department, teaches spinning class. And he works with kids so he's got to have a lot of patience. That's a guy that might surprise folks.

Wendy's definitely an odd-ball, but Wendy will tell you she's an odd-ball. She's going to have to overcome an early slightly annoying factor (likes to talk a lot). But that's just because she's different, not everybody is slick and got a cool haircut and comes from Los Angeles. And I hope she makes people eat their words.

Shannon is the kind of guy I love to see on the show because he has all the physical attributes, he's a big guy and he's muscular, but I don't know if he's paying enough attention to what's going on between the ears. I'm not saying he's not up for it, I just think he may put too much importance on doing really well at the challenges. Fine, you'll be gone at the merge.

Benry, he's a dark horse. That kid could slither his way to the end. If people figure out he's a snake he could be gone early, but he's very charming. And he's not easily charmed; he doesn't care if you're hot and you like him and you're female, he's seen it. All I care about is getting to the end and I'll cut your throat just like anybody else.

Holly is an interesting one for me, I think she's going to be on the bubble early. I think she's going to have to get in with somebody quickly, and it's going to have to be the right people.

I'm excited to see Jimmy Johnson because I'm a Jimmy Johnson fan. The great thing about Jimmy Johnson is how much he wants to be on Survivor. He doesn't need it for all the reasons most other people do, and that's going to be his strategy. He's going to tell you he's here for the adventure, take him to the end because he can't win. And I think he's right, I don't think he can. Unless he pulls out one of those great Knute Rockne speeches at the end. That's what the young people might not see coming, Jimmy Johnson is a great pursuader.

Daniel, I think, is going to have one of the biggest struggles. And it's based simply on perception. He looks different than everybody else, he slicks his hair back, he's got the funky chains, he's got a scar. He looks like a guy who's been in it. He looks like he grew up in Brooklyn and has been in a few fights, which he has. So he's going to have to overcome first impressions.

Sash's biggest obstacle is going to be the boulder that he wears on his shoulder. I don't know what's behind it, I only know that every time I talked with Sash he would say, "I'm from Harlem and you're not, you don't get it." I don't know what I don't get, I don't know what he's trying to tell me, but I know it's important. And I also know when you're on Survivor nobody cares. I hope Sash takes my advice which was leave the political rhetoric at home, win the game and then you'll have a platform to talk. But if he comes comes out telling everybody listen to my story, you're gone.

At first glance I like Brenda, she seems very likeable. Definitely athletic, owns her own company, is out on the water a lot. There are a lot of attributes for a young person that she has that are hard to find. And that's somebody that if I were on the young tribe I would definitely keep around.

NaOnka, bright bright personality, big smile, and an instant target. I just don't know how she's going to fit in. NaOnka's best strategy is going to be to get in with an alliance and shut up. That is a great strategy, it's worked for a lot of people, it could work for her.

I like Marty, I think he's going to say a lot of fun interesting things, probably some outrageous things. I think he might make some dumb moves. But he will make moves. Marty's a player, he will play this game, and I like him already for that.

Chase is an odd's on favorite for me, I think he's got all the qualities that can get you to the end, and in a way that makes me still vote for you and give you the money. And I also think that the connection he has to his dad, who just passed away a couple of years ago, will play a part out here. I think Chase is going to draw on the inspiration he gets from his dad, and I really think he could be a force.

Yve has a lot going for her in life: beautiful, mother. I don't know how much she has going for her in this game. I think we're going to know Yve's fate within the first episode. If she isn't busting it on both sides she's going to be an early target.

Kelly S., great spark, fun personality. The only thing working against Kelly is her age. She is very observant for someone her age. Is she observant enough to get deep in the game? I don't think so.

Alina reminds me of Amber in Australia, a little more naive than she realizes, and a little more charming than she probably knows. And she already thinks she's charming. The thing working against her is believing people she shouldn't believe.

Jimmy T won a contest (online) in which we agreed to take the most popular video and put that person on the show. Thank God it was Jimmy T because he's likeable, he's charismatic. And he's got his long hair and his big husky build, and he likes to tell you, "I'm Jimmy T, I'm known everywhere as Jimmy T!" We'll see how Jimmy T does.

Jane not mentioned.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-13-10 at 08:37 PM
a big hurrah for you transcribing, dabo! Will be super useful to have exact words in easy reference.

Posted by Georjanna on 09-15-10 at 11:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-10 AT 12:57 PM (EST)

How I wish that I could manage video captures with my – relatively – new system! I know it’s possible, I just can’t find the obviously top-secret formula. Anyway …

Here is an interview of JP by Dalton Ross that I stumbled across by following Dalton (as he helpfully suggested … sigh!) on Twitter.

It’s in four parts. The first two are here. The second two are here. And what I found most interesting (and amusing) was Jeff's consternation after being outwitted by the contestants during the first IC (since I can’t do the captures, you’ll have to pay attention during a pan to notice that evidently the younger tribe was first to circumvent the best-laid-plans) – and – his categorization of Jane ( a lady who has bred, trained and shown Best of Breed and Best of Show Shetlands at the most prestigious national and international competitions in her industry) as a Dogcatcher, for God’s sake!

Note: Both are in Part One.

Posted by dabo on 09-15-10 at 01:35 PM
Thanks for the links, now I'm looking forward to Probst getting outwitted tonight.

Posted by Chez on 09-16-10 at 09:13 AM
I watched Parts 1 and 2 and could not figure out how the producers intended the IC to go, which the contestants immediately changed. Did anyone get this?

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-16-10 at 06:07 AM
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20354695_20426283_5,00.html
Video interview with Dalton Ross done right after Ep 1 TC. Very interesting.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 09-16-10 at 09:22 AM
Yes, I thought this was a great clip. Interesting to hear who he thinks will get voted out next: Alina or Shannon (talks too much) for the younger tribe...or Dan for the older tribe.

Also, sounds like Dan's knee is pretty bad based on what Jeff says.

Based on the preview clips, sounds like there will be fireworks at TC!

"Ep. 1 Jeff's Blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 09-16-10 at 09:18 AM
Is this where we want to put Jeff's blog? Or do we want a separate thread? I'll put it here for now:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/16/jeff-probst-survivor-nicaragua-premiere-episode-1/

"...right now Marty and Jimmy T seem more concerned with Jimmy Johnson than they do anything else. That is not a good sign for the older group."

