URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 622
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Ashford & Simpson???"

Posted by greenmonstah on 03-30-04 at 08:23 PM
WTF...couldn't they find anyone else in Motown besides these two stiffs? Smoky Robinson? Aretha Franklin? Lionel Richie?

I would even take Nicole Richie...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Ashford & Simpson???"
Posted by leogirl_21 on 03-30-04 at 08:40 PM
I don't even know who they are..!?!?!?!?

Posted by I_AM_HE on 03-30-04 at 08:46 PM
you do NOT want Smoky Robinson. he was a judge last year and he was worse than Paula!!!

Posted by popcorn_with_sam on 03-30-04 at 11:31 PM
They made Paula look good.

Posted by J Slice on 03-30-04 at 11:37 PM

That guy's hair?

OMG.

That was Billy Ray Cyrus bad.

The adventerously kinky Kittyloaf®: accept no substitutes.

Posted by ginger on 03-31-04 at 11:51 AM
Clearly Ashford and Keith Carridine share the same stylist. Carridine's weave on Deadwood (he's Wild Bill Hickock) looks exactly the same.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by dangerkitty on 03-31-04 at 01:09 AM
I think the Botox fairy got a wee bit over-zealous.

Posted by niteowl on 03-31-04 at 01:31 AM
My poor 11 yr.old daughter covered her eyes everytime he spoke! What's up with the eyebrows and the eye makeup? He reminded me of the Cowardly Lion!!!

Posted by I_AM_HE on 03-31-04 at 01:34 AM
OMH!! LMAO! Botox fairy! Cowardly Lion!!! *gasping for air*

Posted by smiley on 03-31-04 at 07:33 AM
OMH that's hilarious!

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

Posted by Asrai on 03-31-04 at 04:38 AM
I thought it was a little bit Dawn of the Dead meets AI, or a bad Michael Jackson Thriller video with AI guest judges!

Whatever it was, it was very scary!!

Sigpic crafted by the master himself, IceCat!

"Stoned Again"
Posted by ElroyJetson on 03-31-04 at 06:44 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-04 AT 06:49 AM (EST)

How stoned was Nickolas Ashford?? Man, his eyes were glassy and BLASTED. Anyone got a screen cap?

Just say no to one hit wonders

"No more guest judges! Please!"
Posted by AugustGirl on 03-31-04 at 07:11 AM
I hate the guest judge idea. They don't do anything but fawn over all the contestants and give out false praise. There is nothing constructive coming out of any of their mouths. I think the only one I liked was Gladys Knight from last year, but I don't even really remember anything she said, just that she called Reuben the "Velvet Teddy Bear". So, I think I liked her.

Please stop with the guest judges already!

However, I'm sure Simon appreciated being seated two down from Punching Paula.

"RE: No more guest judges! Please!"
Posted by greenmonstah on 03-31-04 at 08:21 AM
I think Elroy and Team Joisey would make great judges...

Or that fancy Mizz Eve...she has a glamourous screen name

Posted by applesugar on 03-31-04 at 08:51 AM
You guys are just to young to know who Ashford and Simpson are.
They had it going on in the Motown days and were very successful. I can agree that they are not very honest with there comments, though.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 03-31-04 at 09:13 AM
I'm old enough to remember them but I agree there was nothing constructive about what they were telling the contestants. I thought last night was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I didn't like hardly any of the performances. The only ones that were remotely palatable were Fantasia and Latoya. It was just plain old dreadful IMHO.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"Dook ....still sux"

Posted by ginger on 03-31-04 at 11:52 AM
C'mon, you don't like George?

Just a little?

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

Posted by CantStandToLook on 03-31-04 at 04:55 PM
I like George but his voice is so scratchy it kinda hurts my ears...and what's with the bouncing...it's like he's stuck in one of those baby bouncers you hang from the door or something.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"Dook ....still sux"

Posted by ValleyGirl on 04-01-04 at 11:32 AM
Cantstandtolook:
I agree with your comments all except for one thing!!

Duke Wins!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ElroyJetson on 03-31-04 at 09:22 AM
According to www.allmusic.com (a GREAT site BTW) they were rather successful in the R&B genre. I only remember their hit Solid. It looks like their first big song was ironically called Let's go get stoned written for Ray Charles in 1966. I'm not making this up.

Just say no to one hit wonders

Posted by ginger on 03-31-04 at 11:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-04 AT 11:54 AM (EST)

I think we have to give them credit. They were more than one hit wonders.

That being said, unless Johnny Rotten comes on and spits at the hopefuls, I want an end to guest judgery. It is too hard for them to be anything but nice. We already have an overabundance of treacle from Paula.

"Ashford & Simpson"
Posted by AyaK on 04-01-04 at 11:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-04 AT 11:24 AM (EST)

Guess us old-timers have to ride in again to talk about A&S.

Valerie Simpson was a HUGELY talented songwriter-singer. She was the first female songwriter signed by Motown. But she needed a lot of plastic surgery, if you know what I mean.

As a teenager, she partnered with the good-looking (at the time) singer Nick Ashford --- I always figured that he was with her because of her talent (even after her first plastic surgery, she was not attractive, although ultimately she ended up OK) and the fact that she was willing to make him appear as if he were talented, and she was with him because of his looks (because he was good-looking and had an OK voice, but she was superbly talented).

Motown signed Valerie, and then she ended up bringing Nick along as a writing team. They were the songwriting team given primary responsibility for the Marvin Gaye-Tammi Terrell duets ("Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing," "You're All I Need to Get By"), and they worked with Diana Ross when she quit the Supremes ("Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)"). Their single biggest-selling composition was probably "I'm Every Woman," which both Chaka Khan (in the 1970s) and Whitney Houston (in the early 1990s) turned into a hit. (Yes, I know Mizz Eve already said this, but hey, I hadn't read that far down the thread when I decided to respond. )

Eventually, Motown recorded Val as a fairly successful solo artist, but they wouldn't record the duet -- so the two of them jumped to WB, where they got married and became successful, if not record-setters, as a team. "Solid" was indeed their biggest hit, but they'd been stars for a decade by that time. They performed for Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1992 and for Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday in 1988.

It's no wonder that Ashford would try just about anything to hold onto his looks, now that you know that story, is it? Too bad he only succeeded in looking like Frankenstein.

Posted by missygirl3 on 03-31-04 at 04:51 PM
I agree Augustgirl. Just keep the 3 they have.

Posted by Mizz Eve on 03-31-04 at 11:41 AM
They're producers and songwriters. They wrote "You're All I Need To Get By" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" for Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. They wrote "Reach Out and Touch" for Diana Ross. "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan and later Whitney Houston. They were part of Motown's heyday of the late 60s. Very fitting guest hosts for the theme. I think that all guest hosts tend to be nice to the contestants. Why should they be any different?

Posted by hunniebunns on 03-31-04 at 04:25 PM
Holy Crap, Mizz Eve....I had NO idea they had written all those songs! I knew they were good but not that good.
I agree that I don't like the guest judges because they are going to be nice. I just don't see them lamblasting the contestants...they're going to find the good in the performance and capitalize on that...they have Simon and now Randy to be critical.

Posted by ginger on 03-31-04 at 04:56 PM
Thanking Mizz Eve for a more complete discography. There is a generational thing that results in people going Who Where Those Judges? and one decent subproduct of the AI juggernaut is that a smidgen of musical history education takes place.