URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 688
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Music theme for 04/06/04"

Posted by arg2 on 04-04-04 at 09:48 PM
Hello Folks,

I hope this topic isn't already up and i missed it. If so, oops! Just got off the idolonfox.com site. Our idol prospects will be performing music from the one and only Elton John.

What the HEY are we in for?!?

I think this will be very amusing. What do you guys think?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Music theme for 04/06/04"
Posted by leogirl_21 on 04-05-04 at 07:09 AM
Very interesting!

"RE: Music theme for 04/06/04"
Posted by kelli_blue on 04-05-04 at 08:39 AM
I'm looking forward to it. Bring on the Elton songs!!

"No big band?!"
Posted by mrc on 04-05-04 at 08:58 AM
So, no big band tomorrow night?! Too bad for John Stevens. That was his only chance to shine.

"RE: No big band?!"
Posted by greenmonstah on 04-05-04 at 09:22 AM
John S. may rally and hit this theme out of the AI park. (Baseball season is here, sorry) If John picks a ballad and can muster some confidence, he will have a surprisngly solid performance. Camille, on the other hand, will be an absolute disaster...

and then will be voted on to the next round

Posted by Breezy on 04-05-04 at 09:39 AM
JohnyRed may be able to pull out an Elton John song, if his nerves hold up.

Morning Monstah!

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-05-04 at 10:01 AM
This should be an interesting week. I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnny Red pulls outta his hat. I just wish he would sing with a little more feeling.

I think this will be the week that the Booming divas take a back seat to the crooners. It will be very interesting to see what songs Jennifer, Latoya and Fantasia sing. I can't think of any Elton songs that would sound good in fantasia vocal style.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
*waves* hiya monstah and breezy

Posted by AugustGirl on 04-05-04 at 10:16 AM
I agree. It will be interesting to see how everyone adjusts. If JohnRed can overcome his nerves he might do well. I just hope he picks an upbeat song.

*waves* to Monstah, CSTL and my fellow AI rabblerouser Breezy!

Posted by Breezy on 04-05-04 at 10:35 AM
I have a feeling he won't pick an upbeat one though.

Hiya Hot Lips! Looks like you made some friends while I was away.

Posted by AugustGirl on 04-05-04 at 11:24 AM
He has one speed and upbeat it ain't.

I'm special like that. Just don't call me any names cuz I'm delicate and might cry. In fact, I'm getting a little misty eyed thinking about it. *sniff* *sniff* *snorfle* *WAH*

Posted by survivorscott on 04-05-04 at 06:18 PM
I'm thinking "Goodbye Norma jean"

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-06-04 at 08:32 AM
I still like this kid but somehow I think he would destroy that song. He just doesn't have the emotional connection with the music....it's almost as if he's singing monotone sometimes.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
but then again..could I do any better?

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 08:37 AM
He needs to mature more.

Maybe if you were nekkid. *waves* morning to CSTL

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-06-04 at 08:41 AM
I hope this is not another of those nights where I want to throw the TV at the TV.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
that's right..I rock in the shower!! *waves* hiya right back at ya

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 08:44 AM
No don't do that! You won't be able to watch 24 then. Gotta see who all dies tonight from the virus.

Is Elton John also going to be on the show as a guest judge? I can see him being honest and harsh like Simon.

You bring your webcam in the shower with you?!!?! What time does that happen?

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-06-04 at 08:49 AM
"Is Elton John also going to be on the show as a guest judge? I can see him being honest and harsh like Simon."

Hmmm....dont know about that one...but how bout him giving the guys some of those Paula comments about how beautiful they are or great their smile or a$$ is...lol

Handcrafted by RollDdice
see me on my webcam..just $9.99 a minute..hehe

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 08:54 AM
JPL could you please shake your money maker at me again? Thankyou.

*snort* we'll just call you the 60 second man.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-06-04 at 09:05 AM
or to Johnny Red..."love the suit...but you need more shiny buttons and you know some rhinestones wouldn't hurt either"

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"60 whole seconds...what would I do the other 58 though?"

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 09:08 AM
LOL yes I can see him saying that.

Why eat old people ice cream of course.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-06-04 at 09:23 AM
too bad Amy's gone...he might like that Jay Leno look

Handcrafted by RollDdice
that's no babe..it's a man baby..grrr..do I make you horny? or just hungry?

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 09:29 AM
Naw too manly.

yes, yes you do.

Posted by Mistral on 04-05-04 at 10:30 AM
I can't think of
>any Elton songs that would
>sound good in fantasia vocal
>style.

How about "The ##### is Back?" But I doubt they would let them sing a song with an "objectional" word in the title.

Seriously though, I'm not ragging on Fantasia. She still annoys me, but she is actually beginning to grow on me a little bit. Her performances are effortless and she makes it look easy.

Posted by Breezy on 04-05-04 at 10:37 AM
I think LaToya and Fantasia will do OK, not they're usual great with this week. Jennifer though... what the heck is she going to sing over the top? With her face all contorted?

Hiya CSTL!

