URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 683
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Party logic."

Posted by Estee on 08-31-10 at 09:54 AM
1. Dancing promotes female sexuality. Therefore, it is not Christian.

2. Ballroom dancing includes many dances of Latin origin and several from other cultures, plus most of the professionals come from outside the country and may not have entered legally no matter what their probably-forged paperwork says. Therefore, it is not American.

3. The training required to become a dancer is most easily purchased by the wealthy. Therefore, it is the activity of intellectual elitists.

4. At least one judge has a questionable sexuality: at least one dancer is self-identified as gay. Therefore, dancing is the realm of freaks who are corrupting the morals of our country.

5. Bristol Palin, the daughter of the deity's chosen representative on Earth, is participating in all of the above. Therefore, she must be praised and given all possible support as she marches into the battleground to destroy the proven non-Christian, non-American, non-normal freaks who will surely ruin the nation if not stopped here and now.

6. Should the liberal conspiracy remove her from the show (which they will do, because the liberals control Hollywood) followed by your continuing to watch anyway, you will be labeled as non-Christian, non-American, non-normal, and a freak. And then you will be dealt with accordingly.

But really, it's your own fault.

7. Fnord.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Party logic."
Posted by Belle Book on 08-31-10 at 12:42 PM
As a Christian who loves to watch Dancing with the Stars and doesn't see it as non-Christian, un-American or abnormal, I'm not voting for Bristol -- ever. So I hope the liberal conspiracy removes her from the show asap!

Actually, I don't think it's a liberal conspiracy any more than you probably do, but I do hope she leaves asap! Too bad we can't vote on who we want to go home -- that's the only way I'd ever vote for Bristol!

Posted by jbug on 08-31-10 at 12:56 PM
Why Belle?
So you vote on who you like; popularity and all?
What if she turns out to be the best dancer? You don't vote on who's the best?

no comments on the anti stuff.

Posted by Estee on 08-31-10 at 01:09 PM
I can't (and won't) speak for Belle, but I'm at the point where I can't separate Bristol from her mother. The Palin children are their matriarch's mobile publicity arm: nothing more, and sometimes much less. They get praised, it lets her make a speech. They get criticized, it lets her make twenty speeches. They exist solely to bring her press, and who cares what kind of coverage it is as long as she's getting it?

Bristol may be a good dancer. She may even be a decent person. But she comes with baggage attached, and that baggage will be treating her offspring's entire DWTS experience as a bully pulpit -- emphasis on bully. #$%%, after what's happened to a few other people, I expect at least one recapper to be sued just for objectively commenting on Bristol's performance. Probably EW -- always go for the biggest available name in the field.

So yes, in this case, I'm punishing the child for the sins of the parent. (Looks like I'm finally getting on board with that old-time religion, huh?) Or I would be if I was in this at all. But between the Alaskan Confederacy, Spray Steroid Inc, and You Can't Handle The Hoffness, I'm taking the season off. I'll watch for partner assignments, I may start the handicapper thread -- but just because someone hands you a poison pill is no reason to swallow it.

And personally, I was hoping Bristol would be paired with Louis just to watch her mother self-destruct. But it looks like she's got Mark.

Poor Mark.

Posted by LFJ on 08-31-10 at 01:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-31-10 AT 01:24 PM (EST)

Whatever you may think of an individual/personality/character, public or not, their children/family members should not be cannon fodder.

The media is fond of this form of demoralizing political figures, in particular. Therefore, it would be my hope for the offspring of "He who would (what was it? - irony of all ironies? - or Karma) heal the earth and the seas" (talk about your Deities), never, ever step into a public forum.

Posted by Estee on 08-31-10 at 01:36 PM
*nods* I'm not going after Bristol. I'm mostly going after the people who will mindlessly support her no matter how well or badly she performs while simultaneously condemning the show she's on. (You should see what I did with Kate's supporters.) If not watching the season is considered a form of attack, so be it. Imagine how much damage I could inflict if I actually showed up.

As for your stab in question -- I was wondering about something similar a few seconds ago. Imagine that Bristol's out of this season's cast and Michelle Obama was in. I'm guessing we'd have some very angry commentary traveling across the air and ether right now, some of which would have to include theories renaming the network to AllahBeComing. Those praising Bristol for her showing up would likely not have the same reaction for the First Lady.

Good luck arguing that.

For what it's worth, I don't see Sarah Palin as a political figure. I see her as a cult leader who's revived the old church tradition of buying indulgences.

Posted by LFJ on 08-31-10 at 02:00 PM
I am happy we agree about the poor judgment people use when they so cruelly make children the subjects of ridicule, for no other earthly reason than what their parent does/espouses.

Posted by Estee on 08-31-10 at 02:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-31-10 AT 04:02 PM (EST)

But as soon as the offspring does something idiotic on their own, they're fair game -- and sometimes, that can include repeating the philosophy their parent has been espousing. (For details, see Westboro. From a distance, thankee.) Also, Bristol's nineteen: at this point, any stupid she comes up with may fairly -- or at least legally -- be her own.

However, I really don't have that much in the way of objections to her. All she's really pulled off is the insane publicity grabs with her on-again off-again engagements and her little flip-flop on 'Abstinence isn't realistic' to 'Abstinence is the only way.' Compared to her parents, that's minor. She mostly comes across to me as someone with a talent for making the wrong decision, followed by a fast retreat to a PR team who can pretend it never happened on her behalf. That's not exactly an uncommon trait on any level of celebrity. It doesn't speak well for her -- but she still has a chance to grow out of it. I hope.

And besides, I think she'd be proud of the approach I'm taking to this season. I've been confronted with a situation that's normally pleasurable, but which also has potential negative consequences. And how am I responding to it? By practicing abstinence!

Irony, irony...

Posted by LFJ on 08-31-10 at 03:40 PM
Your logic, compassion, and most of all - self control - are admirable

Posted by Estee on 08-31-10 at 04:12 PM
My secret goal is to be one of the last people sent into the camps.

Right now, my self-control is getting a workout: I'm trying to run down as many confirmed pairings as I can for the handicapper thread, and all the Internet can give me is three. It looks like I get to do the same thing as last year -- start now, update later.

Sure, but how's my sarcasm?

Posted by LFJ on 08-31-10 at 04:15 PM
Alive and well - identifiable.

Posted by Belle Book on 08-31-10 at 05:00 PM
I think Estee called it earlier -- I'm less against Bristol in and of herself than I am against her mother, Sarah Palin. I might change my mind about never voting for Bristol if she turns out to be the best dancer -- but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Posted by LFJ on 08-31-10 at 05:09 PM
" The way that leads to beauty makes people beautiful." - Buddha

Posted by Belle Book on 08-31-10 at 05:12 PM
Good point. I'll try to keep an open mind about Bristol.