URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 743
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Melinda and her Wide Eyed Amazement."

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 03-13-07 at 08:53 PM
I am so sick of this girl and her "golly gosh gee, did I do good?" expressions.

She knows she's good. Remember the dedications show - she thanked her hairdresser and stylist, whom she brought with her? I thought, the girl has an entourage already!

To me, it's all an act. The judges gushed about her humility and lack of ego, and she went with it. I mean, is she really going to do this EVERY week?

I think she's one big fat phoney.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Melinda and her Wide Eyed Amazement."
Posted by agman on 03-13-07 at 09:08 PM
I'm not convinced she's a phony, but I missed her dedication on the show. That does sound pretty bad. I think for me the jury is still out. Peace out

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 03-14-07 at 06:47 AM

I wondered if she has money to back her, because of the stylist and hairdresser, but they could also just be good friends of hers who want to see Melinda succeed. I really am not bothered by her wide-eyed amazement, real or not. That girl can sing!

Clickable sig

Posted by nogwart on 03-14-07 at 07:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-07 AT 07:09 AM (EST)

If it's an act, Jennifer Hudson has some pretty serious (acting) competition in my opinion. Those tears looked real to me, and are a refreshing change from the usual "Ain't I great" attitude we get from most contestants. And, for me, she has passed Lakisha to the top position with last night's performance.

Posted by brvnkrz on 03-14-07 at 08:07 AM
I fully agree. It IS refreshing to not have some little turd with a huge ego.

Arkie Rocks!!!

Posted by true on 03-14-07 at 08:41 AM
Yep, that kind of emotional reaction to the HUGE ovation she got made perfect sense to me. Heck, I tear up at home on my couch, when the crowd goes wild. I can only imagine how I'd be if that crowd reaction was directed at me.

About Melinda's friends...she was a back up singer after all, I'm sure she has lots of friends who are in related businesses. I doubt they are on her payroll.

Posted by priestdi on 03-14-07 at 02:09 PM

yeah I agree. she feels real to me.

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-07 at 09:46 AM
I went and checked the East Coast Spoiler Thread.

They are her two close friends who help her with the styling and all of that.

Not two hired professionals who do this work for a living.

That makes a difference for me in the "how fake is she".

I do think the "Golly, Gee" is authentic for me.

Yep, she has been working in the industry as a back-up singer, but she very much seems to be suprised that she can be the lead and that people like her in that role.

Singing backup she may have always believed she wasn't good enough, or may have had people in the industry telling her the most she can hope for is being a backup singer. After all if you got a good backup singer you want to keep them, and keep them as backup. You aren't likely to do anything to build up their ego so they think they can leave and go out on their own as a lead singer. You don't want the competition, and you don't want to have to find someone else to take their place.

She very much seems like a lot of people I know that always believed they were never quite good enough. Both from being too hard on themselves and from having others trying to keep them from really going for the big prize. Getting praise that says you really are that good can be very overwhelming if you've always gotten the message that you'll never be the star, just the one that works for the star.

Posted by LakerLuv on 03-14-07 at 12:25 PM
I totally agree with you. I think she is finally being told she can be the "star" and she's believing it. I wouldn't be surprised if in the past, she felt she couldn't be out front because of how the industry may support singers who have a certain "look" over talent. American Idol levels the playing field and she's able to shine and let her talent speak for her.

Posted by dragonflies on 03-14-07 at 10:38 AM
I believe she at least started off with a certain amount of humility and wide eyed attitude. However, everyone has told her she is good, she has got to know it. She can tone it down. I did think the tears were real last night. It was night one, it was an emotional song, and her first time on that stage in front of that audience.

I will say I would much rather have her "golly gosh gee" instead of some of the past contestants who argued with the Judges.

Posted by brvnkrz on 03-15-07 at 07:26 AM
As someone who does not take compliments well, I can understand how she feels. Someone can pay me a compliment 100 times and I still won't believe it. So I'm still believing that this girl still doesn't feel like a star.

Arkie Rocks!!!

Posted by FOXmePUHLEEZ on 03-21-07 at 02:12 PM
I have an awful problem w/that. Which is why I have no personal style to speak of. I can't stand compliments or the attention. Am old and STILL trying to work through it. If I get a new hairstyle and they keep talking about it, I put it BACK like it was ... in a bun. Can't handle the attention. She's come a long way from the auditions, but it still has to seem like a dream.

Posted by LakerLuv on 03-14-07 at 12:22 PM
Give her a break! Everyone is not a snot nosed media hog like some contestants. She's real and she's humble about her talent. The "entourage" she spoke of are unpaid close friends that have known her for years. She comes off as very genuine. Her tears were honest and real to me. I love Melinda and hope this show propels her to great things in the music industry.