Here's who Jeff has identified as "standouts" so far (doesn't necessarily mean they'll go far):
Older tribe: Jimmy T., Holly, Jane and Mary
Younger tribe: Shannon, Fabio, Kelly B, Sash and Naonka

He seems to have the most positive things to say about Jane and Fabio:

"...Jane is tailor made for this show. She is no-nonsense, has a great work ethic and she personifies the idea of “where there is a will, there is a way.”

"Fabio is perhaps my favorite. I am a huge fan of Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Fabio is Survivor’s version of Jeff Spicoli...Whether it’s the massive splinter he got in his arch moments into the show or the pincher on the finger, he’s funny. Best of all, he seems to have a really good sense of humor about himself. You gotta like that."

Interesting that he doesn't mention Brenda or Chase.

"RE: Ep. 1 Jeff's Blog"
Posted by joeyshox on 09-17-10 at 11:44 AM
Whew!! So glad he's doing these again this season as I love reading these!! But yeah, I 'd kind of prefer a separate thread for these as this thread has seemed like more of a potpourri for Jiffy musings, and the blog is a little different, but that's just me. I'm just happy these are back!!

Posted by SquidProQuo on 09-17-10 at 11:57 AM
OFG, is there a way for you to edit the name of this thread and add "Jeff's blog" so people know to look for it here? Or do you think we should start a separate thread?

Posted by Brownroach on 09-17-10 at 12:05 PM
Most of Jeff's commentary from this point on is going to be in his blog as opposed to other interviews, so I don't think a separate thread is necessary.

"Ep. 2 EW blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 09-23-10 at 09:08 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/23/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-2/

Re Chase:
"...if you’re in an alliance with Chase, you need to get out now! He’s crazy over Brenda and he’s going to tell her everything. Someone put a rope around his neck and drag him back into the shelter....You’ve got to do something or he’ll bring you down."

Re Shannon:
"Much like Wendy, he just wouldn’t shut up. The more he talked, the more he influenced the tribe to vote him out. When someone is that aggressive it’s hard not to have a reaction....I think he sealed his fate when he asked Sash, out of nowhere, “Are you gay?” And then followed it up with, “New York is full of gay people." Too bad the finale for this season is in LA, woulda been kinda fun to get a group and take Shannon out to a couple of gay bars in Manhattan."

In general:
"These people are out of their friggin minds! It’s only day five!
Thank God Fabio is still sane."

"RE: Ep. 2 EW blog"
Posted by samboohoo on 09-23-10 at 02:03 PM
Holla? Holla? WTF is wrong with Jeff? It's Blog Entry Number 2, and he's crazy as well.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"Ep 3 Jiffy Blog"
Posted by emydi on 09-30-10 at 10:58 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/30/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-3/

just reading it now..

"RE: Ep 3 Jiffy Blog"
Posted by dabo on 09-30-10 at 11:28 AM
Thanks! Read that twice and on the second read it clicked for me about NaOnka. Even though I still have no idea what she meant by "hood" and "ghetto." But it's like her alliance is her gang, the kids who live on her street. Except the kids who don't fit in, they're nothing. The instant hatred of Jud and Kelly B., weird, that I don't really understand yet why.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 09-30-10 at 08:38 PM
Interests me that Jeff knew nothing about this on location. I find it hard to believe that he didn't know before the episode aired. OK, I don't believe it.

You would think there is some kind of grapevine that reports noteworthy incidents to Jeff.

Posted by samboohoo on 10-01-10 at 09:28 AM
Agree.

Posted by Flowerpower on 10-01-10 at 06:45 AM
Boy, I think I've been watching this show too long. Jiffy couldn't have expressed my thoughts better. I'm in total agreement. NaOnka is of very poor character and is truly a nasty individual. Talk about a chip on the shoulder....perhaps that is why she and Sash get along. Supposedly, he has a chip on his shoulder as well.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 10-01-10 at 11:13 PM
Jiffy is bitter that Dan is making it instead of Jimmy J. JP is mad at Estrada.

" You were conspiring about who to vote out with the one guy you should have voted out! Dan is still in this game.

DAN
“I’m as strong as any of the women.” Uh, no you’re not. I don’t think Dan could beat anybody, including the unnamed “moose” he referenced. Dan, you’re a really charming guy who I like quite a bit but I am amazed you passed our physical. But you did and there you are still in the game and two other people from your tribe are gone."

It's going to be a long season for Jeff.

Posted by Round Robin on 10-02-10 at 02:47 AM
I don't wish Jeffo gone, but maybe he's been the host of Survivor too long for his own good. Yo, Jeffo, human beings really ARE that evil and that stupid and that disgusting sometimes. It's reality, and if it upsets you that much, maybe you need a new gig.

"Ep 4 Jeff Blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 10-07-10 at 09:23 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/07/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-4/

Interesting that Jeff singles out Jane and Sash this week:

Re Jane: : "Jane is one of the bright spots on her tribe. She “gets it” on a very basic level. She doesn’t hoot and holler screaming for attention, but she is definitely playing the game."

Re Sash : "Another person I think is playing a pretty quiet but solid game is Sash. Before the game started...I boldly told Sash he would be the first person from his tribe to be voted off. Clearly I was wrong...He’s playing a very good social game. He pops in, checks to make sure the vote is going the way he thinks it should go and then he is gone. Doesn’t make for the most interesting character, but he’s safe for the moment anyway."

Re Marty: : Nominating Tyrone to be in charge of challenges was brilliant...Marty is definitely a very good pot stirrer. My only criticism is that he still doesn’t see the forest for the trees...But Marty could still win the game. He is very well spoken and if he makes it to the merge with any kind of an alliance he could do very well."

Re Brenda and Jill and the HII : "Brenda practically gave the idol to Naonka by telling her where to look....Did it strike anybody else as odd that Brenda didn’t even really look for it? She just let Naonka find it. Am I missing something? Is this strategy? Do Jill and Brenda both feel it is better to not have the idol? It’s an interesting idea from a strategy point of view."

Re Naonka: : "Naonka, at this point, has ZERO chance of winning the game. I don’t think she realizes that simply getting to the end is not the goal."

"RE: Ep 4 Jeff Blog"
Posted by samboohoo on 10-07-10 at 05:26 PM
I'm glad Jeff will Jimmy T. I certainly won't.

"Ep 5 Jeff blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 10-14-10 at 09:40 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/14/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-5/

Lame blog this week - Jeff says he was in a hurry and it shows. No insights and no hints about next week.

