URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 632
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"An update for anyone who is interested."

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 01:21 AM
Okay. First off, I have to say "hey" to everyone here. I realize that I made a few posts in the past and then *poof* I was gone. My reason for that was due to my 'contractual obligations' to NBC. I would have loved to stick around and offer insight into the show but I had to be a good boy.

I've been reading a lot of boards today and noticed a lot of people were wondering what has happened between Anna and myself over the course of this past year.

Here it is folks...
There has been a lot of talk since the end of the show last night that Anna chose me as a 'safety.' People have been saying that the show was rigged. People have been saying that her and I shared no 'spark' and she was coaxed into her decision. I can assure you that it was her decision and her decision ALONE. The producers of NBC didn't even know her decision until she delivered it to Rocky.

Anna and I made the decision (her decision obviously counted more than mine!) that finding a lasting friendship and seeing how things developed from there was more important than lust and good looks. She and I found equality in each other, common interests, common goals etc. BUT... we both left the show as friends and I could ask for nothing better.

It's been almost a year (wait... it HAS been a year) since the show was taped and over the course of that year, we've stayed in touch via phone calls and e-mails. Due to the 'secrecy' issue that follows almost ALL reality shows, we were not allowed to be seen in public together which meant that for the entire time we were all waiting for the show to air, we haven't been able to see each other. I'm sure this is what most of the viewers expected.

Currently, I am very happy in a relationship which developed unexpectedly out of a friendship pre-show. Anna and I are STILL in touch and she is extremely supportive.

I have to say... I've been reading boards and comments all over the internet and people aren't giving Anna near enough credit for what she went through on the show. She is truly an amazing person. She's caring, compassionate, intelligent and genuine.

So as things stand... I accomplished everything I set out to accomplish by going on the show. I've met some amazing people, done things I'll probably never have the chance to do again, done things I'll definitely never WANT to do again (ie. wear silly red wrestling outfits and eat 8-billion sloppy joes) and maintained my integrity and my self respect. The friendships that I've formed on the show I have no doubt will last for the rest of my life (included my friendship with Anna).

So although there are those of you out there who will probably respond with "I figured as much" ... I will say that NEITHER of us knew what would happen when all was said and done. Anna said "I can't promise anything" and I respected her greatly for that as I too could promise nothing... how COULD we?! We knew things would be day-by-day and there is no way to fully comprehend what tomorrow will bring. So regardless of the fact that Anna and I never found a relationship together, I can honestly say that I have love for her and will always treasure the experience we were both a part of.

So here I am... working my butt off on my illustration work which can be seen here at www.lumpstuff.com, preparing myself to go back to school, planning a reunion of sorts for the rest of the 'Average Joes' and living a happy life with my girlfriend.

Anna is working her butt off, trying to start her own business (which I think will be extremely successful), spending time with family and close friends and riding the last wave in this insane adventure.

I realize there will be a lot of questions and I'll do my best at answering them all. I just felt it necessary to let everyone know what's going on as of late.

And I don't know if I made the point I was TRYING to make so I will give it one last go...
... regardless of the fact that Anna and I are not dating, I believe what we BOTH got from our experience on the show was and will continue to be extremely fruitful both in our lives (and hopefully) the lives of the viewers. I spoke with her today and the both of us have had an amazing response from people... thanking us for being who we are, thanking us for giving them hope, thanking us for staying true to ourselves. We are both extremely flattered and AMAZED that something like a reality tv can affect the lives of so many people and to be honest with you... I still feel as though I don't deserve the response that I've gotten as I've done nothing but be myself.

So now that I've written a novel, I will leave you with...
"To those who have shown their genuine support of the castmembers on the show... I thank you. I hope you all had as much fun WATCHING the show as we had creating it."

Thanks (even to those of you with 'negative feedback.' As an artist, I've come to appreciate even negative criticism ;)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: An update for anyone who is interested."
Posted by motormouth on 07-29-05 at 01:29 AM
Thank you very much for coming back to give us an update. I was very happy that she chose you, not so much because I felt that there was a "love connection" (hard to do in a short time while being filmed) but because you seemed like a better man all around, than Rocky. I am very happy you have found someone special, and I wish you both good luck!

A totally rockin' RollDdice design

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:04 AM
Thank you!
It's nice to know that people other than myself and Anna understand how difficult and unrealistic it is to find a 'love connection' in as little time as there was and in such a strange situation. I think everyone is very happy with the outcome.

Obviously Anna and myself are happy with the ending. We are great friends and that is all anyone could ask for.

