URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID48
Thread Number: 652
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter died after the show's filming"

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-08-08 at 10:37 PM
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/paradise-hotel-2-contestant-nathan-clutter-dies-after-show-filming-6352.php

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Police: 'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter's death a suicide"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-17-08 at 11:44 PM
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/police-paradise-hotel-2-contestant-nathan-clutter-death-suicide-6409.php

"RE: Police: 'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter's death a suicide"
Posted by byoffer on 01-21-08 at 09:07 AM
Wow. That makes 2 suicides of reality show contestants in the last year (the other was Cheryl Kosewicz on Pirate Master).

I realize with the increased number of reality shows the odds of this sort of thing happening go up, but this still seems high (and not just deaths, but suicides). Maybe a DAW characteristic? (Even DAW in death?)

Very sad for both of them. I hope the reality show producers are making efforts to give counselling to the contestants.

"RE: Police: 'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter's death a suicide"
Posted by Snidget on 01-21-08 at 09:35 AM
It is kind of scary we had two in the last year.

I know they usually have some sort of counseling during the shows, but I don't know how long the aftercare lasts.

With the number of contestants and the frequency of suicide I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Unfortunately I think some of the characteristics that make people "good TV" can also be things that could lead them down this path.

If I were producing one of these shows I would look at the pre-show screening to see if there was anything you need to add to try to find the ones that have more potential for this than usual. Including if there is anyone to catch the ones that know how to fake their way through those sorts of things. Kind of like the sometimes catch a drunk driver because they are driving too carefully and correctly.

"RE: 'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter died after the show's filming"
Posted by Dakota on 02-12-08 at 01:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-08 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

So sad. I liked this guy. Survivor has counselors there for people after their torches are snuffed, but I don't know about any of the other shows. If someone had mental health problems before the show, I doubt the little bit of counseling from the show is going to solve those problems.

surfkitten siggie shop 2007

"RE: 'Paradise Hotel 2' contestant Nathan Clutter died after the show's filming"
Posted by Estee on 02-26-08 at 08:49 AM
The show displayed a quick 'In Memory Of' title card at the end of last night's episode.

However, they completely forgot to mention that the 'In Memory Of' was because he'd died, and since this was his ouster night for the show, it may have just left people thinking the producers really, really missed him.

I didn't see everything before the opening credits: no idea if they mentioned it then.

Posted by Loree on 02-26-08 at 10:40 AM
Looking back the show is probably thankful that he left early in the show's run. All I saw was the "In Memory of..." at the end of the show. And it seemed odd the way the others were all talking about him and toasting after he left. I had the feeling this was edited together to make him seem missed. If anything negative was said about Nate it was not going to be shown. At the main Paradise Hotel site they do mention his passing briefly in his bio.

Posted by Dakota on 02-27-08 at 00:18 AM
I found it creepy and sad as he left, knowing what he did afterwards.

surfkitten sigshop 2007

Posted by magan on 03-02-08 at 08:46 PM
I am also sad to hear about his death, as i was watching last monday I was saying to my husband i hope he's here at the end and i hope he wins. He didnt seem like the type to do something like this, and in a way i dont think he did, i feel it was an accident. most suicide people write a note and it was said he didnt have one.

Posted by Dakota on 03-04-08 at 02:25 PM
If it was an accident, the obvious question is why would he climb the fence and then the tower? At the same time, he made sure his dog had provisions and wasn't left at home alone not knowing when someone would discover the dog and take care of him. I sure wish he had hugged the dog and driven back to his family in Illinois. The article said they wanted to get him into a V.A. hospital. I'm thinking the kid had been in Iraq as he's too young for anything else.

surfkitten sigshop 2007