The deleted scene is Dan talking about how he wants to cut the chicken's head off and how he always thought it was an old wives' tale that roosters crow in the morning but they really do.

Funny how giving a tribe chickens always seems to stir up trouble! This reminds me, shouldn't they have eaten the rooster first (and saved the hens for eggs)? Unless they wanted an alarm clock?

"RE: Ep 5 Jeff blog"
Posted by Krautboy on 10-14-10 at 03:24 PM
Good point about the Rooster Squid...the tribe must have mistakenly thought you need a rooster in order for a chicken to lay eggs.

Krautboy

"Ep 6, Jeff's Blog"
Posted by arkiegrl on 10-21-10 at 10:19 AM
Episode 6 blog

"RE: Ep 6, Jeff's Blog"
Posted by Brownroach on 10-21-10 at 10:34 AM
I like the idea of the Quit Chip necklace.

So Jeff confirms that Marty could not have played the HII on the second vote. I wasn't sure whether we knew that or not.

Posted by Flowerpower on 10-21-10 at 11:13 AM
So they had him and the idol!! All they had to do was change their votes to Marty. But instead they voted Kelly B. I really don’t understand why Kelly B was seen as a bigger threat. Maybe I’ll ask them at the live show.

I couldn't agree more. They had him and the idol, and they still voted out Kelly B...are they too dumb to realize what they had, too afraid to change their votes? I just do not get it....it appeared as the stupidest move ever. Am I missing something?

Posted by CTgirl on 10-21-10 at 11:16 AM
They were too busy chillin' to talk about what to do on a revote!

Posted by Loree on 10-21-10 at 11:47 AM
Yes, I think they needed to get together on the revote. The original voters for Kelly B didn't understand to switch their vote to Marty on the revote. And the Marty voters did switch. Were they forbidden from discussing who to vote for in a revote? It will be interesting to see what they say when they return to camp. Was voting out Kelly B the plan or a mixup?

Posted by BrassFan on 10-21-10 at 12:11 PM
> Were they forbidden from
>discussing who to vote for
>in a revote? It
>will be interesting to see
>what they say when they
>return to camp. Was
>voting out Kelly B the
>plan or a mixup?

Normally, after a tie vote, there is another discussion before the revote. I guess nothing important was said, plus we had another tribal council to deal with, so they didn't bother showing us that part.

Posted by Brownroach on 10-21-10 at 12:24 PM
Normally, after a tie vote, there is another discussion before the revote.

I don't think so, brass fan. If there is a second tie, then they have to discuss and come to an agreement on which of the tied parties should leave. If they don't come to an agreement, the tied parties become immune and we go to the purple rock.

There's some discussion in the ECST thread that they may have preferred to get Kelly B out first. Kelly B said in a day-after comment that Brenda didn't want her on the jury because she knew Kelly B would never vote for her.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 10-21-10 at 04:49 PM
This makes two weeks in a row that a tribe mistakenly kept a rooster and axed a hen.

Secret scene about rice will endear you more to Na Onka (not). Nice Benry commentary.

They never get to talk before the revote; that's the brutal part. As was said, if they deadlock tie after revote, they are allowed a timed discussion to see if they can resolve it without going to tie-breaker.

Posted by SquidProQuo on 10-21-10 at 05:13 PM
I really wish they gave us the voting Insider Clip so we'd get more insight into what everyone was thinking.

I do find it interesting that Fabio was cool with voting out Kelly B (who seemed to like and defend in the past) but not Marty. I guess he's our free agent this season!

"Ep 7 blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 10-28-10 at 09:30 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/28/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-7/

Re Brenda: Jeff calls Brenda "the smartest player in the game" and compares her to Parv, but says that Brenda "lacks the killer instinct." E.g., He says it was her idea to get the idol from Marty, but she let Sash execute: "Brenda could have two idols right now....Instead, Sash gets the idol and now has the opportunity to win favor with Marty by keeping his word. It’s a huge move for Sash and a potentially big mistake by Brenda."

Re Sash: Jeff says his Freudian slip "was the single biggest mistake of the game so far."

Re Brenda and Sash: "Brenda and Sash are a pretty good team and right now seem tough to beat so long as they don’t turn on each other."

Re Jane: "I think Jane could get far in the game but the chances of her self-destructing are very high. Still not sure I’d keep her around though – she is extremely likable and if she does get to the end – write the check."

Re Chase: "A lot of people are bagging on Chase because of his inability to make a decision or stick with an alliance, but when Chase starts talking about his dad and their relationship he sucks me right back into liking him. Don’t let him get deep into this game or he could win his way to the end."

Deleted scene = Holly talking about how the shoe incident with Dan is all in the past because they've bonded and like each other. She says that she is like the "mom" of her tribe and Dan is like the dad. She says "the kids" love to hear Dan's funny stories about his Ferrari and Hummers, and he's promised to fly them all out to NY after the game.

"RE: Ep 7 blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 10-28-10 at 01:11 PM
It's interesting that Jeff confirms it was Brenda's idea (not Sash's) to get the idol from Marty. I was wondering about that, because from the editing it was hard to tell and almost made it seem like it was originally Sash's idea.

While I agree with Jeff that Brenda should have tried to get her hands on at least one of those 2 HIIs, there is no way she could have been the one to convince Marty. Face it, Marty hates her -- he even calls her the "spawn of he devil" and the "3-headed embodiment of evil" in this week's Insider Clips -- so it was smart on her part to get Sash to do the cajoling with Marty. She really didn't have a choice on that one, although now Sash will reap the rewards.

It must suck to have helped 2 different people to get the HII and not have one in your pocket -- I guess Jill knows the feeling too.

"RE: Ep 7 blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-04-10 at 09:07 AM
P.S. In last night's episode Brenda herself said it was Sash's idea to ask Marty for the idol -- so much for what Jeff says in his blog.

"Ep 8 Jeff Blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-04-10 at 09:05 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/04/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-8/

Lots of Jane love:
"Speaking of blooming… are you falling in love with Jane the same way I am? I like it all – from the comment about her shotgun… to how she trained for the show by running the stairs at her house… to doing P90X... Her effort at the immunity challenge was one of the most inspirational and impressive things this season."

Re Marty: "Marty is hollering that they should vote her (Jane) out, but nobody is listening. He’s right. If “the little old lady from North Carolina” gets to the end, she has a very good shot at winning. Marty’s problem is… he is always hollering."

