URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 666
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Episode 5.14 The Variable"

Posted by DoodleBug on 04-18-09 at 06:15 PM
Air date is April 29th...

On the 100th episode milestone for the series, the time of reckoning has begun when Daniel Faraday comes clean regarding what he knows about the island.

Written by Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz
Directed by Paul Edwards

Guest List
Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert
Sonya Walger as Penelope “Penny” Widmore
Alan Dale as Charles Widmore
Francois Chau as Dr. Pierre Chang
Fionnula Flanagan as Eloise Hawking
Patrick Fischler as Phil
Eric Lange as Radzinsky
Sarah Farooqui as Theresa
Alice Evans as younger Eloise Hawking
Wendy Pearson as E.R. doctor
Todd Coolidge as paramedic
Peggy Anne Siegmund as caretaker
Jennifer Sojot as E.R. nurse
Spencer Allyn as young Daniel Faraday
Michael Dempsey as foreman
Maya Henssens as young girl
Ariston Green as workman
Marvin DeFreitas as young Charlie
Brad Berryhill as anxious guy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Episode 5.14 The Variable"
Posted by trigirl on 04-19-09 at 04:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-19-09 AT 04:33 PM (EST)

Alice Evans as younger Eloise Hawking

Thought we might get a clue as to whether "Ellie" is "Eloise". However the actress that played Ellie in "Jughead" is credited as Alexandra Krosney. Not that this comletely rules it out...we have seen three different Charles Widmores.

BTW...Charles Widmore#2 is hot, hot, hot. I would like some more screen time with him please!

ETA:
While looking at IMDB for credits, I noticed these characters too.
Hidden Text. Young Juliet and Young Rachel.
It does seem that everyone has a connection, doesn't it?

Posted by DoodleBug on 04-20-09 at 03:03 PM
This Ellie could be older than the Ellie we saw in Jughead. That's what I am guessing. And I am 99.99999% sure that the Ellie we met in Jughead was Eloise Hawking.

Agree on Chuck 2 - very hot!

Posted by Meemo on 04-21-09 at 09:38 AM
Marvin DeFreitas as young Charlie

Ummm..... this should be interesting.

Half man, half amazing, all DAW

Posted by BrassFan on 04-28-09 at 10:01 AM
>Marvin DeFreitas as young Charlie
>
>Ummm..... this should be interesting.

I assume that refers to Des and Penny's son, Charlie.

Posted by PackMan on 04-22-09 at 09:43 AM
Might be a good idea to re-watch Season 4's The Constant. At the end of that episode, Daniel was looking at his journal which read, "If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant."

In any equation, you have variables and constants to help you find where lines intersect, so hopefully this episode will define a few more connections.

I keep asking the questions Who, What, When, Where, and Why. I know the Who (for the most part), but I don't know What is really going on, When events are really occurring, Where the characters really are, and Why is all this going on.

This season is really getting good... but it also makes my brain hurt a bit! I'll be a bit sad when the series finally wraps up, but I also want these headaches to stop! I just hope, when it finally wraps up, that we don't get Soprano'd.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it again? - Anonymous

Posted by HobbsofMI on 04-24-09 at 05:22 AM
Getting BSG is worst... they killed a whole season trying to tie up loose ends. I'm just glad we did not get a whole season like Heroes... We can only pray we don't get either of these.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

Posted by DoodleBug on 04-28-09 at 10:42 AM
I think the difference here is that the writers are writing with a plan. They knew last season (?) that there was only going to be X number of episodes left. Therefore, they are writing with purpose instead of trying to tie up loose ends frantically. If only we didn't have the writers strike....

Posted by sica077 on 04-29-09 at 10:46 PM
*sniff*

I found this episode to be so sad! I even shed a little tear for Daniel (whom we've only known for how many episodes?). His mom seems awfully evil right now.

Posted by michel on 04-29-09 at 11:21 PM
If the series ends by showing Oceanic 815 simply landing in LA to show that none of this ever happened it's going to be one of the worst waste of time ever.