Posted by greenmonstah on 04-05-04 at 10:42 AM
And who will be the one that dares to sport the classic, honkin'heart shaped, tinted glasses?

moonwalks for Breezy, CSTL and August Gril

Posted by Breezy on 04-05-04 at 10:46 AM
JPL ofcourse, I can see him doing something like that.

Posted by brvnkrz on 04-05-04 at 10:52 AM
I agree, JPL will do the glasses. Maybe he will sing Benny and the Jets. I bet Jon S sings Candle in the wind, oh no wait, I think that is one of the songs they aren't allowed to sing. I still think Jon will hit the bottom 3 this week. I think this is going to be a very interesting show. Can't wait.

"sigh"
Posted by sorgee on 04-05-04 at 01:30 PM
I*HEART*JPL

Posted by ginger on 04-05-04 at 01:56 PM

"Jamaica Jerkoff"?

Hey, it'a a real EJ song, for heck's sake!

Running away.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-05-04 at 03:49 PM
Dont know what Jennifer will sing but somehow I bet she'll still manage to work her face contortion exercises in there somewhere.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
*waves* back at Breezy, Augie et al dont make me get nekkid again *snort*

Posted by arg2 on 04-05-04 at 09:44 PM

Jennifer Holiday meets the Lion King.

She'll ruin "the circle of life."

"Ideal Elton songs?"
Posted by J Slice on 04-05-04 at 11:42 AM

I do think Johnny Red could do a kickass Rocket Man... provided he didn't Shatnerize it...

JPL - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting?

Who will sing Crocodile Rock?

The adventerously kinky Kittyloaf®: accept no substitutes.

"RE: Ideal Elton songs?"
Posted by Breezy on 04-05-04 at 11:59 AM
I can see either Fantasia or Camille attempting Crocodile Rock.

Posted by shedevil on 04-05-04 at 12:17 PM
I would love to hear JPL sing "Blue Eyes", "The One","I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" or "Someone Saved My Life Tonight".

Posted by emydi on 04-05-04 at 01:43 PM
Someone saved my life tonight or Rocket Man

emydi

Posted by ginger on 04-05-04 at 02:02 PM
Thinking a little more obscurely, I like "Harmony" and "I've Seen that Movie Too" from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. And Levon from whatever early EJ album that was. Diana will probably do a perky lil "Crocodile Rock." I don't want to hear ANYONE sing Your Song.

Kind of doubt we'll here "Honky Cat," but that could be fun if someone dared.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by emydi on 04-05-04 at 02:07 PM
Kind of doubt we'll here "Honky Cat," but that could be
fun if someone dared.

I think JPL or Fantasia would be the only ones to dare to do this song.

JPL could start dancing again

emydi

What about "Don't go breaking my heart?" a duo of Camille and John S?

Posted by ginger on 04-05-04 at 02:27 PM
And either would do well with the song, for different reasons.

How bout Someone Saved My Life Tonight?

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters?

I Feel Like a Bullet in the Gun of Robert Ford

Posted by Ylena on 04-05-04 at 05:08 PM
Brace yourself. I think this week is going to be even more horrible than country week. Simon's going to dole out the snarky "that's too old, this competition is about youth" - which is not going to be fair, since EJ's best stuff is 10-15 years older than some of the contestants.

Most Elton John songs are deceptively difficult to sing well. His strongest and most interesting songs have complex melodies and tough intervals, and most have a fairly wide range IF you sing them the way Elton did. Not only that, most people don't sound good covering Elton songs. I saw EJ and Billy Joel on their Face to Face tour, and BJ absolutely butchered Yellow Brick Road. (The major exception is George Michael singing Someone Saved My Life Tonight, which I adored.)

Not only are the songs tough -- a lot of Elton John song appeal is in the band and the arrangements. Dude had a GREAT band. The Unknown Band will not be able to come close to that. Unless... maybe they get Davey Johnstone and Ray Cooper to come slum with them. (There's a concert film out there of Elton and Ray Cooper on tour in Russia -- just EJ on piano and Cooper on all sorts of auxiliary percussion -- which is absolutely terrific.)

So... here's what I think the American Sacrifices should pick from the Elton John catalog:

Camille - Hrm. I think she'll suck at any of them (what's new), but I really like the intentional irony of her attempting I'm Still Standing. She'll probably do Can You Feel the Love Tonight, though. Ick. The only way she'd get votes from me this week would be to do Funeral for a Friend. And yes, I know that's an instrumental only.

Latoya - Border Song. She would do it justice. She'll be okay with anything except the Fatal Four (TM). (See below for the Fatal Four (TM).)

JPL - Needs to get back to what he does best - dancing. Definitely should do Your Sister Can't Twist. For the love of all that's holy, PLEASE don't mangle Tiny Dancer again! I bet he does Saturday Night's Alright, though, and that will be okay, too. Should wear a black leather jacket, a white undershirt, and a pair of jeans ripped at one knee. Yum. And his brother should be in the audience wearing the same thing. Double yum.