Re NayOnka: "From a maturity point of view, Naonka is a seven-year-old....She’s selfish. She’s a know-it-all. She’s defiant. She’s a rule tester. She denies everything and only apologizes when she is actually caught doing something. She behaves in every conceivable way as though she were seven years old.... That’s why, at the end of the day, people like Brenda can still find her a little charming."

"RE: Ep 8 Jeff Blog"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 11-04-10 at 09:18 AM
P.S. There's a fun extra clip where Dalton Ross asks Jeff about his favorite challenge of all time. Jeff says it's the F3 challenge in Palau where Tom Westerman convinces Ian to step down off the buoy. He also talks about how when the Dream Teamers did it, it only went a few hours, so they were not prepared at all for the challenge to go into the dark (11 hours, 55 min.). They started a fire for light, but Tom said the smoke was getting in his eyes, so they had to put it out and brought in a generator instead. Nice to see the old footage and be reminded of Tom Westerman again.

There's also a Nay extra clip where she says that the people who are upset over her stealing food should just realize it's a game and get over it. She says she's thought about quitting so she could eat, but she doesn't want to let herself and her family down. She also says she knows she can beat everyone out there hands-down.

Posted by emydi on 11-04-10 at 10:30 AM
check out the clip after the best challenge..best marooning from Season 1 Jiffy looks so young!

Posted by Round Robin on 11-05-10 at 01:07 AM
Saying NaOnka has the maturity of a 7 year old is IMO a little too simplistic a way to describe her behavior. There's a little more to it than that. Yeah, that's about the right age level to ascribe to her maturity, but your mental and emotional growth can get a little stunted when you grow up and live in a place like South Central LA where a normal upbringing is not exactly the highest priority because you don't have a normal family in the first place and/or you and your family along with most of the people you encounter during a typical day are more worried about A. having enough food to put in your belly, and B. getting to school or work, through the day, then back home at night without getting any knife wounds or bullet holes in you, and having to repeat those two difficult feats 365 days a year till the day you die in a place where they really are difficult feats. 27 years in a place like that can mentally and emotionally screw you up but good, and NaOnka isn't the first Survivor that has happened to, and she won't be the last. She had her mental and emotional maturation process essentially interrupted at its current level because she comes from a place and an environment from which few people escape with unwarped minds, and JiffyProbe and the other Survivors would deal with her better if they understood that.

Posted by kiki_k on 11-05-10 at 02:04 AM
IMO, that might be an explanation for NaOnka's behavior, but it isn't an excuse for it. And regardless of the reason for her behavior, I don't think anyone should have to try to understand it or try to deal with it. It seems to me that the girl has serious mental problems and, imo, Survivor needs to re-evaluate its psych exam if NaOnka was able to pass it.

Plus, I seem to recall that Tyrone came from a pretty similiar background as you describe, and I didn't see him acting like NaOnka.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 11-05-10 at 09:34 AM
Yes, Tyrone was from Compton, South Central. The guy who made it when his friends died. He seems like an exceptional person.

I used to go visit my husband's grandma there back in the late 60's. It wasn't as bad then as it got later, but still it was like, oh,the guy across the street's in jail for murder, and so forth. Nothing normal about growing up with that.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about it because people should get a shot even if they have stuff to overcome. I do fear though that they give them psych tests looking for people who are borderline, or even fail.

Wezzie posted that NO's dating Dreamz ... perfect.

Posted by kiki_k on 11-05-10 at 04:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-05-10 AT 06:22 PM (EST)

I agree that people should get a shot even if they have stuff to overcome -- I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I meant was I think that NaOnka has mental problems, and yes, they may have been gotten worse/become more pronounced/gone untreated due to her background, but the "seed" of the mental instability was there within her. Otherwise, everyone who grows up with a background like hers would act the way she does -- and I just don't think that is true.
And I'm not saying this about NaOnka because she is so unlikable on screen -- I honestly do believe there is something mentally wrong with her. I read a pre-show interview with her & the author described her as being "positively giddy" which is downright odd compared to what we have seen of her. Something is just wrong with her that I believe goes well beyond the conditions in which she grew up.
I hope they don't use the psych test to find borderline people -- but given the previous casting of Russell (whom I sincerely believe is a sociopath) & now NaOnka (not a sociopath, but I think maybe a borderline personality), I'm afraid you may be right about that.
NaOnka and Dreamz dating? I'm speechless. God help them both.

eta: I should have stated above that obviously one cannot make an accurate psychological diagnosis of mental disorders without personally treating a person. These are just my impressions from their behavior on tv.

Posted by Round Robin on 11-06-10 at 01:15 AM
Dreamz was very much on my mind as I wrote my previous post, in fact I think he's screwed up worse than NaOnka is. NaOnka's already had one divorce, if she is ever insane enough to marry this guy a second divorce is a lead pipe cinch. And even as much as I've grown to despise her for her selfish behavior on Survivor, I don't wish marriage to Dreamz on her. That guy is EVIL.

"Ep 9"
Posted by emydi on 11-11-10 at 10:59 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/11/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-9/

Disses on Chase

Likes Jane (of course) and Brenda

Compares Sash's play to Sandra's

Focuses on Jud in the Jud and Benry let's be stupid talk

Says Marty should have listened more

"RE: Ep 9"
Posted by dabo on 11-12-10 at 01:16 AM
Well, Marty should have shut up and listened, paid attention, more. And his personal vendetta against Jane was really stupid in that he limited his options. With a little work and some smarts he might have been able to arrange a blindside and gotten both NaOnka and her HII out of the game, none of this wasted "flush out the idol" stuff just go for the jugular. But anyway, Jeff often says interesting things, and sometimes he throws in total BS like

I am so happy Naonka is still in this game. In order to have a good season you need big polarizing characters like Naonka. Love her or hate her, she is a gift from the reality gods.

Nu-uh. The whole world cheered when Jerri got the boot in Oz, and kept watching anyway. Two seasons of Russell and the only reason some people are watching the show is Russell got creamed both times in the final vote tally. Wake up, Jeff.

"Episode 10"
Posted by kiki_k on 11-18-10 at 10:21 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/18/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-10/#more-111913

I'm just cutting & pasting the end here because he gives his take on all the remaining players' chances of winning:

MOVING FORWARD…THIS GAME IS ON

Like her or not, Naonka is playing the game. She’s a fair weather participant for sure, but when she wants to play she is a pot stirrer. Marty would be proud. Naonka could win if she ends up in the final with Purple Kelly. Even then she would need to pray.

