URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 723
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"appalling treatment of africans"

Posted by cqvenus on 12-08-04 at 08:56 AM

this episode made me sick. the way everyone walked around insulting everything and the way the editing made the entire place look like a wasteland dump. the way phrases like "african ghetto" and "this is more money than you make ALL YEAR!" were thrown around, i have a hard time digesting this episode.

it just all seemed too absurd to be true.

has anyone been there? can someone confirm or deny that dakar is really like this?

i wanted to slap jonathan across his big stupid face when he was screaming (big shocker) in the airport for someone who speaks english.

these people were acting like spoiled ignorant obnoxious americans. i must give exception to the old people, who were obviously being cordial. and their taxi got a flat tire! but they got out and *helped* instead of whining in the back seat.

i just had to rant. something has to be wrong with this picture, no?

~ cq

just like all of africa can't be that bad, all of americans are not ignorant losers

Table of contents
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,geg6, 09:01 AM, 12-08-04
    • RE: appalling treatment of africans,emydi, 10:29 AM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Draco Malfoy, 09:03 AM, 12-08-04
    • Hard task,Breezy, 09:33 AM, 12-08-04
      • RE: Hard task,banzai, 12:37 PM, 12-08-04
        • RE: Hard task,HistoryDetective, 01:00 PM, 12-08-04
          • RE: Hard task,mrc, 01:02 PM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,creativelyinsane, 09:11 AM, 12-08-04
    • RE: appalling treatment of africans,RangeRover, 09:32 AM, 12-08-04
  • Kendra,trigirl, 10:22 AM, 12-08-04
  • but on the other hand...,bacon, 10:28 AM, 12-08-04
    • RE: but on the other hand...,RangeRover, 10:56 AM, 12-08-04
      • RE: but on the other hand...,angelworth29, 11:27 AM, 12-08-04
    • come ON,cqvenus, 11:07 AM, 12-08-04
      • RE: come ON,bacon, 11:21 AM, 12-08-04
    • not necessarily,erina, 04:56 AM, 12-09-04
    • RE: but on the other hand...,samboohoo, 08:24 AM, 12-09-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Thiek, 11:04 AM, 12-08-04
    • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Cathy the Canadian, 05:10 PM, 12-08-04
  • New respect for Don/Mary Jean,bystander, 12:37 PM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,AMAZON, 02:10 PM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Oscirus, 02:49 PM, 12-08-04
    • RE: appalling treatment of africans,geg6, 04:03 PM, 12-08-04
      • RE: What about Kris & Jon?,thisiskit, 04:29 PM, 12-08-04
        • RE: What about Kris & Jon?,RangeRover, 05:05 PM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,J Slice, 04:50 PM, 12-08-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,TechNoir, 11:01 AM, 12-09-04
  • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Just Plain Bill, 01:42 PM, 12-09-04
    • RE: appalling treatment of africans,Starshine, 02:09 PM, 12-09-04

Messages in this discussion
"RE: appalling treatment of africans"
Posted by geg6 on 12-08-04 at 09:01 AM
Oh, I totally agree. The only ones showing any class were the old people. When are Americans going to understand that the whole world does not live by our standards and that many of them wouldn't even want to?

Posted by emydi on 12-08-04 at 10:29 AM
Actually Kris & Jon did also, if you can remember which team they are!!

Kris said she was humbled by the experience of being in a different culture, etc.

Oh, and Kendra has officially become Christi

Posted by Draco Malfoy on 12-08-04 at 09:03 AM
I don't envy Team Geritol having to beg for money in a country like that that is already downtrodden.

But you're right, every team pretty much had "ugly American" syndrome going last night.

"Hard task"
Posted by Breezy on 12-08-04 at 09:33 AM
I thought the same thing Draco. How will the Geritol Team be able to beg for money there. It seemed like a very poor district.

"RE: Hard task"
Posted by banzai on 12-08-04 at 12:37 PM
I heard it's a tourist district so they can beg the tourists.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 12-08-04 at 01:00 PM
I think an argument could be made that the producers showed poor taste in suggesting wealthy (compared to local standards) Americans go begging on an island formerly used as a stockade for housing human merchandise during the slave trade - whether there are lots of tourists there or not.

a sig by syren

Posted by mrc on 12-08-04 at 01:02 PM
Good point. It would have been even more awkward if Team Gus'n'Fuss was doing the begging.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by creativelyinsane on 12-08-04 at 09:11 AM
I think the only team that I'd qualify as *ugly Americans* were freddy and kendra. She was nasty and insulting in every clip.. complaining about the smell, the money, etc. She made each quote that you referenced.