Posted by RealityMom on 07-29-05 at 02:00 AM
Nathan,
I'm so happy that you're at such a good point in your life and that you're pleased with your reality show experience. There was never anything "average" about you and I'm sure your girlfriend knows it. I congratulated you on your earlier thread (and asked some questions) but just want to reiterate now that I've always loved Hostess cupcakes and that you won this mother over. Best wishes in the future with your illustrations and in your relationship. Thanks so much for visiting.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:02 AM
RealityMom.
Thanks so much for the words. I think one of the best things to come out of this experience so far (which I didn't realize until yesterday) was that this show has seemingly affected A LOT of people. I've been getting tons of e-mails from both men and women, congratulating me and thanking me for remaining genuine on the show, giving them 'hope' and better understanding themselves and coming to appreciate who they are. I had NEVER imagined in my wildest dreams that my time on a reality show would have this sort of response... even if it is merely fleeting.

I hope that you enjoyed the show as much as I enjoyed being a part of it.

p.s. Yes. I think my girlfriend feels the same way as you :p

Posted by mmm_link on 07-29-05 at 08:10 AM
My only comment is I can't understand why producers want to wait for a whole year before showing a show about two people supposedly falling for each other. Seems like a cruel way to control the lives of two people for a year. Best of luck Nathan.

Posted by libgirl2 on 07-29-05 at 09:41 AM
>My only comment is I can't
>understand why producers want to
>wait for a whole year
>before showing a show about
>two people supposedly falling for
>each other. Seems like
>a cruel way to control
>the lives of two people
>for a year. Best
>of luck Nathan.

I agree, if two people are really liking each other they need to see each other to find out if things can develop. To keep them apart just kind of kills it. And I agree Good Luck Nathan, you really are a doll... I like cupcakes ;)

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 09:58 AM
I think we would ALL agree that to develop a newfound friendship/relationship... you need to be able to see the other person and spend time with them. Especially in a situation such as this, there is the possibility that either person could be COMPLETELY different with no cameras around so yeah, you'd hope that NBC would understand this and provide for something.

... but... (and NOT to talk smack about NBC in particular)... these are reality shows. shows produced with entertainment and money in mind. although the experience is VERY real for the contestants involved, the companies that produce such shows don't REALLY care too much about what love connections or friendships may have developed during the show... they care about whether or not they're show will get good ratings. whether the ending will remain a surprise etc.

Thanks so much for your kind words.
I think I need to make a t-shirt that merely says "cupcake" on it.

Posted by libgirl2 on 07-29-05 at 01:49 PM
>>
>
>Thanks so much for your kind
>words.
>I think I need to make
>a t-shirt that merely says
>"cupcake" on it.

That would be... um... interesting? lol! Serious though you are a really cool guy... I thought you were a doll even pre-makeover. Actually you look like and ex of mine! Take care and have fun, you deserve it! BTW.... since you like indy films... ever see Evil Dead??

Posted by ladro on 07-29-05 at 09:29 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-05 AT 09:30 AM (EST)

People have made a lot of comments on this board, but "the show is rigged" is not one of them. I suppose it is possible that posters on other boards have made such remarks, but I am inclined to think that you are just misinterpreting some comments. I do think that Anna had some knowledge which Melanoma and Larrrrisa did not have (obtained either from her own preshow research, her agent/friend's research, or from the Joes), that she would look bad if she picked a Himbo in the end.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 09:41 AM
Wow, Nathan. You bummed me out. It is a shame that things couldn’t work out. I was hoping even if they didn’t that you guys would at least get the chance to try and make things work and it appears you didn’t. Damn NBC!

Anyways, I am happy you are happy and you seem like a great guy. Don’t take the criticism some cynics give you to heart. There are people out there that get their jollys out of bashing Reality Show Contestents. It was bound to happen and honestly I don’t think anyone (including the critics) dislike you in anyway. They are just natural cynics and people who are not happy in their own lives.

Good luck to you in everything you do. Have fun with your new friends and take this experience and use it to better your live.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 09:53 AM
Aww. Hehe. I didn't mean to ruin your day!! Consider this though... Anna chose me for the very fact that we WOULD remain friends, regardless of whether a relationship were to develop out of it. Happily, we are both still very good friends and it continues to grow everyday.

As for not getting a chance to make things work... this is true. I will admit that NBC (or any channel for that matter) doesn't make it very easy for contestants on these sorts of shows to DEVELOP a real relationship post-show. But... it's what I signed up for. I'm more than happy with the outcome of the show. MORE than happy. It's been a great experience for all parties involved.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I did my best to maintain a hearty sense of 'self' during the show regardless of what that meant for the outcome or the opinion of the 'critics' in the end. Although as I mentioned in my conversation with Anna... I HAVE always been seen as slightly odd by my peers, it has taught me over the years how to better cope with the opinions of others... ie.. not worry so much about them :p

Thanks again.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 09:47 AM
I wrote this as a response to ALL boards. There are a LOT of people across the internet who are all curious about the same thing.

