URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 686
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"See, We Jennifer Hudson Fans Knew It All Along"

Posted by ginger on 12-07-06 at 03:17 PM
She's getting RAVES in the movie version of "Dreamgirls" - and this amused me:

"After seeing Hudson perform on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Cowell was forced to admit his mistake, saying, 'I'd like to be the first to admit a massive dose of humble pie. That was extraordinary Jennifer and I feel very proud of you.'"

Jennifer's rendition of Circle of Life marked the last time I got any kind of chills listening to an AI contestant.

I can't stand AI anymore, but figured there's a few Jennifer fans still out there.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: See, We Jennifer Hudson Fans Knew It All Along"
Posted by nailbone on 12-07-06 at 03:28 PM
She was on Kidd Kraddick's radio show last week, and just off the cuff sang "Feel Like A Natural Woman", with no prep and no warm up. They started the music and she just started singing. She was magnificant!!

-New holiday sig, Thanks, tribe!

Posted by batts on 12-09-06 at 03:20 PM
I liked Jennifer.... but refresh my memory. Wasn't she on the same season as Latoya? Latoya was my favorite that season. Wait, that was the season Fantasia won....

*batts is getting his seasons mixed up*

Posted by Bebo on 12-10-06 at 11:23 AM
Ever since Entertainment Weekly picked her as an early Oscar favorite in their holiday movie preview, I've been psyched about this movie's opening. Her reviews have been incredible. Over on www.rottentomatoes.com, there are links to reviews that repeatedly mention how amazing she is. In a movie that's getting strong reviews, she's consistently being singled out as the strongest performance in the movie.

Posted by ginger on 12-15-06 at 11:12 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/15/DDGR7MV5CG1.DTL

Jennifer was, I believe, on during Fantasia's season. She was chunky. There, I said it. I think she got voted out (with the assistance of commentary from Simon) because she wasn't thin 'n' cute and she didn't have, like, Hawaii as a home base. She can sing RINGS around every Idol female except sometimes Kelly. I was really peeved when she got voted off. I actually voted for her and I rarely voted when I watched Idol (I just bitched a lot).

The irony is, the role she plays in Dreamgirls kind of addresses the image versus talent theme, so it's a perfect vehicle. I can't wait to see it now.

Posted by jbug on 01-23-07 at 10:35 AM
>Jennifer was, I believe, on during Fantasia's season. She was
>chunky. There, I said
>it. I think she
>got voted out (with the
>assistance of commentary from Simon)
>because she wasn't thin 'n'
>cute ............

Can't see how you think Jennifer got voted out BECAUSE she wasn't thin & cute,
yet Fantasia WON and she definitely IS NOT thin & cute, so ????????? IMO there were several who could sing circles around Fantasia. She screamed more than she sang (& probably still does).

Posted by seahorse on 12-23-06 at 03:11 PM
My thoughts is that Jennifer, La Toya and Fantasia were similar style singers and they split the vote for that style ampung trhemselves. It haad nothing to do with her weight.

Posted by Fishercat on 12-23-06 at 11:34 PM
Nothing to do with her weight? Let's look.

I'll take a cursory look using nothing more than my eyes and opinions of their singing, specifically of the finish of "chunky" (or overweight) FEMALE contestants and the quality of their voice/performances.

Note one: No season one, as I did not see it and cannot impose my own opinions on others on that season

Note two: I eliminated overweight males, since honestly, it doesn't seem to hurt guys that much. Of course, being a fat male is usually more "acceptable" to mainstream culture

Note three: I avoiding slightly "overweight" contestants. Ones who aren't stick thin, but not noticeably overweight, don't count

Season Two:
The only finalist that really applies is Kimberley Locke, and while I believe she was near the level of Clay and Ruben, I don't think her size hurt her any. I don't really think she's that big either, but simply getting on to American Idol as a female who isn't thin is tough.

Season Three:
Jennifer Hudson got completely robbed. I thought she was the best of the three "divas". Still, Latoya and Fantasia had notable talent, but I thought they were at least close to the naked ear and blind eye. So, why did Hudson go out sixth, LaToya fourth, and Fantasia didn't? More importantly, why did John Stevens outlast here, and Jasmine Trias. I doubt we'll ever know for sure. With Stevens and Trias, their markets were huge: teenage girls and Hawaii (who had no clogged phones from other markets in the second case). With George Huff, he was the only guy left that could sing many genres. Diana Degarmo? Dunno there, but it was always her or Hudson in the Bottom Three...

Still, based on talent, you can't really put Hudson lower than third. But when the markets come in, with Hudson fighting for three spots, maybe the physical attributes came in to play, maybe they didn't. I can't say for sure.

Season Four:
Can't find a good example here

Season Five:
Mandisa. Really the example and IMO, the best argument for the negative impact of weight. Many people believed she was the best female singer in the competition when the Final 12 was chosen (I thought she was the second best behind Ms. McPhee). She hadn't been in the Bottom Three until the week she was booted after she did poorly on country night (IMO, I didn't like her performance). In fact, only two other Top Twelve contestants didn't receive a B3 or B2 appearance before getting voted off: Melissa McGhee (12th place, no chance there), and Kellie Pickler (that was a bit confusing, although she had been horrid many, many weeks. Wonder why it caught up).

From what I can see here, there are only two really good pre-emptive boot examples among overweight females in Jennifer Hudson and Mandisa, both I think went several spots too early. One had no warning, but Hudson had been in the B3 twice before.