Fabio is also starting to turn it on. Last week he was laying back, playing “cool.” This week he was part of a very big move taking out a major power player. I think Fabio is really starting to figure out this game.

Lurking in the shade is Jane. If things keep going the way they are, people may forget Jane is even in the game. If Jane gets to the end she would very likely be a millionaire.

The Redeemer is Holly. I’m usually a pretty good gauge of what the audience is feeling and I think a lot of you are starting to like Holly and have forgotten about those first five days.

The “no chance” is Dan. I just can’t see a scenario in which Dan could win this game.

The other “no chance” is Purple Kelly. Sweet young woman. I like her. But she hasn’t earned it and unless she really turns it on, her best finish is to make herself a great person to take to the end because she can’t win.

Sash is “in trouble.” He’s going to have to work hard to stay alive now that his partner is gone. If he can do it, he could make a strong case that he deserves to win. Otherwise he could be gone soon.

Benry is a “long shot.” He could make it to the end based on physical abilities but at this point he doesn’t have a strong enough case to win it.

The wildcard is Chase. Chase is likable enough to win this game and wishy-washy enough to screw it all up for himself and somebody else. Being in an alliance with Chase is risky.

Did I forget anybody?

"RE: Episode 10"
Posted by dabo on 11-18-10 at 12:37 PM
Yeah, in the emotionally unstable game of NaOnka, this week she rolled the dice and landed on the rational square. Amazing. On the other hand she let Brenda go to the jury thinking NaOnka was the one to blame. Can NaOnka really turn her game around and come out not only a winner but a hero? Anyone can at any time, theoretically, but she's got a lot of past to overcome and probably won't get either. There are already three members of the jury who are unlikely to give her their votes.

If it came down to a choice between Dan and Kelly, I'd give the nod to Dan. He's the old boxer who has been in one too many scrapes and shouldn't have been let back in the ring, but there he is anyway and he keeps hanging in. Kid Kelly is just in over her head, playing Survivor on a learners permit.

"Recap show"
Posted by kiki_k on 11-26-10 at 03:27 PM
Jeff did post a short little blog after the recap episode. Here it is (emphasis mine):

Hey guys, I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and/or your friends. If you are spending it alone, I hope you’ll have me at your table as a guest in “spirit!”
I’ll be spending it out of state with friends in a very sunny climate. So you won’t be hearing much from me!
LAST NIGHT’S EPISODE
I know that even die hard fans don’t always enjoy the “special scenes” episodes because you want to see somebody voted out! But hopefully you found some of the new scenes enlightening as we wind our way down to the finish.
NEXT WEEK’S EPISODE
We’re back with a regular episode next week and I must tell you… it is one of my favorite episodes of the entire season! From start to finish I think it is really top notch!
Here’s a clue: I think a lot of you are going to be really thrilled by the episode.
That’s it. That’s all you get.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Best episode of the entire season next week?

"RE: Recap show"
Posted by Round Robin on 11-27-10 at 04:12 AM
Don't know if it'll be the best but he ain't bull$hitting when he says a lot of people will be thrilled about it. And that's all I got to say about that till they show it.

"It will be interesting..."
Posted by Round Robin on 12-02-10 at 05:51 AM
...to see what Jeffo has to say about THAT episode! This ain't gonna be pretty.

"EW blog is up."
Posted by Snidget on 12-02-10 at 08:19 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/02/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-12/

"RE: EW blog is up."
Posted by suzzee on 12-02-10 at 09:26 AM
I think Jeff will be right on his assessment of how NaOnka and Kelly reflect on their quitting. NaOnka is probably never going to learn, she's a little old to spew out that teenager line of I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Kelly should have been gone way before now and I think knew it. She was Sash's goat and vote and she won't realize what quitting this means until she's had time to think and regret.

What a pair of space wasters. I hope next time Survivor has a quitter that they do an edit more like Kelly, nonexistent.

A Tribe masterpiece

Posted by Loree on 12-02-10 at 12:10 PM
After Janu quit and made the jury they should have changed the contract/rules. It should have been added to the next season rules that if you quit you do not sit on the jury.

Posted by arkiegrl on 12-02-10 at 12:48 PM
I think they should have something in the contract along the lines of if you quit, you lose 1/2 of the money you would receive based on when you exit.

Posted by Brownroach on 12-02-10 at 02:26 PM
I agree with this idea. I don't mind quitters being allowed to sit on the jury so much (though I'm not crazy about it), but I think they should be punished monetarily. They should stipulate in the contract that if you decide to quit, no matter at what point during the game, you will receive only the minimum compensation, i.e. the same amount that the person voted off first receives.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-02-10 at 03:07 PM
I agree with this idea completely.

I'm hoping, though, that future Survivors will realize that carrying a goat can backfire on you as it appears to have happened for Sash who counted on having Kelly/NaZonka along for the ride, and instead elect to boot those who are weak or useless early to avoid getting screwed if they bail, and keep the fighters around a little longer (Marty/Alina/Brenda).

Nah, probably not going to cause anyone to change their game plan.

Posted by dabo on 12-02-10 at 12:21 PM
In addition to not being a lawyer, I’m also not a psychologist, but it never seems to stop me from offering up an opinion.

Got to give him credit for making the best he could out of the manure they were forced to show on TV last night. I'm not a psychologist either but here goes...

Kelly, I think, is just a kid who got into something over her head, I hate that she quit but I expect she will too in later years.

NaOnka seems to have some very severe psychological problems, I can't imagine anyone her age who is that delusional could be even semi-functional in real life. Either the extremes of the game pushed her further into her problems, that's not her normal, or she has a support structure of some sort in real life that allows her to be at least semi-functional. They should seriously consider having her committed for her own good, she needs real professional psychiatric help.

Posted by Chez on 12-02-10 at 01:50 PM
Survivor has to figure out how to deal with quitters in the future, and make sure they are not on the jury. Jeff said in his blog that the show is concerned with being "fair", and this includes fairness to possible alliance-mates of the quitters who would suffer loss of winner-votes at the end, if the quitters are disqualified.

But if those potential winners know upfront that quitters won't be on the jury, and won't have a vote, they would be influenced to try as hard as they can to have the potential quitters change their minds and NOT QUIT!