This board has been relatively tame compared to some that I've been reading so no... I wasn't misinterpreting. People have said "the show is rigged" quote for quote.

Anna may have had some previous understanding of the show which the two previous girls did not. I don't have any information on that. Talking with Anna regularly over this past year, she has assured me that she is very happy with the decision she made... not because she would have looked bad picking a 'himbo' as you put it, but because she understood the reality of the situation. Obviously Rocky and I are two VERY different people. She could have chosen him and had a fling or she could have chosen me and had the foundation for a possible relationship but if nothing else, a really great friendship. As I said in my earlier post... people are not giving her enough credit. She is a strong person and had she made the decision to choose Rocky in the end, she would have stuck with it and not cared what the public thought.

Posted by mommy2bree on 07-29-05 at 09:39 AM
Well, Nathan...we all thought you were a great guy. I agree with the previous poster that stated it was mean to wait a year to air this...what if you and Anna had actually had a major love connection? I don't know of many new relationships that can withstand not seeing each other at all for a year. Seems that even if you HAD truly fallen for each other, (thinking of someone with the level of feelings that Arthur had) it seems that the relationship would have pretty much been doomed. Now, I know I'll be bashed from other posters with examples of how their aunt's third cousin's hairdresser's son went for a year without seeing his girlfriend after they had just started dating, and now they've been married for 10 years or some such...but I'd say the majority of new relationships couldn't withstand the stress it would add.

That being said, congratulations to you and your new relationship. I am happy for you, and glad that AJ gave you the opportunities it has, and perhaps the confidence to pursue your relationship. Are any of our other favorite AJs in relationships now? Would love an update from them, as well...but they've all been pretty quiet on this board since the finale.

Thanks for posting to us. We were all pulling for an AJ to "win" this time. Good luck in the future.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:12 AM
mommy2bree.

Thank you for your response. It was in NBCs best interest that the show wasn't aired immediately after it was taped due to ratings issues and a lot of other things I'm sure. It did make things difficult for Anna and myself to 'develop a relationship' but when we both returned to our lives back home it would have been difficult regardless. We were pulled from our lives to be on the show and upon returning home, there was SO much work for the both of us. We stayed in touch as I've said and I can be none happier than with the overall outcome than I am.

To be honest, the thing that makes me the feel the best is... the REALITY behind the show. And now, here we are a year later, able to share that reality with the viewers. I had always been concerned that my memories of the show and the situation in general would be 'skewed' and pushed and tweaked until it wasn't how I remember it to be but I think both the outcome and the fact that I can now share my opinions makes people feel more at ease about everything. This is life and for the time we spent on the show... it was OUR lives and our memories being created. There is nothing unreal about it for any of the people who took part.

I'll try and get the rest of the guys to come back and make some updates on their lives. I know for certain that we're all very busy with our lives right now, not because of the show but because we've had a year to integrate ourselves back into the real world and start pursuing those things which we put off to be on the show.

I'll see what I can do
Thanks again!

Posted by SilverStar on 07-29-05 at 09:52 AM
Thanks for giving us an update, Nathan. Glad to hear you are doing well.

I don't think any of us are too surprised to hear that you and Anna are not together in a romantic relationship sense. Not because you didn't like each other or have chemistry, but because it's just the nature of reality tv relationships. They almost never last. I can think of maybe 3 relationships that lasted a good while after the show, and I have watched a ton of reality tv.

Anyway, thank you for visiting with us here on the site. Getting to know you guys here made it seem more real, and it made the show much more fun for me.

I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
Lucky girl, that girlfriend of yours.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:19 AM
So long as it can all now seem more 'real' to the viewers.
If there's anything I hope to come from this experience it's to let the viewers understand that although the situations might be slightly surreal.. the experience itself was VERY real for everyone involved. I was afraid when all was said and done that my memories of the show would be swallowed up by the 'reality tv' aspect of it but I'm glad that I am now able to share those memories and some amount of the 'other side' of reality tv.

Posted by true on 07-29-05 at 10:05 AM
Nate!

Thanks for stopping by to let us know how things are going.

You were great on the show, and your makeover was amazing. You are a great looking guy. Fixed or not, Anna made the right decision. The way that I looked at the choice is that if I knew that I wasn't ready to marry either finalist, why not pick the one who is genuine, smart, and fun to be around. You were clearly that finalist. No offense to Rocky, who seemed like a nice enough guy, but it was clear to me that he was there to further his career, not make a love connection. Props to Anna for making the smart choice.