Posted by shimane22 on 04-30-09 at 00:13 AM
I think Daniel's "variable" theory is wrong-- I think Jack will somehow use the Jughead bomb on the pocket of energy and rather than change everything it will be this action which triggers the sequence of events leading to the crash of Flight 815.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-30-09 at 12:34 PM
I'll admit I thought the same thing too last night. But then I thought of John Locke - there's no way the show would end with him still being a sad sack paraplegic. (And Kate would still get arrested, Hurley would still have horrible luck, Penny and Desmond would still be separated, Charlie would still be a washed-up heroin addict...) It doesn't make sense. They've changed the "variables," so something does change in the future but I don't think they correct it totally. Like Kate said, it would erase everything that had ever happened. They've invested too much into the story for a cop out like that.

Posted by sisyphus on 04-30-09 at 01:36 PM
You know as Daniel stated, in every equation there are constants and variables....in my mind the constant is time...yes it changes but in a way it is constant...60sec = 1min 60 min =1 hr 24 hr =1day etc.....but the variable are the choices that people make ( or rather people)....time marches on regardless, what happens in the future is determined by the what you do today....so with the losties already knowing what happens in the future....can they now change it but influencing what happens in the present....will they be able to convince the people leave the island? How will the jughead explosion affect the future? no one know what the future outcome will be they can only make different choices...

another thing the losties have already influenced the by just being there in 1977.....a change in variable

Does anyone know if Eloise hawkins is banned from the island?

just my ramblings I am as confused as ever

"But!"
Posted by dabo on 04-30-09 at 01:02 PM
If you are in the past and you change what happened in your present/past do you change your past/future or is there simply a new present/future with a different you living that one while the you-you is stuck in the past/present and can only return to your unchanged future/present?

"RE: But!"
Posted by DoodleBug on 04-30-09 at 01:34 PM

Posted by pinksparkleguitar on 04-30-09 at 09:11 AM
So I liked last night's episode, mostly because I really like Daniel Farraday.

I just felt so sorry for him, having a mother that was so cruel. I'm sure at some point we will find out her big 'reason' for pushing Daniel so hard and sending him to the island to die. Right now it just seems pointless to work so hard to get him there, only to have him die.

My husband and I totally called that Eloise was going to shoot him - as soon as he went down to the Other's camp with a gun.

Sig by Tribe- the real 'Jacob' of the island.

Posted by mrc on 04-30-09 at 09:24 AM
Solid episode with lots of answers to past questions.

1. Theresa, Daniel's gal, was the woman who was comatose in the bed.

2. Widmore and Hawking are Dan's parents.

3. We now know why Dan was crying in that episode.

4. We know how why the button was being pushed.

5. Ellie=Eloise Hawking

6. Jughead will come into play.

You've been hotpocketed!

Posted by zombiebaby on 04-30-09 at 09:56 AM
I still am confused as to why Daniel was crying with the Oceanic footage? Why? It was his present and he did not go back yet.

Why would they want to prevent the crash? Their lives would be no better off right?

Why was Hawking wrong to send them back? Did it not happen before or was this the way it always was?

Is Daniel really dead? Isn't that him in the Comic Con video below?

I'm the most confused ever after this episode.
I was actually kind of meh on this episode. I think I believed the hype.

You've been hotpocketed!

Posted by mrc on 04-30-09 at 10:55 AM
Dan may not be dead. Or he may have changed the future, so he is no longer in the video.

Bunnies eat nerds.

Posted by sica077 on 04-30-09 at 11:46 AM
There were a few other people that acted the same way Daniel did when the news was covering oceanic being found (crying but not knowing why). Does anyone remember the other people (I want to say that one of them was the helicopter pilot)? I figured they all just felt a sad connection to the crash (and didn't know why because it hasn't happened yet).

ouch! *brain hurts*

Posted by Breezy on 04-30-09 at 12:03 PM
The helicopter pilot knew something was wrong about the crash coverage because he had seen the manifest, or knew the pilot or something.... It had something to do with the pilot I know.

Posted by sharnina on 04-30-09 at 12:11 PM
Gah! I can't believe I remember this because I can barely keep up with you all in the all the conspiracy stuff. But... the helicopter pilot was supposed to have been the pilot for that flight but his friend (Matt Parkman ) took the flight instead. I can't remember why.

Love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything.
1 Peter 4:8 (The Message)

Shar's World

Posted by Breezy on 04-30-09 at 12:20 PM
Right but there was some reason he knew the crash footage was fake. I just can't remember what.