Regarding how Survivor would fill the missing jury slot(s) I don't know - I guess they would have to revert to people voted off before the jury was formed, and take the chance that if those people were not kept segregated, they might end up voting while having special knowledge, or something like that.

Posted by BrassFan on 12-02-10 at 02:36 PM
>Regarding how Survivor would fill the
>missing jury slot(s) I don't
>know - I guess they
>would have to revert to
>people voted off before the
>jury was formed

That's also problematic. That would bring Yve into the jury this season. She was on Espada for the length of her stay, and there are members remaining (Sash and Fabio) who were on LaFlor the entire time. How could she possibly make a valid judgement on either of them, having had no interaction with them....

"Ghost Jury"
Posted by dabo on 12-02-10 at 03:18 PM
Or, actually, alternate jurors. Have the last two pre-jury boots attend every TC as alternates in the event of quitters, up their pay a bit, and if they take the place of a quitter pay them the quitter's pay as well.

Posted by kiki_k on 12-02-10 at 04:24 PM
I've stated many times that I think NaOnka has serious mental problems, so of course I agree with dabo's assessment of her. I don't know if she needs to be committed, but she def. needs therapy & meds.

As for how the quiters effect the jury, I don't have a problem with a 7 person jury -- on previous survivors there has been a 7 person jury -- so I wouldn't deal with having alternate jurors or anything like that. The jury is the # of people voted out after merge (or wherever the cut off was for that Survivor) who did not quit. If that is 8, 7, 6 or 5, too bad.

Posted by Round Robin on 12-02-10 at 07:47 PM
In the event of post-jury quits, I think the rules should state that the circumstances of the quits shall be considered in determining whether the quitters get on the jury and how much they get paid. That sort of unofficially happens now anyway, but it should be officially enshrined in the written rules. Basically the criteria should be that if somebody quits who could have continued and didn't have good reason to quit, they are off the jury, an alternate juror is installed as described elsewhere in this thread, and if the quitter played a major role in the most recent boot to the point that the person might not have been booted if not for the quitter's actions, that most recently booted person may reenter the game. Brenda took a screwing by getting booted only to have 2 of her booters immediately quit, and I think she should have been considered for reentry into the game.

"No pity."
Posted by Estee on 12-02-10 at 06:30 PM
He spent nearly two seasons lauding the steaming pile of psychosis that was and is RussHell. The casting department went out and got him more of the same, only female and less strategic. Now he's decided he doesn't like it? When you boast about the quality of the dish you've been serving, you have very little right to complain when the chef brings you seconds.

"Amen n/m"
Posted by kiki_k on 12-02-10 at 07:07 PM
n/m

"RE: Amen n/m - "
Posted by NedraSue on 12-03-10 at 12:55 PM
My opinion is that yes, quitters need to be addressed up front and yes, they need to have whatever pay the very 1st person voted off gets. No more. Plus they should be charged lodging and airfare. That may make some of these people decide that by quiting can hurt them financially also.

I also, don't think they should get any part of the jury or loser lodge...they should get trotted right off the the airport and sent home. Granted, it could be only after they were made to sign a bunch of papers about keeping their mouths shut or they would have to pay back CBS/MB whatever. It could work.

I have said it before...I have watched EVERY episode since the Boreno merge and I don't ever want to see quitters faces again. I think they shouldn't get one part of any 15 minutes of fame! Being edited out of the show...is priceless to an avid fan like myself. Why did they give Na so much air time...? I think this whole situation will have a very negative resolve for her.

I also agree that some of this is Sash's fault. When he heard that these two were planning to quit, he should have been all over them... telling them how great they are and he would take them and only them to the end, that if they were able to over come it, he would mention it in his final speech about how they pervailed, whatever...he is full of BULL, why couldn't he come up with something to keep his 'own' in the game. It is just as much his fault as theirs for leaving.

"12/8 episode (lost track of episode #)"
Posted by GOOU on 12-09-10 at 11:09 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/09/jeff-probst-blogs-survivornicaragua-episode-13/#more-114928

"RE: 12/8 episode (lost track of episode #)"
Posted by katethegreat on 12-09-10 at 12:22 PM
I am confused by Jeff's conclusions - "Taking Benry over Fabio was a big vote. I think Sash made a good move to back the guys."

What do you think he meant? Sash backed the ladies plus Chase.

So why does he say this, and he then says "Holly is in trouble, Jane is in trouble".

I can't see why . . . I wonder if that was a mistake? Or a SLIP

Posted by dabo on 12-09-10 at 02:23 PM
A Freudian slip perhaps, but Jeff may have been trying to zero in on Sash's tactic of trying to influence how the remaining players are thinking. Sash pushed the anyone but Jane at final she's too big a threat to win idea, which Chase and Benry also expressed; while Holly had to talk with Chase without Jane, just the two of them, and Jud dismissed Jane and Holly as least strategic thinkers. Sash misdirected Jud to vote Holly after the idea of misdirecting his vote to Jane was nixed. Chase even told Jane and Holly that he would solidify Sash to their alliance with the anyone but Jane at final mindset.

So, yeah, the women are in trouble as long as Sash is playing the anyone but Jane at final card and using Holly as the alternate vote when Jane cannot be targeted. The other concept that all the guys were concerned about is physical challenge threats, and one of those went this time, leaving Chase, Jud and Jane with that target on their backs. He's going to want to play down the Sash as mental challenge threat as much as possible and keep them thinking in terms of physical challenges.

Posted by Karchita on 12-09-10 at 03:45 PM
It was Chase who wanted to target Ben. By going along with Chase, what Sash may have accomplished is to bust up both alliances. The men are fractured, and if I were Fabio or Dan, I'd be worried. But the Chase + women may be fractured, too, if Chase votes with Sash and the other guys next time to get rid of one of the women.

Bouquet by c2p

"Dec 16 Episode...."
Posted by Flowerpower on 12-16-10 at 09:40 AM
Here's the link.

We all know how Jiffy loves the love, and especially the man on man love. I think it's fair to say that we were all flabbergasted (sp?) when the three lumps on the left of our screen, Dan, Fabio, and Jane, all voted with their original votes. How much more could Jiffy spell it out for them! Just validates my feelings for the entire season...