Good luck, and thanks for posting!

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:14 AM
True!

Thank you for responding and being understanding of the situation. It's nice to know that people DO actually understand her decision and do not immediately jump to the conclusion that she made her decision only because she was afraid of being talked 'bad' about. She is MUCH better than that!

Thanks also for your kind words. I still don't know if I feel more at 'home' as the scruffy me or the 'made-over' me. It's all part of finding yourself I think (something my mother tells me I worry too much about).

Thanks again!

Posted by kryp on 07-29-05 at 10:13 AM
Nathan, sorry things didn't work out with Anna...

So,can I have her phone number?

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 10:17 AM
haha!

suuuuuuuuuuuuuure you can have her phone number!

it's uh... er... um..

555-123-4567??

not sure if that's right but let me know and I'll get back to you ;)

Posted by twerp1966 on 07-29-05 at 11:16 AM
Hey Nathan,
How you doing?
I thought you were a great example of what a real person could be on a show like AJ.
I was rooting for you all along and thought you were so gracious and "real" especially when you were talking with Anna's mom. She really is a great person and not for a second do i believe that she chose you to look good. I really do think she is a genuine and caring person. Heck for her to change Carson's mind that is proof enough.
Even though you were shy and reluctant to look at Anna in the eye, you still were able to come through in the end. It is obvious that the life coaching didnt matter, you coached yourself and found your voice.
Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well and best wishes for ou and your girlfriend. I for one, and i am sure i am speaking for plenty of others here, really do appreciate you taking the time to come on this board and talk to us.

Thanks again,
S.

Posted by HZW on 07-29-05 at 11:28 AM
Hey Nathan,

Just wanted to say hi. Hildee

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 12:04 PM
HILDEEEEEE!
Hey there

Posted by freakusmaximus on 07-29-05 at 11:51 AM
Hey Nathan:
You were clearly the best pick and I am glad that Anna saw that. I am sure you have watched the show by now and have seen that when she was with Rocky that had NOTHING to say to each other. there were these really long silences that were pretty funny. also when she was on dates with Arthur the stuff he said we just so over the top I think any girl would be freaked out. you and her definitely had normal conversation (sparked by you) and seemed the most comfortable and normal together.
anyway the question that I have is along the lines of what some of the other people were asking you. I have seen all of the average joe series and the first 2 girls (malena and larrisa) were very different than anna. they acted shocked and offended when they saw the "average" guys getting out of the bus. also during those seasons neither of those girls even kissed any of the average joes, acted sort of snobish about it. anna on the other hand, seemed less shocked. she also kissed almost everyone that she had a solo date with, including the average joes. do you think maybe the producers gave her a little background before hand or many they sought out someone who would be less stuck up and go with the flow? either way the show was definitely more entertaining and real to watch. I think she was really good and very real.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 11:57 AM
Actually you are wrong. Both of the other girls kissed the Joes too.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-29-05 at 12:06 PM
I agree.
I think it's part of the staple diet of these shows.

As for whether the producers had some hand in that... you know as much as I do but I definitely have my opinion (which I'm probably not allowed to share)

Posted by Sea_Myst on 07-29-05 at 11:28 AM
THATS SO AWSOME THAT "NATHAN" GOT PICKED BUT REALLY SUCKS THAT IT TAKES SO LONG FOR THE SHOW TO AIR....BUT ITS AWSOME THAT YOUR HAPPY NOW..WITH YOUR NEW GF..I PERSONALLY WISH YOU THE BEST OF THE BEST..YOUR A NICE GUY...AND VERY HANDSOME!

LAURIE B

PORT ARANSAS TEXAS

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 11:45 AM
thank you!

Posted by bullzeye on 07-29-05 at 12:06 PM
I must concur with the many other posters who believe that Anna made the correct choice and must also thank you and congratulate you for your honest and articulate answers to our many questions. I think you are quite right to suggest that it is not realistic to make empty promises of love after such a short time together. A number of posters have appropriately suggested that NBC did not give enough of an opportunity to really get to know the contestants and allow the contestants to get to know each other - perhaps that prevented the opportunity to do so. If, at the end of the day, you can walk away with a lasting friendship (with Anna and the others), then that is remarkable in and of itself. Best wishes with your girlfriend and your career Nathan.