Most of the other teams were definitely inconsiderate to some extent. Whether Dakar is truly smelly and poor is irrelevant, you just don't treat people poorly and act like idiots.

Posted by RangeRover on 12-08-04 at 09:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-08-04 AT 09:35 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-08-04 AT 09:33 AM (EST)

Team Long Distance daters were fairly tame. She also thought it was interesting. Hera was worried and rightfully so but she kept a level head and Gus we see next week how it affects him.

And I was not suprised about Team Geritol they are older and wiser so you expect that. But then again who knew Mary could swear like Lori.. Go girl! But having them beg there this is not right...

Really Team Sugar and Daddy were the most appalling. Kendra is a spoiled rotten brat and her disgusting comments were once again in the vein of our dear friend Colin. They too shorted cabdrivers and ranted about the state of the country/people/etc. And Daddy Freddy is an a22.

When Team Botox come out of an episode unscathed, adopting the son they always wanted then Senegal was okay in my book.

"Kendra"
Posted by trigirl on 12-08-04 at 10:22 AM
Was without a doubt the most obnoxious of the bunch. Where the heck do you live anyway Kendra? When, oh when can we have real reality tv, so that I may reach into the television and b!tch slap some contestants!

"but on the other hand..."
Posted by bacon on 12-08-04 at 10:28 AM
...How come the racers were being constantly harrased for extra money during the Taxi rides? I think both parties were doing a good job of being insulting to the other.

Single-handedly Reversed the Red Sox curse.

"RE: but on the other hand..."
Posted by RangeRover on 12-08-04 at 10:56 AM
I have only been to North Africa, Morocco, and ironically I did a Jonathan and "adopted" a son... oh no wait, I hired a local boy actually to be my guide/protector/etc. And I was advised to do this long before I got there.

You have to negotiate up front the costs.. barter if you will the fares/fees/etc. You clearly establish what the costs are and keep your money inaccessible. Only have visable what you are willing to spend. And this is pretty much a hard fast rule anywhere I think... and that is what distinguishes the most seasoned travelers vs the newbies. A comfort level with this negotiating/bartering plan.

The cabdrivers if they know you have money, see it and you have not been smart enough to negotiate in advance they will gouge you. And that is not just in Africa. We had it happen in Spain as well. Its the nature of the beast. Being a traveler it happens. (They do it here too its called taking the long route)

That is why you see such discrpancies between fares. This cab wars happens every season and I do believe in the heat of hysteria, the obvious flashing of money, the cameras etc.. makes everyone involved a little more intense.

Posted by angelworth29 on 12-08-04 at 11:27 AM
When I was younger, my mother, my sister and I went to Morocco and had a very bad experience. We also had the "college students" approach us and offer tours for $1. My mom told them all no thanks, but that wasn't the end of it. They began following us around everywhere we went, to the point of us almost being chased. It was really scary. We went into the market and approached a police officer to tell them what was happening. The "students" promptly disappeared. That was the first time I had ever heard my mom use the F word. Needless to say, I won't be going back any time soon.

"come ON"
Posted by cqvenus on 12-08-04 at 11:07 AM

bacon. for sure you've had this happen to you within our own borders.

i know i have.

~ cq

"RE: come ON"
Posted by bacon on 12-08-04 at 11:21 AM
Actually, no. But then again i've never taken a taxi cab anywhere.

Single-handedly Reversed the Red Sox curse.

"not necessarily"
Posted by erina on 12-09-04 at 04:56 AM
I was so pissed watching Freddy refusing to pay the cabbies!!

If the cab drivers had been asking for more than the actual deals, did you see other teams like that this time (at least not shown)? Freddy did this not once, but at least twice! He must just have that kind of attitude and short-changed them!

Blegh! Ugly couple!

Posted by samboohoo on 12-09-04 at 08:24 AM
I agree with you about the taxi fares. In our travels to Cancun, the Bahamas, San Juan and St. Lucia we were constantly warned by our travel agent to make sure we stuck to the "arranged" transportation because of cabbies taking advantage of tourists. However, this has also happened to us here at home.