Here is the note-worthy portion of the blog for me:

n addition to crowning a winner, I’m so looking forward to having Coach Jimmy Johnson back to chat. Rumor has it he’s bringing a special guest with him. I’m very curious as to who will win the Sprint Award voted on by you guys.
And I can’t wait to talk to Naonka! Yes I’m going to talk to her! You’re crazy if you think I’d pass up that gold, especially during a “live” show! Who knows what she might say or do? I’ll be sure to have security close by in case she tries to take me out.
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
Finally, we have a big announcement regarding the next season of Survivor that I think you’re going to want to check out! It’s.. EPIC.

I am SO ready for next season!

"RE: Dec 16 Episode...."
Posted by Estee on 12-16-10 at 10:53 AM
It’s.. EPIC.

He just doesn't have any more credibility to lose.

Posted by byoffer on 12-16-10 at 11:17 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-10 AT 11:18 AM (EST)

nevermind. Mixing up my eps.

"Jeff is an idiot. "
Posted by kiki_k on 12-16-10 at 04:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-10 AT 04:30 PM (EST)

But Jud is not. I understand that a tie vote would have been more exciting, but why in the world would Fabio want to keep Jane?
First: Fabio's only chance of staying in the game is to win ICs -- he knows that -- and Jane has already proven to be his biggest competition in endurance challenges (she really, really shouldn't have shown off on the holding the iron bar over the tile challenge at the merge). Given that the F4 IC is usually endurance, it was his best move to get rid of Jane.
Second: keeping Jane & booting Holly would not have guaranteed that Jane would have stayed with him & Dan -- Chase probably could have, and would have, smoothed things over with Jane & it would be Jane/Chase/Sash v. Dan & Fabio instead of Holly/Chase/Sash v. Dan & Fabio -- and, as said above, Jane has a better chance at the ICs than Holly does.
Third: If he had kept Jane & Jane stayed with him, he would probably have to turn on her at some point (no one, including Fabio, wants Jane in the finals) and, thus, lose a jury vote. This way Jane isn't blaming him for her going home & he is pretty much guaranteed her jury vote if he makes it to F3.

Getting rid of Jane now, in this way, was the best move for Fabio. He wouldn't have been any "safer" if she stayed (ie, he still would need to win every IC in order to get to the F3) and he isn't the one who backstabbed her. And unlike Chase, Fabio was able to keep his mouth shut in the face of Jeff's proding about why the 3 didn't join up. Did you see the jury's reaction to Chase letting the cat out of the bag re: their final plans? Yeah -- Jud isn't going to go there.

Chess is more than about what the obvious move is. It is about seeing moves in advance.

"RE: Jeff is an idiot. "
Posted by emydi on 12-17-10 at 01:15 PM
The one thing if Jane stayed would have been, for Dan especially, and Jud, to a lesser degree, is a shield for the next vote at F5. She would have been on the chopping block before them. But you never know what would happen, she could win F5 II or something else could happen. Def. for Jud it was the right move to get rid of Jane.

Was the purple rock the tie breaker? If so, too risky for Jud. Did Vecepia have to pull a rock with the immunity necklace? If it was fire making Jane would have won imo.

"RE: Jeff is an idiot. "
Posted by michel on 12-17-10 at 08:25 PM
It would have been the purple rock. Jane, Holly and Fabio would definitely have been safe if the others had kept the votes dead-locked. I think Chase and Sash would have had to pull rocks because they were not immune from getting votes but that has never been confirmed. It's possible that even the players didn't know exactly what would have happened although I certainly would have asked. Either way, it was not in Dan's best interest to force a tie and face the rock.

Was it smart for Fabio to stay true to his intentions and eliminate Jane? It can hurt his chances if the jury thinks he's dumb but it would help him if they liked his honesty. It did hurt his edit however.

Next season: Epic? If what I read about the premise is still valid I may just throw up instead.

Posted by Chez on 12-19-10 at 02:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-10 AT 08:14 PM (EST)

In his blog about last episode, Jeff said this about Jimmy Johnson at the finale:

In addition to crowning a winner, I’m so looking forward to having Coach Jimmy Johnson back to chat. Rumor has it he’s bringing a special guest with him.

I was curious whether Jimmy would be on his Sunday Fox prefootball game panel today, and was surprised to see him there. I think that show is in NYC. He has a busy day, to get from there out to LA for the reunion show. (I guess with his millions, he can afford a charter jet.) It will be even more interesting if Jimmy J is still on the football show at halftime.

As far as his guest at the reunion show is concerned, I am guessing it might be a football celebrity, maybe one of the people on the Fox show. This includes Terry Bradshaw, Michael Strahan and a few others whose names I don't recall.

ETA: Jimmy Johnson was still on Fox in NYC (I think) at ~2:30 PM EST. IDK, it seems like cutting it a little close.

Posted by Round Robin on 12-20-10 at 01:15 AM
I thought the Fox shw was in LA, not the Big Apple?

Posted by Chez on 12-20-10 at 07:29 AM
I wasn't sure - that would explain it.

"Probst blogs the Finale and other stuff"
Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-18-10 at 09:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-10 AT 09:08 PM (EST)

Popwrap - Jeff analyzes F5 and talks future
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/jeff_probst_8wOnOVYwThRfDUzhsyyzeL

Insiders' Podcast -- Jeff on future ways to deal with quitters and talks Finale
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/17/tv-insiders-podcast-jeff-probst-survivor-nicaragua-finale/

"RE: Probst blogs the Finale and other stuff"
Posted by SquidProQuo on 12-18-10 at 11:53 PM
Thanks OFG for bringing this over. Thank God they won't bring Nay back for All-Stars! (Although sounds like she would have been a shoo-in if she hadn't quit.) I agree with Jeff that Marty and Brenda deserve a 2nd shot.

Have a happy holiday everyone!

Posted by Flowerpower on 12-22-10 at 08:30 AM
She’s that good of a character, we could have used her several times.

This statement was in reference to NaOnka....Jiffy also calls her the best villain of all time. I think Jeff has taken a temporary loss of his senses. If this is the kind of character that he as a producer thinks is great, than perhaps it is time for him to step down. I hope he's just trying to defend the casting of such a despicable person. Jeff also seems quite defensive in this article. Noting that perhaps this season was a bit dull as it was on the heels of the 20 greatest players to ever play the game. Jeff, get a clue! Casting has seriously hit an all time low. It seems that casting looks for so many ridiculous, strange, and outlandish qualities in people that they are over-looking basic intelligence. These folks are not at the head of the class, and therefore seem really incapable of reacting in smart or interesting ways. Even when Jeff spelled it out for these people, they were incapable of reacting at all. Chase....for me was extremely dim-witted, and was incapable of making a stand or a choice. I could rant on and on, but I sure hope casting learns it lesson...seriously doubt they will.