Posted by DonnaLynn on 07-29-05 at 12:43 PM
Nathan,

Thanks for coming back and telling us your story. I am so happy for you and the fact that you are in a relationship. It is a shame that this thing was taped so long ago. Seems like even if you guys were a right fit together that it would have been all but impossible to let things bloom. (In this day and age, there is no reason it should take a year to get a show on the air! Within 2 weeks of the ending, it should have been edited and ready for air. Don't the execs see they are toying with people here?)

Ok, now that my rant is over... I was one of the people who was very disapointed in the ending because I didn't see any spark with you guys, however, after hearing your side of the story, I feel much better with the outcome. I am so glad that both of you have grown from this experience and I wish you both nothing but the best of luck in the future!

Thanks again for giving us insight into this show and what's been going on. This is better than a reunion show!!!!

--Donna :~)

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 11:46 AM
thanks so much

Posted by luv2sk82 on 07-29-05 at 12:49 PM
Hey Nathan,
Thanks for being so open. It's cool to see someone being so honest when usually these shows are shrouded in secrecy. My question is, do you still keep in touch with "average" Josh? I just think he's so hot and seems like a really sweet guy. He took it very well when Anna booted him off the island, surprisingly enough, considering how much he seemed to dig her.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 11:50 AM
There is still a lot that obviously I can't talk about due to my contract with NBC but I am fully able to offer my own opinions and thoughts on the experience.

As for 'average' Josh.. yes. He and I keep in touch... quite often. Let me guess... you want his phone number ;)

hehe. He is THE (not even ONE of the).. THE most genuine, selfless, caring, kindhearted guys I've ever met. He would do anything for anyone and I'm not even sure -I- could compare to that. I called him after the episode with his solo date with Anna and told him that I felt he should have been standing on that pier with Anna just because of who he is.

He will do amazingly well with his life (already is/has) and we'll remain friends until we're 85 and sitting on some porch in a rocking chair laughing about "Average Joe."

Posted by Moother on 07-29-05 at 01:53 PM
I am really glad to hear that you are happy with your life and that things have gone well for you since the show. However, I am disappointed too because it appears that there is never any real intention of letting either the "Average Joe" or the "Hunk" have any kind of a relationship develope with Anna. There is no way to keep 2 people apart for a year and have any chance of a relationship. Since they do this on purpose it seems pre-determined.
I am not saying you have'nt had some benefit from this experience because you did meet some nice people, you traveled, and had a couple of dates in places the normal guy wouldn't have a chance to go. It probably also opened your eyes to what you can truly offer someone. It just doesn't allow what we Average Janes in the audience would like to believe can happen.
I have always assumed this type of programing was purely for entertainment value because IMHO there is no way that a person can be "falling" for someone if every night they are smooching with someone else. There is either an attraction which you build on or you keep looking elsewhere. This is the same problem I find with The Bachelor show. Mostly these shows just let us have a peak into the lives of other people and see that some are worse off than we are to make us feel better.
Sad isn't it?

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 02:08 PM
Funny thing there was a show called Cupid a few years back where it seems the producers did not force the girl to kiss all the guys. She would still have to go out on dates with them but it was very apparent after a couple weeks that the girl had made up her mind and she was going thru the motions with the other guys. She even about 2/3 of the way thru told the audience who voted on the guys for her that she wanted one guy. The show quickly sank because what was the point of the show and watching her go on dates with guys just because she was forced. The show however tried to force them to get married directly after the show aired on live tv and that didn’t work either. That show kinda give insight into why these shows run the way they do. I believe that is part of the reason why they make this show short.

I do think it is a real SHAME that they make the contestants weight over a year though. NBC did the same with the Contender where they made the guys wait over a year to fight again and as a result one of the fighters committed suicide. It kinda goes to show that NBC really could give too sh*ts about the people on the shows…if it wasn’t already obvisious about AJs. I can see why Fredo (in addition to manipulating the game with the submarine) is upset and would not doubt that NBC took his idea and ran with it. NBC also has done somethings to the contestants on the Apprentice also that I know of…editing things in ways that are actually not as they happened.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 11:56 AM
Thank you for your comment

Re: "It just doesn't allow what we Average Janes in the audience would like to believe can happen."

After being on the show and meeting the people I have and learning a lot about myself and more about people and human nature in general, I truly believe that 'average joe' or 'average jane' aside... what ANYONE should take from watching the show is that in the end, when you truly learn to be yourself and accept yourself; your faults, your weaknesses, your talents etc... you will find that you can do anything. And honestly, I don't say that purely in the respect of dating because no matter what stigmas and preconceptions exist in the world... you will find yourself CONSTANTLY surprised.

As long as you are confident in who you are as a person and do everything in your power to BE that person, you will succeed in life. This means your love life, your job, your dreams and your social life.