Posted by Wasabi on 03-14-07 at 01:10 PM
I think after years of being a second-level performer to someone else, it will take more than just a couple of weeks to grow into a higher self-esteem. Melinda is an absolutely astounding performer. Charming as she is, however, she is not what one would call a classic beauty. Don't take me wrong, I think she's adorable but in a show business her looks probably held back and relegated her to a back-up singer. For Melinda to come into her own as a star should and will take more of ego-stroking.

I truly hope she wins and she would be the first AI contestant whose CD I would buy. It will take a bit longer for me to get tired of "golly gosh gee, did I do good?" attitude.And there are worse vices one can have, than humility (fake or not).

The one thing I really wonder, if there is a way to find out who she sang back-up to? It would be fun to know if they are vocally any comparable to Melinda.

Posted by Wasabi on 03-14-07 at 01:31 PM
Just found the answer to my own question, if anyone else is interested:

She is one of US Gospel Music community's own. At age 29, Doolittle of Brentwood, TN, has already performed a run of backup singing duties for a number of artists before auditioning for American Idol. Her credits include work with Cece Winans, Anointed, Aaron Neville, Vicki Yoh'e, Jaci Velasquez, George Huff, Natalie Grant, Kirk Whalum, Sheila Walsh, Ayiesha Woods, Newsong and many more.

Not that I am astute enough to know any of them to be able to compare to Melinda.

Posted by LakerLuv on 03-14-07 at 02:58 PM
George Huff was an American Idol contestant either the year Fantasia won or the year Ruben won.

All of those singers have fantastic voices so she has backed up some great talent.

Posted by priestdi on 03-14-07 at 03:05 PM
season 3, Fantasia.

didn't he get added back in after another top 32 person got kicked? (that wasn't frenchie's year was it?) and then he made the top 12 as a wild card? really nice, decent guy. fun to watch and listen to too.

here's a bit of forgotten trivia, I ran across it a couple days ago when I was looking up that season.

8 women and 4 guys made the top 12.

which is why they changed the system.

4 women in the finals ... fantasia, diana, latoya and .... urgh. someone. lol.

ah I cheated and looked. jasmine!! hah.

Posted by Wasabi on 03-14-07 at 03:48 PM
Thanks. Third season was the only one that I totally skipped.

"TV Guide Blurbs"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-07 at 06:18 PM
TV Guide had blurbs on the Top 12.

Part of the "was I really good" could be that she was, "Tone deaf as a child, she was only allowed to lip-synch in elementary school choirs."

That doesn't set you up to have the kind of I know I sing good no matter ego issues we see with some of the other peeps.

I'd still rather see someone that doesn't get how good they are than someone that doesn't believe they can ever sing anything badly.

At least once in awhile the contestants know they blew it when they did.

"I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!" Tom Lehrer

Posted by MollyTV on 03-15-07 at 05:24 AM
i know i am in the minority on this one...but i am with you.
i noticed it right off the bat...and my comments to my hubby/sidekick was...Hey! ryan is sick of her act too... the second show he looked at her and said in disbelief..."don't look so scared all the time"...."you can't be serious"...

i think she can sing..yep..i do...but get that look off your face.
mollytv

"I'm not alone!"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 03-15-07 at 08:37 PM
Thank goodness for you MollyTV and angelworth29, I thought I was alone on this one!

That's funny you mention Ryan - I noticed that too, and I also thought Simon was going to call her on it, just the way he said "why are you crying?". I think if she keeps it up next week, he'll say something for sure.

To everyone that thinks it's genuine, hey, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just too cynical - but it just didn't feel genuine to me.

I guess time will tell.

Cheers everybody.

"RE: I'm not alone!"
Posted by emydi on 03-16-07 at 10:57 AM
I'm still giving her the ben of the doubt but if it continues, I'll be a bit suspect...

"RE: I'm not alone!"
Posted by AshLanie on 03-19-07 at 07:05 AM
>Thank goodness for you MollyTV and
>angelworth29, I thought I was
>alone on this one!
>
>That's funny you mention Ryan -
>I noticed that too, and
>I also thought Simon was
>going to call her on
>it, just the way he
>said "why are you crying?".
> I think if she
>keeps it up next week,
>he'll say something for sure.
>
>
>To everyone that thinks it's genuine,
>hey, maybe you're right.
>Maybe I'm just too cynical
>- but it just didn't
>feel genuine to me.
>
>I guess time will tell.
>
>Cheers everybody.

I put her in the same catgory as the girl (blonde hair country girl with no boobs but came back this year with some...guess she *grew* up) last year who *acted* innocent....

Both are very childish...gets old watching the innocent act/s.