PW: Who from this season might qualify for All-Star status?
Jeff: Marty is definitely someone I would consider because he’s a pot stirrer and plays hard. Brenda, for sure. I think she’d play a very different game if she comes back. Brenda also has a lot going for her: she’s fit, she’s attractive, she’s well-spoken and women are traditionally much tougher for us to find because there are fewer who play a hard and aggressive game. I don’t know why that is, but it puts Brenda on the short list.

I cannot believe that he would consider this as well. I don't want to see anyone back from this season at all, well maybe Fabio, but he's already won a million. Marty is such an egotist and incapable of playing with regard to others. Master strategist, he's definitely not! Brenda, I don't think there has ever been another Desperate Attention Whore that compares to her. She deserves the title, DAW Extraordinaire! What a serious loser, she voted for Chase simply because she thought she would throw him one vote as she thought it was a land-slide for Fabio....in other words her vote for Chase was a sympathy vote....that loser could have cost Fabio the game, and handed it to a man with no back bone. Because she felt sorry for him. Give me a break. Get some real people in here and get rid of these people with an agenda.

Jiffy even notes: When you’re looking at the people in a final, you want them to stand up and say, “listen dumb asses, you’re sitting over there because of me – that’s why you write my name down. Not because you like me, or because I need the money. You vote for me because I earned it.” If this is what you expect the winner to stand up and say, I'm sure it means you EXPECT the jury to vote for a person that has indeed EARNED it, not a flippin sympathy vote! Brenda, imo, is a complete DAW, and having her back to play this game would be a huge disservice to everyone...imho.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-22-10 at 09:47 AM
Great post! I read and am in awe.

I fear that the Na Onka Mom interview was trying to soften Na Onka. I think they DO want her back, but they're stuck. I think they hoped she would say she wished she hadn't quit. But she did not.

So let's hope that's the last of her on Survivor.
They need to stop casting people who are playing characters for the camera. Fabio played a character to the others in the game, to deceive them. I love that. Na Onka, I really think it was some weird idea that she would make good TV.

I 100% agree about Brenda's vote, and Alina's vote, and even Holly's vote. Jeez, she fell for the old I'll give 10% to charity ploy. Chase almost won because the women couldn't vote for the clear winner of the bunch. Arghh.

The really scary thing is that the only two females (can't call them women) who voted for Fabio were Kelly Purple and Na Onka. How unexpected and bizarre. I didn't want them on the jury, nor thought they deserved it. OTOH they had the luxury of choosing between three people, none of whom voted them out.

Back to Jeff -- if only he could see that the fans don't want cartoon villains, don't want people who are camera hogs, playing for Facetime.

He loved Shane, Coach, Russell, now Na Onka.

Look at TAR; it just had its most loved season in years. Why, because NONE of the teams were over the top dysfunctional and abusive or pushing each other or fighting. Chad and Nick were as bad as it got. I think the popularity of TAR 17 says something about the viewers being sick of drama queen DAWS on reality TV.

Posted by dabo on 12-22-10 at 11:25 AM
Agree. There's gonna be drama regardless. Just reglar folk put in this contrived situation and pushed past their limits, that's interesting, they don't need divas and blofelds.

All this great villain stuff coming from Jeff really does irk me off because it is nonsense. NaOnka went out there simply to hog the camera, upstage everyone; as a player she at best thought amping up Russell's bully strategy into a terrorist strategy was a good way to play the game. It's the least interesting most unintellectual approach to the game, I am king caveman fear my club me want more cheese. Dan had a better game.

Posted by BrassFan on 12-22-10 at 11:59 AM
>All this great villain stuff coming
>from Jeff really does irk
>me off because it is
>nonsense.

I disagree that it's nonsense. Jeff wants one thing, and one thing only. He wants people to watch the show.

I know several people in my own little circle who couldn't stand the idea of Survivor and who never watched it...until Heroes vs. Villians....and why did they watch that season? Because those of us who watch the show continued to argue all during the Samoa season about whether Russell was evil or brilliant.

People like Russell and NaOnka get people talking, and talking very animated... and when people talk, it gets other people interested.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-22-10 at 05:21 PM
The problem is, a lot of people who have loved the show for ages were turned off by Russell and after Na Onka they seriously wonder if they care to watch any more. Yes, Jeff cares about the ratings, but supposedly he cares about the diehard fans too, and he's wrong about what they like, judging by tons of feedback I've seen on the net.

I started watching this show to see the real emotion and drama that came out in ordinary people due to the situational stress. When they cast people who treat the show as an audition, the drama becomes very contrived.

I actually enjoyed Russell's game on Samoa, once the tribes merged. Once he started to protect the remnants of his tribe, he was interesting. The saboteur stuff was not as clever as he thought, and the endless bragging irritated me.

Posted by kiki_k on 12-22-10 at 06:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-22-10 AT 06:12 PM (EST)

Ditto everything you wrote FloPo -- Ditto & Amen. Especially about re-casting Brenda and Marty. Brenda is lucky she is good looking because that is all she has going for her. Marty, as I've said several times before, is a conceited d!ck. If I never see him again it will be too soon. The only people worthy of a recast this season are Jud (because he is awesome) and, in all honesty, Jimmy T. because Jimmy T. said the game "humbled" him & I think he was sincere about that. I think if given another shot, Jimmy T. could play a very good game & I think he deserves a second chance.

Posted by michel on 12-28-10 at 01:16 PM
While I agree that Jeff is biased towards the later seasons (No one will ever be seen as bigger villains than Jerri and Fairplay) I do believe Marty, Brenda, Sash and Alina were above average players.

Marty had the game in hand if the guys had stuck together at F11. It was a close call.

Like probably only Chris and Parvati before her, Brenda turned the tables, going from the planned first boot into dominating the game. She also had great positioning if Na'Onka hadn't been so volatile.

Sash apparently has been a fan since day 1 and he certainly patterned his game after Todd. He came close to winning it all.

Alina, I think, did the best out of a terrible situation.

Mostly, I liked this season because there were very few sheeps. Even if the gameplay wasn't always smart, the majority of players looked for their best moves.