Posted by RavenChant on 07-29-05 at 02:09 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-05 AT 02:11 PM (EST)

I was glad to see you won,you are the type of guy that most ladies look for.And to see you were from Tampa,I live in Plant City.Good luck with your future plans and I enjoyed the show this time around.Do you think you will ever go into acting?Oh lucky you getting to go to Tahiti,I would have done the show just to see that beautiful paradise,now I want to go there.

Walk in Beauty,
Wind Flower
http://windxraven.tripod.com

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 11:59 AM
Thank you
So you live out in good 'ole Plant City eh?! I hear that place has changed quite a bit over the last few years. I haven't been out there in about two years now.

As for future plans.......... no. I don't plan on going into acting. I CAN'T ACT. My own personality/quirks are too strong for me to 'become someone else.' I'm working on my art which can be seen here, I'm headed back to school and the rest is up to chance

As for Tahiti.. yes. That place was paradise (literally). Sadly, due to the fact that we weren't there on a REAL 'vacation,' I wasn't able to explore as much as I had hoped but it has given something to look back on and motivate me to get back out there on my own.

Posted by iloverob on 07-29-05 at 02:22 PM
Happy for you! But you really should have tried harder since my uncle's neighbor's mechanic's son had a relationship with a woman over the phone for 18 months and it worked out. You 2 just didn't try hard enough

Anyway, I just wanted to know what was up with Josh hunk and the crying (I watched last week's show last night before the final)? Boy he destroyed his 'game'.

Can you update us on all the other guys and what you know about their lives now?

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 02:32 PM
Nathan you live in Tampa then....how about Anna? I was wondering (if she is not from Tampa area) if that had been an issue also in your relationship? I think this is overlooked a lot when it comes to these shows.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:07 PM
Thank you.
As far as not trying hard enough... that depends on the person I would think. We obviously did what we felt we should and I wouldn't fault either of us for that as I believe everyone does what they are capable and feel they must.

As for Josh and Rocky crying. I can't offer anything but my opinion as I'm not them BUT... I was surprised myself when it happened. I honestly believe (although I may be wrong) that both of them did indeed like Anna. As we all had our own individual reason for why we were attracted to her, I'm quite sure they did as well. Without asking them... we may never know what they were. But as I've said before, we have ALL remained friends post-show and that includes Rocky, Josh and the rest of the 'hunks.'

So you want to know about the other guys eh?? I'll do my best at getting some of them here to update as I only know bits and pieces about what everyone has been up to these days.

Posted by mzskahlett on 07-29-05 at 02:38 PM
Hey Nathan!

Excellent job on the show and thanks so much for the update! I wish they would do some reunion shows because there's so many seemingly GREAT people on that show it would be nice to know how they're doing in their lives. Awesome that you found love you deserve it man! You are a rare find for sure! Anna also seemed like a real person so i hope all is well with her too! Also I must tell you i LOVE your website...in a world of mediocrity your creativity is a breathe of fresh air my friend! Take Care and best of luck in everything! Cheers!

"IDEA FOR NATHAN"
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-29-05 at 04:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-05 AT 11:20 PM (EST)

Nathan, here's an idea for you to make money. Pitch to NBC an Average Joe Olympics pitting all three seasons against each other. Then when NBC buys off on it cut me some of your residuals. I think it would be a great idea. Especially with the Dodgeball, Rollar Derby, Wrestling, Boxing, etc type challenges already on the show.

That way NBC could reunite all three seasons of Joes and they could compete against each other. There could be a 4th team of 'Hunks'.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:10 PM
Thanks for your post!

As for a reunion show... I think NBC should bring back ALL of the Joes, hunks and girls from all previous seasons for a Q&A session etc.

I'm going to try to get some of the other guys here to post an update on what's been going on in their lives.

Thanks for checking out lumpstuff.com btw.

Posted by heinousleecha on 07-29-05 at 07:22 PM
Nathan:

So glad to hear that the reality TV experience was such a great one for you. You seemed like such a nice guy. It's no surprise that you and Anna are still great friends.

I would also be interested in hearing how Josh Nachlas is doing. From the very first episode, I thought he was incredibly handsome. Then, he turned out to be genuine and kind, too! I felt bad when he was eliminated, but then was selfishly pleased that he would still be available.

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:13 PM
hehe. I think he is indeed still available.
I'm going to try to get him over here to make a few posts about what's been going on in his life. And yes... he really IS a great guy. He and I have formed an amazing friendship post-show.

Posted by ntbgirl on 07-29-05 at 07:57 PM
Nathan,
So glad to hear that everything turned out Ok afterall.