Johnny Red - Bad bad week for him. I think about the only song that he'd stand a chance at crooning would be Daniel. Roy Rogers would be an interesting choice, but he's too young to be convincing. I predict he'll go with Your Song, though, and it will be even worse than My Girl.

Diana - I'm so torn about RoboGirl. I really like her voice, if I don't look at her. Somebody needs to give her a pet and then kill it, so she can suffer a little. That would really help. "It's a sad song, honey, remember when Daddy ran over your poodle, Muffy? Try to feel like that." Since she doesn't have any emotional connection anyway, she should do one of the EJ songs that makes no damn sense. I'd like to see her try Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters...but she'll probably cutesy up again and do Crocodile Rock, since it's the potentially pageant pick.

Fantasia - She really surprised me during country week. Girlfriend gets it. So, with her church pipes, I'd LOVE to see her try Levon. Like Latoya, she'll be fine with anything except the Fatal Four (TM).

George - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Love Lies Bleeding. Might be good on Elderberry Wine. Should avoid Crocodile Rock, too obvious a choice.

Jasmine - Ms. Inconsistency. Heh, with the Hawai'i motif, she should do Island Girl, though they'd have to totally rewrite the lyrics. Hee. I've Seen that Movie Too would be a bold choice. She looks innocent enough to get away with Don't Go Breakin' My Heart, which really could work as a solo with a little tweaking. But. I predict the Island Princess will try to wail Circle of Life.

Jennifer - I'm having a tough time coming up with a good one for her. I'd really like to see her do Someone Saved My Life Tonight, if only to see the faces she'd make delivering the line, "It's four o clock in the morning, damnit, listen to me good". Wonder if they'd bleep the damnit. She'd be hot on ##### is Back, but no way will they let anybody sing it. Maybe Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word? Actually, out of all the Sacrifices, she might be okay with Your Song.

They should ALL avoid the Fatal Four: Candle in the Wind, Rocket Man, Bennie and the Jets, and Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me. CITW because it's so singularly Elton and so overoveroverplayed. Rocket Man, because no one will have the guts to use William Shatner's singular interpretation. BATJ, because the most interesting thing about that is the piano stuff, not the vocals. DLTSGDOM because Clay ruined it for everybody else in last year's wild card - nobody else could do it as well as he did.

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 07:54 AM
Great post! I agree with your fatal four, no one should try those songs.

It'll be interesting to see if you picked correctly.

Posted by arg2 on 04-05-04 at 10:06 PM
OMG, I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues would be perfect for JPL.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 04-05-04 at 03:52 PM
Maybe the croc will turn around and eat camille.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"she looks very tasty..tone deaf but tasty"

Posted by shedevil on 04-05-04 at 04:11 PM
We should be so lucky.

"Proposed Songs"
Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-05-04 at 04:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-05-04 AT 04:25 PM (EST)

JPL – Levon
Jennifer – I’m Still Standing
John S. – Your Song
George – Can You Feel The Love Tonight
Jasmine – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
LaToya – Bennie and the Jets
Camile – Philadelphia Freedom
Fantasia – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Diana – Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Edited to Add that these are just my own take on it.

"RE: Proposed Songs"
Posted by brvnkrz on 04-05-04 at 10:24 PM
I love Don't let the sun go down on me. I would rather see George do that song JV. I would rather none of them butcher that song though.

Posted by Ricky on 04-05-04 at 10:42 PM
I seem to remember Clay doing "Don't let the sun go down on me" last season (I could be wrong it's been awhile). I have a strange feeling that JPL will try that song this week. I hope not though, he'd really have trouble dancing to that one.

Posted by Breezy on 04-06-04 at 07:55 AM
That would be a bad choice for JPL. Yes Clay sang it last year and as stated above... he nailed it and these contestants shouldn't try it.

Posted by leannerenee on 04-06-04 at 11:20 AM
Clay did nail it last year! Do you know badly I was wishing for an Elton nite last year??? Clay would have destroyed the competition w/ "Your Song". I really only see JPL and John Stevens doing well tonite. The most of them will be average and of course Camille and Jennifer will suck!

Posted by frisky on 04-06-04 at 10:27 AM
I totally agree that JPL should do Levon. The third runner-up to Canadian Idol had a rock voice and style and he nailed it. Any ballad would be a mistake.

George should do Circle of Life. It sounds kind of gospelly.

Whatever John S. does, it will put us all to sleep.

Fantasia should do Croc Rock, but I can see Diana trying it, too.

I love the song "Blue Eyes" but I don't think anyone has the lower range for that...maybe JPL.

Card-carrying RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Division
Non-Embezzling GAWKUR Treasurer

Posted by ginger on 04-06-04 at 01:30 PM
Oddly, no one has suggested "All The Young Girls Love Alice" yet.

Puzzling.

Posted by Ylena on 04-06-04 at 01:44 PM
I bet they all avoid "Social Disease" like the plague, too!

Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-06-04 at 02:52 PM
Tender young Alice?

Posted by ginger on 04-06-04 at 01:29 PM
I kind of had George down for Philly Freedom. It has a potentially motownish groove.

Billy Jean King, Queen of Soul?