".. and we know Ryan knows a LOT about living in the background. eom"
Posted by FOXmePUHLEEZ on 03-21-07 at 02:32 PM

Posted by angelworth29 on 03-15-07 at 09:55 AM
I think you may have just quoted me verbatim from the other night. I told my husband she needed to quit acting like that because it was going to get old really fast. I also mentioned the fact that she brought the stylist, had all her outfits picked out, etc. She knows she's good. I'm totally over her.

And not to be really cruel or anything, but let's face facts...she's not exactly a 10 in the looks department, and that plays a big part in the music industry. My husband says she looks like Lily Tomlin. I had to agree.

Posted by priestdi on 03-15-07 at 10:13 AM

guess I just have to be happy that Lily managed to overcome such a huge handicap then.

it's nice when the public isn't superficial, isn't it?

Posted by LakerLuv on 03-15-07 at 11:23 AM
I thought at this stage of the competition everyone had access to stylists provided by the show? They all look more polished now, not just Melinda.

Posted by iloverob on 03-15-07 at 12:00 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you didn't more people who agree. I too am put off by it, but I much prefer her personality to Lakisha's. So I want her to win over Lakisha. I hope she tones it down a little.

Posted by Jenoc99 on 03-16-07 at 11:16 AM
Come on, you guys are haters- this girl is sweet and a great singer, it appears that she is a bit shy.

"Melinda Doolittle School of Humility"
Posted by CattyChat on 03-17-07 at 06:23 AM
If you get the "E" channel & don't watch "The Soup" every Fri night (or reruns thereafter) you are missing a hilarious gem of a show. Joel McHale is one wickedly funny man.

Last night there was a clip "advertisement" for the "Melinda Doolittle School of Humility" and it was hilarious. The clip isn't on You Tube yet, so I can't put a link.

Anyway, I am seriously starting to get a littly weary/wary of Melinda's "humility" and I think she's taking it too far now & it is becoming annoying & unbelievable. I do believe she is humble, but I think she is now overplaying it. A woman her age isn't THAT clueless about whether comments are praise or not, i.e. Ms. Ross stating Melinda gave her goosebumps & then Melinda giving that goofy look & saying "I'm assuming goosebumps is a good thing?" That was over the top for me & if she keeps it up, I am not going to be on the Doolittle bandwagon anymore.

When she teared up after her performance? That I believe was a true & real emotion. Melinda needs to tone it down. I get embarassed when people compliment me, but I just say a sincere thank you & wait for my face to quit blushing. Melinda hasn't gotten this far in life without having a clue how talented she is. Just be thankful, sweetie, and move on. It's getting to be ridiculous now.

One nation, under Romber...

"RE: Melinda Doolittle School of Humility"
Posted by Wasabi on 03-19-07 at 11:43 AM
If you go to E! The Soup web site you can watch it there.
Here is the link:
http://www.eonline.com/on/shows/thesoup

"Hilarious!"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 03-21-07 at 10:03 PM
Oh my heck Wasabi, that was too funny. Thanks for the link!

Posted by agman on 05-06-07 at 07:32 PM
ROTFLMAO

Simon Cowel

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 03-19-07 at 02:03 PM
I think it was Paula's blubbering that got Melinda Doolittle started. If I were MD, Paula'd probably have had me trying not to puke. It's Paula's overdone histrionics that irritate me.

Posted by jbug on 03-19-07 at 03:11 PM
I agree. She needs to hold her head up high (she does have a short neck) and LOOK like a performer - not an immature schoolgirl.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by neverbeentospain on 03-20-07 at 01:50 PM
A good singer has to be able to technically hit the notes and bring emotion into the song. When Melinda sings, she is able to bring emotion into her singing. (Ms. Ross provided some insight into "how" to do that when performing). Therefore, people connect to he when she performs.

After the song is over, Melinda does tend to do the Sally Field routine ("They like me, they really, really like me."). Is it genuine? I think it is to an extent, but she probably is overplaying it.

Learning to be genuine on a stage is difficult. Many performers are always acting on stage--Eddie Vedder and Jimmy Buffett being a couple of examples.

Posted by priestdi on 03-20-07 at 03:48 PM
constantine too.

Posted by agman on 03-20-07 at 05:48 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-20-07 AT 05:49 PM (EST)

I would love Melinda to do a great job. Hear all the compliments from the judges and say, "Yes I think I really did a good job. I'm proud of myself. I've worked very hard and thank you!" That would difuse this whole issue. It wouldn't be cocky or arrogant, but it would show she knows who she is.

Agman

"March 20th show"
Posted by aquariaqueen on 03-21-07 at 07:11 AM
She was a lot better today, not so overly dramatic.

"RE: March 20th show"
Posted by iloverob on 03-21-07 at 07:50 AM
Absolutely. She seemed more natural last night - humble, but not golly gee over-the-top. I liked her personality much more last night! Seemed like Simon kinda baited her with his questions and she didn't bite. Hope she sticks with it.