Perhaps Don and Mary Jean should beg for money from the cabbies.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Thiek on 12-08-04 at 11:04 AM
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

I've been to Dakar several times and it is pretty much how they pictured it. Of course there are nicer areas but they're pretty secluded and well guarded. Dakar is very poor and it can be a little shocking if you've never been to a developing country before. I didn't think it smelled bad, though, except when in traffic because they don't have the same kind of emissions laws we do. The poster who said you have to negotiate the costs upfront is spot on. They'll stick it to you if you don't do that. Not that I really want to defend this bunch of racers - they were pretty pathetic.

I was surprised the racers weren't more mobbed at the airport with cabbies - I wonder if airport security was helping with crowd control?

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 12-08-04 at 05:10 PM
But most of the teams did negotiate up front, and the price changed at the end of the trip. That's why they were so pissed off. I would be too. They must feel so helpless and frustrated, because what do you do? Call the cops?

I think the teams think the show won't let things like this happen to them, and are surprised to find that they really are on their own. You just have to remember Colin, who almost let himself get arrested before accepting the fact that no one was going to help him out of this situation.

"New respect for Don/Mary Jean"
Posted by bystander on 12-08-04 at 12:37 PM
The only team that found something positive about Africa. I believe Don made the comment about even with all the poverty around them the place was filled with beautiful and festive colors (noting the garments worn by the people).

Posted by AMAZON on 12-08-04 at 02:10 PM
I'm gonna have to agree....it seems like the racers are consistently on their worst behavior anytime they are in any African country.

What was especially strange was when Freddy got all pissy after the cab driver put air in the tires....was Freddy and Kendra the same team that drove past Don and Mary while they were fixing THEIR flat tire?? Would Freddy have preffered they NOT put air in the tires and get a FLAT?

The racers also seem to think the continent of Africa is one big giant country. I think I heard Jon say "we're going to Dakar, Africa" and I think one of the twins did the same last year. Would you say Paris, Europe or Tokyo, Asia???

Posted by Oscirus on 12-08-04 at 02:49 PM
And the way the Africans were treating gus and Hera was somehow better because?

Posted by geg6 on 12-08-04 at 04:03 PM
Sorry, didn't notice that. In fact, Hera stated more than once that she was afraid.

"RE: What about Kris & Jon?"
Posted by thisiskit on 12-08-04 at 04:29 PM
I don't remember any bad behavior from these two- in fact I believe Kris called it "enlightening".ALthough it makes for boring TV viewing- there is nothing I don't like about these two. They seem smart(except for that tower thing) and work together well w/o yelling at the other. They also have easily completed the tasks. I'll take these two over the other leaders of the pack any day (hayd & aaron) Any way if someone could refresh my memory that they acted like ugly Americans in Senegal than please do.

"RE: What about Kris & Jon?"
Posted by RangeRover on 12-08-04 at 05:05 PM
I responded in my earlier post that they were fine with Africa. she even commented she found it interesting. She is one easy going girl and the cameraman thinks so as well. Did we get enough boobie shots?

But aside from them and Don and Mary there were no positive comments.. but suprisingly Team Botox said nothing outstandingly negative either. But the Senegalese have put him on notice over that faux fur leopard hat.

Gus and Hera were respectful as well but worried. But again no outstanding comments along the lines of the dimbulb model broad.

Posted by J Slice on 12-08-04 at 04:50 PM
Yet another reason why Don and MJ are my heads-above-the-others favorites. I don't care if they're slow, they show class and compassion, and I think this race means a good deal more to them.

Posted by TechNoir on 12-09-04 at 11:01 AM
Sittem was there this year, but I don't think he does bashers.

"Won't someone think of the children?" - King Kaufman

Posted by Just Plain Bill on 12-09-04 at 01:42 PM
<<these people were acting like spoiled ignorant obnoxious americans.>>

The behavior was pretty appalling overall, I agree. But speaking as one who works in the hospitality industry, Americans are not alone in boorish, rude, and arrogant behavior while traveling abroad.

Posted by Starshine on 12-09-04 at 02:09 PM
<as a Brit>

Hand up here