URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 643
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Elliot Yamin is a Prince "

Posted by singer on 05-18-06 at 06:36 AM
He lost, but his comments about his musical journey were moving, and his singing was great last night. What a voice!

I wish that they had chosen all three as winners and ended the competition.

--Singer

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Elliot Yamin is a Prince "
Posted by singer on 05-18-06 at 08:44 AM
I teared up when he was pitching the baseball in the stadium and when they showed his mother in the parade weeping with joy over the positive reception Richmond gave her son.

--Singer

Posted by drooler on 05-18-06 at 09:19 AM
What you said! I really had a soft spot for Elliott though, and I thought he needed the win more than any of the final four. He still needed some coaching. Someone will surely, surely give him a chance.

Posted by rn4stork on 05-18-06 at 10:27 AM
must admit Elliot was a gracious man.
now can the rest of America be as gracious with the remainin 2?
Reading these boards....from another country shows just how inconsiderate you all are.....(ie the severe BASHING and HATRED on ALL the boards relating to AI)
Can America be gracious? Read these blogs and boards.

Posted by singer on 05-18-06 at 12:09 PM
I understand your point, rn4stork. There is something about the culture of this country that lends itself to ugliness and nastiness when it comes to these matters. The meaness seems to have accelerated during the past past 5 or 6 years, at least by my lights. I am embarrassed by it, to be quite frank. It reminds me of the hateful attitudes that I read existed during the 60s and 70s in this country, when people were faced with major social changes. There was a lot of distrust and hate between groups of people in those days, probably because people were afraid. People need to get a grip, even if they think that this country is going to hell in a handbasket. (And I believe that it is, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

I can only hope that there will be positive social changes for the better in years to come, and that this positivity will be expressed in our vehicles of popular culture--like television and radio and movies. Until there is a shift, we will continue to be served heaping portions of the drivel that some insist on expressing about singing competitions, reality shows related to job interviews, or anything else for that matter.

I mean a few snarky comments about contestants who cannot sing is one thing. That's silly and funny.

But it gets really ridiculous when people start saying nasty things about parents and etc. making completely ungrounded comments about whether one contestant or another is a "snob" or "a drinker" or "morally loose" or whether their parents "wear underwear" or other nonsensical things like that.

All of the candidates in the top 5 deserved to be there, and they are good artists who can only get better. I don't want to hear mean things about their parents and grand parents and pet puppies or anything else. I just want to hear them sing.

I, for one, have been pleased by just about everything that I heard during the final 5 competition. They are all excellent artists with bright futures.

I feel lucky to have heard them make music.

--Singer

Posted by LisaPles on 05-18-06 at 01:03 PM
Even though I would have liked to see Elliott make it to the end, I am still really happy for him. I think he is a true gentleman and also has a phenomenal voice. One of the best things about American Idol is that we get to know a contestant like Elliott. Like so many of you, I was also touched at the warm reception he received in Richmond. He certainly deserved it.
I hope to see Elliott again and I wish him success in the future!

Posted by americanidolfan on 05-24-06 at 02:23 AM
I read your statement and I respect it. I am a mother of two, and I am sure that it is hard for the parents to read the remarks about their children; I know it would be for me. But, I must say that it really made me feel bad for Kats paprents when she made it seem on national T.V. like oh well if I talk to my family or not... again I felt so bad for her parents. I feel like that could of been handle in a more tasteful manner. I guess the reason that I feel the way I do is it could be that Elliott made sure that his mother/family was apart of his world while on American Idol; along with some other contestants as well. I also feel that those who auditioned, good or not; should not be made fun of... silly or fun intented; atleast those who had tried out had the nerve to do so. I am not disputing your thoughts, because you are right in some degree. I have had my laughs as well; but I also thought... bless their hearts...their really trying. I do praise and pray for all the contestants and parents. It's like the judges said...each week you have only one shot at this competition to win American Idol.

"WARNING - rn4stork "
Posted by Bebo on 05-18-06 at 02:20 PM
Please read our community guidelines. While we permit posters to make both positive and negative comments about reality shows and participants, we do not permit posters to bash other posters.

Posted by opinionated on 05-18-06 at 02:01 PM
The Richmond Times Dispatch has run articles on Elliot throughout this entire competition. He really is such a nice, humble, guy. If you'd like to read some of the past articles, the website is www.richmondtimesdispatch.com. Just do a search under "Elliot Yamin." He also made the front page today, so you can click on those links if you'd like.

Posted by NewFan on 05-19-06 at 02:50 PM
I myself have been a huge fan of Elliott's ever since Kat started getting a little uppity. I truly hope Elliott's singing career takes off. I think he truly deserves it!

I also thought that his exit performance on AI was one of his best. I didn't care much for that song the night before (I'd never heard it before), but he FINALLY seemed to have loosened up a bit! He was walking around and moving to the music, and I really wish he could have lost some of his obvious nerves during the previous several weeks. He might still be in this thing!

But you can't deny his powerful, moving voice; and hopefully that will really shine through on upcoming CDs.

Posted by SeniorCitizen on 05-19-06 at 05:37 PM
Have you ever seen pictures of young Frank Sinatra? Elliot isn't a 'hunk' but if he is taken under the appropriate wing and given the career nourishment his talent deserves, he could become a familiar figure in the music world. His voice seems more attuned to tunes that could appeal to the 'older generation' which is getting larger and more influential all the time. Instead of seeing him surrounded by guitar and bass players at concerts, I think of him as more of a 'crooner', solitary on the stage, making lovely sounds with solid, melodic songs.