Posted by LisaPles on 03-21-07 at 10:00 AM
She seems real to me but I see what you are saying. She is very talented but she needs to own it! At her age and with her talent she should be exuding confidence.
I thought she was awesome last night!

Posted by neverbeentospain on 03-21-07 at 10:06 AM
She was much better. She still doesn't know quite what to do after the song is over--which, by the way, is simply to enjoy the applause and find a way to let the audience know that you are enjoying the applause.

Simon said she was a young "Gladys Knight"--I think she is closer to a young Dinah Shore. Dinah Shore was a great, talented singer, but also projected this wonderful, "I'm just a normal person" persona. So, she had a great recording career followed by a long television career as a host of a variety/talk show.

Another person she reminds me of is Merv Griffin (believe it or not). Griffin could sing (but not as well as Melinda), but he also had a wonderful on-air persona that was very comfortable

Posted by MollyTV on 03-22-07 at 09:29 PM
the soup did a great segment on melinda and her different looks.
as if you could buy a dvd on how to "do the melinda"...it was pretty funny.
so we aren't the only ones noticing this!
mollytv

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 03-23-07 at 03:53 PM
Wasabi actually posted a link to it earlier in the thread .

Posted by moodyblues on 03-28-07 at 02:12 AM
It is an act. She was coached. In the dedication episode there was a sheet that she showed on what she was coached to wear. It focused on shyness. Her wide eyed act is getting old. She needs to focus more on confidence now. Her talent should be good enough now without the act.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 04-09-07 at 03:47 PM
At least she's aware enough of her talent that she doesn't resort to the diversionary breast exposure and wriggling buttocks, ala Haley.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 04-11-07 at 01:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-07 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

And, last night, even Simon caught on to Haley's tactics. Her lack of clothing? Diversionary "compensation" for being the worst remaining female vocalist.

"RE: Melinda and her Wide Eyed Amazement. - pass the barf bag "
Posted by rotkapchen on 04-11-07 at 08:54 AM
She makes me want to hurl that piece of humble pie I just ate....

gag...gag... barf... hurl.....

Posted by FOXmePUHLEEZ on 04-12-07 at 03:25 PM
This week (Latin week) should have shown people she is real. Although she wants to win, she couldn't pull off the sexiness of the song. 'Cause she couldn't fake it. You can't be sultry if you're not at a certain level of confidence. And she's not. And even her phenomenal voice couldn't compensate this time. Hopefully, she will stay w/the somewhat "traditional" songs like she does, but try to avoid the sex. It ain't there. Love her, though.

"Thank You Simon!"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 04-18-07 at 04:51 PM
For finally telling her to knock it off already (country week)!

Posted by singmeasong on 05-05-07 at 11:59 PM
The problem is that no one is perfect (including the viewer). If you watch week after week something about each person will stand out. Sometimes what stands out as good turns to bad because many people simply cannot believe another person is that way (very good or very bad)...usually because they are not that way (at least consistently). If another person seems to extremely nice and humble like Melinda it seems great at first, but no matter how real it may be most folks find it hard to believe a person is ths humble, nice, shy, etc. It would be the same if she said TY Simon I worked real hard on that song/performance and thought I did great too. Many people would say she is cocky. Everyone has opinions and this message board allows us to share them.

I personally think she genuinely a shy person who gets embarassed easily. When I tell my daughter she did a great job at singing, playing piano, helping with kids, etc she says "ty" in a real quiet voice. Her face starts to blush and looks similar to Melinda's while she is being judged. Sometimes it is hard to believe someone really thought we did a great job.

Posted by agman on 05-06-07 at 05:40 PM
Whatever she is, barring a total breakdown, I think she is going to the this years AI winner!

I know everything,except for the things I don't know

Posted by Mary_Mary on 05-17-07 at 04:16 PM
I believe Melinda had herself convinced that she was going to be the next AI. I think that's where all of her 'wide eyed amazement,' or her 'act' came from. Perhaps her polite way of accepting the overly attentive judge's bombardment of gushing compliments?

You're right. Melinda knows she's good. Too bad the voting audience didn't chime in...lightning up those phone lines...to secure a spot for Melinda in the finale?! Did Simon C. jinx her?

CC, you don't have to be 'sick of this girl's, "Golly, Gosh, Gee" expressions. She's gone, bye-bye, yesterday's news, yesterday's papers. I heard she won't be attending next weeks finale.

I'm probably as surprised as Melinda was that she wasn't a shoe in for the finale show.

Posted by agman on 05-18-07 at 10:32 PM
Poor Melinda got jobed

I know everything, except the things I don't know