Am I the only one who CRIED at the end? My husband thought I was a dorkus maxiumus! But i married an average joe, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by LawSchool on 07-29-05 at 08:44 PM
>Nathan,
>So glad to hear that everything
>turned out Ok afterall.
>
>Am I the only one who
>CRIED at the end? My
>husband thought I was a
>dorkus maxiumus! But i
>married an average joe, and
>it was the best thing
>I ever did.
>
>Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry - Josh and Rocky also cried at the end

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:14 PM
hahaha. awwww. you CRIED??! that's no good. so long as they were tears of joy, I won't feel TOO bad!

Thank you so much.

Posted by spiceonice on 07-29-05 at 08:10 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-05 AT 08:11 PM (EST)

Nathan! What's up my friend!? I'm so happy everything's working out for you! You're looking wicked awesome, too, mon bon pote! Your illustrations rock my face off. And you've written a facking novel too, that's wonderful! I admire you, letting your creative juices flow like that. Thanks for being such a fantastic part of a great programme. xD

Stephanie

Oh, and if you do keep in touch with the other guys, tell Josh N that I think he's a facking sexpot! ^_-

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 12:15 PM
Oy!
Thank you for your kind words.
I'll let Josh know you're looking for him.

Posted by TaraHeartsRooney on 07-30-05 at 05:22 AM
Nathan,

Thank you very much for the update. I'm glad that you and Anna have remained such good friends.

Which guy from the show have you bonded with the most? Are you friends with some of the "Hunks" as well as the Joes?

Are most of the "Hunks" a lot friendlier than portrayed on NBC? I always thought that I would hate to play one of those guys on the show because America is supposed to dislike them.

Was there really that much tension between Carson and Dante?

I really wish that there was a reunion show. I would like an update from each and every guy.

Good luck in your relationship!

-Tara-

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 01:07 PM
More than welcome to update everyone!
As for the guys from the show... All of us have remained great friends but I keep in touch the most with little Josh and Aaron (who got cut early on in the season). I'm still in touch with everyone though. I just recently got an e-mail from Rocky which amazed even me. He's a good guy though... they all are.

The Hunks were as responsible for 'being themselves' as the AJs were. NBC showed what they thought would make for a good 'story' and there's a lot that the viewers didn't get to see. The so-called-Hunks are all good guys but as with the rest of the world... we're all very different.

On the same note though... yes.. there was VERY REAL tension between Carson and Dante. Carson obviously is a guy who prides himself on his masculinity and what Dante did was not going to go over well with Carson.

Thanks for everything.

Posted by Seana on 07-30-05 at 08:12 PM
Hello, Nathan

Congratulations! I enjoyed this installment of the show very much. I have read your blog, since you posted a link way back when. I must say I wondered when you mentioned having someone to spend the holidays with. Well, first I thought you had a GF (not Anna), then you won, and I figured I had it wrong, the GF was Anna. Of course, I was wrong.

At the risk of endlessly repeating myself, I really thought Anna was a genuinely sweet girl and I wish her (and you, of course) the best. Good luck with Lump and his stuff.

BTW, over on the NBC forums, Anna has posted her own after-show comments:

http://www.nbc.com/boards/AverageJoe4/thread-189815-1.html

And what fun, she sends folks to this very thread to "read it from Nathan's point of view".

Posted by Nathan Griffin on 07-30-05 at 09:59 PM
I saw her comments and I'm glad she posted them... though... the NBC forums have a tendency to be populated by people who aren't often very nice. I just hope she's ready for the response. I chose to post mine here because I'd posted here before, but it's also been posted on a few reality websites.

Posted by fonzybear on 07-31-05 at 00:54 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-01-05 AT 04:41 PM (EST)

Hey NWAYTON (Anna's mom pronounced your name that way )

First things first, the number you posted for Anna is not working...can you post her cell then??

Jokes aside, I have alot of respect for you coming to Anna's defence here through this forum. We all speculate what motives people have and although I always maintained her being her true self, I have heard the rumors and whatnot and doubted. Yet all doubts are crushed now and congrats to you for being yourself by showing kindness. I can relate because that's how I woed my wife (conned some say hehe.

Unfortunately I do feel both of you were also victims of corporate greed. Yet each one has their own lives and it's great to see you guys still are practically the best of friends. GL with your new GF and if ever your in Montreal, email me up and we'll hook you up with a massage as I am a therapist. Yes I'm dead serious hehe, and tell Anna I say hi.
Kenny

"We are all interested!!!"
Posted by PeggiC1107 on 08-01-05 at 02:14 PM
It is nice to hear that you both are remaining friends. That is something that will last a lifetime!

