URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 616
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Smith"

Posted by CouchTater on 09-23-06 at 04:54 PM
Has anyone seen this show? And what do you think?

I watched it even though the critics have panned it as a snore fest just to see if it was any good.

I had heard that it was about theives who we would feel sympathetic towards, but I found this show very violent and rather cold.

I felt no sympathy towards any of the characters except for maybe Ray Liotta's character. The one thief guy is completely devoid of any human emotion and kills just because he feels like it. The girl is rather cold as well.

I don't get this show. It wouldn't even make a good movie to me, but maybe I'm way off base here. I might watch it one more time just to see if things soften up, but I was really turned off last week.

A Tribephyl gift

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Smith"
Posted by Loree on 09-24-06 at 10:08 AM
I liked this show. But then I never listen to the critics. I didn't really feel sympathetic towards the thieves. But I found it interesting.

Posted by Glow on 09-25-06 at 11:29 AM
I liked it. Part of it being filmed in Pittsburgh probably helped. I didn't feel sympathy towards any of them. (Well, I did feel for Frankie G's character when the other dude died.) Maybe the sympathetic feelings come later.

Posted by KScott on 09-25-06 at 11:40 AM
I watched it and liked it, will miss tomorrow night though because of the Contender.

I got Bobbed
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 09-25-06 at 07:32 PM
I watched it -- it's always good to see Amy Smart (who basically got her start back on Felicity, I think) on TV.

Unfortunately I didn't think much of the show itself. And neither does Ray Loitta apparently -- I read that he already publicly ripped the show and some of the crew in a press interview. The premiere also didn't do that well in the ratings -- I'd probably put it in my Top 5 Fall 2006 Deathwatch list (do we have a deathwatch thread yet? ...if not, we need one! )

Posted by Captain_Savem on 09-26-06 at 02:49 PM
For me, the jury is still out. To me, it felt like this show didn't know what it wanted to be. The previews for tonight's episode looked pretty good though. I'll give it a couple more episodes before I give it a final grade. But right now, I'll give it a C+.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, yo.
MySpace

Posted by CouchTater on 09-26-06 at 09:50 PM
I'm going to keep watching it for now if only to try and figure out what this show wants to be. I really like the actors in this show and it seems to maybe have a good premise. But if I can't identify with any of the characters or they don't create any desire in me to want to know about them, I'll drop it.

A Tribephyl creation

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 09-27-06 at 01:35 AM
I'll watch just to see Simon Baker. Yummy!

Posted by Captain_Savem on 09-27-06 at 11:30 AM
Last night's show was much better than the premiere. I'm starting to like it.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, yo.
MySpace

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 09-27-06 at 11:54 AM
Agreed, Episode 2 was much better.

Liotta also seems to be trying to do damage control about his earlier comments -- he was on "The View" yesterday and after Elisabeth (of all people) tried to confront him about his earlier comments, Rosie quickly changed topics and let him off the hook.

Btw, "Deathwatch 2006" might already have a winner -- Fox is preempting "Happy Hour" this week already. "Justice," "Vanished," and "Standoff" also seem to potentially be in trouble.

Posted by CouchTater on 09-28-06 at 03:43 PM
I also thought the second epy was much better. I'll keep watching for now.

A Tribephyl gift

"not as good as Thief"
Posted by shakes the clown on 09-27-06 at 12:49 PM
I watched both eps and this show is definitely not as good as FX's Thief. And it basically copies Thief in just about every detail, right down to having a middleaged woman give out the "jobs".

I'll keep watching for now, but definitely not impressed, especially after watching Thief last spring.

Posted by trigirl on 11-10-06 at 09:35 AM
This is interesting. I hadn't begun watching this, but my parents were raving about it. Good news for fans.

CBS WILL STREAM ORIGINAL EPISODES OF WARNER BROS. TELEVISION'S DRAMA SERIES "SMITH" ON CBS'S BROADBAND CHANNEL, INNERTUBE, STARTING TODAY

Additionally, The Series Will Be Available For Download On AOL, Amazon and iTunes

Written Synopsis Of How The Serialized Show Was To Be Resolved Will Be Posted On The "SMITH" Web Site At CBS.com

Starting today, CBS will stream the four remaining original episodes of the prime-time drama SMITH on its broadband channel, innertube (www.cbs.com/innertube). The episodes will be available free of charge, with minimal commercial interruption, for four weeks. The first three episodes, which had already aired, will also return online so internet audiences can see all seven original episodes in their entirety. Also, a written synopsis of how the producers planned to resolve the serialized drama will be provided by the show's writers and posted on the series' website at www.CBS.com.

From The Futon Critic.