I'm trying to find a trend here. But we only have two good examples for people who got eliminated early and who were more than nominally overweight, and only one example of an overweight female who got to where she belonged in the rankings.

So you make an interesting point that I never looked into: maybe weight isn't as much as problem to voters as I thought. I still think Mandisa and Jennifer Hudson were negatively affected by their weight, but I always thought it was much worse. It seems like overweight males have little to no problem.

Of course, overweight people getting on the show seems to be the bigger challenge.

Posted by ginger on 01-09-07 at 05:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-09-07 AT 05:53 PM (EST)

Simon was constantly whining about her clothes, her hair, her style...he consistently champions non-talents like Carmen because he finds the "package" easier to sell with what he thinks is a commercial "look." He never actually said Jennifer was chunky and therefore not star material, but I felt it was a tacit leitmotif to his inane commentary that season.

Posted by Fishercat on 01-09-07 at 06:55 PM
Now, if we're talking about Simon and not the fans? Oh yeah, Simon definitely has crazy biases.

Posted by LisaPles on 01-10-07 at 09:53 AM
Maybe after hearing Jennifer sing everybody will finally realize that Beyonce doesn't have a great voice. Let's make room for some female singers with REAL talent!

Posted by bob_chester on 01-12-07 at 05:56 PM
She did well in this movie. I don't see her being really big. Maybe I should rephrase that. I have seen her really big. lol

She is liked by the media and music industry so i am sure she will continued to be shoved down our throats even though she in not very popular with the masses. I got chilled everytimes she sings but it is not becasue she is all that good.

Posted by mickeyvon on 01-16-07 at 01:49 PM
Didn't Jennifer look beautiful at the Golden Globes? You couldn't help but to feel real happy for her.

Posted by aquariaqueen on 01-17-07 at 10:28 AM
Not winning the American Idol was a blessing in disguise.....great going, Jennifer, I knew you were good all along!!!

Fantasia can be the America's Idol, but I rather watch and listen to Jennifer, anytime.

Posted by LisaPles on 01-17-07 at 03:37 PM
>Didn't Jennifer look beautiful at the
>Golden Globes? You couldn't
>help but to feel real
>happy for her.

Yes, I thought she looked gorgeous! I was so happy for her, too.

Posted by bob_chester on 01-22-07 at 07:31 PM
Good for jennifer. I hope she does well. Maybe acting is her talent.

Posted by prosecutor on 01-23-07 at 01:41 PM
Great to see Jennifer Hudson has gotten the Oscar nomination.
I hear an Oscar nomination gives the person bragging rights(LOL)
Way to go JHud Hope she wins

Posted by bob_chester on 02-08-07 at 02:16 PM
Yes maybe she will turn to acting as that way we will not have to hear sing anymore.

Posted by singer on 02-08-07 at 03:40 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-08-07 AT 03:41 PM (EST)

She sings beautifully. She is also soulful and moving. She is tops in her specific genre of music. There are other genres that she may not sing as well.

But she definitely has a talent, or should I say a gift? Also, she appears to have a lovely personality, which will take her far in the music business or in acting. Kudos to her.

--Singer

Posted by bob_chester on 02-08-07 at 04:05 PM
If you enjoy her singing that is fine but a lot of like me don't care for her. People saying she is a good singer does not change that fact.

Posted by singer on 02-12-07 at 02:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-07 AT 02:14 PM (EST)

My main point is that technically, she is an excellent singer for her genre of music, likes or dislikes notwithstanding.

The same can be said of many opera singers who may not enjoy widespread, popular appeal in this country, but who are good at what they do, nonetheless.

--Singer

Posted by bob_chester on 02-13-07 at 07:18 PM
OMG that is so funny. It is the style?
I happen to like opera myself and this is pretty insulting.

Can't you just face the fact that a lot of people do not like her voice? Some do but a lot don’t including me. She in is not an excellent singer she is average at best. She should stick to acting.

In the year Jennifer was in AI, Latoya London was by far the most "Technical" and I don’t hear people complaining that she is in nowhere ville too. Oh do you all forget about her? Oh that is right Laytoya was a singer not kiss up and schmoozer like Jennifer. and Laytoya is a good looser too.

Jennifer must be good in bed or something to get the publicity she gets for be at the best mediocre singer. I can understand your love for an underdog but this is ridiculous.

I am tired of hearing about poor Jennifer three years later after America Rejected her. Oscars are for acting (for kissing up actually) by the way not singing.

Posted by singer on 02-14-07 at 01:22 PM
Whatever.

There's nothing ridiculous about making statements about JHud's singing technique. It is ridiculous to post unproven claims about whom she may or may not sleep with. Red herrings have nothing to do with the basic fact of her musical talent, with or without its limitations.

I'm glad you like opera. I sing opera professionally, and I am not insulted by valid comments about singing techniques within genres of music or across genres for that matter. Not in the least.

--Singer

Posted by LisaPles on 02-19-07 at 12:24 PM
>Jennifer must be good in bed
>or something to get the
>publicity she gets for be
>at the best mediocre singer.

I wonder what somebody like Beyonce had to do considering her talent is even more "mediocre" than Jennifer's ever could be. Oh yeah, that's right, she is sleeping with JayZ.
At least record execs didn't see Jennifer as attractive enough to be their new "it" girl and contrive her stardom and force her down the public's throats. I like the fact that people enjoyed her performance and that her newfound popularity seems to come from the opinion of the audience & listeners.

Posted by bob_chester on 02-20-07 at 12:30 PM
You guys crack me up. lol

Jennifer Hudson fans are more entertaining then the show itself sometimes.

I love you guys!