Our company watched and hoped for the best as we all work with your second cousin here in a small town in New England!

Both your and Anna's honesty and sincerety was very evident and we wish you both tremendous happiness and success!

Your letter to Anna, before you were initially sent off, brought tears to everyone, not just Anna. It was obvious the feelings she had and how you moved her.

BEST WISHES!!!!

"RE: We are all interested!!!"
Posted by Nathan Griffin on 08-01-05 at 03:12 PM
Hehe. So long as you're all still interested :p
And yes, I couldn't agree more... friendship is something that will last a lifetime and although I've been lucky and remained friends with the majority of my ex's... it doesn't always happen that way, so I'm more than glad that we left the show as friends and still are!

As for my cousin? Are you referring to Robert?

Thanks so much for the note. I'm contemplating making a request to Anna to allow me to 'expose' the letter I wrote to her in its entirety but that may be something she feels is to private.

"RE: We are all interested!!!"
Posted by Little Me on 08-01-05 at 11:56 PM
Nathan! You are definitely one awesome guy I am very happy the show ended this time around with a "Joe" getting the girl. And not just any Joe, but ooooh.. Nathan! I had to let you know that I liked both you and Anna a lot during the course of the show. I am sad to know you two never got a chance to really get to spend time together and be around each other. I wish you would have had more of the opportunity to do so because I would have loved to hear an update saying you were together still, but alas I know how reality (away from cameras) can be and I am still extremely happy that you have someone you love in your life and that things are still great between you and Anna. Please let her know she's definitely well-liked and has won a new fan!

By the way, I loved your artwork. You are even more talented than you let on in the show. I already think you are cute as heck, but if you wore a t-shirt that said "Cupcake"... oooh baby, you'd be one word: Yummy!

From a woman who married her best friend, to someone who understands the real way to find love is through friendship, I say, be well, congrats and many happy wishes for the future!

Posted by Rocket on 08-01-05 at 05:56 PM
Wow, what a world we live in where we can interact with people who play themselves on TV! Props to you, Nathan, for being enough of a geek to get in touch with your fans (compliment, not a put down). I enjoyed your presence on the show, and in fact you seemed super familiar to me throughout, although not as much after your makeover. I think you remind me of a colleague down the road.....

Anyway, this season of AJ struck a particular chord with me, and I'm not sure which chord yet, or why. I suppose it's cool that I can post here and get direct feedback from you so I can figure that out, lol.

Some of my favorite lines by you...(paraphrased)

1. Hell yea I've got a bounce in my step
2. I love my new teeth!
3. Beefcake/cupcake

So, here's a real question I suppose, did you do the design for lumpstuff.com? Written in .php, does it use anything nuke (post, php, etc) related?

Posted by AStefanie on 08-02-05 at 03:36 AM
Nathan
Try as I might, I didn't get a chance to watch much of AJ after the first episodes....I only have a snapshot of your relationship with Anna from the promo's. My updates mostly came from the AJ boards, after the fact. I can "read" that you are one very nice guy from your posts. And I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to address the posts presented. What an awesome forum for communication with a 'Joe' !
Good luck with all your future endeavors. Steph

Posted by girlygirl99 on 08-02-05 at 06:13 PM
Nathan:

First of all, I was glad you won and I am glad you have found so much happiness in your life. I am happy that you've chosen to post information about yourself for fans of the show. These things end and everyone always wants to know more and I appreciate that you've provided us some closure!

I'm not sure if any of the other "joes" read these postings, but I just wanted to tell all of you how much respect I have for you. It takes so much to put yourself out there on television for millions of viewers. And with reality TV--there is no rehearsal. You guys let people see what you were really feeling at the time. There are not many people who would come clean about their emotions to their best friends, let alone the public! You all should be very proud of yourselves for being brave enough to let us in on your lives for a few weeks.

That being said--best of luck to all of you. I hope that there are great things happening in all your lives like they are for Nathan and Anna. If you can survive a show like "Average Joe," you can do anything.

Posted by marez on 08-03-05 at 08:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-03-05 AT 08:23 PM (EST)

Nathan, you are an inspiration to alot of people who have probably watched the whole average joe series.. You may even be an idol to some of us... you can't put it into words how much you changed over the fourth season... which was probably just a few weeks... your change in confidence and will certainly took a huge turn.. As a fan I'm way to proud of you... not alot of people could have did a 180 like you did. Glad you’re happy in your life and in your self more. Good for you! I am certainly one proud fan... I have never seen anyone take life by the throat and shake out all the tough times.
You’re the man! I got your back any time heh
Great web site by the way as well.
Cheers

Jeff