Posted by sica077 on 04-30-09 at 01:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-09 AT 01:27 PM (EST)

I know! Every time I try to think back and figure something out, three more questions pop up in my brain!

...just like a Lost episode... hmmm.

Posted by DoodleBug on 04-30-09 at 01:38 PM
Lapidus saw the pilot on TV and knew it wasn't "Matt Parkman" (the pilot) because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring - and he married his high school sweetheart and never took off that ring. He called the hotline and said "that isn't Oceanic 815" because I was supposed to be the pilot.

Posted by Breezy on 04-30-09 at 10:08 AM
Agree, we got a lot of answers in this episode.

I didn't catch that Daniel's gal was the girl in a coma!

My Personal 3Day Page

Posted by warp_core breach on 04-30-09 at 10:09 AM
I liked this episode. It answered a lot of Daniel questions.

1. So our Dan is dead... however, Dan isn't really dead because there still is little Dan running around out there.

2. I wonder if Dan set it up for him to get killed. Why would he go into the hostiles' camp with a gun, shoot it off, turn his back on the other hostiles, point the gun at Richard and threaten him? Surely, he knew that this would lead to trouble for him. Why did he go into the camp alone?

3. Is this the incident that causes Ellie to become cold Eloise and push her son to fulfill his destiny because she knows what will happen?

4. Parents of the Year award go to Eloise and Charles!! Poor Dan didn't have a chance at a normal life.

5. So Dan experimented on himself and it left him with some sort of memory loss. He experimented on Theresa and she's in a coma. Why was she more affected?

6. Juliet, now is not the time to be jealous and insecure!!

7. Sawyer does seem committed to Juliet.

8. Eloise apologized to Penny... does she still think that the island isn't finished with Desmond.

9. I love Penny & Desmond!

10. The whole variable and constant thing is really starting to confuse me.

A Gift from Agman

Posted by weltek on 04-30-09 at 09:38 PM
I see nothing good coming of Des & Penny's son (Charlie?) being left with that nurse at the hospital. The whole "He can stay with this nurse" seemed rather purposeful.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by dajaki on 04-30-09 at 11:36 PM
Agree, and I can't believe that Penny would turn her back on any room containing Charlie and creepy Eloise without there being a point to it.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-30-09 at 12:41 PM
I thought it was another solid episode, but it didn't live up to the hype.

I wasn't surprised that Widmore turned out to be Daniel's father, but I was surprised that Ellie ended up shooting him. (Even though he practically told us that he would get killed by going there.) But is he dead? He is the child of two "Others." Will the island save him like it saved Ben? Two fatal shootings within days of each other and both the victims end up in the Others camp. What a coincidence.

I was disappointed that Eloise turned out to be such a Mommy Dearest. I had thought she would have a more positive affect on the outcome.

Posted by DoodleBug on 04-30-09 at 01:45 PM
I feel the same way you do about this episode. Not surprised that Charles is the daddy.

On Eloise - I agree! Totally surprised that she shot him. But I knew something was up when she was talking to Dan at the piano - the looks on her face were just not right. And she told Charles "don't talk to me about sacrifice". They are pushing an agenda to make sure everything happens just so. That's why she's been steering Desmond along and the Oceanic 6. pushing "destiny". I wonder if she'll be after Dan's journal and all the secrets inside? Looks like Jack has that now.

And I believe Daniel is dead.

What lies in the shadow of the statue? I'm almost convinced it's jughead, but not quite sure.

"Wah"
Posted by moonbaby on 05-01-09 at 10:00 AM
I really liked the geeky Faraday and I know he has plenty of fans here so I thought I'd share this picture I found on the web somewhere to lighten your hearts:

Posted by Chez on 05-01-09 at 11:46 AM
Daniel claimed people are the variables due to free will. But it does not seem that free will is able to change anything because "What Happened Happened", so is it really a variable?

In my mind, the only true variable is Desmond, because "the rules don't apply to him". The outcome of the series is going to be driven by Desomond's actions one way or another. Hopefully, we will love it.

"I hope so"
Posted by moonbaby on 05-02-09 at 09:27 AM
No couple on this show pull at my heartstrings like Des and Penny. (Sun and Jin rank second). If it turns out in some way being about them or because of them I'd be ok with that.